New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post

Anyways, tonight I'm going to sit down and have a long, hard chat with the Pseudonatural Creature. Hopefully I'll finish it within the next several hours. And not get frustrated, throw my hands up and go to something else. >.>
    psst, I think you're putting a bit too much work into this monster. Whenever I start talking to things, it indicates it's time to take a break.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-01-14 at 02:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    @Hyudra: I am interested with the Chimera, but I'd never stand in the way of love I'll do something else.
    That's sweet, but you should do it. Besides, I can't find a half decent image of the creature (Don't like the base image, there's way too many variants on the creature that don't fit the D&D description, and there's a ton of bad art by chimera lovers, with a scarcity of good stuff); that always hampers my enthusiasm to do the monster.

What were those?
    Kyton Kython prestige classes & War Troll, specifically (War troll was already listed as a prestige class, but was also erroneously listed as a base class).

Styx dragon updated, Kyuubi.

Gorgondantess: I spotted your 'find an image for the pseudonatural creature' contest, a ways back. I dunno if you still need it, but perhaps one of these images will suit your needs, or will help inspire you to go that extra mile as you work on the class (I find a good image is great inspiration/motivation for me).

http://i51.tinypic.com/24c7eqp.jpg - Sadly not in color, though arguably rather fitting.
    http://i53.tinypic.com/117xrhg.jpg - A little more artsy, definitely creepy.
    http://i52.tinypic.com/24op11k.jpg - I'm actually going from least favorite to favorite here.
    http://i52.tinypic.com/ajs7m1.jpg - And the last one, which I personally like.

I've got another half dozen or so that I didn't deem 100% accurate, in my image folder, that might nonetheless fit. If the above don't suit your tastes, let me know what you're looking for, exactly, and I'll take a look.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-14 at 12:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    psst, I think you're putting a bit too much work into this monster. Whenever I start talking to things, it indicates it's time to take a break.
    Naw, just means I'm doing my job right... giving it life, you know? See? It can walk, and talk, and FEEL! IIIIIT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVVEEEEEE!
    It's Igor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    That's sweet, but you should do it. Besides, I can't find a half decent image of the creature (Don't like the base image, there's way too many variants on the creature that don't fit the D&D description, and there's a ton of bad art by chimera lovers, with a scarcity of good stuff); that always hampers my enthusiasm to do the monster.
    Actually, Hyudra, that seems right up your alley. I'd prefer if you'd do it myself.

Gorgondantess: I spotted your 'find an image for the pseudonatural creature' contest, a ways back. I dunno if you still need it, but perhaps one of these images will suit your needs, or will help inspire you to go that extra mile as you work on the class (I find a good image is great inspiration/motivation for me).

http://i51.tinypic.com/24c7eqp.jpg - Sadly not in color, though arguably rather fitting.
    http://i53.tinypic.com/117xrhg.jpg - A little more artsy, definitely creepy.
    http://i52.tinypic.com/24op11k.jpg - I'm actually going from least favorite to favorite here.
    http://i52.tinypic.com/ajs7m1.jpg - And the last one, which I personally like.

I've got another half dozen or so that I didn't deem 100% accurate, in my image folder, that might nonetheless fit. If the above don't suit your tastes, let me know what you're looking for, exactly, and I'll take a look.
    Actually, Chump won that one.
    Spoiler
    Show

Though if you have any others along the same vein you think are good, go ahead and throw 'em at me.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2011-01-14 at 02:13 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

4. - Top - End - #94

Yeah, I'm not aiming to win or nothing, just thought it'd help inspire you. To be frank (no offense to Chumplump) the image you've got isn't what I imagine when I think 'pseudonatural creature'.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Solamith
    • HD, skill points, proficiencies need proper formatting. Bolded headings at the very least.
    • Easy enough fix
    • It seems to get 'Demon' too early. Compare to other demons, who get it at 2nd. Consistency is key.
    I'll see what I can do about that
  6. The Solamith is immune to its own soulfire and that of other solamiths... what's to stop a group of PCs from just having each player play Solamith and bombard their way through every encounter?
Good catch! I'll change it to just be its own soulfire.
  • The summon monster is kinda weak, given the very limited number of uses. Consider allowing one to use a lower level summon monster skill, more times a day? So at level N, I can use the highest level summon monster (Say, Summon Monster V) I have available once a day, or use one a step lower (Summon Monster IV) twice a day?
  • Was trying to keep the format the same as the other demons in that regard. I'll look into your suggestion.

If Foreign Soulfire fuel is a concern here, consider having lesser summoned creatures (ie. the summon monster IV instance) be destroyed absolutely by the offering of their flesh, effectively giving you only one unbuffed shot.
    That's probably a good idea for a limiting factor.
  • I would reword "is Reflex half (10 + 1/2HD + Con modifer)." to "allows a reflex save (10 + ...) for half damage.
  • Nitpicky, but I'll fix it.
  • State, in each ability description, when that ability is gained.
  • See above.
  • Widen Soulfire - I'd state that taking that extra damage is voluntary. Reword to something like "At Xth level, the Solamith can choose to take extra damage when using Soulfire. For every 2 damage taken in this way..."
  • That's supposed to be the intent, but I'll clean it up for clarification.
  • Again, with Abyssal Defenses, Solamith gains the ability at a level different from other demons. Consider switching the place of Abyssal Defenses and Growth.
  • I'll check to see if that makes sense. I think I made it the way it is because it's a pretty one-trick-pony class and wanted to give it something good a little bit earlier.
  • Maximize Soulfire - For every 4 extra points of damage taken... so if I take 8 self damage, then I get +2 die of damage (Maximize Soulfire) and +10' blast radius (Widen Soulfire)? Or do they not stack? Clarify.
  • Again, that's supposed to be the intent, but I'll clarify it.
  • Finally, I don't like it having full BAB and Str bonuses. One or the other (If ability to land ranged attacks is an issue, consider allowing Str to apply to the ranged attack rolls).
  • I'll see if I can replace the strength bonus with something else.

EDIT: Made changes.
    Last edited by Makiru; 2011-01-14 at 06:31 PM.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

• - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alas, I do not think I am going to have the time right now to rework the flesh golem class I started a while back. If anyone else is willing to work on it, they are welcome to.

Also, while I am here, might I request a Deathless template?
    Last edited by Super_Fluous; 2011-01-15 at 12:42 AM.

• - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

I should probably mention that I am still working on overhauling the Silver dragon.

• - Top - End - #98

Storm Giant
    Monster Class
    SRD, Monster Manual I

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show

HD: D8
    {TABLE]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Feature
    1| +0| +2| +0| +2| Storm Giant body, Powerful Build, Str+1, Con+1
    2| +1| +3| +0| +3| Tempestuous, Assail, Zap, Str+1, Con+1
    3| +2| +3| +1| +3| Thunder and Lightning, Torrential Attack Str+1, Con+1
    4| +3| +4| +1| +4| Growth, Throw Stone, Catch, Str+1, Con+1
    5| +3| +4| +1| +4| Trample, Thunderbolt, Str+1, Con+1
    6| +4| +5| +2| +5| Call The Thunder, Thundercloud Throne, Str+1, Con+1
    7| +5| +5| +2| +5| Monsoon Spirit, Str+1, Con+1
    8| +6| +6| +2| +6| Unflinching, Thunderstroke, Str+1, Con+1
    9| +6| +6| +3| +6| Thunder Step, Lightning Palm, Str+1, Con+1
    10| +7| +7| +3| +7| Breath of Squalls, Str+1, Con+1
    11| +8| +7| +3| +7| Thunderstorm, Str+1, Con+1
    12| +8| +8| +4| +8| Rolling Thunder/Forked Lightning, Str+1, Con+1
    13| +8| +8| +4| +8| Eye of the Storm, Str+1, Con+1
    [/TABLE]
    Skill Points: 4+int modifier per level, quadruple at first level.
    Class Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft (Any), Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Perform (sing), Sense Motive, Spot, Swim.

Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, his own natural weapons, and light armor.

Storm Giant Body: The Storm Giant loses all other racial bonuses, and gains giant traits (mainly low light vision), a base speed of 30 feet, two natural slam attacks doing 1d4+Str each and a +1 racial bonus on thrown rocks. Lastly, he gains natural armor equal to his Con bonus.

Storm Giants gain a racial bonus to Swim checks equal to half their HD, and can always take 10 while swimming, even when endangered. Storm Giants ignore any and all weight penalties for gear carried while swimming.

Ability score increase: a Storm Giant gains +1 Str and +1 Con for each level in this class. By thirteenth level, a Storm Giant has +13 Str and +13 Con.

Powerful Build: At first level, a Storm Giant gains Powerful Build. The physical stature of Giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever the Giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Tempestuous: At second level, the Storm Giant gains a resistance to electricity equal to double his HD. Further, the Storm Giant gains a bonus to saves against deafness and blindness equal to his HD or his charisma bonus, whichever is higher. Finally, the Storm Giant can now see without difficulty in even the heaviest rainfall.

At 9HD, the Storm Giant is immune to electricity damage.

Assail: Starting at second level, the Storm Giant may leverage his strength to tear through the ranks of those lesser than him. When the Storm Giant successfully strikes and damages a foe smaller than him with a melee or ranged physical attack, he delivers damage equal to his slam, without the strength bonus, to each foe within 5' of his target. For each size category the Storm Giant grows, this increases by 5'.

Zap: A second level Storm Giant can strike foes with bolts of lightning from great range. The Storm Giant can fire off a bolt with a 120 ft range, dealing 1d6 damage, with an added 1d6 damage at 4HD and every 2HD thereafter. The attack automatically arcs towards the target, but the foe gets a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Cha) to avoid the damage entirely. Zap is a spell-like ability with a spell level equal to half the Storm Giant's HD.

In addition, a Storm Giant who multiclasses into an arcane caster class can now count his Storm Giant levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL/ML and for the purposes of learning new spells/powers and getting new spell slots/power points. However, he does not retroactively gain spell slots or new spells for caster levels he did not take, nor does he add his Storm Giant level to his character level for the purpose of class features, such as familiars. Storm Giants cast non-SLA electricity spells at +1 caster level.

Thunder and Lightning: Starting at third level, the Storm Giant's natural instincts in combat and controlling the weather come together in a duality mirroring that of Thunder and Lightning. Any time the Storm Giant strikes a foe for physical damage, he applies one 'Surge of Thunder' charge to that foe. Likewise, any time the Storm Giant delivers lightning damage to a foe, he applies one 'Surge of Lightning' charge to that foe. These charges can accumulate indefinitely, but if one full round passes without the Storm Giant attacking or using an ability that potentially deals electricity damage, then any lingering surges dissipate. If a foe moves more than 200' away from the Storm Giant, then all surges fade from that foe.

The latent charges on a foe come into effect when the Storm Giant follows through with an appropriate form of attack:
    Surge of Thunder:
    One Surge of Thunder is applied to any foe damaged by a physical attack of the Storm Giant, be it a ranged or melee attack. Should the Storm Giant deliver lightning damage to a foe with lingering Surges of Thunder, then all surges are removed from that foe and the foe is thrown 5' away from the Storm Giant (or from the origin of the blast in the case of area of effect damage) for every surge removed. Such foes must make a DC (10 + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Cha mod + 2 for every surge removed) Balance check or fall prone as they hit the ground. Foes who cannot move the full distance due to intervening obstacles take 1d6 damage for every 2HD of the Storm Giant instead, plus 1d6 damage for every 5' remaining in the movement. Foes colliding with something deliver the same damage to the obstacle (be it a terrain feature, wall or living creature) as they themselves take. Creatures who would be struck by an airborne foe may make a reflex save (DC 10 + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Cha mod) to avoid being struck, in which case the flying foe passes through the square. Uses of Assail (A Storm Giant ability described above) will apply a Surge of Thunder to any foes adjacent to the Storm Giant's target, in addition to the target.

Surge of Lightning:
    One Surge of Lightning is applied to any foe dealt lightning damage by a spell, SLA, (non-weapon) magical item or ability of the Storm Giant. Should the Storm Giant deal physical damage to a foe with latent Surge of Lightning charges on them, then all Surges are removed from that foe and the foe must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Str mod) or be Blinded and Deafened for one round per surge removed. Creatures with other means of sensing foes (such as blindsense, tremorsense or mindsight) are nonetheless shaken enough by the attack that their effective ranges for these abilities are halved.
    A Storm Giant cannot add a surge on the same round that he triggers one: abilities that trigger a Surge of Thunder do not add a Surge of Lightning to any foes, and vice versa. Attacks that deal both physical and lightning damage (such as a magic weapon that deals bonus electricity damage) add only Surges of Thunder. The Storm Giant cannot add Surges to opponents who could not grant him experience.

Torrential Attack: At third level, the Storm Giant is well versed enough in the nuances of the storm, and can alter his attacks and techniques to optimal effect. Any time the Storm Giant deals damage, he may make half of that damage lightning damage. Further, any time the Storm Giant deals lightning damage (not counting abilities already turned partially or wholly to lightning damage by Torrential Attack), he may instead choose to deal half damage and deliver sonic damage instead. Attacks and abilities altered by way of Torrential Attack do not add Surges of Lightning or trigger Surges of Thunder, as described in Thunder and Lightning, above.

At 6HD, the Storm Giant counts any attack altered with Torrential Attack as though it were magical, with an effective enhancement bonus of +1 per 4HD of the Storm Giant.

At 10HD, the Storm Giant may choose to make the entirety of any damage dealt by attacks, spells or abilities into lightning damage.

At 14HD, the Storm Giant may turn any lightning damage into sonic damage, without halving the damage dealt.

At 18HD, the Storm Giant may add Surges of Lightning as appropriate.

Growth: At fourth level, the Storm Giant finishes growing to large size but loses Powerful Build. His AC, bonus to hit, slam damage, grapple and skills change accordingly, but doesn't get any ability score bonus or penalties. The giant's base movement speed increases by 10' (This movement boost occurs again at 12HD and 20HD, as the giant increases in size again).

The Giant continues to grow throughout his life:
    At 8HD, the Storm Giant reacquires Powerful Build, granting partial benefits of Huge size.
    At 12HD, the Storm Giant grows to Huge size and loses Powerful Build.
    At 16HD, the Storm Giant reacquires Powerful Build, granting partial benefits of Gargantuan size.
    At 20HD, the Storm Giant grows to Gargantuan size and loses Powerful Build.

Throw Stone: At fourth level, the Storm Giant may begin throwing boulders or other large objects. A giant of at least Large size can hurl rocks weighing 40 to 50 pounds each (Small objects) up to 700 feet. A Huge giant can hurl rocks of 60 to 80 pounds (Medium objects). A Gargantuan giant can hurl rocks of 90 to 120 pounds (large objects). Inanimate objects of similar size and heft may be substituted, but you lose the racial bonus to attack rolls and have half the range.

Catch: At fourth level, a giant that would normally be hit by a rock can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one. (If the projectile provides a magical bonus on attack rolls, the DC increases by that amount.) The giant must be ready for and aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.

Trample: At fifth level, as a full-round action, The Giant can move up to twice his speed and literally run over any opponents at least one size category smaller than itself. The Giant merely has to move over the opponents in its path; any creature whose space is completely covered by the Giant’s space is subject to the trample attack. If a target’s space is larger than 5 feet, it is only considered trampled if the Giant moves over all the squares it occupies.

A trample attack deals bludgeoning damage (the Giant’s slam damage + 1½ times his Str modifier).

Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but these take a -4 penalty. If they do not make attacks of opportunity, trampled opponents can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage.

The save DC against the Giant’s trample attack is 10 + ½ Giant's HD + Giant’s Str modifier. The Giant can only deal trampling damage to each target once per round, no matter how many times its movement takes it over a target creature.

Thunderbolt: The fifth level Storm Giant is capable of releasing much more devastating bolts of lightning. His Zap becomes Thunderbolt, with the following changes: it now operates as a 120' line attack, offering a Reflex save (10 + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Cha) to each creature within its area for half damage on a successful save. See Zap for damage progression.

The Thunderbolt sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in its path. It can melt metals with a low melting point, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, or bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the bolt may continue beyond the barrier if the spell’s range permits; otherwise, it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.

Call the Thunder: At sixth level, the Storm Giant can distill the latent energies in the surroundings into a delayed but powerful column of lightning. The Storm Giant must, as a standard action, designate a 5' square within 200'. This range increases by 20' per HD of the Storm Giant.

At the beginning of the Storm Giant's next turn, the target area is struck with a torrent of lightning that strikes from above. The lightning takes the form of a column with a 20' spread that extends from the ceiling or 7 miles up into the atmosphere, down to the ground. The column strikes everyone within the area for 1d6 lightning damage per HD of the Storm Giant, with a reflex save (DC 10 + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Cha) for half damage. For 1d4 rounds after this ability strikes, the Storm Giant loses use of his Zap, Thunderbolt, Thunderstroke, Thunderstorm, Torrential Attack and Call the Thunder abilities. Subtract 1 from the roll if the Storm Giant is outdoors, and a further 1 from the roll if the Storm Giant is in a stormy area (a rain shower, clouds and wind, hot and cloudy conditions, or even a tornado).

Foes are aware if they are in the area of an incoming column of lightning, as the air crackles and the smallest hairs on their body stand on end. Foes that enter the area as part of their movement become aware of the imminent threat. Structures and objects that are firmly affixed to the ground will ground the electricity and take no damage.

Should the Storm Giant wish, he may focus and direct the lightning. To do so, he must spend a full round casting Call the Thunder, with the benefit of being able to choose the target area as the casting completes. Doing so detracts from the primal nature of the effect, however, and halves the damage to 1d4 damage per HD of the Storm Giant, with a reflex save (see above) negating it entirely.

At 12HD, the Storm Giant may designate a total number of target areas equal to half his Charisma bonus, provided the squares at the center of each blast radius are at least 30' from one another.

At 18HD, the Storm Giant may designate a total number of target areas equal to his Charisma bonus, provided the squares at the center of each blast radius are at least 30' from one another.

Thundercloud Throne: Starting at sixth level, the Storm Giant may seat himself on a throne of dark, rumbling clouds, giving him the ability to take to the air. The Thundercloud Throne can be created with a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, and directed to move 20' a round in a given direction with a standard action. The Throne then continues moving in the chosen direction until it is stopped or the direction is changed with another standard action. The movement is heavily affected by wind strength, increasing in speed by 20' a round for every step of wind strength after 'light' (ie. 40' a round at 'moderate', 60' a round at strong, 80' a round at severe, and so on.), so long as you are moving in the direction of the wind. If the wind is magically generated (such as by a control weather effect) by an ally or the Storm Giant himself, then the Thundercloud Throne gains the bonus speed even when moving against the wind direction.

The Thundercloud Throne is such that only the Storm Giant treats it as solid, and only when such is beneficial to the Storm Giant. The Thundercloud Throne only provides partial cover to the Storm Giant for attacks from below, and provides no cover to enemies. That said, the Throne is a poor platform for attacks, and offers the same cumulative penalties for attacks as the Levitate spell, with the same ability to use a full round action to stabilize and reset the penalties.

The Throne dissipates in 1 round if the Storm Giant is not seated upon it, and otherwise dissolves after a duration of 1 minute per HD of the Storm Giant. The Thundercloud Throne may be created once a day for every 5HD of the Giant.

At 11HD, the Thundercloud Throne may be directed with a move action rather than a standard action.

At 15HD, the Thundercloud Throne offers no penalties for attacks.

At 17HD, the Thundercloud Throne may be directed with a swift action instead.

Monsoon Spirit: Starting at seventh level, the Storm Giant is so intimate with the manner in which the storm affects the sea that he may effortlessly pass from open air to water below. The Storm Giant comes under the effect of an endless Freedom of Movement effect, gains the ability to breathe underwater and can effortlessly use any class abilities while underwater, with the exception of Call the Thunder.

Unflinching: The eighth level Storm Giant is capable of standing tall and unblinking against gale force winds, and may reflexively withstand or bat aside the attacks of lesser creatures in the same way he takes on flying debris. The Storm Giant gains the ability to automatically resist the attacks delivered by creatures smaller than him. This applies automatically to the next attack successfully delivered by any creature smaller than the Giant, rendering the attack into an effective miss. This ability recharges in 1d4 rounds, with the recharge time reduced by one round sooner for every time the Storm Giant successfully strikes a creature smaller than him. Creatures that could not grant the Storm Giant experience do not reduce the recharge time in this manner.

Thunderstroke: At eighth level, the Storm Giant is capable of using lightning to tear through the ranks of his enemies with artful ease. His Thunderbolt becomes Thunderstroke, with the following changes: it now operates either as a line attack as described under Thunderbolt, or it can be used as a 120' range touch attack that branches off to strike additional targets for half damage. Each additional target must be within 30' of the previous target, no target may be struck more than once, and the total number of targets (including the primary) cannot exceed ½ your HD. The damage increases to 1d6 lightning damage for every HD of the Storm Giant. A successful reflex save (DC 10 + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Cha) will halve damage in the case of the line attack or the primary target of the branching attack and will negate the damage for the secondary targets of the branching attack. For 1d4 rounds after using the branching variant of this ability, the Storm Giant loses use of his Zap, Thunderbolt, Thunderstroke, Thunderstorm, Torrential Attack and Call the Thunder abilities. Subtract 1 from the roll if the Storm Giant is outdoors, and a further 1 from the roll if the Storm Giant is in a stormy area (a rain shower, clouds and wind, hot and cloudy conditions, or even a tornado).

At 13HD, this effect can strike a total number of targets equal to the Storm Giant's HD.

Thunder Step: Starting at ninth level, when the Storm Giant triggers a latent Surge of Thunder (Described in Thunder and Lightning, above), he may transport himself, moving in the moment that bright light and pealing thunder obscures the senses. This operates as a Dimension Door spell, but the target destination is the area previously occupied by the target. A Storm Giant seated on his Thundercloud Throne may bring it with him as Thunder Steps. If the Storm Giant uses Thunder Step and the target was smaller than the Storm Giant, then the Storm Giant may make an attack of opportunity against the flying foe for every surge removed after the first, striking with a series of quick strikes as the foe is sent into the air. This does not count against the Storm Giant's attacks of opportunity for the round, and the Storm Giant is only limited in the number of attacks that he may unleash by the number of surges spent. Attacks made in this manner do not add any Surges.

The knockback effect of spent Surges of Thunder extends to 10' per surge spent, regardless of whether Thunder Step is activated.

Lightning Palm: At ninth level, the Storm Giant gains the ability to bring catastrophic amounts of concussive force to bear when triggering latent Surges of Lightning (Described in Thunder and Lightning, above). The effect of spent Surges of Lightning extends; on a failed save, the victim is rendered blind and deaf for one minute per surge spent, instead. Further, if the victim's result on the Fortitude Save against the blindness and deafness does not exceed (5 x Surges of Lightning spent + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Str Mod), the victim is killed outright, instead. This is an extraordinary ability and a massive damage effect.

Breath of Squalls: The tenth level Storm Giant is capable of sending opponents tumbling head over heels with a single powerful breath, charged with the element of wind. As a standard action, the Storm Giant can use Gust of Wind as a standard action. This is an extraordinary ability, and counts as the Storm Giant attacking for the purposes of keeping any latent Surges active (A round spent using Breath of Squalls will not count as a round spent out of the fight and summarily, will not cause Surges of Thunder or Surges of Lightning to fade away).

Starting at 19HD, the Storm Giant can use this ability as a swift action.

Thunderstorm: At eleventh level, the Storm Giant may elect to make iterative attacks with his Thunderstroke ability. In doing so, he is limited to using the line-type attack. The DC for any additional Thunderstrokes is cumulatively decreased by -5 for each one fired after the first, with damage negated on a successful save.

Further, should he so wish, the Storm Giant may elect to waive a physical attack in favor of delivering a Thunderstroke. The DC is penalized as described above (-5 if you replace the second attack in a full attack, -10 for the third, and so on) and again, the damage is negated on a successful save.

Rolling Thunder/Forked Lightning: The twelfth level Storm Giant is a terrible force, relentless as the storm itself. He now adds two surges of the appropriate type, the first time he damages an opponent in a given round.

Eye of the Storm: At thirteenth level, the Storm Giant is a literal force of nature, his very presence affecting the direction of the wind and drawing an accumulation of thundering clouds overhead. The Cloud Giant is the subject of a permanent Control Weather effect, only the effect has a radius of one mile for every 5HD of the Giant, centered on the Giant himself. Further, the Storm Giant can always make it rain, regardless of the season.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Storm Giant. Not quite so tough or impossible to topple as some of the other Giants - he's still hampered by difficult terrain and doesn't get as many gimmicks for avoiding hassles. Put simply, he's tough, yes, but he's not a tank.

That said, what he does is tear **** up. I built him as a hybrid caster/brawler, with the Thunder and Lightning duality to complement that. You're effectively building up combo points and unleashing those points at your whim, for impressive effect.

I think the Storm Giant gives off a pretty feel of being 'impressive', as is fitting for the kings of giants, without being overly overpowered. I tried to avoid per-day effects where possible and balance in another way. I think it works out fairly well, but I encourage critiques.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    Changed skin color from blue to purple in the pic, to fit more with standard monster manual description.

Jan 23rd
    • Assail changed from "Melee does damage to adjacent equal to your slam damage (sans strength) and Ranged deals damage equal to the base weapon damage" to just using the slam.
    • Call the Thunder damage changed from 1d8/HD to 1d6/HD.
    • Unflinching phrasing clarified.
    • Stressed that the penalty for iterative thunderstrokes under Thunderstorm is cumulative.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-23 at 01:51 PM.

• - Top - End - #99

Wow, guess my Storm Giant killed the thread. That bad?

If anyone needs or wants reviews, or wants to post a creature even though their current stuff isn't quite done, speak up.

• - Top - End - #100

Wow, guess my Storm Giant killed the thread. That bad?

If anyone needs or wants reviews, or wants to post a creature even though their current stuff isn't quite done, speak up.
    I could use a quick check-up on whether the changes to Gray Jester were satisfactory. I haven't had time to do much on the board this weekend, had a program that needed writing, but I think I'll be able to review some more classes after tomorrow.

• - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I looked at storm giant yesterday but couldn't find anything glaringly wrong with it. I'm not very good at critiquing something, just making it, which is why I chose not to say anything.

tl;dr: storm giant looks fine, but get another opinion.

Also, if you didn't catch the tiny edit I did in my last post, I did revise the solamith based on the suggestions given. I'm afraid I kinda made it a little SAD, but it might be OK due to it hemorrhaging HP every time it makes an attack, let alone iterative attacks.
    Last edited by Makiru; 2011-01-18 at 11:06 PM.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

• - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

The instant I finish the Pseudonatural Creature, I'm reviewing the Storm Giant. I've looked it over, though, and as a preliminary, something to consider: being a mediocre blaster and a mediocre fighter doesn't make you a good character, it makes you a mediocre character. It's like being a sorcerer 10/fighter 10. The abilities don't mesh unless you can use both at once.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2011-01-19 at 02:10 AM.

• - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jovoc

Spoiler
    Show
    HD: d10
    {table=head]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 1|+ 2 |+ 0 | +0| Body of Vengeance, Double Claw, +1 Con
    2|+ 2|+ 3 |+ 0| +0|Demon, Abyssal Skin, +1 Str,
    3|+ 3|+ 3|+ 1| +1|Retributive Aura, +1 Con,
    4|+ 4|+ 4|+ 1| +1| Rapid Recovery, +1 Str
    5|+ 5|+ 4|+ 1| +1|Shared Doom, +1 Con[/table]
    Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons and natural weapons

Skills: 4 + Int modifier. Balance, Bluff, Craft, Climb, Concentration, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot.

1st Level:
    Body of Vengeance: You lose all previous racial bonuses and gain outsider traits (Darkvision 60ft) and the Chaotic and Evil subtypes. It's a small sized outsider with a base land speed of 30ft. A Jovoc has two claw attacks dealing 1d4 damage each and all your attacks count as being both evil and chaotic aligned.
    You gain a natural armor bonus equal to your constitution modifier.

Double Claw: You may attack with both claws as a standard attack.

Ability Score Increases: Your constitution increases by 1 at 1st, 3rd and 5th levels. (+3 overall)
    Your strength increases by 1 at 2nd and 4th levels. (+2 overall)

2nd Level:
    Demon: You gain telepathy equal to 30ft + 10ft per HD. You gain resistance to electricity equal to your HD and an equal bonus on saves against poison. You gain resistance to acid, cold and fire equal to half your HD.

Abyssal Skin: You gain DR/good or cold iron equal to half your HD. At 10 HD, this becomes DR/good and cold iron. You gain SR equal to 11 + your HD.

3rd Level:

Retributive Aura (Su): Whenever you take damage from any source (including ability damage), all creatures within a 30ft spread must make a Fortitude save (DC=10+1/2HD+Con bonus) or immediately take an amount of damage equal to half the damage that you took.
    Regardless of what the original source of the damage was, the damage dealt by this ability is not subject to negation or reduction due to resistance, immunity, damage reduction, spell resistance or similar abilities.
    You may choose to exclude any number of creatures from this effect.
    At 8HD this ability deals damage equal to that taken.
    At 16HD this ability inflicts any condition you are suffering from upon those within half range

4th Level:
    Rapid Recovery: You gain Fast Healing equal to 1/2 your HD.
    At 7HD you regain 1 point of ability damage each minute.
    At 14HD you regain 1 point of ability damage each round and 1 point of ability drain an hour.

5th Level:

Shared Doom: 1/day/5HD You may as a full round action invoke the ritual of shared doom. To perform the ritual you must ingest a small part of the victim (dealing at least one point of damage with a melee attack fulfills this requirement). Once performed you and the victim are bound together. Your victim is affected by your aura of retribution no matter where it is and never receives a saving throw. This ability lasts until you choose to release the victim and you may have a maximum number of victims equal to your Con modifier.
    In addition you always know the victim's location and teleportation effects and the planeshift spell are accurate.
    In addition both you and the victim are affected by any spell or spell-like ability that affects the other although you both make saves seperately and only need to make the save if the other fails their save.
    The Risk
    There is some risk to this technique as the victim can harm you as though the link. The victm can affect you as if the victim possessed the aura of retribution and shared doom abilities identical to your own(in other words it also always knows your location and you take any damage it takes however this damage does not activate your AoR nor does damage your AoR activate the victims effective AoR)

Conditions
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the purpose of Retributive Aura the following are considered conditions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Burn, Ability Drain, Blinded, Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Dazzled, Deafened, Disabled, Entangled, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigue, Frightened, Grappling, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Shaken, Sickened, Silenced(as the spell), Stable, Staggered, and Stunned
    The following conditions are included with a shared doom active on a victim:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blown Away, Checked, Dead, Dying, Energy Drained, Flat-Footed, Helpless, Incorporeal, Invisible, Knocked Down, Petrified, Pinned, Prone, and Unconscious
    I personally suggest using these as the limits for Iron Heart Surge as well. It is however up to the DM where to include spells that do not inflict damage or these conditions.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The jovoc is a small tough guy that can recover from damage really quickly and causes those who damage it to suffer. Its shared doom ensures that an opponent can never escape from it and cant be ignored because it can move and attack itself causeing it to be able to use its melee attacks as area of effect attacks

I am looking at retributive aura and it feels strong but I didnt change it all that much from MM2

1/21/2011 Edit clarified the Risk, also made it so any spell that affects the victim or the jovoc affects the other as well to solve the healing problem and the teleportation issue is solved by it knowing your exact location.
    Last edited by The Winter King; 2011-01-21 at 10:32 PM.

• - Top - End - #104
    Firbolg in the Playground

Has anyone re-done the Eryines yet? The original class was more "Girl with rope" rather than "LE Temptress and political machinator".

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

• - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Sorry I haven't been around to help review. Unfortunately, I still don't really have time to do much reviewing, but I thought I'd toss out a comment on the Storm Giant after a quick look. Namely, the Assail ability. For one: Is the size requirement affected by Powerful Build? So, would Assail still work if a medium giant with Powerful build were beating up on another medium target? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, but it might not hurt to have a word or three that makes it a little more definite. Also, and this is probably more then a little hypocritical of me after working on the Remorhaz, but automatic damage always felt weird to me. I mean, taking damage with no save, only having to hit someone else's AC rather then yours... I dunno. It just doesn't seem right. I mean, I guess you could get damage reduction by 4th level, when Assail actually becomes an issue to deal with the relatively small amount of damage dealt(being without the significant giant STR bonuses), but it still seems a little wonky to me.

I like the idea of pounding through masses of foes, though, so good idea and flavor. Just, no so much on the actual workings. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something more helpful then that with a little thinking.
    "The more I talk, the stupider I sound." ~Me
    "Life is what you make of it." ~Deadpool

• - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Jovoc tactic for ridiculous awesomeness:
    Get reach. Attack an enemy with shared doom. Teleport away. Have all your allies attack you with things like power attack, take the hits while the cleric is healing you. You're now the perfect assassin. One hit and any enemy is going down, and good.

• - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the clarification for Double Claw necessary? I thought you could always use all of your natural attacks as a standard action.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

• - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    Is the clarification for Double Claw necessary? I thought you could always use all of your natural attacks as a standard action.
    Nope. Attacking with 2 claws even requires a full round action. Unless by maneuver or feat or something like that, attacking more than once in one round requires a full round action.

• - Top - End - #109

Jovoc tactic for ridiculous awesomeness:
    Get reach. Attack an enemy with shared doom. Teleport away. Have all your allies attack you with things like power attack, take the hits while the cleric is healing you. You're now the perfect assassin. One hit and any enemy is going down, and good.
    I raised this issue when the Jovoc was first posted, and it's still there, which made me think it wasn't updated, at first.

Bladesmith, I hear you on the automatic damage, but I don't know that it's gamebreaking. You're still having to make a successful attack, initially, and I was concerned that something like "If your attack roll would hit any creatures adjacent to the target, they take slam damage as well" would be tedious or overly complex.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-19 at 09:28 PM.

• - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edited the jovoc slghtly

• - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quasi-God updated, Personal Plane redone being the big change.

I'm also hereby relinquishing any dibs I had on the Chimera, I had a go at making a start on it and it just wasn't up to snuff; I'm not going to do it justice.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

• - Top - End - #112

Goblin

Quasi-God: Divine Rank 0

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pre-reqs
    - 8HD
    - Knowledge (Religion): 4 ranks
    - Charisma 11 No love for the Hephaestus?
    - Successfully complete a trial of supreme difficulty, thus earning your Divinity. Generally this involves defeating a challenge with a CR higher than your ECL singlehandedly, though it could be something more abstract at the DM's discretion.

Hit Dice: d8
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1| *| *| *| *|Deific body, Divine Spark, +1 Stat
    2| *| *| *| *|Fledgling Portfolio, Shield of Divinity, +1 Cha
    3| *| *| *| *|Manifestation of Divinity, Timeless Body, +1 Stat
    4| *| *| *| *|Hamper the Competition, +1 Cha
    5| *| *| *| *|Divine Dealings, Immortal, +1 Stat[/table]
    Class Skills: (* Int Mod/Level) Knowledge (Religion), any 6 skills (chosen at 1st level and cannot be changed)

Proficiencies: Quasi-God grants proficiency with all Simple Weapons, Light Armour & Shields (but not Tower Shields). Why?

Divinity manifests differently in each of the rare few who achieve it. As such the classes abilities vary depending on the creatures outlook on life.
    The symbols in the table above are chosen by the player when they take their first level of this class and cannot be changed afterwards. They have access to 7 points to spend on the class.
    * - BAB defaults to that of a Wizard. By spending 1 point they can increase it to that of a Rogue, and by spending 2 additional points (3 total) they can increase it to that of a Fighter.
    * - All three Saves (Fort, Ref, Will) default to poor progression. Spending 2 points on a Save will increase it to the good Save Progression.
    * - Skill Points default to 2 Int Mod/level. Spending 1 point will increase this to 4, a second point will make it 6, and a further (3rd) point will make it 8.

In addition the Quasi-God may tailor the growth of their class abilities to a certain extent:
    - Spending two points will allow you to purchase one Monstrous Feat to allow this class to advance a previous Class Feature.
    - Spending points will allow you to advance previous Spellcasting, Manifesting or another progression (Manoeuvres, Essentia, Invocations, Soul Binding etc.) that the creature had, as if they had gained a level in that class. The amount of points spent determine how many levels advance spellcasting (eg. if a spellcaster spent 2 points it would mean Quasi-God levels 1 & 2 would advance their Caster Level, Spells/day & Spell Known (if applicable) but they would not gain any other benefits from their previous class). Spending any points on this option means the Quasi-God cannot spend any of these points to buy the Mind Afire Feat. Why would anyone do this when they can just take mind afire and get the same thing? (Unless I misunderstand that feat.)

Class Features

Deific Body (Ex): Unlike other Monster Classes the creature doesn't lose their racial traits when they take become a Quasi-God, but they do gain the Outsider Type (unless they were previously a Construct or Undead) and its Traits except that they can be revived as normal. Even if they were previously an Undead or Construct they choose a Plane which they feel is their home; they gain the Native subtype when on this Plane and the Extraplanar subtype when elsewhere. They also gain the subtype(s) that correspond to their alignment.

- They do not gain any natural attacks but they do gain a natural armour bonus equal to their Cha Mod.
    - They retain their previous size and base land speed. Their Base movement speeds all increase by 10ft for every 5HD they have.
    - Each of the races Age Categories increase to twice the norm, meaning their inherent lifespan is effectively doubled. Can this cause them to move into a younger age category?
    - The Quasi-God gains +1 to it's Charisma score at 2nd & 4th level. At levels 1, 3 & 5 they may advance 1 stat of their choice (which may be different for each boost).

Divine Spark (Su): The transition into the life of a Deity is a big one, but this power isn't given to just anyone, and mastering this new strength gives many rewards.

Every 1d4 rounds the Quadi-God may unleash a pulse of (untyped) energy that deals 1d6/2HD damage. Additionally, 1/2HD each day they may instead heal/repair (for constructs) a creature (including yourself) by the same amount. This ability usually requires a successful ranged touch attack (medium range), though willing subjects of your healing power are successfully affected automatically (assuming they are in range and you have line of effect with them). This ability requires a standard action to use. I'd suggest making several abilities, each one having a at will power and a 1/2HD power. It seems odd that all deities would be able to do this.

1/5 rounds the Quasi-God may duplicate any of the following spells, using your HD as your Caster Level (Save DC 10+1/2HD+Cha Mod):
    - Any Cantrip or Orison Cure minor wounds is an orison
    - Charm Monster Why?

The Quasi-God may also shed light as a torch (that supersedes magical darkness) or create an area of magical darkness in a 60ft radius around themselves at will. Torches only shed 40 ft of light, why does darkness go farther? What happens if two quasideities are within 20 ft of each other? As written the light would win, but shouldn't the stronger god be the one in control? Giving the ability to see through magical darkness might be a good idea.

Fledgling Portfolio (Sp): The creature may only be a minor God, but they are a God nonetheless and as such they must consider their portfolio: the facets of reality that they will begin to hold sway over.

They may chose a single Cleric Domain (not including Planar Domains) and gain it's granted power. They may also cast each of the Domain's spells 1/day as a spell-like ability. Some domains grant wish, you should probably have a "you still pay XP costs" clause in here.

They may only cast spells that are of a level that a Cleric who's level matched your HD could cast (eg. a Quasi-God of 8HD could use the spells of Level 1-4, and a 17HD Quasi-God could utilise all the spells in their chosen Domain).

At 15HD & every 5HD after that they gain an additional use of each SLA.

Shield of Divinity (Ex): As a Deity, many mortal magics find great difficulty affecting the creature.

- At 2nd level they gain resistance to either Acid, Cold or Electric equal to your HD, becoming full Immunity at 14HD.
    - At 3rd level they gain DR equal to 1/2 your HD that is overcome by one alignment that is opposed to an alignment subtype they gained from this class. If they gained none by being True Neutral then their DR is overcome by Adamantine.
    - At 4th Level they gain SR equal to 11+HD.
    - At 5th level they gain a bonus on Saves against mind-affecting abilities equal to 1/2 their HD.
    - At 15 HD they become immune to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage.

Manifestation of Divinity: At third level the Quasi-God chooses one of the abilities in the spoiler below:

Spoiler
    Show
    Divine Companion (Ex):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Quasi-God calls to their service a creature to serve as an ally and companion through their (possibly very) long life. This companion can be any animal that a Druid whose level matched your ECL could have.

The animal uses it's own stats (depending on it's current size; see below) and gains the benefits of being a Druid's Animal Companion. It may also speak one language the Quasi-God does and can communicate telepathically with their master as long as they can see one another. As a full round action the Quasi-God may increase or decrease the Companion's size by one step, from Tiny - Huge (regardless of if the original animal was either larger or smaller than this, Divine Companions are always within this size bracket, and will grow or shrink to either Tiny or Huge upon becoming a Companion). At 16HD they may adjust the companion from Diminuitive - Gargantuan and at 21HD they may adjust the companion from Fine - Colossal.

If the Companion is killed they may expend 3 uses of Divine Spark's healing effect to resurrect them after 24 hours have passed. Each time the Quasi-God gains a level they may change the animal that their companion is.

Aura of Divinity (Su):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Quasi-God exudes power and authority, they are surrounded by an aura of Divine Energy.

As a Move action the Quasi-God may grant themselves a 5ft/2HD aura around themselves that can affect those within it with one of several effects. Their aura may be active for 3 rounds/HD each day and they may spread these rounds throughout the day as they wish (dismissing the aura is a free action).

The Quasi-God chooses one major effect and two minor effects that they may use from the lists below. The Deity may have 1 effect active at a time initially. At 15HD they may have both minor effects active simultaneously, and at 20HD they may also choose to have their major and 1 minor effect active simultaneously.

Major Effects:
    • Resolve: All allies (including the Deity) within range of their aura receive a +1/3HD morale bonus on attack rolls, Saves, ability checks & skill checks.
    • Weaken: All enemies (excluding undead) suffer 1/4HD Negative levels that last for as long as they remain within the aura and for 1 hour afterwards (Fort Save DC 10+1/2HD+Cha Mod for half; minimum 0). Multiple applications do not stack, though re-entering the aura resets the hour before they fade.
    • Enhance: All allies (including the Deity) within range of their aura are treated as 1HD higher/4HD for effects that are dependant on it eg. Caster/Manifester level for spells/powers, Save DCs of abilities etc. These are not virtual or temporary HD (so new class levels/class features/spells/Hit Points/ Feats etc. are not gained, only the effects affected by an HD increase are affected.

Minor:
    (Unless stated, all Minor effects grant a bonus/penalty of 1/5HD)
    (Unless stated, any effects that affect allies also affect the Quasi-God)
    • Healing: All allies gain Fast Healing.
    • Drain: All enemies lose HP each round (no Save).
    • Senses: All allies gain a bonus to their Listen, Search & Spot checks, and to their Initiative.
    • Guard: All allies gain resistance of 5/5HD to one energy type (acid, cold, electric, fire, sonic). The energy type may be changed each time this effect is activated.
    • Bolster: All allies gain an insight bonus to 1 stat of the Quasi-God's choice (all allies receive this efect on the same stat, though the Quasi-God may change which stat it is every time they activate this ability).
    • Blur: All allies receive a Miss Chance of 5%/5HD. This is a displacement effect.

Far Sight (Su):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge is essential to successful growth as a Deity, and the Quasi-God is no exception, developing the skills necessary to expand their church.

As a Full Round action usable at-will, they may use a Scrying effect, the target's Will Save DC being 10+12/HD+Cha Mod+Quasi-God level, adjusted by the usual factors. Alternatively you may use a Clairaudience/Clairvoyance effect to see a location instead.

The Quasi-God gains Telepathy to a range of 5ft/HD. You may also communicate via Telepathy with anyone you can see through your Far Sight ability, and at your discretion you may create a Major Image (DC 10+12/HD+Cha Mod) of a creature of your choosing which appears within the area you can see by this ability.

Finally, the Quasi-God may take 10 on any Knowledge or Martial Lore check, gaining a bonus to Knowledge & Martial Lore checks equal to their Quasi-God level. These check bonuses are an (Ex) ability rather than (Su).

Divine Travel (Ex):
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the greatest perks of being a Deity is the freedom to go wherever they please, and by choosing this ability they begin to unlock this power.

As a standard action the Quasi-God may teleport 5ft/HD. If they would end up inside a solid object they instead shunt to the nearest free space within range (if there are no free squares the teleport fails).

Additionally, 1/6HD each day they may mimic the Teleport spell (improving to Greater Teleport at 17HD), and 1/8HD they may utilise a Plane Shift effect.

Finally, they are under a permanent Feather Fall effect, are not troubled by difficult terrain and may fly at a speed equal to their base land speed with average manoeuvrability.

Personal Plane (Su):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Quasi-God has their own minor Domain where they may rest, entertain and work.

The Quasi-God has their own demiplane (radius 10ft/HD). They may decide the temperature and geography of this plane, and may change them with 4 hours continuous effort. They may also decide the gravity, magic & alignment traits of the Plane (but not time traits or any others not explicitly allowed).

They may make the landscape out of any mundane material (not precious/alchemical metals, diamonds etc.) they wish and create any structure/plant life that they desire within it, but nothing except mundane food and drink created in the demiplane may be removed from it, nor have any effect in the real world.

While inside the demiplane all inhabitants gain Fast Healing 1/5HD up to 1/2 their max HP and any poisons or continuing negative effects (Melf's Acid Arrow, disease incubation period, negative levels etc.) are suspended, continuing as normal once the person leaves. This has the iron heart surge problem. Remember that dead is defined as a condition. In addition, whilst inside the Quasi-God is completely immune to any spell, skill, (Ex), (Su), (Sp) or any other kind of effect of any kind (psionics etc. included as per transparency). The only exception is if a God of Divine Rank 1 or higher is inside and succeeds on a Will Save (DC 15+1/2 Quasi-God's HD+Quasi-God's Cha Modifier) or a God of Divine Rank 11 or higher succeeds on a similar check What about people the god doesn't want in his realm? do they still get healed?

At will, as a Full round action the Quasi-God may create a doorway in or out of their domain which can be dismissed by them as a swift action. They may also 1/10HD each day transfer themselves into the Plane as an immediate action. Except for these methods the demiplane is completely planar locked, meaning there is no other way in or out of it, and no planar effects such as Astral Projection may pass through it.

Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 3rd level, the Quasi-God no longer takes penalties to their ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties they have already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and they still dies of old age when their time is up (unless they gain the Immortal class feature before then).

Hamper the Competition (Su): As an Immediate action 1/5HD each day the Quasi-God may channel their growing Divine power and affect the spells of Divine Casters. To use this ability they must be within 60ft of the spellcaster, or be the target of the spell that they're casting. If you make a successful Concentration check (DC 10+spell level+Caster's primary casting stat modifier) the you may either cancel out their spell, wasting the caster's spell slot or duplicate it's effect on themself as well as the intended target(s).

Divine Dealings (Su): At 5th level the Quasi-God is truly accepted into the circles of the Supreme Beings.

All Divine spellcasters that share their alignment are treated as Helpful.

Additionally 1/week they may call on a more experienced and powerful deity that shares their alignment for assistance. They can ask them 1 question/4HD as the Contact Other Plane spell, except theire is no risk of Stat damage & the answer is always true (assuming the Deity knows the answer What if the deity doesn't want to tell them?). They may also 1/day call on a Deity either for advice, to negotiate or simply to chat. This 1/day effect may not necessarily have a mechanical benefit, it is merely a way for the Quasi-God to grow as a Divine being.

They may also begin to exert their power on reality, 1/day utilising a Limited Wish effect. However this effect is powerful and until 17HD will Burn 2 points from a mental stat of the Quasi-God's choice. After 17 HD the Quasi-God no longer suffers Ability Burn when using this ability.

Finally, if the Quasi-God or an ally attempts to resurrect someone, their Divine network of contacts mean the Gods will allow the person to return at half the normal material component cost.

Immortal (Ex): At 5th level the Quasi-God truly surpasses mortality. They are now naturally immortal and cannot die from natural causes.

Quasi-God's now do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe and can. This ability extends the Quasi-God's Venerable or Great Wyrm Age Category by an infinite amount, meaning they still age mentally but due to their Timeless body class feature will not age physically.

In addition they gain a bonus equal to 1/2 their class level to one of:
    - Any Saves they gave a good progression at Level 1
    - A number of class skills equal to their skill points/level-2
    - To their damage rolls if they gave their BAB a medium progression and to attack rolls if they gave it a good progression.
    Comments in blue.

• - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

No love for the Hephaestus?

Hephaestus is a big, intimidating mofo. Besides, they're Gods, I'd say any of them have at least the Cha of a normal person.

Why?

Covers the basics, I was going to give Simple Weapons only, but figured that light armour and shields wasn't exactly game breaking.

Why would anyone do this when they can just take mind afire and get the same thing? (Unless I misunderstand that feat.)

With the Feat you don't gain retroactive spells. So if you were a Wizard 8/Q-G 5/Wizard +1 who didn't advance spellcasting and instead took Mind Afire they would have CL 14 & spells/day of 4/4/3/3/2/-/-/1/-/- rather than the 4/4/4/4/4/3/3/2/-/- a Q-G who advanced spellcasting, both gaining a single 8th level spell slot at Level 15.

The Feat is based on the Pseudo-spellcaster of classes like the Succubus, you don't gain the spells you missed on those monster levels that didn't advance spellcasting.

Can this cause them to move into a younger age category?

Good point. I'll add a clause saying yes, but regardless of age they never go below young adult.

I'd suggest making several abilities, each one having a at will power and a 1/2HD power. It seems odd that all deities would be able to do this.

What makes you think this is an odd ability to have?

Cure minor wounds is an orison

Ugh, if your DM is willing to let you sit there for hours on end (1/5 rounds, so 2 HP/minute) poking everyone back to full health then that's a problem with them not the spell. If it's really that much of an issue for people I'll add a clause barring CMW.

Why?

Along with the minimum Charisma, Gods are designed to be worshipped. Being able to give people a little poke in the right direction seemed like a good ability to me.

Torches only shed 40 ft of light, why does darkness go farther? What happens if two quasideities are within 20 ft of each other? As written the light would win, but shouldn't the stronger god be the one in control? Giving the ability to see through magical darkness might be a good idea.

It's supposed to read as them both going out to 60ft. I'll rearrange some stuff to accommodate these changes, the light vs. dark thing is a good point.

Some domains grant wish, you should probably have a "you still pay XP costs" clause in here.

As far as I'm aware no Domains grant Wish (except the Munchkin domain), just Miracle occasionally. Alright, I'll add that clause in.

This has the iron heart surge problem. Remember that dead is defined as a condition.

I said effect, not condition. Effect means something that's affecting you, being dead is a passive condition. But I've added a bit into a bracket.

What about people the god doesn't want in his realm? do they still get healed?

Alright, I'll add that in.

What if the deity doesn't want to tell them?

I assumed thay'd be using it on a Deity that will be friendly to them/sympathetic to their current aims. If the DM has decided that all the Gods are against the character so they can't get any info then that's their prerogative.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

• - Top - End - #114
    Firbolg in the Playground

Envy domain has Wish and Limited Wish, and the Spell domain has Limited Wish. Luck domain has Miracle.

• - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Envy domain has Wish and Limited Wish, and the Spell domain has Limited Wish. Luck domain has Miracle.
    OMGNOWAI!!

I was sure no domains gave wish, I knew about the other two (Glory & Zeal also give Miracle). OK, I'll put in an XP cost clause.

• - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Also: mind afire is a broken feat that is neither in circulation nor shall it ever be.
    ...Just sayin'.

• - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Also: mind afire is a broken feat that is neither in circulation nor shall it ever be.
    ...Just sayin'.
    Are you going to take that ability from all the monsters that have it then?

• - Top - End - #118
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

I must say the guasi-god seems to be quite insane power-level wise for casters, almost on planar sheperd level.

So spend five divinity points, and you have a fullcaster prc with very easy pre-requisites, that grants several powerfull (if not outright broken) bonus abilities.

Just aura of divinity, for example, for +1/4 HD Caster/manifester level makes this even more powerfull than Archmage, a quite powerfull prc on it's own right and with much harsher entry requirements. For psionic characters, extra manifester level is simply godly.

Charisma-based spellcasters are even more happy geting Cha and powerfull abilities based on Cha.

And what do noncasters get instead of spellcasting?
    A couple more Bab? A little better saves? Some more skill points? I really can't see how that's remotely balanced. Every spellcaster will want and be able to take quasi-god (what do you have to lose?), but noncasters will gain only a fraction of it's power. A little better base numbers simply pale in comparison to full five levels of spellcasting.

I humbly sugest to simply remove the option to fully advance spellcasting. At best it should just have that "pseudo-spellcasting" ability (that's how you call it, right?) like the lich and the half-celestial/half-infernal have.

What if the deity doesn't want to tell them?

I assumed thay'd be using it on a Deity that will be friendly to them/sympathetic to their current aims. If the DM has decided that all the Gods are against the character so they can't get any info then that's their prerogative.
    I'm really not very sure if abilities completely based on DM-fiat are a very good idea. Either the DM wanted you to know that info, and you could've got it trough easier means, or he doesn't want you to know that info and no god you contact will give you the answer.

Also your at-will scrying saves are kinda too high . 10+12/HD+Cha Mod won't give anyone a real chance of making it whitout a natural 20.
    Last edited by Megawizard; 2011-01-23 at 06:36 AM.

• - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Megawizard View Post
    I must say the guasi-god seems to be quite insane power-level wise for casters, almost on planar sheperd level.

So spend five divinity points, and you have a fullcaster prc with very easy pre-requisites, that grants several powerfull (if not outright broken) bonus abilities.

Just aura of divinity, for example, for +1/4 HD Caster/manifester level makes this even more powerfull than Archmage, a quite powerfull prc on it's own right and with much harsher entry requirements. For psionic characters, extra manifester level is simply godly.
    I've removed the Enhance Aura because you're right, that was too strong.

Charisma-based spellcasters are even more happy geting Cha and powerfull abilities based on Cha.
    Gods as written get some abilities based on Cha. Cha would be (in my mind) a measure of your ability to influence reality, that's why I used it as the basis for most abilities).

And what do noncasters get instead of spellcasting?
    A couple more Bab? A little better saves? Some more skill points? I really can't see how that's remotely balanced. Every spellcaster will want and be able to take quasi-god (what do you have to lose?), but noncasters will gain only a fraction of it's power. A little better base numbers simply pale in comparison to full five levels of spellcasting.

I humbly sugest to simply remove the option to fully advance spellcasting. At best it should just have that "pseudo-spellcasting" ability (that's how you call it, right?) like the lich and the half-celestial/half-infernal have.
    The Monstrous Feats I linked let Q-G's of other classes advance other class features through this class besides spell casting, so any class can advance at least their primary class feature(s).

I'm really not very sure if abilities completely based on DM-fiat are a very good idea. Either the DM wanted you to know that info, and you could've got it trough easier means, or he doesn't want you to know that info and no god you contact will give you the answer.
    How is that different to anyone using Contact Other Plane any other time?

Also your at-will scrying saves are kinda too high . 10+12/HD+Cha Mod won't give anyone a real chance of making it whitout a natural 20.
    That was supposed to be +1/2HD not +12/HD.

• - Top - End - #120
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

The Monstrous Feats I linked let Q-G's of other classes advance other class features through this class besides spell casting, so any class can advance at least their primary class feature(s).
    Except that for several caster classes, spellcasting isn't just a class feature, it's the class itself.

A barbarian doesn't have only rage. It has a d12 HD, full Bab, fast movement (or pounce/totem), uncanny dodge, and some other stuff.

A wizard has weak BAB, good Will save and 2 Skill points per level. And then spellcasting.

So a barbarian going into quasi-god gets a smaller HD and only improves rage, then needing to burn his remaining divinity points to replicate skill points, good Bab and Fort Save.

Meanwhile the wizard quasi-god keeps his spellcasting and good Will save, actually gets a better HD and new proficiencies. The only thing you lose from standard wizard is a bonus metamagic feat at worst!

Not to mention, spellcasting is the strongest class feature of all. It's easily worth much more than rage or sneak attack advancment. It's more than worth the 5 divinity points. It would be more than worth your full 7 divinity points.

Also, it seems like those feats seem to be on the "unfinished/uncritiqued" section of the third post. Maybe get them aproved by the council first before you start puting them on monster classes?

How is that different to anyone using Contact Other Plane any other time?
    It has a base failure chance and ability burn risk.
    Last edited by Megawizard; 2011-01-23 at 08:03 AM.

• Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast