Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 900 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    The following is a slight amendment of what was said before, excepting questions Celiss or Ka'Xet may have had. It actually would have been several, several months since last contact.

    Lavinia leaves and comes back with maps, sea charts, and a large journal that Celiss and Darrius recognize as the one they recovered from the family vault early in their adventures.

    "Do you recall this journal you recovered from my family vault? It turns out that it was my mother's. My parents, may the gods rest their souls, were brave - foolish and rash some would say, but I have never been one to criticize an adventurous spirit. On the contrary--" she casts a wry smile at you all. "I admire it. In any event, it would seem that about four years ago, my mother and father undertook a risky endeavor. They sailed the Blue Nixie, along with a ship full of colonists, down south and across the Vohouth Ocean to a place they refer to as the Isle of Dread.

    "You may have heard of this place - if you haven't, it seems apparent from reading my mother's journal that the place is aptly named. A jungle-covered hell infested with immense reptilian monsters, feral savages, and peril at every turn. Yet the southern peninsula remains relatively sheltered from the menaces on the isle mainland, and it was here, among the villages of several friendly locals, that my parents founded the colony of Farshore.

    "The Isle of Dread represents an untapped trove of resources - exotic lumber, spices, animals, foods, and even minerals like silver and gold. Once Farshore was up and running, the influx of trade would have guaranteed my family a relatively uncontested flow of wealth. Yet before mother and father were able to return to Farshore with supplies and more colonists ... my brother made his move and left me in the state you found me in a few short weeks ago."


    Lavinia indicates her mother's journal. "Since we recovered this journal, I have not been idle. If Farshore fails, then my parents' legacy falls. I intend to carry on their work, and have planned a journey south to the Isle of Dread to resupply and join the colonists at Farshore the rest of the year. I have the new Blue Nixie readying in the harbor to take fresh supplies to the colony, but I find myself a vessel short."

    Lavinia's face breaks into a glow as she continues, "You wouldn't know of anyone with stout hearts who might happen to be interested in helping me mount this expedition, do you? I fear the journey itself might grow dangerous at times, and there's no way of knowing what state or condition Farshore is currently in, but I suspect danger is a vice you have."

    Celiss and Lazer readily agree.

    Ka'Xet sees that there are maps and sea charts aplenty, definitely enough for him to navigate. As far as all of his other questions, they are way too detailed to be effectively answered. Honestly, though, he realizes that is way more than he could've hoped to have. Does he wish to go? I mean, for a "travel" expert, can he really do better than this?

    Darrius, in recommending on trying to contact Korian and see if he'll accept this mission, which takes him out of the city, effectively agrees to join the voyage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Almost missed your edit. Because of this amendment, Lavinia would not suggest the Seekers. If she mentions this voyage or it gets out, you may have competitors with which to deal. Once the mission is successful and you return (hopefully), then it would be great to contact the Seekers and give a debriefing.
    Then, there's the issue (on last post) of Korian, to the which Darrius agrees Korian would be valuable, and suggests Ka'Xet, who has more contacts with the Crystal Wardens, be the one to try to convince Korian to come.

    Lazer isn't so sure about Korian, but with his lady's urging, he recognizes that he's the only front-line warrior. Celiss is an amazing combatant, true, but her best employment is in-and-out of the enemy line (Mobility). To that end, Lavinia, Lazer, and Darrius have agreed on Korian's inclusion ... if he can even be persuaded. Unless Ka'Xet balks, it's up to him to find Korian.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-04 at 01:56 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    It would be stunning if Ka'Xet - travel bubba that he is - didn't want to go .... that, and this adventure would have a spinoff TV show for Ka'Xet in a solo adventure. So my question still stands more for any RP answer he may have.

    In the same vein, as a protector of Lavinia who receives an amazing stipend from her and is dedicated to protecting her ...

    Either way, Ka'Xet will be sent to try to track down Korian.

    The meeting adjourns and Lavinia mentions she will start making preparations with hiring the crew and setting up for the voyage. She tells you to hold off before going to Kraken's Cove to look for a ship until she can get some manner of crew together to go with you to be able to sail a ship back.

    Flocktime 15 (Starday): Full moon.

    Darrius researches into his heritage, to see if he can find anything more. He spends all day in VL since Lavinia's mother (more the explorer type and a Seeker) developed an outstanding collection of various research. Darrius doesn't have enough standing with the Seekers to use their facilities, but he asks Celiss to see what she can find on her end.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tacitus, I'm pretty sure you learned something about it some time ago. In fact, I'm darn sure about that. I'll leave it to you to do your homework and to look back in the posts.

    Celiss, there just is no way you can narrow anything down on Darrius' heritage. You know that he has aspects of both the land of shadows and a dragon of the underdark, but you have no knowledge of the latter and little knowledge of the former. Your research is exhausting and frustrating. Of course, good research can take more time than that, but you know you don't have the baseline knowledge of things in the Underdark to really make it worthwhile. Ka'Xet would have to be the expert brought in on that. No guests are allowed to peruse the library in the Witchwarden tower .... PERIOD. (Sorry, folks, but no "PC glow.")

    Being her research project, it would also be her job to research any spells that might fit the bill for divinations that would help. (In other words, the player would have to look through the books to see what wizard spells might help. THEN, you would have to pass it by me to see if you - with your outstanding Spellcraft - would know about. The more rare the spell, the higher the DC.) She knows that actually communing with dangerous beings from the outer worlds could work, but usually they are just too cryptic for such specific information, and it would an extremely expensive spell that is possibly dangerous for the caster .... making that even more expensive.

    Ka'Xet sets out into the jungle to find Korian. The xeph knows that Korian has a modicum of swimming skill, but seems to be part of a stock of anthropomorphic animal (for you know that is what he is .... an anthropomorphic creature from the wintry north, a humanoid with animal traits) that is not given to sludging through swampy water. Besides, his incredible physical skill is better suited to the mixed forest/jungle, so after trying to check in with the Crystal Wardens, that is where he begins.

    He checks in with Quickslayer, the latter whom has heard of his former charge hunting and staking out a small territory farther into the jungle. Quickslayer is busy and cannot come, but gives you an idea of where to go. Since it would be some travel, and because he won't get training once he leaves, Ka'Xet spends the entire day learning lore from the druids, possibly trying to get some information on anything to the islands far south.

    Lazer is known to have some basic seamanship skills as a moderately skilled shipwright, but he goes to the Academy for the day for advanced maritime training.

    Flocktime 16 (Sunday): Darrius heads to the Crystal Wardens, as he's not likely to find anything (right now) with any source he needs. And Celiss, for all of her brilliant arcane and planar knowledge, really doesn't have the background to know what to look for at Witchwarden Tower. (Ka'Xet headed out that morning, so they miss each other.) The elders mention other draconic soulmelds that are are far more difficult to learn than normal (i.e., they cost a feat). But they aren't really sure what they are, exactly. The ones that even think about it have wildly varying descriptions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, you can "research" .... but what you'd be researching are the soulmelds that you found on the Wizards boards. You will not homebrew.
    Since you are there, you might as well take advantage of their training before you can't anymore, and you spend the entire day learning about incarnum usage, including the talks about how incarnum might be used to draconic effect (which consists more of listening to some of the elders arguing about what is or is not possible).

    Ka'Xet finds Korian easily enough, seeing the manimal cavorting about playfully under the canonpy. But this playfulness is offset by the fact that a half-eaten tapir lies about 10 yards from the hunter. It has been mauled in the same way as one would expect of a wild animal, with little regard for any "civilized" manner. Despite the xeph's capable stealth, Korian's nose is infallible and he easily picks up the xeph's scent. Even though his eyesight and hearing are already better than Ka'Xet's stealth, the xeph realizes that a creature with scent is hard to surprise .... maybe he'll find a way around that later. Hmmmm ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to flashback RP if you'd like.
    Korian still is cogent enough to say, "To hunt in distant lands? Though I am from far north, I like the idea of feasting on things to the far south. The opportunity for great battle is greater than here. I shall fight in the arena this Freeday, and then I'll return to the Manor with you after the fight. For the rest of this week, though, my time is my own here in the jungle. Leave me now, though, that I may enjoy my time alone."

    Well, alright then. That's that, and Ka'Xet can understand .... maybe not sympathize, but he can understand. He returns to the manor to report.

    Lazer continues studying at the academy, this time training in common sailor superstitions and fears, and how to overcome them, with an afternoon of more sailing courses.

    Celiss has spent a lot of her time in more academic pursuits, so she returns to a combination of agility kata and body-hardening exercises for the day. Just because she is a wizard doesn't mean she should atrophy into a bookworm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss, amazingly, probably because of your exotic looks, proven alliance, and overall skill .... that and he really admires your focus and discipline, Tolin Kientai of the Jade Ravens seems to be making romantic overtures towards her!

    Does she try to get to know him a little better to see if he's worth a damn? He's a little bit of a blowhard and a show-off, but that doesn't make him a bad guy, and the Jade Ravens made a fine showing against the bullywugs before they were eventually captured.

    He's 6'4", 177 lbs (tall and very lean), handsome, and quite bright .... but far below your intellect, despite being exceptionally bright for the normal folks. He's all-around physically fit, and specializes in two-weapon short-sword combat.

    Flocktime 17 (Moonday): Lazer spends the morning at the academy to get a feeling for common sea-based magical spells and the best way to circumvent them in opponents. More maritime training in the afternoon.

    Darrius tries to find some information in the VL on Darrius Cross, but that is too individual a person to try to find. In the afternoon, he learns more martial history, even asking about that name there to no avail.

    Ka'Xet heads to the CWs to learn battle focus training for his psionics, as well as more psionic lore.

    Celiss studies arcana at the Witchwardens in the morning, and then in the afternoon she begins to study the effects of time on spells, and how to extend them.

    Flocktime 18 (Godsday): Ka'Xet continues sentinel training and is the hunter for various rabbit games with the CW. In the afternoon is meditation and prayer to Fharlanghn, but out in the wild.

    Darrius attends services at the Azure Cathedral. In the afternoon, he looks around and finds he could easily pick up a cloak of resistance +1 for 1,000 gp, or an amulet of natural armor +1 for about 2,000 gp.

    What does he want to do?

    At home, Celiss begins to conduct her own thesis (in the VL) work on time-related functions of spells. She falls asleep, and has disturbing dreams about her being able to subjugate people, making them listen to her and follow her whims.

    Flocktime 19 (Waterday): Darrius works all day with ZH at the Arena.

    At the Academy, Lazer gets training on various aquatic poisons and toxins, an how best to attend to them. In the afternoon is leadership training for ship's officers.

    Celiss is tutored at WT on arcane channeling to increase the power she might be able to yield. It is an all-day affair, and mentally and physically exhausting.

    Ka'Xet continues battle focus training with CW, and Quickslayer puts him through a rigorous physical regimen in the afternoon.

    Flocktime 20 (Earthday): Celiss spends the day studying history in the VL. She is noticing even more and more that the scales are becoming a little more pronounced with each passing day, and stiffer.

    All day professional maritime intensive for Lazer.

    Ka'Xet and Darrius play rabbit games in the morning, and in the afternoon Ka'Xet tutors Darrius with centering exercises.

    Flocktime 21 (Freeday): That morning, Darrius goes through some Shadow Hand training, but then goes to do nasty chores in preparation for the games that late afternoon (including his own fight).

    Ka'Xet spends the morning with the CW to discuss shaping of his mindblade. Korian comes in, and the two return to Sasserine. Ka'Xet recognizes that Korian sometimes unconsciously scratches at trees ... either to mark them, or to pare down his claws like some animals. Speaking of which, his claws are starting to get larger and thicker.

    Celiss spends the morning in VL attempting to see how time affects light, and if the manipulation of time and light can allow for a false image of where she is to an opponent. Meanwhile, Lazer is in the library with her. Disturbing to her, however, is that he is beginning an intensive study of Things That Should Not Be.

    The afternoon comes, and it is time for the troops to come out to support Darrius and Korian. Lady Lavinia, noble patroness for both (yes, technically even Korian), joins them and they are her escort as the Jade Ravens guard the manor.

    Darrius got an unfair fight. He fought one of the arena champions and was thoroughly trounced. He was totally unprepared for the gladiator. Darrius is now 0-2.

    Korian, likewise, was given a very difficult fight with one of the up-and-coming challengers to the title. It seems like this warrior-woman has the upper hand, but Korian makes a lucky maneuver that has her reeling. He burrows into the ground and then comes up from underneath her. He then proceeds to beat on her mercilessly. He has to be pulled off of her, as he starts to give in and caused several bad wounds that were more deadly than not. The crowd is silent for several seconds in horror at Korian's wild display. In anger at himself and his loss of control, and his embarrassment, Korian lashes out by howling at the crowd.

    Which, surprisingly, is taken the wrong way ..... the crowd goes nuts, cheering. They mistook his howl as a type of victory roar, and the bloodsport that the crowd witnessed was not what they were used to seeing. Korian is now 2-0. Still just a pit boy that got lucky, but he's considered on the rise. On the other hand, he may well have just set a dangerous precedent by opening up a public consciousness to more viscious gladiatorial combat.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #873
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    The party returns from a late afternoon out at a fine establishment, but come across the following scene ...

    A low stone wall sits at the end of this earthen back alley. Before it lies the body of a dead warrior, garbed in a thick bodysuit of jet-black chainmail. A small crowd gawks from the alley's edge, but none have the courage to enter.

    Lavinia (who partied with the PCs) says, "Well, let's not stand around. Let's take a look. Doctor Cohen and Ka'Xet, check the body. Darrius and Celiss, check the scene. Korian, see if you can sniff anything out."

    Darrius (with Celiss' help), you determine that the area around the body is scuffed with signs of a careening, complex duel. Aside from his armor, clothing, and empty scabbard, the dead man has no possessions whatsoever.

    Lazer (with Ka'Xet's help), note that the corpse has a series of razor-thin wounds, as from a sharp, skinny blade, but none of them appear deep enough to be life-threatening.

    The corpse has lost a lot of blood, possibly causing his death, but there's very little blood in the alley. Lazer admits, "I'm accounted a very good doctor and forensic expert .... but this is confounding and well outside my experience. Something supernatural or magical definitely did this."

    After 5 minutes of investigation, a young and nervous watchman arrives, Ghaultin Valk. When Lavinia says she's willing to give over the investigation to him, he is ooooonly to happy to have folks of your caliber on the case. Lavinia says, "I'm sure we can look into it, but please be available so I can send you any notes."

    Meanwhile, Korian has sniffed all around the area and moves towards the crowd. He finally stands tall before a beggar. "Your scent is all over the dead man."

    "I witnessed the whole thing," he says. "But this is terrible. I spent so much time here when I could've been begging. Perhaps if you give me some coin, I might account this a good day for---"

    "Perhaps if I gut you with my claws, I can accout this a good day for eating for --"

    "WHOA!" calls Lavinia. "Whoa-whoa-whoa. No gutting. No claws. Down boy. Down.

    "Sir, I'll give you a platinum for your troubles.


    The man excitedly removes all thoughts of danger and the nearness of death and comes bounding next to Lavinia eagerly, but humble and bowing low. "There were two of them: the dead guy and a woman with a skinny, jeweled sword. the dead one had a shorter, silver blade. Their swords were moving so fast it was hard to even watch. In the end, it looked like she barely touched him - just tapped him in the side with her sword and he staggered. But before he fell, he stumbled over to that well and dropped his sword in it. That seemed to anger the woman, who finished him off with a stab to the back. She looked like she was getting to jump in the well herself, to go after the sword, I guess, but then she noticed the crowd that was coming to investigate and ran off, heading east through that alley."

    Celiss and Korian both seem to sense that something is amiss in his story, but Korian spots him first as he is being sniffed over while he talks. "Seems you have a fine and heavy purse on you that has the dead man's scent all over it ... much moreso than your own."

    Caught, the beggar doesn't even try to lie. "I took the 17 gold and his purse for myself."

    Lavinia asks, "What is your name?"

    "Rohanis, M'Lady."

    "Rohanis, thank you for all of your help. Perhaps that platinum will help you sooner than you think.

    "Watchman Valk, please place Rohanis under arrest for the looting of a corpse."


    The watchman calls over two city guards that had accompanied him, and they cart him off as he sputters in confusion and anger. The purse is handed over to Valk to inventory in case the dead man can be identified and his family located.

    Watchman Valk asks, "Begging your pardon, Lady Vanderboren, but perhaps your people can retrieve the sword from the well?"

    Lavinia nods and says, "Right. Darrius, in you go."

    Darrius finds the well really isn't difficult to get in and out of .... deep for anyone else, but simple for him. And the level of the well makes it easy to climb out. He easily spots a silvery short sword and brings it up. As the sword is in his hands, he easily senses its power.

    As soon as the sword comes up from the water, the sword begins to talk. "My name is Sabrehawk. My wielder was tracking an evil Cabanite agent back to her lair, where I believe one of my missing comrades has been taken prisoner. Unfortunately, our quarry figured out that she was being followed and turned the tables with a sudden ambush. During the ensuing duel, our opponent revealed her intention to entomb the captured sword forever in the bowels of Featherwhisper's bathhouse, an exotic spa in the Noble District. Worse, she said the internment would be complete 'before the sun sets.'"

    "You, dark-scaled warrior who rescued me from the well's deep, I invite you to wield me in glory, for I sense that our spirits are like one."


    Sabrehawk describes his powers and abilities without hesitation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    +1 silver speed short sword
    AL N
    Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Speech (Common)
    120' vision and hearing
    clairvoyance 1/day (sight version only)
    +10 Spot checks (so +12 total)
    EGO 10

    Sabrehawk always appears perfectly polished. When attacking, the slice of his arc leaves a shining razor-thin trail that lingers in the air for several seconds.
    "My captured comrade is also a weapon of considerable power and that, should my brother survive whatever the Cabanites have in store for them, he too will be seeking a new wielder.

    "Will you help me ... will you help us?"


    Well? Lavinia looks at the rest of you to see if you want to become embroiled in whatever is going on.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-05 at 05:01 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #874
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    The britva's a right cutter. When you gooly the Great Road, you blow with the cheese.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The blade is a worthwhile companion. When you travel the Planes or go adventuring, you go where the wind takes you.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  5. - Top - End - #875
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Lazer says, "Well, we already have one death, so it's worth looking into."

    Korian retorts, "Talking blades? The talking of the blade should be its wielder, not a sword itself. Pretty soon a thinking sword will demand. City problems. I say pass."

    That's 2-1 for the mission (Lavinia abstains from a vote). Darrius? Celiss?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius takes a moment to confirm the sword's claim as being Neutral, or at least not Evil, and also covers the previous wielder, though he doubts anything would be lingering after death. He also takes a moment to think, trying to see if he can recall anything about 'Cabanites' (as the player can't XD).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Darrius is 0-2? I thought he won a match. Mmmm... Flocktime 14? Also, do we (arena gladiators, that is) get any advance notice of who our opponent will be? If so, I'd be sorely tempted to tailor soulmelds to the opponent. >.>


    Darrius nods at Korian's words, "I've not been exposed to any talking blades before, but if you are indeed as intelligent as a man, I have doubts. Cellis, your thoughts?"
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  7. - Top - End - #877
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius
    Spoiler
    Show
    My bad, you're right. Sorry. Darrius' record is 1-2.

    For upper-level combatants, yes they have forewarning to advertise. For grubby little pit boys such as yourself? No such luck. You wanna fight? You draw lots. Sometimes Arena Champions and ranked Gladiators throw lots into the bucket because they feel like "slumming it" or want to keep in shape for a more important match, later.

    You slyly use your rarely-used incarnate power of detecting evil in other people, and in this first time use, objects. You sense no evil in this object, however. There is no lingering aura of any other type, which you figure makes sense since the sentience of the sword would provide only it's own.

    Also, you have never heard of a Cabanite before.

    "Please," Sabrehawk pleads, "my last wielder, Taoc Serai, was a soldier in a secret war dedicated to rooting out Cabanite infestations. We have not much time before sunset and inaction dooms a worthy weapon to unspeakable horror."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-06 at 01:09 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #878
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss considers the situation. "Well, it's not like we have anything of similar importance to consider, and a sentient weapon is enough like a person that I don't want to think of leaving it to be buried alive, so to speak,"" she says. "I'm in,"
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  9. - Top - End - #879
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    That seals it, the investigation is on! (And perhaps some much-needed XPs before beginning the voyage to Kraken Cove and beyond.)

    Sabrehawk directs the party to Featherwhisper's bathhouse, imploring them to take them there as quickly as possible.

    FEATHERWHISPER'S BATHHOUSE

    This is an opulent spa in Sasserine's Noble District. The fresh mud baths pamper the idle rich.

    GENERAL FEATURES

    From the outside, Featherwhisper's could not look less like a hideout: the front double-doors are inviting, and several rooms have large windows with open shutters. Inside, the spa is well lit by continual flame spells unobtrusively outlining the ceiling. A permanent ghost sound plays soft music throughout the complex. Lavinia has been here before to enjoy this place. Very possibly, so have the PCs (but not Lazer or Korian).

    Front Foyer
    Hanging vines and bronze sculptures of nude figures fill this opulet foyer. An oak counter bars the way to the hall beyond.

    An attractive young woman perks up and says, "Good evening, Lady Vanderboren. We're closing in an hour, just long enough for you to enjoy a massage. What an ... interesting group you have with you."
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you think about it, the only pure human here is Lavinia. You have an infernal scion, a dark draconic human, a flying dwarf with celestial background, a xeph, and a wolverine-man.

    "Six for treatment, please."

    "At nine silver a piece that will be 56 silver pieces, Lady Vanderboren."

    Lavinia hands over seven gold, and motions for her to keep the change.

    "You are thoughtful as always, my lady. Anyway, males go in through that door, and females in through that one. "

    "How are things, Jasalia? Is business going well?"

    "I will be in personally for your massage, Lady Vanderboren, for your kindness. Lady and gentlemen, I need to remind you that the mudroom is temporarily unavailable while it undergoes renovation."

    Change Rooms
    Celiss and Lavinia go into the female's change room, while the males go into theirs. Rows of low, padded benches line the marble floor here, and mahogany wardrobes for the private storage of belongings border the walls. Each of these rooms contain a row of pristinely kept privies. The staff apparently replenishes depots of fresh towels throughout these rooms at all times.

    Women's Room: Lavinia says, "Mudroom undergoing restoration, huh? Sounds to me like a good place to start. If we weren't under such a time crunch, I'd say we should strip down and towel up so as not to scare the patrons. But it seems we need to move quickly."

    Men's Room: Lazer says, "I could tell by little tics she had, that Jasalia seems to have some enchantment on her. What it is I can't tell. I tried to use my celestial power to dispel it, but now I don't know if it worked or not. If it was a clever hypnotism, it may be hard to detect and Jasalia probably doesn't know if it is (or was) there. I don't think she knows to belabour the point, and I can only summon the ability to dispel magic once a day."

    All of the men are clever enough to figure that this renovated mudroom is probably the place to go.
    ............................................

    The men come out of their changing room to see the girls at the first door near the men's room. Lazer mentions what he thinks he noticed. Lavinia leads the way.

    Steam Room
    Large, triangular ceramic flagstones cover the floor of this room, each carefully fitted around the lip of a tranquil bathing pool. Gentle columns of steam rise from four hanging braziers of heated rocks as carefully measured drips of water fall on them.

    Three attractive females are bathing there, and are shocked by the party's sudden entrance, seeing as the composition are seem to be particularly non-human and armed to the teeth. "What are you doing?"

    "Daggers ... hidden!" says Korian, and Ka'Xet and Eliezer see them as well, each within easy reach under a towel or below the lip of the pool.

    "Death to the Cabanite assassins!" yells Sabrehawk.

    The party is NOT considered to be carrying weapons at this time. That would really have scared the beejeezus out of honest patrons.

    R1T22: Lazer draws the charm person wand and points it at one of the women. "Now, now. No horseplay in the pool."

    The woman he pointed it at seems shrug it off easily.

    R1T21.9: Celiss, these woman haven't actually done anything hostile, and very well may have been surprised while resting, carrying daggers (which you don't even see, unless you trust Korian) for personal defense for their trip to and from the bathhouse in the Noble District, or what-have-you. Lazer started out with a nonlethal attack.

    What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-06 at 05:20 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #880
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss feels the urge to scatter the women - the power to do so is at her fingertips, resting in her blood. Even if they were of strong wills, she knows that she could bring fear to them. She breathes deeply, forcing the strange emotion aside and preparing for battle. She doesn't want to fight, but if it's necessary she won't have given an opening to the 'Cabanite assassins'.

    "We're sorry to barge in like this," Celiss begins, thinking back to what Lazer had been telling her. It had gotten easier and harder to understand people - there were more 'normal' people to be around, but her transformation made the distance between them and her wider than it had been before. "There's something we're here to deal with that doesn't concern you. Just stay here, it'll be fine," she says. Even as the words leave her mouth the mage wonders if they were even worth the breath they were uttered in. If they really were Cabanites, they would still fight them and if they weren't...well, that didn't seem entirely likely.

    Celiss waits to see their response - if they pull out daggers, she'll unleash the infernal power that her blood carries.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trying Diplomacy, I guess. (1d20+6)[7] ...Ok, I guess that failed. To be honest, the dialogue is pretty shoddy, so I guess it fits.

    Then I'll ready an action: if the women pull knives, use Fear. Wait to see if there really are knives, so that I don't end up going off on them if they're reaching for whatever else they might have under their towels.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-08-06 at 08:50 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  11. - Top - End - #881
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy is an exchange that takes place over a period of a minute or more. So, trying to do it in a single round incurs a -10 penalty. Soooo, you scored a -3 total.

    The three woman are shocked by this intrusion, and sink a little more into the water to hide their naked bodies, but then look the party over.

    "Well," says one lasciviously, "since you're here you might as well join us."

    Celiss is using all of her focus on them ... just in case.

    Lavinia notes the ladies, nods to them, and says, "Ka'Xet, get the door and we'll follow in..."

    One of the ladies says, "Where you going..."

    Lavinia says, "Never mind, ladies. Official watch-allowed business. Ka'Xet, the door ..."

    Seeing as this incredibly tall, beautiful woman is going to make things difficult, the ladies suddenly look hostile. Before Celiss can get off her action ... which should be impressive to Celiss .... the daggers are all out in their hands. Celiss lets go with her arcane power, and hellish power, noise, and diabolical vision really briefly flares. All three women scream in mortal terror ...

    R1T22: "Yes," says Lazer, "I'm pretty sure that's a real reaction. They seemed like they were stalling us from the doors."

    He flies overhead of the three screaming ladies to the double doors while grabbing out one of the wands. Still flying, he opens one of the double doors.

    R1T21.9: Celiss, the ladies haven't even had a chance to run yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Being affected by spells that cause you to move on your own power still don't occur until the affected's turn.

    Timing .... it was stunning how fast these women drew their daggers. And since time, and its manipulation, has been a recent study of much interest to you, the question is posed: was this through magical means, through some martial training, or from a combination of magical-and-martial?
    From about where you are already, it would take 25' to get to the other unopened double door, though getting around to Lazer's side would take 35'. On a side-note, you see that all three of these woman have daggers that are exactly the same - a trio of jet black weapons.

    You are pretty confident that these weak-minded women are honestly in mortal dread of you. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-08 at 12:48 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #882
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss knows that the women will probably run away from her, so she moves around towards the double doors in a way that will hopefully result in them just running right through the door out of the baths. The fear she instilled in them shouldn't last too long, and Celiss doesn't want to end up fighting them with the group split up.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  13. - Top - End - #883
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T21.9: Celiss knows that the women will probably run away from her, so she moves around towards the double doors in a way that will hopefully result in them just running right through the door out of the baths. The fear she instilled in them shouldn't last too long, and Celiss doesn't want to end up fighting them with the group split up.

    She sees the following ... Twin rows of of thick marble columns support the high ceiling of this domed chamber. A colored mosaic of ceramic tiles accentuates three gurgling pools of warm mud. An artificial fall of crystal-clear water cascades down the east wall, identified by a small plaque as a rinsing station for the mud baths.

    Standing over the central pool is a robed man with a rapier of gleaming metal raised overhead as if in a salute or commanding posture. Two men hold a saw-toothed greatsword with blade quillons overhead, as another four look to the pool. Whipping around to face Lazer and Celiss (in addition to the man in robes), are two women. One holds a slender azure rod. The other woman wields a short sword with a gleaming metal winding around its elongated hilt, interspersed with gemstones.

    R1T21.9-15: All three ladies scream and all three drop their daggers and scramble out of the pool. They are completely naked, quite tall and nubile - causing physical complications for the men in the party, and as neither the males (nor Lavinia, for that matter) are likely to cut them down as they pass .... the party lets them go, screaming down the hallway in terror.

    All three of the jet-black daggers were dropped into the water of the steam bath.

    More to come ... but it's almost time for Giants backup.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-08 at 02:55 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #884
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T14: Lavinia moves just inside of the door where you were, meaning she's trying to look across the steam to what's on the other side. She calls out, "This is Lady Lavinia Vanderboren, here on watch business. Stop whatever ceremony you're performing that you may be questioned in relation to a murder that occurred today."

    R1T11: The woman with the slender azure rod concentrates and magically the thing becomes a massive dire flail with twin-heads carved from black iron. A voice comes from the woman, but not from her mouth, "They have an Oquon weapon! Attack! They're marauders comes to destroy us!"

    The woman stands ready for an attack, spinning the flail menacingly.

    R1T10: Korian moves up to this far door while drawing his handaxe, sees the trouble, and makes an outstanding leap as a swift action while coming down at the woman with handaxe and claw while growling. The woman gets off her attack first, but the speed of Korian's leap throws her off. His axe gets her in the left calf for 11 damage. Where his axe went low, his claw nails her for max (6) damage to her right upper arm.

    R1T9.1-9.0: "It's true," calls another unseen woman's voice. "They are Oquon assassins. Kill them! Drop in the Oquon."

    The robed people throw in the greatsword into the mudbath, while the man with the silver sword takes out a scroll and reads from it and the scroll seems to puff erratically. "What is your problem, Sartanis?! You told me this was a simple procedure for you."

    "Please forgive me, Czarina Valora," says the man with the gleaming metal rapier, "but I may have overestimated my power in being able to read the transmute mud to rock scroll. No fear, I have another."

    R1T8: Darrius, considering the limited berth of the steam deck and the position of the door, you'd have to go into that far side room to see anything. You really don't know anything that's been described, and you only hear the sounds of Korian's combat there, and you do hear talking but you have no idea what is being said.

    What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-08 at 11:22 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius growls at his weapon after its initial declaration, "If you're going to be yelling all the time, you're going back in the well now. Can't very well make use of my stealth talents when you're-" And he gets cut off by the terror-inspiring Celiss and the resulting attractive young women running by. He sputters for a moment as he watches them leave, the running and screaming not doing anything to detract from their appearance, perhaps only enhance it.

    He twitches as he tries his hardest to do the decent thing and not ogle after them once they are past him, and barely succeeds. Though he thinks Korian might be reacting on instinct, for good or ill, he knows he can't do anything about it from out here and heads in to get a look at what is going on, drawing the sentient blade as he does so. The fact that he becomes outlined with silvery flames to match the sheen of the weapon is just icing on the cake.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sure yelling at the weapon and then the ladies' passage is what caused that 8 Initiative. XD

    Well, move action, with an included drawing of weapon.

    Free Action and a swift action, activate incarnum radiance and re-allocate essentia, because putting the radiance and the mantle together amuses me greatly. 2 in the mantle of flame, 2 bluesteel bracers, 1 dragon mantle.

    For my standard, I'm thinking toss out a detect evil, just for the presence/absence in the area if I can not include celiss. Otherwise, thinking of moving, with a tumble if necessary, to get up into melee. Want to go for scroll guy, but I don't know anything about any scroll, so I'm not sure what to do. X.x
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  16. - Top - End - #886
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T8: Darrius growls at his weapon after its initial declaration, "If you're going to be yelling all the time, you're going back in the well now. Can't very well make use of my stealth talents when you're--"

    He gets cut off by the terror-inspiring Celiss and the resulting attractive young women running by. He sputters for a moment as he watches them leave, the running and screaming not doing anything to detract from their appearance, perhaps only enhance it.

    He twitches as he tries his hardest to do the decent thing and not ogle after them once they are past him, and barely succeeds. Though he thinks Korian might be reacting on instinct, for good or ill, he knows he can't do anything about it from out here and heads in to get a look at what is going on, drawing the sentient blade as he does so. The fact that he becomes outlined with blue flames, and a silvery outer sheen to them to match the sheen of the weapon, is just icing on the cake.

    Considering he isn't afraid of water and he doesn't want to spend all of his movement moving up to where an unknown enemy will strike him first, the aquatic man jumps into the steam pool (which, of course, isn't very deep) and begins to concentrate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss, Lazer, Korian, Lavinia, and pretty much everyone in that room are in your cone of detect evil. Yes, you detect that there is in fact evil in this area. You'd have to spend another round or two to begin to zero in on that evil.
    Sabrehawk says, "I apologize, Darrius, and in most situations I understand and will respect that stealth. But I am hard pressed to remain quiet when I see the killer-whore Cabanites nearby. Besides, would you throw one of your companions here into a well to discard them if they say something you don't like .... or in truth, do not yet understand what you can do?"

    R1T7: The lady with the dire flail steps up a little to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with her ally. She spins the rod about like an expert. Her first attack is blocked by the amazing fast defenses of Korian, but the second actually got close enough to bounce off his shirt. It didn't get through, but it speaks well of the woman's prowess. A woman's voice is heard, though the woman does not speak. "Arrogant male creature. I shall have fun bashing you into the ground."

    R1T4: Ka'Xet, obviously Darrius jumped into the water to get a centerline view into the room to assess the situation. Meanwhile, with the door jammed up, your choices are to get into the water next to him and toss a mindblade at anything that is attacking the party, or to go tumbling into the room yourself. Sure, there are other options, but these are possibly the best two. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-13 at 07:49 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #887
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Activate burst and skate. Do a run-through to get a flanking position on the femme threatening the rabbi.
    Last edited by srgonzo; 2012-08-15 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Additional action
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  18. - Top - End - #888
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T4: Ka'Xet's xeph and psionic powers focus as he jumps out and zips over the pool and into the room, past Lazer and Celiss at the door and moves around the woman with the dire flail to flank with Korian, but gets bumped in the chest for 4 damage for his trouble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lazer didn't move into the room, and the two women formed a defensive line that Korian moved up to. My assumption is that you will flank with an ally, which in this case can only be Korian.

    End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

    R1T22: Lazer points the charm wand at the woman with the rapier and starts to speak but then shakes the wand as he realizes it didn't activate.

    R1T21.9: Celiss, the spot directly in front of the woman with the flail is held by Korian (Ka'Xet flanking), but the spot in front of the woman with the rapier is not held. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #889
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, if you haven't already done so I'm going to keep a copy of Celiss' stats in a...secure location, seeing as the sheet's lower half seems to be gone again.

    Seeing as yesterday I had Scorching Ray prepared, and I don't think I changed my 'normal' spell set, I'm going to go ahead and work off of the assumption I have it ready.


    Celiss moves to the doors, the mention of the scroll making her uneasy. As much as she feels the urge to simply start attacking, she considers what the weapons of their opponents have been saying. They had clearly become wrapped up in some long-term conflict. Normally she would pause to try and work out the issue and stop the fight before it really started, but Lavinia had already done so without effect. Besides, what had happened before didn't really make Celiss feel confident about her diplomatic abilities.

    As such, the mage simply falls back on words she knows better. Words of arcana, accompanied by motions to channel the energy she released from its carefully prepared state into a volatile blast of power. A flame erupts in her hand and Celiss extends her arm in the final motion of the spell, sending arcane fire out in a ray at the man who had attempted to read the scroll.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving into range, then firing off my Scorching Ray.

    Hope it works better than the last one.

    A: (1d20+5)[19]
    D: (4d6)[19]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  20. - Top - End - #890
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    ALCON
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bad news, for everyone, is that all three of you got wrecked.

    The good news is ....that while you must go by the feats you had, also count back to skill points you had in which you would've increased, and used the favored class bonuses where you did (basically everything on your TGS must check out) .... then anything you didn't like about your character can change. If you want to put skill points here vice there, great. If you want to choose this language vice that one? Just fine.

    In comic book parlance, this was a "radiation accident" ... an event in the storyline that allows for dramatic change of a character.

    Unfortunately, equipment is a lot trickier. Celiss will be easy, as will Ka'Xet. Darrius might be a little harder, but not that bad. When this side adventure is over, I shall reward you all by making sure you are at least on par with WBL.

    PersonMan ... absolutely, do what you have to in saving data. I now know how to save and upload a character sheet. That said, I still need some character sheet and the raw data from you. You still get to change things (as the others do) within the parameters above.

    R2T21.9: Celiss moves to the doors, the mention of the scroll making her uneasy. As much as she feels the urge to simply start attacking, she considers what the weapons of their opponents have been saying. They had clearly become wrapped up in some long-term conflict. Normally she would pause to try and work out the issue and stop the fight before it really started, but Lavinia had already done so without effect. Besides, what had happened before didn't really make Celiss feel confident about her diplomatic abilities.

    As such, the mage simply falls back on words she knows better. Words of arcana, accompanied by motions to channel the energy she released from its carefully prepared state into a volatile blast of power. A flame erupts in her hand and Celiss extends her arm in the final motion of the spell, sending arcane fire out in a ray at the man who had attempted to read the scroll. It's a solid hit that does 19 fire damage. Yet, while he seems to be some type of arcane caster, he does not look like a wimpy slouch and is able to take it.

    R2T14: Lavinia says to the group, "Oh, well. That didn't work so well. It's up to you, my friends."

    She takes out her masterwork lute, says a very quick spell, and begins to play a very inspiring tune that adds a little fire to every ally's soul.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss and Darrius recognize inspirational boost.

    Effect - and I'll note it, please - +2 morale bonus to hit, and +2 morale bonus to saves against fear.

    R2T10.1: The woman with the flail is entirely outclassed against Korian's defenses, and seems to be having trouble anyway.

    R2T10: The mists wrap around Korian as ice forms on handaxe, claw, and teeth. The flail-holder's combat agility is impressive, but his axe just gets to graze her in the boob for 9 damage + 2 cold damage.

    Having attacked high, he slams his left claw into her left foot for 4 damage + 3 cold damage. For far more than that stroke, she is in the red. His jaws snap at her, but she desperately fends him off with the flail.

    R2T9.1: The robed figures speed off to the side, and no PC quite sees where they went.

    R2T9: The seeming leader that Celiss just wounded reads the scroll, this time with perfection. Even if the power of this spell is not known, the spell can be guessed at. For where there was a pool of mud into which the greatsword was thrown ... that mud has now turned to stone.

    A woman's voice can be heard from that man, but without him speaking. "Heroes, I am sorry you do not understand. But the Oquon with you seek to ruin Sasserine, so we had to entomb the one we did. Sartanis, we are done. Go."

    Sartanis bolts the same direction as the cowering cronies that threw the sword into the mud-now-stone.

    R2T8: Darrius, the cronies and Sartanis and his blade are gone, but in addition to the PCs, you still can hone in if you want with your detect evil to determine number of evil auras, and the most powerful one. You won't be able to really refine to individuals until next round.

    What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-23 at 04:34 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius had hoped to assess the situation, which would have included not getting Celiss in the detect evil, but it was probably a poor decision given the apparent hostilities inherent between these Cabanites and Oquon, if the latter applies to the blade like he suspects. He curses to himself and then shakes his blade a bit, as if that would let out his frustrations, "We'll discuss comparisons of magic metal to flesh and blood later, but for now, you get your wish." He lets out another little grunt of frustration as his eyes dim and he leans into a quick rush to get up behind the flail wielding woman. With the faint silver trail carving the air behind the blade he lashes out at the woman, but does not specifically aim for any vital organs.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move into flanking with flail-lady if I can, or just to reach if not. If no reach, then the narration above will need to be changed to a spit.

    Swift to max out the spit instead of any in bracers or dragon mantle if I need to ranged DPS this.

    And stabby (not claiming Sneak Attack if its an option)
    MeleeAttk: (1d20+9)[22] (+2 more if flanking)
    Pierce: (1d6+7)[13]

    if spit
    RTA: (1d20+7)[9]
    Acid: (4d6)[9]

    Edit: Also, shouldn't we also be getting +2 damage from Lavinia?
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2012-08-23 at 02:54 AM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  22. - Top - End - #892
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, sorry, you're right ... +2 to weapon damage ... not natural attacks or energy adders. But that's still an additional 2 damage she took from Korian's axe. She is barely standing.

    R2T8: Darrius had hoped to assess the situation, which would have included not getting Celiss in the detect evil, but it was probably a poor decision given the apparent hostilities inherent between these Cabanites and Oquon, if the latter applies to the blade like he suspects. He curses to himself and then shakes his blade a bit, as if that would let out his frustrations, "We'll discuss comparisons of magic metal to flesh and blood later, but for now, you get your wish."

    He lets out another little grunt of frustration as his eyes dim and he leans into a slogging, splashing rush out of the pool to get just in front of Celiss. He spits but misses.

    R2T7: The woman with the short sword with streaks of gleaming metal attacks Korian, who blocks with his axe.

    R2T4: Ka'Xet, what do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #893
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Fling mindblade at she who dares attack Korian.

    ATK
    (1d20+9)[29]

    DAM
    (1d6+4)[5]

    Manifest a new blade.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  24. - Top - End - #894
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Rolling to confirm critical (natural 20!)

    (1d20+9)[19]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  25. - Top - End - #895
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T4: Ka'Xet flings his mindblade at the woman that dared to attack Korian, hitting her for a crit through her foot and into her Achilles (MacAvemeth) tendon for 10 damage. He reforms his blade.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You rerolled the attack, but you forgot to reroll damage, sadly, it was min damage again .... meaning the total was only the max you'd do with one strike.

    End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

    R3T22: Lazer points the charm wand at the unwounded woman, this time getting it to work. "Lay down your blade and back away for we do not wish to hurt you, but only to find out how we may figure this out diplomatically."

    The woman's face begins to slack, when an unseen woman's voice says, "NO! Do not drop me. Our task here is done and they are too strong. Let us depart."

    The voice is strong enough that while the woman's voice is still slack, her body seems not quite her own.

    R3T21.9: Celiss, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-24 at 12:32 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #896
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss moved over to the already injured woman. It was clear that some of these 'Cabanites' would escape, but if they could drop one of them they might be able to finally get both sides of this strange tale...

    If possible, Celiss moves to attack the injured woman, looking to knock her out rather than kill her.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move, attack (if possible, otherwise double move to a place where I can intercept her if she runs).

    A: (1d20+6)[8] I don't take the -4 for nonlethal with my unarmed strikes, correct?
    D: (1d6+3)[9] NL

    EDIT: Well. Guess not.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-08-26 at 05:18 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Also not a girl.

  27. - Top - End - #897
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T21.9: Celiss moved over to the already injured woman. It was clear that some of these 'Cabanites' would escape, but if they could drop one of them they might be able to finally get both sides of this strange tale, but misses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What?!? Of course you choose between lethal and nonlethal. In fact, any Tom, Richard, or Harry can choose - without penalty - between lethal and nonlethal with Improved Unarmed Strike. Now, if you used your natural weaponry, vice a monastic strike, that would be a different matter. Oh, and to stop any questions now, you do not get "unarmed" bonuses for natural weapons, nor any monastic abilities for the same - such as increasing damage die, flurry of blows, or stunning fist.

    R3T21.9: Lavinia continues to play inspiring music ... just in case.

    R3T10.1: With some admirable training, the very badly wounded woman tumbles away from Korian and Darrius, but does not continue past Celiss, who tries to legsweep the buxom bounder, but misses. The woman continues past and gets to a wall to the north where there is an easily climbable tree that drops down over the other side.

    R3T10: With a roar, Korian bounds after the fleeing woman like a predator, trying to smash her into the wall, but skids just to a stop before the wall as he misses.

    R3T9: The scroll-reader is also at the bottom of the tree, and he easily climbs up and over, out of sight, but not before Korian cuts deep into his leg for 12 with his handaxe.

    R3T8: Darrius, what do you do? There is still a woman with the short sword here, and the badly wounded woman down the way.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-26 at 12:48 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius decides to take aim at the fleeing woman, to hopefully stop her before she's gone as the other would still need to retreat to the tree in order to leave.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the slow reply, and for not really getting any work done on rebuilding Darrius's lower half yet, I've been otherwise occupied. Time not spent working have been aimed at planning a wedding. >.>

    aaaaaanywho
    RTA: (1d20+7)[24]
    Acid: (4d6)[14]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  29. - Top - End - #899
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Stuff happens, and the entire adventure parses out in a week ...
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #900
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Wealsun 1 - 14, 589 CY
    (6th Month, Low Summer)


    The entire event (referred to as the 'War of the Wielded' takes all of a week). Not even Sabrehawk survives. However, the adventurers bring all of what they've been learning together to reach new heights of knowledge and prowess. They also gain a lot of new coin. (Now's the time when you were able to buy, sell back, whatever you need for 5th ECL WBL.)

    Feeling like he was put to such petty use, and after Lavinia mentioned that it still might be two weeks or more before heading out, Korian leaves again and tells Ka'Xet that he will be in his 'territory' again when it is time to sail.

    One of the things that has made what could have been a two-day adventure last a full grueling week was Celiss. Her diabolical shifts have ever greatly increased, but now to truly and incredibly marked effect. Her scales thicken, her senses and cunning increase, her upper jaw has grown quite wide, and the lower jaw not quite to a dimpled point, with slightly sunken cheeks. Her upper and lower canines are now pronounced to the point where they protrude upwards/ downwards of the lips - but much more attractively than an underslung jaw. The most dramatic advancement is that over three days she suffered horrible deformation as a pair of scalloped wings ripped forth from her back. It wasn't the nice overnight ordeal that seemed rather pleasant for Lazer on the return trip from Kraken's Cove. And that just might not be a good thing for her to dwell upon.

    Once word gets out of her new form, the Dawn Council immediately rejects her with no sense of remorse, even worrying that she may be a devil in the employ of the scarlet brotherhood. She is no longer just strongly tinted in the diabolical .... she really looks like a devil now. She even sports a tail with a barb (neither weapon nor prehensile, just cosmetic). Any sense that she was ever human is entirely gone. There is even a vague smell of brimstone about her, and her nubs of horns are now strongly curved up and back. (They can be part of her unarmed combat as a monk, but not a natural 'butting' weapon.)

    The Witchwardens take a little longer. She is asked to wait in Vanderboren Manor for her own safety, this being seconded by the Dawn Council. If she started flying around the streets of Sasserine, what was once exotic, interesting, and even mildly faddish is now a symbol of eternal enslavement and horror! The Witchwardens debate wildly on the subject, with Damaal the Wry doing what he can in her defense. In the end, after mind divinations prove that she is as true as she can be ... both evil and good, and containing no hidden allegiances (at this time) ... that she is recommended to be an "Initiate Emeritus." She is listed as in "Good Standing" but no longer 'active' in membership. In this way, she actually gets to keep her Witchwarden dagger (a gift, not part of her WBL). Damaal will continue to 'check out' books in his name (a rare conceit not given to most members) for her to study at VL.

    No longer a member of the Dawn Council, an effective exile (despite 'good standing' and the laughable 'have a dagger' condolence) from a powerful wizards guild, and what really amounts to a form of house arrest for her own safety and that of the city. It once seemed so cosmopolitan. She is a member of the adventuring company known formally as "Lavinia's Lot" that is known by more people informally as "The Monster Crew," but now she - not the others - is finding the limits of the city's tolerance. Yes, it will be a good thing indeed to leave Sasserine on a ship. Korian left before it was too late, but was at home in the wild anyway. Celiss, on the other hand, even with her training in the monastery, had talents and skills that were far more suited for urban life. When her powers first began to manifest, and even now, though Celiss constantly senses a form of anger, still her powers and the ease by which she learns certain nuances and skills now displays that her background is far more about the power of the mind and subterfuge than violence.

    Lavinia, knowing that this must be terrible for Celiss, does as best as she can to be a loving little sister without being cloying. But there can be a feeling of condescension there.

    In addition to any of the other PCs there, Celiss is finding a real comfort in sharing drinks (being immune to poison, she doesn't get drunk) with the The Caller. As both a summoner and a binder, he is used to dealing with creatures, sentients .... persons, of all sorts of backgrounds, and is tolerant of all things ever created, even moreso than many of the party members. This doesn't mean he agrees with them, but he has a sense of the universe's need for them for an overall balance. But morality is ultimately a personal choice. Just because you are infused with this evil and tyrannical power doesn't mean that you are evil or tyrannical.

    You're just You. Now define yourself as best as You can.
    ...........................................

    Lazer makes sure to take the party out on various training runs to teach everyone the rudiments of sailing. It is a crash-course and Rabbi Cohen is unrelenting. The sea is a dangerous person, and no one can afford to be ignorant when the ship is in peril. In addition, those who don't know how to swim (Celiss) he makes sure is taught. Even though Celiss has the ring of swimming, actually understanding swimming may help. (Especially if she doesn't re-include the ring as part of her new WBL setup.) Rabbi Eliezer is able to get Celiss out of the house for sailing lessons on the grounds that this will teacher how best to leave Sasserine (with the listener making the assumption that she'll never be back.)

    The party actually ends up being decent salts over the two week period. Though nothing will beat experience.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-09-30 at 10:24 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •