New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Redwall Project

I think it will be less items, and more feats. I'm writing some reputation feats based off Sunflash's reputation if you want them. Possibly some of the famed characters favorite items or things not from the books that fit the flavor. The Stone from Triss (was it Triss?) The one of the union of the otter and squirrel tribes. Could be a good one. Maybe a Taggerung Template (or PrC)

As an Example:

Champion Climber's Tail Bracelet

100gp
    Slot: -
    Activation: -
    This bracelet provides a +2 Morale bonus to all climb checks
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2011-01-09 at 09:49 PM.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Feel free to contribute whatever, and I'll add them in after review
    I probably should have added a feat section, I'll have to make one eventually.
    Those are a couple good item ideas. I think Taggerung would work as a template. I was thinking of having it be a PrC, but there aren't enough Taggerungs running around to justify it, so I left it out.

3. - Top - End - #33

I think that Badger Lord and Taggerung are both templates as they're things you're born as but PrCs based off them (I can think of two for Badger Lord and two or three possible paths for a Taggerung) but however you want to do them.

A feat that I made for other purposes but that would be lovely for Lana Bowstripe

Horizon Shot
    I can hit him.
    Prerequisites: Far Shot
    Benefits: As a full round action you may make a shot that takes no range penalties.
    Normal: You suffer a -2 range penalty per range increment
    Special: A fighter may take this as one of his bonus feats
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

4. - Top - End - #34

I believe Badger Lords can be any badger that feels the "call of the mountain," so they're more of a PrC.

I think racial/regional feats would be better to focus on now than general feats, to keep it more Redwall-inclusive.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by The Antigamer View Post
    I think racial/regional feats would be better to focus on now than general feats, to keep it more Redwall-inclusive.
    Can do. *goes into massive reading/writing spree*

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Redwall

Foxes are extraordinarily lucky
    Wut?

Slagar was bitten on the face by a snake, and went crazy. He later fell into a Hole. Plugg Firetail got eaten by three adders. At once. Bane got killed by an eagle because of a cloak he was wearing. Urgan Nagru was done in by his helmet. All the Marlfoxes died in increasingly horrible manners. I think that's enough to render this point moot.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

7. - Top - End - #37

"Lucky" Does not mean always good luck.
    To put another way, all good things come to an end.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    "Lucky" Does not mean always good luck.
    To put another way, all good things come to an end.
    ^^What he said. Their good luck runs out, but they're usually lucky to get there.

Take your example of Slagar. Sure he was bitten, but he survived it. And he survived getting stabbed through with a spear and dumped in a ditch. Somehow he managed to talk his way out of being a slave for a polecat, trap his pursuers in a cave, the list of his luck just grows and grows!
    I'm certainly open to a different ability though if you can think of something.

Also, added bat and rabbit. There aren't many rabbits in the books, but the ones that are seem more sensible and intelligent than the hares.
    Last edited by The Antigamer; 2011-01-09 at 11:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Bloodwrath Warrior
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Blood Wrage, Wrath Feat
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|+4 Con, Wrath Feat
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Diehard (Rage Only), Wrath Feat
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|+4 Con, Wrath Feat
    5th|+5|+5|+1|+1|Improved Diehard, Wrath Feat
    [/table]

Blood Wrage
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, the W is necessary. Need help statting this out.

Wrath Feats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, need help with these, too. Anything that came out of the book can work.

Improved Diehard
    The Bloodwrath allows a beast to live past the brink of death. If you are knocked down to -10 HP while in Blood Wrage, you may still make actions for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your Constitution Modifier, after which point, you die.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2011-01-11 at 05:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Yikes, that's a bit too much for a trait! Also, you've got some copy/paste errors from barbarian in there.
    I was planning on making a single-level Bloodwrath Warrior PrC that would give a creature the ability to use Bloodwrath, and the Badger Lord PrC would automatically get Bloodwrath. Bloodwrath might work as a restrictive feat, but if so it should be less powerful than the Barbarian's rage. If it was a feat, then the Bloodwrath warrior would be a progression of the feat. I'm open to discussion on it though.

Actually, on further thought, is there enough of a difference between Bloodwrath and a Barbarian rage to justify a feat/PrC for it? Creatures who want Bloodwrath could take levels in Barbarian or Frenzied Berzerker. Of course, the Badger Lord PrC would still get it.
    Last edited by The Antigamer; 2011-01-09 at 11:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

I see it as more of a trait than a feat, in general. I guess we'll take the middle ground and call it an extraordinary ability, or maybe even a disease.

Though, if you really want it as a feat, I can nerf it, and have characters able to take it more than once, gaining the extra bonuses after taking it a set number of times. (Like Diehard after taking it 5 times, the three rounds past -1 after taking it 10 times), and each time you take it... actually, f*** the rest of this paragraph.

Know what? I'll just rework it as a 10-level PRC.

And I'll fix that Copypasta issue after I sleep.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2011-01-09 at 11:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

A few feats for the Fox Seers of the books.

Vixen Seer(Commune) [Vixen]
    The Taggerung shall come from the Redwall place
    Prerequisites: Fox
    Benefits: You may cast Commune 1/day per Vixen Feat

Vixen Seer(Omen of Peril) [Vixen]
    If you attack Redwall all shall perish
    Benefits: You may cast Omen of Peril 3/day per Vixen Feat

Vixen Seer(Augury) [Vixen]
    He shall be a beast of great power
    Benefits: You may cast Augury 3/day per Vixen Feat

Vixen Seer(Divination) [Vixen]
    Sawney Rath is dead
    Benefits: You may cast Divination 1/day per Vixen Feat

EDIT:

A pair of feats for all those "Must kill the baddie" moments.
    Sworn Enemy
    On my life, I shall slay him!
    Prerequisites: -
    Benefits: You gain a +2 on all rolls against a specific enemies
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times, it's effects stack

Undying Enemy
    I'm taking you with me Badrang!
    Prerequisites: Sworn Enemy
    Benefits: When fighting your sworn enemy you do not fall unconcious until you've fallen to x10 your con mod in negative hit points
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2011-01-10 at 12:42 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Hmmm, wouldn't vixen seer work better as a PrC? As-is, those feats feel a bit under-powered individually.

14. - Top - End - #44

It would work better that way but I hate writing them. What could we do to bring them up to par? (I think I will be writing a 3lvl class for it)

15. - Top - End - #45

You're certainly welcome to take a stab at it
    I was holding off on doing PrC's until I decided whether I was going to design with no full casters in mind, and no flashy magic use, or regular d&d rules. Thoughts on that matter would be nice. What would people like to see?

Notes on remaining mammals as I see them:
    Badgers, Cats, Wearets, Wildcats, and Wolverines are in the creation process, I'm doing monster classes for each.

Ermines are tracking-oriented white stoats.

Hamsters: There's been one hamster ever, Mokug in Triss. His golden fur everyone admired points to a cha bonus. I'll need to check Triss for more ideas.

Pine Martens have been seen thrice, always in leadership positions. They seem charismatic, intelligent, and strong. I may make them a +1 race. (Sidenote: Ublaz Madeyes reminds me I need to make either a hypnotist feat or PrC for snakes and Pine Martens)

Sables are incredibly charismatic, and related to martens. They may also be a +1 LA race. I have not yet read The Sable Queen, so more research is needed. If you have ideas for them, feel free to chime in.

Sea Otters are generally gruffer/scarier than their river cousins, and they have sailing proficiencies. They'll get +2 Str, -2 Cha, swimming, sailing abilities, and maybe powerful build, unless I can think of something more original.

Voles are similar to mice, but tend to be whiny/self-serving, IIRC. A minus to charisma is in order I believe, but I'll have to go re-read some vole character stories for more ideas. There will be two varieties.

Pure Ferrets are albino ferrets, considered royalty where they come from. Anyone have ideas for this?

Searats and Tree Rats: Searats need sailing proficiency, and their drawback will be superstion of some sort. Tree Rats require me going and reading the Painted Ones sections of the books.

Pygmy Shrews: These guys are really small, but are they small enough to be considered tiny? I'm leaning towards no, but if not I need to figure out how to differentiate them.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Redwall

I'll think about it, but it's down on the priority list. .
    Fine by me.

Wolverines aren't native, but they were the main villains in one book, travelling from the far, far north. They're supposed to be the most powerful intelligent mammals out there.
    Well, thats why I asked. That's the latest Redwall Book I've read you see.

(Sidenote: Ublaz Madeyes reminds me I need to make either a hypnotist feat or PrC for snakes and Pine Martens)
    Id make it a 3 Level PrC. (Which I think most PrC is this Setting should be TBH.)

Pygmy Shrews: These guys are really small, but are they small enough to be considered tiny? I'm leaning towards no, but if not I need to figure out how to differentiate them.
    Isn't their a Feat Ability that's the opposite of Powerful Build? Give it to them and make them small.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-01-10 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #47

SamuraiGuy

I love what your doing dude.

But one thing I've noticed. Shouldn't there be an "Abbey warrior" prestige class? Or is the sword bearer prestige class meant to fulfill that role?
    Benedictus, Venit in Nomine, in Nomine, Domini, Hossanna in Excelsis........

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Averagedog View Post
    I love what your doing dude.

But one thing I've noticed. Shouldn't there be an "Abbey warrior" prestige class? Or is the sword bearer prestige class meant to fulfill that role?
    Thanks! The sword-bearer is meant to be for the current wielder of the sword of Martin. On occassion this is not the abbey warrior, so I didn't name it such, and plan on an ex-sword-wielder clause that let's them still benefit from abilites after they pass on the sword to someone else. (I.E. a Matthias and Mattimeo situation. Once Mattimeo wields the sword, Matthias should still be a formidable warrior.)
    Abbey warrior may be something to add also.

19. - Top - End - #49

I'm assuming the sword of martin will be a legacy weapon. Just makes sense, really.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    I'm assuming the sword of martin will be a legacy weapon. Just makes sense, really.
    That does make sense. I don't have Weapons of Legacy though, so all I know of them are cribbed from various discussions on the internet.

21. - Top - End - #51

SamuraiGuy

I have that book... at school. When I get back in a few days I will look through it on the rules, but from what I can remember the sacrifces, and the feats you need to take to use it usually outcosts the benefits.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Averagedog View Post
    I have that book... at school. When I get back in a few days I will look through it on the rules, but from what I can remember the sacrifces, and the feats you need to take to use it usually outcosts the benefits.
    That was the feel I got, which is why I never purchased it. I may do something similar though, that doesn't suck

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Started working on Turning Bloodwrath into a PrC. Once again, I need slepp in order to continue.

24. - Top - End - #54

Badger is up! It took a lot of do-overs and second-guessing, but I think I captured a badger

Now, let the disagreements commence!

(Joking here, it's just funny that the Badger was the point of so much ire in Admiral Squish's thread.)

I really need to decide whether to go all out and design based on the idea that there is no real "magic" in the world, or allow D&D magic into the Redwall world. No magic means a world closer to the books, with almost entirely martial classes, perhaps some marshals or non-spellcasting bards. Closer to the books, but it doesn't really feel like D&D without magic. Could I get some input on which of those options people would like to see?
    Last edited by The Antigamer; 2011-01-11 at 04:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Looks fine to me. But I have to ask why this:

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Started working on Turning Bloodwrath into a PrC. Once again, I need slepp in order to continue.
    has to happen at all. For Hares?

About Magic: I would let it go. Their are Magic Items sure, like Martin's Sword and the Walking Stone (aas it actually magic? That always confised me...) and more I can't remember I'm sure, but players? Leave it. You need to make a GOOD Healer PC though. I'd also allow the Bard and get rid of his spell casting, and maybe have a Seer PrC that has spells, but that's it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Redwall Project (Now with 100% more badgers!)

There are actually several non-badgers (and non-hares) who had Bloodwrath, including Martin the Warrior himself. That's why I originally thought it could work as a trait that increased your LA.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There are actually several non-badgers (and non-hares) who had Bloodwrath, including Martin the Warrior himself. That's why I originally thought it could work as a trait that increased your LA.
    I need to go back in read the books apparently.

According to the Redwall Wiki, so did Triss. I really need to re-read these.

EDIT: I also think you should do Seals f they can talk, but I dont think I've read a book with Seals in them so... Yeah
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-01-11 at 03:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Looks fine to me. But I have to ask why this:

has to happen at all. For Hares?

About Magic: I would let it go. Their are Magic Items sure, like Martin's Sword and the Walking Stone (aas it actually magic? That always confised me...) and more I can't remember I'm sure, but players? Leave it. You need to make a GOOD Healer PC though. I'd also allow the Bard and get rid of his spell casting, and maybe have a Seer PrC that has spells, but that's it.
    So one vote for no magic. The Walking Stone is a tortoise. And like Herpestidae said, bloodwrath is present in all badgers, but it's not exclusive to them.

I see it more as a template or PrC. Looking forwards to seeing your attempt, and seeing how it's similar to and different from the notes I have jotted down.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I need to go back in read the books apparently.

According to the Redwall Wiki, so did Triss. I really need to re-read these.

EDIT: I also think you should do Seals f they can talk, but I dont think I've read a book with Seals in them so... Yeah
    There have been several books with seals, Legend of Luke, Pearls of Lutra, Triss, High Rhulain, and they're all intelligent, and have their own language.

29. - Top - End - #59

SamuraiGuy

If you were to put magic into redwall... the only magic I can see being in this universe is divination magic or even illusion in some cases taking out the spells that deal damage as manifested abilities. Maybe some spells could be reflavored to be morale bonuses? There is a lot of morale boosting type warlord like events seen in the books.

edit. In fact if hit points were relfavored to be more about morale of your character rather than strictly your ability to fight. Healing spells can be reflavored as well.
    Last edited by Averagedog; 2011-01-11 at 07:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Walking Stone is a tortoise.
    But wasn't it a Magic Tortoise?

There have been several books with seals, Legend of Luke, Pearls of Lutra, Triss, High Rhulain, and they're all intelligent, and have their own language.
    Further proof I need to re-read, as I have read 3/4 of those. Anywho, I'd do them then. Might be kind of akward to play as, but if everyone played one, or it was a shoreline campaign... Im not sure anymore. They're sort of impractical as a PC race.