Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R5T12: Wanderfar bites back a scream, but instead lets out a strangled grunt. The spider creature is fast, but hopefully he can time things to lash out at it when it comes again. Stumbling backwards ten feet, Wanderfar prepares himself to strike at the creature if it emerges from the tunnel again.

    R5T11.9/8: Meanwhile Rabbi Cohen instructs the first one to load her crossbow and put the case of bolts around his belt. The second takes that crossbow and puts it in his hands ... as per his instructions

    R5T7: Rabbi Cohen then covers 50' down the starboard side, J-hooking around to stand on the port side of the hatch, across from Celiss. He moved 50' with agility, not a run. He moved 50 feet ... and he still gets to fire. (With a natural '20' of all things ... sadly, it's not a crit.) The bolt hits the thing in the thorax for 4 damage.

    "Vakrissa," he calls, "those tactics would be sound if all we had to do is fight it. But - druid - do you not wish to protect the creatures as well? If we trap it or cause it too much trouble, it will feed on simpler fare, no?"

    Vakrissa hangs her head slightly and bites her lip, nodding her head.

    End Round Five, Begin Round Six ...

    R6T20.9: Celiss, the rabbi looks at you and says, "The best way to fight it is to simply give it nowhere to go. Your magic makes you the most protected. I'll follow behind with healing, though I only have one spell left."

    What do you do?

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    It sounds like he means to go down there after it.

    Celiss considers casting her final spell, but knows that at this point there'd be no point to it-she needs to be difficult to hit, first and foremost. Besides, her improved reach would be nearly useless against this thing-she could only strike at it when it was running away or moving in, not both.

    So, Cellis moves down the ladder, stopping above the floor to retain a height advantage, staying in a defensive stance. If the bug-thing is close enough, she lashes out at it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Go down the ladder. Stay up to get a +1 to hit from height advantage, if possible.
    Note: Fighting defensively, my AC is now 26.

    If possible, my attack:
    (1d20)[11](-4 fighting defensively, +1 terrain)
    (1d6+3)[6]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R6T20.9: Celiss considers casting her final spell, but knows that at this point there'd be no point to it-she needs to be difficult to hit, first and foremost. Besides, her improved reach would be nearly useless against this thing-she could only strike at it when it was running away or moving in, not both.

    So, Cellis moves down the ladder, stopping above the floor to retain a height advantage, staying in a defensive stance. If the bug-thing is close enough, she lashes out at it.

    R6T20: The rhagodessa lunges forward. Celiss tries to strike it, but she can't punch through the chitin. Instead of a bite, the thing lashes out with one of its pedipalps and sticks to her belly with those little suckers. They don't do any damage, but she is grappled by the inhuman strength and holding power of this monster. The thing gets a free bite, but it can't seem to get through her force armor.

    R6T16: Vakrissa understands the rabbi, and feels shame for she did not think of protecting the creatures below. With her perfect maneuverability, she flies down the hatch until she is next to the grappled pair and cuts with her scythe, doing 8 damage.

    R6T14: Darrius, with the mass of bodies down there, you can't get to the creature, any ranged attack would have an equal chance of hitting Celiss ... but it's too hard to target with Vakrissa in the way. Delay ... (though if you think of something to do in general to be helpful ... you could hustle forward and go down the forward ladder into the hold).

    R6T12: Wanderfar, ditto ...

    R6T7: Besides, Rabbi Cohen is at the ladder, loading the crossbow and readying for an opening ...

    End Round Six, Begin Round Seven ...

    R7T20.9: Celiss, you are grabbed by this thing's pedipalps, though they do no damage. What do you do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    P.S.: You never said anything about one of the important things you saw down there ... and Wanderfar never mentioned it, either. You see that rather thick humanoid limb withdraw. A second later, it comes to the cage and looks out. You realize then that this is probably no true humanoid, but possibly a small giant.

    It is a gangly creature, which if it stood at its full height instead of being stooped here, would top out at about a full eight feet in height. However, it does possess a sort of stooped nature and probably weighs little more than about 400 pounds. Its skin is mainly white, though mottled with pebbly grayish-white warty bumps on its hide. It also has all manner of patchy fur about it, colored from white to gray to a dark brown. Its eyes are pure white ... and then they start to glow a deep blue as its face contorts in unmistakeable rage.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss will try and grapple this thing into submission, since it's...well, given her an opening, I guess. She'll also shout There's a giant in here...be careful, it looks angry! to the others(especially Vakrissa, since she has her back towards it[she does, right?])

    Spoiler
    Show
    Grapple!
    (1d20+3)[18]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R7T20.9: Celiss will try and grapple this thing into submission, since it's...well, given her an opening, I guess. She'll also shout to the others, There's a giant in here...be careful, it looks angry!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vakrissa is 'behind' you, on the stairs, more forward of your position relative to the boat. This giant-thing is aft of the combat.
    Celissa does some outstanding martial arts twisting to lock, but this thing is too powerful, tough, and what's more, she's just not used to grappling something with this bizarred shape.

    R7T20: This thing desperately scrapes off her armor, finally releasing her from its pedipalp. You are no longer grappled, but Vakrissa is behind you so can't get in an attack. (Too cramped too fly above you.)

    R7T14/12: Darrius and Wanderfar yell, "Bricka-bracka-firecracker, siss-boom-bah! Celiss, Celiss, Rah-rah-rah!" .... or not.

    R7T7: Rabbi Cohen has to aim very high to not hit friendlies and misses. He then reloads.

    R7T5: The giant thing goes "rrrr-RRRR-RRAAAHHHH!!" and rips the iron gate out of the wooden holders. Instead of trying to rip the bars, it seems it was smart enough to just hold on and try to wrench it away from its weaker mounting. He steps out into the passageway, dropping the gate aft of him.

    End Round Seven, Begin Round Eight ....

    R7T20.9: Celiss?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-01-14 at 08:55 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Not much to do, then...

    Ready an action to attack the bug-thing as soon I have room to, if I can.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R7T20.9/20: Celiss, you're right next to it, so ... you try to tag it, and you and it are ducking and clacking and blocking each other.

    R7T16: Vakrissa takes out a javelin and hurls it, but she misses badly. She carries them, but she doesn't seem very skilled with them.

    R7T14/12/5: Rabbi Cohen, who has taken a prone position at the top of the stairs (sniper style), says, "Wanderfar/ Darrius, check on the fallen."

    The passageway is too crowded and he misses his shot and reloads.

    R7T5: The bipedal monster-giant thingie attacks with two claws, both of them slashing against the rhagodessa's abdomen for a total of 26 damage. Its claws sinking deep in, he pulls the thing to itself and rips it in half. The rhagodessa is dead, but now you have a new monster to deal with ...

    End Round Seven, Begin Round Eight ...

    R8T20.9: Celiss, what do you do? You are 10' from this bipedal, feral thing with claws, definitely in some sort of feral rage, and deep blue glowing eyes. (The intervening 5' square is rhagodessa-ragout.)

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss is still on the stairs, right?

    Total defense.
    Can you understand me? We don't want to fight you! We aren't with the people who caged you.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    The glowing dark-blue of his eyes dims and fades until you see ... just as disturbing ... pure white eyes. No defineable irises, pupils, or even sclera. Something about him diminishes, too ... not that he gets smaller or anything, but that his recent exertions took a great toll on him.

    Oh, and I say "him," because ............ yeah, nothing like clothes on him. He seems to recognize this based on your attempt not to notice, and he covers himself with his hands and the fur on his arms. Shame of nakedness - more of a sign of intelligence than speech itself, perhaps. He simply goes back into his cage.

    Meanwhile, Rabbi Cohen double-checks on the fallen victims. Vark is merely unconscious, as is the woman Celiss kicked ... the latter of whom was a stepover obstacle in this last battle. There is a woman on deck that Wanderfar dropped that is in a deep coma, and Rabbi-Doctor does what he can to help make sure she is stable.

    DM CAVEAT: Darrius and Wanderfar have since used the more than ample rope to tie together the two surrendered and the two KO'd goons, but are not permitted by the Doctor to do the same to the woman that lies a step away from death. (I doubt, once they knew her condition, they would've been that cruel.)

    Meanwhile, in the hold ... the noises of the animals (and the smell) is intense, though the animals are starting to calm now that the rhagodessa is dead - which only increases the disgusting smell. Vakrissa goes to the opening of the cage of the strange 'ally' and looks in, motioning for Celiss to look. The creature is in a bed of rotting, filthy, stinking hay. Next to him, wrapped in his arms, is a much smaller creature; this second creature may or may not be semi-anthropomorphic like the small giant, it's hard to tell. It has thick brown fur, and is cuddled in a ball in the giant's arms.

    Vakrissa says, "I've never seen anything like him before." (And yes, that more than goes for double for Celiss.)

    Outside their now open cage, on the post, is a piece of paper that says, "Drug gargun every 4 hours," with little boxes for folks to check and make their mark next to for accountability.

    After that massive battle, and even after its possible freedom .... the giant-thing is snoring deeply.

    Back on deck, Rabbi Cohen says that we need to search the ship to see if we can't find Lavinia's father's signet ring ... and perhaps clues to what has been happening.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss will start searching, then. She goes for things that appear to be documentation first.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Once Vakrissa mentions what happened and that Celiss is searching around, Rabbi Cohen recommends that Vakrissa-Celiss and himself-Darrius do a search. The first group will start with the lower decks, going aft to forward, then back again. The second group will star on the two raised decks, forward to aft, then back again.

    Meanwhile, Wanderfar will be at the top of the midships hatch to make sure that the giant-thing does nothing else, but also keeps his eye on the prisoners.

    Darrius, the rabbi is helping you with your search. You start with the foc'sle and the quarterdecks, which are external. On the maindeck, starting aft inside the hull, are the Captain's Quarters. You easily find a large chest in there. Inside is a pouch with 100 platinum. Rabbi looks at you and says, "Well, we know where her 1000 gp payment went .... nowhere but here. We still have to find that signet ring."

    A cursory search turns up nothing. He recommends that you both really turn the place over, the Captain's Quarters makes the most sense. "If we don't find it, we can then comb the rest of the ship."

    Darrius, by taking 20, you find Lavinia's father's signet ring hidden in the headboard of the captain's bunk. Threaded through the signet ring is a rolled up piece of parchment, upon which is written a strange list of monsters. [I'll E-mail the handout, but will reprint here as well ...]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Chimera looks to sunrise

    Cyclops looks to sunset

    Medusa looks to sunrise

    Umber Hulk looks to sunset

    Basilisk looks to sunrise


    Celiss and Vakrissa ... because the other search team is taking some time, you catch up with them. Right outside the Captain's Quarters are the Officer's Quarters and the Wardroom. In the wardroom, in a pantry, Celiss finds a small salve jar with a pasty green substance. There is a note with it saying, "Mix this with feral gargun's food and feed once every 4 hours. Check off sheet."

    Vakrissa easily recognizes the goo, saying that it is a powerful sedative and depressant made from various forms of plants. Worse, it looks like they've run out! They probably expected to run to an apothecary in town to get more. She believes that if the gray thing that awoke briefly is a "feral gargun", then they've been keeping it drugged and docile.

    The groups meet together and go out onto the weatherdeck to discuss ....

    Fact: Lavinia's payment has been recovered.
    Fact: Lavinia's father's signet ring has been recovered.
    Fact: The Blue Nixie has effectively been recovered, and Rabbi Cohen will make sure Lavinia has witnesses to pay the harbormaster directly this time.
    Fact: Soller Vark and four other prisoners - one comatose - have been captured, and now it will require telling the watch.
    Fact: The boat you came in - the one the rabbi rented - is missing. One of the routed thugs probably stole it in the commotion of the fight.
    Fact: There are many cages below, full of various species. However, one of the now unsecured cages holds (well, contains) a sleeping, furry gray giant thing that may or may not be a 'feral gargun.' Also, there is something else in its arms, but nobody has gone to disturb a sleeping giant ... thingy.

    Rabbi Cohen - who is so well-mannered and soft spoken - when incensed is as scary and righteous as they come. He makes the two conscious women spill what they know, which is that they were going to be paid 20 gp apiece to help load crates of animals onto the Blue Nixie, and then a few days later onto another ship in the middle of the night.

    So, what does the party do or suggest?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-01-15 at 07:48 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Vakrissa says, "Shall I fly and go get the Azure District Watch to bring a launch out and to take these thugs to prison, and then we'll go back to Lady Vanderboren?"

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss considers for a moment, before nodding. It's probably a good idea-we have no boat, so unless we feel like swimming back to shore with our captives or spontaneously know how to carefully maneuver a ship already in port into a position very close to shore without damaging anything...I think it's best to send for the watch, yes. She says, looking around the port. Presumably, her eyes are adjusted to the darkness enough to allow for some rough estimates-it would be difficult to move the ship close enough to shore for a direct disembarkation, right?
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Vakrissa goes to fly off to the Azure District Garrison.

    Darrius knows that it a ship is a delicate thing to move .... and nobody else has any real training. He's seen some stuff, as has (interestingly), the Rabbi-Doctor Cohen ... but only enough to know that you have a better chance of foundering or damaging the ship (or the pier) than to be in any way successful at moving it.

    "I do not know by what manner Moradin has given me blessings," says the rabbi, "but just in case his gifts go further..."

    He concentrates, and intuitively says the words (Wanderfar recognizes this) for cure light wounds to give Wanderfar 8 healing, fully healing the Itinerant Acolyte. Rabbi Cohen seems to develop a massive headache, and a little trickle of blood comes out of his nose. "I think," he says, "that Moradin has heard me, but has given me a migraine to understand that no more gifts will he give me. No matter, for I am overjoyed! Never have I enjoyed such miracles to bestow on others!"

    Before the more studied priest (Wanderfar) can ask any questions about the rabbi's more 'accidental' divine spellcasting ...

    It seems that someone shoulda' fed fluffy his meds this past hour, 'cause guess who comes up the hatch from his little nap? You guessed it, the big white-gray-brown furry, bipedal monster. He steps out onto the deck and looks around at the rest of the shocked party. Following him partially to the edge of the battens to the hatch is a smaller Medium-sized creature with very animalistic features and brown fur, with tan markings on the face, but impressive teeth ... and his hands/ paws (you're not sure which) have very sharp claws on them.

    Now again, even though the big'un is 8' tall, his stooped posture is such that he still (barely) only qualifies as a Medium-sized creature, but there is no doubt he could take a giant's sword quite easily. He looks at Celiss first and nods. He passes right over Wanderfar, ignores the dwarf, and his eyes rest on Darrius. He seems to study Darrius very acutely, looking curiously all about the man - probably at his aquatic-based colorations and markings.

    He lopes slowly over, no doubt with the party getting their weapons (or fists) ready for action with a beast nobody likely wants to tangle with and it opens its mouth - a rather human-like mouth that has a strong jaw and canines, but likely not enough to be offensive like its claws - and it .... speaks with a very thick accent.

    "Incarnate? Only incarnates have theft gloves."

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    After Vakrissa leaves Darrius shrugs his shoulders as he leans against the railing, his dark skin almost one with the night of the sea beyond, "If I knew we were going to have to be moving a boat I might have arranged for getting back to shore easily. Had I known, I probably could have done it myself. Then again, I hardly expected the day to turn out like this in the slightest."

    And then the 'feral gargun' emerges onto the deck.

    Darrius pulls himself for the rail and is almost ready to jump ship, rather than stay so close to such massive claws. However, it speaks, and it actually seems fairly insightful, though the amphibious man slips his hands behind his back when attention is drawn to his gloves. He blinks a few times before responding, "Eh... what? Well, what I mean is, how would you know about that?" His eyes flicker from their normal and fairly mundane blue to faintly glowing orbs with the whole sclera tinged a faint azure.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Law
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    He seems to smile (before he says anything) when Darrius looks to jump ship. In fact, it is very likely - especially as initimdating as this thing is - that Darrius withers a little and steps back under his approach and close eye.

    "I am Nae'etholi, son of Galaa ... but, I am Quickslayer to outlanders. I was my tribe's finest young warrior, but circumstances pressed me out into the world to wander. The gods of my land gifted me with spirit blessings of the great beasts - not only of the north - but in my travels of other fell things as well. Six months ago, I learned that I was to protect the son of Hleid; it was prophetic, for then a force ravaged the White Lands and the God-Son was forced into exile, whereupon I met the whelp. We travelled far south to the Hot Lands, but we were captured by the Great Lake and sent on ship with noisy animals to this - a land where the sun burns like a Crucible."

    Darrius
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither he, nor the timid animal-thing hiding partway in the hatch to the hold, have lawful auras of any kind. Since you're at it ... Celiss and Rabbi Cohen both have faint lawful auras.

    He continues, "You saved us, but to what end? The bald man meant to sell the animals to collectors, and the spider-thing we killed and myself and the boy to the arena handlers. He said I'd fetch a fine price as a 'monster' to be killed; too, the 'boy' was also unique, but would be killed in someone they favor for .... upward mobility, I think it was?

    "What I want to know .... is when people come here to take away the bald man and the women, what will happen to I and Korian, Hleid's Son? In other lands, we are 'monsters' and not given rights but to slavery and such. Must I gut you all as you stand here with your mouth agape, that Korian and I can escape? or do you have the means to speak on our behalf?"


    Celiss
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've only heard the name Hleid as referenced to gods of the North, but you know absolutely nothing beyond that .... alignment, portfolio, even depiction ... are all unknown to you.

    Rabbi Cohen says, "Monster, I do not doubt you mean it well, but I fear that you have been tricked, or seek to trick us as well.. That looks like no son of a god. Hleid is the Guardian of Cold Magic, and the Patron of Frostfell Animals. While this creature appears to be some sort of wolverine-humanoid - and as like a creature of the north - still I think someone attributed to much faith to this timorous creature."

    Celiss, it seems like Quickslayer means truth, but given he is so different from you, it is hard to tell. Besides, his believing this tale doesn't mean it to be true.

    Quickslayer shrugs his shoulders. "Still, I need to know now if you can vouch for me, or if I and my charge are to be taken as slaves and beasts."

    What says the party?

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss digs up whatever knowledge she has picked up on local laws considering...well, situations like this.

    I am not well acquainted with the laws of this place, but I will do what I can to assure that you and your charge are not taken as slaves.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If necessary:
    Know(local?)(1d20+4)[24]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Wow!!! Yeah, while you aren't familiar with this place, you have a pretty good idea that two legs and speech aren't quite enough unless 'protected' by patronage of another (usually a noble or wealthy person). Such a creature probably still doesn't have an acceptable level of rights.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He gives yet another exaggerated shrug, "I know not where you could go, but I would not allow you to be sold to the arena. The Sasserine Arena is a brutal place, and no one should have to fight there against their will. My family's compound would not be able to support you, lest you could breathe water, but the jungle is vast, and there are no doubt smaller islands about on which you could hide."
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "Once the poison is out of my system," he says, "I could, indeed, survive underwater if I bound a kraken mantle to my polar bear totem spirit. But I cannot protect the Son of Hleid underwater, unless ...."

    He seems to be thinking very sternly for an instant. "Most of the enemies of the Son seem to know of me more than the boy himself, who was raised in seclusion by his dame. That means any magical searches would find me. This means that to protect him, I must let him go. Despite your words, I do not doubt my fate - for I am large and monstrous and would cause fear - such that if not I will be enslaved or little better. A thane's protection could little stand for the likes of me in your land. But, if Korian - who is only an adolescent, barely a whelp - was 'owned ... and I mean that as an appearance ... then he can be spared, and even prosper. Even then, I have long been separated from my connection with the natural world in trying to protect my charge; I have never regretted the honor, but if someone else were to step forth and give an oath to protect him in my stead, he may learn what he needs to one day return to the Northlands to assume the duties his father asks of him.

    "But, if such a one exists among you, he should be urbane - to teach Korian what he must know about the civilized lands, to learn their ways, for 'civilized' ones are his enemies to the north; he should be good in teaching him battle, or at the very least see him well-trained - while he must be nurtured, still he must learn to be a great battle leader and not coddled; he must teach him focus and temperance - for his bloodline is nigh-suicidal in battle, a bloodlust that even he might not be able to quench without learning focus; he must also be able to understand the natural world - that Korian best understand his origins and his place in being the Son of the Protector of the Animals of the Frostfell; and finally, he must learn compassion - for such is Hleid compassionate to his charges, even when a bane and juggernaut to his enemies.

    "I have never truly learned the focus he needs. I do not understand pictured-sounds .... words and writing. I believe in the philosopy of red-in-tooth-and-claw, not compassion. My battle training is based on rage and bloodlust; but he will die early if he gives in to the bloodlust latent in his line, so must learn to be a 'learned warrior.' I was simply the only one available to save him from a worse fate, and bear respect - but not worship - for Hleid.

    "You have shown compassion, so I ask the whole of you .... will you take this honor, this obligation, this prestige, this curse, this joy ... from me? I do not believe that I can long protect him AND see him taught. My presence is danger to him. And so far removed from home, you worthies can train and teach him until he is ready to return home.

    "Will you do this? In return, if the incarnate gives me tokens of safe passage and friendship, I shall bide my time awhile with his people, and hunt on what unclaimed lands I find - or even in the Great Lake itself. And, when needed, you may call upon me for aid or advice, as best as I can give."

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He seems almost at a loss for words for a moment, and fairly confused, "I- ... we would not know where to begin. I cannot conceive of caring for a child, much less one destined for greatness by the gods themselves. How can we be expected to give him a proper education if we know nothing about him or his ways?" He glances to the others to see if they have input on the matter.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "I told you what he must learn ... are you so bound by customs that you worry about others' 'ways'?" says Quickslayer.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-01-22 at 07:39 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    My comrade is merely concerned about his ability to provide education-it could be, that due to inaccurate communications on the part of either party, we apply a method of teaching that will not produce intended results. As such, it is necessary that we clearly define what is and what is not "focus and temperance" or some other thing.

    There are many cultures in this world, far too many to familiarize oneself with completely. As such, it's best to define what sort of goals, needs, etc. one needs before beginning a kind of long-term education-which is what you seem to be asking us to provide your charge. If a problem can be solved via correct application of communication skills before it becomes more difficult to deal with, it is always best to do so. Proper communication is key in any sort of planning, and if it is for an important task it becomes even more important, as conflicting definitions or goals can cause severe damage to such an effort, or even make it impossible to see through.

    In addition to communication issues regarding the goals of the education, there may also be problems with other things. For example, what would be the best diet for Korian? It seems as if you are probably capable of consuming the same things as humans are-however, if you are like, say, cats, chocolate may be poisonous. We don't want to accidentally poison the boy every other meal, so we'll need more detailed information in that regard.

    Which reminds me, do you have the same sort of sleep schedule as we do? If you are nocturnal-or diurnal, whatever the case may be-then it would probably be best for us to know so now, so that we do not run into issues later.

    Additionally, it could be problematic if there are specific illnesses that Korian has not been exposed to, if you have come from far away. I would recommend a full examination-oh! I almost forgot, if he has a reaction to a specific spice, plant, etc. we need to know that as well, so that we can avoid it-speaking of which, it would be nice to have some more information about the culture in which he has been raised until this point. The purpose for this information would be threefold: it could aid us in his education later, allow us to pinpoint possible enemies better-if we can find any information on where you come from-and increase our own understanding of the boy's psychology.

    Which brings me to the next point. If the boy has any specific mental handicaps or phobias or the like, it would be good to know so. Also, a general rundown on unusual versus unusual behavior could be useful, to allow us to tell if Korian is sick, unhappy or the like. Additionally, his preferred method of learning could be vital to allowing us to educate him properly-it would be a great waste of time and effort if we were to attempt to teach him in a way that is contrary to what he prefers.

    I remember mentioning sleep patterns earlier, but I believe I forgot to ask what kind of time he would require to rest-would he need less or more time than a human? Does this increase or decrease when he is ill, distressed, etc.?

    It would also be helpful to know if Korian has had any especially traumatic experiences in the past, and the preferred approach-should we avoid them or explore their cause?

    Also, you mention leadership training. Should we focus on tactics, strategy, group or nation leadership? Is there political intrigue that he needs to be capable of navigating, should he be well skilled in understanding minute social clues or is a mastery of strategy-yes, that rhymes, I know-all he requires?

    It would be good if you could answer all of these questions, in print if possible-if you cannot write or only in another language I can aid you-so that we may access the information at any time. It won't do us much good to know if he can eat a specific food if we forget it anyways, now will it?


    If Celiss had glasses, she could use one hand to raise them slightly in a very scholarly fashion. Already she was considering the future, along with other possibilities...With access to her family's vault, perhaps the group's benefactor could be of aid to Quickslayer? If she could provide the protection required to attain full rights, then he may be able to check in on and aid in the education of his young charge more often...
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-01-25 at 02:52 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Quickslayer seems waaaayyyy overwhelmed by Celiss' vast ramblings, and doesn't know how to respond.

    Vakrissa flies in just at this time, and is hesitant when she sees the gray giant, but Rabbi Cohen - still not sure about this strange event, fills her in on things. He condenses it rather well, but with content. This includes an introduction ... for the which she stays up at a height in the rigging, still unsure about the gargun.

    Vakrissa, understanding their plight now, says, "The Watch will be here in just a couple minutes now. There is nothing - absolutely nothing you can do, Quickslayer, concerning you. They will see you as a threat and a monster, and all of the well-meaning nature of Celiss ... who isn't even a citizen of this town, will do nothing but cause Celiss grief."

    Rabbi Cohen nods and says, "She is correct. The law will not protect you. And Celiss, your words will do nothing. My words will do nothing. Lady Lavinia's words will do nothing. He will be perceived as a dangerous threat; run out of town at best, likely made to fight in the arena, and killed on sight at a still-likely worst. However, if someone here took the youth as an exotic slave, at least in appearance ... even though he's bigger than he looks .... there is a pretty good chance I can argue that. But Quickslayer is too big and dangerous; there's no way he'll be protected.

    "For my part, I can help in his education. But he is too big and wild, I think, for me to deal with. And other than basic learning and, I hope, compassion I don't believe that there is much I can do. This and my duties to Lady Lavinia are too many. At least, I hope they will be. For her part, please don't suggest she take him on ... he might receive some protection, but she is far too young to have a ward."


    Vakrissa says to the youth, "I live in Sunrise District. While this youth has a connection to a god of animals in the north, from what Rabbi Cohen tells me, still I see that what is asked is best served in the city among the rest. I consider the parks and wilds around Sunrise my ward, and will not show favoritism for a single creature for someone else's sake."

    The youth ambles out of the entrance of the hold. The group can actually see him well for the first time. He is definitely primarily humanoid in form. He is covered head to toe with thick brown fur. He has a sort of mask around his eyes, of a lighter tan fur. This same tan coloring is found in two parallel stripes running down his back. Even more severely than Quickslayer, Korian doesn't just slouch but rather moves in a balled up fashion such that he only comes in at just over 4 feet clearance off the deck, moving on all fours. However, you can tell that he actually is tall enough to be well over 5 feet should he fully stand and extend to full height. The fur is such that you can't really see musculature, but from his movements he appears to be slender and solid. However, his back is particularly pronounced ... you'd think it was a humpback, if it didn't seem so fitting for the animal portion of his form.

    His claws are quite sharp looking, even scoring scratches in the deck. They are also somewhat curved, which seems to be as functional as they look deadly; they probably dig in and help him climb. He has a sort of wedge-shaped head that becomes wider at the back of the skull, and his teeth definitely show a wicked set of teeth - they look decent now, but not too bad - but if he has more growing to do, they might just become downright monstrous. Like the gargun, he is also naked - having been treated as more of an animal. His eyes are amber. They do not betray anything more than pure savagery; in fact, everything about him speaks of far more of a bestial spirit than just his appearance ... except that he speaks ...

    "I speak now," he says in a bari-tenor pitch with a growl. At first, it seems that the growl is angry until you realize that it simply is part of his voice. "Thanks, Nae'etholi, but you are right. I hope you that we can see each other again, but your part in this story is done. May the gods give you peace, even if it is the peace of the glory of battle."

    He looks at the rest of you, from face to face to face, sniffing the air as he does. He looks at the Rabbi first. "You are weak, dwarf. You have no battle training for me. But you are learned and kind, and I hope you teach me these things."

    He then looks up at Vakrissa. "Shaman, I am not for you, as you say. But, I would hope you teach me about the world beyond the houses of Men, that I may know respect for that world ... for I am to be Prince Among the Frostfell Beasts."

    He looks at Darrius. "You are alien, and I do not know what you could teach me, but to put teeth to task to work with those whom one doesn't understand but share a goal."

    He looks at Celiss. "Your talk and learning are pompous. You are stuffy and too involved in the world of Men. You trust too much in your witchery. You thought I was a beast until I spoke, but would've thought the same of Quickslayer; I know the needs of my body better than he. You are narrow-sighted and narrow-minded. But to your great credit, I did see you in glorious combat against the spider-beast, even if you did not notice me. I want to learn to hone my senses and body to move before thinking like you do."

    Finally, his gaze settles upon Wanderfar. "You are, without doubt, the finest warrior here. A look at you, and you may yet come close to strength to compare to Quickslayer. Your move is of a warrior bred and true. You carry a warrior's weapon, so I know you can teach me battle. You wear a priestly trinket, and a pouch that smells like a medicine bundle, so I think you are a priest; this means you are wise. You do not seem beyond responsibility like the man-fish, nor as stuffy as the woman, but have kind eyes. You can teach me how to live to fight evil, without selfishness nor the silly points of honor of stuffy Men in castles.

    "In fact, I have the most to learn from you. I should have this much say in my fate. Priest, I put my life and well-being in your hands. If you trust in my loyalty, I shall trust in yours and your obligation to see to my future. So, will you be my Foster Father, my Guide, my Mentor, and - especially to the outside world - my Master?"


    Corrin "Wanderfar" Denomar, if this thing is what it says it is, it is the son of a Northern God. Do you take on this task it asks of you?

    Darrius, you see the watch approaching with longboats and lanterns. If you are going to carve some token in a piece of wood that Quickslayer can take with him for sanctuary with your people ... now is the time.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-01-26 at 03:38 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    Grumbling to himself, the dark-skinned man glanced about and finds a bit of wood, whether by picking up a broken bit of something, charring free a wooden peg with his acid, or just carving something out of the boat itself with his dagger. He works at the chunk to make some semblance of a token and then hands it over, along with his swimming goggles, "Its the best I can do. Take this to them, along with my goggles. My name is Darrius of the Wavebreaker clan, the coral compound we live in is just up the coast, so it shouldn't be hard to find. If either of my brothers, Eemel and Marriton, are at home they should be near the entrance, no doubt lounging about."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Craft? (1d20+3)[21]

    He pretty much always wears the goggles, so they should be fairly recognizable. >.>
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss raises her eyebrows slightly. I find it interesting that you are ready to make such conclusions after a mere minute or so of interaction. However, I do think that your observations and the way you state them-as well as your assumptions-will tell me more about you than I might otherwise know.

    After a moment, one corner of her mouth twitches into the beginnings of a one-sided smile. I was about to go into a speech about the interactions of magic and physiology, but I think that that can wait-for now, we don't even know if you'll be joining us. Quite an eclectic batch of tutors you'll have if you do, though. Celiss notes, glancing around at her companions.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Tacitus speaks as above.

    Quickslayer puts on the goggles, which have to stretch some to accommodate him, and he takes the wooden piece. "Thank you. I'll swim to some hollow on the coast until morning when I should be able to ask the spirits for protection in the water. Goodbye, Prince. I'll check in on you."

    "Ahoy, Nixie!" comes a shout from the starboard side. "Two longboats to come aside. Make sure your Jacob's ladder is steady!"

    Quickslayer crouches, nods again to Darrius, then slinks over the port side .... but makes a huge splash nonetheless. (Stealth is not a strong point.)

    Celiss speaks as the longboats pulls alongside and the watch comes up, supported by Vakrissa, who steadies the ropes for the ladder.

    Korian, already crouching anyway, crouches at Wanderfar's feet. Still waiting to see if Wanderfar says anything.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Denomar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Slightly unnerved at the large creature, Wanderfar gently brushes the hilt of his bastard sword self consciously.

    "So, the son of a god eh? Do you feel better than us? Oh, your speech is pretty florid for a walking beast, but I still see the pride behind those eyes."

    His voice is quiet, and tinged with cruelty. Wanderfar steps up to Korian and stares him right in the eyes.

    "Well?"
    Last edited by Denomar; 2011-01-26 at 11:16 AM.
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Denomar would have to crouch to see into his eyes well, but Korian understands the gaze and - with some trouble - tries to stand to full erect height. He is about three inches shorter than Wanderfar, and Wanderfar probably has a good ten pounds on him .... though the priest is possessed of fantastic strength.

    "We are all sons and daughters of gods, and Quickslayer made more of this than I simply state that I was raised to be a Prince in the North," says Korian. "I feel not better, but worse, for without training I will never overcome my blood-curse - the curse that robs people and animals of my form with lack of discretion in battle. For all of my 'red' speech, I am yet a monster if I am but scratched in passing by a five-year-old boy with a stick. That is the nature of my curse.

    "But you do see pride. For all of us have our burden, and unlike my kinsmen, what training I have received is my attempt to rise above my nature, rather than to embrace it and descend into mindless rage."


    Wanderfar, you sense that his desire to overcome this 'blood-curse' is genuine. Whether he seeks this out of simple aesthetic mastery, or out of compassion, however, is left to your judgement.

    The soldiers are climbing the Jacob's ladder and will be onboard in seconds ....

    Wanderfar?

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Denomar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "Good. The first step on the path of the sublime way is humility. You're smart I give you that. But as the lord of horizons once said. 'to climb the tallest mountain, and stand as a god before all, I first must walk as a man.'"

    He then goes to stand beside the rest of the party.
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •