Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss' attack, driven by a force close to the limit of her ability, potentially stabs even deeper than the thought...!

    Crit Confirm:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wooooooooo-!
    (1d20+6)[21]
    Good chance of a 7. Oh, well.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T20.9: Celiss rushes forwards to strike one of the pirate mutants, gripping her sword, annoyance rushing through her. Only one spell remaining, and it wouldn't be much use on her unless she could draw the attacks of all of the pirates to herself, which wasn't a very good idea in her mind. As she thrusts her blade forwards, hoping to impale the pirate through the midsection, a flash of red covers her vision for a fraction of a second, a brief flow of energy coursing along her arm. It feels sort of like the same force that sent a wave of darkness from her before, but weaker, and more focused. Celiss' attack, driven by a force close to the limit of her ability, potentially stabs even deeper than the thought...! And yet, this thing seems to take no additional effect from being stabbed right through the heart as it only takes 8 damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since you said 'sword' ... I assume you meant the magic rapier. The only difference between the short sword and the rapier is a little more damage on the rapier, even though you can arcane strike to make your short sword strike like magic.

    R1T18: Lazer puts the healing wand away and casts PvsEvil on himself.

    R1T17: Another pirate attacks the woman.

    R1T16.9: Ka'Xet, are you going to close to melee, or throw a mindblade? There are 8 pirates ... 3 in the back line (which is the front line for you, 1 of which is wounded and threatened by Celiss), and another 2 .... and 5 cornering the woman to the south (which you really can't reach on foot without moving around in a wide arc. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-03 at 06:54 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet wades into the fray, acquires his psionic focus and proceeds to lay into the Pirate messing with Celiss.

    ATK
    (1d20+7)[11]

    DAM
    (1d6+3)[5]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  4. - Top - End - #634
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T16.9: Ka'Xet wades into the fray, and proceeds to lay into the Pirate messing with Celiss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    From d20 SRD on Concentration, Psionics section, "Gaining Psionic Focus" ...

    "If you have 1 or more power points available, you can meditate to attempt to become psionically focused. The DC to become psionically focused is 20. Meditating is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity."

    Emphasis mine. You can neither move (other than a 5' free move) nor attack in a round you refocus.

    R1T9: The last of the five pirates on the woman breaks and sloshes over to Darrius, cracking his shield elbow for 6 mod damage.

    R1T8: The pirate beleaguered by Darrius and Celiss slashes at Celiss with scimitar and bite, but is deflected.

    R1T7: Korian drops his pilum and charges forth to close next to Ka'Xet (and the wall). He gives a little jump at the end, such that he is able to attack with both rapier and claw, though both miss.

    R1T6: The wounded, not-yet-fully-diseased pirate woman using some semblance of tactical defensive combat (similar to Korian's own style). She begins her 'attack run' and taunts the pirates in front of her. "Ye picked the wrong lass to make a meal of today!"

    Her rapier and main gauche both stab into SP3's belly, then she retracts both weapons and stabs him in the right shoulder before it is destroyed (bites/ misses/ she dodges). She reaches her main gauche out left to slice SP1 in the left upper arm for 4 mod damage. (Her rapier cuts as if magical, but not so her main gauche.) A third attack with the rapier is blocked by SP1, and her third main gauche attack is likewise swatted aside.

    R1T6-5: SP7 (facing Ka'Xet) misses with his scimitar, and his bite is blocked by the xeph. SP8 (facing Korian) trades weapon strikes with the wolverine-manboy.

    End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

    R2T26-27: SP1+2 attack the woman, but fail.

    R2T22: Darrius, you are knee-deep in water facing Celiss' opponent, who is badly wounded. You also have this new savage pirate that waded in and up to your left (he broke off from those attacking the woman). What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-13 at 11:25 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius switches his focus over to the one that struck him and reaches out with one arm while the other is kept close to his body, throbbing in pain.

    Spoiler
    Show
    MTA: (1d20+4)[17]
    Elec: (3d6)[15]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  6. - Top - End - #636
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T22: Darrius switches his focus over to the one that struck him and reaches out with one arm while the other is kept close to his body, throbbing in pain. His hand wraps around the pirate's upper swordarm for a whopping 15 electricity damage before Darrius releases the short-term hold. In that single stroke, the pirate already is operating well past its normal limits.

    R2T20.9: Celiss, you are squared off against SP6, who is pretty wounded. To your fwd-right is Ka's opponent (unwounded). To your fwd-left is that pirate in the water that Darrius just shocked. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss takes another jab at the injured pirate-thing before her, hoping to take it down so she can aid her allies with their own enemies. While the thrust is quite accurate, she's unable to but as much strength into the blow as she would have liked.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attacking the injured one.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[6]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-12-15 at 03:13 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  8. - Top - End - #638
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T20.9: Celiss takes another jab at the injured pirate-thing before her, hoping to take it down so she can aid her allies with their own enemies. While the thrust is quite accurate, she's unable to but as much strength into the blow as she would have liked, stabbing it in its cutlass-shoulder for 6 damage. It seems to be operating on adrenaline now.

    R2T18: Lazer moves up behind Celiss, but reaches to his fwd-right to touch Ka'Xet with protection against evil.

    R2T17: SP4 attacks the woman.

    R2T16.9: Ka'Xet, your opponent is unwounded. The one to fwd-left (Celiss) is badly wounded. The one to fwd-right (Korian) is unwounded. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #639
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Attack the one who is badly wounded.

    ATK

    (1d20+7)[24]

    DAM

    (1d6+3)[9]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T16.9: Ka'Xet stabs to the side, hitting the badly wounded pirate in the knee for 9 damage. It bites at Ka'Xet before erupting, and all three heroes on that one manage to duck away from any splash.

    R2T9: The badly wounded one in the water with Darrius attacks the aqua-man, slamming him in the neck with what would've been a super-crit, but his adamant pauldrons protect him from further harm, and he only takes 3 mod damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy crap! Talk about lucky .... I rolled up the crit, just because I was curious what would've happened. Rolled 98% on the super-crit chart. In addition to another 4 damage, the super crit reads: "Throat cut, DC 25 Fort save or die, 3d6 Con damage on a successful save." HOLY CRAP!!! You'da needed a 15 or better natural roll on the die. Rolling for morbid knowledge, even if you saved, you would've taken 10 Con damage, dropping you by half. This would've taken you down to a mere 1 hp. Bleh. If ever there was a time to do the happy dance for your adamant pauldrons saving your butt .... now was the time
    His bite misses.

    R2T7: Korian's weapons are coated with frost. He stabs his opponent in the head for 6 weapon and 7 cold damage. His claw and bite miss, but his opponent is already working on a deficit.

    R2T6: The woman asks, "Hungry?" as she stabs the first pirate in its belly for 15 damage. "Have a taste o' me cold steel, ya' stinkin carcass!"

    She then cuts it across its right knee with her main gauche for 4 mod damage, enough for it to erupt (SP1). She then looks at SP4 well to her right and stabs him through the left elbow with the rapier for 15 damage, and stabs him in the chest with her main gauche for 3 mod damage. She makes a circular recover and stabs him in the gut to finish him off, leaving the one in front of her (not counting the 2nd line with the heroes). She makes a distracting slash with her dagger, which is blocked.

    R2T6: Ka'Xet's pirate cuts him across the right shoulder 8 damage, but the xeph just barely blocks the bite with his mindblade.

    R2T5: Fighting beyond its reserves, Korian's opponent fights quite well, but the arena champion's defenses are just too good.

    End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

    R3T24: The woman's last foe has his blade and bite battered aside easily.

    R3T22: Darrius, you have one badly wounded pirate next to you in the water. What do you do?

    Celiss on deck ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-18 at 05:26 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius reels back from the blow, motes of azure light crawling across his neck as he feels the power resting there hold tissues together that should have, by all rights, torn and ruptured. He chokes for a moment and struggles to breathe as he leans forward, intent on shocking the wounded pirate so that doesn't happen again.

    Spoiler
    Show
    MTA: (1d20+4)[24]
    Elec: (3d6)[7]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    And it seems karma is a bitch.

    Crit Confirm
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[12]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  13. - Top - End - #643
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    [Karma's just fine, my friend ...]

    R3T22: Darrius reels back from the blow, motes of azure light crawling across his neck as he feels the power resting there hold tissues together that should have, by all rights, torn and ruptured. He chokes for a moment and struggles to breathe as he leans forward, intent on shocking the wounded pirate so that doesn't happen again. He zaps the pirate in the left shoulder, blasting the bones there. The pirate snaps at him with his jaws before splashing into acid. Being in the water doesn't help as the acid quickly surges forth on the surface to get Darrius, his dragon mantle helping reduce the burns to 3 acid damage. Still, splash one more pirate, three remaining.

    R3T20.9: Celiss, only three more pirates left. One on the woman, one on Korian, but one to your fwd-right facing Ka'Xet. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-20 at 06:37 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss, if she can do so without attracting the attention of the pirate with her momentarily lowered guard, moves so that she and Ka'Xet flank it. She will then proceed to follow the family recipe for acid ka bobs by adding a healthy serving of rapier.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step into, or towards, a flanking position.
    Attack!
    (1d20+7)[17] +2 if flanking
    (1d6+4)[8]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  15. - Top - End - #645
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T20.9: Celiss, if she can do so without attracting the attention of the pirate with her momentarily lowered guard, moves so that she and Ka'Xet flank it. She gets to its right, and will flank it next turn if it doesn't move. She then proceeds to follow the family recipe for acid kabobs by adding a healthy serving of rapier, stabbing it from the side into its swordarm and through some into its chest for 8 damage.

    R3T18: Darrius' water enemy gone, Lazer splashes around the side to come up behind the Ka'Xet-Celiss pirate, now flanking with the xeph. He swings wildly, and just barely recovers so as to keep his warhammer from flying out of his grasp.

    R3T16.9: Ka'Xet, you are flanking your opponent with Lazer. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #646
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    ATK

    (1d20+9)[14]

    DAM

    (1d6+3)[9]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  17. - Top - End - #647
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T16.9: Ka'Xet tries to take advantage of the pirate being pressed, but the bulk of its attention is still on him and it is a blade-to-blade block.

    R3T7: It's become obvious that since the last battles, Korian's preparations have almost totally become focused on fighting this opponent as once again his steel, teeth, and nails are covered in frost. His rapier and claw miss, but he bites his opponent (ew!) in the head. His bite can't get through its resistance to weapons, but it still takes 5 cold damage.

    R3T6: "Jebidiah?" the woman says to her last opponent. "Is that you lad? You've looked better, boy. Here, let me send you on your way."

    She stabs him in the head for 12 damage, then across the gut for 9 damage, and finally finishes him off with a rapier to the groin, upwards into the body, splashing it. She finally takes one toss of her main gauche, which goes flying to hit Korian's opponent in the back and splashing it.

    R3T6: One pirate left, and four heroes threaten it. It just focuses its remaining rage on Ka'Xet. Its blade is blocked, but the xeph just barely gets his face away from its bite! Its breath is truly fetid, and Ka's stomach turns.

    End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

    R4T22: Darrius, you can move up to the left or right of Celiss to attack the last pirate. What do you do
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius moves in on the left side and reaches out, hoping to silence the last of the current pirates.

    Spoiler
    Show
    MTA: (1d20+4)[13]
    Elec: (3d6)[8]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  19. - Top - End - #649
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T22: Darrius moves in on the left side and reaches out, hoping to silence the last of the current pirates. He just barely brushes against the side of its belly above the hip, but that's enough to zap it for 8 electricity damage. Well below what it should fight with, and yet it is still up.

    R4T20.9: Celiss? Looks like a good hit can probably finish this thing now.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss aims for a relatively uninjured looking patch of flesh on the pirate, then attempts to convert it into acid with her rapier. While not particularly accurate, her strike has enough strength to pierce the armor of the pirate, if she hits it correctly.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stab time.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[5]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-12-24 at 05:09 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  21. - Top - End - #651
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T20.9: Celiss aims for a relatively uninjured looking patch of flesh on the pirate, then attempts to convert it into acid with her rapier. While not particularly accurate, her strike has enough strength to pierce the armor of the pirate, if she hits it correctly, only to find that the total unpredictability of this deformed creature makes it hard to know exactly what to target. She stabs at a seemingly exposed armpit as it raised its scimitar to block another attack, only to find out that his armpit has thick armor she couldn't quite pierce.

    R4T18: Lazer attacks on a flank and misses, but the attack serves to keep the monster busied.

    R4T16.9: Ka'Xet? Technically, this is 'your' opponent. Can you finish it off?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #652
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet daintily pokes with his mind blade

    ATK

    (1d20+7)[23]

    DAM

    (1d6+3)[5]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  23. - Top - End - #653
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T16.9: Ka'Xet daintily pokes with his mindblade, catching the belly. Once the tip is in the belly, however, he locks eyes with his opponent. Fear, pain, and hatred reside there as Ka'Xet far less daintily slams his blade through the belly and nicks its spine. He draws out his mindblade ... and somehow, some way, some frickin way ... this thing hasn't fallen yet. If a weapon can get past its bizarre defenses, it need only nick this thing to drop it.

    R4T7: Korian looks at Ka'Xet and teasingly says with a toothy grin, "Nice job, but you really should finish what you start."

    "Okay," he says while his weapons are coated with frost. "Last time to use this tactic."

    He hits the thing with a near-perfect shot in the upper left chest. It tires to bite at him, as usual, before splashing into acid. Korian's not as quick to dodge this time, however, and takes 5 acid damage. Ka'Xet also gets sprayed for 3 acid damage. Even Celiss gets sprayed, but her infernal resistance saves her. Darrius and Lazer manage to dodge.

    "Damn," says Korian, more appreciatively through the sting than angry, "that one was a bugger. Hard to kill, and did a fine job of going out with a splash when he did go."

    Combat Ends ...

    This woman was pure poetry in motion as she avoided the maws of the cannibals, dancing among them, her blades flashing impossibly fast. For her to have sustained the wounds she did, just watching her drop the ones she did, she really has to have had been in quite a battle. And she does seem to be sick and sporting some signs of the savage fever. She sheathes her blade, eyeing the remains of her slagged high-quality main gauche (sitting in the acid pool of the one it dropped, it since melted), she regards the PCs with a cold, appraising eye as she catches her breath as she obviously tries to figure the group out. There is no doubt that if things go sour between both parties, she would shred the heroes in record time ... she outclasses you that much, and obviously so.

    Not fully under the sway of the fever, she has some sense about her, though it does look she has to fight through a fog to find the words to speak articulately. "What manner of driftwood do we have here? Speak up! Your names, lubbers! If only so's I can cut 'em inta' yer chests and save the undertaker some askin 'round."

    While being the least able to read people, Darrius seems to be in tune most with Lazer in many ways (despite his preference for doing things 'the right way'), so he is able to note what the others miss ... though hiding it brilliantly, Lazer is less than pleased with this woman, and probably because she is so obviously a pirate. But he does make a fine show, enough to fool his other friends. "You are our savior. Maybe we would've won, maybe not, but your sacrifice and skill kept us from having to find out. I'm Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth, though you can call me Rabbi or Doctor Cohen, the party healer. The dark-skinned man is Darrius Wavebreaker, our commando tactician. The lady in red .... scales ... is Celiss Nightrom our arcane specialist. The furry adolescent with the claws and teeth is Korian, but in the arena he is called Korian the Karver to play up his 'feral' nature ... despite the rapier; he's our combat specialist. And the olive-skinned fellow with the glowing sword is Ka'Xet Moakh Kahir, utility and mobility expert; don't mind him, battle wound with a pirate injured his eye and his voicebox - he can't talk."

    "I've seen all sorts of cutters from all backgrounds put together in close spaces, but I've never seen nothin' in all of the Locker that is like the mix o' you. Not a human among ye'."

    Lazer says, "If it please you, Celiss had a human mother, and technically Darrius is fully human, but possessed of a strange mix of ancestry. But, yes, I don't think you'll find a wilder mix of people anywhere. You look like you have the fever, and I'm a healer. I have one spell left to help rid you of the disease before it takes further effect."

    There's a table there she rights before sitting on it (the chairs are smashed) and nods her head while speaking. "You've right silver speech you have, dwarf; in fact, you are about the prettiest dwarf" ... (this gets a chuckle from Korian) ... "I think I've ever seen. Which o' you lubbers can learn me what happened here at Kraken's Cove?"

    The best the party can come up with is some unknown, dark force washed over the island and turned pirate and animals alike into mutants. Some resisted, but were killed and torn to shreds by the afflicted. Lazer determines that she's strong enough to have kept the disease from advancing and so casts lesser restoration on her and the bizarre symptoms subside. It's obvious she no longer is diseased, though she still seems to suffer the lingering debilitation. She seems frustrated fighting through her fog. "What's yer business in this little piece o' hell? Yer definitely lubberly types, and not members o' the Crimson Fleet."

    Lazer, Darrius ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Crimson Fleet is the most notorious confederation of a large and mixed group of pirates from all over. While never operating at one spot, and as often at odds with each other as together, they nevertheless make for an effective raiding group. The fact that so many ships are burning in the cove mean that there was something BIG happening for so many to be here.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-27 at 05:07 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #654
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Lazer answers, "We are retainers of the honorable Lavinia Vanderboren, sent to capture her brother Vanthus Vanderboren and bring him to justice for his crimes and the shame he has brought to his name."

    As soon as she hears Vanthus Vanderboren's name, she flies into a poetic litany of profanity that lasts several seconds and is as magnificent as it is scandalous to hear. When she recovers herself, she explains as she further makes herself comfortable on the previously toppled table ....

    "All this ye see here," the flamboyant woman says as she waves her hand at the slaughtered deformities - or at least the drying aid puddles, "and what nightmares ye must have fought through t'get t' me; t'was all Vanthus Vanderboren's doing! That vomitous pig came t'me with his hussy 'n as ked t'see our wares; made like he were a black marketeer lookin' fer some fur or scale t'move. Told him we had a ship coming in today what were full of exotica for him ta' shop, so he stayed on a few nights. Seemed a fine enough chap, but then not an hour ago, he dumped a hold full of whale oil into the cove and lit it up. I was on th'Slippery Eel at the time, and that's when I caught the two of them on board, fixin t' rob me! Can ye imagine that? A pair of base curs tryin' t'rob Captain Harliss Javell? Anyway, I stuck the fool in the arm with me blade, he yelped, and then as he ducked aside he dropped what he were tryin' t'rob. Were a black pearl. One th'size o'a man's fist, mind you! Was going to make some fair coin off that bauble, but as it fell, the thing cracked like an egg. Some o'Vanthus's blood from my blade spattered the pearl, and it boiled and flashed with light. This foul, choking green gas started spewin' from it, burning through the wood like it were acid. I grabbed th'thing, ran up topside, then threw it inta' the water, but as it struck, the thing exploded!

    "After that ... things got a bit weird, mind ye. A green mist filled my vision, and I felt strange. Like someone else were in my head. Someone ... someone hungry! And the rage! Rage like I never felt 'afore! And then, just like that, it were gone. Vanthus were on deck too by then, but he and I were the only humans left. That pearl, it did something to me crew. Ta' Vanthus' little girly too! Turned them bad, like something ye might find in a net and throw back on account the sun got no purpose lookin' upon it. These things!"
    She kicks at the powdered remains of one of the deformed pirates in distaste. "Whatever were in that damnable pearl turned over three score men into ... into man-eating freaks!

    "Vanthus. He seen what his friend and the rest turned into. He dove into th'water t'get away. I did the same, only I swam for shore. Found me first mate Drevoraz there. He'd resisted the change too, as had some others here and there, yet they were nothin' but the banquet for those things. We fought our way into th'caves and managed to hole up here with Captain Kigante, the man who keeps these caves for us. Only, Kigante's freak food now; he got jumped by a mob of them not twenty minutes ago. Tore him apart like they was sharks!

    "And one more thing. I think they got the sick in their maws. The places they done bit me still burn, and it's hard to think straight ... But hey! You fought yer way in here! That means there ain't much left of them out there, yeah?"


    Lazer thinks for a second, realizing the smashed glass on the beachhead that he saw must be that pearl. "Vanthus was trying to steal this thing from you. Didn't you know anything about it?"

    "I knew the pearl be magic, but I'd been asked by my superiors t'transport it here and wait for someone t'arrive t'pick it up. But I have me honor as a pirate captain t'uphold, and I'll not be tellin' ye n'more about 'em!"

    Korian presses, "Bad magic, and we can assume that Brissa Desantos is dead now, but we're really here to know about Vanthus, not this pearl."

    Captain Javell curses and flies into a tirade. "I'll leam that cur what it is t'foul my business! I know who he is! Th'Vanderboren name's no secret to me. I know he's got family'n holdings in Sasserine! I sent me right hand Drevoraz t'deal with yer friend, I did. Drevoraz is on his merry way to Sasserine as we speak. He'll do for Vanthus' sister, his mum and pop, and any other family or friends the bastard has in that dunghill city. Cross the Crimson Fleet and we take everything in your life from ye. Best not forget that, boyo."

    Lazer goes white, having at the outset stated that he worked for Lavinia. "Captain Javell ...?" he asks haltingly.

    She cuts him off. "Yer wond'rin' why I don' run ye all through? You helped kill these beasties and removed some o' the sting in me head. I owe ye that much."

    Korian asks, "Why didn't you go with your first mate if you want vengeance so badly?"

    "I wasn' about t'abandon Kigante t'these men-turn'd-monsters. I fought me way inta' the cove in hopes of helping him escape."

    She looks at the party, somewhat ignoring Ka'Xet, but looking appreciatively at the others, but finally settles her gaze on Lazer. Here she openly nods admiringly. She takes off an earring - a small figure of a snake-woman with six arms - and hands it to the doctor.

    "Here's a token to show to Drevoraz if you get to him in time. Ye'd better be leavin' the Cove before reinforcements arrive. I apologize for any trouble that me first mate be bringin' to the Vanderborens. Sure'n from yer actions this Lavinny is not of the same pitch as that dog-snouted, yellow-livered brother of hers. Ye should make haste back t'Sasserine t'warn her about the comin' assault, though I doubt ye'll make it back i'time. That earring is a pre-arranged code 'tween the two o' us that the bearer of me' note and this earring is t'be trusted."

    She takes out a wrinkled bit of parchment and ink she carries, and uses a splinter of the table to write a brief note to Drevoraz, ordering him to hold off on the attack. "I'd come back wi' ye to undo what's been done, but I know I'll be recognized by that stinkin' city's guards in no time and be throwin inta' jail, but I do honestly regret sendin' me man to strike against a patroness of so fine a crew."

    Celiss, Darrius ... any parting questions? If you don't have anything else, is everyone fine with getting the hell outta' there and to the Sea Sprite as soon as possible to race back to Sasserine?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-27 at 05:18 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss doesn't really have a good feeling about the woman - although they have a common enemy, she simply doesn't feel like she can trust the pirate captain. As such, she simply nods and says Perhaps we'll meet again, someday. I hope it won't be on the opposite sides of a battle, or fighting with more of those beasts.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  26. - Top - End - #656
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "Aye," she says, "and I'd love to see you get more skill 'n' a sword. Ye'd be a great scarlet corsair."

    Darrius? Ka'Xet, any wild gesticulations? or move on?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius seems to have nothing to say to the pirate woman. Not in the sense that he's too good to speak with her, but nothing comes to mind as important enough to stress his throat in case there is some damage inside he's not yet discovered.

    Spoiler
    Show
    And, you know, my brainbox isn't doing much thinking right now. XD
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  28. - Top - End - #658
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "Let's go!" says Lazer, "let us go back to the rendezvous point, with all haste, for pickup by the Sea Sprite."

    As the party makes their way out, Korian waits just long enough to say, "Captain Javell, from one beginning warrior to a master, it was a pleasure to watch you fight, ma'am. I hope one day I might do so again, and on the same side .... it would surely mean my death otherwise."

    He salutes her with his rapier, and she returns the salute, and Korian runs out to follow his friends, though Ka'Xet curiously stood by, and in turn witnessed this (with his one good eye).

    The party rushes at full tilt up the trail back around to where the drop-off/ pick-up point is, and finally spot the lantern-lit longboat. Lazer is already there, waiting for everyone else, his speed as other-dwarvenly as his ability to breathe water and swim like a fish. "With all haste, bo'sun. We must return to Sasserine before Vanderborne Manor is razed!"

    In the longboat, Rabbi Cohen admits, "If I thought we had a chance in Carceri, I'd have tried to put her under arrest. A coup like that for Lady Vanderboren, that her people captured such a threat as Captain Jarvell ..."

    "Well," says Korian ambivalently, "at least you learned one important lesson today ..."

    "What's that?"

    "Your limits, and your wise actions regarding them."

    There's a long stare between the two of them, as the rabbi tries to figure the wolverine-teen out.

    The party gets back onto the Sea Sprite and the captain is apprised of the situation of possible doom for their employer. He sets the ship for all possible haste back to Sasserine. Meanwhile, each of the party is back in their staterooms. Ka'Xet and Darrius and Korian sleep, while Celiss and Lazer rest their bodies and meditate in their individual cabins, neither one of them needing the rest of lesser mortals. Before this rest period, however, Lazer will use healing magic sparingly, and then supplement this with his skills as a physician, using Ka'Xet as his aide (or Korian when giving medical care to Ka'Xet).
    Spoiler
    Show
    If there is any retro chit-chat to make, now's the time. I'm levelling up the sheets for Darrius and Celiss and Lazer. This means that Korian and Ka'Xet will only be 3rd level for what is about to continue ... less of a load should be put on them. On the other hand, srgonzo, don't feel too bad. You had the most hit points of anyone in the group, so now you'll be doin' middlin or still near the top, plus you'll get more XP than the higher-level folks because you'll survive the coming adventure (well, we HOPE you'll survive) as a 3rd-, vice 4th-level character.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-29 at 12:57 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #659
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    The next day, folks come out of their staterooms as the Sea Sprite sets the maneuvering watch.

    Over the past few weeks, Darrius has become impressively muscled, and seems to have grown an inch. Though not the party warrior, he has a heavyset warrior's build.

    Celiss actually seems to have lost a little weight, though she is still thickly set for her gender, and her gaze is even more intense and removed from humanity.

    The most dramatic difference, however, is the rabbi. He comes out, and his muscles are more easily seen ... because he is holding his shredded armor. Instead of looking weak, all of that working out seems to have done him good; but instead of merely coming up to average, his muscles - on his lean dwarven frame - seem to be tight and corded, finally somewhat competing with the power of a normal dwarven warrior. He is a dramatic two inches taller, and the weight he has put on has been well-distributed to make him look leaner. And this leanness has an incredible effect on his confidence and appearance. He now verily brims with magnetism, and has such beauty - that could never be said about any dwarf before - as to become unearthly.

    But we didn't discuss what shredded that armor, did we? Yeah, those would be the two big new appendages at his back ... wings that are a darker gray-blue along the bone, blending to steely-blue at the center wings, and white on the trailing edges.

    "I finally figured it out," he breaks the stunned silence. "Our initial research, Celiss, laid the groundwork, but it's clear to me now. We already understood that while a dwarf, I am an outsider, not outsider-like ... thus I don't need to eat or sleep like you. Yesterday, in desperation to get to a fallen member to heal them, I turned into a little bird. I've already been far faster than a dwarf on land, let alone a human. And now, the wings. And you and I both know I was actually adopted, appearing like a seacliff dwarf, but having actual aquatic breathing and swimming, vice just well trained.

    "I'm very likely an astral deva that is of an aquatic variety. I actually must come from the heavens, but do not have all the powers of my kind, which means I was sent here to fulfill a specific mission. I am guessing that, Moradin knowing best, I am on the path to fulfilling my destiny already."


    He looks down at the armor. "Well, despite my skin thickening - because I've always been thick-skinned - we have a problem...I have a problem. But we don't have the time to commission a set of armor for a 'winged citizen' ... so this means I have to depend on my hardened skin and speed. So, Celiss, if you have a mage armor to spare once we get to the thick of things, please ... ?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-29 at 02:55 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss seems fairly unsurprised at Lazer's transformation. After all, it wasn't like this would be the first time that such a change had happened to one member of the group. Perhaps the exposure to this rage-inducing illness, combined with the increased stress of elongated combat had provoked these metamorphoses. Although her memory had always been good, Celiss felt that the events of the previous day were somehow filled with a new clarity. This, combined with a strengthening of the semi-arcane energy she felt flowing through her, gave her a strengthened sense of power. She was growing less and less connected to the people who had once been her peers, it seemed.

    I'm not sure what sort of logic or emotion could lead me to denying protection to someone who spends his time in combat making sure we don't die. Celiss says in response to the rabbi's request. She felt a growing bond between her and the others - after all, they were going through the same sort of experience she was.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •