Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Aspirations to Infamy [IC]

You are around a campfire in a forest in central Sythacus, about a day's ride from the Lesser Rimelock. You're eating spit-roasted rangehawk; it's delicious. You've been discussing your plans with each other, and are pretty much set on traveling to Eirthos.

Spoiler
    Show
    All right, guys. Here goes.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-01-07 at 09:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Aspirations to Infamy [IC]

Toran sits cross-legged on the ground, his bright green eyes closed as he savors the meal. He is dressed flashily as usual: this time, he wears a black shirt with silver, rune-like lines curving up and down it, along with a cloak emblazoned with the 5 heads of Tiamat. Slowly, his feline features face the group as he explains their method of travel. "I suggest moving by land to the eastern coast of Sythacus and finding a ship. From there, we travel by sea to Eirthos' main port, making this the fastest method of travel. After surveying the area, we'll hatch a new plan." Toran says these last words with a mischievous grin, accenting his words with a puff of flames that illuminate the campsite.
    Last edited by Ryuk01; 2011-01-07 at 09:33 PM.
    Posting rate will be very slow for the time being. I'm really sorry to all those in my PbP games.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Aspirations to Infamy OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Agreed, with the added clause that we kill any members Sythacus military we see, so long as we are sure we couldn't get caught. It would be good for us to do something that would help us earn the trust Eirthos, without it being foiled by lie detection powers" Gilgamesh said with a grin, he was happy to have pawns for the first time in a while. He was sure to make good use of his new companions, though he was wary of gnoll, and of the cat to a degree. One could not trust cats with ones life. The same goes for gnolls.
    Awesome Rob Roy Avatar by Pink Haired August!
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Alright. I have officially found a reason to run around, screaming "The end is near here!", with only a loincloth and a crudely painted sign as my possessions.
    Mind=asplode from the awesome of that image.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

While nibbling on some Ragehawk for the taste, Rustiss seemingly winks in and out of existence testing his new ability he unlocked when cornered last week.
    The rest of his portion of the meal can be seen at his feet, teaming with small spiders that are rapidly devouring what is left of the meat then either scurrying back into the darkness or under his cloak. "Death is always a worthwile cause as long as it is not ours. I somewhat dislike to idea of having to travel by ship though. Swimming is not something I am particularly good at."The thought of finding an end to ones life not through battle but the forces of nature fills Rustiss with a sense of disgust. He will not yield to nature, he will oppose it with everything he has. *sigh* If only his powers were to develop more in line with the others of his order. They are able to summon minions and raise small armies while all he has is his combat ability. Though even in this thought there is the satisfaction that said ability can bring down even beings much larger than him.
    Last edited by Re'ozul; 2011-01-08 at 05:01 AM.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

5. - Top - End - #5

"Would you object to travel by boat if we mutiny, then land the boat a few mile from where we're goin', kill the rest of the crew and take all the treasure we can get our hands on? Hells, we wouldn't even have to kill all of the crew, just cut out their tongues and sell them into slavery" Gilgamesh said with a grin. Captain of a ship who's crew'll be dead by my hand. Fun. I bet I could get them to tap dance to traditional goblin folk songs he thought, and the idea almost made him laugh. "We couldn't get caught, what with cutting out the tongues of anyone who's still breathing that was a part of the crew, and we'd get lots of treasure. We even get some murder in the mix too! It's a victimless crime, except for the victims, but no one cares what they think, and the murder should prove reward enough to get on a boat. Besides, no one here is goin' to toss you in the water" he said, then he thought, unless you cross me. "Tell ya what, if you go on the boat, I'll give you my share of the corpses of the crew to eat. You'd like that right?" he said believing that freaky, little kobolds liked to eat human flesh. Then again, he believed that every kobold liked human flesh, regardless of how freaky the thing was.
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2011-01-08 at 05:22 AM.
    Alright. I have officially found a reason to run around, screaming "The end is near here!", with only a loincloth and a crudely painted sign as my possessions.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"Selling people into slavery is such a waste of good bodies. However, might as well go that way, its not like I can do anything with them ... yet." 'stupid powers, why won't you allow me to raise the dead like everyone else in the order can. Invisibility is fina and all that, but damnit I want my own little group of boneheads.' "Would be more fun though to find a way to sell them while still on the sea, common pirates if necessary. Then get some of those pirates on our ship posing as survivors of a pirate related incident. Once we get off the boat they can keep the blasted thing, for the right price of course. If they don't wanna give us the right price, we can still go with your plan only with the imposter guys instead of the originals. Oh and I don't eat human much. Tends to be either stringy or fat, and seafarers are alltogether too salty on the outside, tasty hearts and kidneys though usually."
    Having finished what little meal he needs, Rustiss starts sharpening his claws and teeth as well as gathering the unneeded bones into his bag of holding 'for later usage'.

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Toran leans forward, getting more and more interested by this new scheme. "But why would we limit ourselves to one ship? Dagryl and I can morph our bodies. If we find any pirates, then me and her can polymorph into crew members. Once we're on the ship, I'll use my scorpion amulet, and we'll both revert back to normal form to kill or incapacitate the entire pirate crew. Then, of course, we take their treasure. How's that sound?"
    Posting rate will be very slow for the time being. I'm really sorry to all those in my PbP games.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"While certainly not bad, the biggest problem there is that we would be entirely too few people to actually maneuver a boat. Though if you have experience doing so, it might not be that bad. Furthermore anywhere we would get on land that is not wilderness, people would greatly suspect something to wrong with so few people on so many boats. By selling the old crew to the pirates as well as the ship with my plan, we would still have a ship that is somewhat believable. Once we anchor somewhere, it would be the pirate's job to explain further, they are used to things like that most likely so they will have an easier time. Furthermore, pirates with two ships are more efficient that those that have to rely on one. The extra ship would lead to them most likely increase their standing and wealth among their likes, which indirectly would be due to their deal with us. We therefore would get a foot in the door with a group that will most likely be wealthier later on. If we ever need help again, getting them to help might be easier and if we find their then hopefully increased welth to be to our liking we can still kill, sell or otherwise usurp them. By giving them this opportunity they become a quasi-investment which we will be able, due to our relations through that investment, to exploit later on. While giving this entire speech Rustiss has been drawing flowcharts on the ground with his staff (purely ornamental) and it now looks like someone raked the ground hard.

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, um, guys? Exposition time. The pirates you may encounter won't have ships. They'd be Sythaci aquatic raiders, and they only take ships to port to sell and stash loot.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-01-08 at 12:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

[We could have figured that out on our own, and have to rework our plans from there]

Dagryl growls and puts her pan pipes away. "Why are we travelling by sea, again? Do any of us know even the first thing about managing ships?" She asks. "Going by land, we'll have more opportunities to disrupt Sythican military forces."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"I concur. The sea is not for me, land gives a much better possibility to bring death. My small friends also prefer places that have some sort of trees or caves." As he says this a thin sound of clicking and scurrying can be heard from Rustiss' cloak. It appears his 8-legged companions agree.

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I want to travel by sea because it is probably the fastest way to Eirthos. But," Toran reluctantly sighs, "we will travel by land if you are too afraid."

Of course, Toran didn't really care about the amount of time they took to travel to Eirthos. Instead, he was interested in the human sailors and their life at sea. He itched with curiosity as he wondered what sorts of information he could unfurl about the seamen.

"Shall we all go do 'the Routine' first?"
    Last edited by Ryuk01; 2011-01-08 at 04:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    [We could have figured that out on our own, and have to rework our plans from there]

Dagryl growls and puts her pan pipes away. "Why are we travelling by sea, again? Do any of us know even the first thing about managing ships?" She asks. "Going by land, we'll have more opportunities to disrupt Sythican military forces."
    "Going by land we'll be more open to attack, and there is a very small chance our opponent might win. Going by sea we get there faster, get large amounts of slaves, and we get a ship we can sell. While none of us know anything about ships, we could purchase someone who does, then kill said slave when we're done. It is not a matter of causing needless death for fun, but a matter of practicality. Besides, I don't like the idea of goin' by land, we'd probably find a large amount of paladins raid Sythican settlements, and only three of us can make ourselves immune to their ability to detect evil" replied the Blue. Besides, when we're on a ship, we could ally with pirates and raid Sythican merchant ships, much more profitable than attacking the Sythican military he thought just before imaging a solid platinum statue of himself. "Toran, I believe you and I made a deal involving a certain item and it's protective qualities. I would like to start having that deal fulfilled now that we're leaving Sythicus lands".
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2011-01-08 at 05:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Incidentally, that white spot in the middle of the northern part of the continent is the Lesser Rimelock. It might be a good idea for one of you to make a Knowledge (geography) check to find out what the best routes to Eirthos are, by the way. Just sayin'.
    Just noticed this, here is the check.
    (1d20)[9] looks like I'm not getting any useful info
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2011-01-08 at 05:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

" Fear is something to be valued Toran. It warns beings that are capable of it from potential death. I revel in causing it, that does not mean that I am immune to it or arrogant enough to dismiss it. Furthermore we would be an even bigger target at sea as we would be easily seen. I also do not care that some would-be indoctrinated clerical slave knows my intentions, in the time it would take him to know such his bones would already be on their way to be part of my collection.

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

16. - Top - End - #16

"We would be a bigger target, but we could easily escape in the confusion with a short distance teleport, assuming one of us can cast it. Then again if one of us could cast it, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Regardless, we board a ship with no valuable goods and that takes away incentive for pirates to attack us. Even if they do, we will show them why you don't attack a ship with two necromancers and a psion. Besides, a slave with sailing experience is more valuable than one with experience in say, farmwork. you can get anything to work the farms, but sailing, that's something entirely different, and Eirthos would be happy to have us kill pirates. As for your last argument, that one further proves my point. We can just get a slave to help us get to our destination faster" replied Gilgamesh " wouldn't you love to be the commanding officer of a ship? Don't you want power?"
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

You remember that the two major routes to Eirthos are sea travel from Grishelarr, the Great Machete Trail leading from east of where you are through southern Sythacus to Peshira and then Eirthos. You also remember tales of an old, abandoned tunnel system it that's centered in the Lesser Rimelock, and bypasses much of the route to Eirthos, but you cannot recall any more about it. (A trained check or a Knowledge: History check would help here.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Someone else wanna try?

Edit: Oh, Gilgamesh forgot to add his INT modifier. That's a result of 12, anyway.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-01-08 at 06:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"Power over the living is overrated, the dead are my main interest. I can already see that you will most likely not be swayed from your path. But if we have to go there, then I wish for contingency. A Ring of Floating for myself or at the very least one of those 8 hour instant boats as backup.

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"My, my, this kobold is much smarter than he looks. Seems like he won't get easily provoked either," Toran thought, filing away all of this for future reference.

"If the ship sinks, I can fly whiling carrying Kin because he is the lightest. Dagryl, could you shift into a flying creature to carry either Rustiss or Gilgamesh?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(History) check: (1d20+5)[15]
    Last edited by Ryuk01; 2011-01-08 at 07:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

You remember that the tunnels were once Dwarven mine shafts, but were abandoned because of the magical event that created the Lesser Rimelock around it. Monsters have probably moved in by now, but it's still a viable route for brave adventurers.

Spoiler
    Show
    That was the only history-related knowledge you got from that check that had any relevance to anything. There's nothing important about the history of the high seas that you would've gotten through that History check, sorry. Just of that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Toran relays all of this information to his party members.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Scow got a 23 on his Knowledge: Geography check.

In addition to the information gained from Gilgamesh, you remember that the Great Machete Trail cuts through the jungle and through the marshes onto the Janus Plain, where Sythacus meets the civilized world. There's a large city there that acts as a border defense and filter on the entrances and exits to and from Sythacus. The mineshafts in the Rimelock bypass this, and don't travel through as much difficult terrain, but it's underground, doesn't pass through many cities (just one small colony/temple to Lolth founded by TAKE A WILD GUESS), and is probably crawling with monsters.

(Probably lots of treasure, though- it used to have rare-ore mines, and the dwarven civilization there was prosperous.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I'm sort of pushing for a land route. Sea routes are just a lot harder for me to play out. Go with the sea route if you guys want, but remember I'm new at this.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-01-08 at 08:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Dagryl sat back as they continued to argue. "Yes, there's a small chance of us losing a fight. But, going by sea, there's a high chance of us ending up off-course, or get sent straight to the bottom. And that's assuming we don't get locked up and clapped to oars ourselves," she growls in response to Giglamesh, before continuing to refute everyone's arguments in favor of sailing. "You are assuming we, a baby-eater, yappy lizard, an ugly midget, and someone who stinks like a corpse, can convince a crew that they're better off serving someone who'd willingly kill them at the slightest whim, instead of someone they know, and trust at least to some degree to keep them alive.

"Anyway... reality check: Most ships aren't owned by their captains. We really don't want to piss off a merchant empire just so we can get to the land of Light and Law faster. Our destination surely won't appreciate your plan. I should know: I've lived there all my life.

"Allying with the pirates... are you even listening to your idiocy? They'd sooner turn on us and take our own wealth for themselves after we're weakened from sacking merchant vessels for them, and taking all the loot. And while being dead may be marginally better than lashed to an oar and forced to wear an embarrasingly insubstantial outfit, I'm not really receptive to either option.

"And even if we did convince a crew to mutiny against their original captain and not mutiny against us, and not get backstabbed by backstabbing pirates, there's still a chance of rough weather, reefs, and sea monsters sinking our ship. We have no way to survive out there. Seriously, haven't any of you read [i]Stormwrack[i]? Or am I the only one who knows jack amongst us?

"If we go overland, we won't have to worry about logistics. I'm pretty sure I can talk us out of any problematic paladins... I've known them and lived amongst them for quite some time. I have the codes of several of their orders memorized.
    "

Once done addressing the initial ridiculous arguments, Dagryl waits before continuing to mock the blue goblin: "Yes, I'd absolutely love to be in command of a helpless chunk of driftwood that could choose to relocate somewhere I can't breathe at the slightest whim. ...I'm starting to wonder if any of you have even handled slaves before."

With her argument's concluded, Dagryl opens her pack, removes her cape from the chain shirt, and display's its "reverse" side opposite the silken red, presenting a distinctly Eirthosian Coat-of-Arms. (There are affiliated Knoweldge (Nobility) checks that reveal details-of-note about it at DCs 10, 15, and 25. A DC 28 Forgery check can also discern something about it.) "Don't worry about Eirthos' forces, she smirks.

[Ladies and Gentlemen: I present a Successful Knowledge(Common Sense) check]
    Last edited by Scow2; 2011-01-08 at 09:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice rant.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Could Dagryl answer my last question?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    Dagryl sat back as they continued to argue. "[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yes, there's a small chance of us losing a fight. But, going by sea, there's a high chance of us ending up off-course, or get sent straight to the bottom. And that's assuming we don't get locked up and clapped to oars ourselves,"
    "Allying with the pirates... are you even listening to your idiocy? They'd sooner turn on us and take our own wealth for themselves after we're weakened from sacking merchant vessels for them, and taking all the loot. And while being dead may be marginally better than lashed to an oar and forced to wear an embarrasingly insubstantial outfit, I'm not really receptive to either option.

Once done addressing the initial ridiculous arguments, Dagryl waits before continuing to mock the blue goblin: "Yes, I'd absolutely love to be in command of a helpless chunk of driftwood that could choose to relocate somewhere I can't breathe at the slightest whim. ...I'm starting to wonder if any of you have even handled slaves before."
    "Did I say ally with pirates, I meant take control of them. KIll their leadership and they're start begging for their lives. And I have, sure they were mindslaves that had no free will, but it still counts. I have no objection to your first point however, and in this light, overland does indeed seem safer. At least until we control a sizable chunk of the world" he said. He then thought Some day you'll beg for death you hyena freak. He then started whistling a merry tune, and proved completely unfazed by the gnolls attempt to humiliate him. In fact, it doesn't seem as if he could care less about the gnolls repeated insults. "And next time you try and humiliate someone gnoll, make sure it's someone who isn't make out of apathy, someone who would actually care" the goblin said.
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2011-01-08 at 10:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Dagryl starts laughing as soon as Giglamesh tried responding, and no sooner had he gotten out his first sentence, she sort of spoke up, overshadowing anything he said, in a tone perfectly immitating his voice, "B'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

If the blue Goblin was indeed unfazed by Dagryl's retort, he certainly seemed to be excessively bent out of shape about it.
    Last edited by Scow2; 2011-01-08 at 11:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

"Ooh. neat. Mind if I use that phrase all the time now? Anyway I agree with your logic, and when you put it that way it does make sense to go overland, additionally next time you argue with me do it politely. I do no tolerate rudeness, and I do not expect the rest of our fine group does either. In fact, I seem to recall that rudeness to your peers is punishable by death in a few places. We rise together or we fall together, we do not need to bicker amongst each other. It get's in they way of our goals, and when we have goals as far reaching as ours, we can not tolerate any interferences. One would think that a gnoll matron would know such things, but I suppose I was wrong " the goblin replied in turn. After the initial shock of someone being so rude to him a Blue, the most powerful people in all of Sythicus, he was regaining his cool. Which is to say, while still acting in a manner that somewhat betrayed his emotions, it wasn't as blatantly oblivious. Still, he would have to expect such rudeness now that they were leaving the only land were he had rank and privilege.
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2011-01-09 at 03:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Roy View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]a Blue, the most powerful people in all of Sythacus,
    This was just bravado, right? Remember, blues only have power within goblin communities. GNOMES HAZ MOAR POWAR. Also, the area you're in isn't a goblin area, it's a kobold area.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-01-09 at 08:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ignoring the constant bickering going on between his two companions, Toran finds Gilgamesh's wand and activates it. A slow, lazy white swirl surrounds both Toran and Gilgamesh.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activated Eternal Wand of Undetectable Alignment.
    Last edited by Ryuk01; 2011-01-09 at 11:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry