New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Redwall Project (Now with 100% more badgers!)

Weird, I somehow unsubscribed from my own thread
    I shouldn't even be on here, I'm buried under work, but I feel obligated to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalusk View Post
    Would it make sense to give shrews, or maybe just the Gousim, bonuses to certain skills when working in a group or aided by another? Just food for thought.
    They already have bonuses for working in a group. Pygmy shrews will get even more, and the gousim will gain such abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Daxxel View Post
    hey I just finished doing this very same thing, with mammals, birds reptiles and a few amphibians. If you want to have a look at what I have let me know.
    Feel free to post 'em, send them to me, or link them!

Quote Originally Posted by 101jir View Post
    OK, this may be somewhat opinionated, and I have only seen the series (Maybe there are book characters I am not aware of), but how do rats get +2 to Con and Stoats don't? Honestly, (yes this is very opinionated), I think Badrang, at least in the way he was in the series, could totally destroy Cluny in any stat, and certainly Con among them.

EDIT: I see everyone else is making significant contributions and I am just asking questions. I hope I am not in the way, am I?
    This is not about individuals, but about races. When looking at a race, look at rank and file, not standouts and leaders. Rats, to me, tend to last longer than other vermin, on average. They have more stamina, get beat up more, injured more, and still spring back, even if they complain about it. That was what I was going for. This thread is not supposed to turn into a who would beat who argument Feel free to make any criticisms you like though, even if I don't agree with it, it will force me to justify decisions I made, and promote discussion.

Also, if someone knows of a good image for bats, similar to the styles I've been using, I'd appreciate you pointing it out
    Speaking of which, what do you think of the images I've been using?
    Last edited by The Antigamer; 2011-02-01 at 10:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Just one question: Why are badgers a class and not a race?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Just one question: Why are badgers a class and not a race?

Debby
    They are a monster class, which is basically a race with racial HD and level adjustment that doesn't suck. You can check out Savage Species for more info, as well as this forum's very own Community Based Monster Class thread.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Antigamer
    +1 luck bonus on all saves. Foxes are extraordinarily lucky and capable of avoiding mishaps.
    By saying that foxes are extraordinarily lucky, this seems to imply to me at least +2. +1 does not seem that out of the ordinary. The wording does not seem to fit with the bonus to me.

EDIT: I would think (I haven't seen the bats in Redwall), that bats would be weaker than shrews. Maybe shrews get only -3? While the pictures are OK, I think as far as the mice, otters, etc that were in the movie that they look less cheesy. Not that its important.
    Last edited by 101jir; 2011-02-03 at 05:36 PM.
    Long Sig (now with nonsense riddles).

Squadron leader of =Knights of Wolf= in War Thunder

...you either learn to laugh, or you go insane. I prefer to laugh.
    -Ee'char STDS9: Hard Time

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

+1 is a larger bonus than normal for that.

Also, ability scores are ALWAYS multiples of two.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post

And to all saves. Not something silly like against Fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Huh this looks interesting, although i haven't read the books they sound like a fun read, i might try running a game with this when its finished. Keep up the Good work please.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burnheart View Post
    Huh this looks interesting, although i haven't read the books they sound like a fun read, i might try running a game with this when its finished. Keep up the Good work please.
    They are mostly a fun read. The only ones I truly disliked were Triss and Eulalia.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    And to all saves. Not something silly like against Fear.
    You two answered the questions pretty much exactly how I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnheart View Post
    Thanks! I'd love to keep up the work, but it seems like my classes are intent on leaving me no time to homebrew. I don't think I've posted on the boards once in the last week except from my phone, and it's hard to do any good writeups with it.

10. - Top - End - #160

I would have to say, at least as far as the picture thing I mentioned goes, I do really like the Ferret one. I am just now considering about using it for my avatar. Looks really cool.

I can see the caption now: "Time to RIP YOUR FACE OFF! HEHE!"
    Last edited by 101jir; 2011-02-03 at 06:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

As far as classes go I have a couple questions:

1) What Tier do you envision Redwall is being, on average? Between 4 and 5? Because that's how the "base classes suitable to Redwall" look to me.

2) This is a low-magic setting, right? So stuff like Wizards and Clerics are right out?
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

12. - Top - End - #162

Programs are compiling, and my mind peers through a haze of sleepiness!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    As far as classes go I have a couple questions:

1) What Tier do you envision Redwall is being, on average? Between 4 and 5? Because that's how the "base classes suitable to Redwall" look to me.

2) This is a low-magic setting, right? So stuff like Wizards and Clerics are right out?
    I hope to make it mostly tier 3. I know this will mean I'll have to adapt classes to be more suitable, but hey, this is the homebrewer's forum, have we ever gone a day without a class fix popping up? I'll probably ask for permission to link classes I think are a good fit.

People said I should just go full-out trying to stay as close to the books as possible, so for now it's extremely low magic, full casters nowhere to be seen. After I finish up balancing everything, then I'll add an "Epilogue: How Magic Came to the Woods" addition detailing Redwall with magic. That will also be the place for races/classes/templates that weren't in the books to be congregated. Of course, anyone can pick up the Redwall chasis I'm trying to build, strap on some wizards, and go about Redwall slinging spells and eldritch might, if that's how they'd like to play. I think it would be fun to play in an age of the Redwall world where magic is being discovered and used for the first time.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Antigamer View Post
    I hope to make it mostly tier 3. I know this will mean I'll have to adapt classes to be more suitable, but hey, this is the homebrewer's forum, have we ever gone a day without a class fix popping up? I'll probably ask for permission to link classes I think are a good fit.
    Ah, okay, well like you said there's tons of class fixes for those classes all over the internet, and especially here. So as long as you pick the right fixes you should have plenty to work with. Honestly, though, as much as I love Tier 3, I think Tier 4 would feel more Redwall-ish to me.

People said I should just go full-out trying to stay as close to the books as possible, so for now it's extremely low magic, full casters nowhere to be seen. After I finish up balancing everything, then I'll add an "Epilogue: How Magic Came to the Woods" addition detailing Redwall with magic. That will also be the place for races/classes/templates that weren't in the books to be congregated.
    Ah, nice, that's a very cool idea. I like the enthusiasm. Tier 4 full casters would be interesting to design, but I think I might be up for the challenge.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2011-02-04 at 05:54 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

14. - Top - End - #164

Ah, okay, well like you said there's tons of class fixes for those classes all over the internet, and especially here. So as long as you pick the right fixes you should have plenty to work with. Honestly, though, as much as I love Tier 3, I think Tier 4 would feel more Redwall-ish to me.

Ah, nice, that's a very cool idea. I like the enthusiasm. Tier 4 full casters would be interesting to design, but I think I might be up for the challenge.
    Mayhaps, but I have to keep an eye towards people actually wanting to play and enjoy themselves, and most people enjoy tier 3 over tier 4.

If you'd like to kick me some ideas for implementing magic in Redwall, both for this project and the epilogue, I'm all ears!

In other news, I finally have some free time, and I was looking over what mammal races I have left to do, and it stuck me that I'm not quite sure how to make Sea Otters distinct from Otters, and yet not make them strictly better than Otters. Does anyone have any ideas on that front?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In other news, I finally have some free time, and I was looking over what mammal races I have left to do, and it stuck me that I'm not quite sure how to make Sea Otters distinct from Otters, and yet not make them strictly better than Otters. Does anyone have any ideas on that front?
    Bigger swimspeed, a Con bonus and heavier penalties on mental stats, profession (sailor), craft (something ship related)...
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-02-05 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

16. - Top - End - #166

I get that you still have quite a bit to take care of for using the d20 system, and probably want to focus on that first. Just an idea for later consideration:
    What about a Fudge system for Redwall? Attributes could include Str, Con, Int, Cha, Dex, Sensory, speed, craft, maybe a few others. Different creatures get automatic bonuses. Wouldn't necassarily have any advantage over D20 (as far as I can tell), but it would be interesting to try.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

If you'd like to kick me some ideas for implementing magic in Redwall, both for this project and the epilogue, I'm all ears!
    Are you familiar with the idea of Incantations, as presented in the Unearthed Arcana book? Actually you can find the rules HERE. They are magical rituals of minor to moderate power that characters of any class can do. If you are familiar with 4e it is similar to the way 4e Ritual Casting operates.

As far as "for-real" caster classes in Redwall, I'm not 100% sure. My first thought is that classes like Wizard or Cleric shouldn't even be considered, but that classes like Warmage, Beguiler, and the like should work just fine. I also think that such full-casters would be more rare in Redwall Universe, such that "gish" classes like Duskblades and Eldritch Knights would be far more common.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Bigger swimspeed, a Con bonus and heavier penalties on mental stats, profession (sailor), craft (something ship related)...
    Hmmm, a con bonus offset by stiffer penalties might work. I was going to give them Profession(Sailor), I know that. Not sure about the bigger swimspeed, if anything I might give otter swim speed a boost, and have sea otters with the lower swim speed, but a longer time holding their breath.

Quote Originally Posted by 101jir View Post
    I get that you still have quite a bit to take care of for using the d20 system, and probably want to focus on that first. Just an idea for later consideration:
    What about a Fudge system for Redwall? Attributes could include Str, Con, Int, Cha, Dex, Sensory, speed, craft, maybe a few others. Different creatures get automatic bonuses. Wouldn't necassarily have any advantage over D20 (as far as I can tell), but it would be interesting to try.
    Hmmm, I dunno about that. I feel like I'll be pretty burnt out on Redwall stuff after all is said and done. And I'm most familiar with 3.5 rules, so that's what I'm most comfortable implementing it in.

Are you familiar with the idea of Incantations, as presented in the Unearthed Arcana book? Actually you can find the rules HERE. They are magical rituals of minor to moderate power that characters of any class can do. If you are familiar with 4e it is similar to the way 4e Ritual Casting operates.

As far as "for-real" caster classes in Redwall, I'm not 100% sure. My first thought is that classes like Wizard or Cleric shouldn't even be considered, but that classes like Warmage, Beguiler, and the like should work just fine. I also think that such full-casters would be more rare in Redwall Universe, such that "gish" classes like Duskblades and Eldritch Knights would be far more common.
    Oh, I think the tier 3 casters and gishes would be fine, but there won't be any real explicit spellcasters, them included, in the project as-is. They'll be in the Epilogue. My goal now is to make a base as close to Redwall as possible, then expand to include the option of magic in the game.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by The Antigamer
    Hmmm, I dunno about that. I feel like I'll be pretty burnt out on Redwall stuff after all is said and done. And I'm most familiar with 3.5 rules, so that's what I'm most comfortable implementing it in.
    Actually, the fudge system would probably be very simple to set up a redwall for. I probably should not say to much more on this, just so we don't end up getting in the way of more relevent posts, but I think this could be set up quite easily.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Why are badgers given a class but no base stats? They seem to be the only creature that has this.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

21. - Top - End - #171

It's a monster class. It has the stats in it.
    Last edited by radmelon; 2011-02-07 at 09:54 AM.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Even with a monster class there should be a write up for a badger. Monster classes are just if you want to use one as a PC.

Debby

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Even with a monster class there should be a write up for a badger. Monster classes are just if you want to use one as a PC.

Debby
    This is true I guess, but, I mean, how is it different from stating up an NPC fighter or something?

24. - Top - End - #174

Sea otter added, with placeholder image for now, Otter swim speed increased, Marlfox added to to-do list, Hamster and Flitchaye also added. Also added a couple items to do.

Thoughts on Sea Otters? Should I have a -4 and -2 penalty? Hamsters and Flitchaye look ok?

25. - Top - End - #175

Last edited by Maeglin_Dubh; 2011-02-07 at 10:39 PM.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post

Whelp, my day's ruined.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Then we must continue, in honor of the great Man that he was. I will start correcting the Bloodwrath post on Wednesday.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

*gasp*
    You will be remembered, BJ. I love you.
    And yes, we shall continue.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

R.I.P. Brian Jacques, passed on to the sunny slopes and quiet streams...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalusk View Post
    R.I.P. Brian Jacques, passed on to the sunny slopes and quiet streams...
    Loamhedge.
    *sniff*