Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 960 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    One-Eye, Lirith just dropped into the drink. What do you do?

    Meanwhile, Celiss ... Despite the chop, you know you could swim in the water easily enough if you went down to her, but you couldn't pull Lirith out and fly her up to deck. What do you want to do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-04 at 02:38 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #932
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    One-Eye undoes and drops his gunbelt on the Nixie's deck (MA, provokes AOO), and then jumps into the water next to Lirith. The move is more to steady her in case she hit her head. Otherwise, she can probably scale any rope they toss down. He looks up without saying anything.

    No need, however. Even soaked and weighed down by her clothing, Lirith. speedily manages to find purchase on the ship and ambles up, over the Wyvern's gunwale, and drops prone to the deck.

    Celiss?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-07 at 03:49 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #933
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss grabs a length of rope that's tied off to a belaying pin. She flies across to the Nixie while dropping the line down to One-Eye.

    Tolin picks up One-Eye's gunbelt, and hands them up towards Celiss (she doesn't have them yet).

    Korian peers down, seeing that the scene appears to be under control.

    The Caller calls down to One-Eye, "Celiss is going to grab your gun belt and fly back."

    A lot of eyes dart to Skald, and then dart away, many minds thinking the same thing.

    "Dammit!" shouts Venkalie. As the bo'sun, she is directly responsible for Lirith. "Lirith, how in Gehenna's gurgling gash did you mess up the net seat? Serves you right. Start setting up another."

    Mr. Cohen calls over, "Captain, I'm going to fly in to grab the net seat, or we'll have to full-pulley or some other uncomfortable thing."

    With that, he flies out, and dives down into the water.

    A burst of acid splashes from the deck of the Wyvern. Lirith's amazing agility saves her as she swings around the gunwale, over the water, and then back on deck but facing the source of acid. One passenger moves well and takes 1 acid damage, another gets hit for 2, and a third for 3.

    The main annoying thing that gets burned is the rope that Celiss had tied off. Its singed end drops down next to One-Eye, sinking into the water, hissing and popping in the water. The pulley-set gets singed, but the ropes on it corrode, and several lines snap, threatening to endanger the rigging.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-11 at 01:43 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #934
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T28: With nearly impossible speed, well exceeding anything the (old) PCs can manage, Lirith zips out her crossbow and shoots at something. Her shot hits against something small that shouts out a curse.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Aquan, but nothing in particular other than general imprecations.


    R1T25: Zan pulls out his shortbow and fires well below, the arrow clacking off the hull of the Wyvern.

    R1T23: One-Eye, you are in the water between the ships. You saw a flash of green overhead (and Lirith arcing to-from the ship). You heard her calls for a bucket brigade. You realized you were in combat once you heard the twang of the other two bows and saw arrows go from the Nixie to the Wyvern. You have nothing to help you clamber up the sides of the ship, except luck ... and though you are athletic, Lirith's performance was nothing short of inspiring.

    What do you do?

    Darrius, you're on deck. It is a small humanoid with leathery wings, small horns, and a leathery smile.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A water mephit. An outsider from the Elemental Plane of Water. These little guys can belch forth acid every 30 seconds or so, and with limited effect can conjure a choking mist and an arrow of acid. If hurt, they can dive into water to heal quickly.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    About how far apart are the two ships? I can't seem to recall, and if I happen to need to cross the distance that'd be mighty important. XD
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  6. - Top - End - #936
    Troll in the Playground
     
    UserClone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "Throw down a damn rope, ye lazy oaves!" The Darfellan treads water as he waits.

    Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"


  7. - Top - End - #937
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T23: "Throw down a damn rope, ye lazy oaves!" The Darfellan treads water as he waits.

    R1T22: For the purposes of safety, the ships were given a 30' minimum standoff distance so the choppy water doesn't have one ship bouncing into the other. Out of ship-to-ship combat, even that is a little less than conservative. Normally, a longboat would've been used. It's just that the idea of a net seat was a way to bring out the sense of "togetherness" both crews share.

    Darrius, you didn't even get to act in the pre/surprise round. You would need to move 10' to get to the Nixie's gunwale, then it is 30' to the Wyvern, and for purposes of information, the creature is 15' above the deck, and 15' from the Wyvern's gunwale. (55' from you total, not accounting for height, especially since the Nixie's freeboard is 5' higher than your own ship).

    What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius takes a step towards the Wyvern and explodes into a shower of blue-black fog that quickly disperses to the winds. On board the Wyvern he appears with a finely made dagger in his hands and looks ready to throw it at the mephit.

    Spoiler
    Show
    5ft step, Shadow Jaunt (max distance is 50ft, going as far towards the mephit as I can), Draw Weapon, with a swift action to change E in there somewhere.

    I settled on the masterwork dagger as my drawn weapon, as an airborne foe makes Nighteater less than useful, and taking anything but his unique weapon and a wrist sheathed dagger seems ill fitting for a captain.

    Change E setup to 3 Lightning Gauntlets, 2 Dragon Mantle, 1 Acrobat Boots.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2012-11-11 at 10:34 PM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  9. - Top - End - #939
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T22: Darrius takes a step towards the Wyvern and explodes into a shower of blue-black fog that quickly disperses to the winds. On board the Wyvern he appears with a finely made dagger in his hands and looks ready to throw it at the mephit.

    R1T19: "Ooooh! Well done, Captain!" squeals old Forol with delight. "What a curious creature. Can we capture and study it?"

    R1T18: The little bugger definitely doesn't seem happy, and focuses its attention on the curious man of shadow yet adorned with blue glowy things .... and a dagger poised to hit him. It throws out its hand, and a dart of acid crits the captain in the face for 5 mod acid damage. The acid is stinging, and doesn't seem to be abating.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darrius, this seems exactly like an acid arrow spell.
    It looks like it would be an average flier, but through strong skill it manages to climb 30', now making it 45' above the deck.

    R1T17.9: Mr. Kahir, distances and such are/were exactly as were described to Darrius (above), except that now the imp-like creature is now 45' off the deck of the Wyvern. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground
     
    UserClone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "I SAID THROW ME A F****** ROPE!"

    Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"


  11. - Top - End - #941
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet (Mr. Kahir)? It's still your turn, though you do hear One-Eye bellowing down there. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #942
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Throw One-Eye some rope.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  13. - Top - End - #943
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    One-Eye continues bellowing: "I SAID THROW ME A F****** ROPE!"

    R1T17.9: Mr. Kahir grabs a length of rope tied to a belaying pin there on the Nixie, and tosses it over for One-Eye.

    R1T17: Skald takes out his bow and shoots, but his arrow catches in the sail and tumbles to the deck.

    R1T16: Ms. Venkalie steps up and to the side of the gunwale while grabbing her crossbow. She calls down: "I am so glad to see that you now have the necessities in life, One-Eye!"

    She fires at the little bugger and the bolt cracks on its skin before the pieces fall apart from splintering.

    R1T14: The Caller moves over to the rope drop and looks down. He casts a spell. He then says to One-Eye, "Just hold on tightly, and I'll pull you up."

    R1T12: Celiss, you recognize the spell The Caller cast as ant haul, a spell which is available to nearly every known primary spell list, and several others - including summoners. Also, you recognize the water mephit as described here. You are flying 5' off the deck of the Nixie. At your current position, you are 45' laterally from the mephit, and 10' height differential. (We use standard D&D faux-Cartesian block-counting for 3D combat ... not trigonometric values.)

    What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #944
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T12: Celiss concentrates, finding in her a power of subterfuge and misdirection within her heritage. Her body seems to shift and break into four - herself and three images - all melting and shifting around. She flaps her way to the Wyvern while drawing her rapier. She is now 20' laterally, and 40' off the deck (15' differential w/ mephit) - and that is with incredible flying.

    R1T11: Mr. Cohen surfaces next to One-Eye. He calls up, "I've got the net seat, but I don't have the strength to fly up with One-Eye ... even to aid the effort, really, as I'm not braced. Seems you got enough, though."

    R1T10.9-7: Lavinia and Tolin go over to The Caller and Lavinia says, "On your mark, Caller," as she and Tolin are ready to aid in pulling up One-Eye. They ready to pull up One-Eye on Caller's mark.

    R1T6.9: A figure in the darkness comes zooming down from the crow's nest with an incredibly nervy straight-down dive. Korian catches the thing with a claw for 5 mod damage. However, as soon as Korian's claw catches the thing, the daredevil erupts with a burst of icy blue light that covers a 10' radius. The mephit was totally unaware of such an attack and takes 20 cold damage.

    It doesn't end, though, as Korian's claw itself catches ahold of the flying creature. They both go straight to the deck. The crazy jump and his tumble at the end keeps Korian from taking too much damage ... only 8 damage, as his downward jump seemed nearly flawless (as did his roll at the end). He keeps his arms extended on the roll so the mephit does not enjoy the same, and it takes a further 12 mod damage. This drops the mephit, and Korian is prone.
    Darrius
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognized the combination of the Leaping Dragon stance (which makes sense that would be his prepared, being in the crow's nest) and Sudden Leap boost of the Tiger School, and the Death Mark strike of Biting Wind [Desert Wind] strike. You notice, too, that Korian's claws have not only become sharper, but a curvature to them has allowed him to grab onto the mephit .... something your claws and Celiss' can not do.

    R1T4: Kaskus shouts over to the Wyvern, "What the hell was that? More importantly, what in the blazes dropped on it?!?"

    End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

    R2T28: Lirith bounds over to the two fallen bodies with her great cutlass, and lops down for 11 mod damage with a focused strike against its gut ... entrails spilling out in a steaming mess.

    Combat Ends ...

    One-Eye is pulled out, and The Caller seems a lot stronger pulling One-Eye out than one would think possible. Lirith rigs up the net seat with Celiss's help. Korian scrambles back up the crow's nest as happy as can be. One-Eye collects his guns, and all go back to the ship. At Lavinia's coaxing, Darrius is the last to get back to his ship and says, "Water mephit. They can be dangerous, but not very. And it seems very strange that one would try to go on a rampage on your ship, Captain Wavebreaker. Practically suicidal. Seems very strange indeed. And the body is still there, so it doesn't seem to be any kind of summoning."

    She pokes fun at Darrius, though there is something that veils some sense of sternness in her, "Well, we've proven nothing more than your rigger can't rig, you're swimming-race Cook screams for a rope out of the water when he's in the water, your first mate jumps ship when there's battle, and while not technically a crewmember, your crow's nest lookout is a psychotic that is willing to make a high dive to a thick wood deck just to take a swipe at a target that doesn't seem the risk. Does that about sum things up?

    "At least your cook makes a fine stuffed sole and octopus-and-potato salad. And the Kettite chardonnay was a perfect match."


    Darrius, anything to say?

    Celiss, Ka'Xet .... do you do anything before the captain gets back to the ship?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-17 at 03:25 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #945
    Troll in the Playground
     
    UserClone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "Believe me, missy, when the battle ain't up in the air abovedecks, but down in the brine, won't be me you hear callin' fer a lift out."
    Last edited by UserClone; 2012-11-18 at 11:05 AM.

    Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"


  16. - Top - End - #946
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Venkalie retorts, "Well, that's why I stay on the ship, you sour-scaled scullery maid! What the hell is that smell?!"

    It isn't hard to smell at all. It is as if there is any extremely powerful vinegary, briny pickled smell. You all track the source to a large jar on the deck of the ship. The lid of the jar is lying on the deck right next to it. The jar isn't full of this vinegary fluid, but plenty is there.

    Celiss, you mentally calculate that if the jar were at full volume, then the displacement of the water mephit would would account for the volume of pickling fluid remaining. I assume you tell everyone?

    Mr. Cohen goes to take the three wounded passengers below to give them comfort from their acid burns.

    Anyone have anything to add?
    .............................................

    Darrius, do you say anything to Lavinia besides the normal farewell stuff? or do you simply head back and learn the above.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-18 at 08:08 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    >.> we hand waving(/shadow-jaunting) Darrius back to the Nixie for conversation, then? I don't mind, I just read it and was a bit confuzzled. XD

    Also, as the acid was melf's-esque, any damage from lingering rounds of acid, or does ER take care of it all?


    Darrius nods to Lavinia at her comment on the mephit sticking around as he pulls free a few acid-loosened scales around his eyes, "Aye, suspicious works, that. I'll have to question our wild friend, see if he saw anything out of the ordinary. Though, I can't help but to think he'd have raised the alarm before the attack if he did. These days I'm getting to where I might even take it as a sign from the Storm Lord, and not a pleasant one at that. I think I'll be asking the good Doctor for another round of prayer after this."

    At the gentle ribbing he smiles, though it is just a touch grim, though he's got a bit of a chuckle in the last bit, "Quite right, mi'lady. Might be I'll need to have a stronger hand in times of emergency to keep this motley crew in check. Heh, and keep an eye on the orca-man, to make sure he's not fattening us up for a greater meal."
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  18. - Top - End - #948
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for your honesty. You do take another 1 mod acid damage over the next two rounds. Yeah, we'll do some hand-waving.


    With his words, Darrius *BAMFS* back to the deck of the Sea Wyvern, noting his crew congregating around a jar of some strong pickling fluid just under 1/3 full. Celiss tells him that the mephit would've provided perfect displacement for the remaining fluid.

    The jar was placed inside a coil of rope by the main mast. Celiss notes that there is a lingering aura of necromantic magic. The best she can figure is that this was some type of magic jar that held a mephit pickled in some sort of life-stasis until the jar was opened.

    If asked, Korian will state that he tends to look outward for dangers from sea, and only looks down less since the deck is occupied. At the height of the crow's nest, he will say he did notice the pickled smell, but figured that was just the "wafting" of strong food from the feast, and it wasn't that strong.

    Celiss' pronouncement, the jar opened and placed inside a rope with definite intent to hide. No one has to say anything, and the handful of crewmembers figure it out. For whatever reason, someone onboard set loose a monster for a brief, limited rampage.

    Mr. Cohen returns, having bandaged and salved the three victims. He receives what news there is to get the update. Since Korian was so high and all other crewmembers were on the Nixie, the officers don't need to keep information from the rest of the crew. However, Cohen does recommend the crew keep the decks clear of passengers (who only now have begun to come out again ... mainly out of curiosity).

    "Well," starts Mr. Cohen, "we should still for the night. No use in stirring up everyone. But tomorrow I recommend we should find out what passengers were on deck, who saw what, and then figure out a way to question everyone else or conduct a search. I'm not sure how, though, but we should find a way to be discrete in all of this."

    The lanky deckhand speaks up unsurely, "Captain, we could make a casual search, but do nothing."

    Venkalie, Veldirose, and Forol all roll their eyes, but Skald continues nasally, "If we conduct any kind of investigation right now, now at the start of the voyage, it will sow more mistrust in our crew by them, than we could have of them. It would make for an uncomfortable and hostile voyage.

    "We can just say it was a random attack by a foolish water creature that the 'heroic' crew managed to stop. I really think we should do nothing until nothing happens or something happens. If something does happen, I'm sure it will be more severe; but I doubt it will involve real sabotage of the ship, because the saboteur needs the ship--"


    "Mr. Skald," cuts in the first mate, "I appreciate your concern for everyone's individual rights, but the more important issue is the safety of the entire ship. Waiting is an unacceptable level of risk. A ship, even with private passengers, must have more vigilance than just wait-and-hope."

    "Captain? Your orders?"


    Darrius, your orders? or, anyone else, your input?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius studies the jar for a moment, "Whether a prank or sabotage, we can't leave this be. No one was seriously injured, this time, but if another such happenstance occurs we might not be so lucky. We'll start with a search to see if we can't find any more of these buggers, call it an inspection if you will. If we find anything overtly suspicious we'll act on it immediately. If not, myself and Mr. Cohen here will conduct a few private interviews, in the interest of ensuring it was a fluke occurrence, of course."
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  20. - Top - End - #950
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    The inspection covers most of the ship, but shouldn't cover personal trunks .... unless Darrius does that. The only one who has his own space is Avner. Other than that, the passengers are set up in compartments of open bay bunking .... hammock over hammock and the like ... in open cabins.

    A sweep of the ship, without really breaking things down, shows no more of these.

    What private interviews, and will you wait until morning since after the inspection it is now getting late?

    EDIT: At Mr. Cohen's request, Korian went through the ship. Even with a bottled pickled mephit, it is very likely that the seal would not be perfect and might give away a scent. Nothing. Either others are on the ship and sealed well, or there are no more. Cohen believes the latter, since it would be foolish for a saboteur to use the same measure.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-22 at 03:46 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #951
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Whatever interviews are conducted, no knowledge can be gained. Maybe there are rivalries, maybe there aren't, but either the people that were on deck (you can get that much, at least) had nothing to do with it, or someone is extremely good at hiding their motives.

    For now, it is a waiting game to see if the saboteur tries something else.

    Wealsun 22 (Day 2) - Full Moon
    Coastal fort spotted.

    Coastal forts are common sights along the Amedio Jungle coast up until Fort Blackwell, after which there are no more forts to be found on the map. The majority of these forts are held by the Scarlet Brotherhood (a sprawling organization of sinister monks and assassins), and are used as staging points for expeditions into the jungle interior. Lavinia avoids these forts, and often takes the expedition further out to sea as she passes by them to avoid any conflict. The intel is that two forts after that point are not held by the Scarlet Brotherhood - Fort Blackwell and Fort Greenrock.

    Wealsun 23 (Day 3) - As the expedition as back to being closer to the coastline, Korian calls out that there where the expedition is passing includes some wild fetishes. From the Nixie's action, it's obvious that their lookout noticed it as well.

    You pass along 10 miles of jungle coastline that is home to Kapok trees. Those who might have trouble seeing can look through Captain Wavebreaker's spyglass (assuming he lets them) for a better look. There are hundreds of tribal ornaments in the trees, as well as numerous dessicated lizardfolk corpses hanging from the boughs. These trees are filled with strange fetishes, masks, and totems.

    The Blue Nixie signals that whatever massive tribes live there have successfully conveyed their message ... don't go there.

    Wealsun 24 (Day 4)
    The ship spots the teetering stone ruins of an ancient village. Lavinia would rather ignore it for now. Lavinia had promised Urol Forol a stop at the mightiest of ancient ruins, but she doesn't want to waste time along the way.

    Wealsun 25 (Day 5)
    More ruins on the coastline - vine-clad remnants of strange humanoid statues of immense size.

    That evening, approx. 2240. Skald is lookout. Urol Forol has the helm. Mr. Cohen is the OOD (Officer of the Deck). There are no passengers on deck because of the hour, and the ships are close to coastline.

    The alarm bell rings ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-25 at 03:23 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #952
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    On the Sea Wyvern...

    R1T28: One-Eye, you are sacked out in the scullery. (It is probably very rare for you to actually sleep in your hammock, so as to keep an eye on larder-thieves.) The alarm bell has rung. It will take you a full round to get up from your seat/recline and move some distance. I assume you will draw a weapon? What will it be?

    Towards forward hatch ... for ease of determining who goes when (or to ready, delay actions, such as who opens the hatch) .... Darrius is up, Ka'Xet is on deck, and Celiss is in the hole (after the other two ladies in the crew).
    ................................................

    Years ago ...

    Seaports are, as words are, on the sea. The sea has fish. As long as the sea has fish and there are ports from which to sail (even if "port" is a small dock), there will always be fishermen. Even in larger ports such as Sasserine, which boasts many ships berthing, leaving, drydocking, and anchoring each day, there will always be more fisherman plying their trade than seaman. The former is the simple farmer of the water, and it is harder to get more adventurous folks such as the latter.

    And so we begin in 560 CY, when a rugged, handsome man (Graham) saved an elven woman (Cyethilitae). Out of gratitude, she married him. In 561 CY they had a son, and named him Jer'el (Dove-Hawk), for his mother saw that the powers of peace and war would contend within him. Two years after he was born, when she was finished nursing Jer'el, she also had quietly finished preparations. She left within the week, leaving only a letter stating her heart could not be held in the human world any longer. She was bound on a voyage with a noble family called the Vanderborens, to a new land called the Isle of Dread to help build a new colony.

    Graham was heart-broken. As Jer'el grew, Graham told him to never mention his mother again. The young boy managed to find a few old letters they passed to each other in their brief courtship, as well as her farewell letter.

    Jer'el's half-elven senses and natural archery skill served him well as a hunter and he even won a little bit of pocket money at smaller archery competitions. Still, his heart was always with the sea. Jer'el had the inclination to travel, but his father needed him and so he stayed. Jer'el became extremely good at his father's trade, with an outstanding sense of the water.

    Several weeks ago ...

    Graham was belowdecks on The Ronnie, their schooner. He was mending a net, Jer'el was helming, one man was lookout, and the other two were hauling nets. There was some wind and white caps, and the skies were cloudy but white. Within an extremely short time, the sea picked up and the schooner was smashed by a 30-foot-wave, heeling over instantly.

    A white squall.

    As the boat went down, Jer'el tried to get his father out, but the nets from on deck kept him from his father. He prayed and prayed to Procan, to whom they had only paid lip service up until this time. They grasped hands through a porthole and a net, and Jer'el might have gone down with him so tight was his grip, but Graham took out his knife and cut his son's hand and Jer'el lost his grip.

    Jer'el watched him and what remained of the majority of the ship plunge into the depths. He saw another of the men dragged down by the nets, and never saw the other two. He managed to get to the lifeboat, and cut the lines to free it, but it still got away from him in the seas. Swimming to it after it surfaced was one of the most grueling things he'd ever done, but he did it. His first bit of luck.

    Procan failed me, or so Jer'el thought. Or, as he thought about his lack of veneration to the god of the seas, he and his father and the other three failed Him. A boisterous, agnostic lot, it was only a matter of time before the wrath of the Sea-God would catch up to them.

    But Jer'el's suffering was not to end there ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-25 at 03:57 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius hops up and heads for the hatch with a deliberate pace. He does not run, but neither does he waste any time. He'll throw open the hatch if he's the first to get to it, and head straight through to see whats going on, "What in the nine hells is going on? Procan feel the need to rob me of the only two hours a sleep that I need, or has someone else taken an unexpected swim?"
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  24. - Top - End - #954
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T28: One-Eye gets up with a start onto his feet, and heads down the passageway to the forward hatch.

    On deck ... Captain Wavebreaker, the gods had forgotten that you had the One Ring (of sustenance), and it is likely that with cramped quarters and the open ocean you would spend more time topside than below.

    In the first few seconds, before initiative count, Mr. Cohen was overlooking the ship from the poop deck. Urol Forol on helm below him, and Skald in the crow's nest. Captain Wavebreaker, you (DM does random roll) are at the foc'sle. It is a surprise round, and you don't quite have a bead on what's happening, other than the crow's nest bell is rung and Skald is shouting.

    R1T26: Captain Wavebreaker manages to see it now as he turns around. It is a formless cloud of darkness with two red pinpoints for eyes that seems to have attacked Mr. Cohen. Instead of continuing to attack the winged dwarf, for some reason it just leaves him and drops down onto poor Urol from above. This wraith-like creature swirls about him, buffeting him somehow for 3 damage, and Urol now seems to be silently suffocating, but also resisting somewhat with his hardy old body.

    R1T23: Skald shoots an arrow down at it, managing to disrupt part of its essence for 5 damage, which now is an indication that Skald has either a magic bow or magic arrows.

    R1T23: Mr. Cohen shouts, "Captain, this thing is a voidwraith, an undead air elemental that uses vacuum to steal and feed on breath. I don't breathe, that's why it left me. It's your call if you want to engage in melee, but I recommend ranged."

    It's only a 5' free move for him to step to the edge and have high ground advantage on this thing. He focuses his energies defensively to cast CSW and then touches the thing with holy power for a whopping 31 PE damage. Already some of the essence of this dread evil is diminished. As soon as the powerful flash of holy energy is released, it has a secondary effect. Lazer is surrounded by a holy light that covers the entire rear half of the ship.

    R1T17: Darrius, what do you do? It's a 40-foot straightline to the voidwraith. If you try melee, you'd have to take a full round plus a move action to be able to attack.

    Ka'Xet on deck ...

    ..............................................

    Elsewhere

    There was an emergency canteen of water and three days of rations. He'd done his best to ration the water and food, but they’ve long since been used up. He had the tarp that covered the lifeboat to keep him safe from the elements at night, but in the day he couldn't be under the tarp or the tropical sun would boil him. He was badly chapped and burned, his light and minimal fisherman’s clothing was disintegrating as salt water ate into it, and his strength had left him.

    Time passes. He's not sure, but this was a couple of weeks ago. His youthful body and nerve keep him going as he had nothing to do but lay in the boat to die or be rescued. In his delirium, he begged Procan to forgive him … trying to negotiate with an invisible god to have mercy on him. Whether that mercy is a quick death or rescue, he have ceased to care which, even going so far as favoring the former.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-26 at 03:22 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #955
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius begins to shine with the same silvery light, but it shines forth stronger than it has in the past. Wisps of blue light mix with the aura as he stands ready to face the wraith, warping the melds clinging to his body. The goggles on his head quickly begin to dissolve, the resulting blue-black smoke spinning around him as he focuses his power. Essentia floods out for half a moment before the smoke draws into a torc around his neck.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Incarnum Radiance, +2 to AC
    Full Round: Rapid Meldshaping. Truthseeker Goggles for Dissolving Spittle, as that'd probably be my best bet for a ranged option for this.
    Swift: 2 in Spit, 2 in Boots, 2 in Bracers
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self


    Married a year already? 0.0

  26. - Top - End - #956
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T17: Darrius begins to shine with the same silvery light, but it shines forth stronger than it has in the past. Wisps of blue light mix with the aura as he stands ready to face the wraith, warping the melds clinging to his body. The goggles on his head quickly begin to dissolve, the resulting blue-black smoke spinning around him as he focuses his power. Essentia floods out for half a moment before the smoke draws into a torc around his neck.

    R1T15: Ka'Xet, because of how long it takes you ... you get up out of your hammock, get to the ladder and up onto deck with your mindblade out. The only thing you got out of what Mr. Cohen said is that this thing you now see ... floating 10' from you as it attacks Mr. Forol ... steals breath.

    R1T14-11: The boatswain and rigger both pop out of the aft hatch and onto deck, but more behind Ka'Xet. Both have weapons drawn.

    R1T10.9: Celiss, you are going over your temporal studies and you hear the alarum. You only hear a little bit of the shouting, though. As with others, it would take you a full round to get up and out onto deck. Is that what you do? Or, do you take time with a spell?
    ...........................................

    Elsewhere

    Jer'el hears splashes around him. Soft splashes, but he hears them. Fish. If only he can reach and grab them, as a whole school of them – swimming and jumping a little – splash by, perhaps he can at least last a little while longer with raw fish in his belly. He reaches out and several times. It’s a fool’s try, but he is near madness with dehydration, malnourishment, and sunstroke. His movements become frenetic and he falls into the water. There is a line that goes all around the lifeboat at 2’ intervals, but in his current weakened state he worries if he could get back in it. No matter. He has to try for some fish, and perhaps in the water he might have a better chance. He can feel them rushing, but it’s actually more difficult because with his lack of strength he has to hold the lifeline with one hand.

    Then it happens. Something … something else … rubs past him. And it isn’t one of these smaller fish. He knows what it is before it circles around and shows its fin. Despite all of his training and knowledge he panics and splashes wildly as he desperately tries to pull himself back into the boat. But he is too weak to even lift his weight up, let alone over the gunwale.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-27 at 02:10 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground
     
    UserClone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    One-Eye awakens and lazily stretches with a yawn that becomes a roar of irritation.

    "GET UP, YE LAZY DEVILS AN' EARN YER KEEP!"

    With that, he snatches his trusty pistol and its accoutrements. Checking that his holdout weapon, a dagger, is in its sheath on his calf (where it remains even when he sleeps), he zips up the stairs.

    Seeing the shadowy figure with the glowing eyes, he takes careful aim.

    Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"


  28. - Top - End - #958
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    The above is the refinement for One-Eye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    One-Eye & Kahir Unless you did anything special, you really need to get to a spot where you could see the danger ... a full round, which is why I steamrolled the goings on. Celiss, on the other hand, might do a variety of tricky magicky-stuff before showing up.

    Celiss ...
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #959
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet readies to fling his mindblade at the voidwraith and will manifest another while bursting (if needed) to flank the thing.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  30. - Top - End - #960
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    As with One-Eye, the above is the RP refinement for Ka'Xet.

    Celiss? Your turn.
    ........................................

    Elsewhere

    There’s the fin! Even more panic as Jer'el now pants and makes moaning, low screams and sounds of denial. Fear gets him up high enough that his belly is on the edge and his face and arms are in the boat. It doesn’t matter. He is plunged into the greatest pain he has ever known … beyond anything he has ever imagined. He feels his body lift straight up off the gunwale. His body is as if it were standing straight up with his legs at the knees in the mouth of the shark. But he can’t even focus on what he sees, or on any details of the shark. He gets slammed against the boat as it thrashes in a blood frenzy. It lifts him again, and this time you goes down the sharks gullet to the upper part of his thighs, his screams echoing across the open ocean. Again and again he is slammed nearly senseless against the boat. He wishes he were senseless to be able to escape the pain, but that is not to happen.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-11-30 at 03:23 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •