New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question Summon Nature's Ally sources

Summon Nature's Ally spells can summon specifically designated creatures. The only creatures I've been able to find so designated are in MM, MMIII, and Fiend Folio. Are there other sources?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Summon Nature's Ally sources

I recall reading somewhere that there were some in the Book of Exalted Deeds, but I couldn't find any there when I looked. You've cited the only sources I know of, but I know that some GMs allow a wider range--though I don't know how they select the creatures they do.

3. - Top - End - #3

I just casually scanned my BoED and don't see any creatures designated as being summonable with SNA as, say, Sporebat, is in the Fiend Folio.

So far it just seems to be MM, MMIII, and FF.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ECS has a feat that adds a whole bunch of vermin to the list.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5

Are there any other sources out there? It would be nice to have a comprehensive list of SNA summonable critters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by backpackjack View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that there were some in the Book of Exalted Deeds, but I couldn't find any there when I looked.
    BoED p. 190, the sidebar at the bottom. However, it only adds creatures to the Summon Monster list. Very few sourcebooks add anything to the Summon Nature's Ally lists because that spell focuses almost entirely on animals, which are covered fairly well by the Monster Manual. The subsequent sourcebooks that add monsters generally don't include a lot of animals.

The three sourcebooks that added the most new animals were the environment-related books: Frostburn, Sandstorm, and Stormwrack, but instead of adding anything to the SNA lists, they added new branches of summon spells:

Conjure Ice Beast I-IX (actually a creation, not a summon spell, but grants access to ice beast versions of both SM and SNA lists)

Summon Desert Ally I-IX (separate summoning list, kinda a mix between SNA and SM list without all the extraplanar stuff)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    BoED p. 190, the sidebar at the bottom. However, it only adds creatures to the Summon Monster list. Very few sourcebooks add anything to the Summon Nature's Ally lists because that spell focuses almost entirely on animals, which are covered fairly well by the Monster Manual. The subsequent sourcebooks that add monsters generally don't include a lot of animals.
    There's also elementals (primary elementals, Salamanders, Tojanidas, Thoqquas), fey (Satyr, Pixie/Nixie/Grig), and magical beasts (Hippogryphs, Unicorns, Girallons). Lots of space in those categories for expanding the lists, if the responsible writers cared to think about it.