New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

Sadi offered Darrius a grin before glancing at Desiria, "Miss, you better have some peppers to share. Might as well put the beast out of its misery, too bad that might take a while." Sadi thrusts his Baradiche into the Hydra again, hopefully with greater effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+13)[22] and if i roll decently, (1d10+8)[11]

I'm back.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Colossus in the Playground

R4T22: Sadi offered Darrius a grin before glancing at Desiria, "Miss, you better have some peppers to share. Might as well put the beast out of its misery, too bad that might take a while."

Sadi hacks into the hydra again with his bardiche with greater effect, doing 12 damage. The body is hacked and burned terribly, yet it barely lingers on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Desiria did an additional point of fire damage. Scorching ray is a weapon-like spell, and is affectable by Amella's bardic music.

R4T21: Skald just barely manages to cut at a juncture between neck and body for min (3) damage with his kukri. That little bit is enough to disable the monster.

R4T18.1: Hifestus grabs another chakram and moves to the railing to Sadi's left before throwing his weapon. He has had no luck today, and that continues as the chakram skips off the body into the water.

R4T18: The body of the hydra sinks below the surface, while regenerating still. Sadi misses the AOO. Skald does another 3 with his kukri, but it's not quite enough to disable it again. The captain almost breaks his nails trying to claw the monster. Agnipati stabs the body for 12 damage, which is enough to seemingly kill it.

R4T15: Captain Darrius, the hydra just sank so that the top of it is 10' below the waterline. If there's one thing you know from warriors like Korian (whose regenerative abilities were far less than this fantastic beast), it ain't dead until it's dead. Maybe if it regenerates it will think better, and maybe it won't, but a creature like this can simply retreat, regenerate its body and heads .... and then return refreshed and renewed. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-03-18 at 08:39 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius faces into the water and spits acid at it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    KO'd it should be flat-footed, right ... so sneak attack?
    Spit acid (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage (4d6)[13] + (1d6)[1]

If I give it a good bath, do we have to go round by round still, or can I just go down with a few follow-ups and my claws to make sure?
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

4. - Top - End - #1174

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Aqua(Draconic/Dark)-Man. You spit at it, swim to it as the body sinks and sear it with acid again and again. Its the best thing to do, since the surface of the water is already covered in a thick veneer of hydra blood. I mean, hey, cutting off a hydra head still means you deal with at least a few seconds of a Huge creature's arterial spray before the wound begins to seal.

Combat is over, and a Bravo Zulu to all!
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mr. Kahir, maintain the deck and the conn. I'm going to swim below and see if I can't find anything .... interesting ... by way of a lair. A monster like this in a bay like this surely has taken its own fair share of lives of the unwary and misfortunate."

Darrius swims below to look around for anything usefu/ shiny discarded on the bottom, and as a favor to the smith to find any of his tossed discs.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Before the captain can go below to go treasure hunting, Desiria will gather all the wounded together for one of her healing surges.

(3d6)[13] channel

Since this will actually do nothing for Lirith's ankle, she will then tend to it in mundane fashion

(1d20+11)[26] heal
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #1177

Skald has some scratches remaining, but should be okay by tomorrow, though you have plenty of juice to top him off with a CLW so as not to affect the watchbill with him going down to the bunk.

The captain, however, is still moderately wounded. [~75%]

Desiria, do you lay on some more healing?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria swaps out her remaining third level spell to apply a cure serious wounds to the captain.

(3d8+5)[11] CSW

She then swaps out a bless to apply a cure light wounds to Skald

(1d8+5)[13]

Spoiler
    Show
    Im not even going to bother to speculate on how 1d8 can beat 3d8
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-03-20 at 12:08 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria can visibly see that her healing on the captain did not have the desired effect, so she swaps out her augury for a cure moderate wounds

(2d8+5)[14] CMW
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius has some wounds on him, but is otherwise okay. "Thank you, Sister Desiria."

He falls away from her, extending into a backward arch-dive into the bay. He searches as before.
    Current Games

11. - Top - End - #1181

Darrius finds a grim scene when he dives below - dozens of sunken ships of all sizes rot in the mud and seaweed here, previous victims of the hydra. Most of the cargo in these ships have rotted away as well.

Do you do anything to enhance your search in any way?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, actually. "Desiria, can you swim? Even if you can't, do you still have enough godly favor available to pray for water breathing? That way our best swimmer who can cast detect magic can act as a magic detector for anything that may be of interest down there."

He looks to the druid. "Skald, if she can do it, that means you're on deck. If you don't have detect magic, do as she will have to do ... if she still has it in her ... and pray to the sea."
    Current Games

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria shakes her head. I have used my allotment of spells of that power for the day. If I had several hours of rest and prayer, I could do it.

OOC: Shes used all her third level spells for the day, cant even swap out an unused slot, since they were all used.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

"I expect a druid to have a way to be under the waves without need of a spell to allow breath from water. Detect magic is a simple trick, even I could drop such a spell once or twice. I am curious though, as for what could be beneath the waves to warrant a trick like that." Sadi covers the blade of his Baradiche with a thick piece of leather and rests it on his shoulder.

I'm back.

15. - Top - End - #1185

Skald looks a little embarrased and at a loss for words. "You see," he says nasally, "I'm afraid that I..."

"You're afraid .... what," states Agnipati more than she says, coming out of the red-black dog form and shifting to the humanoid eel form. "Captain, with your permission, I'll accompany you just to check for anything of value. Better to be in the water with other horrors than on the ship with him."

She doesn't even wait for permission. Not really. She just backs away in disgust from the half-elf and dives into the water.

"No way a beast like that would attack until it was good and truly dead," says Ms. Venkalie in general before looking at Skald. "No, you Cursed pickled herring. The only reason we had to fight so hard for so long - even 'gainst the likes of such a super-'generatin' Zapotec like that hydra - is because of your curse. Now get up to your post in the crow's nest so you can look out for any more trouble you might bring us."

Skald, dejected, clambers up to his post.

Ms. Venkalie looks to Lirith, "Check the rigging for damage. Take Fleggings here with you. Oh, and Fleggings? The reason that walking stick-with-ears can cast detect magic but not water breathing, is because he only can do simple tricks. Magic like what the captain wants is only something what our prelate can do. Worse, Skald's weak ability with a bow and with druidic ... 'power' ... is nothing compared to how much of a bloody Cursed One he is.

"Now, go check the rigging and the decks for damage. The Nixie no doubt so our problems though I guess they also used spyglass to see that we're still here. They'll be wanting to switch out so they can get their water soon enough, so all hands make the ship ready to sail out of harbor!"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadi raises a hand sarcastically, "Your wish is my command." Before whispering to himself, "Specially when I get paid." He starts to whistle aimlessly as he heads to follow orders.

I'm back.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius doesn't say anything. If he disagrees or not is hard to tell. In contract law, silence usually means agreement. He dives into the water to search for anything interesting, Aiding or being Aided by Agnipati as it makes sense for our scores (which you roll).
    Current Games

18. - Top - End - #1188

The captain and Agnipati find a partially collapsed chest with scores of gold. In a stateroom on another ship there is a long-dead elf with masterwork chainmail which, unlike everything else there, shows no sign of decay. Draped over a drooping yardarm of still another ship is a bright green cloak which likewise shows no sign of decay. Everything is brought aboard.

The total gold is 102 gp. Desiria doesn't have detect magic readied. Mr. Kahir verifies that it is magical, but he only knows about psionic items, not magical ones. Skald doesn't have detect magic prepared, either, and Ms. Venkalie's bardic power doesn't include that.

There is no time or the Blue Nixie will lose daylight filling their water stores.. The Sea Wyvern transits out of the bay before dropping anchor again, while Agnipati is sent to swim in eel form to the Blue Nixie to give a full report, that's when Sister Desiria can take a look at these items.

The armor she easily identifies as a suit of +1 chainmail. Unfortunately, other than noticing that there is a magical aura, she cannot tell anything more abotu the green cloak. Skald is finally allowed to try and he prays to the storms and sea. He comes down, but likewise can see nothing more about the cloak and he goes back up to his post.

Agnipati looks to Desiria and says, "May I help you study this the old-fashioned, non-magical way?"
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Checking things the old fashioned way is dangerous. I have the identify spell from my bloodline, I can figure it out that way. I can probably find out more about the armour as well.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-03-23 at 08:31 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well," says the captain, "Please do."
    Current Games

21. - Top - End - #1191

It only takes an hour for Sadi to check fully for damage. After that, he is sent back to the kitchen to prepare the evening meal.

It may be the toll of battle, but Desiria is unable to identify the purpose of the bright green cloak today. She'll have to try again tomorrow.

The ships celebrate, with the Nixie giving great congratulations to the Wyvern and her doughty crew.

Goodmonth 12, 589 CY (Waterday)

That evening, the captain wears these blue lenses of incarnum to aid Desiria in identifying the cloak. They are successful, and determine that it is a cloak of the manta ray.

Sadi and Ms. Venkalie discuss their different bardic approaches and techniques.

Captain Darrius, to whom do you assign the cloak of the manta ray? Not a single member of the crew can use the +1 chainmail effectively, so that will go to party booty.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

That is NO small item. One of the top ones we've seen yet. Captain Darrius gives his recommendation to Lady Lavinia to sign. On a doubled plank connecting both ships, he reads out a commendation for the Sea Wyvern's Boatswain, Amella Venkalie. Her top notch understanding of the ship, running the watchbill, directing general operations, and providing invaluable morale during battle is to be awarded. She gets a commendation and the cloak of the manta ray.
    Current Games

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadi will take up his time doing that which he has done for years, cook and sing. The songs he sings are old songs of the sea's great offerings, both exiting journeys and crashing tides. If anyone enters his territory, he immediately stops singing and begins to whistle tunelessly.

I'm back.

24. - Top - End - #1194

Goodmonth 13, 589 CY (Earthday)

The Isles of Axuxal lie off the southern coastline of the Amedio Jungle, and are settled by several peaceful Olman tribes. The village of Renkrue, the easternmost settlement on the isles, is also the most advanced, consisting of a straw huts and even a few wooden structures built years ago by a priest of St. Cuthbert who had visions of converting the islanders to his religion. He died not long after seeing to the construction of the village's two buildings; these buildings now serve as the chieftain's hut and a communal hall respectively.

The residents of Renkrue are friendly and chatty, although only a few of them speak Common. Lady Lavinia will trade up to ten tons of food here, using trade stock from the Blue Nixie brought for this purpose.

In addition, PCs can purchase potions, scrolls, wands, and other items that aren't made of worked metal here, but no single item worth more than 200 gp. Also, trade for items are made here based on the loot that the Sea Wyvern earned. Because there is no coinage, the following is a rough concept of what each person might earn in trade goods total.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Party Loot, Pre-Sadi = 1140.5 gp total.

The additional post-Sadi is an outstanding 1800 gp. The treasure chest and magical chain mail is worth a lot.

There are 8 shares on the first (not including Sadi), and 9 shares on the second (including Sadi). What complicates this is the inability to have nice round figures per shareholder because you can't get "change".

The best idea is to take everyone's input for items, and maybe consider everything to be party funded at this point.

Please let me know what you want to plug for potions, scrolls, and wands, and maybe even some very cheap wondrous items.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    That means everyone but Sadi could get the equivalent of 342 gp, while Sadi would get the equivalent of 200 gp.
    "Okay," says the captain after thinking about things. "Good point. If you're talking protection, here's what we're going to do. Some of us wear armor, many of us wear magical armor, so that close 'hard' protection is done. What most don't have - except myself with my darkwood shield - is a second, outer layer of 'hard' protection like a classic shield spell. It would only last a minute, but it would provide significant protection of its kind and stop magic missiles. Casters normally can only cast it on themselves, but its effects can be put into a potion for anyone to quaff.

"After that, yes, a CLW potion. Beyond this, I'll make recommendations for each of you based on your tasks onboard or in battle."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll let Rus know what I recommend for the others, though he may already have an idea. We don't have anyone else to trade with that I know of - I got to see the map since I'm the captain - and the next major stop will be Farshore. Since it's a colony, they'll be on barter system as well, but who knows how many item crafters they have, so I have maxed up my suggestions, and feel free to knock them down.

Desiria: air bubble (x2, 100 gp) expeditious retreat (x2, 100 gp), shield (x2, 100 gp), shield of faith +2 (50 gp). Darrius would be willing to front-loan the 8 gp.

Sadi: cure light wounds (x2, 100 gp), shield (x2, 100 gp)

Let me know if this works ...
    Current Games

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Healing potions would probably be a good idea, Myhriss grants me extensive healing powers but sometimes Im just not near enough to you and if I were ever incapacitated, you'd need to be able to take care of yourselves. Cure light wounds give you the best value for the money. Potions that act as a shield of faith or mage armour are also good. I think scrolls are too expensive for us, and not everyone can use them.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadi glances at the captain, "Might as well take your advice, not like I need anything in particular. One of you can go ahead and take my money, if you return me with a few potions, I would appreciate it, otherwise, I won't miss a few potions that I never had."

I'm back.

28. - Top - End - #1198

Lavinia states that the expedition will be given two days of shore leave (with crews swapping out for stores load, but still more than enough time for fun).

Amella prefers to remain aboard the Sea Wyvern, but might be persuaded ashore for more than just a 'here and there moment.

Conrad Horst (aka Father Feres) decides to retire here, his recent brush with death having given him a new outlook on life.

Avner Meravanchi strides into the chief's group as a returning champion, looking magnificent on his steed. Thunderstrike, for his part, is more than happy to be ridden after so long.

Skald, the Cursed One, seems suspicious. He leaves the ship and village and goes further inland.

Lirith enjoys her first evening with the people of Renkrue, and that evening gets quite drunk during an impromptu contest with one of the locals ...

.... or, one of the PCs ...

As cabin boy, Tavey Nesk is expected to stay on board and watch the ship.

Obviously, the 15 passengers of the Sea Wyvern are delighted to get out and about.

The Blue Nixie. Although both ships take shore leave at the same time, the passengers and the crew of the Blue Nixie generally keep to themselves and do not mix much with those of the Sea Wyvern. The notable exceptions are Lavinia Vanderboren and the Jade Ravens.

Is there anything the three of you would want to do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want descriptions or interactions with the Jade Ravens, let me know. Basically, they are Lavinia's personal guard.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadi will stay aboard the ship. "You lot have your fun, I have no intention of joining you on dry land at the moment, maybe next time."

I'm back.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria will split her time between dry land and on board ship, making herself available at all times for anyone requiring personal/spritual counselling. She does make it a point to be present at the negotiations to purchase the magical items the group intends to buy.
    #GoreMutualarejerks