Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 200
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    It is a fairly normal day in central Tren. The plaza is a bustle, and while there are some unusual things around, there is always something, and people in this part of the world have come to expect a little color in their daily lives.

    As of now, a white-clad priest has hauled a soapbox near the central fountain of five marble horses, each spouting water from its mouth. The white-robed man, wearing the black pendant decorated with 5 rays of light associated with some sects of Lumina. He has started a passionate speech and is aggressively proselytizing for converts.

    "The light is your savior! And the shade it casts is your refuge from evil!" Most people seem to be scoffing at such speech, and simply going about the daily lives, excluding a few who have sat down on the ground to listen to the speech, forcing people to circle around them. "How can you not embrace the glory of that which allows you to live?" The priest continues, continuing his speech too quickly to allow for an answer. "Listen, my brothers and sisters!" He now seems to be aiming his words at the bystanders who are doing their best to ignore him. "Follow the Light and be saved!" This must be the aggressive conversion undertaken by the Illuminated here, annoying many and worrying some. Such tactics may mostly serve to annoy, but too many shall heed the call in some people's opinion.

    Ignoring the proselytizing priest in the central marketplace, one will see many other things more worth he average market goer's attention. In fact, most things in the Tren central plaza are worth one's time. Space in the plaza is valuable, and would not be bought for shallow purposes.

    Of course, some people get priority. Like the mercenaries from Belrondar supplying the men and women who watch the streets for crime and disorder. Their white brick house, an odd one, both a public service and private mercenary company, is situated prominently at the end of the plaza, just by the road leading directly to the majestic brass-domed palace overlooking the plaza, as if designed to draw the attention and impress those who would seek the guards' help. As of now, they seemed to be short on numbers, as a note was plastered to their wall, large letters at the top of the note reading "Hirelings wanted!".

    And of course, in addition to all the other shops, catering to the needs of the many, from food to fine carpets, there was the eternal classic of all adventuring. The tavern. A sign above the door of the rather shack-like inn, likely deliberately made so for atmosphere, read, "The Bountiful Plaza".

    All in all, the plaza is a rather colorful sight, each establishment tailored to the senses of their owner. As such, the styles varied dramatically from shop to shop, causing the place to seem slightly chaotic for the lack of ways to tie everything together. Still, Tren, the greatest center of trade in all of Kree, had certainly earned its reputation.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-01-07 at 04:12 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MammonAzrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Laraek

    Wandering among the various stalls and displays set up across the plaza is one more oddity that seems to fit right in by being just as different as everything else. A large, shining golem with a reptillian cast and metallic wings appears to be browsing through various vendor's wares, looking at an eclectic mix of items. Stopping and examining well-crafted things of all sorts one you assume it was simply looking for something specific for it's master, if one weren't paying much attention. It never glances at the preaching priest or any of the crowd unless they get in it's way, or get too close.

    If one were paying attention, they would notice the surprise shared by all the merchants when speaking with the construct, and it's clear intelligence. And it's autonomy, as it moves from baubles and ribbons to heavy armor to silver craft to leather work, with no goal readily apparent.

    Eventually it makes it's way over to the white brick house and the advert for help. After taking a moment to examine the notice, the house, and the guards, it strides forward to the nearest guard. "You are shorthanded. Am curious about this, and what you need more hands for. And what compensation is being offered." It speaks in a low rumble, void of emotion, stating simple facts.

    Frog Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Laraek is currently under the effects of all of it's invocations, and always is (except for magic insight). It renews them every 12 hours (or whenever it expends magic insight to identify something).

    This means he is constantly under the effects of endure elements, see invisibility, has blindsense to 30', darkvision to 60'.

    Laraek will be looking through the various items on display, with detect magic up the entire time. If anything magical catches his eye he will ask about it, then identify it, using the magic insight invocation. Unless you've got something special he finds, the only thing he is currently looking for is a Heward's Handy Haversack. Sufficiently nice Masterwork items may catch his eye enough to examine them, and perhaps talk to the owner, but he probably won't buy anything at the moment.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-01-17 at 05:31 PM.
    My homebrew - If you use it, please let me know how it goes!

    Current Projects - Warlock rewrite

    1st place in GITP Monster Competition LV and LVI

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Xaine

    From one of the side streets, an unusually grumpy young man emerges. He is heavily built, in a squarish barrel chest fashion, and his skin is dull bronze, as if tanned from long hours under the sun. Short, messy black hair crowns a plain-looking face, and frowning dark green eyes constantly glance around for potential trouble. A stiff bronze scale cloak hangs from his back, covering a small backpack of supplies.

    In the hustle and bustle of the plaza, he is just one more unassuming figure, that easily fades into the background (unlike the attention grabbing Dragon Golem yonder). In fact, he could easily be mistaken for a common labourer- were it not for the fact that he is decked out in stony gray crystal armor, and carries enough weaponry to outfit a small squad.

    The man takes a brief walk around the plaza, noting the important buildings and trying to get his bearings right. He was new in town, but was trying his best not to show it, least he become a target for pickpockets and the like. Not that he had much money to steal- he had spent much of his coin just getting here, but what little Dovyl he had left was the difference between a bed in an inn, and a night on the streets.

    Once he was satisfied with his explorations, he walks over to the Belrondar building, hoping there would be ready work available. Lo and behold, an advert was up on the wall! He stands before the poster, and takes in its contents.
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Ghost6442's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Lakarr'n (Lack arrren)

    It was probably fairly normal to see a plate mailed person walking through the streets, though it would be fairly odd for them to be a gnoll. But such was Lakarr’n and walk through the streets he did. He didn’t bare any insignia anywhere on his armour, shield or anywhere except on the signet ring that hung on a chain from around his neck, it bore the mark of the dwarven clan he was raised in, by a dwarven Doctor who had found him wandering in the mountains as a pup. The people in Tren expected to see odd things now and then, they probably saw them all the time it after all was the greatest centre of trade in all of Kree. So the full plated gnoll wasn’t really an issue just another oddity in a bustling market of oddities, rare finds and general junk.

    He needed some gold to further his travels, he had thought to sign up as a caravan guard, but it hadn’t sounded that interesting, though he had heard about the mercenaries from Belrondar and how they were looking for people. He was headed in that direction when a white clad priest baled him up.
    “Turn from the darkness and embrace the light! Without the light, you are but blind in the darkness, follow the light!”
    Lakarr’n looked at him slightly amused and curious.
    “I'm sorry, I already follow the light, the light of the purging flame that burns away sickness and pain and many other things that we normally don’t want burned, but such is the nature of a two edged sword with no handle. If in darkness do you not light a torch? And sometimes do you not need to stand in the shadows to better see the light? Also, I can see in the dark, that kind of invalidates your argument sir, so if you’ll excuse me...” he made to continue on his way.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Dacien

    Threading her way through the crowded plaza with practiced ease, Dacien drank in the sights, sounds and smells of the place, savouring the experience. The only thing to spoil the experience was the constant proclamations of the white robed priest. She sighed with mild annoyance. The disciples of the Illuminated seemed to be on practically every street corner these days; indeed, it seemed she could barely step out of her inn room without someone try to convert her. Still, what could you do about it, other than try to ignore it? Which is exactly what I'll do right now! Trying not to let the priest spoil her good mood, Dacien ran her fingers through her silvery-blonde hair, worn loose for a change, and laughed at the sky. For the most part she was ignored as people went about their business, but she did draw a few glances - some admiring or curious, others envious or lustful. Dacien smiled. It would be a sad day if she didn't manage to turn at least a few heads.

    Moving through the plaza, Dacien contemplated her options. It felt slightly strange to be wearing adventuring garb and weapons again after a couple of months of downtime. She adjusted the falchion sheathed slantwise across her back, beneath her cloak and backpack. Still, the new clothes felt good - comfortable knee-high boots, light woolen hose, leather skirt split up both sides for mobility, lace-up with shirt with plenty of pockets, and a fine weather-proofed cloak. Dacien hefted her coin-purse as she walked for perhaps for the fourth or fifth time this morning. Enough for a week at most if I keep up my current lifestyle; maybe three weeks if I move to cheaper inn and watch my spending carefully. She sighed to herself. Careful spending was something she'd never been good at.

    Enticed by the smell of food, she stopped at a vendors stall and purchased a skewer of braised beef, onions, and sweet peppers. Eating carefully, she couldn't help but let her eyes wander towards The Bountiful Plaza. Maybe a quick drink... and who knows what adventures I might find in there? Dacien finished her meal and began making her way towards the tavern, when something unusual caught her eye. There was a metallic dragon-man outside the Belrondar building... a mage's construct, by the looks of it, but with no apparent signs of its master. Curious. The "Hirelings Wanted" sign also caught her eye. Mercenary work... ugh. Still... prehaps a short term contract, if it's interesting enough? I can always ask there first, and head to the tavern if it's no good. She abruptly changed directions and headed towards the white brick mercenary headquarters. Today was going to be interesting - she could feel it.
    Avatars: "Fetlock Equinari, Ponytrician of Flanhk-Marepork, featuring Bank Chairman Mr Fusspot" by Dirtytabs; Ponified Othar Tryggvassen by Madcrafter; "Dexam with April from CRFH!!!" by Maritza Campos.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Chas O'Malley

    Three steps forward, one step left. Three steps forward, one step right. Two steps forward--an orphan seated on the ground stood in the way of Chas O'Malley's third step, listening to the evangelist. With his foot perched precariously in midair, Chas weighed his options. He could try to step over them; however, he knew that a stretching stride would technically be more than one step. He could circle around them to the right, but he had just gone right and didn't want to throw off the pattern. He could strafe to the left, but that's a step too early...

    About to fall, Chas is forced to plant his foot in a halting, stumbling step to the left. A whole step early, he scolds himself and shudders at the thought. Regaining his composure, the troubled man straightens the collar of his shirt and continues. Three steps forward, one step right. Wait, no, it's all wrong. Now I've taken 11 steps forward since the last cart. One step forward, one step left. Three steps forward, one step right. Chas lets out a content sigh, happy that he has regained his pattern.

    Immaculately pressed shirt and pants, Chas stands out from the crowd like a sore thumb, even without his strange route. He averts his eyes from all around him in attempts to distract himself from the sea of uneven knots, crooked buckles, and mismatched articles of clothing. However, the chaos overwhelms him, and he enters into a white brick building seeking a moment's shelter. He doubles over, hands on his knees, and attempts to regain his breath.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-01-10 at 11:31 AM.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    The note on the Guardhouse wall (Xaine)
    Hirelings Wanted!

    Theo Zindar, under the employ of the Nabach mercenary company, requests bodyguards on a mission to negotiate with the Aeral tribe south from Tren. The pay will be 50 Teryl in total, to be distributed among those who take up the mission. The group is to prove their competence to the mercenaries of the house before undertaking the mission.


    The note is signed: Marquis Nabach

    Laraek
    The guard looks at your slightly warily, clearly at least mildly surprised by the appearance of a winged humanoid dragon robot. However, it also seems that he has seen odder things, and calmly answers. "50 Teryl to be distributed among the takers." he points back at the note. "Go inside, and watch it with the wings."

    Lakarr'n
    The priest shoots the gnoll an incredulous look, opening his mouth only to be cut off by Lakarr'n's comments. "Do you know the significance of metaphor?!" The priest loudly asks, but can't get more out of his mouth before Lakarr'n starts disappearing into the bustle. The priest grumbles, and continues. "We see here again! The subversive threat wishing to turn us all from salvation!" He shouts as he wades through the crowd.

    Dacien
    You can see the winged construct conversing with the guardsman positioned at the door, along with the young man reading the note on the wall.

    Chas
    Luckily for you, the inside of the guardhouse is much more quiet and clean than the plaza outside. The room you enter, containing a door to a back room, a comfy looking armchair in the corner of the room farthest from the door, and a staircase upwards turning about 90 degrees in the middle of the length to accommodate for the corner in the wall. A mahogany hybrid of a desk and a counter resides taking up one end of the room, extending behind the staircase, having a chair both in front and behind it.. The room is empty of people except for one person behind the mahogany hybrid of a counter and a desk. The person seems way past his prime, at least in his fifties, his neck-length hair already grayed down from age. Still, even as he shuffles through his paperwork, he carries himself with the quiet dignity of an advanced age, taking over ten seconds before taking note of Chas from behind the round frames of his glasses. He looks up slowly, and finally speaks "Do you want something?"
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-01-10 at 03:57 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MammonAzrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Laraek

    Nodding slightly for the information, Laraek heads towards the building's entrance. The Aeral? Should the rumors prove to be true they should have some interesting items and lore. And Arriving under the flag of negotiations will likely grant me multiple opportunities to judge for myself. Yes, this could work well.

    Standing before the door it flares its wings slightly, stretching them, before heading inside. The wings disturb nothing, their movement leaving it's vest as clean and unwrinkled as it has been all morning. Only those without wings assume that we are not careful with them. I pity them.

    It stops just inside the door, looking down at the man hunched over in its path. Laraek gazes down at him for a moment, its metallic face naturally devoid of caring or curiosity or scorn, before stepping out of the doorway and into the room. Scanning the rest of the room, Laraek directs its voice towards the bent over man, "Do you require assistance?" Laraek's dull orange eyes brighten slightly as they land on the older man at the desk. It nods to him in greeting, waiting for a response from first man before approaching the older.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-01-10 at 04:05 PM.
    My homebrew - If you use it, please let me know how it goes!

    Current Projects - Warlock rewrite

    1st place in GITP Monster Competition LV and LVI

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Dacien

    Dacien wanders up to stand near the young man reading the notice and quickly scans it herself, noting that the strange construct has entered the building.

    "50 Teryl!" she exclaims. "Those must be some pretty important negotiations." She ponders the notice, tapping one well-manicured finger against her lips. Important in Tren always meant money. If they're willing to spend that much on bodyguards, then someone is planning to make a decent profit somewhere... still, why hire independants? Why not hire from within the Nabach? The thought intrigued her - this mission could be more than it seemed at first glance. Plus, she'd never heard of the Aeral tribe - but that didn't concern her, there were dozens of tribes living out on the Plains. The requirement for proof of competence was of no surprise - if the Nabach were paying that much, they'd need to know they were getting value for money.

    Nodding to herself, Dacien pulled out a leather headband to tie back the hair from her face, and with a swish of her cloak sauntered towards the door. "Good day," she said cheerily to the guard, showing him a bright smile. "I'd like to apply for the bodyguard mission."

    @Frog Dragon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just FYI, Dacien currently has Mage Armor cast on herself, in case it becomes relevant; and all her masterwork/magical equipment has her Arcane Mark cast on it.
    Avatars: "Fetlock Equinari, Ponytrician of Flanhk-Marepork, featuring Bank Chairman Mr Fusspot" by Dirtytabs; Ponified Othar Tryggvassen by Madcrafter; "Dexam with April from CRFH!!!" by Maritza Campos.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Xaine

    Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    "50 Teryl to be distributed among the takers." he points back at the note. "Go inside, and watch it with the wings."
    Xaine, suddenly looks up from the poster and glances around, while reaching back to check on his cloak, before realizing the guard was referring to the Dragon Golem. He returns to reading the poster, when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    "50 Teryl!" she exclaims. "Those must be some pretty important negotiations."
    ...a shrill voice from the right breaks his train of thought. He turns his head to give an annoyed glance at its source, but his expression quickly shifts to wide-eyed wonder, when he sees the blonde stunner (OOC: Ha!). He stares for a long while, as she cheerily ties her hair and walks into the building- undoubtedly to apply for the 50 Teryl job.

    It takes him a few moments (and a Moment of Perfect Mind) for him to collect his thoughts: The blonde was right, 50 Teryl was a lot of money. Although the fact that it would be split equally amongst all the bodyguards, meant that it was either meant to attract a legion of basic grunts, or a small handful of more experienced mercenaries. And right now, he wasn't which they were looking for... or even what category he fell under- he hadn't had very much actual combat experience beyond the sparring sessions with his teacher.

    Still, if he was ever going to make a name and fortune for himself, he had to start somewhere, and this was as good a place as any other. Hoping that the qualification trial wasn't too arduous, Xaine checks his belongings (and his cloak) before walking into the building, and joining the growing crowd of applicants at the reception.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Xaine will have bound Naberius to disguise his wings.

    Binding Check for Naberius: (1d20)[18] vs DC 15
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    "Do you want something?"
    Chas raises a hand and waves it slightly. "No, no, just catching my breath. Though..." he adds sheepishly, "would you mind squaring off that stack of papers?" Chas points to the paperwork through which the man had been shuffling.

    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    "Do you require assistance?"
    By the time Chas hears this second voice, he is able to right himself as the winged machine approaches him. "Erm, n-no thanks," he stammers, trying to make heads or tails of the creature. "Maybe you can help him with straightening those papers?"
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-01-11 at 10:31 AM.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Ghost6442's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Lakarr’n sighed he really didn’t like people like these priests, it wasn’t there religion that he didn’t like, it was the way they chose to share it, like it was an undeniable fact that only their way led to salvation... but really, what were they saving people from?

    Pushing these thoughts from his mind he headed over to the white brick building, he had heard about these mercenaries from Belrondar already. He didn’t look at the flyer he just nodded politely to the guard and entered. He looked around at the hustle and bustle, under the circumstances of a normal universe those gathered there in the door way could be seen as an odd bunch, as this wasn’t one of those normal universes, there really wasn’t anything strange about it.

    "Sorry if I'm interrupting, but we all seem to be milling in the doorway without any discernible purpose, I'm sorry where are my manners... I am Lakarr’n a doctor seeking a more interesting employment.”

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MammonAzrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Laraek

    Laraek looks down at the man at his strange question. The orange light of it's eyes swirls as it ponders the request.

    "Why?"

    With a final searching look, it dismisses the strange man since it's fit seemed to have dissipated. Laraek nods in affirmation of the newest creature's comment, "Indeed, the entry has become crowded." With that it turns and walks towards the older man sitting behind his desk. Stopping just before the desk it stands erect and regards him with the same dispassionate gaze that it views most everything. "Your requirement for guards to Aeral lands. Will apply."
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-01-17 at 05:32 PM.
    My homebrew - If you use it, please let me know how it goes!

    Current Projects - Warlock rewrite

    1st place in GITP Monster Competition LV and LVI

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Xaine

    The young warblade can scarcely believe his eyes. Alongside himself and the blonde (which he certainly would not mind working with), the Dragon Golem, and an Armored Gnoll were all applying for the bodyguard work! In and of itself, this was not remarkable, as work like this would have several takers. What really surprised him, was that they all decided to walk into the building at the same time.

    "Yeah, I'm here for the Aeral job as well." He calls out from the back, in a low growling voice- a side effect of binding Naberius.
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    "Why?"
    Chas furrows his brow and a sickened look comes over his face. "Why? Why? Can't you see that the papers are in a state of disarray? How can you--" His rant is interrupted by the entrance of a strange doglike figure. He begins to draw back compulsively, but is surprised by the creature's eloquence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost6442 View Post
    "Sorry if I'm interrupting, but we all seem to be milling in the doorway without any discernible purpose, I'm sorry where are my manners... I am Lakarr’n a doctor seeking a more interesting employment.”
    "Hello," the frazzled man says with a slight nod, "the name's Chas O'Malley." Before anyone can ask, he adds, "NOT Charles. Who (or what) are you?" he asks, turning toward the winged creature.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    The old man looked up, confused at Chas' rant and request. He nevertheless picked up the papers and hit the table with the stack before smoothing out the sides and laying it back down on the table, now somewhat better squared.

    He seems largely unfazed by the draconic golem, the hyenaman, and the other people that have suddenly invaded the guard building. "Sounds like you're all here for the same reason." He speaks slowly and deliberately, leaving absolutely no question as to exactly what he said. He suddenly turns his head towards the door apparently leading to another room in the guard building, raising his voice. "Mince! Get over here! Applicants"

    A low, crude voice responds. "Right." Before the door opens, revealing the hulking form of a full blooded orc, his head nearly hitting the doorframe, his face adorned with a few scars. He is clad in leather that looks like it could take a few blows, and calmly walks to the front of the group of five, assessing them up and down. The old man continues with his paperwork as the orc points at the stairs, speaking with surprising eloquence. "Upstairs, please. We must see your qualifications."
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-01-18 at 10:04 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MammonAzrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Laraek

    The metallic creature nods at the older human's words. It turns as Mince comes through the doorway, and watches it with the curious stare of a statue (which looks much like any other stare). It assess the orc as it looks Laraek up and down as well. At the orc's request it turns and heads towards the indicated staircase. An intelligent orc, now that is uncommon. Though not as uncommon as myself. It would explain how he can function in a mercenary band.
    My homebrew - If you use it, please let me know how it goes!

    Current Projects - Warlock rewrite

    1st place in GITP Monster Competition LV and LVI

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Xaine

    Xaine follows the rest of the applicants upstairs, all the while trying to imagine what they meant by "see your qualifications". I wonder if they accept Graduation Certificates from the College of Warbladery... not that I have one, seeing how I didn't actually go to the College of Warbladery, but still...
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Dacien

    After being directed inside by the guards, Dacien finds herself in a reception office with what she can only assume are other mission applicants or mercenaries. She silently eyes the other occupants.

    The young man - more of a boy, really - who was reading the notice and gawking at her had followed in her from the plaza. He barely looks old enough to be let off his mother's apron strings, though he certainly looks the part of a mercenary; it'll be interesting to see if he can handle all those weapons he's carrying. She idly wondered if his growling voice was some attempt to make himself sound tougher, or if that was his normal way of speaking.

    A flustered looking man - Chas? - was harrassing the clerk behind the desk over something trivial. If he's another applicant... urgh, how long could I stand working with such a fusspot?

    Of more interest was the dragonman-shaped construct. Such an unusual design. Either it had some form of free-will, which would make it very rare; or it was operating under some extremely explicit instructions. That one certainly bears more investigation.

    Finally, hiding in set of full plate-mail, was a gnoll... doctor?!? Dacien had had dealings with gnolls in the past, but usually on the opposing ends of weaponry. This one sounded oddly cultured, but - she shrugged to herself - Tren did attract all sorts of people.

    "Upstairs, please. We must see your qualifications."
    "Certainly." With a confident smile on her lips, Dacien nods at the orc and proceeds up the stairway.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2011-01-12 at 11:46 PM.
    Avatars: "Fetlock Equinari, Ponytrician of Flanhk-Marepork, featuring Bank Chairman Mr Fusspot" by Dirtytabs; Ponified Othar Tryggvassen by Madcrafter; "Dexam with April from CRFH!!!" by Maritza Campos.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Chas was unsure of whether or not to join this motley crew. It's been a few weeks since I've had a lead on Nick the Knife, he thought, not to mention a decent meal or a bottle of wine. Perhaps some coin could help with that. Anyway, these people look relatively clean.

    He follows silently.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Ghost6442's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Lakarr'n just nodded and moved towards the stairs with the rest of them. Falling towards the back of the marching order.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    The orc shows you upstairs, and you are greeted by what is apparently and oddly placed lounge of sorts. There is a world weary looking guard with his armor by his side shining his sword in one of the several chairs adorning the hall apparently only meant for the breaks of the guards. The orc grunts a greeting at the soldier. "Day." The guard simply looks up to nod in acknowledgement.

    The orc directs you to the rightmost of the three hallways, all branching to different directions, making the hall like the center of a cross. He keeps up the pace, explaining as he walks. "We have had to send more guards out more often. Those Illuminated are trouble. There have been problems around the city. Increased crime rate, all sorts of mysterious happenings. We're too needed." He bluntly lists out. "That's why we don't just send our elite as Zindar's bodyguards."

    He opens a door to the left in the hallway, revealing a currently empty large room apparently used as a training facility. It has a few sparring dummies, a lot of empty space, weapons lining the walls. The dummies look well worn. "You'll be tested shortly." The orc says in his typical low voice. "We simply require proof that you are good at your job."
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-01-18 at 10:05 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Xaine

    As Mince explained the situation in troubled situation in Tren, Xaine nods his head in comprehension. Hmm, sounds like they could use a helping hand... I wonder if they're looking for any temporary mercenary help in local enforcement... Well, I'll worry about that later, I have to try and land this job first.

    Once in the room, he sits down somewhere and waits for the test to begin.
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MammonAzrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Laraek

    The orc continues to speak in an intelligent manner, explaining the reasons for needing outside help for escort mission. Surprised that religious preachers could make things so difficult, Laraek can simply think Fotunate. I have no desire to remain within the city.

    Once they group has made it to the large open room, it nods at Mince's words. "Understood." With that it waits patiently, examining the room around it while standing near the door where it came in.
    My homebrew - If you use it, please let me know how it goes!

    Current Projects - Warlock rewrite

    1st place in GITP Monster Competition LV and LVI

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Xaine

    As he waited, Xaine glanced around at the other applicants, wondering what they were capable of. Since the Belrondar did not specify how many people they wanted for this job, there was a reasonably good chance that they were looking for a multi-role party, and that several of those gathered here would eventually get in. However, 'several' could still mean 'less than 5'. So right now they were also potential competition for the same work, and he was not about to get too chummy with them just yet...

    Unfortunately this applied to the blonde, and especially to the blonde in fact. Part of Xaine wanted to go up to her and ask for her name, class and if she wanted private falchion lessons. But another part decided that if he tripped over his feet and fell on his own sword at the trial later, he could at least salvage some dignity if the gorgeous girl didn't remember his name. As such, he simply continued to sit in a corner and stare wistfully at her.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Of course, we'll all eventually get in, but our character don't necessarily know that.

    Uh... we will all get in, right?
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Dacien

    Dacien's eyebrows arch in surprise at the orc's comments. "How very interesting..." she murmurs after Mince departs. "I wonder if the problems, increased crime rate, and 'mysterious happenings' are separate; or if they're somehow related to the Illuminated?" Dacien shrugs, not really expecting any of the gathered group to be able to supply answers. She suddenly seems to realise something. "Please forgive my rudeness" she says, smiling. "Allow me to introduce myself - I'm Dacien Tremaine." The young woman extends her gloved hand to each of the applicants, to be shaken in greeting.

    "So, has anyone worked for the Belrondar or Nabach mercenaries before?" She glances around the training room. "And do you know what sort of 'proof' is required, other than skill at arms?"
    Avatars: "Fetlock Equinari, Ponytrician of Flanhk-Marepork, featuring Bank Chairman Mr Fusspot" by Dirtytabs; Ponified Othar Tryggvassen by Madcrafter; "Dexam with April from CRFH!!!" by Maritza Campos.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Xaine

    Oh crap! She's coming this way! Quick say something clever! Xaine panics as he accepts Dacien's outstretched hand with a (perhaps overly)-firm grip, and a blank look. "Uh... well, they said they require proof that you are good at your job, so uh..." He stammers as he tries to express himself. "It... would... probably depend on what job you are applying for right? I mean, if the healer can't hit things as hard, thats still fine, so long as he can heal well, right?"
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Dacien

    Dacien smiles politely at the young man as she shakes his hand, noting the blank look and his stammering speech. He seems really nervous... maybe this IS his first mission or adventure, and all the weapons and growly voice and crushing handshakes are over-compensation for insecurities?

    "Well, yes," Dacien replies patiently after he releases his grip on her hand "But I was wondering if anyone has had specific dealings with our potential employers, rather than just general speculation." She ponders a moment. "Given your example, Mister...?" she prompts for the young man's name "How exactly do you go about testing competence of a healer? I mean, do they bring you someone who is injured or been poisoned and ask you to heal them?"
    Avatars: "Fetlock Equinari, Ponytrician of Flanhk-Marepork, featuring Bank Chairman Mr Fusspot" by Dirtytabs; Ponified Othar Tryggvassen by Madcrafter; "Dexam with April from CRFH!!!" by Maritza Campos.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Xaine

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    "Given your example, Mister...?"
    "Xaine." The nervous boy blurts out, before wincing a little. He had been hoping to keep his name until after (and if) he passed the selection, so that in case he made a fool of himself, he would at least have anonymity. But right now, his mouth was moving faster than his brain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    "How exactly do you go about testing competence of a healer? I mean, do they bring you someone who is injured or been poisoned and ask you to heal them?"
    "That would be the most direct way..." He says with a shrug. "But the priests might have other methods of accessing the competence of fellow priests. I wouldn't really know, since I'm not a healer."

    He pauses for a while before wincing again. "Oh wait, I am a healer... well a quasi-healer at any rate." By now, it was apparent that his mouth was running circles around his brain. "But I'm not a priest so I still don't know."
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

    Chas

    Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    The dummies look well worn. "You'll be tested shortly." The orc says in his typical low voice. "We simply require proof that you are good at your job."
    Chas shudders slightly as the orc finishes. "You mean," he says with a quaver in his voice, "we're going to have to touch those horrid old things? First the plaza, then the papers, and now this? Today just wasn't shaping up to be Chas' day. Now, to make matters worse, the blonde was piping up. "I'm Chas O'Malley," he says in response to her introduction. "NOT Charles," he adds without looking up. Her hand...her hand! She actually expected him to touch it? Chas lets out an audible sigh of relief as Xaine shakes Dacien's hand. At least that ordeal was over.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •