Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss moves five feet, so that she is as close to both Darrius and Lazer if possible. She keeps an eye on both crabs, getting ready to unleash a flurry of attacks on either if it comes within range.

    Actions/Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to flurry of blows at the first crab that comes within range.
    Rolls:
    Attack: (1d20+3)[8]
    (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]
    (1d6+3)[8]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T11.9: Celiss moves five feet, so that she is as close to both Darrius and Lazer if possible. She keeps an eye on both crabs, getting ready to unleash a flurry of attacks on either if it comes within range.

    R4T1: The crab on the far side misses Lazer.

    End Round Four, Begin Round Five ...

    R4T23: Darrius, you were fighting defensively, you are healed almost to full, and there is a crab in the water behind you. (Most of it is submerged, but you don't suffer penalties for fighting in the water, so I'm no doing any adjustments either way for you or the crab.)
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He whirls about and thrusts the blade forward and down into the crab, hoping to piece its shell.

    Spoiler
    Show
    >.< Though I'd posted last night.

    Attk: (1d20+4)[10]
    Pierce: (1d4+2)[4]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T23: whirls about and thrusts the blade forward and down into the crab, hoping to piece its shell, but the dagger merely glances.

    R4T20: The dagger counters, but is blocked by Darrius' armor.

    R4T19: Korian tumbles around the side and flanks Lazer's crab, biting down into the crab for 7 damage.

    R4T12: Lazer's hammer bounces off and bonks him in the shoulder for 3 damage.

    R4T11.9: Celiss?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss moves to support Darrius. If she can, she'll move so that she can unleash a flurry of blows, but if this isn't possible she'll go for a flank.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[13]
    (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage:
    (1d6+3)[8]
    (1d6+3)[8]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T11.9: Celiss splashes out into the water to flank the crab fighting Darrius. Though flanking, the crab has good cover and she misses.

    R4T5: The crab Lazer is fighting actually catches the dwarf in the left shoulder while he is in a fighting crouch and pinches him for 4 damage. The rabbi is significantly wounded now.

    End Round Four, Begin Round Five...

    R5T23: Darrius, you are now flanking with Celiss! What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He glances over at the rabbi with a frown as the crab continues its miraculous string of victories. With Celiss to draw the crab's attention between them, Darrius is able to take a half moment to find a spot on the crab's shell and once against thrusts forward with his blade.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[10]
    (1d4+2)[4]
    (1d6)[3]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R4T11.9: Celiss splashes out into the water to flank the crab fighting Darrius. Though flanking, the crab has good cover and she misses.

    R4T5: The crab Lazer is fighting actually catches the dwarf in the left shoulder while he is in a fighting crouch and pinches him for 4 damage. The rabbi is significantly wounded now.

    End Round Four, Begin Round Five...

    R5T23: Darrius, you are now flanking with Celiss! What do you do?

    R5T20: The crab misses as well.

    R5T19: Korian claws his and Lazer's crab for 4, then again for 5. The crab goes down.

    R5T12: Understandably, Doctor Cohen casts CLW on himself. You never would've expected a single spell like that to heal his wounds at one knit, but so compassionate and holy is he that he heals the 11 damage done to him to bring him up to full.

    R5T11.9: Celiss, you realize from before that punching your fists into/ through water isn't effective: you're not as well protected, and the force of a fist is not only slowed for likely less impact but also thrown off target. You are in water that is chest high, but still flanking with Darrius (which is still important for his success). What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Gritting her teeth, Celiss shouts a quick Draw it out of the water! Before attacking the crab again, hoping to give Darrius an opening to move back.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry of Distractions!
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage:
    (1d6+3)[9]
    (1d6+3)[9]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R5T11.9: Gritting her teeth, Celiss shouts a quick Draw it out of the water! before attacking the crab again, hoping to give Darrius an opening to move back. Her first fist splashes, but moves enough water that her second fist strikes the shell true with a crack for 4 mod damage.

    End Round Five, Begin Round Six ...

    R6T23: Darrius, you are pretty sure that a crab, which knows nothing of tactics, will simply go for the waterborne morsel .... so drawing it out won't work unless everyone's out ... and Celiss is exposed in the water. However, it looks like this crab is almost done. What do you do?

    (P.S., you know it is better to stab then cut with the dagger in the water, even with you as a natural swimmer.)
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-04-22 at 03:12 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius

    He shakes his head, "And leave you stuck in the water with it? I think not." However, a distraction given is more than enough, so he hopes, and yet again thrusts his blade forward in hopes of piercing the shell.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attk: (1d20+6)[19]
    Pierce: (1d4+2)[4]
    SnA: (1d6)[4]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius shakes his head, "And leave you stuck in the water with it? I think not."

    However, a distraction given is more than enough, so he hopes, and yet again thrusts his blade forward in hopes of piercing the shell. And that was just what was needed to finally kill the crab!

    The crabs are brought up onto the shore. "We'll eat good tonight!" says Korian excitedly. "I mean, it's not often we get to eat our enemies, right?"

    Wounds are checked, and Darrius and Celiss both have about the same amount of minor wounds (90%), so no healing magic is needed at this time.

    "Well, Darrius," says Lazer, "here is where we call upon your aquatic expertise. Unlike you, I can only hold my breath a respectable amount of time ... but not indefinitely. I shall help you explore this pool, and move out into it to find an exit. If it goes on too far, however, we need you to fill things out. Since you're human, even though amphibious, I'll put a light spell on your armor."

    Sure enough, the kelp-filled pool quickly drops to non-wading depths. You [Darrius] and Lazer easily locate a dead body in the pool and bring it up. The body is not very old at all, maybe a week or so, and is crab-eaten and soggy. He has one item of value ... a masterwork silver dagger.
    .................................................

    *** At this point, Korian recommends Darius keeps his normal masterwork dagger, since he fights well enough with his claws. It's true, he seems to be particularly adept with his claws, though his bite is a bit sharper. However, he would like the masterwork silver dagger, since the silver can harm some creatures (like vampires and werewolves, whose allergy to silver is legend), things that his claws and bite can't hurt, whereas Darrius' keen skill at finding weak spots - or his acid - can help to mitigate silver issues. Celiss, likewise, has other 'weapons' (magic missile, if not others now or later), and Lazer figures that he is so weak as it is, that it really doesn't matter what material he fights with. Sheets have been updated as such.
    ..................................................

    You [Darrius] and Lazer continue to explore downwards (he doesn't know you can see in the dark unless you tell him). There seems to be a light current coming from a submerged tunnel that is no bigger than a foot wide. It is too small for any member of the party to go through, and looking with the light and darkvision both, it seems to be that width for as far as the eye can see. You have been underwater for over 5 minutes (about right for a tough seacliff dwarf's breath-holding power), and without finding anything you both depart.

    You glide through the water easily, slipping around the kelp almost like an eel and get up on shore. You look back. No Lazer. You wait a few seconds more. Still no Lazer. Alarmed, you glide back into the water ... and Korian and Celiss both (maybe) move into the water.

    Darrius finds him first. It seems that he has gotten wrapped up in kelp, and then in some roots as well from thrashing from nervousness. He is panicking, his eyes bulging, and now gasping for air. Korian and Celiss can't quite get to him from the uneven ground without pushing Darrius out of the way. With your new, sharp dagger you furiously start cutting at the roots and kelp to free him.

    Lazer goes into convulsions. Still you try to cut as best you can. Lazer stops moving. You see into his eyes as they dilate. It happened all too quickly and unbelievably. You cut as best as you can, and some 6 rounds later you cut him free.

    That is when his pupils snap back from dilation, and his face goes from the slack dead-man's face to one again with life. He seems confused, and the three of you help him out of the water. He doesn't vomit water, or breathe heavily, or anything.

    In fact, he isn't really breathing at all .... dunh-dunh-dunh!
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-04-23 at 01:22 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    At this point Darrius is stuck firmly somewhere between overwhelming shock, utter confusion, and the tremble of his body as adrenaline slowly leaves his system after having worked furiously at the kelp holding Lazer in place. He's no clue what to say or do.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    [EDIT: The soggy body that was pulled out of the little crab pool also had a tattoo on his shoulder, partially there because of crustacean crunching, of the same type as that of Penkus - a dragon clutching a flower.]

    Lazer, whose panoply of mixed emotions seems to mirror those of Darrius, seems to search internally and then in a mix of confusion-come-wonder says "Moradin was merciful. Still ... this, plus my not being affected by Celiss' growth spell. This may take some investigation."

    Within seconds, his uber-charisma (which was always uniquely super-dwarven to begin with) snaps to and he says with his mix of command and compassion, "But another time. We have pressing matters here."

    The now or never here is the sea cave wherein you fought the heucuva. The creature, no longer in a suspended level of decomposition, smells terribly. Korian manages not to gag, but he does better then the tough Celiss ... who does evacuate last night's salted fish before she rallies (but only with Doctor Cohen's help). (Blech!)

    The western cave has the largest pool, and the water level is much higher overall. The heucuva cave itself is limned with all manner of sea urchins and churns enough to seem too dangerous, but the light shows a 12-foot-deep pool in the western cave. Darrius and ... yes ... Lazer go into the water. At least there doesn't seem to be any big bunches of kelp or anything to trap him in this place. Darrius locates a 5-foot-wide tunnel easily, and it seems to twist and turn out of sight. Lazer calls for a return to the others.

    You both return to the other two and tell of what you see. Darrius' supreme prowess in the water is known. Korian knows the most basic parts of swimming, enough to keep afloat in calm waters. There seems to be a strong, but not overwhelming current educting some of the water outward (which is replaced by turgor pressure from the churner in the heucuva cave; the current is actually how this spot was guessed). As such, Korian might have difficulty, and who knows where it goes. Celiss, however, is looking at a death trap. She doesn't know how to swim in calm water, and a current is downright deadly.

    Decision by Lazer: Darrius should have no problems, and Lazer is an accomplished swimmer. (Darrius has heard that despite being weak of arms he is one of the best swimmers among the dwarves of Sasserine.) They shall scout out the tunnel together and report back.

    Lazer leaves a light on one object of each character's choice that remains behind. Darrius, without making a check, easily navigates the strong currents. It does not go unnoticed by him, however, that the same holds true for Lazer. I'm not saying that he is a very accomplished swimmer that manages to do well ... No. First, he seems to swim with the same ease (i.e., may Take 10 despite the currents) as yourself. Second, and most alarming to Aquaman, is that he also appears to swim at Darrius' 25' swim speed without any problem whatsoever! No crap-kidding he's reputed to be the best dwarven swimmer in Sasserine ... he doesn't need to breathe, he can Take 10, and he has a swim speed that nearly rivals a landlubber's walking speed.

    The submerged tunnel travels in a twisting course some 70 feet before emerging from the sea bed. Lazer casts light on a couple of rocks to mark the exit point. This is now the super-final wow. You see, Darrius, you have a pretty good knowledge of spell mechanics - uncanny for one of your profession - but so far proven useful. A landlubber can not modulate their voice underwater to cast spells with verbal components. It's not about training. Unless they have a spell to help them (water breathing is enough), it simply can't be done by 'force of will.' Light requires verbal components (but not somatic), and Lazer casts light underwater like any other race that is naturally adapted to aquatic life and casts spells ... you clearly hear an aquatic version of Lazer's voice casting the spell.

    It is 20 feet to the surface. It is evening, and it will be sunset in an hour. You are in the harbor between Parrot Island and the gate that separates Shadowshore from the Cudgel District. It's only a 50' swim to the island shore. Lazer calls out, "You've got rope. Head to the island, find the entrance, and clear it of the rocks. Then open it up and tie your rope to the notch. I'll go back in ... I marked the entrance with light ... and I'll get the others to meet you below at the entrance."

    Seeing that it is only inviting disaster to make the others swim the gauntlet, you have nothing to argue. You do as told and swim to shore, find the entrance and clear it, and tie off your rope and wait.

    Down below, Lazer pops back up about two minutes from the time he and Darrius left. Lazer tells what he knows, and the party backtracks to the original entrance, but not before Korian grabs a couple crabs. "What? I figure we'll eat good tonight, right? Celiss, want to help? I'm sure Lady Lavinia might not mind."

    Lazer has to tell Korian that the lady has probably eaten and that these crabs would just be brought, smelling, into her house. But Korian doesn't care. If no one else, he wants to enjoy the kill. There is Darrius up top, waiting. Lazer gets tied off (cause he just can't climb) and pulled up with the help of Darrius and Celiss (who made it up easily enough) up top and Korian (who doesn't need the rope) alongside. Two crabs were sent ahead ... enough to feed everyone for crabmeat for dinner, assuming that other things from the larder are added .

    You find your boat where it was and return it. Vanderboren Manor is billed for the late fees. You return to the Manor.
    .................................................. .

    Lady Lavinia is so relieved. She had filed reports concerning the missing party - gone for three days (I think that's right). She is just fine with her chefs doing what they can with the crab. Lazer gives the full accounting, but I imagine everyone has their bit to say, though Korian isn't very chatty. Lazer shows Lavinia Penkus' letter, and reminds her that it was he that sealed them in the cave for their supposed doom. She reacts with shock, but quickly steels her emotions.

    Lavinia looks at all of you. "I still believe that Vanthus isn't beyond redemption. Please capture him alive. If he makes that impossible, though ... I only ask that you make his death quick and merciful."

    For Korian's bravery and stalwart actions, he is also invited - and accepts - employ in the service of House Vanderboren.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-04-25 at 12:17 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    The following day, Celiss is summoned to see Lady Lavinia in private.

    A stranger is there with Lady Vanderboren. She is attractive, but not overly so. She seems to have some breeding, but middle class.

    Lady Lavinia starts, "Celiss, this is Joyce of Geoffrey, from what remains of the Kettite Kingdomes to the North. She has come to talk to you about your family."

    Your family? You are an orphan raised in the Carmending monastery ...

    "Good morning, Miss Nightrom," says Joyce. "I must say, my company will be charging your estate a tidy sum for the magics used to find you, as well as for future dispositions. I am the legal executor and confidante of your grandmother, Hilaire Nightrom. She died five weeks ago.

    "It seems that your mother was disavowed for bearing child out of wedlock by Lady Hilaire. She died in childbirth after travelling, alone and with no note of a father, and died in childbirth at the Carmendine Monastery where she sought shelter for her very difficult pregnancy. A request was made and honored by your dying mother that her child - you - be raised in the monastery. She said something about 'the pain family would bring' and died.

    "Anyway, Lady Hilaire had a long illness that spells could only stave off bits at a time before she said it was time to pay her breath to time and mortal custom. In this time, we drew up very complete plans to find you and to ask you to assume the title as the new Lady Nightrom. This is not a landed title; rather, your grandmother had become quite successful in her youth and earned a fortune as an adventurer. Something it seems you share with her, from what Lady Lavinia tells me. As such, Lady is merely a heritable honorific with no political power.

    "Nonetheless, your financial holdings are reputable, and many persons are in your emply. Our firm currently holds management of your estate. I have two contracts of acceptance of probate here. The first is if you wish to return with me to your famiy estate and take up direct running of financial matters. The second is a contract showing a breakdown of our firm's management of estate, with an income-verse-commission comparison. We make good money, true, but you would still reap the lion's share. The money owed to your estate proper would be held in trust with banks and investors for your further gain. It is simply not cost-effective transporting currency at regular intervals for a living stipend.

    "This second contract is in lieu of Lady Hilaire proudly hearing of your adventuring potential. Like I said, expensive divinations were commissioned to know of you, and she died before having a chance to bring you back and share with you her stories. Don't worry, she wrote many memoirs that were reprinted and are quite popular food for bards. What say you?"


    I'm sure you look over the contract, and they are exactly as they seem: that you effectively accept repatronization with your family and are awarded by a large estate and either you go home and take up a local mantle, or have the option to stay or go where you will, and your estate will be managed until such time as you return. A signet ring will be given to you for ease of identification. (Obviously, more powerful magics can be used if you lose the ring.)

    Celiss Nightrom, what do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss simply stands there for a few moments, processing everything. It was strange how, in such a short time, she had gone from an orphan raised at a monastery to the heiress of a large estate and title.

    The temptation to go with this woman, to find the home she never knew, was there. However, Celiss had made a promise to aid Korian in his development and she was sure that her grandmother would have preferred-no, would still prefer, watching down from whichever celestial realm her soul traveled to-for her to continue her life as an adventurer.

    I, Celiss begins, unsure of how to word her next statement. I will stay here. I have...obligations that I need to take care of. It was a bit interesting how she was following in the footsteps of her grandmother to an extent-hopefully she'd avoid getting a fatal illness sometime soon.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "Alright," says Joyce. "But if you do not accept either contract ... as in, signed ... then this is moot and your estate becomes absorbed by Ket for its own purposes. Believe me, the government is more than interested to position for gaining all Nightrom holdings. This is why I, who have travelled three weeks to get here, am in haste. Ket will stand no stalling. Not even our group can prevent that. Even now, I hope and pray that a return trip will be without any incident that I may be safely sped on my way."

    She gives you an inkpen and the second contract.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss takes the contract, reads it quickly(taking a moment to search for fine print) and, unless she finds anything that would make her do otherwise, signs it in a mixture of curved and squared writing, somewhat resembling arcane symbols.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    For Celiss ...

    Your thumb tingles as you write, and you notice that the ink is a beautiful scarlet. Once you have finished writing, only then do you notice that your thumb is quite bloody, and the inkpen seems to be filled with it.

    "Essence of leech," says Joyce with a smile and a demeanor somewhat more smug than before. The contract becomes covered in licks of flame without being consumed, and chains of force wrap around it and the whole thing flies into her hands. "The essence of so lowly a creature keeps you from really feeling the bloodletting of the pen that siphons your blood for ink. Healers refer to it as an 'anaesthetic.' Don't worry, it's easy to bind."
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    I'm sure you look over the contract, and they are exactly as they seem: that you effectively accept repatronization with your family and are awarded by a large estate and either you go home and take up a local mantle, or have the option to stay or go where you will, and your estate will be managed until such time as you return. A signet ring will be given to you for ease of identification. (Obviously, more powerful magics can be used if you lose the ring.)
    "The contract mentioned repatronization with 'your family', but never specified at that point whether that was the family from your mother's or your father's side. That was merely assumed in the discussion concerning the late Lady Hilaire Nightrom ... who was your grandmother."

    Celiss might want to react or speak, but suddenly she is held almost paralyzed by intense pain. The inkpen won't release from her grasp, but the cold iron casing melts away into a fluid form. It is searing hot and crawls up your hand, across the back of the very sensitive hand, and wraps around your right ring finger. The ring's facing turns into a scorched cold iron with a facing that appears as a tower inside a reversed pentagram, and a tiny face superimposed on that one. As the pain subsides, you realize that Lady Lavinia seems motionless, paralyzed just before a scream. Then, you feel the same magical paralysis ... strong magic at that ... wrap over you.

    "Unfortunately for any financial aspirations you may have held, the worth of the estate was in souls, not money. The physical estate itself, though large, is run-down and in disarray. The businesses run by our firm were purchased or invested into by Lady Hilaire at our firm's quiet urgings into her last insane year before we finally freed her body and enslaved her soul for eternity. She is damned from her own actions, despite once being a paladin and an evangelist bard."

    You figure that this is some type of hold person effect, and desperately try to fight against it. It is no use. The magic doesn't even budge slightly. You are way beneath this woman's power.

    "Your mother's family is, by its own free will and prior misfortunes of fate, gone. Your father's family is what courses through your veins. He is very anxious that your arcane and martial prowess should advance. To that end, your signet ring is now a bonded item. When you meditate with it, as you gain magical prowess you will unlock secrets that are not known by mortals. It is the arcano-martial secrets of the Telg-ak, which loosely translates as 'swiftblade.' In time, though at the cost of some pure spellcasting power, you will be able to blend the two together so seamlessly that you will very nearly step through time in short bursts.

    "In the meanwhile, your ring's individual power will also grow with you. It protects you mildly by deflecting weapons. After awhile, you will be able to use your spirit essence to reform it at times in your career to provide other benefits with which to protect you. You will have to research that on your own, for not everything should come easily to you."


    Joyce begins to show horns poking out of her head. Her boots rip and breeches tear upwards as her legs turn into thick cloven hooves, and a tail with a double barb - looking like a two-tine trident - appears from behind her.

    "Will you or no, your monastic training is done ... at least for now ... and for a long time to come. Your mind, spirit, and body will be too busy trying to comprehend its growing nature for now. For now, don't worry about trying to increase your stamina; that will come. You will soon find your body becoming ever more agile than you had expected. Your first task instead should be to grow with your adroitness and learn to focus on defense. Not only is this the first stage of developing the skills of a Telg-akkar, but you will be hounded by many who sense the evil that will displace your human flesh in lieu of accommodated infernal flesh. Dodging will be more important that stamina."

    [OOC: Your Dex is going to go up sooner than later. Take Dodge before Endurance. Endurance was merely to take a pre-req feat for Tattooed Monk, which won't be for a long time ... as you had initially charted anyway.]

    "Your father knows that you have studied in a center of morality that focuses its attentions to the beauty of life. This was intended; this gives you the edge in understanding that mindset better and more intuitively than he himself can do simply from study. Don't fool yourself in thinking your mother was a sainted dupe. Hilaire Nightrom unwittingly married a harvester such as myself for the very purpose of corrupting her and giving birth to your mother. Your mother, a half-fiend, had liaisons with your father, a full devil. Your father is one of the greatest Telg-akkar and assassin in infernal history, a greater assassin than any dogai even, and is - linearly speaking - Royalty in Hell. You will learn - or you may attempt to fruitlessly research - him. The mortal planes know little of him, so your research will be for naught.

    "Again, this morality will be useful. You will tire of being considered evil by every paladin with a hair-pommel and a sense of skewed racism. And that is to warn you now, as well. It may take two days or a week or more, but the first stage of your transformation will occur soon. Cutting off your ring finger will do nothing but maim you and it will appear elsewhere ... on other fingers, on your toes, as an earring, a nose ring ... and you will find that no force on Oerth can remove it by simple force.

    "If you wish to learn these secrets to fight him, instead, we - for he has many, many working for him - will try to dissuade you. If you persist, however, he will enjoy the challenge of a cat-and-mouse; but he requests that if you take this ridiculous and futile route, that you at least learn as much of the Telg-akkar secrets as you possibly can, and then some, before seeking him out. It is suicide otherwise.

    "This transformation, as I said, will hit you in short order. You will find that certain spells will cease to function for you ... such as your enlarge person, which in your merry band will now only be of use to your furry, flying druid; or the aquatic ancestor of Mikath, Shadow Dragon of the Reeking Deep and his mate Sholieth, Black Dragon Despot of the Hidden Fens. You, your wolverine-man companion, and the corrupted, despicable faux-dwarf (himself son of Therkridsolarathar of Mercuria) have no ability to gain from such a spell. Though it might take longer for the Son of Hleid to tap into his demigod nature, soon it will become apparent that the three of you must protect your lives more dearly than most mortals, for simple spells of re-animation will likewise fail to affect the three of you without truly powerful magics.

    "Prepare yourself for this in what manner you must. I have allowed this lady here to witness that you were unwilling to do this. Maybe she will have mercy on you and keep you in her employ, despite your heritage. But already you will begin to feel your ring whispering secrets to you. It is 9:37 and 45 seconds. You will be freed in ten seconds from now ... Mark! I have a meeting in five seconds."


    With that, and no further information, she disappears with what must be a powerful teleportational spell ... leagues of power away from what you can use ... and she disappears. True to her word, 10 seconds passes from her second mark to the point at which you and Lavinia are no longer held.

    Lavinia looks at you and says, "I am sooo sorry, Miss Nightrom. I will not divulge any of this, not even to my trusted rabbi advisor. She said very clearly that you still have free will, even if you become somehow 'tainted' with evil. I will continue to employ you, and I hope that your friendships and my love can keep you righteous. My only worry is what he meant concerning Darrius and most importantly to me ... why Rabbi-Doctor is called 'corrupted.' That latter is one I want you to research with discretion. I have been given Korian's story, and that I think I understand, even though the business concerning magical effects is well beyond my undertanding."

    Already your ring begins to tingle ... even burn and sting slightly ... a sensation you find never leaves you. It is a small punishment for greater power, but one which will test your endurance and your ability to sleep.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-04-26 at 10:40 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss will tell Darrius about what happened, giving him a brief explanation of the events and the most likely consequences thereof, as well as asking him to inform her if he notices any changes in behavior.

    After speaking to Darrius, she explains to Lazer and Korian that she will be undergoing changes, deflecting most or all of their questions.

    When Lazer is busy Celiss will speak with Korian and Darrius, explaining in greater detail what the woman said, informing them of her mention of Darrius' descendants, Lazer's ancestry(and apparent 'corruption'), as well as their supposed immunity to low-power resurrection magic.

    Shortly thereafter Celiss cuts her nails down to almost nothing and does multiple tests on her hands, checking if they respond the same way to outside stimuli(i.e. do they still hurt normally or are they numb, tougher, etc.). Then she collects samples of her blood, hair and the flaking skin.

    After all of this, Celiss studies for any sort of mention of this sort of thing, briefly looking for mentions of Telg-ak(although she expects little success) as well as a possible method to permanently fuse arcane spells into one's soul.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This isn't one of those cases where you'd roll for me, is it?

    Does the Vanderboren library give any bonuses to this? Or would I need to go to another one to look for this sort of information.

    Know(arcana): (1d20+10)[28]
    Know(the planes): (1d20+9)[22]
    Just in case: Know(history): (1d20+10)[12]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    'Mikath, Shadow Dragon of the Reeking Deep and his mate Sholieth, Black Dragon Despot of the Hidden Fens'

    Darrius doesn't rightly know how to respond to this. How could someone show up out of nowhere and claim to know so much about such a select group of people. The figure had used deception to lure Celiss in, but used very specific wording to make things appear as truth, and apparently knew quite specific truths about Celiss herself. The question at the forefront of his mind is whether or not these dragons were/are real, and once he can ascertain that fact he'll have to present his findings, and ever more questions, to his family.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Darrius is also going to be researching, looking into the names of the two dragons as given. With time, he'll also be enlisting the help of the Elder Spirit soulmeld, which grants 4+2E Insight to Arcana, History, UMD, and allows them to be used untrained. So, either +13 or +15 (with the capacity feat) to Arcana before the skill point and level up (to a max of...+18?) and History at +9 (or +11 based on level up for the +1cap to all melds)
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Celiss ... After speaking to Darrius, she explains to Lazer and Korian that she will be undergoing changes, deflecting most or all of their questions.
    Korian, figures that if you wanted to say what, or knew what, you'd tell him. Otherwise, "unless it's dangerous" it's your business. [See below...]

    Doctor Cohen says, "Well, Celiss, I want you to understand that I'm here for you as a physician if you need my services. As the Vanderborne physician, I am sure I will not be embarrassed or shocked by any situation you may have. I leave it to you to talk to me if you will."
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    When Lazer is busy Celiss will speak with Korian and Darrius, explaining in greater detail what the woman said, informing them of her mention of Darrius' descendants, Lazer's ancestry(and apparent 'corruption'), as well as their supposed immunity to low-power resurrection magic.
    "Why aren't we telling Lazer?" asks Korian. "What corruption? He seems to be the one of the nicest persons I have ever met, despite his physical weakness. Shouldn't he be told of any corruption so that he can be aware of it if not already? 'Sides, "

    Celiss, Yeah, actually, I'm interested in seeing you IC what exactly you say concerning Lazer's ancestry. Joyce only mentioned he was corrupted, and that imperviousness to restorative magics ... but not why.

    Also, do you tell Vakrissa when she checks in? As a druid, she might be sensitive to unnatural influences, and not know how to react if surprised by something later.
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Shortly thereafter Celiss cuts her nails down to almost nothing and does multiple tests on her hands, checking if they respond the same way to outside stimuli(i.e. do they still hurt normally or are they numb, tougher, etc.). Then she collects samples of her blood, hair and the flaking skin.
    Without the healing skill, no matter how intelligent you are, beyond simple obvious things you have no idea how to go about this. Without access to a better library, and a healer who can see diffentiations over time, you really can't do anything.

    Still, you collect samples of hair, skin, and .... how do you collect samples of blood? As brilliant as you are, your alchemical knowledge stops at being able to spell "alchemical knowledge" (albeit in several languages), and your medical knowledge is far, far, less than that.

    You file down the nails, but you are noticing that they are extremely resistant to such, but you do it.[SPOILER]
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    This isn't one of those cases where you'd roll for me, is it?

    Does the Vanderboren library give any bonuses to this? Or would I need to go to another one to look for this sort of information.
    Actually, I still roll for knowledges. However, by prompting me that you try to find out information, that helps remind me to look ... also choosing a 'tactic' (such as the family library) is a good way to help your cause as well. The library is a good one for a noble family, but not a great one. The only member of the party who is permitted to use the academy library is Lazer, as a graduate. Not even Lady Lavinia herself is afforded that opportunity; nobles usually pay sages in their employ or on retainer (such as .... Lazer) to do such research for them, anyway, or otherwise purchase books on their own.

    Ironically, both from library access and outstanding medical knowledge, the one person who has been excluded for fears (and possibly rightly so) concerning a hidden/unknown corruption is the very one that has the keys to this kingdom. Ah, isn't life grand?
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    After all of this, Celiss studies for any sort of mention of this sort of thing, briefly looking for mentions of Telg-ak(although she expects little success) as well as a possible method to permanently fuse arcane spells into one's soul.
    Nothing on that term. Lavinia's parents really didn't have much on planar subjects. Too abstruse for a 'team' that was more worldly in exploration and adventuring.

    Also, you find nothing on the fusing-to-soul bit for magic. [However, if you are referring to a game mechanic, and I am not getting the reference, let me know.] The closest thing you find concerns a) sorcerers, b) users of incarnum (aka "soul magic"), and c) warlocks.

    You don't need any information on sorcerers (I hope), though the actual source of their semi-intuitive/ semi-developed (vice learned) powers varies. It used to be believed that it was draconic blood latent in the blood, but time has proven (and only recently) that a variety of odd backgrounds and traditions (some simple, some very bizarre or even alien) can infuse mortal blood with magic. The second part of this, the warlocks, is even more of an enigma on how the magic works. In their case, however, the magics are almost always "theorized" to be a mix of internal mutation or predisposition and either fey or lower planar heritage.

    It is at this point that Celiss actually finds (in the family library) some information on "incarnum." It is basic, and more categorical than practical. But Celiss now has a word for the "soul magic" that Darrius uses (and in turn is being tutored on basics by his mentor Quickslayer). She finds many helpful nomenclatures and shows them to Darrius, figuring he might find them helpful.

    Only knowing some of the basics, Darrius realizes that there is far more that the feral gargun himself knew of for melds. It only makes sense, why should such a creature know about more urbane melds that he can't uses as a totemist, anyway.

    See below ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    'Mikath, Shadow Dragon of the Reeking Deep and his mate Sholieth, Black Dragon Despot of the Hidden Fens'

    Darrius doesn't rightly know how to respond to this. How could someone show up out of nowhere and claim to know so much about such a select group of people. The figure had used deception to lure Celiss in, but used very specific wording to make things appear as truth, and apparently knew quite specific truths about Celiss herself. The question at the forefront of his mind is whether or not these dragons were/are real, and once he can ascertain that fact he'll have to present his findings, and ever more questions, to his family.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Darrius is also going to be researching, looking into the names of the two dragons as given. With time, he'll also be enlisting the help of the Elder Spirit soulmeld, which grants 4+2E Insight to Arcana, History, UMD, and allows them to be used untrained. So, either +13 or +15 (with the capacity feat) to Arcana before the skill point and level up (to a max of...+18?) and History at +9 (or +11 based on level up for the +1cap to all melds)
    From above ...It is from here that Darrius learns about mage's spectacles (and the rest of the urbane melds that Quickslayer would never know about). With Darrius' and Celiss' combined knowledge of magical theories and mechanics, he finally is able to produce them ... which in turn are used to reduce funds used to identify items through advanced knowledge of that kind. However, there is nothing about an elder spirit soulmeld, and thus Darrius knows nothing of that kind. He's never heard of such a thing, and would not know to invoke it.

    That said, Lavinia's parents (in memoirs) came across an evil incarnate who had several powers using draconic motifs that were unfamiliar to them. He was killed quickly, however, so no ability to study these effects were pursuable.

    Darrius, this means that you know there are such things out there, but you would have to do "real, hardcore" research ... not just a few rolls. Sometimes, it isn't so easy to unlock your heritage. Until that time, you have no access to draconic melds. The one exception will be dragon mantle, which will be more accidentally brought forth than researched (or even wholly understood).

    The library doesn't mention anything, but having a predilection for dragons anyway (your K: Arcana score might reflect that interest), you have heard of the name Mikath, a powerful dragon that supposedly existed several centuries ago. Mikath was allegedly (and legendarily) a shadow dragon; what that means and how it differs from a black dragon is unknown. What was known is that Mikath was a powerful necromancer of some sort, who loved to find underground hydras and create bodaks from them to fight his enemies, while using living umber hulks as shock troops. His destruction of a famous mountain city, a paragon of monastic skill and artistic culture, was wiped off the map some 500 years ago or so. Mikath's name ranks up there with some of the great evil dragons of old, as the most vile, viscious, depraved, powerful, and destructive. No legends exist of his demise, but considering his underground demesne and how long ago this was and how threatening he was ... most would agree that he has long since been vanquished by competing drow and their conjured or bound demonic servants - maybe even by a coalition of underground races. Rapacious creatures like that cannot be suffered long before being destroyed, if such nature ceases to be known.

    You don't know anything about a Sholieth ... but 'shadow' dragon is probably a descriptive term for a 'black dragon' .... and no draconic interbreeding with other dragons is known. Odd, for dragons are an unusually fecund race that (yuck) can breed (somehow) with just about anything ... and yet no evidence exists of any dragons that were of mixed sub-race.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Celiss, Yeah, actually, I'm interested in seeing you IC what exactly you say concerning Lazer's ancestry. Joyce only mentioned he was corrupted, and that imperviousness to restorative magics ... but not why.

    Also, do you tell Vakrissa when she checks in? As a druid, she might be sensitive to unnatural influences, and not know how to react if surprised by something later.
    Lazer's Ancestry:
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    You, your wolverine-man companion, and the corrupted, despicable faux-dwarf (himself son of Therkridsolarathar of Mercuria) have no ability to gain from such a spell
    Yes, Celiss will tell Vakrissa what she told Korian, Lazer and Darrius.

    About blood...yeah, I didn't really think much about how to do that. So I guess she won't.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    It so happens that Celiss trained in the dwarven language, and the first part of Therkridsolarathar, Therkrid-, means "Craftworker of Oaths." The second part of the name -solarithar, is by itself a Celestial name ... another language you had studied (oh, how things come together) ... which translates roughly (for Celestial is a language not meant to translate wholly to imperfect mortal tongues) as "Destroyer of Blasphemers/ Godless". Together it seems to be a very devout name that mixes Celestial-Dwarven elements.

    Lastly, you know that Mercuria is the second layer of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia. The Heavens are the very place you should hope to go when you yourself die.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mercuria
    The second layer of Celestia is also called the Golden Heaven. It is a place of thin air and high hopes, where golden light suffuses everything. Here, the slopes are tame, the valleys lush, and the streams fast-running. Plateaus and passes provide spaces for small settlements of archons and other goodly beings. Great tombs and wondrous mausoleums on Mercuria grant eternal rest to the noblest of fighters. Here, the inhabitants of Celestia honor their deeds during an annual Day of Memory.

    Mercuria is also reputedly the home of Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon, Lord of the Skies, and Progenitor of All (Good) Dragons.
    Unless Lazer is corrupted in some other manner, it is very possible that when a devil speaks of corruption, it may be an ironic form of saying that the dwarf is touched with the divine. When you think about it, it isn't too far from the truth. The young dwarf's hair is a light gray that encompasses silver and steel. Moreso than that, while a brilliant scholar (though nothing at all like yourself) and very wise (though you'd gather that Vakrissa is moreso, and even Korian might be intuitively moreso), you have never, ever known a dwarf with a personability and compassion and purity so replete. [He has a 20 Charisma! ... As a dwarf!]

    You didn't tell Lazer much of anything... other than that you'll go through changes. Soo ... what you meant to say is that you tell Vakrissa what you told the other two, sans Lazer?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-04-30 at 04:21 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ah, well, if that's what was meant by that Celiss wouldn't have mentioned it to the others, and would have explained the meaning of the name to Lady Lavinia.

    Additionally, she would find Lazer and tell him that a possibly reliable source has informed her that he has celestial heritage.

    Ah, the wonders of retroactively gaining knowledge.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    [Tacitus, take note of Celiss' post, above, concerning no special information passed on about Lazer.]

    Celiss, no need to tell Lavinia and Lazer separately, as the message is the same and he is conducting business with her when you find her.

    Upon telling them, Lady Lavinia says, "I knew there was some reason that my parents were his patron."

    Lazer nods his head slowly and says,
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I guessed as much. I now have a name for my father. You may remember when you met me, I was on the mission to free the Blue Nixie because of the debt I owed Lavinia's parents. That's because they were my noble patrons.

    "My birth was not witnessed, so much as I merely materialized on the altar at our temple bathed in a golden glow without a source. All of my life, things seemed to always be fortunate around me, and that in turn was interpreted to be why my small community of dwarven kin seemed to enjoy greater fortune. Some of that good fortune is that on very rare occasions I could heal with a touch, and I've since discovered that my predilection for medical studies includes the fact that I have been blessed with the powers of a healer. But it would take too much of their modest resources to pool to see to a top-notch education, so the Vanderborens were contacted and they agreed to see to my education at the Academy, where I excelled, though was not the brightest student, and got along very well with nearly everyone there - professors included.

    "I long ago figured out there must be some divinity within me. I don't sleep. I eat and I drink because they remind me of my need to share in the humility of my brothers bound to live off the bounty of earth and sea, and it is pleasurable to do so, but I don't need that sustenance; nor do I excrete waste. It seems that my body turns collected foods into some manner of vapor or something; yes, I fill up in proportion to my size, though have a healthy appetite, but the science of it is beyond me at this time. When your enlarge person spell failed to have an effect, I began to have my early suspicions confirmed that I may just be an Outsider, possibly even has blessed as a half-celestial.

    "Several things don't seem to make sense, however, with the half-celestial theory, if we assume a half-celestial dwarf:
    1. A half-celestial is barely Outsider - what is called "Native" - and still needs to eat and sleep and drink.
    2. A half-celestial is winged. I am not. However, though I am not even as strong as the most humble member of my community, yet I was always seen as a gifted athlete - hardy as my kin, true, yet immensely fast and agile. I can run, as you may have seen, two-and-a-half times as fast as a dwarf. Even in the water, I swim so quickly as to nearly keep pace with a walking human; and I do so with ease even in choppy waters. In fact, even though I am not warlike, I seem to be naturally good at the concepts of combat, and almost intuitively learned the entire realm of weapons that a seasoned veteran might know how to use.
    3. A half-celestial, unless partially aquatic, still needs to breathe air; yet, while a seacliff dwarf (seemingly), I since discovered that I can breathe water. I still need to breathe, of course, but I can breathe water now as easily as air.
    4. A half-celestial usually can 'naturally cast' - as a spell-like ability - some basic spells that protect or detect good. I can cast them as actual spells as a healer, but I possess no such innate magics - at least now that I understand my healing abilities more.
    5. A half-celestial can call upon the power of the sun for illumination as daylight as often as he desires. I cannot do anything so powerful.
    6. A half-celestial can focus his divine heritage to smite evil. I cannot.
    7. A half-celestial has a slightly thicker skin, like padded armor normally, to protect them. My skin, though soft on the very surface, has such tension and thickness underneath as to be like double-strength cuir boulli leather.
    8. A half-celestial does not have elven nightvision. I do, in addition to my dwarven darkvision.
    9. A half-celestial is immune to disease. Though a little bit hardier than most dwarves, I have still had my fair share of illnesses.
    10. A half-celestial has very strong resistances to acid, cold, and electricity. I am as prone to these as any other dwarf.
    11. A half-celestial is as hard to hurt with any weapon as the zombies we fought, excepting magical weapons. Though my skin is thick, yet a good strike cuts or bruises me as any other.
    12. A half-celestial is usually quite noticeably stronger than others of their race. I am actually a little weaker.

    That said, there are some things that seem to be specifically non-dwarven:
    1. A dwarf knows how to use his low, thick center of gravity to keep his footing better than most. I do not, and am embarrassed to say that I am quite easy to bowl over, though I am about 20-30 pounds lighter than many of my kin.
    2. A dwarf is better than most at resisting a wide variety of spells. Though I am possessed of a keen mind, resilience, and athletic, yet my academy training has proven that I am more human in being 'weak' in such matters.
    3. My sight and hearing seem to be significantly of the norm, and yet I have absolutely no affinity with stonework, metalcraft, or gemcutting.
    4. Though I am intuitive with a wide variety of weapons of war, yet the dwarven waraxe is a mystery to me, even though a greataxe or the warhammer isn't.

    Finally, I was teased in my preparatory school days because of my minority dwarven religious beliefs. Though I couldn't hit hard at all, yet my knuckles and hands seem to be particularly hard and resilient, and I would cracks ribs and noses, much to my horror and those of my peers. And anyone that tried to hit me usually got struck first.

    "Frankly, I'm stumped."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-05-01 at 01:20 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss puzzles over what Lazer says, unsure of how to continue. She would do some research, but the dwarf had almost certainly already done so himself.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss, true enough, indeed. You are significantly more intelligent than Lazer (who himself is a genius and a great scholar), and are more learned in planar phenomenon. However, his desire to learn of his heritage means that while you understand some of the nuances of a half-celestial, Lazer has put significant study into this, which is why he knows such exacting details.

    Lady Lavinia, anxious to gain increased loyalty from her mensches (and increased capability for them), realizes that no access - not even guests to the library, which is famed and protected - instead hires a wizard tutor from the academy by the name of Damaal the Wry. The morning is taken up by understanding the power matrices of more powerful spells than you can cast, including getting a feeling of what spells you find might find useful in your line of work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What two 2nd-level spells are you going to learn for next level????
    During the mornings hands-on laboratory studies, you get cut by a very sharp razor, but it seems that your psoriasis kept you from suffering any injury.

    In the afternoon, you are tutored in more advanced arcane theories, various traditions and creatures, and spell mechanics and theory. It is a mentally exhausting day.
    ...............................................

    Darrius, Lazer had contacted some of this contacts at the academy concerning the concepts of incarnum. He then worked with Lady Lavinia to start ordering prints of some of the manuals that had such material in them. Her library grows.

    The first few books actually give you the means by which you may expand your store of essentia exponentially, by a means of meditation and study, and this is how you spend your morning.

    The afternoon sees you trying to work with your newfound Dark abilities to see how useful you might make them in combination with your observational skills to read lips, eavesdrop, and notice very particular small differentiations of materials that might translate to trap detection.
    ..............................................

    Vakrissa spent the entire day at the arena, training in all manner of weaponry, defensive movement, and advanced defensive strategies. In the evening, she returned and studied under Korian for defensive movement as well.
    ...............................................

    Lazer spent the morning at the academy to increase his knowledge of religion and history. He spent part of his afternoon among 'his people' at the synagogue. The last part was spent in conference with Lady Lavinia and some of her business contacts.
    .............................................

    Korian appears to be going through a growth spurt. He eats massive amounts of food, but spends most of the day sleeping.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-05-05 at 06:11 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    At dinner, Lady Lavinia and Lazer appear to be somber. "If you haven't heard," she says, "old Keltar Islaran, the harbormaster of Sasserine, has been murdered! Details of how the deed as done vary wildly - the only thing the rumor mill seems to agree on is that he was killed in his bed late last night and that the body was left in an especially gruesome state of evisceration.

    "Gods preserve him, for he was a good old Lord. Some of his employ might have been crooked, but none could look on Lord Islaran himself and accuse him. But we must turn our attentions to problems nearer to home, and nearer to my heart.

    "I encouraged you, despite the times, to enjoy Freeday as the day of rest it is. Tomorrow, however, I want you to begin your search in earnest for my brother Vanthus."


    Lazer stands up. "Looking for these 'Lotus Dragons' isn't going to be a joke. But because of the discretion required, this is a minimal operation, I'm sorry. It is just going to be myself and Darrius. Otherwise, contacts and sources will dry up. It might be more dangerous for the two of us, but the rest of you will have to wait here. I'm the only one with the connections and ability to gossip well here along with good disguises, and Darrius is also a familiar fixture without being too attached to the Vanderboren House. Darrius, you'll be my counter-intel security."

    That evening, no one does any training ... it's drinking or cards or some other genuinely recreational activity.
    ............................................

    PLANTING 8, 589 CY (Starday)

    Darrius, the next morning you and Lazer leave to try and get some information on 'Lotus Dragons'. Lazer manages to disguise himself absolutely perfectly as a dwarf of low means, yet easy to talk to. Now, Penkus' letter mentioned the Taxidermist's Guildhall, but Lazer wants to see if he can get any information ahead of time before the group storms that place.

    The morning is spent IG (info gathering). Darrius, you're not an unlikeable fellow, but .... while Lazer (especially for a dwarf) has jaw-dropping charisma and magnetism, he is really, really good at a) getting people to talk about things they wouldn't otherwise discuss, and b) putting disparate information together. This guy is a downright flat-foot. (Gather Info w/ +10 modifier, not to mention Appraise, Diplomacy, Sense Motive of high rank, and a naturally good Bluff mod.) Here is what a few people put forth...
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The Lotus Dragons are a new guild of thieves - they seem to be a lot more organized than the other fly-by-night guilds that have been popping up over the past few years."

    "I hear that they've got more than people working for them; they've got ties to animal smugglers, and keep the worst of the lot in their guildhall as guardians."
    IG in the afternoon reveals nothing new.

    Celiss, Korian and Vakrissa spend the morning in physical training. Korian does a massive workout rep and then works with Vakrissa on defensive combat, and you're right there during the intensive physical workout. In the afternoon, Korian continues his intensive physical regimen, while Vakrissa goes to work at the arena. Celiss' tutor is there to work with her on spell theory and mechanics.

    [Done for now; sleepy...]
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss asks Darrius and Lazer about what they learned during their outing shortly after they arrive, hoping to piece together at least a framework of what happened back on the island.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •