Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss, muttering about how great of an idea this was, swipes at the zombie again. Now that she finally has a feel for the weight of the weapon, she swings it in a way that she knows will avoid any random collision with the zombie and slash it across the chest.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:
    (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage:
    (1d4+3)[5]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-04-10 at 01:47 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T19: Celiss, muttering about how great of an idea this was, swipes at the zombie again. Now that she finally has a feel for the weight of the weapon, she swings it in a way that she knows will avoid any random collision with the zombie and slash it across the chest. It seems to have been a good idea after all, however, as she cuts a nice gash for 5 damage.

    R4T17: Darrius?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T17: Darrius spits another bit of spray at the back zombie, melting its upper left leg into its lower abdomen and destroying it. One zombie remains ...

    R4T11: The last zombie misses Celiss with its bite.

    End Round Four, Begin Round Five ...

    R5T19: Celiss?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss takes another swipe at it with the dagger, hoping to finish it off.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[7]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R5T19: Celiss takes another swipe at it with the dagger, hoping to finish it off. She actually makes a deep cut across its unresisting neck for 7 damage. It is still fighting, though.

    R5T17: Darrius? Do you spit into melee and finish this thing off?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He waits for a few moments to see if he can get in a shot without hitting Celiss and then lets fly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, I totally missed a turn. I'm sorry. >.< I thought the last time I looked it was Person's turn.

    Aye, spitspitspit
    RTA: (1d20)[17]
    Acid: (3d6)[16]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    And it is destroyed. What now? The pool in this room, or continue the way the zombies came from, in what seems like a partially submerged, semi-natural passageway?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss wants to either go down the passageway to see where it goes/use it to escape or block it to keep more zombies from coming through. I thing that we should either move down the passageway to see if we can find the source of these zombies-and a way out, hopefully, or just block the passage so that they don't just keep coming through. But first... She says, crouching to examine the fallen zombies. She wants to check how "fresh" they are-are these things someone dug out of a grave, murder victims or old, desiccated corpses from decades ago. Celiss will thoroughly check the whole thing, looking for decay, damage it had before the combat and other signs of how this thing died.

    DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on...Search? Knowledge? I'm pretty sure this is something you'd roll.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss and Lazer (once she tells him what she's looking for) look the bodies over. Unfortunately, the problem with necrotized and animated flesh is that their is no continuation of the decay process. Well, there is somewhat, but on a truly elongated scale that baffles you.

    The thing that finally guides you is their dress. Mind you, their clothes are in tatters (though, as before, their studded leather is still at least protectable as "padded armor"). However, Celiss is finally able to step back to look at the clothes and armor style. It turns out they tend to mimic styles of pirates that haven't been in vogue for a couple centuries! (Let's hear it for the party historians ... mainly Celiss!)

    Lazer processes this information. One one hand, there is the unexplored pool in this chamber; perhaps there is a waterway that leads away to safety, one which Darrius could explore since he can breathe water indefinitely. However, he is pretty sure that there is some kind of critter(s) in the water that were snacking on the nasty zombie flesh from last night's conquest; he's none to keen to deal with creatures that would eat such fare. "For now, let's follow the 'zombie tracks' he says," regarding the door where the latest zombies were fought.

    The sloshing sound comes from the churning waters of a sea cave. Fueled by what must be powerful submerged currents. The water laps and splashes against the walls of the twisting natural cavern that leads to the west. A sandy slope descends from the door down to the edge of the subterranean tide. Dozens of purple and red sea urchins glisten in shallow divots along the ground and lower walls here, their spines glittering with water. Water surges out, and back in again, but never more than a foot deep.

    The real challenge of this part of your journey is the creature that is standing there 10' from the party (as the crow flies) as you round the corner. This creature would require 3 squares to reach, and possibly more because of the water. It is what was once ostensibly a man, but is now a skeleton. It wears tattered and rusted chainmail, but a nice golden holy symbol of Olidammara, God of Thieves.

    R1T20: While its reflexes do not appear exceptional, the shock of seeing such ancient death is enough for this thing to go first. Instead of rushing around to meet the party in melee, it reaches into an old pouch and pulls out a small piece of rotting parchment .... and even though its vocal chords are all but gone, it hisses an incantation and waves its hands in the air as the parchment disappears and this thing is bathed in a shimmering, magical field.

    R1T18: Korian, still wounded and obviously inexperienced compared to the rest, keeps his position and delays.

    R1T13: Darrius, you easily recognize that this thing cast shield of faith, protecting itself with some form of deflection field. Oh, and you're pretty damn sure that it was not incanting to Olidammara! What do you do? Distance is actually 4 squares of movement, or 3 squares of LOS for spittle.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    The dark skinned man laughs as he sloshes forward through the waters, "Damnable dead thing, you think your faith will protect you? Think your death has given the Laughing Rogue the laugh?" Once he's got a good shot lined up, he launches a glob of caustic slime at it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift: Just because his Walking Around allocation would have one in the Pelt (taken from the Spit, so 1 in each soulmeld), he'll spend a swift to allocate back to combat status.
    [1] Adamant Pauldrons: 25% Fortification, DR E/Law
    [1] Crystal Helm: +2 Rest to Will vs Charm/Compulsion, +E Deflection
    [2] Dissolving Spittle: 1d6+Ed6 Acid at 30ft
    [0] Worg Pelt: 2+2E Competence to Stealth

    Move: Into line of sight, out of the way of anyone else trying to get into melee

    Standard: Some of that thar spit
    RTA: (1d20+4)[23]
    Acid: (3d6)[12]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T13: The dark skinned man laughs as he sloshes forward through the waters, "Damnable dead thing, you think your faith will protect you? Think your death has given the Laughing Rogue the laugh?"

    Once he's got a good shot lined up, he launches a glob of caustic slime at it, nailing it in the upper right thigh for 12 acid damage.

    R1T9: Celiss?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss, unsure on how effective her unarmed strikes, sword or dagger will be, decides to move up and go for a rib-smashing attack.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[4]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T9: Celiss, unsure on how effective her unarmed strikes, sword or dagger will be, decides to move up and go for a rib-smashing attack. She only gets 5 feet, however, and realizes she has to be a lot more careful in her step in the 1' of surging back-and-forth water. She is trained in balance work, however, and makes it right up to the unliving mockery. Skeletons are supposed to be mindless, relatively benign undead ... with no spellcasting capability. She swings at the thing, but recovering her balance causes her to miss. Also, because she is still balancing (even standing still), she is 'flat-footed' (though that really only makes her lose a point of AC).

    R1T7: "Careful, Celiss!" calls Lazer. "That's a heucuva, I'm sure of it! Only silver can harm it; your fists are useless. It's fist carries a wasting disease called 'heucuva blight!'"

    Lazer tries to follow behind Celiss, but falls after moving 5 feet (where Celiss was before moving). Embarrassed, he gets up.

    End Round One, Begin Round Two ...

    R2T20: The thing begins to cast a spell, without any regard for Celiss. She tries to catch the thing off-guard with a spearhand, but she goes off-balance and loses her action next turn as she tries to regain it. Its eyes glow malevolently as it stares at Darrius. Darrius feels uncomfortable, with a faint sense of dread building, but he is able to shake it off quite handily.

    R2T13: Darrius? Because Celiss is off-balance and without action, she is no longer 'threatening' the heucuva. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He spits again, hoping he doesn't hit Celiss.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have time to write out a better IC

    RTA (1d20)[12]
    Acid (3d6)[7]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T13: Darrius spits again, hoping he doesn't hit Celiss. Though the dark-skinned man seeks to curb his wild nature enough to hit his target, Celiss' off-balanced footing slightly backwards actually clears the heucuva for an easier shot, and Darrius' spittle hits it right in the head for 7 acid damage ... enough to destroy it!

    Battle Over ...

    A search of the heucuva's possessions reveals rusted chainmail; it can probably protect as well as studded leather, but is worseless for sale, but once again Korian - obviously a survival mentality even in such dire situations, removes his zombie-rotted studded leather to wear the heucuva-corroded chainmail. Its SCP (spell component pouch) is worthless for re-use or re-sale. The only item of real value to the party as a whole is a golden holy symbol of Olidammara, which Darrius-aiding-Lazer determines is worth about 50 gp, which Lazer takes and holds for a "party treasury."

    Lazer: "There could be something more monstrous, and the Heavens help us if there is. But I'm inclined to believe that the heucuva cleric was probably the one leading the zombies."

    Lazer recommends leaving this sea cave for now, and only coming back if things really require it for a swimming escape ... but for that he would want to check the partially-flooded chamber first, since it doesn't appear to be surging so violently. The party continues on its course, carefully navigating the slippery, slightly sloping, foot-deep (or more) sea chimney with the mildly churning water. The passageway ends with a door, and this one appears actually appears shut.

    Darrius checks it and there appear to be no traps. However, there are plenty of bony scratchmarks at the door ... which is locked from the inside. Considering the scratches and that the heucuva priest had no keys on him (or, considering former worship of Olidammara, any lockpicks), it is assumed that the skeletal abomination couldn't get into this place himself. Darrius also notes that this door HAS been disturbed in relatively recent times (less than centuries, at least).

    Darrius takes out his mini-mobile-mechanic's set and pops the lock in a very short time, then takes his place at the third rank again. Celiss opens the door (5PW, so no one else). The smell in this chamber is horrific, a cloying stink of rotting meat rising from the bloated, seeping body slumped in the middle of the floor. The corpse's dark, almost black flesh bulges against its armor, ready to burst at the slightest touch. An intricate tattoo of a dragon clutching a flower is barely visible on his shoulder against the diseased flesh, and clutched in one hand is a crumpled scroll. Though Korian managed to get used to (barely) the charnel stink of his armor, this room overwhelms his senses such that he pukes in the sloshy passageway outside. (There are several small steps leading up to this door, so no water is in this room.)

    Darrius is asked to check the body in case it (or the scroll it carries) is actually some smuggler's macabre dead-man's trap. Nothing. This Lazer is very thorough ... possibly a little too thorough, given Darrius' chaotic nature. Lazer then observes the man before allowing the scroll to be removed. "Seems to have taken two good swipes of a claw that is probably our late heucuva friend's. This guy finally succumbed to the heucuva blight."

    The scroll is removed, and Lazer reads aloud:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A handout will be sent via Email.

    While Lazer reads, Darrius is set to carefully removing his gear .... yech! ... along with Korian, who has been tasked by Lazer to overcome his squeamishness - "I warrant you'll see more death before things are through in your long quest!" - and help Darrius with the body. The studded leather is actually quite serviceable, but it HAS to be cleaned before re-use. Since Korian is interested in nicer studded leather than the rusted chainmail, he'll take it to the passageway outside and start cleaning it the best he can. Meanwhile, Darrius also finds a gold ring on Penkus' bloated finger; he and Lazer value it at about 100 gp. In the man's boot is a hidden dagger of very fine (yes, masterwork) craftsmanship. Lazer recommends that Korian take the dagger; it is superior to his claws and better balanced as well. It is also a holdout missile weapon, and Korian doesn't have any equipment .... any, but his soon-to-be-new studded leather armor.

    A quick search of the room finds nothing, but Lazer then orders a detailed search. This is probably getting to be too much for Darrius' who must be chafing against Lazer's very orderly and methodical approach ... but then it turns out (to Darrius' calm or inner wroth) to have been a good idea, for Darrius overlooked a secret door on the far wall of this 10x10 room in his original once-over.

    It's not long and the door is open. The air in this 10 x 15 room is stale, yet unlike the other chambers in the complex the place seems quite dry - even dusty. Cobwebs hang in thick sheets from the ceiling, and against the northern wall sit three large sea chests. PAYDIRT!

    Darrius takes his time - likely no complaint for doing so this time - and manages to pick the lock of all three chests (DC 25, but taking 20). The first chest is filled with thousands of copper and silver coins!! The second chest holds a dozen bags, 10 of which hold scores of gold coins each, and the latter two bags hold an assortment of gemstones!! The third chest is the big prize: 8 vials of fluid, a small stick of carved white birch (all register magical); a small jade coffer which Lazer estimates to be worth 300 gp. Inside of this coffer, resting on a tiny velvent cushion, is a light brown gemstone; a strip of parchment identifies it as an earth elemental gem.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss and Lazer can both cast detect magic limitlessly. As such, they work together, with Celiss outstripping Lazer's skill quite capably. Meanwhile, Korian's keen nose is made to determine what smells the same (and looks the same to the others).
    3 potions are the same: potions of cure light wounds.
    4th vial: potion of lesser restoration.
    5th vial: potion of invisibility.
    6th vial: unknown, but moderate aura of transmutation.
    7th vial: potion of cure serious wounds.
    8th vial: unknown.
    White Birch stick: wand of mage armor, 11 charges remaining.
    Elemental Earth Gem: When crushed, smashed, or broken, a Large earth elemental appears to serve the one that crushed the gem.

    At this point, without having explored the pools in any but one of the far eastern chambers (where there was nothing), you have gone through the entire complex. Without exploring water, there doesn't seem to be any egress from the smuggler's caves other than the chimney you entered. Since Darrius has food enough for one more day, and Lazer can purify the seawater for drinking, Lazer recommends the party takes a respite here to count and sort out the remaining treasure....

    In the first chest, there are 7500 cp and 1500 sp in all.

    In the second chest, each of the 10 bags of gold contain 100 gp (1000 gp in all). The gems, all told, are worth about 250 gp.

    It takes awhile to count and sort and appraise, including the efforts from above. The door to this room is locked, which is wherein you keep 'camp' for it is large enough, is secure and concealed as nothing has gotten here for a looong time, and isn't wet or death-stinky. Light spells used to help with illumination. The doctor casts 2 CLW spells to heal himself and Korian up to full before they lay to rest. However, it should be noted that Darrius ends up being guilted to give his last extra ration of fish to Korian, who is complaining that the one ration of salted fish wasn't enough. It takes Darrius listening to Korian's tummy to "prove a point" that Darrius (seconded by Lazer) realizes that Korian actually does seem to be in need of more food for some reason.

    For now, the wand will be in Celiss' care, everyone will get a potion of CLW, except for Lazer who holds onto the CSW and the unknowns, as well as (fitting for a dwarf of Moradin), the elemental earth gem ... but only until you get back to CIVLANT for proper divvying up. All of the coins will stay here for now until you get back safely and then can come back in some manner to start taking things back.

    The next morning, it seems that the rest has done the young Korian quite well. He even seems to hold himself more ... impressively. So much so, Celiss realizes that he has gone through a growth spurt (as was expected for the young animal-man) that has only now been noticed. First, he has put on a lot of muscle. A lot of muscle. If he stands at full height, he is now an even 6' tall, having come up from 5' 10" and now exceeding Celiss by an inch. He has put on several pounds as well and now weighs 184 pounds (though Celiss still has a good 40 pounds on him). He seems to be as strong as Celiss now, though - as before - much more lean. His fur has thickened enough now that it provides just the barest bit of natural protection. His teeth are probably at a point where he could use them as weapons if he wished. Finally, there is a more of a stillness and perceptiveness in him.

    Once you back out of the hidden chamber (and reset the secret nature of the door, but memorizing its place and function), you head out to the sea-cave. The water is actually 3' deep, difficult to move through (Lazer needs help), and the churning is signifcantly worse. Celiss figures that it must be tide-related. It seems dangerous, so the critter-pond is seen as (hopefully) a better place from which to escape.

    When you get into that large chamber with the pool at the south end and the fallen zombies, it is evident that there has been a lot more snacking on the zombie bodies. It seems that there is some carrion eater(s) in the water, though from the function of the more stray woundings it/they don't seem very large.

    Darrius, water-breather and relatively unimpaired in the water, you. You are asked to take what precautionary measures you may, but to go under and scout out for danger. What is your E-set (and mark it on your sheet).
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T23: Darrius as soon as you get within 5' of the edge of the water, he notices several shapes milling below ... crabs that are each about 2' wide in diameter. A few seem to notice you and snap their claws underwater. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He raises a brow as he notices the figures in the water and takes a step back to see if they follow after him, "Well then, crabs it seems. I suppose that means we might have food if we're stuck here another day, or several. Anyone want to try to catch them? Put them in a backpack or something?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    If we're actually in rounds, he's keeping an eye on the crabs and not really in full defense as that'd look silly for just a few crabs, but not blatantly ignoring them or anything.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T23: Darrius raises a brow as he notices the figures in the water and takes a step back to see if they follow after him. "Well then, crabs it seems. I suppose that means we might have food if we're stuck here another day, or several. Anyone want to try to catch them? Put them in a backpack or something?"

    R1T22: Korian, in a joking tone, says, "Hey, water makes things look funny, but they're kind of big and your much more suited for water combat. I'm fashioned after a wolverine, you know. It's not like we're good at fishing." (He delays, such as it is ...)

    R1T20: Darting out of the water, onto shore, is one of these crabs, and it skitters right up to Darrius. It snaps a claw at Darrius, who dodges easily enough. Still, this 2-foot-diameter crab and its powerful-looking pincers look like they could probably take down a normal man!

    R1T19: "Wow," says Korian, genuinely surprised. "Musta' been the way water makes things seem bigger or smaller. I didn't realize they were that big! Plucky little bugger, too."

    Korian rolls forward into a ball that curves around Darrius to slam this thing from its forward right side, doing 6 bludgeoning damage. It gets knocked back 10' ... back into the water. Meanwhile, at point of impact Korian pops out of his ball form right in front of Darrius (and between the water), as mists of cold mist form around him, partially concealing his position.

    R1T18: A crab comes right to the water's edge at Korian's feet and tries to snap at him but misses.

    R1T12: Rabbi Eliezer rushes forward to stand side-by-side with Korian and swings, but his warhammer just chips off the edge of this new crab.

    R1T11.9: Celiss, Korian and Lazer are right at the water's edge fighting a crab in front of Korian. Darrius is behind Korian. You can step into the water and attack the crab from the side, or you can move around to the 'far side' next to Korian to create a fighting line of three (and you'd still get a single attack at this crab). What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss will move into position next to the others, going after the crab's eyes, glad to be fighting something that isn't undead. This sort of thing would probably end up as their standard tactics from now on, it worked pretty well.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-04-17 at 04:29 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T11.9: Celiss will move into position next to the others, going after the crab's eyes, glad to be fighting something that isn't undead. This sort of thing would probably end up as their standard tactics from now on, it worked pretty well. She strikes the carapace near its eyes, but not enough to crack its shell.

    R1T10: A crab comes out of the water and snaps at Lazer.

    R1T9: Another crab comes out, and pinches Celiss' right knee for 2 damage. The thick-limbed human woman is too big for it to get a good hold, though.

    R1T1: Yet another crab comes out, and on the outside to attack Lazer in the right foot for 2 damage.

    End Round One, Begin Round Two ...

    R2T23: Darrius, you are behind Korian and not threatened by any crabs. Celiss is ahead to your left, and Lazer ahead and to your right. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He'd have hoped to get them a little further out of the water, but then again he also didn't really expect them to come out at all. He shifts around a bit until he finds and opening and applies the best weapon he has on hand.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift: Back to 2 in the Spit, out of the Pelt

    If I can get around into flanking position without biting a ton of AoOs, he's going to do that (drawing the MW Dagger if its not out already). Preferably one on the end so he flanks two of the crabs.

    If I can't get around without taking AoOs (can't really tumble in water unless he's actually swimming I'm guessing), he'll Spit into Melee.

    Dagger:
    M.Attk: (1d20)[19] +4 for a Masterwork Dagger/Str/BAB, +2 if Flanking
    [Critical Threat! Yay, no more Undead!]
    Piercing: (1d4+2)[3]
    SnA: (1d6)[3]
    Crit Confirm: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...7#post10796957

    Spit:
    RTA: (1d20)[14]
    Acid: (3d6)[10]
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2011-04-17 at 05:01 AM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T23: Darrius hoped to get them a little further out of the water, but then again he also didn't really expect them to come out at all. He shifts around a bit until he finds and opening and applies the best weapon he has on hand. The bile-tasting tang in his mouth becomes more pronounced, even as the worg pelt becomes semi-insubstantial.

    He bolts around and to the right, and comes around the back end of Lazer's crab (since he is likely to need the most help ... watching him woffing around that warhammer is actually kinda comical). Darrius is now in knee-high water. Darrius stabs in straight, trying to get in-between the thick upper shell and the thin lower shell, doing 10 damage.

    R2T20: Darrius notes that the crab Korian partially cracked and bull-rushed in his bizarre move, has moved up to him and is snapping away at him under the water.

    R2T19: Korian focuses his defense on the crab in front of him. The strange, partially concealing cold mist disappears, practically breathed into Korian's nostrils as he sniffs the air. Though his bite misses, his two claws strike for a total of 8 damage.

    R2T18: Korian's crab counterattacks. Its claw snaps very well. Yesterday, there is no doubt that it would've hit; but not today, for Korian seems to have learned or adapted Celiss's very analytical defensive techniques, but has adopted to them to a far more intuitive degree, even improvising on some of those defensive kata.

    R2T12: The flanking has made a big difference, and Lazer's warhammer connects for 3 damage. This thing is barely moving now.

    R2T11.9: Celiss? You got a crab in front of you, uninjured. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Making a mental note about Korian's continuing development, Celiss will turn her attention to the task at hand: getting rid of these things so she can figure out what's going on with him. So she'll lash out at it, going for a kick from below and following up with a punch from above.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry of blows
    (1d20+3)[21]
    (1d20+3)[23]
    Damage
    (1d6+3)[7]
    (1d6+3)[7]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T11.9: Making a mental note about Korian's continuing development, Celiss will turn her attention to the task at hand: getting rid of these things so she can figure out what's going on with him. So she'll lash out at it, going for a kick from below and following up with a punch from above for a total of 18 damage, dropping the crab.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please roll crit confirm in IC, so I don't have to cross-reference between two threads. That should be the time you actually "earn" the right to double post as a player. Also, crits are not doubled base damage, but rolling damage as many times as the multiplier indicates.

    R2T10: The crab flanked by Lazer and Darrius nips the dwarf in the right hand for 2 damage.

    R2T1: The crab on Lazer's side crushes a small part of the dwarf's left calf, but even though the claw seems to have gotten through the armor it didn't seem to hurt Lazer for some reason. ???

    End Round Two, Begin Round Three ...

    R3T23: Darrius, you are flanking a crab with Lazer. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He winces as Celiss crushes the crab she attacked, no doubt making a fine mess of the contents and making it that much harder to eat. However, the shell was certainly cracked, and that was always half the battle. He is about to take another stab at the crab between himself and the dwarf when he notices the lack of pain in the dwarf's eyes despite his little friend giving him a nasty hug. He shakes his head as he dagger whips out at the crab, "Strange times all around. Whats next, scales?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hah, foreshadowing.

    Stabbity stab stab
    Attk: (1d20+6)[7]
    Pierce: (1d4+2)[6]
    SnA: (1d6)[1]

    Minimum roll, maximum roll, minimum roll. A rollercoaster of rolling, indeed!
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2011-04-18 at 10:44 PM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T23: Darrius winces as Celiss crushes the crab she attacked, but at least she didn't smash it so hard as to blast crab guts everywhere. However, the shell was certainly cracked, and that was always half the battle to getting a good meal. He is about to take another stab at the crab between himself and the dwarf when he notices the lack of pain in the dwarf's eyes despite his little friend giving him a nasty hug. He shakes his head as he dagger whips out at the crab, "Strange times all around. Whats next, scales?"

    Instead of a slice, Darrius opts for a stab. Unfortunately, a cut might include some of the bludgeoning force of impact, and the dagger - by a freak mischance - so fully is reflected by the man's attack that it comes back and a second later, Darrius sees the dagger in his hand holding his weapon at his groin muscle, having nicked the femoral for 11 mod damage, his essentia-charged adamant pauldrons minimizing damage, but not the self-inflicted critical. No doubt, he is somewhat confused by this as he pulls out his dagger.

    R3T20: The crab behind Darrius snaps at him.

    R3T19: Korian only scores a single claw strike for 4 against his crab ...

    R3T18: ... who misses Korian on the counterattack.

    R3T12: Lazer takes a sidestep 5' to his front and right, now making himself flanked by crabs. This puts him 5' to Darrius' front and left. He tries to concentrate on a spell while maintaining some semblance of defense, but fails and loses the holy energies he was preparing with which to heal Darrius.

    R3T11.9: Celiss? You'd have to travel around to get to the dwarf and man, or you could just try to free up Korian whose next to them (and gets three attacks) by taking care of his crab, instead. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss will move to attack the crab currently keeping Korian busy, indicating with a movement of her head that he is to assist Lazer.

    To allow Korian to move unmolested, Celiss will try and bring the crab down for the count, aiming to smash the front of its shell.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[23] (Am I flanking the crab with Korian?)
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T11.9: Celiss will gesture that she will attack the crab currently keeping Korian busy, indicating with a movement of her head that he is to assist Lazer.

    To allow Korian to move unmolested, Celiss will try and bring the crab down for the count, aiming to smash the front of its shell. She does so, and it goes down hard.

    R3T10: The crab that was being flanked (but Lazer just went offline) snaps at Darrius and misses.

    R3T1: The crab that had gone around the side is now flanking Lazer with the one that was being flanked by the heroes. It wrenches Lazer on his upper right arm, but the dwarf moves deftly enough that it fails to crit him (2 damage).

    End Round Three, Begin Round Four ...

    R4T23: Darrius, you are being flanked by two crabs. Because you are in a foot of water, you don't get to take a free 5' step (2 squares of movement). If you don't want to be flanked, you still want to possibly target both crabs, and just move 5', you can still tumble one square to the left easily. (DC increases by 2 for difficult terrain, and again by 2 for additional opponent threatening.) Fighting defensively is another option. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    For the moment he'll stand his ground, trying to keep an eye on both crabs even as he thrusts out with his blade at the one that is further into the pool of water.

    Spoiler
    Show
    So, fighting defensively.
    Attk: (1d20)[14]
    Pierce: (1d4+2)[5]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T23: For the moment Darrius will stand his ground, trying to keep an eye on both crabs even as he thrusts out with his blade at the one that is further into the pool of water. Had he thought less of his defense, the attack would have been successful, but his dagger once again bounces away.

    R4T20: The same crab is knocked a little from the impact on its shell, however, and misses Darrius.

    R4T19: Korian steps forward 5' to attack the one in-between the two non-warriors squarely instead of from an angle. His claws miss (one nearly disastrously so), but his bite comes in squarely for 5 damage, stopping the crab.

    R4T12: Lazer steps forward into the square of the crab Korian just downed and casts a spell. He touches Darrius for 9 healing. Lazer doesn't seem pleased by the result.

    R4T11.9: Celiss, only two crabs remain. One is 10' into the water, poking just above the surface and totally fine with attacking underwater as well. It is partially wounded. The other crab is by itself (Lazer just moved 5' from it) around the opposite side of the heroes' battle line and is unwounded. It would take you 15' of movement to get to a point to attack that one. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-04-19 at 10:45 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •