New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

R2T12: Without a word, only a guttural sound, Hifestus is poised to attack should the assassin seek to get by him. His hair flickers as if its on fire and his eyes glow redder, a blaze being stoked.

R2T11: Jer'el, what do you do? You also can't get up to Rowyn (you are three persons behind Korian. I imagine you continue to shoot ...

Venkalie will continue playing, and then it will be your turn, Celiss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Positioning...

Lirith >>> Rowyn <<< Korian, Hifestus, Ms. Venkalie, Jer'el, Mr. Kahir, Celiss, Desiria
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

With so little options left to him, Jer'el continues shooting at the assassin...

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid Shot
    (1d20+14)[34]
    (1d8+9)[17]
    (1d20+14)[15]
    (1d8+9)[11]
    (1d20+9)[15]
    (1d8+9)[14]
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

3. - Top - End - #1053

R2T11: With so little options left to him, Jer'el continues shooting at the assassin... then again, that's what he does best. His first shot was nearly perfect, but Rowyn's brilliant defense keeps the arrow from hitting her heart, as it hits her in the left shoulder for a still-whalloping 18 damage! His next two arrows miss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Be sure to check the results of your hit. The first hit you made was actually a '20' on the die roll ... a crit threat. Because these were three separate attack rolls, I rolled the crit confirm separately (which didn't crit) ...

As well as the 'fumble' check for the second attack, which was a natural '1' on the die. Anytime you get a 20 or a 1 to hit, be sure to roll the attack (with the same bonus that threatened a crit) along with what bonus damage there is. For a threatened fumble, just the attack roll.
    [Forgot: Haste] Jer'el, still moving at blinding speed, lets off yet another arrow that hits the woman in her inner right hip for 17 damage.

She is barely standing at first, but her wounds catch up with the nonlethal she received from Mr. Kahir's thrown mindblade and she falls.

Kahri calls to Desiria, "Quick! Lirith is bleeding pretty badly. Everybody make a whole for the Myhrissian!"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-10 at 11:27 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm assuming that we are out of initiative and people are parting for Desiria, which would include me since she's behind Celiss.

Celiss is filled with rage as she stares down the hallway to the unconscious woman.

"We killed you once, Rowyn Kellani," she shouts getting more rabid as she goes, "and probably due to your powerful mother, you thought to have returned, but there is a reckoning in the universe that demands its due!"

As she finishes shouting, a mote of energy appears a couple of feet above Rowyn. The energy releases, but not as a burst so much as facets of light that lead to squares that build into a grid that envelops everyone in the hallway with these extremely rigid, mathematically absolute energies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Order's wrath
    (2d8)[16] lawful energy, CL check (1d20+5)[22]
    >> Chaotic creatures: Damage + dazed one round. Will DC 16 for half damage, negates dazed.
    >> Neutral: No blindness. Half damage, or save for quarter damage.
    >> Lawful: No damage.

Wow. This is the first time she ever let forth with this power, and it does max damage.
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-02-11 at 02:41 AM.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

5. - Top - End - #1055

Results
    Desiria, you are totally taken aback by such energies. Since it was an innate power, you didn't know what to expect as the power surged too quickly to register. Your balanced focus helps you, but as a sorceress whose magics are inborn and must be firmly reigned in, this strange power (which you don't recognize) practically seeks you out ... well, not exactly you as you only take 8 damage ... but the place where you have concentrated that inborn power.

Your ring. It is as squares turn sideways to diamond-shapes to cut through your ring as the energies pass through you. Your bonded ring drops to the floor in several neatly cut geometric shapes, and yet in some form of melted/resolidified slag.

Hifestus, the pure precision of this burst of energy is so beautiful and so finely crafted, that it is the model to which you aspire to bring to your own artistry.

Jer'el, you have no understanding of these magics as they pass through you for 8 damage.

Mr. Kahir: No damage.
    Korian: 4 damage.
    Lirith: 16 damage, dazed, and still bleeds another 3 damage. She is now gravely injured and bleeding fast.
    Ms. Venkalie: As with Lirith, she likewise lives fast and free and these rigid energies also do 16 damage and daze her (dramatic dialogue ends).

At the after hatch, Jer'el sees Mr. Cohen looking down, concerned ... noting Jer'el's wounds. "What was that?!"

Captain Darrius, who moved to the top of the forward hatch above Desiria when she went down, seeing some light wounding but noting the chunked ring (even though he doesn't know it's significance). He gives a low breath outwards and in awe and worry, "Everyone pull out! You're sitting ducks out there if the assassin has magics like that! We'll find another way."

Desiria, what do you do?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Titan in the Playground

Realizing that the energies came from Celiss and are not likely to be repeated, Desiria presses forward.

Its alright Captain, that spell was cast by a crewmate favouring Celiss with a withering look and we have two people in need of my healing.

Bending down beside Lirith, and then Ms. Venkalie, she prays to Myhriss for the power to heal, applying a Cure Serious Wounds to each of the women.
    Spoiler
    Show
    swap out dispel magic and searing light

[
    Spoiler
    Show
    roll]3d8+5[/roll] Lirith
    (3d8+5)[18] Ms. Venkalie

She then looks up at Celiss

The next time you feel the need to unleash such devastation, you might want to give your allies a chance to clear the zone. A warning might be nice. Not only do you damage friend and foe alike she picks up her destroyed ring this is going to be hard to replace.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground

crap
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d8+5)[18] Lirith
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground

She bends back down to assess her patients need for further healing

Spoiler
    Show
    Available:
    5 cure lights
    1 cure moderate
    11 energy channels
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-02-11 at 09:15 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

As Desiria's eyes bore into her, Celiss' wings droop and close in around her as she hangs her head, turns, and goes topside. She flies up high in the rigging.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What have I done? screams Celiss' conscience. Order's wrath, I recognize the power from my studies in spell theory. How did that happen?

You have brought just a bit more order, however temporary, into the world.

To what end?

To end the aberration that died at justice's hands, broke universal laws to live again, and did learn nothing from this when that second chance was given. Her actions caused chaos at the feast when the voyage begain. She murdered a crewmember for no known reason, and if the illusion that is mercy were to prevail, the former guildmistress of the Lotus Dragons might cause more grief. Both lives are consigned to perdition.

But, I put my mates at extreme risk, what was the point of that? Just to try and lock in a death blow? That analysis seems poor given I could have just used a magic missile. I didn't even know I had that power.

It was much more than just a deathblow, and concerned your mates.

I don't understand.

Yes. Yes you do.

..... Factor. I have the inability detect the taint of chaos.
    ..... Analysis. With this power, though potentially deadly, the determination of those who would prove unpredictable in stress situations or fail to act in harmony with a team is now apparent, possibly through betrayal. Lirith and Amella are dangerous. Jer'el and Desiria are not entirely known, though Desiria's powers are not to be trusted. Korian is known and not entirely dangerous, but requires watching. Ka'Xet and Hifestus, at least, you can count on.

These are people, some of them my friends who were there when we killed her in the first place, with whom I've bled many times. You are unfairly critical.

Yes. Yes you are.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

*Hifestus*

Will follow the captains orders (assuming he does not see an opportune time to attack) and remain on guard for any attacks.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

11. - Top - End - #1061

Desiria chastises Celiss as she double-moves to get past everyone, over Rowyn, and around to Lirith to get to her comfortably. Lirith and Ms. Venkalie are dazed. Korian goes topside, and Darrius makes his way down and past everyone to stand where Korian was standing (next to Rowyn). Mr. Kahir, Jer'el, and Hifestus (who seems to be a little jumpy and unsure if there are other attackers) go topside as ordered. Mr. Cohen comes down the ladder, takes a quick look, and then moves right to Lirith, standing over Rowyn. Lirith continues to bleed, though she and Ms. Venkalie manage to recover their wits. Lirith slumps against cargo and slides to the ground, barely conscious.

Desiria casts a spell on Lirith, stopping the bleeding automatically.

Darrius conducts triage on Rowyn. "She's still alive."

Ms. Venkalie, not having registered the captain's order, "We should gut her while we have the chance, Captain, and give her to the sea for chum."

"No, Ms. Venkalie, though it is tempting. The ship's surgeon would take great umbrage to that. Had she been killed in battle outright, that's fine; but she's tough enough to have survived and we have a duty. Though make no mistake, I will probably make her walk the plank for this. No, she has to be awake to have judgement passed. She doesn't get to die a warrior's death, coward that she is."

Desiria moves past Rowyn/ Cohen/ Wavebreaker to cast healing on Ms. Venkalie for 18 healing, and she is now fully healed. Lirith doesn't trudge through the CO and the XO as they are over the fallen assassin. She obviously agrees with her officer, but purses her lips.

Mr. Cohen casts a simple stabilize on Rowyn, and the Captain and Lirith (who is quite strong) carry her up topside.

Desiria will aid Mr. Cohen in triage, and the latter is incredibly pleased not only in her medical skill, but in her overall ability as a helper. [Courtesy of her Aid Allies trait.]
    Desiria: You know how you're doing, and it's not that bad.
    Lirith: 50%.
    Jer'el: 90%.

Desiria moves to Korian, but Mr. Cohen says, "No need. He's fine."

From just a quick glance, Desiria notes that the small burns he received from Celiss' power are gone.

Since he is a focused healer, Mr. Cohen says he'll do the healing spells. He casts CSW on Lirith and CLW on Jer'el, healing them fully. He then casts CLW on Desiria, healing her fully.

Rowyn's belongings are collected and she is stripped of everything but her clothing. (And Lirith and Ms. Venkalie give her a very thorough check to make sure she doesn't have any hidden tools or small knives or anything.) Jer'el will retrieve the two arrows that missed Rowyn.

"Let's hear it for our crew!" calls the captain to the colonists, who clap and cheer vigorously for the brave heroes that brought the murderer down.

Mr. Cohen whispers to the captain, who in turn asks Avner Meravanchi to come forward. In private conference from the colonists, but not whispered so the PCs can hear, Darrius says, "Lord Meravanchi, I'm going to 'ask' you to be a gentleman and to relinquish my cabin. We need to keep Rowyn Kellani bound and in an area easily observable while Mr. Cohen tends to her over the next few days and we decide what to do with her. There should be room on the forward side; think of it as 'slumming' with the commoners."

Avner at first seems ready to balk, but seeing the captain, Mr. Cohen, and the fallen figure of Rowyn, he swallows down his pride and says, "Very well, but I'll remind you of the agreement we had when I came aboard."

"And I'll remind you, Lord Mervanchi," says Captain Wavebreaker, "that the agreement was one of placation and regardless of your family's phenomenal contribution to this expedition, that you are neither captain nor master of this vessel."

As Avner goes to the stateroom to collect his belongings, the Captain looks to Lirith, and then to the bound Agnipati. "The assassin has been found and defeated. I will keep my end of the bargain. Rowyn Kellani is no second-rate buffoon, but extremely dangerous. Rest assured that if you attempt to betray us, your fate may be similar."

Lirith unties the rakshasa's bonds, who in turn nods in gratitude to Lirith and the Captain. "Thank you Captain Wavebreaker. I shall endeavor to serve the Sea Sprite with vigor and loyalty."

Mr. Cohen looks to Desiria and pulls her aside for a more confidential discussion. "I am learned enough to know what was destroyed and its value to you. Celiss's job as ship's mage will be to assist you as much as possible in reforming your bond. It isn't easy, it will require some precious materials on the part of the ship ... which Celiss will owe ... but she also has a bonded ring of her own.

"In the meanwhile, you ladies can discuss what happened, but I will ask you to have some patience. I and the captain know her story and what is happening, and she has had increasing challenges.

"Tonight we shall hold One-Eye's funeral. Our prelate Father Feres, as you have seen from combat and healing, does his duty in holding vigils and counsel as asked by crew and colonist, but otherwise seems to be far simpler in his priestly posting. Will you please assist him with the ceremony? I already dispensed with any mortuary need by having cast gentle repose on Willy."

A little later, after Rowyn was sent to the stateroom and tied down (as capably as possible without killing her from the process), the Captain will have a talk with Celiss (off camera ... the advantage of IRL-RP). A little later, he will call Hifestus into his stateroom. Though Rowyn is tied down there, either the Captain or another crewmember is always on guard.

"I wanted to thank you for your assistance in all of the recent events. Mr. Kahir debriefed me. Though you didn't get a chance to actually fight, you were there in file ready to go. On behalf of the crew, and likely your fellow colonists, I'd like to extend my gratitude." He extends his hand to shake with yours. (Do you shake hands?)

"Now, on to other matters. I am short two positions: a cook and a master-at-arms. Of course, more than anything, that also means I'm short a sailor, though we'll see with Agnipati. I'd like to offer you an actual position as ship's blacksmith. You'll get to enjoy what materials we have for you to work with instead of using your own, expensive stock. You will incude some sense of authority in regards to the colonists. Finally, you'll also get a share of whatever treasure we might find in our travels, including what value we may have gotten from Rowyn that we can't effectively divvy out. The downside is that some of her items will need to be used to aid in reforming something of Sister Desiria's that was lost in battle.

"The responsibilities, however, are that you must undergo just as gritty and dirty a work detail as Agnipati or any other sailor that's not an able-bodied seaman. This isn't a function of initiation so much as it helps you gain a keen understanding of the ship and its operation in a way that simple observation will not do. Second, the latter part of your workshift - which in your favor will always include daylight hours (so no fear of night watches for you) - will be to conduct bi-weekly inspections of every bit of metalwork on the ship and conduct maintenance and repairs. Regardless of these specific duties, you will stand what watches are required - including learning to helm - and you will be officially responsible for the safety and security of the Sea Sprite and its precious cargo.

"You would be directly answerable to the ship's pilot, Mr. Kahir.

"How does this sound to you, Mr. Smithson? Would you like to join the crew? I won't hold it against you if you don't. It's not what you signed on to do, but at least it will keep you more occupied than the passengers, who are increasingly bored."

In the news ... Korian has finally decided to undergo training as a sailor. His duties will be much less than other learners, but his hours will be far longer. He will be nominally named the ship's cook ... someone's got to do the job. Tavey will feel better; though working just as hard, he will actually be able to show Korian a thing or two of what he learned under One-Eyed Willy's excellent tutelage.

Also, since the role of ship's mage doesn't include a lot of work (other than helping with watches and the like), Celiss will be named as the ship's master-at-arms.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-12 at 06:49 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Begging your pardon captain, but have you questioned her as to why she would kill One-Eyed Willy? A random act of murder isnt the smartest thing in the world to do, and while Im sure he was a valuable crew member, there would be other targets to kill that would cause more problems.

After saying her piece, Desiria heads back to her hammock to collect the things she needs to conduct a service for Willy. She will also collect stories and opinions about Willy from the crew, to better conduct her eulogy.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #1063

[Not sure when you ask this, but presumably later.]

The Captain responds to Desiria, "Well, she will probably be out for some time, maybe even days. So, no, we haven't questioned her yet, of course. But I'm sure it was as simple as revenge.

"If you were to take a look at her arms, you'll notice a dragon and a lotus flower. She ran the Lotus Dragon gang, the thieves guild in Sasserine. Mr. Cohen, Celiss, and I, and then later Mr. Kahir and Korian, decimated the guild and broke its back and its power. There was a very tough battle in the end in which a felldrake pet killed one of friends, but we killed it and Rowyn.

"We were named heroes of the city, given a medal called the Spire of Sasserine, and Rowyn's body was handed over to House Kellani - for she is a noblewoman's daughter - for burial. Well, here she is, and probably raised at great expense by her mother.

"Some weak attempt at sabotage when we first set out from Sasserine, but considering how beautifully well kept she was when we first fought her, and this bedraggled mess now, I think her mind was bent on revenge. One-Eyed Willy makes perfect sense as a victim. If it was anywhere else on the ship, or if it was anyone else in the hold, who knows? I imagine on his trips - once or twice a day - into the hold to get materials for the larder and the meals, he discovered her much to his doom. Rowyn is a deadly bard with classic enchantment powers, so she probably seduced him with magic to get him to further lower his guard.

"But I'm betting her hand was forced like this. There's no way she'd have any long-term control over One-Eye, and he would be bound to report it. A look at her and at the tiny crammed hole where she had been for two weeks is a good bet that she wasn't thinking long-term anymore."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

At some point during the remainder of the day, Celiss will approach Desiria (rather sheepishly) when the two ladies might have some privacy. "Please forgive me. The powers in me well up sometimes. I've never done anything like that before. The power is similar to a spell called order's wrath, and is more powerful than even my haste or your curing of serious wounds, and overwhelmed me.

"I shall commit to assisting you in making a new bonded object, with all expense borne by me."
    Current Games

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Myrhiss teaches us both mercy and forgiveness, so I do forgive you. And in fact, I ask for forgiveness from you. I was too harsh with you in the heat of battle. You were only attacking a superior foe who had fallen just a second before your spell activated. You wouldnt have been able to stop it if you wanted. It was wrong for me to so severely chastise you. I would welcome your aid in creating my new bond, it will be a chance to get to know one another.
    Desiria pauses for a moment.
    The captain has asked me to help conduct the funeral for Willy. That would probably include a eulogy. Tell me about him, a story or two, or something more about him. All I know about him was when he pointed a gun at me, a story that would no doubt cause some laughs among the crew.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #1066

RogueGuy

Hifestus

Dead is dead in Hifestus's opinion, but he wouldn't argue with the captain.

He will offer to help with the ring.

"I do not know if the ring had much value to you," he says. "I may be able to help reshape it though. I am no jeweler, but I can forge a metal band with the right tools."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Unfortunately it cannot be rebuilt. In order to focus my magic, it has to be of the finest quality, and a rebuilt item just wont work. I have chosen to use my periapt as the focus for it.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss isn't one for a lot of humor, and dealt very little with One-Eyed Willy, so she has nothing to add.
    Current Games

19. - Top - End - #1069

RogueGuy

Hifestus

Hifestus takes the the captains hand and listens carefully to what he says.

"Captain, as long as its an open contract, I do plan eventually open my own smithy, I would be proud to crew your ship and tend to its metallic needs."

20. - Top - End - #1070

Captain Darrius nods to Hifestus. "Of course, I understand. You came aboard the Sea Wyvern with the promise of life in a new land. The fact is, once we get to Farshore, any who wish to stay and make it their new home may do so. If chance has it that there are not enough sailors to man one vessel, one shall be berthed and the other - likely the Blue Nixie - will be the one to return to Sasserine for supplies.

"Welcome to the crew of the Sea Wyvern, Hifestus."

That evening, all crewmembers (mandatory) and any colonists that wish to do so will be present at One-Eyed Willy's funeral. In addition, the Blue Nixie is brought alongside, and Lavinia, her crew, and the Jade Ravens all attend.

The ceremonial aspects of the funeral are handled competently. Desiria is actually more practiced at funerals than the older Heironean, Father Feres, but out of respect she still assists him rather than takes over and aids him remarkably.

Since it is bad form for the minister presiding over the funeral to give the eulogy, Ms. Venkalie is unanimously considered (and appointed by the captain) to be the eulogist. The basic speech is very good, but given the rowdy nature of sailors - even at a funeral for one of their own - Amella entertains with the stories and does various impressions, recounting several fun interactions (she knew him better than anyone else, anyway) on the ship and at port calls, and does her fallen friend proud. Tavey Nesk, the cabin boy, is devastated. He looked up to One-Eyed Willy as his role model.

Finally, One-Eyed Willy is placed into a bundling bag. His sword Pickwing, his magical gloves and cloak, and his magical sharkskin armor shall go into the ship's treasury, but he shall be buried at sea with his pistol, Soundwhipper, and his magical powder horn and firearm accoutrements. Finally, he is tied up in the prepared bundling bag, the final rites are said, and he is given to the sea.

The funeral ends, and while there is a somber overtone, Captain Darrius brings out kegs of ale and a party is held aboard the ship. It is a mixed time of emotions.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-16 at 06:24 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria joins in the party as much as protocol would require, however, she makes herself available for anyone who would require grief counseling (such as it would be in this day and age) over the death of Willy.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #1072

Father Feres, the ship's prelate is significantly less capable at being a friendly ear. Those Heironeans are more about smashing, even though this guy doesn't seem to possess the temperament or physicality for that.

Sister Desiria and Mr. Cohen seem to be very capable, nearly equal, at grief counseling over the next few days as needed ... and after a little bit Mr. Cohen knows to let her take the lead on this.

Richfest 7, 589 CY (Freeday), 3 Days out of Ft. Blackwell

As Freeday, though the ship is still sailed and watches are manned, most or the normal more grueling operations or halted. There is an evolution called "rope yarn," where the crew maintains its section of lines and makes repairs if necessary. It is more taxing for Lirith, the rigger, as she trains Tavey, Agnipati, and Hifestus, though it is soon apparent that Agnipati is competent.

The other purpose of rope yarn is that it is relatively relaxing and easy, and is the "sewing circle" of the high seas where sailors gossip and chat together. Rope Yarn Freeday is also a time for mending hammocks, doing laundry if possible/needed, and even a little bit of early liberty for some extra sleep. With Mr. Cohen, Ms. Venkalie, Celiss, Skald, and Urol Forol all possessing the mending cantrip, and with Celiss and Ms. Venkalie possessing prestidigitation, the actual evolution portion goes by pretty quickly. With Celiss so tasked, she will be unable to assist Sister Desiria today on developing the latter's arcane bond.

Hifestus, Mr. Cohen will task you to make him a suit of hide armor, starting tomorrow. Nothing special right now, for he needs some protection as soon as possible. He had a suit of high quality sharkskin armor before, but it was ruined in battle. Because of his wings he can't just buy armor "off the rack," as it were, when in a town. A better set of armor can come later with time, but this is just to give him something sooner than later. His healing oaths require him to be a little more vulnerable on the battlefield, so as to have a greater empathy for his charges, and as such he prohibits himself from wearing any metal armor (even studded leather). However, since this is very personal, and out of an academic curiosity, he would like to assist you. With that, he'll take what tutelage you have overall as far as armormaking. For your sake, a helper cuts down on time. The ship does not have special materials, and Mr. Cohen trusts in his swimming ability to not need wooden armor.

The word is out that Rowyn Kellani has come out of her coma. Since none of the PCs are officers, none are any part of questioning nor guarding in the captain's quarters.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1073

Reaping 1, 589 CY
    (Starday, 7th Month, High Summer, Half-Moon Waxing)
    4 Days out of Ft. Blackwell

Rowyn's punishment is declared by Captain Wavebreaker. Despite the desire by many to have her killed outright for her heinous murder, she will be tied to the main mast, her arms behind her, 10' off the ground, with her mouth gagged. She will receive a small piece of bread and the barest amount of water a day. He clothes will be stripped down to the barest amount so that she is fully exposed to the elements and sun, and her beautiful red hair shall be shorn ... further causing her terrible sunburn on the top of her head and humiliation. When the ship next hits landfall, she shall be given no clothes nor food, she will not be given her beautiful zither, and the only tool she will be given is a single dagger.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-16 at 06:57 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria, as best she can, works on making her new arcane bond, when she is not providing counseling for any crew member or colonist that requires it.
    She does not go anywhere near Rowyn, while she fully believes the woman guilty of murder, she privately does not agree with the punishment. In her mind, a swift execution would be far more merciful. She does not however, make her views known to anyone other than herself, as she would not think of challenging the captains authority.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

25. - Top - End - #1075

During this day, as Desiria and Celiss work together, they naturally have conversations on magic. Desiria, always looking to enhance her knowledge of spell mechanics and theory, if flabbergasted by Celiss' genius and her incomprehensible knowledge of the subject. (More than three times your own modifier, with Skill Focus to boot.) Desiria will learn an incredible amount from her. Given the conversation and such, you will probably enjoy chatting about it even after the day's work is done and dinner.

In the evening, Korian will be called to the captain's stateroom.

Jer'el will work with Ka'Xet and Mr. Cohen on avoidance training.

Hifestus, for being a dwarf, Mr. Cohen is really clueless on crafting. He doesn't "aid" so much as he is merely a helper. It will take four days of crafting to make a hide shirt for him, including adjustment for wings.

Reaping 2, 589 CY (Sunday)
    (5 Days out of Ft. Blackwell)

Armor and Arcane Bond work continues.

During the day, the expedition passes a huge blackened valley along the jungle shore. The Blue Nixie signals ships to stop, and Mr. Cohen and Celiss fly out to investigate. When they return, they noted that closer inspection revealed that it was a huge sacrificial pit into which hundreds of what look like humanoid apes were thrown. They don't know how long it's been there and they didn't fly down to investigate further, but it does seem to have been there many years. There are no plants in that area, and no fauna was noted. The expedition continues, and Mr. Kahir says that it is noted on the charts as "The Vast Burning."

Hifestus, that night is a great night to work on your mechanical skills and avoidance of spring-lock traps.

Mr. Cohen studies pathology that evening.

Reaping 3, 589 CY (Moonday)
    (6 Days out of Ft. Blackwell)

This morning, folks wake up and find that the ship's prelate, Father Feres, has fallen desperately ill. His mind and body are feeble. His skin is flushed, he can't keep down food or water, and he has grown delirious, complaining that the world's grown too bright and soft around the edges.

As the ship's surgeon, Mr. Cohen is instantly notified, who in turn calls for Sister Desiria. The prelate is removed to the captain's stateroom, and only the captain, Mr. Cohen, and Desiria are allowed.

"I have the gift to remove diseases once a day without recourse to spells," Mr. Cohen says. "But the symptoms of this disease are so powerful and came so suddenly, it doesn't seem natural. I think we should investigate possible cause rather than just casting the spell, just in case it crops up again."

Desiria would've overlooked it, but Dr. Cohen finds an anomaly easily enough. There is a strange, pulsing growth nestled inside the man's belly.

Dr. Cohen leaves the bedside, beckoning the captain and Desiria over. "I think this may be some unknown and extremely aggressive parastic infestation. Instead of simply curing it, we may have to deal with it later. I'd like to perform surgery and see if we can't extract the pulsing mass to study it."

"We'll need Father Feres' consent for something like that," says the captain. "Sister Desiria, do you agree with this course of action?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-17 at 12:48 AM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

If you think you can remove it without endangering the Father's life, then the chance to study it might be valuable. But if there is any danger, he should be cured first.
    And when you do the extraction, I would suggest having at least one other person present who can unleash destructive magic quickly. Such parasites often possess a rudimentary intelligence and will react violently to being extracted. I can throw some magic quickly, but another to aid me might be neccesary.

If the conversations between her and Celiss have revealed her command of such magic, Desiria will suggest her.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #1077

Dr. Cohen says, "Excellent advice, Sister Desiria, thank you."

The Plan:
    * Dr. Cohen - Lead Surgeon
    * Sr. Desiria - Assisting Physician
    * Urol Forol - On Hand to continuously drop guidance on both healers.
    * Capt. Wavebreaker - acid or lightning backup, as well as to put extracted item into jar.
    * Ms. Venkalie - Dramatic Monologues to reduce stress of physicians

Sister Desiria, roll a Heal Aid check with a +1 bonus ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-17 at 03:59 AM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1078

Father Feres' condition is so terrible, and he is so weak, that it takes very little alcohol to anaesthetize him.

The surgery reveals a pulsing red mass the size of a fist inside his stomach, attached to many bloodvessels and the like. Surgery takes fully four hours. The mass is removed, and in the light there is something thick and blue underneath the red, and the intuition by Desiria and Cohen is that it is some type of egg sac. About 10-20 minutes after removal the pulsing slows down and finally stops, and it is put inside a thick mason jar.

Father Feres took 4 damage from the procedure, and he is so fantastically weak that he codes only briefly when Dr. Cohen stabilizes him. To him, the real danger is less about physical damage, and mainly that his stamina is so weak he is in danger of dying like that (1 Constitution).

Despite the danger present to the prelate, and the worries about this obviously unnatural egg sac and what it means, the successful surgery is a cause for cheer in the stateroom for those that were part of the evolution.

Mr. Cohen asks Desiria, who might well wish to be the bedside physician, back to reforming her arcane bond. "As a dedicated healer, he's in good hands as I'm the ship's surgeon. You, however, need to complete that bond with your amulet. Who knows what other surprises might be in store? You've been so helpful in so many ways when, as a passenger, it isn't your duty. Well, if you wish to continue, it might be helpful for you to have the full command of your magic at your disposal."

Late that evening, because Celiss and Desiria had a late start (four hours of surgery), the crew gets together to discuss what this thing might be.

Finally, with Ms. Venkalie, exhorting everyone to focus, Captain Darrius ably assists Celiss into determining that the crimson egg sac is not of this world. Dissecting it partially open, there is what appears to be a blue, frog-faced humanoid of some sort, with already incredibly developed muscles, no neck, and a flat head. It died shortly after extraction, as it needed the warmth and nutrients of a host.

Though what it is exactly is unknown, but the two determine that it is some type of parasitic outsider. How it got into the prelate is unknown. The jar is filled with a brine to preserve it for later study, and it is put into a sturdy box for now.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-17 at 07:07 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria is loath to leave a patient who is need of her skills, but she recognizes the bigger picture of restoring her arcane bond. She goes to work with Celiss on the bond. However, whenever they are not working (and she is not sleeping), she will go to check on Father Feres, even if she cannot help him with healing, she will at least be there for him.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #1080

Following the look at the now-preserved embryo, Jer'el has been tasked to give run the crew through body hardening exercises. To help alleviate boredom and to keep them healthy, any of the passengers may join in. Korian will keep watch over Father Feres.

Dr. Cohen will have a cot as well in the captain's stateroom. He will expend as many lesser restorations as he has available, and combine that with mundane healing.

Reaping 4, 589 CY (Godsday)
    (7 Days out of Ft. Blackwell)

Since this is a worship day and the prelate is sick with complete bedrest (and in no mental or physical condition), Rabbi Cohen will conduct the day's non-denominational worship service.

More ruins are spotted along the coastline.

Hifestus, you will finish the first mate's hide shirt today. He is very grateful. Though it might seem like a brutish form of armor that you made because of his oath, you well know that the healer must be protected, and he has neither skill nor the strength in flight to carry heavier armor. Either way, you have just made the second in command very happy - a good thing - and you have the feeling you just might have him in your corner.

Later that day, Rabbi Cohen will come to Sister Desiria in private. "Sister, I am curious if you want to join the ship's crew as the new prelate. Yes, you would be expected to learn basic seamanship, because the other crewmembers would have to look to you in times of crisis as knowing the ship. But Father Feres confessed today to being a fraud.

"His real name is Conrad Horst. He was on the run from authorities elsewhere for some minor scams, he became a mule for various packages, and in delivering maps of Limbo to a group in Ft. Blackwell. Unbeknownst to him they put something in him that made him deathly ill.

"We'll handle this quietly, saying something simple as Father Feres stepping down. The crew and the passengers have had enough stress. I thought you should now, and I trust your discretion in this matter."

Spoiler
    Show
    Any questions about advantages of crewmembers, see what Darrius told Hifestus in a previous post. This will require you to spend 1 rank in Profession: Sailor.

In the afternoon after services, Korian works with Darrius - the first in dealing with kata while the captain works on beefing up his agility. Jer'el will go over quick firing archery with Mr. Kahir. Cohen meditates and studies.

In the evening, Celiss will tutor the captain, the first mate, and Desiria in magical traditions. The other men-folk (Korian, Mr. Kahir, and Hifestus) are led through grueling exercises.

Mr. Cohen finishes fully healing Feres (as he is now simply called, possibly raising suspicion but most likely being ignored because of his familiarity on the ship). Feres is sent back to his bunk. Conrad Horst was a scribe before he ran afoul of the law, so he shall be a recordkeeper once Farshore is reached. He is more than happy to be a colonist to start a new life elsewhere away from the long arm of the law (and possibly the unknown man he delivered the package to in Ft. Blackwell).

Reaping 5, 589 CY (Waterday)
    (8 Days out of Ft. Blackwell)

At about 2 pm, a flock of six dragon-like creatures swoop down to fly alongside the Sea Wyvern for ten minutes, cavorting in the skies above and occasionally swooping down to skip their talons or their wingtips across the ocean surface. A few might come close to the ship or curiously look over the wyvern-shaped figurehead, but Darrius orders the crew not to attack unless they have to, and the wyverns - for that is what they are - eventually wing off to the port side and are gone.

Hifestus, you are finally thrust into the thick of your job training under the ABSs, as well as beginning your inspections. Seamanship is a grueling job.

Mr. Kahir is restless and puts in a very long day of voyage planning and helming later in the evening. Mr. Cohen prays, and the captain stays in his stateroom. Celiss has been in a foul mood today, snappy to say the least, and spends the evening and night in the rigging. Korian, in his role as the cook, has glutted himself. On the other hand, for having no real training in cooking, he actually puts together a decent meal for the crew, but he may have Tavey to thank for that. Hifestus studies the Smithson Treatise.

Reaping 6, 589 CY (Earthday)
    (9 Days out of Ft. Blackwell)

The expedition is about 785 miles out of Sasserine, and 310 miles out of Ft. Blackwell. As the ships near the mouth of the Havekihu River, the expedition has its first encounter with poor weather. The ships anchor near the river and take a half day to refill water stores on board from the river's waters (as scheduled for the next three rivers charted) Near the evening, less than a half hour after the expedition gets underway again, a thick fog springs up. Urol, the ship's windsinger, confirms that fog banks like this often occur along the coast in this region, but the thickness is nevertheless oppressive. Passengers head below deck, and the crew goes silent as all ears strain to the starboard side, marking the distant sound of breakers on the shore as the only trustworthy method of ensuring the expedition doesn't draw too close to the shallows while staying parallel to the coast. The fog grows thicker, and soon even the Blue Nixie, ony a few hundred feet ahead, is lost to vision.

At this point, Lavinia orders the ships to anchor for the night until the fog burns off in the morning. The voice of one of her crew calling out from the fog to the Sea Wyvern announcing the short stoppage is curiously muted by the fog, but nonetheless easily understood. The captain orders the anchoring of the ship, and warns that it will probably be a long night with the weather.

At ~0220 in the morning, the entire ship lurches as if striking a reef. The alarm bell rings; grounding is a terrible event for a ship because of the dangers of flooding, capsizing, and/or getting stuck and possibly foundering.

The crew is mustered topside. Desiria, depending on your answer to Mr. Cohen about joining the crew, if you are a member of the crew then muster would be mandatory; however, as an adventurer, I'm sure you go up anyway, even if you might stand back to let the crew do what they will.

Celiss, you see from the rigging that there is a large mass of driftwood, animal carcasses, ship fragments, and even rocks and other objects seem to be packed tightly together and pushed up against the port side of the ship. It is enough to actually cause the ship to list.

Ms. Venkalie is the current OOD. The helm is vacant. Celiss, you are the lookout (as best as can be in the fog). Hifestus, you are a U/I watch under Ms. Venkalie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A U/I watch means "under instruction." Basically, a U/I watch is on-watch, but not being qualified either follows the qualified watch around, or if having some training under their belt actively pursues the duty with the qualified watch as a safety observer and training officer.
    Jer'el, it is nothing to have grabbed your weapon. Desiria could grab what meager items she needed.

Hifestus, you are ordered to look over the side to investigate anything anomalous, going over the gunwale if necessary. A lantern is hung on a pole over the side so you can see with good light. Korian and Jer'el are tending a safety line tied around you. As you start just over the gunwale, something comes bursting forth from the water, and all of the jetsam and flotsam follows. You get slammed for a whopping 23 damage! Something disgusting and gelatinous pulls you in and you have trouble moving, being held fast against the side of the boat. It was such a surprise as you fall into the water into this transparent muck that you didn't even have a chance to get a good breath.

R1T26: With mind-blowing reflexes, Agnipati changes form (remember, to make it more comfortable for the passengers - even though they've seen her form) into a slick, eel-like humanoid. She is now surrounded by a swirling nimbus of shadow energy.

"There's some kind of goop in the debris that grabbed him, though it seems slightly transparent in the lantern light!"

R1T24: Seeing this mass of debris takes up a roughly 15' in diameter, Korian launches into the water next to the mass with his claws and teeth trailing frost. His first claw tears through something, the second claw looks like it should've hit but misses, and his bite hits, for a total of 15 physical and 16 cold damage.

R1T22: Skald goes over to Jer'el, who is still holding the rope despite Korian leaving it to jump in fearlessly, and he casts a spell on the cecaelia. Jer'el, you feel yourself growing even more fantastically strong!

Desiria...You easily recognize that bull's strength was cast.

R1T20: Lirith goes and grabs the rope with Jer'el. "Ready when you are."

R1T19: Desiria, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-18 at 06:13 AM.
    Show