New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

Avener is initially charmed by the quaint village. He quickly becomes obsessed with one of the villager's daughters. His attempts to "purchase" her from her parents insults the islanders to such an extent that they refuse trade with the expedition unless they can be talked down.

It is at this point that that we see who the talkers really are. Lady Lavinia is aided by The Caller (the leader of her Jade Ravens) of the Blue Nixie, and of the Sea Wyvern .... the tall, beautiful, red-headed woman by the name of Agnipati. With Lady Lavinia talking and playing music, trade resumes.

Avener loses interests with the village and its residents and spends the rest of shore leave aboard the Sea Wyvern in a foul mood. He is receptive to Lirith (who has been plotting a way to get into his good graces), and his stress relief is rather audible.

The morning of departure, when most stores have been loaded and folks are saying their goodbyes, alarm bells from both ships ring loudly. The captain is able to go to the beach and take a look with his spyglass. The best he can tell is that it is a caravel and it has a flag raised.

The flag of The Scarlet Brotherhood.

Since you know that Agnipati has the best eyes, it's likely that you'll give the spyglass to her.

"That's definitely a Brotherhood flag. The figurehead looks like a dancer bending back with her arms and touching a toe kicked back. Wait, I see movement.

"Captain, this is no rank and file ship. It's not in great condition and I only see three persons on deck. The helmsman is somewhat obscured but I can't get a good look. But one of the seamen seems to be a tribal man of some sort, definitely a bruiser. The other appears to be ... appears to be ...

"Captain, this other one is some type of cursed creature of white fur and scales. It has a very ill look, and I also doubt that it is any less lacking in prowess than that well-formed tribesman. I am betting that this single ship was sent with very capable combat hands to try and intercept us. I don't think this is going to be an easy combat, but we have distance advantage on them.

"Captain Darrius, what are your orders?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-03-31 at 04:27 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

"Everyone to the ship!" calls out the captain. "This looks like it might be a much tougher fight than we're used to. They have a couple of real burly guys aboard, not just flea-bitten, scurvy-skinny wrecks o' men."

He gives a quick apology to the chief, but there's not much time. Loads up the launch as quickly as possible, and hopes Lavinia does the same.

If the ship was that far out, it will probably be a few hours to meet them if we went straight towards them. Otherwise, it might be a long chase if we head out to open ocean. I say we chase at them to fight, recommending to Lavinia that we open out enough to flank in and outmaneuver the ship. If we flee, they might not chase but might take retribution out on the villagers of Renkue.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

3. - Top - End - #1203

It takes 20 minutes for both ships to get their launches back, get aboard, rig sails and weigh anchor. Both ships are now on an offset flanking intercept to the Brotherhood ship.

After about an hour Agnipati is able to make out more. "They are definitely hiding their numbers. Because of some of the lower rigging that was let down - probably to make it easier for deckfighting - I can't make out the helm at all. The creature of white doesn't have scales like I thought, but spots. Captain, it looks like a demon right out of Wastelands lore, but I don't know what. It definitely doesn't look friendly.

"For them to drop like that, they don't want maneuverability. They must have shipmages onboard for long-distance firefighting, and I do see a couple ballistae though the engine teams are hiding. Wait a minute ...

"Captain, they just challenged us. One is shaking his spear at us and the other seems to be daring us to come to them."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1204

Update: Agnipati informs the captain that the crazy demon creature is now dancing what might be a war dance - waving his cap in the air.

Myhriss, no doubt as ship's mage/prelate, will hear these reports.

The flag of the Scarlet Brotherhood seems to be upset briefly.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

In order, Desiria would like to perform the following actions. Right off the bat, she will be casting Mage Armour on herself. When the enemy ship closes to a range of 100 feet, she will cast a Searing Light aiming right at the water line, hoping to hole the vessel. At a range of 25 feet, she will fire off a scorching ray into the deck area, hoping to hit either an enemy combatant or start a fire on their deck.
    Rolls will be performed as range closes.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

6. - Top - End - #1206

Spoiler
    Show
    Paul is passed out, and might be too busy in the next few days. He's given me the captain for now.

Closer movement is in view. The spotted white humanoid is now seen with the naked eye.

It then moves further up the mast, somehow magically floating upwards.

Meanwhile, the aboriginal man with the spear raises his spear hand over his head and shakes it.

The spotted white demon-thing reaches the top of the main mast just as the Wyvern gets into firing range for Myhriss.

"Fire magic artillery!" the captain calls.

Desiria, roll your attack roll and damage.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

Desiria launches her searing light at the vessel's waterline, aiming to hole it before the battle even starts

(1d20+4)[22] ranged touch & (3d6)[9] damage

She then launches a scorching ray into the general deck area of the ship

(1d20+4)[15] ranged touch & (4d6)[18] damage
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #1208

The searing light hits the ship at the front, but other than a little damage, doesn't light the ship on fire with water action putting whatever might have started out.

Meanwhile, the white devil man is playing with the flag but gets caught in it for some reason.

The Wyvern closes quickly at battle speed, and a similar spell hits the rigging of the enemy ship as Desria strike a spot on the deck. The topsail and a barrel on deck are now on fire.

The tribesman shouts and yells, "Wait, stop!"

The Wyvern gets alongside the enemy ship ... still only seeing two persons. It doesn't seem like there are enemy troops unless they are all pressed against the close gunwale.

Just then, the stateroom door flies open. A figure with wings bursts out, sees the fire, and yells out, "What in the Nine Hells are you doing?! We were anchored, sails raised, and waving you in!!!"

The voice is familiar, as is the captain.

It is Rabbi Cohen.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ogre in the Playground

"Cease fire, cease fire! Mr. Kahir, bring the ship about from aft, move, forward, and tie alongside."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

"Huh... oh what the f%%@k?!"

Tom realizes that he is terribly exposed at the top of the mast as sizzling bolts of energy start tearing into the ship. He wads up the red flag and tosses it is far away as he can... then releases his hold on the mast and lets himself plummet to the deck, arresting his fall at the very last moment.
    He approaches the fire and breathes out a stream of frosty vapor, trying to check the spreading flames.

"Damnit, sir, your friends could stand to be a bit... friendlier!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Featherfall ability
    Use breath weapon on fires
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

11. - Top - End - #1211

Captain Cohen nails the fire with liberal amounts of create water on the decking, and has Underhill go up enough to do the same to the fire on the topsail.

Meanwhile, the Wyvern signals the Nixie to break off their attack. The Nixie maintains a safe standoff just in case of any surprises.

"Shouting Tree," he calls, "take the white flag and raise it. We surrender to this superior naval force."

"Aye, captain!" he says with a grin, and he goes clambering up the main mast with the skill of a monkey, finding a way to tie off the white flag despite the loss of a lanyard (it really doesn't 'fly' so much as hangs). He then pops into the crow's nest and waves to both ships.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking liberties with Darrius, especially since Paul is wrecked right now. Besides, this exchange would take forever otherwise ...

Having seen the name of the ship when the Wyvern pulled around the stern, the figurehead finally makes sense. Captain Darrius calls out, "Dancer's Circlet, surrender and prepare to be boarded!"

"As Captain of the Dancer's Circlet," calls Captain Cohen, "I accept your demand for surrender. You have my permission to grapple the ships."

Captain Cohen orders Shouting Tree down as the grapples are thrown over and lowered. Meanwhile, he says to his two-man crew, "Get ready to salute and then hand over both of your spears. Don't worry, Shouting Tree. I know you hold the Spear of Fertility, but it's a ceremony and it will be back in your hands in no time."

He then barks in a more formal manner to his crewmen. All two of them. "Look lively, boys! They may have taken us and our ship, but we'll show our captors our mettle with straight backs and raised chests that the men of the Dancer's Circlet are men of honor and dignity even in defeat! Atten-tion!"

Captain Darrius calls out, "Request permission for captain and honor guard to come aboard!"

"Permission granted!" calls Captain Cohen.

Darrius and his 'honor guard' (comprised of Mr. Kahir and Agnipati) cross to the quarterdeck. Captain Cohen steps forth and they salute. "I am Captain Cohen of the Dancer's Circlet, a ship of the Scarlet Brotherhood."

"And I am Captain Wavebreaker of the Sea Wyvern. How shall you surrender?"

"I present to you my hammer, Gili-Nachum, and the captain's log of the Dancer's Circlet. I also present to you myself as prisoner with the request to be treated as officer under standard maritime courtesies, and that my crew be treated with as much hospitality for prisoners as your mercy and resources may afford. Finally, I present to you this ship - the Dancer's Circlet - for your disposition."

Captain Cohen does an about face. "Pending former crew of the Dancer's Circlet, lay down your arms."
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is assumed that Underhill does ... though Shouting Tree seems much more reticent to do so, hesitating an extra second.

Captain Wavebreaker commands, "Honor guard, remove the weapons of the enemy crew." (Which they promptly do, though only the spears ... not any other weapons.)

"Captain Cohen, you and your crew managed to sail a caravel with a crew less than half of what is normally required, a truly fantastic feat of seamanship reflecting great credit to your and your crew, and we are in need of able hands. Here are my terms of surrender:
    1. You will be impressed into service as an officer of my complement, with all the rights and responsibilities forthwith.
    2. Your crew shall likewise be impressed into service as crewmembers of my complement, with all the rights and responsibilities forthwith.
    3. That in such impressment it is assumed loyalty to the expedition, my person, the ship, and all of the complement and passengers.
    4. That as members of the complement, you and your crew shall agree to make known your best capabilities so that I and my officers may know best how to employ you in both day-to-day operations and under emergency conditions.
    5. That as members of the complement, you and your crew make known any particular vulnerabilities, hindrances, allergies, or any other debilitations by which lack of information would cause complications in the day-to-day operations and under emergency conditions.
    6. Despite the outstanding shiphandling of your complement, the crime of flying a flag of the Scarlet Brotherhood means that this floating wooden wreck - obviously the result of poor upkeep sacrificed for the sake of speed - will be decommisioned and burnt to the waterline.
    7. Despite your obvious desire to push yourselves to the limits of sailing, your love of the sea shall carry with it a punishment of being 'marooned' at the nearby village of Renkrue for no less than 24 hours. You will be forced to smile, eat heartily, and sleep well in the guise of guests of the indigenous, and friends of these two ships.

"If you accept these terms of surrender, than all of your personal possessions, as well as items of defense and any treasury you may own, shall be yours to keep. Do you accept these terms of surrender?"

"I do." He then orders Shouting Tree and Underhill to grab the sack of treasure for moving to the Wyvern.

No longer Captain Cohen, Rabbi Cohen crosses the gangplank with Shouting Tree and Tom Underhill. There is a great cheer lead by Ms. Venkalie, followed by incredible clapping.

Once all are aboard and the clapping dies down, Rabbi Cohen salutes Captain Darrius again and says, "Captain Wavebreaker, may I present Shouting Tree and Tom Underhill. Reporting for duty."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Myhriss, what do you do at this point?

Captain Wavebreaker (Psinger), you and I can talk and I'll post best estimate, or you can pop on when you can.

Sadi Fleggins, what do you do? Because of battle stations, you were aboard when you saw all of this. You recognize the former first mate of the Wyvern before your transfer.

Tom Underhill, describe yourself.

No further goading for cheering and clapping is needed for the second, raucous round.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-04-04 at 01:10 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadi finds himself inexplicably close to Cohen without much intent and takes the chance for a bout of sarcasm. "Congratulations Mr. Cohen, would you like me to sing you a tune of victory? You have successfully surrendered without harm to any of your men, a very difficult feat to accomplish with anyone other than my captain here. Would you care if I asked what you were doing on that ship?"

I'm back.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

When it is her turn to talk, Desiria comes forward, going to one knee as she approaches the rabbi.

I beg your forgiveness for launching an attack on your ship, we did not know who you were and thought you pirates.
    And then if you dont mind me asking, how did you get out of the situation with the basilisk, and come to be captaining a pirate ship?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ogre in the Playground

The new sailor is a short but powerfully built male humanoid, a few inches over five feet tall. His gray skin (visible on the palms of his hands, soles of his feet, insides of his ears and tip of his nose) is covered with thick white fur, which grows out into a long beard, mustache and topknot. The fur is patterned with leopard-like spots that are dark blue-gray in color. His eyes are yellow and resemble a cat's eyes. He has catlike ears and long, catlike tail with a tuft on the end. During the introductions he is careful to keep a close-mouthed smile, but his teeth are clearly very numerous and sharp. His fingers and toes are tipped by sharp claws... and two small horns grow from his forehead...

Tom sighs as he is inspected by his new shipmates. The introductions, the awkward questions, the even more awkward explanations... that is always the hardest part. At least nobody this time is asking him if he eats people...
    But a berth is a berth, and this certainly beats a welcoming committee of sharks, as had very nearly been his fate just a few days ago...
    As Tom gets a better look at the crew... and some of its more unusual members... his spirits rise a bit.

I may not be quite so out of place here...

15. - Top - End - #1215

Thumbs up Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

There is time enough for the song and the story and the like. For now, though, the Wyvern burns and scuttles the Dancer's Circlet.

"You know," says Rabbi Cohen to Captain Darrius, "I might just miss that tree-bred blight of the eyes."

The two expedition ships meet, and Lady Vanderboren is overjoyed and hugs her former legal counsel with as much power as her little body can muster. As a celebration, she is more than willing to take another day-and-a-half at Renkrue to inflict 'punishment' upon the men of the former Circlet.

The ship's anchor again, launches set, and back to Renkrue. Though Rabbi Cohen will debrief the captain in private, it is said that there will be a great campfire story in the evening.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though he is a bard, Sadi is more of a musician. Rabbi Cohen will work with Ms. Venkalie to tell the tale. Besides, Rabbi Cohen is actually a better actor/ orator/ storyteller, and Ms. Venkalie's acting ability is incredible.

The tale is told of Rabbi Cohen's ordeals, meeting Shouting Tree and Tom Underhill, and their rendezvous with the expedition!
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-04-04 at 02:37 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I approve of the liberties you took. And it probably would have been similar - but with me being less sea-savvy - had we just done it face to face. Good storying it up.

Captain Darrius claps and cheers heartily at the tale, as well as Amella's acting and Lazer's performance. There is much drinking (but not by the rabbi) and merrymaking.

Still, Darrius will pull Desiria and Lazer aside. "Sister Desiria, I realize that it has been stressful to you to act as ship's surgeon AND mage AND non-qual. As of this moment, and with neither rancor nor penalty, you are hereby removed from duty as ship's surgeon. Rabbi Cohen shall retain that title, and shall remain an officer outside of chain-of-command, as a surgeon should.

"Meanwhile, Sister Desiria, this means that in addition to being granted more time for meditation and such in the evening, you will have much more time to ... enjoy ... your training and labors in learning this ship and the duties of being a fully-qualified ABS."

He studies her for a moment. "I hope that is more in your favor than not, yes?"
    Current Games

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ogre in the Playground

When Sadi gets the chance, he tracks down Tom Underhill in order to further his curiosity. "Tell me my white furred friend, do you fish?" Sadi is holding an amount of fishing line and a small metal rod. "I would like to ask you a few questions."

I'm back.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

DESIRIA

I will cede the title of ship's surgeon to Rabbi Cohen.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom holds back a sigh. When you look like him, there are always "a few questions." But making nice with new shipmates is never a bad idea... and fish are tasty, the fresher the better...

"Sure... why not?"

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadi taps the rod against his leg and it turns into a fishing pole. "You can relax, I have little interest in your appearance. Why were you traveling with Cohen? Was it really just convenience? Lets see if we are lucky..." He adds the line to the pole and puts a simple hook on it. "Lets see." Sadi pulled a small stale piece of bread from his pocket and slipped it on the hook. "Hows bout it, you like fish?" He offered the pole and pulled a fiddle that was hidden under his clothing. "Maybe we'll get lucky, either way, I feel like some music. I hope you don't mind." Without waiting for a reply, Sadi began to play his fiddle. It was a number fit for the fiddle, quick and with plenty of change.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[12] for the fiddle that would be 6. lets see if i remember how to use this thing... I guess I don't have to pretend I'm average at it, just have to roll a 2.
    Last edited by Bladehunter217; 2013-04-07 at 03:03 PM.

I'm back.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's pretty much like they told it. Pirates sank my ship, and Cohen found me floating about a week later. I went with him for the convenience of staying alive..."

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

"And what of now then, convenience of staying alive still, or something else?"
    Last edited by Bladehunter217; 2013-04-08 at 07:58 AM.

I'm back.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

"I need a berth. Cohen and the rest of you seem like good folks, and this crew appears to have room for more... unusual people. You certainly beat the other possible employers around here, who are mostly homicidal thugs who like to wear red. I'd rather not have to rob and murder to earn my keep...
    If that's not a good enough reason, what would you like me to do? Find a canoe and paddle back to Greyhawk?"

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain pauses for a second, but says nothing. "You're still both the prelate and the mage, and in my view he's the better physican - magically and just in pure knowledge.

"You have enough on your plate, Sister. Including, might I add,"
    he says with a smile, "earning your salt. Nobody gets a free ride that doesn't know the ropes."

Captain Darrius wanders from group to group, including mingling with Lady Lavinia, the Nixie captain, and the Jade Ravens - but only briefly.

He finally comes to the two makeshift fishermen (Fleggins and Underhill). "Hello, men. Just stopping by to see how you're doing. Getting acquainted with some of our crew? Good.

"Oh, and gentlemen? Take it from a guy who lived the first part of his life underwater and has spoken to these natives .... a fishing line will 'net' you nothing. Too shallow here at the shore. A good old-fashioned spear in a lagoon they have about a mile away is where they do most of their spear-fishing in these cleverly designed peg-traps. Now, they do have a sort of religious ceremony where the entire village gets together to go out with a net right here to catch fish. It's effective, but more social consciousness than anything."
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-04-08 at 02:09 AM.
    Current Games

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, considering it was just a way of breaking the ice with our new furry friend, it is hardly a problem if we don't catch anything, especially considering the hook is bait-less right now." Sadi offered a wink, "Bread doesn't stay on a hook for long once it hits water. Don't worry little tom, I've sailed with much worse than someone who looks strange and I expect many of the crew can say the same. Now old captain Brick was an ugly man, hair everywhere instead of fur, he looked wretched when wet."
    Last edited by Bladehunter217; 2013-04-08 at 08:14 AM.

I'm back.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Darrius move along to continue his morale tour and his own partying.
    Current Games

27. - Top - End - #1227

As the expedition finally loads up people to leave Renkrue (again), Shouting Tree returns. His presence was missed the entire time. As he enters the village on the way out, a black panther walks next to him. It is not fully matured, and is probably faster than it is strong ... but it is still a panther.

The villagers of Renkrue aren't sure what to make of this, and for the most part stay very, very still. The panther looks about as it walks, its mind unknown as to the frightened meat around it or oblivious to what it scares.

When Shouting Tree gets to a launch, there is some nervousness on the parts of the passengers. Mr. Cohen smiles and says to the pilot, Lirith, "We'll get the next one."

As that load heads out, the passengers look on, worried that they might see that panther again very soon. Then again, the bestial man perhaps draws more fear individually. Together, however, they are a terrifying duo to the non-adventurous types.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

When Sadi sees the pather, he freezes and watches it intently. "That creature." He muttered before speaking a little louder, "Is beautiful. Tom, has that feline always been around, or is it only sometimes in existence."

I'm back.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

"KITTY!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I explain that this cat is new to me, but I don't know where/how he got it.

While in town I stock up on mundane adventuring gear to replace the stuff lost earlier.
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2013-04-12 at 10:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1230

At Tom's shout, the jaguar's ears flattens and it crouches. Shouting Tree doesn't try to calm it, but rather crouches low with his spear towards Tom as well.

Tom, is your "Kitty!" backed up by a relentless desire to move forward and pet the "kitty," or was that enough to keep your distance?
    Show