New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

Lakarr'n Just watched them argue or debate or deliberate about what was going to happen next, how they were going to be tested. He was more then happy to just wait and find out. When Dacien got to shaking his hand his grip was firm, not too tight but not too soft. “Lakarr’n” was all he said it didn’t really look as if he needed to say much really. He did have a growl to his voice too, but he was a gnoll it was expected, his was rather soft though because of a lot of practice, but he couldn’t eliminate it all together due to the nature and shape of his larynx.

(BTW: Lakarr'n's helm only covers the top, back and sides of his head, it doesn’t cover his ears, face or muzzle)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    "Allow me to introduce myself - I'm Dacien Tremaine." The young woman extends her gloved hand to each of the applicants, to be shaken in greeting.

"So, has anyone worked for the Belrondar or Nabach mercenaries before?" She glances around the training room. "And do you know what sort of 'proof' is required, other than skill at arms?"
    The metal automaton looks at Dacien as she introduces herself, having already taken in her basic features in the other room. "Am Laraek. Have not worked for them before. And we shall find out shortly. Suspect ability to keep merchant or negotiator alive if hostilities arrive and return to Tren." The golem doesn't move to take her hand (if it was offered to it), but its voice carries no rudeness to it, only information. It makes no attempt to integrate itself with the others there for the position, listening but not getting involved.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-01-17 at 05:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Dacien

"So, it appears that we are all newcomers." Dacien comments once introductions are complete. If she is in any way offended by either Chas' or Laraek's refusal to shake hands she certainly doesn't show it. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see what our erstwhile employers have in store for us." she says with a grin.

While waiting for whoever is going to review them to show up, Dacien takes the opportunity to study Laraek in greater detail, unashamedly making no disguise of her examination of the construct. At one point she mutters a short arcane phrase and her nimble fingers trace an odd sigil in the air, then returns to her study.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Detect Magic and using it to examine Laraek, and other members of the group if there is time before the reviewers arrive.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Emerging from a corner door of the room, a somewhat jittery light blue robed young man walked to stand before you. He was a dark haired youth, with a holy symbol hanging from his neck. He shakily assesses the group, before uttering a stumbling "G-good day." He doesn't seem to wish to speak up more, so the orc decides to pick up the slack.

"This is acolyte Maxwell. We always have one around to have someone who knows a thing or two about magic." The orc explains. "He's quite shy, but he has studied well." The acolyte, Maxwell, shuffles his robe upwards to hide his face and looks down at the floor.

"If your greatest talent is magery, you need to present your best magic for Maxwell to see." The orc explains as the acolyte takes a book from the folds of his robe and starts leafing through it. "If you seek this job by virtue of combat skill, I expect you to best me." The orc states matter-of-factly, picking up a batch of saps.

"We don't have too much time here, and all of you be either mages of some caliber, skilled warriors, or otherwise useful to the cause. If you wish to impress with the knowledge of a scout, he will check the true value of your knowledge.[color] He stops for a second. [COLOR="green"I have also prepared a few locks which you can attempt to get past, if such pursuits have crossed your career." The orc smiles a toothy grin. Then he looks directly at Chas. "You though... you have a bit of a reputation. I don't believe I need to test you. Charl... Chas was it?"
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-01-18 at 10:20 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Whelp, here goes nothing. Time to impress the lady... or suffer total embarassment. Xaine thinks to himself, as he drops his excess baggage in the corner, and picks up a sap. "I will try the test by combat then, although I must confess some of my abilities are unsuited for a non-lethal fight." He waits for the Orc to prepare himself as well, before commencing the match.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[10]
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    "You though... you have a bit of a reputation. I don't believe I need to test you. Charl... Chas was it?"
    "Yes," Chas says coolly, glad that the big lummox hadn't used that name. "I'm glad to hear that--I wasn't sure which test would be best. I mean, sure, we could spar, but then the lockpicking might be better. No, I think the test of knowledge. Hmm, or the spellcasting or..." The man trails off, mumbling to himself.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-01-18 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

"If your greatest talent is magery, you need to present your best magic for Maxwell to see." The orc explains as the acolyte takes a book from the folds of his robe and starts leafing through it.
    The adamantine man nods at the orc's words, turning towards the shy acolyte. In the dry, informative manner that is quickly becoming apparent as its standard voice, Laraek addresses the young man, "Do not engage in non-lethal combat. Therefore shall be tested by you. Can breath flame and cold for extended durations, including movement hampering breath. Acute senses can detect invisible or hiding creatures. Can identify magical items without spell, and verify standard items accurately. Need no rest or sustenance. Can grant companions comfort from extreme weather. What proof is required?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"If your greatest talent is magery, you need to present your best magic for Maxwell to see." The orc explains as the acolyte takes a book from the folds of his robe and starts leafing through it. "If you seek this job by virtue of combat skill, I expect you to best me." The orc states matter-of-factly, picking up a batch of saps.
    The young lady with the silver-blonde hair approaches the young man in the blue robes. Curious for one such as he to be associated with a mercenary company.

"I would have to say that the arcane arts are my particulary forte, though I tend to specialize in battle-oriented enhancements." Dacien looks over to where Xaine is squaring off against Mince. "Perhaps my spell-casting skill is best observed under more combatative conditions?" She picks up one of the saps and hefts it uncertainly. "I'm untrained with this weapon, but with my magic, perhaps it would sufficiently even the odds to make it at least an... interesting bout. I assure that I will use only non-lethal spells. What do you say?" She smiles brightly at Maxwell, though her expression is one of determination.

Then he looks directly at Chas. "You though... you have a bit of a reputation. I don't believe I need to test you. Charl... Chas was it?"
    Dacien idly wonders what is so special about Chas O'Malley's reputation that he is exempt from the assessment.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n watches then all sort themselves out.

"I guess I'll wait till someone is sufficiently injured, then fix them up, I believe that should be sufficient to prove my worth... unless you want the building burnt down... Which I don't think you do"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Xaine
    You both having gotten into position, the orc moves very quickly for a creature that big, keeping the sap in his right hand by his left hip. As he approaches, he takes full advantage of the momentum of the charge to swing upwards at roy, but misses.

Dacien
    After Xaine's fight is finished, the orc is in the center of the training room with you instead. Once again, he exhibits greater reaction speed and he is quickly attacking you, slamming below the chest with the sap. While there is no real damage inflicted, the sap still stings quite a bit. Likely a part of the warrior's test.

Laraek
    Acolyte Maxwell starts examining the construct, carefully at first, but is quickly overcome by curiosity. You even hear him chanting a simple spell to gain more insight. Then, he remembers the breath weapons of the draconic construct. "Could you demonstrate? The breath that is." He seems more confident, now that he is in his element, pointing at one of the training dummies.

Lakarr'n
    The orc speaks a few words to you before starting the test with Xaine. "You can try to null the pains from the matches then. That will certainly prove your worth." He then steps to the center of the room, opposite to Xaine, starting the battle.

Chas
    One of the Belrondans walks past the room, looking inside to see an apparently familiar face. The tall, breastplate armored man walks up to you, though keeping some distance. The dust of the streets is still on him. He seems to have just returned from patrol. "Hey. Aren't you Chas?" You remember working with the Belrondans in the last few months as a detective in Tren. "You were the one that solved the South Wall District kidnappings!" You may have met this man before on a case. "I'm Jake, pleased to meet you." He offers a hand, but not really expecting you to shake it.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Dacien
    After Xaine's fight is finished, the orc is in the center of the training room with you instead. Once again, he exhibits greater reaction speed and he is quickly attacking you, slamming below the chest with the sap. While there is no real damage inflicted, the sap still stings quite a bit. Likely a part of the warrior's test.
    Smarting from the strike, Dacien somersaults backwards and away from the orc. Whirling to face her opponent, she chants arcane syllables and raises her hand toward him. A thin beam of sparkling green energy lances from her palm and at her foe.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Tumble 10' away from the orc. (1d20+11)[20]
    Standard: Cast Ray of Enfeeblement. (1d20+5)[24] (Touch attack) (1d6+3)[7] (penalty to Str on hit).

12. - Top - End - #42

"Hey. Aren't you Chas?"..."You were the one that solved the South Wall District kidnappings!"..."I'm Jake, pleased to meet you." He offers a hand, but not really expecting you to shake it.
    Chas furrows his brow as he looks toward the dirty man. Unsurprisingly, he does not shake the man's hand. "Yes, that's me," he says with a slight nod. "NOT Charles," he adds once more. "I remember the case; it was nothing, really. The kidnapper kept using the same burlap sacks on each victim...low-quality stuff from a merchant in the North Wall District that always left fibers behind. There were at least two or three left at each crime scene."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    "Could you demonstrate? The breath that is."
    Laraek watches the mage as he grows curious, unmoving except for his head, following Maxwell's movements. These wizards...always assuming they can poke and prod and examine me out of their fascination. I suppose I am partly to blame for that, given the image I cultivate. But better to suffer a little indignity...for now...than to invite further questions. At least this one seems somewhat respectful...certainly not joining my list of those who need a lesson in respect. The golem turns at Maxwell's request, facing the nearest dummy, and opens a jaw that had previously appeared to be nothing more than an ornamental design on its lower face. Smoke trickles from the corners of this crevice for a moment, before a steam of blazing reg-gold flame shoots forth, enveloping the dummy in an inferno. And it keeps coming...and coming...the jet of fire doesn't slow or die until the entire dummy has been reduced to a charred pile of ashes.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Xaine

Xaine executes a jumping somersault, leaping back from the Orc. Once he lands, he rears back and then springs forward trying to channel his momentum through his sap.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift Action:
    Sudden Leap back from Orc: (1d20+22)[30]
    Tumble to avoid AoO, at half distance: (1d20+13)[30]
    Edit: So somersault back 15 feet.

Full Round Action:
    Battle Leader's Charge:
    Charge Attack Roll: (1d20+11)[27] (including +2 from Charging)
    Sap Damage Roll: (1d6+19)[23] (including +10 Battle Leader's Charge, +5 Leading the Charge)

Status
    HP: 50/50
    AC: 15 / 13 Flatfooted / 10 Touch (including -2 from charge)

Maneuvers Readied
    Swordsage
    -Moment of Perfect Mind
    -Action Before Thought
    -Mind over Body
    -Cloak of Deception

Warblade
    -Sudden Leap
    -Battle Leader's Charge
    -Strength Draining Strike

Stance: Leading the Charge (+5 to Charge Damage for all allies within 60 ft)
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2011-01-22 at 05:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n just watches, slightly bemused.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Xaine&Lakarr'n
    The orc tries to take the sap-strike with his armor, but steps short and gets smacked in the jaw instead. He staggers back, reeling and holds his hand out as if a sign to stop. He drops the sap and looks at Xaine, holding his jaw. "Truly, you have proven your worth." The orc manages to speak out before part-falling, part-sitting down on the floor. He takes a few deep breaths, before looking at Lakarr'n "If you wish to pass your test with healing, now would be a good time."

Dacien
    The orc almost pauses as the spell hits him, but continues charging, despite having been reduced to the strength of some of the weakest of his species. He swings again, and despite the dramatically reduced force, he manages to score a telling hit, which nevertheless hurts much less than the last one.

Laraek
    The dummy, a straw dummy with a wooden cross at its core is burned to ash in under half a minute as the acolyte steps back. The dummy leaves a blackened and cracking cross now sitting in a pile of ash. The cross is slowly collapsing to pieces, constantly cracking apart another little piece of wood. Suddenly, it collapses completely, leaving a pile of ash with a few pieces of wood on it. Maxwell looks at Mince and nods.

Chas
    The guardsman pulls back his hand, seeing that Chas is not willing to shake hands. "None of our men noticed though. Took your eyes to see that." He looks at the fight going on. "Wow. Mince is really not doing all that well there. Looks like you folks are more than qualified."
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-01-22 at 08:21 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Xaine

Xaine drops his combat stance, and gives a small bow to the Orc. "Does this mean I get the job?" He asks while placing the sap back where he found it. He then retreats to a side to observe the rest of the proceedings. Whew, that went fairly well. I wonder if Dacien was impressed. He thinks to himself, as he observes the blonde's reaction.

Xaine looks surprised as the Dragon Golem burns the dummy to ashes. He was told that most mages built their constructs to be melee brutes, although some incorporated various secondary functions. This one however, appeared to be constructed primarily as an element breathing machine.

Of course, he was also told that most constructs were mindless slaves, who were never far from their masters, rather than free-willed talkers looking for mercenary work. So either this was an atypical specimen, or he had been grievously misinformed.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Dacien

The sorceress steps back a pace from the orc and begins chanting another spell. Once again she raises her hand, though this time a lance of pulsing blue light streaks towards Mince.

This ought to even the odds a little...

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: 5' step away from the orc.
    Standard: Cast Ray of Clumsiness (1d20+5)[19] (Touch Attack) (1d6+3)[5] (penalty to Dex on hit)

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Xaine drops his combat stance, and gives a small bow to the Orc. "Does this mean I get the job?" He asks while placing the sap back where he found it. He then retreats to a side to observe the rest of the proceedings. Whew, that went fairly well. I wonder if Dacien was impressed. He thinks to himself, as he observes the blonde's reaction.
    Dacien smiles brightly and applauds enthusiastically as Xaine quickly concludes his duel. Her expression shows that she both mildy surprised and impressed. Well, he certainly looks more than capable of pulling his own weight, at least in a training scenario. Time will tell if he holds up under real combat.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2011-01-23 at 01:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n moves over to Mince and casts 'cure Serious wounds' (burns Wind wall to do so)

He moves out of the way after doing so.
    Last edited by Ghost6442; 2011-01-23 at 04:59 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Xaine and Lakarr'n
    The orc quickly gets up, healed, and nods at the gnoll. "It seems you are all capable enough. Yet one to test." At this point, only Dacien was left. All the others were deemed adequate at least. The warforged had proved destructive capability and clearly something else as well to the acolyte. The detective, Chas, was already known to be useful.

Dacien
    The orc stumbles again as the ray strikes him solidly in the chest, and while he is not injured, strictly speaking, his fighting ability has been cut in half. He drops the sap and stops. "If the fight lasted longer, I would surely lose." The orc recognized how much he had been weakened.

All
    After the tests are through, Mince addresses you all. "You are all well qualified." The orc states, the tests having passed just fine. "Zindar and his bodyguard are here already. They're waiting, and it looks like they don't need to do so any longer."

It is at this point when you notice an armored form standing in the doorway. Likely the bodyguard Mince mentioned. "Zindar awaits. We should leave as soon as possible." The armored form speaks, taking his helmet off. He is fairly tall, and apparently human. He is not old, but he has certainly passed his youth and looks professional. "Ah, but I forget my manners. I'm Michael Hayre, Mr. Zindar's current bodyguard." He bows towards the group, and as he rises up, waves you to follow, moving into the hallway towards where you came from.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Xaine

"You are all well qualified."
    The normally stoic Xaine cracked a small smile. His first real job! With a hot blonde no less! Of course, he was still far from his dream of vast wealth and resplendent glory. But every journey had to begin with a first step after all. If he kept it up, soon he would be leading armies and rescuing princesses... or so the stories go.

"Ah, but I forget my manners. I'm Michael Hayre, Mr. Zindar's current bodyguard."
    Xaine gave a small bow, before introducing himself in his characteristic low growling voice. "Xaine, warrior... mostly, and uh... some other stuff."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

"Chas O'Malley," he launches into his customary greeting, "NOT Charles." Without another word, he follows the bodyguard, carefully inspecting the man's armor for loose buckles, scuff marks, and the like.

Search - (1d20+13)[16]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Laraek ceases the gout of flame when Maxwell nods to the orc. It then turns to observe the remaining tests, watching the various combats play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hayre View Post
    "Zindar awaits. We should leave as soon as possible." The armored form speaks, taking his helmet off. He is fairly tall, and apparently human. He is not old, but he has certainly passed his youth and looks professional. "Ah, but I forget my manners. I'm Michael Hayre, Mr. Zindar's current bodyguard." He bows towards the group, and as he rises up, waves you to follow, moving into the hallway towards where you came from.
    "Indeed, waiting is a waste." With a nod at Micheal Hayre's introduction, it walks towards him. "Called Laraek." It then follows the man down the hallway and to where ever Zindar is waiting.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

[B]Dacien
    The orc stumbles again as the ray strikes him solidly in the chest, and while he is not injured, strictly speaking, his fighting ability has been cut in half. He drops the sap and stops. "If the fight lasted longer, I would surely lose." The orc recognized how much he had been weakened.
    "Awww!" The young lady mock-pouts. "And I was only just getting warmed up, too." With a friendly wink, she hands the sap back to Mince.

"Ah, but I forget my manners. I'm Michael Hayre, Mr. Zindar's current bodyguard." He bows towards the group, and as he rises up, waves you to follow, moving into the hallway towards where you came from.
    "Pleased to meet you - Dacien Tremaine, at your service." Dacien likewise bows, and quickly gathers up her weapons and backpack from the training hall. With an overly-dramatic flourish of her cloak, she follows the bodyguard into the hallway. "So, you're our employer's current bodyguard. If I might ask... what happened to the previous one?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n just follows behind, nodding respecfully to Mince and Maxwell as he leaves.

"Lakarr'n, doctor" with the same polite nod, is his only responce to Michael Hayre's greeting.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    The bodyguard, Hayre, raises his eyebrow at Xaine's "description" of his capabilities, but decides not to ask anything more about it. He does however, seem happy to answer Dacien's question about the fate of the last bodyguard Zindar had. "The last bodyguard got killed by ogres on a trip to Hyer two years ago. After that, Mr. Zindar has refused to take on longer or riskier travels without additional protection." With this, Hayre walks down the stairs.

Following him, you can see that in the armchair downstairs, a short and stocky man has settled himself in, waiting something. Seeing Hayre, he stands up, taking a backpack from the under the chair and approaching Hayre. "That was fast." The short man, apparently Theo Zindar casually states. This suspicion is quickly confirmed as he looks at the five of you, walking up and shaking the hand of whoever is closest. "A good day to you. I'm Theo Zindar, merchant and negotiator for the Nabach company." He energetically shakes the first person's hand and has now switched to a much more jovial tone. Appearing friendly seems quite automatic to people in his position.

He doesn't even bother confirming with you that you are the mercenaries, instead simply deciding to simply instruct you. "If at all possible, I intend to leave now. We have already readied a cart and horses in the stables, and with them, we should be in Aeral territory by the second day." He starts shuffling his way out, motioning the rest of you to follow. "Hopefully, they will not be aggressive, but if they are, I will be relying on you."

Chas
    Hayre appears to have recently shined his armor, but you do notice a few things annoying your eye. The ankle of the left metal boot is visibly more darkened than the right one. In addition, there is a small dent in the right arm of the armor, near the elbow joint. Finally, the riveting in the right shoulder buckle is a tiny bit off-center.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Nodding in greeting to the jovial man who was now its employer, the golem follows Zindar out to the waiting cart and supplies.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Dacein

"Dacien Tremaine" the young sorceress introduces herself, shaking the hand of the short merchant. "What can you tell us about these Aeral tribesfolk?" she asks, as the group makes their way to the waiting cart and horses. "It might help us plan how to better guard you if we can know as much as possible about them. Also, if it's not a secret, what are these negotiations about?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Xaine

"Xaine." The young man introduces himself as he shakes the jolly merchant's hand. "Well, seeing as to how I just walked into the city, and still have all my belongings with me, I'm ready to leave now, if required. Although, as the lady says, more information is always welcome."
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Chas forgoes introductions, instead squatting behind Michael. He pulls a kerchief from his breast pocket and begins attempting to polish the ankle of the bodyguard's left boot.