Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 690 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet attempts talking.

    Capital, droogie Doctor!

    Spoiler
    Show
    That's wonderful news Dr. Cohen!
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  2. - Top - End - #662
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet's comment, amidst some phantom soreness and stiffness is greeted with mixed reviews.

    As the Sea Sprite is pulling into harbor, Lazer says, "Now, even though Vanderboren Manor is targeted, without knowing more about the first mate, it is possible that he has paid scouts to look out for Vanthus' possible return. Given our recent fame against Rowyn Kellani and smashing the Lotus Dragon Guild, we not only could be known quantities working for the honor of our Lady, but remnants may be seeking a reason to strike, given coin and cooperation.

    "I'm going to try this flying out, so I'll be high ... but without a good missile weapon (other than the wand of ray of enfeeblement), I'll still come in close for healing and combat. Darrius is on point, but only 5-10' ahead because of crowds and to keep in sight of each other. Celiss and Ka'Xet are next. Korian brings up the rear courtesy of his senses and sixth sense for danger."


    When you get into port, the Wormfall Festival is in full swing. Celiss (non-native) and Ka'Xet (rustic) heard about some big new festival occurring, but nothing more than that. Korian, not interested in such things, is entirely clueless. Between the two of them, however, Darrius and Lazer's (equal) knowledge of events typical of this nature, and both natives, have in their own way been looking foward to this festival for some time.

    Wormfall Parade

    One year ago, a horrific brush with apocalypse in the far-off city of Alhaster sent deadly ripples across the entire face of the world. Even in Sasserine, the Worm god's brief emergence into the world had an effect, as monstrous minions boiled out of the Spire of Long Shadows in preparation of the dawn of this new age. Only the intervention of a band of powerful heroes from the neighboring city of Cauldron saved Sasserine from a terrible fate. Now, one year later, Sasserine honors the heroes of that dark day with a wild parade and festival to remember the fallen and rejoice at the victory of good over evil.

    Wormfall, as the holiday has been dubbed by city officials, is to be an annual event, a gigantic affair involving troupes of trained acrobats, marching bands, garish costumes in homage of the heroes of Alhaster and Cauldron (and corresponding effigies of their undead and wormy enemies), and floats constructed in the image of enormous green worms and shrouded skulls. Kites of green worms borne on sticks and strings dance in the air above the rooftops. Green lanterns burn above the streets, casting a sickly pale glow upon the cobble stones below, each with a removable shade and a layer of bright gold paper below to bathe the city in the warm sunlight of victory at the exact moment the worms fell and the heroes of Alhaster struck down their foul god.

    When the party arrives in Sasserine they find the city in the throes of Wormfall and must navigate the teeming crowds of celebrating citizens in order to reach Lavinia's estate. Lazer and Darrius are experts at taking the most direct route, and still find the going slow and frustrating.

    Lazer, Darrius
    Spoiler
    Show
    The heroes of the Wormfall were ...
    Winslow Fletcher - leader of the group that finally destroyed the worms, a peerless hafling poet and intellect.
    Owbar - a laconic, swashbuckling, roguish whisper gnome with a penchant for cutting down bigger enemies. Credited with being the main hero of the final battle, being practically untouchable.
    Cherrystone - a shapeshifting foreign wizard who could turn into bird form, or a birdlike humanoid.
    Adam - a walking metalman that wields the powers of Pelor.
    Ash - a mouthy, antidisestablishmentarianist woman who wields amazing powers with her falchion.
    Lazer happily tells the story, including the above description of these world-saving celebrities.

    Celiss, Darrius, Lazer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cherrystone is a wu-jen from the Kara-Tur.
    Adam is a rare type of construct known as a living construct, specifically of a type known as 'warforged.'

    Celiss, Lazer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty good knowledge of the events as they transpired, having kept abreast of things because of the world effects.
    Celiss
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss' order actually had sent some wizards out on supporting missions, but they were turned into worm-zombies. She has very good knowledge on the historical facts concerning this event.
    Celiss, Lazer
    Spoiler
    Show
    The heroes actually had to make several, brief off-world trips. Adam, though a 'living construct', is somehow reincarnated by spirit to the Wind Dukes of Aaqa, Nirvanan heroes of millenia ago.
    Celiss
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Wind Dukes of Aaqa are a special race of keepers of Law, and fought against Mishka the Wolf-Spider and the Queen of Chaos several millenia ago. The Queen was driven back to her home in the Abyss while Mishka was purportedly killed by a fabled rod that exploded on his death. The seven pieces of this rod - aptly named the rod of seven parts - splintered throughout the cosmos. Occasionally, a piece will be discovered, often coming to the attention of a minor hero who seeks to reconnect the rod. Success or failure, in the end the rod's connected pieces (parts or the whole) find their way back into obscurity.

    Celiss, Darrius, Lazer
    Spoiler
    Show
    The worm-zombies are referred to as the Sons of Kyuss. The mortal agents that aided Kyuss (pronounced kai-us) by a group called the Ebon Triad. Adam became on the most powerful clerics of Pelor before retiring from the Prime to seek out some unknown ancestry.
    Celiss, Lazer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up until last year, Kyuss was a hidden, ancient god whose portfolio was the creation and mastery of undead, decay, unholy transformation, and worms. Beaten back, he is now returned to mere demigod status under Nerull, the God of Death.

    The Ebon Triad was an unlikely group that found power for a time as the mortal agents of Kyuss when the latter ended up controlling that group before it fell in Wormfall. It was made up of an oft internecine trinity of Hextorians, Vecnans, and Erythnulians. Their mechanations also had much lesser impact on crisis in Cauldron when they aided a group called the Cagewrights that attempted to open a gate to Carceri. The Ebon Triad spies and operatives, who helped to build soul-sapping artifacts known as soulcages, were defeated early on in that conflict before the main threat was ever known.
    Ka'Xet, Lazer, Korian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ash is a ranger that focused her hatred on undead, evil arcanists, and the Ebon Triad. Owbar also was a ranger, though far less accomplished than Ash, that focused his efforts not only on undead, but was a known giant-slayer as well. Cherrystone is part of a nature-spirit race of shapeshifters known as hengeyokai, though that race only shifts between animal and animal/humanoid hybrid form.

    The area around Long Spire, once in lush jungle, is now a blasted wasteland for 10 miles around.
    Lazer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adam's powers of Pelor weren't just strictly clerical, he came from originally unknown loyal lines of the Wind Dukes of Aaqa, and is one of Oerth's premier paladins as well. Ash, for her part, is the typical rebellious, iconoclastic, royal-in-disguse, as the daughter of a distant duchess.
    Korian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ash was a focused swordsage of the Desert Wind school and a ranger that was particularly accomplished fighting undead, and with many combat tricks in hunting and killing enemy wizards and sorcerers.

    Owbar combined the skills of a diamond mind-focused rapier-wielder, a brutal and deadly thief, a ranger, a swashbuckler, and a warrior. He specialized in fighting creatures bigger than himself to the point that successively larger and larger creatures were even easier to hit. He could even compact his frame to fight against other small creatures as if they were larger, and was a master at goading enemies into foolish combat with him, fakeouts, and a nearly-untouchable combat defense. He was called Owbar the Onestop for his ability to often lay an enemy low in one blow. Even undead and constructs were not entirely immune to his specialized thrusts.

    Ash was killed in the final battle, and the only way the heroes won were to all focus their magic into Owbar, who became an unstoppable and nearly untouchable killing machine. Ash was revived after the battle by Adam. Ash reconciled with her mother and now runs the top Desert Wind school on the continent. Owbar guest-teaches at various Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, and Shadow Hand monasteries, but recently left with the others (sans Ash) to Nirvana to help Adam discover his heritage, but not before he founded a fight school specializing in teaching smaller folk to combat larger aggressors for defense of homelands and vigilante actions. Unfortunately, a group of halflings splintered off to create a more vengeance-related extremists, some good and some bad, which has both tarnished Owbar's fame, but also raised the myth of his notoriety.

    Adam's body itself was made of adamantine. His strength and resiliency are legend, and it only took him three hits of his heavy, oversized mace to drop an ancient red dragon named Scarsnout. His powers as a paladin of Pelor match his clerical powers. In the final battelr Kyuss used magic that greatly sapped his strength and vitality. Not being used to vulnerable against debilitating attacks, he was immediately taken out of physical combat, and only his powers as a paladin and priest, and his tactical expertise, guided his fellow Owbar to victory.

    As the heroes labor through the crowd, a tipsy gnome practically walks into Darrius, who knocks the poor fellow down. The gnome gets up, pulling up his sleeves, and says, "Watch where ya' goin', you rude oversized lout. What, big muscles? Big ol' shield and glowy stuff, you think you're so tough?"

    There is no doubt in Darrius' mind that this mildly inebriated gnome has a chip on his should and was looking to fight somebody, anybody. There's also no doubt in Darrius' mind that he can disassemble this gnome pretty easily. He wears a chain shirt, and carries a light steel shield. He does have a longsword and a light crossbow at his side, though he's not so drunk to threaten you with a lethal weapon (or to invite the same).

    Darrius, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-31 at 04:46 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius looks down at the gnome with a puzzled expression, "Rude? Ah, you must have gotten turned about as you fell, the man who knocked you down just squeezed through the crowd, over yonder." He gestures vaguely off to his right side and continues, "I could give you a hand in going after the bugger, if you like."

    Spoiler
    Show
    lol, bluff. I don't have access to my sheet right now, so I don't know the mod right off hand (and can't remember if its one of them hidden rolls or not).

    EDIT: Since things can slop around a lot, but you don't know what the first round of engagment might bring, I put 1E into everything but Worg Pelt ... you can react suddenly with missile or (if you have it out) weapon, and even burn attackers some.
    Uh, instead of that, I'm also going to assume he does not have any points in the mantle of flame while walking through a crowded city street. Bumping into someone might not be an attack, but I can't see wearing a cloak made out of fire turning out well here, especially 2d6 worth of fire.

    >.> Need to get me a damn sap so I can do nonlethal without provoking AoOs... I always forget to get a damn sap.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  4. - Top - End - #664
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had actually thought the same thing about that mantle, and there's no way I would've defaulted that to be a dihk. Bluff, like all Interaction rolls, are rolled by me. Sheet updated for worg pelt 1, no E in mantle.
    ALCON
    Spoiler
    Show
    The default, running through a festival street, is that none of you have a weapon OUT and in hand, except Lazer who is flying, and he only has a wand out right now. Celiss may also have her wand of mage armor out if she wishes ... but let me know sooner than later.

    The gnome looks at Darrius incredulously with fast growing rage. "What?! I know a Big-Folk's torso when its slammed into me!"

    The inebriated gnome swings wildly, and Darrius only has to move slightly for the foolish gnome to miss entirely.

    R1T20: Though not particular deft-footed at all, the drunk recovers quickly from his 'surprise' punch. He comes in much more surely, and still not quite fully in belief, Darrius doesn't move out of the way. He charlies horses the outer side of Darrius' thigh for all of his might for max 2 NL (nonlethal) damage.

    R1T13: Darrius, It smarts a little, and this gnome is vaguely stronger than a normal, run-of-the-mill gnome - about as much as a human - so he might be a barely-trained warrior, which jives with some weak combat stance. However, he is no more a skilled brawler than yourself, Darrius. Environmentally, neither of you is 'squeezing,' but the crowd hasn't yet clued into the fact that there's a brawl in the square, so there are no other open squares to move to for combat considerations, unless you simply try to use your speed advantage to leave. Of course, there's always street cred to think of ..... what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-01 at 05:11 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not able to reply in full right mow, but attempt to grapple him and say something along the lines of 'calm down, you drunken git'
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  6. - Top - End - #666
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T13: It will be a little clumsy, but Darrius tries to grapple the gnome one-handed, as he carries a heavy shield on his off-arm. But he can't quite get him. "Calm down, you drunken git'!" Darrius says to him.

    R1T12: Lazer unimpeded by the crowds, takes out one of the wands and points it at the gnome. He says something in a language that only Korian can understand as the wand glows a little.

    "Help!" yelps the gnome. "The mad flying dwarf is trying to take over my mind!"

    R1T11: Because of the crowd, Korian can't really get to the scene so delays ...

    R1T10: At the cries of the gnome and the flying dwarf with a glowing wand, the crowd presses to the outsides, making a circle. A few women might scream, but the bread-become-circus of the festival has a hungry look in people's eyes and there are chants and calls (and yes, even bets) going on.

    Korian looks at Darrius, who may or may not be looking for some help to end this silliness quickly, but the junior member of Zelkarune's Horns that isn't even established enough to be called a pit boy stands inside the circle, but out of combat. "Sorry, man. Even with our mission, it's all you."

    R1T9: But the "all you" factor of this battle just changed. Revealed by the circle, much as Korian and the party has been, is a half-orc. Typical mild underslung jaw with two upward protruding tusks. He wears a chain shirt and rough-and-tumble clothing (semi-worn condition), but is not armed. What is most notable about this half-orc is that he is short (for a half-orc). He is only 5'5" tall, but a stocky 185 pounds of rocky-lean muscle.

    "Hey, darkie!" he calls to Darrius. "What you like pickin' on little guys? Huh? And you have your god-damned bird-dwarf try casting s**t like a p***y?

    "Kurgol! Yeah, now we're gonna' show 'em! You and me!"

    "Hey, Jilianth" says the half-orc, "I was gonna teach you a lesson and let him beat you down until his friend tried some queer s**t."

    A quick visual size-up, and Darrius perceives that while this guy might be physically more impressive than the gnome, he doesn't look like he's going to be any better. Probably a pushover ....

    The half-orc charges, roaring as he does so. Darrius instinctively puts the shield in front of himself, but holds it out to keep it steady while keeping his face distanced, expecting this guy to be foiled.

    ... and that's when Darrius realizes that he woefully underestimated this guy's skills. He actually runs against the shield with a little hop on his charge, but not to bullrush. With his left hand he pulls the shield against his body just to brace it while swinging over and down with a vertical haymaker that slams Darrius' outstretched bicep for 14 NL damage ... that's gonna' leave a nasty bruise. The shock to his arm tingles a lot, and already Darrius feels his adrenaline pumping hight.

    R1T8.9: "Damn," spits Korian. He wheels in behind Kurgol, flanking with Darrius. That light mist of cold surrounds Korian and he only bares his claws to fend off attack. "Listen to me if you can, Kurgol, you're one of the top boxers in the city. We got other fish to fry, and lives are at stake."

    R1T8: Ka'Xet, it will only take you 15' of movement to get to Kurgol on one side, or to threaten Kurgol or Jilianth on the other ... or you can be fine from range. Wwhat do you do?

    R1T7.9: Celiss, you can also define your action now, as you and Ka' effectively had tied for initiative. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #667
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss moves around the group, hoping to help Korian convince the half-orc to stand down. She is, however, aware that they may be unwilling to do so. In that case, she would simply have to hope that this wouldn't take long...Her spells weren't really suited for nonlethal combat, and simply leaving this man a scorched corpse wasn't an option, even if it did seem a bit more tempting than before.

    Anger beginning to rise within her, both at herself for even considering this course of action and at these two for blocking them, Celiss speaks. Right now you have a choice that most people don't get. You can help us save the life of our patron by standing down and letting us pass in peace, or you can hold us up and potentially make us too late to save her. It's difficult, but the mage manages to keep her voice fairly calm. She can tell, however, that unless they can get moving again the frantic power within her will burst forth. The arcane energy woven into her form was difficult to control - she had the feeling that the burst of darkness she had created before could be 'triggered' in the same fashion, but she doubted that this strange force was the same thing. Power bubbled just below the surface, barely kept in check, and she waited, an intuitive sense telling her that this wasn't going to become a blast of lightning or another potentially deadly effect. Perhaps it would be like that orb of shadow from before, only directed into the same sort of cone as her Burning Hands? With such an effect it might be possible to slip by them...


    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving into position, then readying an action to use my Fear SLA. Trigger is them taking action against us or otherwise seeming to continue this conflict.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  8. - Top - End - #668
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet, what do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #669
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T8: Celiss moves around the group, hoping to help Korian convince the half-orc to stand down. She is, however, aware that he may be unwilling to do so. In that case, she would simply have to hope that this wouldn't take long. Her spells weren't really suited for nonlethal combat, and simply leaving this man a scorched corpse wasn't an option, even if it did seem a bit more tempting than before.

    Anger beginning to rise within her, both at herself for even considering this course of action and at these two for blocking them, Celiss speaks. "Right now you have a choice that most people don't get. You can help us save the life of our patron by standing down and letting us pass in peace, or you can hold us up and potentially make us too late to save her.

    It's difficult, but the mage manages to keep her voice fairly calm. She can tell, however, that unless they can get moving again the frantic power within her will burst forth. The arcane energy woven into her form was difficult to control - she had the feeling that the burst of darkness she had created before could be 'triggered' in the same fashion, but she doubted that this strange force was the same thing. Power bubbled just below the surface, barely kept in check, and she waited, an intuitive sense telling her that this wasn't going to become a blast of lightning or another potentially deadly effect. Perhaps it would be like that orb of shadow from before, only directed into the same sort of cone as her Burning Hands? With such an effect it might be possible to slip by them...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Action readied, without defining what 'in position' happens to be, I have you "moving around the group" to the opposite side - the side to which the group originally hoped to progress, 10' from the orc, with Korian fwd-left of you. There is no way - with Darrius and Korian to 'angle' the cone to not get them and both assailants. In the end, however, the calculation is that it doesn't matter ... the time it takes for your two companions to heal from having knocked heads is far longer, and far more detrimental to the mission, than the 30 seconds or so it takes for them to throw off this spell and regroup.

    In a total tough-guy rage, the half-orc shouts, "Nobody's stopping you, girlie! Just you're friend ain't makin' it to the party, for pickin' on me mate."
    Spoiler
    Show
    That said, the half-orc's vocals fulfill the ready trigger "them [the half-orc and gnome] ... otherwise seeming to continue this conflict."
    Celiss lets out an ear-piercing shriek, truly horrifying to all who hear, and very, very inhuman as the powers burst forth to amplify her voice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Think of the shrieking of the Furies in the most recent CLASH OF THE TITANS.

    The half-orc holds his ground, though he appears shaken. The gnome shrieks in mortal terror. Darrius led a rough-and-tumble life as a youth, but once he realized his soul magic was powered by compassion and respect for life and beauty, and not by selfish desires, he embraced that power of Good. Now, however, he is faced with a dread manifestation of evil like none he had ever seen before. He gives a low moan of terror as he is about to bolt. Korian has to hold his reserve very, very carefully, and barely manages to grit his teeth despite feeling very unsettled. Ka'Xet's mental training proves useful, but even he can't help feeling rocked by the sheer power of Celiss' screech. Lazer, protected by altitude with flying, is out of the effect.

    The real damage done, however, is to the crowd that was caught in that 30-foot cone of terror. That's the spell effect - then we consider the actual psychological/ morale considerations of such horror outside of who saved, who didn't, who was affected, who wasn't, etc.

    The crowd shrieks in mortal terror. True, those caught in the cone are in hysteria, but nearly every onlooker is panicked.

    R1T7.9: Ka'Xet, this half-orc is in it for the long-haul, it seems. You can easily tell that this Kurgol is a barbarian specializing in boxing ... and he's currently raging, though a little shaken. Thing is, you're also shaken by the experience. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-05 at 03:04 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #670
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet moves to aid in flanking the gnome, manifesting his blade as he moves.

    Oi! Appy-polly my good chellovek, 'bout havin' a bit of bitter and cease all this razdraz twenty to one? We'll all have a bit of a guff on this in time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies, good gentleman, why don't you have a beer on me, and we can stop trying for this angry gang violence. We'll all laugh about this in time.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  11. - Top - End - #671
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T7.9: Ka'Xet moves to aid in flanking the gnome, manifesting his blade as he moves. "Oi! Appy-polly my good chellovek, 'bout havin' a bit of bitter and cease all this razdraz twenty to one? We'll all have a bit of a guff on this in time."

    End round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

    R2T20: The gnome, shrieking in horror at Celiss, looks at the freaky humanoid next to him and bolts, in as straight as line as possible from Celiss, but moving around 'bad guys' (you) as possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume that none of the heroes here are going to try to take an AOO with their lethal weapons - with or without a penalty to hit for attempting NL damage. Him leaving you alone is a win, right? Let me know I was otherwise too assumptive here...


    R2T13: The savage pirates were horrifying to look at, and engendered some pity that man could be so dehumanized as they, but Darrius has never actually had to face Evil itself.

    Darrius bolts as quickly away from Celiss as his legs and the equally fleeing crowd will allow.

    R2T12: Lazer, seeing this get way out of hand quickly just tries the wand again, but again Kurgol resists. [Celiss knows that unless the wand is amped, it is easy to resist - DC 12.] Meanwhile he flies around in broad circles to stay aloft.

    R2T10: PANIC in the streets. There is a mass scream from the crowd, mainly along the line of the cone Celiss used, and that group flees in blind fear, stumbling over things, knocking carts down, and even trampling some people. Others not in the cone, simply move away in the best possible means from Celiss, but the same side effects - just less pronounced - such as destruction and trampling - occur.

    R2T9: Kurgol is shaken, but he is enraged and a proud warrior. Through anger and spittle he shouts, "Monster! I was only gonna' teach your friend a lesson. He ran, but someone's gotta stop you!"

    He steps up and hauls off to deck her, but she blocks him.

    R2T8.9: Korian says to Celiss in Sylvan: "Win or lose, we can't afford this. I say we withdraw as quickly as possible. We have to get to Lady V."
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #672
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss nods, anger flaring in her again. Despite her efforts, this half-orc was still barring their way, and the collateral damage of the blast of arcane-infused sound was far worse than the mage had expected. She briefly considers using another pulse of darkness to confuse the man and then continuing along the route to get to the manor, but with Darrius still in a panicked state that wouldn't do much good. I doubt we can simply ignore him, though, and with luck we may be able to end this by the time Darrius has recovered. Go on ahead with the others, I'll follow with Darrius once I can get him off of my back. She replies in Sylvan.

    Switching to Common again, although she doubts she will make much progress trying to reason with a raging warrior, Celiss speaks to the half-orc. Regardless of what I am, there is someone who is intent on killing, who we need to stop. While she's fairly certain that this won't be of help, the mage is hoping that she can wait out the boxer's fury and leave once the physical strain of his anger-filled strength takes its toll on his body.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Total Defense.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-01-07 at 06:42 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  13. - Top - End - #673
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T8: Celiss nods, anger flaring in her again. Despite her efforts, this half-orc was still barring their way, and the collateral damage of the blast of arcane-infused sound was far worse than the mage had expected. She briefly considers using another pulse of darkness to confuse the man and then continuing along the route to get to the manor, but with Darrius still in a panicked state that wouldn't do much good. She replies in Sylvan: "I doubt we can simply ignore him, though, and with luck we may be able to end this by the time Darrius has recovered. Go on ahead with the others, I'll follow with Darrius once I can get him off of my back."

    Switching to Common again, although she doubts she will make much progress trying to reason with a raging warrior, Celiss speaks to the half-orc, "Regardless of what I am, there is someone who is intent on killing, who we need to stop."

    While she's fairly certain that this won't be of help, the mage is hoping that she can wait out the boxer's fury and leave once the physical strain of his anger-filled strength takes its toll on his body. Meanwhile, Kurgol, Korian, and Ka'Xet (the 3 K's) manage to collect and master their fears.

    R2T7.95: "She's right, Kurgol, but we don't have time to argue," says Korian. "Call us cowards if you want, but we got bigger fish to fry. But I recently joined the Horns if you wanna look me up for a grudge match.

    "Alright, everyone else, we need to go to protect Lady Lavinia! Meet at the gate to the manor at best speed, but let's not get anxious until all are accounted for!"


    Korian brilliant tumbles past Kurgol to not create an opening, and moves further uproad.

    R2T7.9: Ka'Xet, you are ill-trained for non-deadly combat, though you are now adjacent (not flanking) to Kurgol. Do you stay behind to help Celiss, or do you do as she and Korian have said - to continue making progress towards the Manor?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #674
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Withdraw, dismiss the blade, burst, skate and move toward our goal.

    Nochy-nochy, me good chelloveks!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Good night, gentlemen!
    Last edited by srgonzo; 2012-01-07 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Missing info
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  15. - Top - End - #675
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T7.9: Withdraw, dismiss the blade, burst, skate and move toward our goal. "Nochy-nochy, me good chelloveks!"

    End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

    R3T13: Darrius still panicked and beating feet ...

    R3T12: Lazer, still trying to get used to flying, alights right next to Celiss. "Kurgol, we've lost. Your gnome friend ran, but is safe as a result. The one you meant to fight ran from you like a coward. This woman here is just dodging to talk sense into you, but means you no harm. The rest of our companions have run. I used the wand to stop a fight, not to control anyone. If you beat up on her, not only does it do you no credit as the fine fighter you are, but you weaken her when she's about to possibly give her life for her noble patron to keep a pirate from slaughtering all in Vanderboren Manor, which is what we've been racing to stop.

    "I'm not just pleading for you to stop fighting when those that could admire you have run away ... I'm asking for your help. You want to fight something, to really let off some steam, and maybe be a real hero in the process? Come help me save our lady from a Crimson Fleet pirate. I promise you, after that, any one of our group with whom you wish to fist fight in non-deadly combat will do that. You have my word."


    R3T9: Kurgol, who already has been losing a taste by having people do nothing but dodge and run away, doesn't need much prodding to stop raging. "Bah, Jilianth ran off, and you weren't much fun, anyway. Aren't you guys the 'Monster Crew' people been talkin' about what shut down the Lotus Dragon Guild?"

    Combat Ends ...

    "The ... Monster Crew?" asks Lazer, stunned. He thinks about it, though. Of the two 'humans' ... one actually isn't human, and the other so full of non-human heritage as to not be very human anymore. He can't call himself a dwarf anymore, and as xephs are uncommon and seem wild, and Korian is definitely a 'monster' being an anthropomorphized beast, he smiles and nods. "Yes, the very same ones."

    "Right on," says Kurgol. "Those blood-letters always tried to fix the pit matches. Once you broke their power, we could set our own terms."

    Darrius, at this point, the panic has ended and you have your wits again. You are only about 20-30 seconds hustle from where you were before. Do you go back to that spot, or avoid and go to the Manor?

    Celiss, do you add anything to the conversation?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-08 at 09:18 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #676
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss shifts from her defensive stance once the brawler stops trying to attack her, looking to see where Darrius had run off to during his panic. They needed to get going as soon as possible.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  17. - Top - End - #677
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Because of chaos and crowd cover, she doesn't see him ... you can pretty much trust that when he recovers he might come back to this spot, but regardless he'd rendezvous at the gates to the Manor if not.

    Celiss, do you stay .... follow along Darrius' route ... or break off and head to the manor after Ka'Xet and Korian?

    EDIT: Kurgol looks at the flying dwarf (and his diabolical lady friend) and says, "Good luck, and I'll come knocking for a more neighborly brawl, but everyone's got problems of their own in town. G'luck, and may the Traveler speed you on your journey to death or glory."

    And Kurgol departs ...
    .................................................. .....

    Meanwhile ....

    Ka'Xet gets some enormous speed going, but then prudently pulls back to allow at least one other to come along, his instincts telling him that showing up alone to the Manor probably won't work too well. He sees Korian coming, moving at your normal 30' speed (vice your currently boosted 45' speed ... several rounds have gone by since you left Kurgol).

    Just as Korian sees you he responds to something uphill that you don't really see til a round later before you can respond. You might be trained, but Korian has the advantage of training and animal senses and intuition.

    There is a runaway float that is careening down a hill, on a straight path for you (and Korian) and a tavern full of revellers just behind you! Korian launches at it with two ice-rimmed claws at the same time as he willingly throws himself into a blood fury. The claws themselves 1 mod each to the wheel he attacks, but the cold stiffens the wheel and spokes (8 cold damage) to be more brittle (10 damage total). Korian ducks just out of the way of being hit.

    Ka'Xet, what do you do? You have about two rounds to act.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-12 at 03:41 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #678
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Although she would prefer to wait for him, Celiss knows that Darrius is more than capable of getting to the manor on his own. Turning to Lazer, she nods. Let's go, then. She says.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  19. - Top - End - #679
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Lazer nods and takes to the air again, and Celiss moves ... the crowds, different people not sure what happened, have already filled in the gaps and spaces and it's slow going again.

    Ka'Xet, as above, what are you going to do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #680
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet manifests his blade, moves out of the way, and tries to take out the spokes in the float's wheels.

    ATK
    (1d20+7)[25]

    DAM
    (1d6+3)[8]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  21. - Top - End - #681
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    It is a beautiful stab that might well puncture a lung on a human being.

    Unfortunately, Ka'Xet isn't experienced enough with his blade. It is too small to be a good cutting weapon, and is really just a short sword - a piercing-only weapon - that isn't designed to smash things. The hapless xeph, used to tools in the wilderness, has never tried to use his mindblade this way and ruefully remembers a survivalist's maxim, "Always bring the right tool for the right job."

    As the wagon goes hurtling past, Korian zooms past Ka'Xet to charge the same wheel. He slashes at it, but without the cold power this time, his claws clack off the wheel - scoring the wood, but doing no damage.

    Ka'Xet, the wagon is 30' away. Your mindblade is wholly ineffective. It will hit a tavern full of revellers at the end of the next round. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #682
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Burst, skate, get ahead of the float and yell at the top of my lungs:

    MOVE...GET OUT THE WAY...I SAID MOVE...GET OUT THE WAY!!!
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  23. - Top - End - #683
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet bursts again (he's still skate-ing) and shouts (as above), but his shout (which isn't as impressively loud has he had hoped), doesn't really overcome the noise of the revelry enough ... it's heard, but people are really just turning to see what that noise is without realizing what's happening.

    Korian, realizing its now or never to save the tavern (and now, it seems, his nature-buddy Ka'Xet), desperately tries to actually throw himself into a rage, but fails (by 1 point ... ugh). He charges one last time, again clacking at the wheel without effect.

    "FOCALOR!" calls a shout from the crowd. There's a flash of light and a peal of thunder as lightning comes down from above to shatter the wheel that was already partially frozen from Korian's previous strikes. The cart lurches forward so the front slams into the ground, but inertia carries it forward .... forward ... slowly but forward ....

    .... to finally rest so close to Ka'Xet that the dirt that is pushed up and forward from the plowing effect covers the xeph's toes. The Wormgod's eye lanterns shatter, igniting the float/cart ... but luckily not in the tavern now but in the street right before it.

    A stranger moves forward and tries to order a bucket brigade, and Korian tries to assist him in getting the crowd mobilized, but the cheering crowd merely enjoy the bonfire of the float. The stranger wears a chain hauberk, and at his side are heavy mace, rapier, shortbow, and dagger. He seems to be in his early 20s, and is short (5' 5") and solid (130 lbs), with pale skin, medium-length brown hair and a van dyke, and light green eyes.

    He eyes are weeping, even though he doesn't appear to be emotionally wrought .... other than the tears. He seems to have six fingers on each hand.

    Ka'Xet ..... the tavern (and you) are saved, and you're pretty sure it's this crybaby with the creepy extra fingers that called out "Focalor" (whatever) and pointed at the wagon to guide the lightning. Whaddya do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #684
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Thankee-sai, me good Charlie. All these good genteels may have had their guttiwuts spread about like so much jammiwam had you not been such a trig cove. Put 'er there, me good droogie.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you very much, my good cleric. You have surely saved the lives of many innocent bystanders if you hadn't been prepared to do what was necessary to save their lives. For a handshake, I'd name you friend.


    Ka'Xet walks over to the twelve-fingered man with his own hand extended in friendship.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  25. - Top - End - #685
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "It's'n' mutter-brutter," says the man after a few second of contemplating what the humanoid in front of him said.

    "But I'm no Charlie, oh my brother," he says, shaking Ka'Xet's hand. "I'm just your humble droogie-caller for to tangle right when we have a little bit of the ultra-violence. Does it scribblin'. You've got some yarbles to try to platz the plank-wheel with the fleshy bag. Kelres Noxon be the my capper, but about is The Caller."
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was nothing, brother. Please forgive me correction, but I'm not a cleric, my friend. In point of fact, and humbly I set forth for your reckoning, I use my means of calling upon help from others when events require a less diplomatic resolve. I accomplish because I am a binder. I admit that that I admire your bravery in trying to stop the runaway cart with your body. My name is Kelres Noxon .... Esquire, but I tend to be known simply as 'The Caller.'

    Korian palm slaps his forehead ... just as Lazer, Celiss, and Darrius catch up.

    Ka'Xet, it is as if this strange human with the crying eyes and extra fingers could've been family to you ... as if you are one soul separated only by race.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does his name sound familiar, gonzo? It should. If you read the thread before you showed (and even just after you did show), then you will well recognize the existence of Nae'eth'oli (aka Quickslayer). Now, if it turns out that brute is in this world ..... it stands to reason, then, that so was his travelling buddy. This guy with pale skin and somewhat hale and sickly at the same time .... liked to blast bad guys with called lightning ... had to scribble various pictures to gain the abilities of mysterious creatures from beyond known as vestiges.

    That's right ... you just met yourself.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-17 at 01:09 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #686
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet beams with joy at his newfound friend. Considering his previous difficulties with communication, being able to talk to someone who speaks his particular argot causes him to completely forget the mission at hand.

    Caller my droogie, and well viddied! 'Tis right horrorshow to meet such an oomny chellovek as yourself. Not so much yarbles as bezoomy. Well, well, well, me dobby bratty, what say we peet a bit o' Firegold, get pyanitsa, and exchange a raskazz or dva?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Caller my friend, you are well-met! It's wonderful to meet such a clever fellow as yourself. However, I suggest that it's less courage and more insanity that caused me to assault the float. So, how would you feel about a few drinks and an exchange of stories?
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  27. - Top - End - #687
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss raises an eyebrow. I don't want to ruin your social life, but I do believe that several lives are dependant upon our swift arrival. She reminds the Xeph.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  28. - Top - End - #688
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    The Caller looks at Ka'Xet, but this time shifts to 'normal' Common. "Lives are transitory, but their power on this earth is not, and should not be diminished out of hand. What's your name, brother?" he asks the xeph.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #689
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet Moakh Kahir, my droog. These other droogs of mine are Darrius, Celiss, and Dr. Rabbi Korian Cohen. Didi-I olvidate alggeen?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ka'Xet Moakh Kahir, my friend. My companions are Darrius, Celiss, and Dr. Rabbi Korian Cohen. Did I forget anyone?
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  30. - Top - End - #690
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    In a very unsettling manner, The Caller points to the furry fellow that tried to help you stop the burning float from smashing into the tavern.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ummm, Korian is the anthropomorphic wolverine adolescent. Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer (Lazer) something-something-something Cohen is the dwarf with wings.
    Lazer looks at Ka'Xet. "Ahem. Who am I, again, Ka'Xet?"
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •