New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

Laraek

Watching the exchange, the gleaming construct grows slightly annoyed, ready to be off and cease wasting time. "Then recommend leaving. Aeral strong, can look after own. Zindar must return." It's natural lack of tone helps to disguise Laraek's disinterest in hunting down the mysterious priest...for now.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Chas puzzles for a second before deciding that a simple cost-benefit analysis may prove most helpful in swaying Laraek's logical mind. He speaks quickly and matter-of-factly, hoping to convey the facts without emotion. "We can leave and collect our pay from the merchant. However, the man masquerading as the priest is a wanted criminal with a sizable bounty. We're already here, so the investment in...investigating would be minimal. If we're able to track down this criminal on our way back to the city, we can collect twice as much pay for our slightly escalated efforts. Poking through the priest's possessions might prove profitable."

Chas pauses for a moment, counting on his hands as he recounts the number of P words he has just used. He mumbles to himself for a moment, but then seems satisfied. "If we don't uncover any leads, we simply head back to the city. I can always research the case later, though it would help to investigate the scene."
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-08-15 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n nods to Chas and replies "That seems like a solid enough plan to me, besides did not Zindar wish to ender some sort of deal with the Aeral? By investigating this occurrence It might assist with this deal and we my obtain a 'bonus' for our efforts." he smiles slyly then motions to the priests tent.
    "After you sir" he says to Chas, knowing well and good, Chas is the best to deal with the required searching.
    Sometimes you have to embrace the dark to see the light, other times the light was just too bright.

Homebrew stuff (feel free to PEACH, PM me if a thread got old to avoid thread necromancy)
    Races: Kitsune (3.5)
    Base Class': Shadow Stalker (The ShadeKnife ver 2)
    Avatar: Xell Firali by Ghost6442, wait that's me...

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

The golem listens to his arguement, ponders, and shrugs. "Very well. Assuming Zindar is agreeable."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Priest's Quarters
    The hut is still messy, and the floor and nearby table are now stained with drying blood. The table is supported by a shelf-like structure, though the shelves are now empty. The table itself has a potted plant in the corner which has apparently not bloomed very well. A small oil lamp also sits on the table, and parts of the table are slightly blackened, as if by ink stains.

Looking further, there seems to be more shelving as well as cooking implements, though curiously, there are many urns of various shapes as sizes on the shelves. A few lay broken on the floor, result from the fight that took place.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Looking around the disheveled hut, the golem sweeps it with detect magics.

7. - Top - End - #187

Chas O'Malley

Chas arches an eyebrow as he looked around the room; everything was so...uneven. The detective fights back the urge to begin straightening, as doing so had gotten him more than one tongue lashing for disturbing a crime scene in the past. Instead, he scans over the items in the hut, looking for any clues as to what Varan was doing here...was it just a hiding spot, or something more?

The blood seems recent, probably from the fight. The shelves under the table are empty--whatever had been on them was important enough to snatch. Any residue left behind? Chas crouches down and squeezes one eye closed, hoping to focus with the other. The plant is probably just poor horticultural skills, but one can never be too sure--perhaps something poured in the soil? Odd that Nicholae didn't take his lamp, but it serves to illuminate the ink stains. Are they simply puddles from knocked-over wells, or the ghostly shapes of letters bled through whatever was being written upon? And all the urns...were they the bodies of victims, narcotic substances, or some kind of key to Varan's reasons for being here and sudden shapechanging powers?

Too many questions--Chas closes his eyes and exhales deeply, then opens them and remains motionless. The evidence would move him, that he knew. Chas looks for any clues as he tries to remember any details about Nicholae Varan.

Search - (1d20+16)[23] Inspiration Point 3 of 4 used for Priest Encounter
    Know Local - (1d20+16)[35] Inspiration Point 4 of 4 used for Priest Encounter.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Please let me know if anything besides Know Local would work better to remember details of Chas' experiences with Nicholae Varan before. Also, please let me know if this is still part of the Priest Encounter or counts as a new encounter.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n decides to wait just out side, not wanting to get in the way, in the unlikely event of them needing what power he has left, he won't be far. Though he wonders how long it will take and if he has time to pray for more spells in that time.
    Sometimes you have to embrace the dark to see the light, other times the light was just too bright.

Homebrew stuff (feel free to PEACH, PM me if a thread got old to avoid thread necromancy)
    Races: Kitsune (3.5)
    Base Class': Shadow Stalker (The ShadeKnife ver 2)
    Avatar: Xell Firali by Ghost6442, wait that's me...

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    The urns smell of incense, of the type typically used for religious rituals, and one of the broken urns on the floor is surrounded by a small puddle of another strange-smelling ointment.

The ink stains seem to just be the result of knocked over ink wells, or smudged out for some other reason. Either way, there seem to be no words in them. The plant is similarly innocuous, however, you do notice a piece of copper wire on the floor.

For the criminal himself, rumor says that he had something to do with the power struggles in Deepreach, Bargarin that started two years ago, and that other well-known criminals were also in Deepreach during that time, though none of them are known to have participated in the struggle.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

10. - Top - End - #190

Spoiler
    Show
    Rats, I had hoped that a 35 Know: local would have gotten me a little more. Does Chas remember any details of the power struggles, or would I need separate rolls for that?

Chas crouches as close to the floor as possible, but does not let himself touch the ground. He inspects both the copper wire and the strange-smelling ointment, studying it for a full minute.

Spellcraft - (1d20+13)[14] to identify the ointment.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Power struggles in Bargarin (Chas' knowledge)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The power struggles began when the Eight Winds pirate crew was completely decimated by the Sivizian fleet. The Eight Winds and its captain, Deuter Troy had previously functioned as the de facto rulers of Bargarin, since they had the most men and the greatest amount of influence in Bargarin. However, with Deuter Troy and his eight best ships in the bottom of the sea, nothing was preventing the other captains from making their own grab for power. The struggle continues to this day, since no-one captain has the power to keep things under control.

Not many pirates survived the battle that sunk the Eight Winds. However, one of the survivors was Carsus Wal, the Ninth Wind, and Deuter Troy's right hand man. Curiously, while he took many former members of the Eight Winds with him, both from those who survived the battle and those who did not participate in it, he did not try to take control of the city himself. Many of his men are claimed to have gone north after this.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-09-07 at 10:24 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Seeing nothing of interest, the golem turns to the obsessively neat human. "See anything relevant?"

13. - Top - End - #193

Chas O'Malley

The detective laughs and wags a finger at Laraek. "Oh yes," he says, "everything is relevant. It's just our job to discover the relevance. Like this wire, for instance." Chas crouches closer to the copper wire and points at it to draw the construct's attention to it. "While the ointments, urns, and potions could have been used by the true priest, something tells me that this wire was being used by Varan himself. The only question is...for what?"

Search - (1d20+13)[24] to study the wire, as well as the strange-smelling puddle (if it's mundane)

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    The ointment smells like something earthen, mixed with saffron and fat. You can think of no mundane use for such a concoction.

Likewise for the short piece of wire, which doesn't seem to have any sensible mundane application.

Further, as Chas leans down to examine the ointment, he notices a note written in dwarfish script. It reads as follows.

"It was summoned. It is against plan. Problems. Escaped control. Hid in chief's son. Took the body, escaped. Will chase. Will regain it. Be ready."
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-09-19 at 01:56 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

15. - Top - End - #195

Chas mutters aloud in Common as he reads the Dwarven script, then gasps. "Whatever had possessed the chief's son was summoned intentionally, seemingly for a far darker purpose. Varan intended to chase down the spirit, but instead we brought it right to him. We need to return to the city to prepare a full-scale investigation. The good news is that the creature is against Varan's plan; the bad news is that Varan can be very convincing. Time is of the essence."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    A familiar face appears at the door of the hut. It is the armored form of Michael Hayre, Zindar's bodyguard. "The chieftain informed us that he refuses to bring anymore 'outsider trouble' into his tribe. While we are not unwanted here, having saved his child, the business with the escaped priest has convinced him that his tribe should stay put and continue living as they always have, outside the politics of anyone else." He pauses for a moment to better see what you are doing in the hut. "Zindar has no more business here, and hopes to leave shortly. You will be able to collect payment upon our return to Tren."
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-09-26 at 02:50 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

17. - Top - End - #197

Chas straightens up and dusts himself off, even though the man is already immaculately clean. "Very well," he says with a brisk nod, "I believe there's enough here to start a full-scale investigation. I'm as ready to return to the city as anyone can be."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    Having packed up and left the Aeral village, your wagon is now making its way back to Tren on the same route.

While the operation to recruit the Aeral was a failure, that has not affected your mission. And seeing as Zindar has remained unharmed even after the confrontation with Varan, you have completed yours to the letter, and a considerable compensation awaits.

Despite the utter failure at negotiating with Renak, Zindar does not seem to be very struck down by it. Perhaps it is simply experience.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

As the returns to Tren and the place they were hired, the golem addresses the merchant. "With safe return, is further service required?"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    You arrive in good time, and the wagon and the horses are left in the Nabach company stable. Zindar, Hayre and you make your way back to the mercenary company headquarters. The aged man you saw the last time you were here is once again working behind the desk, and only says "Hello, Mr. Zindar", without even peeking up from his paperwork.

After you walk into another room, this time with a large rectangular table surrounded by chairs, Zindar sits down, noting you to do so as well. Then he responds to Laraek. "No." Zindar says. "Our trip is finished, your part of the contract is fulfilled. We don't have anything else to request of you, though I imagine my superiors would be pleased to see Varan's head on a pike."
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!