New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

Celiss steps in, maybe not taking quite the orders of the captain, but he's capable.

She goes over to One-Eye, looking at Mr. Cohen and Sister Desiria. She takes the pistol and spends a minute trying to figure out exactly how to use it and to set the powder, paper, and ball. She gets up, moves further into the hold ... closer to where Thunderstrike, Avner Meravanchi's horse, is penned.

She fires the pistol into lumber supplies with an incredibly loud
    "BANG!!!"

I bet Thunderstrike is going nuts right now.

"Silence spell," she says. "Bards and clerics mostly have this spell. Whoever our killer is, they have to have abilities and spells of stealth to move around undetected. The work of the swordsmanship leaves me to believe that the killer is definitely a bard. Looks like with One-Eye's breeches pulled up as they are, he was seduced by spell or skill. That nails it to a bard-assassin for me.

"Captain, I think this assassin has been with us since Sasserine. They're probably the same person that let loose that pickled mephit. Instead of stealth, a simple open cantrip could have allowed a saboteur to open the jar from a concealed position.

"I'd say look for anyone who has one or more decent wounds, piercing and gunshot. But, as a bard of at least moderately capable skill, he might have healed himself by now. We need to look for bloodied clothing, ask everyone when they last saw One-Eye and who he might have been with.

"It may be uncomfortable, but I recommend we do a thorough search of the ship, round up everyone, and have Mr. Cohen look for evil."

The winged angel Celiss looks around to those who might be listening, but only gives furtive glances to Hifestus.
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-01-26 at 03:16 AM.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Colossus in the Playground

Smoke billows when the pistol is fired. Thunderstrike is startled by the report and kicks some, unused to the sound, but he is a warhorse of excellent breeding and calms down quickly enough without too much trouble.

Hifestus and Jer'el, continuing their search in the hold, find a cranny up high on top of cargo. It seems to be where someone had hidden for some time. Jer'el can "taste" with his tentacles that some sweat had built up over time there. Someone definitely had a lot of will to stuff themselves up there so as not to be noticed when One-Eye came in for supplies.

"Excellent deductions," says Captain Wavebreaker. "Well, at least we know from where he was operating. Though, given the seduction possibility with One-Eyed Willy, I'm thinking it's a woman. Jer'el, look at what signs you can and see if you can't track something. We'll get Korian out of the nest to help and send Skald in his place. You both track well, and he's good at sniffing things out."

Except for Hifestus and Desiria for now, all of the colonists are ordered to remain out of the passageways and in berthing. Jer'el aids Korian once he gets down ... almost like a hound and its master as Korian is on all fours.

It doesn't take long for them to give up, noting the assassin hid their bleeding and scent too well.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #1023

The captain brings the lot of you topside. (Korian, intimidating as he is, is made to watch the berthing area so that no one tries to go anywhere.)

"Lirith," he asks the rigger. "Signal the Blue Nixie with horn and flag to let them know that there has been murder and that we are dropping anchor.

"Ms. Venkalie, prepare the crew to drop anchor!"

"Aye, aye, cap'n."

As the crew signals, preps, and drops anchor, the captain looks to Desiria. "The ability to detect malice in someone isn't perfect, and may be hidden magically. I'd like to back that up with good old-fashioned eyesight. Sister Desiria, I'm going to take an hour to reshape my melds to create a pair of incarnum lenses to make my vision sharper. Do you have a spell on hand, or one that you can pray for, that can further give me sharp eyes?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember, in my campaigns you can change out your remaining spell selection by praying (studying, meditating, whatever) for one hour. You don't recover spells, but the remaining spell slots you have can be changed.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

There is one spell, called Channel Vigour which will make a person more perceptive, in terms of their vision. Other than that, there are a few spells which can detect malice, but they can be countered. If the former is what you are looking for, it will take me a little time in prayer and meditation to be able to cast it. I should warn you though, its a spell I have never cast in my life.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss says to Desiria, "That's alright. Mr. Cohen has the latter covered. Maybe if you put that and owl's wisdom on him to increase his overall insight."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft to have heard of channeled vigour (1d20+19)[36]
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PSinger View Post
    Celiss says to Desiria, "That's alright. Mr. Cohen has the latter covered. Maybe if you put that and owl's wisdom on him to increase his overall insight."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft to have heard of channeled vigour [roll0]
    That I can do as well, with even a few more minutes of prayer
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #1027

An hour passes as the crew, topside and belowdecks, keeps the passengers sequestered. One-Eye made his last meal last night to be warmed today. (Somehow, even One-Eye managed to make a simple porridge taste great. His Profession: Cook +11 will be sorely missed.) Tavey is allowed to go back and forth with the porridge, biscuits, a piece of fruit, and water for each passenger.

Mr. Cohen and Ms. Venkalie bring an irascible and unhappy Avner Meravanchi down from the would-be captain's stateroom. "There's a murderer about, and you want me out of the safety of the cabin?! There will be hell to pay for this, I assure you."

Despite this, he does seem to quickly fill in with the other passengers. There is safety in numbers, after all.

As the Blue Nixie finally moves into position and drops anchor about a hundred yards out, Mr. Cohen flies out to give an update to Lady Lavinia, and then flies back. "She said that our plan seems sound, we need to handle it, and we can't transfer anyone or else the killer might then be anywhere on board either ship."

The captain unshapes his blue boot coverings. Instead, the incarnum forms a pair of transparent blue lenses that hover in front of his eyes. They are quite blue as he puts a great amount of soul energy into them. At the same time, Desiria prays for her spells.
    I swapped out delay poison for owl's wisdom, and channel vigor for enthrall.

The passengers (including Hifestus, but not Desiria) are brought topside to the midships while their belongings are searched below. Hifestus will note that while he was invited to search the hold at the time, the crew is now performing the search and you are made to hang out topside with everyone else. Word is sent back that while several passengers might own this or that weapon ... frontier life is dangerous, after all, as is sea travel ... none have the smell of blood on them.

The Captain says, "Sister Desiria, Mr. Cohen, your aid in spells and sight, please."

Mr. Cohen begins his view of the passengers to look for emanations of evil, while Sister Desiria casts her spells on the captain. "We well know that unless our assassin is actually steeped into evil powers, a minor killer might well not even show. However, given the skill of our guest, I'm sure if she's in this crowd, she'll have enough blood on her hands to show."
    Spoiler
    Show
    The assumption was made that Desiria cast the spells since that is what was set. Also, please note how detect evil has changed. An evil character/ monster of less than 5 HD that is not a cleric/ paladin/ outsider/ undead, or other special class or creature doesn't show up on evil-dar anymore. Just because you think evil thoughts, until you've proven yourself to have a conviction of evil (such as in 6+ HD), you really haven't been truly stained.

Obviously, this has no effect on spells that affect evil persons. A paladin's smite against a 4th-level LE hobgoblin fighter still has full normal effect.

After Mr. Cohen's look, he whispers to the Captain. The captain then steps down from the poop deck to slowly move in front of a woman. She looks straight ahead, looking nervous ... but no more nervous than any of the passengers. When Darrius stands in front of her and stops, she seems to have some shortness of breath. The woman is extremely attractive, with spring green eyes and orange hair.

Desiria recognizes that after only half a minute her spell has surely dissipated.

The captain snaps his fingers and points to Mr. Kahir, who moves up behind her. Kahir produces - from nowhere - a beam of light energy, and then splits it into two, one for each hand. Each held beams is the size of a short sword, and has a sort of low whirring sound; quite intimidating.

"I'm not the killer, I'm not the killer ... please ...." she whispers in low gasping breaths of fear. "I get this all the time ... my heritage ... people always ... always trying to kill me or run me off once there's a priest around. It's just the way I was born."

Korian moves to her left, sniffing her out. "Not human. Some type of .. animal? I smell the thick dander of fur."

He listens to the woman's heart. "Very powerful heart. As strong as yours, Captain."

"Well," says Darrius, "on your knees, come to your natural form, and tell us who you are. I want the rest of the crew ready to fall on her with hammer, sword, tooth, and spell if she tries anything."

She kneels, and her form changes. As her height lengthens and her frame becomes more expansive, the orange hair on her head seems to grow across the length of her body, seeming to swallow her clothes. As the orange hair covers her, her torso becomes white. Her flanks and tail become striped with black. Her face turns into the broad face of a greater cat, which includes the base orange, the black striping (though it becomes almost nonexistent here, and a white tuft under the chin). She is still humanoid, coming in at about 6-1/2 feet tall with a powerful build (if she is still a 'she'). She has an extremely powerful-looking series of canine teeth.

The most bizarre aspect of her features, however, are her hands. The palms are upturned, with the thumbs facing away from her body. For all of the rest, this physical aspect is easily the most unsettling.

The only thing the four PCs can tell is that this is some type of tiger humanoid, but the mystery of the palms is entirely unknown to you.

"Rakshasa," says Mr. Cohen.

Captain Wavebreaker is nodding his head. "A creature of unremitting evil that travels in the realms of man, looking to gain others to serve them."

Cohen turns to his fellows. "Rakshasas come from another world, but have long since made a presence here."

"Send tha' killin' aberration into the drink!" shouts Ms. Venkalie.

"Say the word, Captain, and I'll run this bitch through her 'strong heart' and prove that it's nothing but flesh," adds Lirith.

The other passengers, who might've murmured in her behalf earilier (seems she's very well liked) now shout imprecations and their feelings of horror.

"My name is Agnipati," she says with a very rapid patter to try and get as much out before they killer her or gag her, "all I know is that I am sort of rakshasa, but I've never met another of my kind. If I have a stain of evil, it is because I have had to kill those who cornered me just for my heritage, and perhaps the stain of my heritage itself. I sought passage on this ship to start a new life far away from larger civilizations, but I need social contact ... I'm not an animal. So, I've prayed to Celestian in my stray life, and then he presented me with this opportunity. But I'm not your killer ... I need this voyage and I'm not about to sabotage it by killing anyone, let alone the guy that made that incredible potato, leek, and mahi-mahi soup. Lavinia allowed my application as a colonist because I'm a decent carpenter, but I'm very good at training animals; she figured that the colony will need someone like me who is very good at training whatever local animals there might be around Farshore. I'm particularly good with a spear, and if we meet pirates, I can prove myself."

Darrius and Lazer confer quietly, then turn around. "We can attest to the aura of one's race lingering on the person regardless of that person's action and intent. While I am more than prone to answer the call of some of my crew and the other passengers, most vocal of which is Lord Meravanchi here, my first mate has pointed out that in addition to the above, we need evidence of wrongdoing. If you have committed any crimes, they weren't under the jurisdiction of this ship.

"But, because of the danger you may represent, we shall tie you to the mizzenmast. Rest assured, it is not pleasant. You will be given some fish and some water, as I can tell just from your teeth you are at least an omnivore, if not a predator like your tiger-form suggests. Once we have an autopsy of One-Eye and find the killer, we'll think about whether we free you or make you walk the plank for own safety."

The passengers are getting frothy angry, and Lord Meravanchi doesn't help. "We already have a woman who is a devil here. Shall we stand for more evil? Captain, make us feel at ease. I say we make her walk the plank and take her chances in the sea! PLANK HER!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil-woman?! Hifestus, Desiria? Who is this devil woman he speaks of?

[ooc]Remember, neither of you have seen Celiss in her real form. Since pulling into Ft. Blackwell, she has taken on a seemingly lesser angelic form.[/ooc]

To which the colonists shout:
    PLANK HER!
    PLANK HER!
    PLANK HER!
    PLANK HER!

It looks like things could get out of hand quickly. The crew could put the colonists down easily enough for sure, but not without some casualties. That's if they don't just make her walk the plank.

What do the PCs do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-01-28 at 06:08 AM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Unwilling to overstep her bounds by speaking to the crew and passengers without permission just yet, but not willing to let a potentially non-evil person suffer an unjust fate, Desiria steps forward to hurridly confer with the Captain.

Begging your pardon Captain, but I might be able to offer an alternative here. With a bit more prayer, I can request another spell from Myhriss, one that might shed a bit more light on this affair. It is a Zone of Truth spell, and under its effects, a person cannot lie. I could cast it, you could order her not to resist its effect OOC: Voluntarily failing 'saving throw' and then we tell her to repeat what she just said.
    If she refuses to allow it to affect her, or attempts to change some parts of her story, well, that would condemn her just as much.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Hifestus

Hifestus also speaks up in the woman's defense.

"Come now you lot, I will not be part of murdering someone without proof, evil or not,"
    he says and despite himself his hair starts to flicker, like sparks setting to a fire.

"Why would she kill One-Eye? Has anyone seen her speaking to him at all? The fight clearly was vicious, would a . . . . creature like this young woman have continued to use a piercing weapon when she had such basic natural weapons at her disposal? We did not find a claw or fang wound on his body."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

10. - Top - End - #1030

Captain Wavebreaker responds to Desiria. "Fair enough. Do it. Use my stateroom to get away from this noise so you can concentrate. Korian, go with her for safety."

Hifestus gets shouted down, barely being heard by the commotion.

Ms. Venkalie growls to Hifestus and speaks up. "Listen to me!"

The crowd brings it down to a murmur. "Your fellow passenger here," she points to Hifestus, "says this aberration didn't use her accursed teeth and claws .... because she grabbed One-Eye's own magical sword and skewered him with it many times!! It was his own weapon turned against him ... not only an act of murder, but one of insult! What? Shall she twirl my guts with a boat hook and hang our rigger, Lirith, with her own ropes?

"Captain,"
    she pleads, "there will be no safety while this ... thing ... is onboard."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-01-28 at 04:37 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Before things can get out of hand with the crew and the passengers, Desiria steps forward with the authority of the Captain behind her.

I have a method that will hopefully shed more light on this. I can petition Myhriss for a spell that will not allow a person to lie in its presence. I will pray for this spell and then use it on Agnipati, having her repeat all she has just said. The spell will not allow her to lie. If she refuses to undergo this test, I will leave her to your justice. I will return when I have been granted this spell

Desiria heads off to the captains stateroom to pray for her spell.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #1032

Desiria keeps trying to get out what she has to say, but it's no use .... the colonists shout her down as well.

"Quick. To the stateroom, though I don't know if I can satisfy them for the hour," urges the captain.

In truth, it well may be that an hour for a spell may be far too late.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss will fly down in long, slow wide circles. She looks at Avener, will he or no as she flies around and says, "Come now. If we disobey the captain's request for a stay of - planking, was it? - then we have a whole mutiny issue. Think how that will make you look in front of Lady Lavinia, hmm? She is beautiful, isn't she? Don't you think joining houses and, well, whatever else you can think of, will make you finally accepted in your house?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm person SLA, AW. Only a DC 13, but if not him, she can go, round by round, and calm others. This might buy some time. She'll only target the more rambunctious ones. Hifestus she leaves alone.
    Current Games

14. - Top - End - #1034

Over the next two minutes, Avner and eight other colonists seem to calm down.

"Very well," calls the young Lord Meravanchi to Celiss. "But the plan proposed by the captain must be, or else we have to give her to the ocean and put her in Procan's care. Be she the assassin or no, we have to think of our safety and peace of mind.

"We cannot sleep, Captain, until you've made this ship safe again."

In the interim, Agnipati is well tied to the mizzenmast with little sense of circulatory comfort or mercy by Ms. Venkalie and Lirith, with the prisoner facing aft.

"I want all the passengers towards the bow of the ship," says the Captain.

The time passes, and Desiria comes out having prayed for the past hour.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Desiria, what 2nd-level spell do you swap out for zone of truth? While you're at it, do you do any other swap-outs?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Swapping out Augury

Having done her prayers, Desiria comes back to the captured prisoner.
    Ms. Venkalie, Lord Meravanchi, would you like to bear witness to this...interogation, along with the Captain and any representatives he deems appropriate?

She turns back to Agnipati.
    As you can no doubt understand, the people on this ship do not trust you or your story. With my magic, I can at least offer some proof that will keep them from making you walk the plank. But you must first promise me that you will not try to resist this spell and then you will repeat, word for word, the story you just told us. I am a priestess of Myhriss, you can trust that this spell is not an attack on you....but if you dont agree, then I cannot promise that they will not exact their form of justice on you.

If she agrees, Desiria will cast her zone of truth and then call on her to repeat her defense, and she will listen carefully to make sure she doesnt try to slip in little changes to what she says.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-01-29 at 10:21 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

Though she hates the puffy braggart, Celiss understands that the Meravanchi's helped to pay for this expedition. She has herself and Meravanchi witness.
    Current Games

17. - Top - End - #1037

The Captain, Mr. Cohen, Mr. Kahir, Ms. Venkalie, Celiss, and Lord Avner are kept on hand to witness the interrogation. Agnipati agrees to allow the magic to wash over her, and Desiria casts her spell.

"My name is Agnipati," she says with much greater calm than before, and with much greater charm than desperation. "I do not know whose daughter I truly am, but I am the adopted daughter of a powerful maharajah far to the east, given him for an unknown reason or currency, 26 years ago. I was not an unknown changeling to the family and immediate court, but unknown to my father's people. They encouraged my racial abilities very early in my life, and not to fear them. I know I am a rakshasa from stories and what planar studies I have made, though I only have rudimentary knowledge.

"Though I was never a brilliant student, I was considered a mathematical prodigy. This was put to use in three ways: astronomy (and similar arcane theories), architecture (the beauty of proportion), and the spear (which can create the most varied geometries of all the weapons one can find in any arsenal).

"Regimes rise. Regimes fall. My father's kingdom was taken by another, and that is the way of things. I fought well, but I escaped. In the battle, I exhibited traits that are unknown among the lore of rakshasa. Please don't ask for a 'circus show' here, for it is as potentially off-putting as your false angel there, who since she saw Hifestus, she changed from devil-form to this one because she thinks she is smitten. We are sisters, for we both have natures in us that are inherently evil, and we both have our struggles with morality."

Luckily for Celiss, Hifestus is forward with the passengers. But here that does Celiss no good, as her wings droop and her cheeks briefly turn the same crimson as her normal form - and you can even see the scales - before she can control herself. Agnipati definitely hit something there; it seems that she is extremely observant, for she was one of the colonists that came aboard during changeout in Ft. Blackwell.

"Instead of Fharlanghn, which is more of a dirt-kicker's travel-god, I chose to worship the true traveler, Celestian. I have allowed the stars to guide me as they will. And here I am, after many of my own adventures, tied to a mizzenmast on a ship named the Sea Nixie, heading to a new life on the south seas, or to a death in the south seas, as you will have it."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-01-30 at 01:56 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss knows that everyone on the ship knew about her, save Desiria, Hifestus, another colonist that came aboard. Somehow Agnipati knew, and it's pointless to hide it. Celiss looks down, not at those in the interrogation, not back towards the forward part of the ship with the passengers (and Hifestus). She simply lets the ribbon in her hair turn into an iron circlet as she turns into her diabolical form: 5'11", thickly built, brown-red eyes, rust-brown hair, dark red scales, and even small horns and a tail. She flies up into the rigging to hide behind a sail.

Celiss at ones feels some sense of rivalry with Agnipati. Until now, she considered her burden almost her self-righteous badge; but now with this rakshasa, she has lost this sense of individuality. How dare you be as tragic as I?

Celiss rebukes herself in her mind, and yet that anger appears again. It won't go away, it burns red hot. He could have come to love me for who I am as an angel, and then I would slowly have told him. But now this bitch thinks she can just start dropping stones like that in an interrogation where she is made to tell the truth? and how the hell did she know, anyway?

She looks at Avner and the calmer Ms. Venkalie. "And to think, I was the one to keep them from just tossing her into the sea in the first place."
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-01-30 at 04:37 AM.
    Current Games

19. - Top - End - #1039

Captain Wavebreaker looks to Desiria, then back to Agnipati. "Do you intend to betray, through actions direct or indirect, the officers and crew of this vessel, its passengers, the ship or held materials itself, or the expedition .... including the Blue Nixie and all persons and materials associated with that vessel as well ... in any way?"

"No."

"Can you sail?"

"I was an ABS on The Fall of the North, out of Bharat, for about six months. I wasn't there long enough to be more than
    that, and spent most of my time as a lookout."

"Can you climb and move about the rigging comfortably."

"Expert, whether my palms be up or down."

"Good. I only have one crew member dedicated to the nest, the other is a friend and volunteer, and even then the load would be shared. Besides, the distance might make others feel better. Gear?"

"This magic cloak and pair of gloves, and by my hammock is a magical spear plus six other normal ones."

"Can you use them well enough?"

"I haven't met my equal, but I'm wise enough to know there's always a longer spear."

The captain pauses at " ... haven't met my equal" part, but continues. "You stay on the mizzenmast here until we solve the mystery of the killer. After that, you don't get to laze around like a passenger. You want to come aboard under false pretenses, being disguised? Fine, Lady Lavinia vouched for you. But you don't get a free ride. We're down one crewmember and congratulations, you're it.

"You're a dirty deck seaman, so even after watch, you have maintenance of your section of ship (Ms. Venkalie will show you). You answer to the chain-of-command, and Ms. Venkalie will show you what that means on this ship. Your marriage to sleep is now annulled. Any questions?"

"No, sir."

Darrius turns around to the rest of the passengers and crew. "Urol, you have the helm.

"Mr. Cohen, you and Desiria stay here to watch Agnipati and keep the passengers calm.

"Celiss, get over yourself, fly down, and you and I will check my .... Lord Meravanchi's ... stateroom.

"Lirith, check all overboard lines.

"Ms. Venkalie, go down with Mr. Kahir and lock down all hatches going to the bilge and lower hold as well as to the aft hold. Then report when done."

The crew does as tasked. Mr. Kahir reports all hold hatches locked, and the stateroom appears safe. Lirith notes that all lines are at standad weight, and she climbed over the side to make sure the anchor was clear. She also used lines all along the length of the ship, especially at the outboard aft part of the ship (underneath the poop deck extension) to make sure there was no one hiding there.

Once that first phase is done, Jer'el, Celiss, and Lirith check the forward part of the first deck starting with the head, and begin working their way from forward to aft slowly (all searches are slow and methodical). Korian, Mr. Kahir, and .... since he's armed for war .... Hifestus ... are sent down to check from aft to forward on the same deck. Both parties will meet in the middle and check berthing. For general purpose, the teams do find Agnipati's gear as described above.

Once the "all clear" is given, Mr. Kahir, Jer'el, and Korian unlock the first lower hold grate while the other team stands in ready topside. They do a full search belowdecks to no avail.

That leaves one place remaining ... the after hold where it all began ... unless she's found a way to bypass the "beating of the bush" thus far.

Captain Wavebreaker stands topside above the aft hatch in case she slides by and tries to move up. Mr. Cohen is at the forward hatch, which is still in the vicinity of colonists to calm. (Desiria is not given a guard position, as she would be perceived a liability.)

The entrance order into the hold (in order, and the will NOT all fit) is Korian, Lirith, Ms. Venkalie, Jer'el, Mr. Kahir, Celiss, and then Hifestus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, Hifestus, but in the official capacity of "colonist" the crew's purpose includes protecting you. They'll take whatever hand you have to give ... but you can't go throwing yourself at it.

The hatch is unlocked and opened. Korian sniffs the air. "She's in here."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1040

Jer'el (Celiss and Hifestus can't quite see), Korian instinctively bats something away, and what wasn't there before now appears. A woman with red hair and a rapier. She looks like she might be a stunning beauty if she cleaned up. She recovers from a thrust that Korian blocked.

R1T24: Hifestus, you don't hear anything, and you are backed up so that you are coming out of the forward hatch a little. If there is something to think of doing in case something happens and bad girl gets your way, let me know .... as well as weapons you have in hand (buckler is assumed).

R1T23: "Assassin-bitch in the hold!" comes Lirith's cry from below. Jer'el sees that Lirith tries something really ballsy in trying to acrobatically move past Korian and past the assassin ... right under her nose ... because the sides are blocked off with goods. Lirith is a gifted acrobat, however, and she manages to do it. It isn't pretty, but it gets the job done. The assassin's rapier deflects the stronger woman's falchion.

R1T14: Mr. Kahir does not fill in the hole where Lirith was. Instead, he tosses one of his two light blades which hits her in the very low abdomen for 7 NL damage.

R1T11: Jer'el, either you can shoot from right behind Mr. Kahir (no penalty), or move into the 5' square right behind Korian (in front of whom is the enemy). If the first, you can do a full attack or even rapid shot; with the latter, you are closer if Korian falls and to further block any escape attempt, but you only get one shot.

What do you do?

Celiss, you will be able to move forward into whatever cleared space on your next turn.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1041

RogueGuy

Hifestus

*While forward with the other colonists, Hifestsus would have been attempting to use diplomacy to keep people calm*

Following the others, Hifestsus straps on his buckler and draws his two enchanted hammers, Forge and Striker. His hair flickers back and forth and he is annoyed that he is not up front, he can find things better than most.

He prepares himself to advance if space permits or block anyone who may attempt to rush past.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

22. - Top - End - #1042

Hifestus squeezes forward and gets to a spot right behind Korian (who in turn is facing this woman, and Lirith flanking on the other side of her). The squeezing through, however, takes up his effort for the round.

Jer'el, your go. The space is now squeezed off. The best that you can do now is to fire at the woman, though you are an expert at shooting into melee.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1043

R1T12: Following the others, Hifestsus straps on his buckler and draws his two enchanted hammers, Forge and Striker. His hair flickers back and forth and he is annoyed that he is not up front, since he can find things better than most. He prepares himself to advance if space permits or block anyone who may attempt to rush past. Once Lirith moves past to the other side of the assassin and Mr. Kahir gets off his shot, Hifestus squeezes forward and gets to a spot right behind Korian (who in turn is facing this woman, and Lirith flanking on the other side of her). The squeezing through, however, takes up his effort for the round.

R1T11: Jer'el takes a single probing shot at the woman, hitting her in the belly for 14 damage.

R1T10: Ms. Venkalie, the foul-mouthed could-be-a-pirate-if-given-the-chance, begins to recite a monologue from a play that stirs the hearts of the allies, giving their attacks resolve and purpose and steeling their minds against fear.

R1T7: Celiss, you're up!
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-02 at 05:09 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss casts haste.
    Current Games

25. - Top - End - #1045

R1T7: Celiss casts haste, and it is as if the world slows down around Lirith, Korian, Hifestus, Jer'el, and Mr. Kahir.

R1T6: The assassin now seems to take a more defensive, tactical stance. She whirls around with rapier and buckler, her cloak swirling around distractingly as well, after which she stabs Lirith through her right hand for 16 damage, after which her hand begins to bleed profusely.

"Aughh! You sea-witch!" cries Lirith in pain and anger.

R1T4: Desiria, stepping down into the passageway where Hifestus was is just a 5' step. The order is as follows:
    Lirith >>> Hannah <<< Korian, Hifestus, Ms. Venkalie, Jer'el, Mr. Kahir, Celiss, Desiria

You are currently filled with a sense of resolve that is greater even than what a bless could provide, so soulful a drama of a sea maiden does Ms. Venkalie recount.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria steps forward, and although she is not up front, she only needs to be able to see her opponent to launch a magic missile at her, a spell that carries no danger of hitting her allies in melee

Spoiler
    Show
    (3d4+3)[10]
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #1047

R1T4: Desiria steps forward, and although she is not up front, she only needs to be able to see her opponent to launch a magic missile at her - a spell that carries no danger of hitting her allies in melee. It pounds into the woman for 10 force damage.

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T23: Lirith, despite Ms. Venkalie's words and Celiss' magic, can't get either of her attacks to touch the brilliant rapier-and-buckler defense of the assassin.

R2T22: "Captain!" roars Korian. "It's Rowyn Kellani! She's alive!"

His low crouch, similar to someone whose about to spring with as much power as they can, relaxes oh-so-slightly. He moves his claws about him and a cold mist forms around him.

He claws at her, the first connecting just under the ribs for 12 (max) damage. She manages to block the second, but then he ducks low and bites her in the foot for 4 damage. She is now feeling the effects of her wounds. But he is fast enough to claw her again, this time scoring right across her upper left chest and into the flesh of her right breast for 12 damage.

R2T15: A slight pause from above, then the captain's voice, "I understand."

R2T14: Mr. Kahir throws a mindblade (even as it is reformed in his hand), but putting an exceptional amount of focus into it, but Rowyn's skilled defense has it bouncing off her shield as it dissipates. He throws another, but to the same effect.

R2T12: Hifestus, what do you do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lirith >>> Rowyn <<< Korian, Hifestus, Ms. Venkalie, Jer'el, Mr. Kahir, Celiss, Desiria
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1048

RogueGuy

Hifestus

Without a word, only a guttural growl, Hifestus closes in to attack. His hair flickers as if its on fire and his eyes glow redder, a blaze being stoked.

(Hifetus will attempt to full attack if he can close in, flank if possible.)

29. - Top - End - #1049

You can't get past Korian because Rowyn is right there, and then Lirith after that. It's only 5' wide section. Even where Rowyn and Lirith are in the hold, it's 5' wide little passageways because of all of the cargo.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1050

RogueGuy

(Hifestus will remain prepared in case the assassin attempts flight)