Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 780 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T19: Ka'Xet tries to finish off the bullywug bullyboy, hitting him in the left upper leg for 6 damage, enough to drop it. He reforms his mindblade.

    R3T18: Darrius, with Diamondback grappling the leader, you have a place to go ... you'd have to go around the opposite side, do a "Hop Up" jump onto the table, and then attack downwards into the grapple with a melee attack. Attempting a spit would suffer the same no-chance-to-mitigate-equal-chance-of-hurting-friendly, and with the leader having cast an acid resistance spell, the main hurt would be on Diamondback. What do you do, because even a dagger is devastating in your sneak(attack)y hands?

    Celiss, you're on deck.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Seeing an opportunity, Darrius hops up onto the table and rolls into position in order to swipe his dagger at the grappling duo. He hopes to catch the bullywug across the neck and sever an artery, but knows with the grapple going full swing it might not be easy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Hop Up (+10 check vs a DC 10, I believe) and move into position

    Standard: Attack!
    Melee: (1d20+7)[21] (+2 for flanking? Not included, as I'm not sure.)
    Slash: (1d4+6)[8]
    SnA, if applicable: (1d6)[3] (probably not, but eh.)
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  3. - Top - End - #753
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T18: Seeing an opportunity, Darrius hops up onto the table and rolls into position in order to swipe his dagger at the grappling duo. He hopes to catch the bullywug across the neck and sever an artery, but knows with the grapple going full swing it might not be easy. He does manage to slash the thrashing bullywug's left tricep for 8 damage. Though raging, her wounds are beginning to take a toll.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She was backed against a wall, so no flanking. Allies engaged in a grapple cannot be considered to be flanking with you.

    R3T10: Celiss, you are there with Darrius to your left on the table, and the grappling Diamondback/bullywug in front of you. Unlike Ka'Xet and those that favor missile weapons, a melee expert like you does not fear accidentally hitting Diamondback. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss lashes out with one arm, darting forwards to try and hit the bullywug with an elbow strike before hopping back to follow up with a kick from the opposite side, taking advantage of the frog-woman's preoccupation with Diamondback to take more time to aim than normal. Her first attack is completely off the mark, and Celiss is almost embarassed, although her kick is fairly well-positioned.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry!

    A: (1d20+7)[10]
    D: (1d6+3)[6]

    A: (1d20+7)[17]
    D: (1d6+3)[5]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-03-29 at 06:21 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  5. - Top - End - #755
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T10: Celiss lashes out with one arm, darting forwards to try and hit the bullywug with an elbow strike before hopping back to follow up with a kick from the opposite side, taking advantage of the frog-woman's preoccupation with Diamondback to take more time to aim than normal. Her first attack is completely off the mark, and Celiss is almost embarrassed, although her kick is fairly well-positioned, hitting the creature at the outside edge of its right elbow for 5 damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, the first missed. Yes, the second hit. However, you only have a +5/ +5 to attack with a flurry. So, I don't know where you get a +7/ +7. You aren't flanking the bullywug, but if you were I usually calculate that ... or at least ask you to specify that you used that (or any other deviations from what's on your sheet).

    R3T8: The raging bullywug doesn't try to escape, but it holds light weapons perfect for fighting in a scrape, and the use of her two axes still helps her defense against others attacking her, even those outside of a grapple. Her right axe hits Diamondback in her left shoulder for 13 damage; not only is she really strong in this rage, but it seems she has a particular relish for attacking this target. Diamondback manages to block the other axe.

    R3T7: Lazer flies directly above the grapple, ready to put a healing spell on Diamondback or anyone who needs one in dire straits.

    End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

    R4T21: Korian isn't in a bloodrage, but he is close. Unlike when he gets hurt and loses control and goes mindless, this seems to be a slow growing into battle prowess with each solid strike he's made against the bullywug woman. His first claw grazes her head for 6 damage, the second hits her intercostals for 8 damage, and he bites her in the left foot for 4 damage. The enemy, even in a rage, looks woozy.

    R4T20: Diamondback tries to get a firmer hold, but ends up letting the bullywug go. It's a tough scrape, though, since they are both in the same space. Diamondback is able to stand up first, though.

    R4T19: Ka'Xet, the only attack you could possibly make is ranged between legs and such at the prone bullywug. What do you do?

    Darrius, you're on deck ...
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #756
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T19: Not Ka'Xet's best toss, but a prone raging bullywug in light armor isn't too hard to hit after all, his tossed mindblade hits the huntress' lower back for 9 damage and she slumps.

    Her rage abated, her wounds look they're barely keeping her alive, but the heroes put enough pummel on her (18 NL) that she isn't dead.

    Combat Over ... now what?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #757
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Korian recovers his pilum from the bullywug's shield while calming from the partial bloodlust he had.

    Lazer asks Darrius to remove the bullywug female's weapons and to tie her up (with Ka'Xet assisting).

    Lazer goes around to check the fallen bullywugs. He stabilizes all three of them, but does nothing more for them.

    Celiss is asked to do a magic sweep. Considering her finely crafted axes and use of magic, Lazers hunch pays off. Both of the leader's hand axes are magical. They register weak evocation, enough to figure that its a pair of +1 hand axes. That really excites Korian, who thinks handaxes fit his fighting style far better than a rapier.

    Since Korian's claws and bite are already able to pierce (let alone his pilum), he doesn't feel he needs a rapier as well. He always felt silly using it, anyway. So, he's willing to hand it over to someone, but he wants the magical handaxes. I doubt anyone else is clamoring for them, so ....

    Darrius: This could be your first magical weapon as something bigger than a dagger?
    Ka'Xet: A magical rapier has better accuracy and damage than your mindblade, and better on a critical strike?

    If neither of you want it, Diamondback says she'd take it, because you never know when you come up against something where fists don't work.

    What are we thinking about this, gang? (Lazer's recommendation is for Ka'Xet to have the rapier, since Darrius has other options .... but there might be "pride" issues that Ka'Xet has to deal with concerning magic rapier vs mindblade.)
    ***************************

    Lazer gives Diamondback 1 charge of CMW from the wand, and she is fully healed. The same for himself and fully healed as well.

    With the huntress tied up, Lazer has Korian and Celiss at close guard, Ka'Xet well back to thwack her if she tries anything, and he'll have Diamondback and Darrius assist him in questioning her. It sucks, but he wants info and he can't wait for her to wake up, so he uses the wand on her. The first charge is practically a waste as it only heals 6 NL/normal damage. A second charge heals 14 NL/normal on her and she is now awake. She is still badly wounded, but is fully clear-headed.

    Lazer desires smoother words, but recognizes that this type only deals with threats. He and Diamondback are the most intimidating, and they easily cow her. Her name is Huntress Lorb-Lorb Tub and is willing to give information for her life. She knows that a half-orc stranger hired her mate's tribe (which includes her) to attack this household. The last she knew of anything is the following:
    Atrium: 3 bullywugs. You've already taken them out.
    Trophy Hall: 3 bullywugs.
    Laundry: 2 bullywugs, but since the alarm was sounded they've probably moved out to the balcony.
    Basement: Her mate, Chief Lorpth, is enjoying the mud they've made from the underground spring here. He waits down there for the half-orc stranger and Bua Gorg to finish whatever they're doing upstairs. With him are 2 Trub Glorp Hunters and his pet rust monster Chinkus. (The bullywugs are of the Trub Glorp tribe.) They've got some woman hostage down there.
    Master Bedroom: The half-orc is waiting for the brother of the head woman of this house to return so he can kill him. Bua Gorg, the tribal cleric, is up there with him, along with several other prisoners.

    So, how does the party wish to proceed? Lazer mentions that he has the writ from Captain Javell for Drevoraz to stand down, so he advocates going directly to the master bedroom.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-04-06 at 09:48 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss agrees with Lazer. If they can stop Drevoraz, there would be no need to fight their way through the bullywug tribe. The huntress' description of the basement relieves Celiss - Lady Lavinia was still alive.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  9. - Top - End - #759
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Considering Korian is wanting to get right to business saving Lavinia and getting rid of the pirate, he's for that plan as well, making it a done deal.

    At the corner of the dining hall are a set of stairs leading up to the kitchen. Stoves, basins, and preparation counters fill up this cramped chamber. This kitchen is large enough to prepare a banquet. Although the kitchen is sizable, it is underused since the deaths of Lavinia's parents. The only evidence of recent occupation is a small wheel of Lavinia's favorite cheese (Hollowsky port) and a loaf of hardened bread. Even the wine rack is empty (Lavinia sold off some of the bottles and Vanthus drank the rest during his short stay in the manor immediately after their parent's death).

    Instead of bypassing everything, though, Korian suggests getting rid of the two bullwugs that are watching the street from the balcony (if the huntress wasn't lying). Lazer will open the door, and whoever rushes them first ...

    R1T23: Diamondback speeds onto the balcony to try and bullrush a bullywug over the edge. Sure enough, she slams into one and he goes tumbling over to take 2 damage and is prone below.

    R1T18: That bullywug croaks in anger, gets up and goes running around towards the front of the house.

    R1T15: Korian goes to do the same thing, but manages to put a little spin on his. He crashes into the other bullywug, actually doing 8 damage to it before it falls over the balcony for 5 damage below. That one didn't have time to get itself into a rage, and with its prior wounds does nothing.

    That was fast. The one might be "hopping mad" but it will take him a little bit to get up here, he was wounded already, and he might end up not wanting to deal with this.

    [ooc]Got to run back to costume hang, but this is forward progress.[/ooc]
    Did we have a taker on the +1 rapier?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #760
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    But as cheesy as the bullywug regulars are to you guys, this is akin to watching an action movie where you see a scene where there are bad guys, and we cut to a scene where the bad guys are dispatched ... cause it just ain't worth it.

    You move through a 20' long 5pwy (doors at both ends), which opens up into the very large Training Hall at the NW corner of the manor on the first floor, with spiral staircase in NW corner and a nice fireplace to your right as you walk in. This large open room is devoid of furniture, save a weapons rack containing several quality weapons, including three longswords, an axe, two daggers, four rapiers, a strange-looking crossbow, a ranseur, and a spiked chain. The floor is thickly carpeted to absorb the shock of a fall or takedown. The bodies of six froglike humanoids lie sprawled on the floor. It looks like there was a valiant last stand in here.

    A pair of double doors to your left, 15' up, takes you into the very spacious hallway with two large sets of stairs leading down to the atrium (the first place you entered where you fought your first three bullwugs). Doors closer to you lead to the Laboratory and the Family Shrine, and across the hall there are two doors leading to two guest rooms. Most importantly on the opposite side, however, are the stairs leading up to the second floor. And you go ...

    The stairs come up facing the southern end of the house, close to the double doors leading to Lavinia's Room. Even though it's not the Master Bedroom, the huntress doesn't quite now the rooms and may have had it confused. The double doors are flung open and the party peeks in ...

    Tall windows overlook the city of Sasserine to the west and south from the spacious bedroom, which features a large, four-poster bed made with frilly, lacy sheets and heaped with pillows. Several of the sheets and pillows lie scattered across the floor, and a bloody handprint with webbed fingers mars the wall near the door; additional bloodstains and muddy footprints stain the carpet in places. A dead frogman lies slumped against the desk in the northwest corner of the room.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lavinia, rightfully the head of Vanderboren Manor now, still hasn't felt comfortable about moving out of the room she's had since she was a child and into her deceased parents' room.
    Lazer does a quick check of the body with Diamondback, as Ka'Xet watches the hallway with mindblade ready to throw, and Darrius ready to spit. The bullywug had suffered several wounds in a running battle, but it appears the killing blows were delivered by rapier, but from a weaker hand than some of the other puncture wounds seen elsewhere on the ground. Lazer muses over that, and Korian offers, "Maybe Lavinia got in a few good licks?"

    Lazer is about to dismiss the idea when he shrugs and simply says, "Could be. Regardless, her body isn't here and this one is dead, so someone did a good job."

    The second major room in the middle of the top floor is Vanthus' Room. The door is opened just for a look. This large bedroom is clean, well-ordered, and almost sterile in appearance; it's obvious that no one's used this chamber in weeks.

    Finally, you get to the north end to the double doors leading to the Master Bedroom.

    "Kick it open," says Lazer. "We lost stealth when the alarm sounded. Get ready for fire."

    The double doors are flung open ...

    This room is dark and cloying; the shutters are closed, and the air smells of a rank combination of body odor and swamp mud. The desk, chairs, and most other furniture in this room have all been draped with white canvas dust covers, giving this room the eerie feeling of a tomb. Only the large four-poster bed in the northwest corner of the room has been uncovered, its dust covers lying in a heap on the side.

    Four hostages are tied to chairs, back to back, in the center of the room. The hostages include Lavinia, two of the Jade Ravens (Tolin Kientai and Zan Oldavin .... which begs the question, where is the dwarf Kaskus Hebel Kiel if Liamae is the woman in the basement?), and another person that Celiss and Darrius know. You haven't seen him in awhile, but he must be back in town on business: it's Corin "Wanderfar" Denomar. Of the four, only Lavinia is conscious, regarding her captors silently with eyes narrowed in fury. The other three are either dead or comatose or unconscious.

    There is a sad scene in the middle of the floor. The crotchety-yet-lovable old halfling maid and cook, Kora Whistlegap, is obviously dead with her throat slit in the middle of the floor.

    Drevoraz is a muscular half-orc dressed in masterwork studded leather and decorated with numerous tattoos, and has a masterwork scimitar. The scimitar is interesting because it is charged with a blue glow ... one that Darrius recognizes as incarnum, but he doesn't know what is with the blade.

    Bua Gorg must be one of the most grotesque bullywugs in the tribe, with sickly yellowish skin and sagging throat pouch, disgustingly deflated after an enemy's tribesman's spear punctured it. Now when the priest breathes heavily in delighted anticipation of bloodshed (such as now), his ruptured throat pouch sucks and dribbles noisily. He wears quality leather armor, has a quiver of javelins, and carries a fine spear. Most interesting, again to Darrius, is that he is definitely an incarnate, and currently has the melds lightning gauntlets, mantle of flame, truthseeker goggles, and diadem of purelight shaped. He has an amulet, a religious symbol.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss and Darrius recognize the symbol as that of Dagon, an evil god of the briny depths.

    Right now, Drevoraz has his scimitar readied to strike down the helpless Lavinia. Bua Gorg, on the other hand, seems to have a spell at the ready.

    "What the Hades?" says Drevoraz to the party. "Where the hell's Vanthus? No matter. Lay down your arms or I'll hack off your pretty employer's head."

    Lazer steps forward to the front of the party. "Drevoraz, I have here a letter from Captain Javell .... and this marilith earring so you may know it was her who sent it. Stop the attack. Lavinia has no knowledge of her wicked brother's wrongdoing."

    Drevoraz' countenance changes on this, and he looks at dead or dying or KO'd hostages and the dead maidservant. His eyes come up to Lazer's. "Very well, but I demand safe passage out of the city. I was acting on orders for a very high order of treachery that took countless lives."

    "WHAT?!?" shrieks Bua Gorg. "We were promised blood for the lord of the depths! Dagon will not be denied!"

    He begins casting a spell ...
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #761
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T23: Well. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Not only does initiative belong to the "helpless" Lavinia, but it appears that the crafty noblewoman had worked free of her bonds up to this point. She darts out from under the surprised half-orc's nose and gets behind the party. "Can somebody help a girl out with a weapon? Rapier, dagger, or short sword preferred. And there's no way that half-orc gets out. Doesn't matter what the deal was, it was he that killed Kora to cow the others."

    R1T22: Just a hair behind the surprisingly agile woman, Drevoraz curses and looks and charges Lazer (who stepped in front). As he does so, his eyes glow a cobalt blue. He 'grazes' the winged dwarf's belly for 17 damage!

    R1T17: Celiss, you and Diamondback are both behind Lazer. You last had your rapier and short sword in hand, so if you want to cast anything, you'd need to drop yoru rapier. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss, intent on casting a spell, will hand her rapier to Lavinia if possible.

    You know, we could have talked about this, but if you're going to turn to violence, so will I, Celiss says, finishing a multitude of arcane symbols with a snap of the fingers of her left and a short incantation. As she points to the half-orc, a blazing ray of unnatural heat lances from her hand.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up to a move action: Give Lavinia the rapier. If I can't, just drop it (she can pick it up if she wants)
    Standard: Scorching Ray!

    RTA: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (4d6)[8]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-04-09 at 09:35 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  13. - Top - End - #763
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T17: Celiss, intent on casting a spell, will hand her rapier to Lavinia if possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've often been curious how to handle handing over items to other hands. I think a MA is a fine way to hand it over in a controlled manner, with a FA for the recipient. The MA is so it doesn't fall, and would provoke an AOO ... but the half-orc doesn't threaten you, so not now. And it would only be a FA to grab the item if a hand is open, and does not provoke an AOO.

    "You know, we could have talked about this, but if you're going to turn to violence, so will I," Celiss says, finishing a multitude of arcane symbols with a snap of the fingers of her left and a short incantation. As she points to the half-orc, a blazing ray of unnatural heat lances from her hand. She might normally have hit, but she has to adjust so as not to hit Lazer, and the half-orc seems to be more agile than herself. The scorching ray continues past and blows out a window, destroying the curtains (but causing them to flashburn too quickly to continue burning).

    R1T16: Diamondback makes a series of incredible and flashy maneuvers to end up flanking the half-orc with Lazer. She uses a lot of tactical defense, offset by the flank, to grab the half-orc. As good as she is, his strength manages to keep her from maintaining a hold.

    R1T10: Ka'Xet, you don't share Celiss' lack of training in shooting into a melee. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #764
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet attempts to throw his mindblade through the half-orc and manifests another.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  15. - Top - End - #765
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T10: Ka'Xet attempts to throw his mindblade through the half-orc and manifests another. It's a brilliant toss, hitting Drevoraz in the left shoulder, but his mithral chain shirt stops the psi-missile from scoring a critical and he takes 9 damage.

    R1T8: Korian tosses his pilum overhead at the casting bullywug, doing max damage (12) to its left elbow. The fanatical cleric will not be denied, however, and forces himself to overcome the pain to continue casting. Korian then tumbles past man and croc to end 5' from Bua Gorg.

    R1T7.9: The pilum barely has time to smash the cleric's arm before he finishes the spell. A crocodile appears 10' behind Diamondback. This crocodile, however, carries with it the tang of a truly fetid, even acrid, swamp. It's scales glisten green-black, and it is almost as if it possesses a malign intelligence.

    "Kill that first woman!" hisses Bua Gorg.

    The monster charges Diamondback (and as such is now flanking with Drevoraz against her) and snaps on her left upper arm for 12 (max) damage. She wrestles briefly with it before she manages to pull away (part of that high damage is the pulling as well as the bite).

    Bua Gorg then casts a spell upon himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss, Darrius, Lazer...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Protection from good. First spell was summon monster III.Celiss only ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a fiendish crocodile.

    R1T6:Darrius?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-04-09 at 07:07 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #766
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T6: Darrius says as he just barely ducks past the half-orc and then just barely past the crocodile while drawing his rapier (if not out already), "Wow. An incarnate, huh? Of evil, no doubt."

    He quips to his friends, "This guy has a shocking grasp like me, those blue goggles and can see deception .... and, it seems like he has a mantle of flame like myself. Half-orc is boosting his blade with essentia somehow."

    He stabs the bullywug in the belly for max (13, because of max bluesteel bracers), but Darrius still takes 1 mod fire damage from the bullywug's mantle.

    End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

    R2T23: Lavinia manages to squeeze to the immediate right of Drevoraz. You never realized she was so agile and she stabs the half-orc in the upper intercostals for 5 damage.

    R2T22: Drevoraz is far more disciplined than his kin, however, he steps 5' away from Lavinia against the other side of the wall in this larger ante-section of the room (15' wide). He puts a little extra power into his swing and attacks the flying dwarf but Lazer manages to lift his feet as the cutlass passes underneath.

    R2T17: Celiss, what do you do? Close for melee, cast a spell .... ?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm seeing the opportunity to fully discover the effects of my [Evil] subtype - that is, if it allows me to pierce PfG. If it does, could you tell me so I can add something to my description of my attacks about them being unexpectedly accurate or similar?


    Celiss, recognizing the threat of the bullywug if he were allowed to continue casting unhindered, immediately moves to attack him, slashing at him with her bonded sword.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to attack the bullywug.

    A: (1d20+7)[18]
    D: (1d6+3)[4]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  18. - Top - End - #768
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T17: Celiss, recognizing the threat of the bullywug if he were allowed to continue casting unhindered, immediately moves to attack him, slashing at him with her bonded sword. With Drevoraz against the wall, Celiss can move easily along the opposite wall to avoid him ... but not the crocodile, which snaps at her while she passes. She moves alongside Darrius and stabs the bullywug in the left hand for 4 damage, but not before she has to force her sword through a deflecting force.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It would seem that you are affected by protection from good.
    Licks of incarnum-flame try to burn you but do nothing.

    Lazer calls out and says, "He's an incarnum blade user ... he has limited ability to use soul magic, but it makes his sword more accurate, deadly, but also far harder to break."

    R2T16: Diamondback fights with an equal mix of extra power and defense, but that combination throws off her accuracy with a kick.

    R2T15: Lazer tries to fly up quickly but the half-orc hits him in the right elbow for a whopping 24 damage as the dwarf drops his warhammer. He continues his ascent to be up to the high ceiling out of reach of the half-orc and his scimitar as he drew a second wand. Lazer is in the red. He puts both wands in a hand (two wands is no problem, they're held, not wielded) and casts a CMW on himself for 22 healing, bringing him back up to the green.

    R2T10: Ka'Xet, only 10' of space between you and Drevoraz. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-04-13 at 02:11 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #769
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet flings a mindblade at Drevoraz, closes and manifests another mindblade on the fly.

    ATK

    (1d20+6)[15]

    DAM

    (1d6+3)[6]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  20. - Top - End - #770
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T10: Ka'Xet flings a mindblade at Drevoraz, closes and manifests another mindblade on the fly. Because of the close range, the mindblade just barely manages to get through the studded leather gorget to hit the half-orc along the side of the neck for 7 damage.

    R2T8: Korian breathes in to calm himself, and weaves the handaxes around in the air until the concealing chill mists surround him. He lashes out with both axes at the crocodile behind him while utilizing full tactical defense. The hesitation throws off both blades as they lightly bounce off the croc's hard skin.

    R2T7.95: Korian's defenses, though, are impressive. The croc, in thrashing about to try and get at him, ends up biting its own tail for 13 damage.

    R2T7.9: The electricity in Bua Gorg's gauntlets (which, btw, continue aong his spear) diminishes slightly, while his mantle of flame gets hotter. He begins casting a spell defensively ...

    R2T6: Darrius, what do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius chuckles as he notices the change in essentia, "Try to burn us all you like, it'll get you nowhere." He thrusts in with the rapier and a moment later his hand whips out, hoping to catch with the claws.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, this might not be the brightest idea against the flames, but Full Round for a Rapier and a Secondary Claw attack

    Rapier: (1d20+7)[10]
    Pierce: (1d6+7)[13]

    Claw: (1d20+1)[21]
    P/S: (1d3+4)[5]

    And an extra d20 if a crit is threatened (1d20)[4]

    Edit: So, thats an almost definite miss on the rapier, with a natural 20 and no confirm on the crit for the claw.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2012-04-17 at 03:28 PM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  22. - Top - End - #772
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T6: Darrius chuckles as he notices the change in essentia, "Try to burn us all you like, it'll get you nowhere."

    He thrusts in with the rapier and a moment later his hand whips out, hoping to catch with the claws what he failed to hit with his sword. It's a nice slash across the bullywug's inside left elbow, but just failing to sever the tendon and artery there, doing 5 damage. A good strike, but the bullywug's fanatacism carries him through the pain as he continues casting. Even with his dragon mantle, Darrius still takes 5 mod fire damage.

    End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

    R3T23: Lavinia darts forward to poke Drevoraz in the lower abdomen for 5 damage.

    R3T22: Despite the poke from Lavina, Drevoraz recognizes Diamondback and Ka'Xet as the more dangerous two. He slashes across and 'grazes' Diamondback's belly for 17 damage, recovers, and then just misses critting her in the head for 18 damage. Diamondback is suddenly in the red.

    R3T17: Celiss, you are with Darrius trying to stop the bullywug cleric, who is in the middle of casting what appears to specifically be a summon monster I spell. Not incredibly dangerous in and of itself, but right now the battlefield is spread thin already. Lazer was almost dropped (but he's fine now), and now suddenly Diamondback will definitely be dropped with another slash from Drevoraz' scimitar .... and Lavinia standing toe-to-toe with the exceptional half-orc warrior is at once both inspiring and daunting. Then, of course, Korian is going mano-y-croc with the crocodile. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #773
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T17: Celiss figures she needs to drop the bullywug cleric quickly, but knows Darrius is better fighting with a flank-buddy. "Darrius, I've got this herpetological abomination well in hand. See if you can't use a more 'finesse-based' approach to combat if you can."

    Celiss calculates lines of trajectory, force, and angles while adjusting for likely spots of impact on the odd bullywug's yet-humanoid frame. Her fist slams deep into its gut for 5 damage. Despite her excellent strike, the cleric is too tough to be stunned even by Celiss. Still, he had to focus so much inner strength to not be stunned .... that he loses his spell.

    "Dagon will breathe your blood, you bitch!" he screams in anger. And his anger burns red hot, for his mantle flares enough that even with her infernal heritage, Celiss still takes 9 fire damage!

    Undeterred, she finishes her flurry with a kick to the solar plexus for 9 (max) damage. But again, the flame flares impossibly hot as she takes another 9 fire damage.

    "On second thought, Darrius" she hisses through the pain of her burns, "let's drop this guy together, huh?"

    R3T16: Diamondback stops applying any extra power and instead goes for full tactical defense, landing no blow.

    R3T15: Lazer gets and points a wand at Drevoraz. Even in the thick of combat he hits the half-orc easily enough in the left shoulder for 2 Strength. Not a lot, but it's something.

    R3T10: Ka'Xet, you are in melee with Drevoraz. This guy doesn't look like he was slowed that much by the feeble ray of enfeeblement. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #774
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet attempts to get stabby with it.

    ATK
    (1d20+7)[25]

    DAM
    (1d6+3)[7]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  25. - Top - End - #775
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T10: Ka'Xet attempts to get stabby wid' it .... yo. He pierces along the outside of Drevoraz' left elbow for 7 damage.

    R3T8: Korian uses full tactical defense as he fights alone against the croc, and his bite lands for 4 damage.

    R3T7.95: It really looks like the crocodile will land a bite, but Korian's defense is too dizzying for it, and its tail slap goes wide.

    R3T7.9: Bua Gorg says to Celiss, "Witch-woman, you will burn yourself on me before I ever fall to you."

    He then defensively casts CMW on himself for 15 healing.

    R3T6: Darrius, what do you do?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh .... it just so happens that Bua Gorg and Drevoraz are at the exact same current hit point total.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius weighs his options for a moment and then simply decides on continuing the attack.

    Spoiler
    Show
    My brain is mushy, can he set up a flanking position or is there no room?

    5ft step would be preferred, but doubtful, acrobatics if needed (1d20)[12]... and I can't seem to pry open my character sheet to find his modifier right now. Bleh...

    If there are no flanking positions available even with a tumble about, full attack for Rapier and Secondary Claw, otherwise just Rapier. No flanking bonus is applied to these attack rolls.

    Rapier: (1d20+7)[13]
    Pierce: (1d6+7)[13]

    Claw: (1d20+1)[14]
    P/S: (1d3+4)[6]

    If SnA from flanking: (2d6)[5][2](7)

    Possible crit rolls
    (2d20)[7][8](15)
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  27. - Top - End - #777
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T6: Darrius weighs his options for a moment and then simply decides on continuing the attack. Neither the magic rapier nor claws are able to get through the bullywug's fine leather armor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    With Celiss face-to-face with Bua Gorg, you can't get a flank. Even if Celiss went to the only exposed flank (his left), the right side is blocked by a highboy. If you turn and move 10', you would instantly flank the crocodile with Korian.

    End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

    R4T23: Lavinia stabs Drevoraz in the upper center chest for max (8) damage with the magic rapier. It seems that the heroes' earlier exploits must have inspired her to take up the sword, because she is fighting like a regular swashbuckler (though not with the same level of skill as the PCs).

    R4T22: Despite having just gotten stabbed 1" below the suprasternal cavity (hollow of the base of the neck), Drevoraz tries to thin the battlefield by dropping Diamondback. He cuts deep across her left upper arm and well into her intercostals and through the lungs and out the heart, critting her in a spray of blood for 34 damage.

    She is dead before she hits the ground. She has repaid her debt quite dearly.

    He continues his brutal attack, this time targeting the funny-looking man with the funny glowing sword. His attack cuts across Ka'Xet's right elbow for 16 damage.

    R4T17: Back over by Bua Gorg, what does Celiss do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    We'll see which of us burns first. Celiss says, deciding to use her own fire instead of risking further injury by attacking him.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is going to be a bundle of if-thens. Sort of.

    If I can hit Bua Gorg with Burning Hands without hitting any of my allies, then I'll use it.

    If I can take a step to avoid AOOS, then I'll take it.

    If I need to provoke an AOO from someone or defensively cast, I'll check to see if Bua is unarmed or wielding a very low-damage [i.e. dagger or similar] weapon. If he is, I'll just try casting normally. If not, I'll go for defensive casting.

    Damage: (4d4)[11]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  29. - Top - End - #779
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T17: "We'll see which of us burns first," Celiss says, deciding to use her own fire instead of risking further injury by attacking him. She steps back and slightly left to make sure Darrius is clear and casts burning hands, enveloping Bua Gorg for 11 fire damage.

    R4T15: Lazer prays, "Procan, take your servant who died honorably to make up for her cutthroat ways. She died well."

    He then points the wand again, but fails to make it work.

    R4T10: Ka'Xet, you are clearly outclassed. This monstrosity is far better, focused with his weapon, and is stupidly strong with other things to make this a lopsided battle for you. Lavinia has been lucky, but as Drevoraz outclasses you, you outclass her ... and with Diamondback dead (who was likely the best melee-ist of the three of you, not counting the non-melee dwarf) .... things are looking very grim. Drevoraz seems to be sporting good wounds, and is riding the line between the green and yellow. Still, you face him. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #780
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spit in his face, get some distance between us, throw a psychically-charged mindblade and manifest another.

    C'mere you great bratchny cheena and get a good clop on your gulliver.

    ATK

    (1d20+6)[25]

    DAM

    (1d6+3)[8]

    Psi-DAM

    (1d8)[6]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •