New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I'd suggest making several abilities, each one having a at will power and a 1/2HD power. It seems odd that all deities would be able to do this.

What makes you think this is an odd ability to have?
    The ability to shoot lasers at things isn't very common among dieties, it's just one of many salient divine abilities and it isn't a particularly common godly trait in fiction(unless of course, it's in a world where everyone is doing that.) Healing is somewhat more common and well supported by clerics being the archetypical healers, but the heal-gun still strikes me as a bit odd.

Cure minor wounds is an orison

Ugh, if your DM is willing to let you sit there for hours on end (1/5 rounds, so 2 HP/minute) poking everyone back to full health then that's a problem with them not the spell. If it's really that much of an issue for people I'll add a clause barring CMW.
    As things are, the party will regain 2 hp/min while traveling and will be fully healed every time they sleep (outsiders can just stay up all night, afterall). No, it isn't game breaking and yes, you could probably leave it in there and be perfectly fine, but generally infinite healing is seen as a bad thing, no matter how slow it is.

What if the deity doesn't want to tell them?

I assumed thay'd be using it on a Deity that will be friendly to them/sympathetic to their current aims. If the DM has decided that all the Gods are against the character so they can't get any info then that's their prerogative.
    Maybe the god had some sort of personal involvement in the situation and doesn't want anyone to know. Maybe the god is trying to manipulate the PC to further their own goals. Maybe they're asking about the campaign's equivalent of the snarl. Maybe the PC was dumb enough to expect an honest answer from Cyric. Being the same alignment doesn't necessarily mean being close friends.

On a somewhat unrelated note: am I the only one who thinks this class needs an epic level expansion to grant a full divine rank?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    As things are, the party will regain 2 hp/min while traveling and will be fully healed every time they sleep (outsiders can just stay up all night, afterall). No, it isn't game breaking and yes, you could probably leave it in there and be perfectly fine, but generally infinite healing is seen as a bad thing, no matter how slow it is.
    From what I generally hear, Infinite healing is too easy to get to be an issue.
    Infinite IN COMBAT healing is an issue.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

With the normal complaints about time and internet connection being mostly outside I have a few more commentaries. Mostly do this stuff in offline mode, so apologies if stuff is outdated.

Lammasu
    Spoiler
    Show

~Gatekeeper is cool, sort of like sanctuary for a doorway, thought I almost feel that it should be 1/day for HD hours rather than HD/day for 1 hour. But that’s just me.
    ~Divine Connection ends with “unless they take level sin the actual cleric class later,” which makes me want to play or build a blackguard of this race.
    ~ Healing Hands is pretty cool, does it apply to Cure minor wounds? In a pathfinder, or homebrew model with access to infinite L.0 spells that may be a useful weapon against undead or healing allies… then again infinite 1 hp is a handy tool for healing allies, so I guess really there isn’t too much of a disbalance here, except that cure light wounds would more or less be replaced by minor wounds…. Eh. Not a big deal at fifth level, and makes up for the lost caster levels… so in short, it’s pretty cool.
    ~ Over all it’s a pretty solid class, I haven’t any major complaints.

Golden Protector
    Spoiler
    Show

I was under the assumption that a Golden Protector was just a Lammasu with the Half Golden Dragon template. But I see no reason to have the printed monster as a PrC to the lammasu.
    ~ Fire Subtype: You may specify that this offers fire immunity and cold vulnerability.
    ~Broken[/indent]code after claw and bite size increase.
    ~ How, if Lammasu 4 is a prerequisite for this class, can it not have access to flight?
    ~Resistance to Cold is very powerful, more powerful than the other choices because of its Fire subtype and vulnerability to that element. Just something to note.
    ~White light, perhaps “attack rolls, skill or ability checks, and saves” is a better way of wording d20 rolls. I’ve seen DM’s house rule d20 damage rolls, and other silly things involving a d20.
    ~Maneuverability is misspelled in Dragon’s wings.
    ~ Superior Protection: “It is also always on the lookout for damage and can no longer flanked.” I think you mean “can no longerbe flanked.” Also, this may serve better if it allowed a rogue of 7 levels high to flank the golden protector, unless you feel that absolutely no flanking ever works for this.
    ~ Supreme Protector looks pretty cool, I like both its Holy fire aspect and its dragon summoning power, but I don’t know about being able to smite on a full attack, charge, or pounce. (As that a pounce is both a charge and a full attack RAW I believe that would be a valid use of this ability, you may wish to specify if you do not wish pounce to be a viable use.)
    All in all, it looks more or less solid, again no major complaints.

Storm Giant
    Spoiler
    Show

~Tempestuous is pretty cool, I dig it.
    ~Assail seems a bit off, as that it allows for the additional damage of a ranged weapon to be governed by the weapon’s damage die, but the additional damage of a melee weapon to be governed by a specifically increased set number. With the exotic weapon proficiency for a greatbow, it’s ranged damage is quite terrifyingly high compared to even that of a fullblade.
    But I do like that its good at taking down hordes of mooks.
    ~ Zap is fun!
    ~ “The Storm Giant cannot add Surges to opponents who could not grant him experience.” I fail to understand the point of this line. Is this to prevent the level 20 Storm-giant from utterly tossing around goblin foes, or to prevent the level 5 storm giant from knocking the Tarrasque off its keester? It seems to me as if this is already protected by the Saving Throw mechanic.
    ~ Torrential Attack is good fun!
    ~ Thunderbolt is also fun.
    ~ Call the Thunder is cool, but its accessibility is quite high, even though it’s tricky to target, getting enemies to stand still isn’t too hard, and HDd8 damage every 1d4 (or less) rounds, is quite a bit.
    ~Thundercloud Throne is both flavorful and functional, though you might specify that only the Storm Giant who created the throne may treat it as solid, in case there is another storm giant involved, unless awesome throne fights are encouraged.
    ~Monsoon spirit: So… uh… it can never be grappled. I mean I know the ring exists, but this power is… uhm… very powerful.
    ~Unflinching is also an interesting ability, the recharge is for all smaller creatures, not each individually, yes?
    ~ Oh man, can Zap get any cooler than Thunderstroke?
    ~Thundersteps AoOs of doom ability seems very easily abusable.
    ~
    if the victim's result on the Fortitude Save against the blindness and deafness does not exceed (5 x Surges of Lightning spent + ½ Storm Giant's HD + Storm Giant's Str Mod), the victim is killed outright, instead. This is an extraordinary ability and a massive damage effect.
    that seems like a bit much. Especially with the x5 multiplier on the charges… that gets high, quick. Horribly quick.
    ~Breath of Squals, while using it as a swift action is cool, I think it’d be pretty cool if it could be used as a standard attack action, as in part of a full attack action. Just a thought.
    ~Answer to my question about Thunderstroke: Thunderstorm, or yes. However Thunderstorm’s -5 to DC should probably read ‘cumulative -5 penalty’ as that penalties don’t normally stack.
    ~ While “Rolling Thunder/Forked Lightning” is awesome, it makes some of the above abilities even more broken, however I think the problem lies in the exploitation of certain aspects of those abilities, and not in this one.
    ~Eye of the storm is a nice little cherry on the top, especially considering the synergy it offers the other class features.
    All in all it strikes me as stronger than the average monster-class, I hope there is a way to tame it back without losing the awesomeness factor. It is definitely a class I’d want my GMs to let me be able to play. Definitely has a royal “King of Giants” feel.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

4. - Top - End - #124

~Assail seems a bit off, as that it allows for the additional damage of a ranged weapon to be governed by the weapon’s damage die, but the additional damage of a melee weapon to be governed by a specifically increased set number. With the exotic weapon proficiency for a greatbow, it’s ranged damage is quite terrifyingly high compared to even that of a fullblade.
    Ok, that's fair.

~ “The Storm Giant cannot add Surges to opponents who could not grant him experience.” I fail to understand the point of this line. Is this to prevent the level 20 Storm-giant from utterly tossing around goblin foes, or to prevent the level 5 storm giant from knocking the Tarrasque off its keester? It seems to me as if this is already protected by the Saving Throw mechanic.
    It's a pre-emptive measure to prevent shenanigans like the storm giant from flinging bags of rats long distances, then blasting them for easy Thunder Steps.

~ Call the Thunder is cool, but its accessibility is quite high, even though it’s tricky to target, getting enemies to stand still isn’t too hard, and HDd8 damage every 1d4 (or less) rounds, is quite a bit.
    I could lower it to HDd6, sure.

~Thundercloud Throne is both flavorful and functional, though you might specify that only the Storm Giant who created the throne may treat it as solid, in case there is another storm giant involved, unless awesome throne fights are encouraged.
    Well, the entry does say "The Thundercloud Throne is such that only the Storm Giant treats it as solid" as opposed to "The Thundercloud Throne is such that only Storm Giants treat it as solid". This implies, though doesn't explicitly state, that it works for the Storm Giant that created it.

~Monsoon spirit: So… uh… it can never be grappled. I mean I know the ring exists, but this power is… uhm… very powerful.
    This is true, but it's a part of the core monster, and I doubt many foes will be going out of their way to grapple the storm giant anyways.

~Unflinching is also an interesting ability, the recharge is for all smaller creatures, not each individually, yes?
    I'll see about specifying. It blocks one attack from any creature, not all individual creatures.

~Thundersteps AoOs of doom ability seems very easily abusable.
    But remember, you need to set it up. I generally see most battles ending fairly early, with a save or lose or a save or suck deciding things. A battle that's prolonged enough to set up a Thunder Step Flurry may well be decided already. If it's not, it makes for a potentially epic finish.

~ that seems like a bit much. Especially with the x5 multiplier on the charges… that gets high, quick. Horribly quick.
    See response above this one. Also, I figure 2 lightning damage effects from the storm giant would equal the typical DC10 + 1/2 HD + Mod save. That, generally speaking, requires 2 rounds to set up and one to trigger. If you want a higher-than-base-DC, then you're facing ~4 rounds of actions to set it into motion. You can reduce this with Thunderstorm & iterative lightning attacks, but enemies can make saves to negate those iterative attacks, and in the end, your finishing blow may not connect.

And with a Storm Giant as a PC, the rest of the group may well have polished off whatever enemy you're fighting by the time you've set up and delivered your combo.

Rolling Thunder/Forked Lightning, yes, does give you a few extra surges, but by that point you're level 13, and you're on the brink of the point in the metagame where some monsters have enough HP that doing raw HP damage is becoming less feasible. Ultimately, the "I just turned you into carbonized ash" deathblow just keeps you in the game.

~Breath of Squalls, while using it as a swift action is cool, I think it’d be pretty cool if it could be used as a standard attack action, as in part of a full attack action. Just a thought.
    Hrm. Might be better suited for the Air Elemental, that.

~Answer to my question about Thunderstroke: Thunderstorm, or yes. However Thunderstorm’s -5 to DC should probably read ‘cumulative -5 penalty’ as that penalties don’t normally stack.
    Good call.

~ While “Rolling Thunder/Forked Lightning” is awesome, it makes some of the above abilities even more broken, however I think the problem lies in the exploitation of certain aspects of those abilities, and not in this one.
    Ok. So I'm open to more feedback on this point. As I see it, you're having to build up sufficient charges to get any real oomph out of, say, Lightning Palm. That requires time/actions, and time/actions are a resource that I see as balancing the strength of the ability.

Worst case scenario, you've got a storm giant using Flurry of Blows or a ToB maneuver to get a lot of attacks in. This scenario, to me, is more or less okay, as you're sacrificing a fair bit in the way of maneuvers (or... haha... monk progression) for a sufficient progression in Storm Giant abilities. You're also having to go a little MAD statwise. Topping it off, you've got low BAB, so your iterative attacks aren't all that, either.

The Storm Giant is a hybrid, and as classes like the Duskblade (or, for the initial, less successful incarnation, the Hexblade) demonstrate - and as GorgonDantess mentioned earlier - you can't be mediocre at two things. That makes for a mediocre class. In the end, I don't think he's mediocre, and I don't feel he's overpowered, but I've worked on him on & off for a while now, so I can't be subjective.

Thanks for the feedback. much appreciated.

Changelog, Jan 23rd:
    • Assail changed from "Melee does damage to adjacent equal to your slam damage (sans strength) and Ranged deals damage equal to the base weapon damage" to just using the slam.
    • Call the Thunder damage changed from 1d8/HD to 1d6/HD.
    • Unflinching wording clarified.
    • Stressed that the penalty for iterative thunderstrokes under Thunderstorm is cumulative.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-23 at 01:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lord_Gareth officially requests that someone redo the Erinyes and/or Succubus classes.

Thanks muchly!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #126

Im going to nag a bit and poke people to go have a loot at the Swarmshifter to see if i'm doing it right. Vivisector will be posted shortly, If I can.

Gecko's Question of The Day: Did anyone call dibs on the Dracolich? I swear someone said they were going to make it, but nothing's transpired. It seems like a fun Prc to do.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-01-23 at 03:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Ah, in the last thread, I do think whoever did the lich & demilich expressed interest in the dracolich. Dunno if I added it to the called list - it was a bit ago.

8. - Top - End - #128

Vivisector

Monster Manual V

Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Die: d8

{table=head] Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will |
    Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Vivisector Body, Vivisection, +1 Str
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Dissection, Scalpel Claws, Tough Shell, +1 Dex
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Choice Cuts, Hidden Shell, +1 Str
    4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Flight, Poison Claws, +1 Dex[/table]
    Skill Points: (4 + Int modifier) per level, x4 at first level
    Class Skills: The Vivisector’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Proficiencies: The Vivisector gains proficiency with its natural attacks.

Ability Increases: The Vivisector gains +1 Str and 1st and 3rd levels, and +1 Dex at 2nd and 4th levels, for a total of +2 Str and +2 Dex at 4th level.

Vivisector Body: At first level, the Vivisector loses all previous racial bonuses and traits, and gains Aberration traits (basically 60' Darkvision). The Vivisector is a Medium Sized Aberration with a base land speed of 30ft. A Vivisector does not need to eat, drink, sleep or breathe (but see Vivisection), but must rest for 8 hours to regain spells/power points/etc.
    The Vivisector has two Claws as primary natural attacks that deal slashing damage equal to 1d6 + Str modifier. These claws are not capable of fine manipulation, including the ability to wield weapons. At 3rd level, this increases to 1d8 damage + Str Mod each. A Vivisector can wear nearly all magic items and accessories normally, with the exception of gloves, gauntlets, or anything else worn on the hands. The Vivisector may ingest up to two rings, gaining the benefits of the rings as if they were worn. Ingesting or regurgitating one or both rings is a full-round action.
    Finally, Vivisectors have no hearing organs of any sort. They automatically fail all Listen checks, but are immune to any effect that requires the target to hear it. However, they can accurately sense and decipher the vibrations of their vocal cords, and so do not take any penalty for using verbal components. They can also talk as normal beings, and can lip read anyone they can see. Thus, if a Vivisector knows a language (Automatic/Bonus/Bought Languages) and can see the creature's face as the creature talks, they can converse with the creature. If the creature's face is not within their line of sight and visible to the Vivisector, the Vivisector cannot understand that person.
    A Vivisector's automatic language is Common. They gain bonus languages if they have a sufficiently high Int score, as normal (Any, bar non-secret languages).

Vivisection (Ex): At 1st level, as a full-round action, a Vivisector can hack into the chest of a helpless creature of Medium size or larger, attempting to harvest choice organs for its personal use, such as experiments, feeding, or just being cruel. Treat this as successfully damaging the target with a single claw attack that does double the normal damage, and also heals the Vivisector of the same amount of damage. Any creature immune to critical hits only takes the normal claw damage. Also, if the target is killed via Vivisection, its corpse is rendered unsuitable for spells such as Raise Dead that require an intact body.

The Vivisector needs its fill of organs, much like a normal creature needs its fill of food. Thus, the Vivisector must use its vivisection ability at least once every two weeks or suffer the effects of starvation. Treat using this ability as gaining it's fill of food with regards to ending the effect.

Dissection (Ex): At 2nd level, by examining their enemies' biological weaknesses, the Vivisector can see how to dismantle their fleshy forms with ease. If a Vivisector spends 1 round studying their target, and then attacks that target with their claws, the target is flat-footed against their attack. Studying a target is a swift action. While studying the victim, the Vivisector can perform other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the Vivisector or recognize the Vivisector as an enemy. Once the Vivisector has completed their round(s) of study, they must make the Dissection attack within the next 3 rounds.

At 4th level, the Vivisector may choose to extend their observation of their target to 2 rounds. If they do, and either of the Dissection claw attacks hits and deals damage, they strike their target in the vitals, dealing 2 points of Con damage and making them Flat-Footed for 1 round. At 8HD, this ability improves, dealing Con drain instead of damage.

At 8HD, the Vivisector may choose to extend their study of their target to 3 rounds. If they do, and either of the Dissection claw attacks hits and deals damage, the target must make a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Vivisector's HD + their Str modifier) or be paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to the Vivisector's Str modifier. (This effect does not stack with the previous one; the Vivisector may choose to deal Con damage/drain and make their target flat-footed, OR attempt to paralyze them, not both.)

At 15HD, if the Vivisector successfully paralyzes their target/deals Con Drain with this ability, the target must make another Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Vivisector's HD + their Str Mod) or die on the spot as they have a vital organ of some sort torn out in a messy way.

If the Vivisector would gain the Death Attack ability from another source (such as the Assassin prestige class), they may use the same action to study a target for Death Attack and Dissection, and apply both abilities' effects to the same attack.

Scalpel Claws (Ex): At 2nd level, a Vivisector’s deadly claws become incredibly sharp, allowing it to surgically dismantle foes. Its claw attacks threaten a critical hit on a roll of 19–20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Tough Shell (Ex): At 2nd level, the Vivisector gains a Natural Armor bonus to their Armor Class equal to its HD+2, and a Deflection Bonus to its Armor Class equal to its HD/4.

Choice Cuts (Su): At 3rd level, when a Vivisector successfully uses its Vivisection or Dissection ability on a creature and kills them with it, they may scoop up the organs extracted, eat them, and pick a bonus from the following list, as a free action. A Vivisector can also use Choice Cuts on a creature that died by other causes, but only if the creature has been dead for no longer than 1 minute. These bonuses last for a number of rounds equal to the Vivisector's HD, and the Vivisector may only have one such bonus at a time; if she would acquire a second, it replaces the first.

If the Vivisector wishes, they may internally pickle a number of organs equal to twice the Vivisector's Con modifier instead of eating them, preserving them for up to a number of days equal to their Con modifier. While preserved in this fashion, the organs are inactive and grant no bonuses. The Vivisector may activate a pickled organ as a swift action, at which time it grants its bonus (replacing any currently active bonus, as normal) for a number of rounds equal to the Vivisector's HD.

At 15HD, the Vivisector can have up to two bonuses active at one time. Activating a 3rd organ automatically replaces one of the previous two organs (Vivisector's choice).

The creature/corpse targeted by Choice Cuts can only grant bonuses corresponding to organs it actually possesses. See the list to determine what organs can be harvested from the creature the Vivisector is harvesting from.

Choice Cuts Organ & Bonus List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any corporeal, non-undead, non-construct, non-ooze, non-elemental creature:
    • Heart: They gain Fast Healing equal to 1 per four HD (minimum 1).
    • Liver: They gain immunity to all poisons.
    • Lungs: They are treated as having the Run and Endurance feats.
    • Spinal Cord: They gain mage hand as a Spell-Like Ability, useable once per round with a Caster Level equal to their HD.
    • Muscle: They gain a circumstance bonus to Str checks and Str-based skill checks equal to +1 per four HD (minimum +1).
    • Skin: They gain DR/piercing equal to half their HD.
    • Bone: They gain DR/bludgeoning equal to half their HD.
    • Blood: As a standard action, they can vomit up the blood at their enemies. Treat this as a ranged touch attack that targets everything in a 40ft line and deals acid damage equal to 1d6 per two HD on a successful hit.
    • Brains: They gain an insight bonus to Reflex saves, Int checks, and Int-based skill checks equal to 1 per four HD.
    • Feet: Their Land Speed increases by 20ft.
    • Appendix: They gain a Flaw, chosen by the DM (But no bonus feat).
    • Digestive Organs: The next bonus activated while this one is in effect lasts for twice as long as normal.
    • Eyes: They gain a circumstance bonus to Spot Checks equal to their HD.
    • Hands: They gain fine manipulation, allowing them to handle and use objects as a creature with hands would.
    • Teeth: They gain a secondary Bite natural attack, dealing 1d8 + Str modifier piercing, slashing, and Bludgeoning damage. This bite attack also benefits from the Poison Claws ability (if the Vivisector has it) as if it were a claw attack.
    Any Corporeal Undead:
    • Bone: They gain DR/bludgeoning equal to half their HD.
    Any Ooze:
    • Slime: They gain DR/slashing equal to half their HD.
    Any Construct:
    • Construct Essence: They gain Spell Resistance equal to 11 + their HD.

Hidden Shell (Sp): At 3rd level, a Vivisector may use invisibility 1/day per two HD as a Spell-Like Ability. At 8HD this improves to greater invisibility, though the Vivisector may still use invisibility instead if it wishes.

Flight (Ex): At 4th level, a Vivisector gains a Fly speed equal to their land speed, with Average maneuverability. The Vivisector also gains Hover as a bonus feat.

Poison Claws (Ex): At 4th level, any target struck by the Vivisector's claws is subject to the poison oozing out of them. The poison has a Fortitude save DC equal to 10 + 1/2 the Vivisector's HD + their Con modifier, and deals 1d4 Initial and Secondary Dex damage per four of the Vivisector's HD.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    SCYTHER! SCYTHER! The Vivisector is a nasty aberration that gets it's fill eating organs, and then using them to fuel it's killing power, so it can just kill creatures on and on and on. It's primarily an assassin, with a bit of scout in it once it can fly, and a little list of fun effects to use when it guts the latest kill. Enjoy!

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show
    19/02/11 - Swapped Prestidigitation for Mage Hand in the ability granted by eating Spinal Cord, and elaborated on some fuzzy rulings.
    20/02/11 - More wording issues fixed
    24/02/11 - More wording and typos, basically. Also allowed Choice Cuts to be used on corpses, and made the poison scale.
    26/02/11 - More skill points, so the Vivisector can be a better hunter. Invisibility moved to 3rd level, because that's when a Wizzy gets it and it gives the Vivisector more to do at that level. Also, lowered BaB and removed Dex bonus in return for adding the Dissection ability.
    28/02/11 - More grammatical/typing errors fixed, and the list has been neatened.
    7/03/11 - Fixed up the wording in a few places (But awaiting Psyborg's generous help), Vivisection has been simplified, Dissection is a swift action to study now, Capped the organs (Cap is intentionally high, mind you), Blood organ has been better defined, and the poison was toned down. Lastly, the ability increases have returned! Yay!
    3/8/11 - Proofread and corrected by Psyborg. In addition to minor typos, the following non-trivial alterations were made, in accordance with general project guidelines and the perceived intent of the creator:
    • Scythe Hands rolled into Vivisector Body.
    • Dissection was almost completely rewritten for clarity. It remains functionally unaltered.
    • Choice Cuts had several sentences re-ordered to read more smoothly. It remains functionally unaltered.
    • Vivisection, Scalpel Claws, Flight, and Poison Claws were tagged as (Ex). Dissection and Choice Cuts were tagged as (Su). Hidden Shell was tagged as (Sp).
    • Choice Cuts: Blood did not specify a damage type; it was marked with several large, bold question marks as I have no idea what the author's intent was for this.
    • Choice Cuts: Muscle, Choice Cuts: Eyes: Untyped bonuses were made circumstance bonuses.
    • Choice Cuts (many): All "1 per four HD" abilities were noted as "(minimum 1)", since you gain Choice Cuts at 3rd level and a couple of the bonuses already had it.
    • Hidden Shell, Flight, Poison Claws: All more or less heavily rewritten for clarity but functionally unaltered.
    • Four points that are the author's business, not mine, plus one suggestion:
      I: It concerns me that the Vivisector gains neither Natural Armor nor any armor proficiencies. Fixed.
      II:Vivisectors are utterly and completely deaf. How do they communicate with the party? Lip-read? Learn party members' body language like party members learn to read that of some of the non-speaking monster classes? Make the whole party learn Drow Silent sign language? Fixed
      III: Can Vivisectors even speak? Are they subject to the normal spell failure chance for spells with verbal components when unable to hear? I guess that can speak, and no penalty - Will make clear in the text.
      IV: Vivisector Body needs to specify automatic languages, " with additional languages for a high Int score as normal." Done.
      V: It might not hurt to allow Choice Cuts to have two bonuses active at a time at, say, 15-18 HD. You'd need to specify whether activating a third bonus ended the oldest one, or one of your choice. Why not.
    • <end Psyborg's stuff>

09/03/11 - Many, many thanks to Psyborg for his corrections. The Vivisector's speech/languages has been sorted out. As long as they can see the person they want to talk to, they can just lipread. I gave it proficiency with light armor because I can't see the harm, Dissection is (Ex) because ripping open someone's jugular with skill isn't really supernatural, and Choice Cuts can have two bonuses as 15th HD.
    16/03/11 - Removed proficiency and gave the Vivisector some bonus AC instead.
    23/03/11 - Claw damage scales, DR that can be granted by Choice Cuts has been boosted, and the poison does Dex Damage instead of Str Damage. Also, Dissection kills you outright at 15HD if you bork the save. Other than that, one or two little typing errors have been fixed.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-05-28 at 04:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Vivisector

Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Features

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Carapace Body, Vivisection

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Scalpel Claws, +1 DEX

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Choice Cuts, +1 DEX

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +0
    |Flight, Poison Claws, Hidden Shell[/table]

Skills Points at 1st Level: (2+Intelligence Modifier) x 4
    Skills Points at Each Level: (2xIntelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The Vivisector’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Disable Device (Int), Heal (Wis), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Proficiencies: The Vivisector gains proficiency with it's natural attacks.

Carapace Body: The Vivisector loses all previous racial bonuses and traits, and gains the Aberration type (Basically 60ft Darkvision). The Vivisector is a Medium Sized Aberration with a base land speed of 30ft. A Vivisector does not need to eat, drink, sleep or breath, but must rest for 8 hours to regain spells/pp/etc. The Vivisector has two Primary Claw attacks that deal 1d8 slashing damage each, but as the claws are pretty much the entire hand, a Vivisector has no fine manipulation. Also, a Vivisector can wear items as normal, but cannot wear gloves, gauntlets, or anything else worn on the hand slot. However, up to two rings can be ingested by the Vivisector, and the Vivisector gains the benefits of the rings. To ingest/regurgitate the rings requires a full-round action. Also, Vivisectors are utterly Deaf. This means they fail all Listen checks, but are immune to any effect that requires the target to hear it.

Vivisection: At 1st level, as a full-round action, rather than performing a coup de grace, a Vivisector can hack into the chest of a helpless creature of medium size or more, attempting to harvest choice organs for its personal use. Treat this as an automatic critical hit with a single claw attack that also heals the vivisector of the same amount of damage. At 4HD, if the target is killed via Vivisection, its corpse is rendered unsuitable for spells such as Raise Dead that require an intact body. Does this still provoke the fort save vs. death as normal? And if not can they still use a normal coup de grace if they want to?

Scalpel Claws: At 2nd level, a vivisector’s deadly claws are incredibly sharp, allowing it to surgically dismantle foes. It's claw attacks threaten a critical hit on a roll of 19–20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Score Boost: A Vivisector gains +1 DEX at 2nd and 3rd level.

Choice Cuts: At 3rd level, when a Vivisector successfully Vivisections vivisects a creature, they may pick a bonus from the following list. If the Vivisectioned vivisected creature has not got an organ(s) on the list, you cannot choose it. You may only pick Bones off this list when vivisectioning an Undead creature So, is this bones can only be be picked when vivisecting an undead or is it bones are the only thing that can be selected when vivisecting the undead? and if it's the latter, what about fleshy undead?, and Slime is specific to Oozes (And the only thing you can take from an Ooze). These bonuses last for a number of rounds equal to your HD, and you may only have one bonus at a time (A new bonus removes the old one).

Organ List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heart: You gain Fast Healing equal to the Vivisectioned vivisected creature's HD/4 (Minimum 1).
    Liver: They gain immunity to all poisons.
    Lungs: They are treated as having the Run and Endurance feats for the duration of the bonus.
    Spinal Cord: They gain Telekinisis as an SLA, useable once per round (CL=HD). This is a fifth level spell. third level is way too early.
    Muscle: They gain a bonus to all STR based rolls equal to the Vivisectioned vivisected creature's HD/4 Attack and damage rolls too?(Minimum 1).
    Bone: They gain DR 2/Bludgeoning The damage reduction ones are fairly irrelevant, they can be kind of useful at level 3 but lose power every level afterwards, consider making them scale.
    Slime: They gain DR 2/Slashing
    Skin: They gain DR 2/Piercing

Flight: At 4th level, a Vivisector gains a Flight Speed equal to their Land Speed, with Average Manuverability. I realize that this is probably based off of the monster, but that picture really looks like it should be able to hover.

Hidden Shell: A 4th level, a Vivisector gains Invisibility as an SLA useable 1/2HD times per day. At 8HD this becomes Greater Invisibility instead. Invisibility has a longer duration than greater invisibility, they should still be able to cast it if they want to.

Poison Claws: At 4th level, if a Vivisector successfully strikes an opponent with their claws, they must make a Reflex Save (DC 10+Con Mod+HD/2) or be affected by the poison oozing out of their claws (1d6 STR/1d6 STR). Poison uses fortitude saves.
    Swarmshifter looks pretty good, my only complaint is that they should take more than just 1d10 damage for having their swarm die.

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Vivisector

Class Skills: The Vivisector’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Disable Device (Int), Heal (Wis), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
    Autohypnosis? Iajitsu Focus? What?

Proficiencies: The Vivisector gains proficiency with it's natural attacks.
    Its. It's = It is or It has:
    The Vivisector gains proficiency with it is natural attacks.
    The Vivisector gains proficiency with it has natural attacks.
    No go.

Carapace Body: The Vivisector loses all previous racial bonuses and traits, and gains the Aberration type (Basically 60ft Darkvision). The Vivisector is a Medium Sized Aberration with a base land speed of 30ft. A Vivisector does not need to eat, drink, sleep or breath,
    Make the 'body' entry creature specific. Rename to Vivisector Body for less confusion when gestalting and whatnot. That last word should be breathe.

...but must rest for 8 hours to regain spells/pp/etc. The Vivisector has two Primary Claw attacks that deal 1d8 slashing damage each, but as the claws are pretty much the entire hand, a Vivisector has no fine manipulation.
    Underlined bit can stand to be reworded.

Also, Vivisectors are utterly Deaf. This means they fail all Listen checks, but are immune to any effect that requires the target to hear it.
    Be careful about capitalizing the word deaf. It's not only incorrect, but there's toes one could step on, politically.

Vivisection: At 1st level, as a full-round action, rather than performing a coup de grace, a Vivisector can hack into the chest of a helpless creature of medium size or more, attempting to harvest choice organs for its personal use. Treat this as an automatic critical hit with a single claw attack that also heals the vivisector of the same amount of damage. At 4HD, if the target is killed via Vivisection, its corpse is rendered unsuitable for spells such as Raise Dead that require an intact body.
    Try to capitalize Vivisector throughout, if you're capitalizing it at all. The 4HD benefit bugs me, but it's hard to say why. I think in part, because it's kind of a niche effect that doesn't really change anything enough to warrant being a later upgrade (in which case it would just be inherent to the ability from 1st level onward).

Also, what Saidoro said. Clarify.

Scalpel Claws: At 2nd level, a vivisector’s deadly claws are incredibly sharp, allowing it to surgically dismantle foes. It's claw attacks threaten a critical hit on a roll of 19–20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.
    Its.

Score Boost: A Vivisector gains +1 DEX at 2nd and 3rd level.
    Rename & reformat this bit to keep with the trends being used by other monster submissions. Also, don't capitalize the attribute scores (Dexterity or Dex, not DEX), as it's visually distracting and looks worse.

Choice Cuts: At 3rd level, when a Vivisector successfully Vivisections a creature,
    I'd reword to "when a Vivisector successfully uses its Vivisection ability on a creature," to keep things absolutely clear. (Else some players might argue a standard or special attack is a Vivisection).

they may pick a bonus from the following list. If the vivisectioned
    Again, capitalize consistently. Vivisectioned is capitalized in the quote above this one, but not here.

Organ List:
    [SPOILER]Heart: You gain Fast Healing equal to the Vivisectioned creature's HD/4 (Minimum 1).
    Liver: They gain immunity to all poisons.
    You shift from 'You' to 'They'. See underlined.

Spinal Cord: They gain Telekinisis as an SLA, useable once per round (CL=HD).
    Telekinesis is spelled wrong. Usable is spelled wrong. (CL=HD) should be written out in full. "The caster level is equal to..."

Muscle: They gain a bonus to all STR based rolls equal to the Vivisectioned creature's HD/4 (Minimum 1).
    Don't tie abilities to target's HD. HD scales exponentially at higher levels. At low levels, for example, CR is more or less = to HD, but the Cloud Giant, for example, has 11CR and 17 HD. Things continue along these lines. This leads to problems when you're level 20 and fighting enemies with 48 or more HD.

Bone: They gain DR 2/Bludgeoning
    Slime: They gain DR 2/Slashing
    Skin: They gain DR 2/Piercing
    These need to scale. The benefit sucks.

Flight: At 4th level, a Vivisector gains a Flight Speed equal to their Land Speed, with Average Manuverability.
    Spelling error: Maneuverability.

Hidden Shell: A 4th level, a Vivisector gains Invisibility as an SLA useable 1/2HD times per day. At 8HD this becomes Greater Invisibility instead.
    This is a heck of a lot of invisibility. Usable is spelled wrong.

Poison Claws: At 4th level, if a Vivisector successfully strikes an opponent with their claws, they must make a Reflex Save (DC 10+Con Mod+HD/2) or be affected by the poison oozing out of their claws (1d6 STR/1d6 STR).
    Write out the poison damage properly. Laziness is bad. Write out the DC using the standard layout (DC 10 + ½ Vivisector's HD + Vivisector's Con mod). Should be a fort save.

Makes me think of the Pokémon Scyther
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-23 at 09:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

"Vivisectioned" is incorrect. It should be "Vivisected."

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

12. - Top - End - #132

Oh, one thing that struck me as I read the monster entry, but that I forgot to add to the end...

The creature has a big flaw. Several of its primary abilities are based off of finishing enemies, but this runs contrary to what a PC is going to need. If enemies are dead, the encounter may well be finished, and the (less than fantastic) buff you collect isn't going to be worth the time spent. Unless encounters are back to back, the Vivisect and Choice Cuts abilities just don't really come into play.

Consider letting the Vivisector keep hold of a small number of organs, then activate them within a time frame of X hours.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-23 at 06:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Goblin

Calling Razor Boar.

14. - Top - End - #134

How is it that I've never seen that creature before?

It looks tricky. Very much a one schtick pony, but a 10 level class.

15. - Top - End - #135

Goblin

I have plans. Trample, bullrush, toughness, and some critical hit crazyness on the tusks to tide them over until they get trample as a capstone. It should be up sometime tomorrow.
    And it's a piggy, not a pony.

16. - Top - End - #136

Trample isn't a lot to build around, as it is kinda limited for a creature that's only large size at level 10. I'd even consider taking the general idea of trample and reworking it to suit the boar.

Just speaking for myself, I'd build it as a rough and tumble brawler with a critical attack schtick. Stuff along the lines of what the Manticore got, but even more specialized. Then extend into the 'boar' nature with stuff that builds on diehard. It's important to get away from the base abilities (scent, trample, fast healing) and throw in stuff that makes it interesting and unique to play, like the line "Razor boars have been known to recover from seemingly mortal wounds, track down their attackers, and exact revenge." What abilities can one come up with that build on the idea of revenge?

Maybe abilities like (getting carried away, and borrowing from non-D&D sources here, but...):
    Violent Goring - Starting at third level, your attacks deal bonus damage based on how low your health is. This bonus damage increases dramatically in the event of a critical hit.

Razor's Edge - Once per day per X HD, you can stop your health from dropping below 1 for a single round.

Obstinate Attacker - You may follow an opponent with a 5' step as they make a 5' step.

Unrelenting - Your HP must drop to a negative number exceeding your constitution score before you die. (ie. at 20 con, you die at -21 hp.)

Scarred Hide - Each time you are reduced to 0hp or below in mortal combat (not staged combat), you permanently gain 1 hp. This number cannot exceed double your HD. At X HD, the cap increases to ______.
    I mean, seriously, you can youtube "Wild boar attack" and see videos of wild boars taking on lions three times their size and winning. Those guys are tenacious little bastards.

17. - Top - End - #137

Right, I've fixed up the Vivisector, and it can pickle the guts it harvests for a few days now. And yes, the Vivisector is like an Eldritch, Organ Eating, Zombie Looking Scyther
    Also, i'm going to try to explain a few things so I don't look crazy (Ahahahaha....). The deafness was just...there. I don't know why, but the guys at WoTC wanted the Vivisector deaf. Yeah. The "All bony creatures give you bones, but all undead ONLY give you bones" because I didn't want to debate on the different types of undead and if the organs were intact or usable and whatever. As far as i'm concerned, whatever's animating the undead has corrupted all the leftover organs bar the bones. And finally........Do you think it's got too much Invisibility? I kinda like the thought of a Ninja Eldritch Scyther (Swordsage Vivisector )

NOTE: If you lose your black glasses in the near-dark, ASK SOMEONE ELSE TO FIND THEM. If you don't, you get stuck in the horrible loop of being unable to find them, so you can't see well, and you can't find them again, so you can't type worth a gecko, so your mild OCD goes on a bender....so.......blech.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-01-24 at 02:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

Goblin

Default Razor Boar

Razor Boar

Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: d10
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Class Features
    1st
    +0
    +2
    +0
    +0
    Razor Boar Body, Mighty Force, +1 Str, +1 Con
    2nd
    +1
    +3
    +0
    +0
    Trample, Scent, Surge of Force, +1 Str, +1 Con
    3rd
    +2
    +3
    +1
    +1
    Resilience, Hard to Kill, +1 Str, +1 Con
    4th
    +3
    +4
    +1
    +1
    Sharp Tusks, Barrel Through, +1 Str, +1 Con
    5th
    +3
    +4
    +1
    +1
    Growth, Wrench, +1 Str, +1 Con
    6th
    +4
    +5
    +2
    +2
    Unstoppable, Ignore Spells, +1 Str, +1 Con
    7th
    +5
    +5
    +2
    +2
    Tusk Rush, +1 Str, +1 Con
    8th
    +6
    +6
    +2
    +2
    Razor Tusks, Crazy Sharp, +1 Str, +1 Con
    9th
    +6
    +6
    +3
    +3
    Reflexive Gore, Greater Resilience, +1 Str, +1 Con
    10th
    +7
    +7
    +3
    +3
    Vorpal Tusks, Unstoppable Rampage, +1 Str, +1 Con
    Skills Points at First Level: (2+Intelligence Modifier) x 4
    Skills Points at Each Level: (2+Intelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The razor boar’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis) and Survival (Wis)

Proficiencies: The razor boar gains proficiency with its natural weapons.

Razor Boar Class Features: The following are the Class Features of the razor boar.
    Razor Boar Body: The razor boar loses all other racial traits and acquires magical beast traits, giving it darkvision 60 ft. Razor boars begin as medium creatures with a base land speed of 40 ft, a primary tusk slash attack that deals 1d6+1½*str modifier damage and 2 secondary hoof attacks that deal 1d3+½ str modifier damage. The tusk slash is treated as a two handed weapon for the purpose of bonus damage done by power attack and similar effects. Razor boars gain a natural armor bonus equal to their constitution modifier and a bonus to strength checks made as part of a bull rush equal to half their HD.

Razor boars lack the hands required for fine manipulation, and as such, cannot wield weapons or use doorknobs. Razor boars do not speak, but those who spend at least a week in the boar's company can learn to understand its body language and snorts and growls enough that the player can understand simple expressions such as 'danger', 'hate', 'gratitude' and so on.

Mighty Force: The razor boar is treated as being one size category larger for the purpose of determining who it can target with its bullrush, size modifiers on bullrush, disarm, grapple, overrun and trip checks, and for determining encumbrance.
    At 12 HD the boar is treated as an additional size category larger.

Trample: Upon reaching second level the boar gains the ability to trample for 1d8+1½ str damage the save DC for this ability is 10+½HD+str modifier. Mighty Force also modifies the size of creatures the boar is able to trample.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a full-round action, a creature with this special attack can move up to twice its speed and literally run over any opponents at least one size category smaller than itself. The creature merely has to move over the opponents in its path; any creature whose space is completely covered by the trampling creature’s space is subject to the trample attack. If a target’s space is larger than 5 feet, it is only considered trampled if the trampling creature moves over all the squares it occupies. If the trampling creature moves over only some of a target’s space, the target can make an attack of opportunity against the trampling creature at a -4 penalty. A trampling creature that accidentally ends its movement in an illegal space returns to the last legal position it occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer.

A trample attack deals bludgeoning damage (the creature’s slam damage + 1½ times its Str modifier). The creature’s descriptive text gives the exact amount.

Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but these take a -4 penalty. If they do not make attacks of opportunity, trampled opponents can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage.

The save DC against a creature’s trample attack is 10 + ½ creature’s HD + creature’s Str modifier (the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). A trampling creature can only deal trampling damage to each target once per round, no matter how many times its movement takes it over a target creature.

Scent: Starting at second level, razor boars may use Scent.(Detailed below.)
    To assist in this hunting down of enemies, the razor boar acquires the Track feat.
    A boar that scents a foe that has injured it in the last 24 hours gets +10' to its movement speed as long as it is pursuing that foe. It ignores terrain hindrances for the purposes of calculating overland movement while tracking that foe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This extraordinary ability lets a creature detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.

A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.

The creature detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the creature can pinpoint that source.

A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.

False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.

Surge of Force: Beginning at second level the razor boar can unleash a surge of strength once per day per HD or per point of strength modifier. As a swift action the boar can gain a +4 morale bonus to their strength score until the beginning of its next turn. At 5 HD and every 5 HD thereafter this bonus increases by +2.

Resilience: At third level the razor boar gains damage reduction/- equal to half its HD and fast healing equal to its HD.

Hard to Kill: Beginning at third level the boar can attempt to absorb his enemies blows once per day per hd. As a swift action the boar can grant itself a number of temporary hitpoints equal to its hd that last until the beginning ot its next turn. Unlike normal temporary hitpoints, these hitpoints will stack with temporary hitpoints from other sources and are used before other temporary hitpoints.

Sharp Tusks: At fourth level the razor boar's tusks sharpen, its critical threat range with its tusk slash is increased by 1. Additionally, whenever the boar threatens a critical hit its critical multiplier increases by 1 for each point the unmodified attack roll was higher than the minimum roll needed to threaten a critical hit. Finally, the boar's tusks are treated as adamantine for the purposes of penetrating damage reduction and hardness.
    At 11 HD the boar's critical threat range with its tusks increases by an additional 1 (before applying keen).

Barrel Through: Starting at fourth level the razor boar gains the ability to simply smash its way through any obstacles. The boar ignores difficult terrain and may choose to remove the difficult terrain trait from any squares they move through if the source of the difficult terrain could reasonably be removed or destroyed by the sudden application of brute force, such as heavy undergrowth or a series of low walls. Additionally, the boar is able to cut through anything between it and its targets. If using its tusks to attack a target with some form of cover relative to the boar it may chose to make a free attack against the source of the cover, if enough damage is dealt to destroy the source of cover the target does not gain its benefits against this attack. This can also be used to attack foes with total cover, but in this case if not enough damage is done to destroy the source of cover or reduce it to less than total cover the attack against the target has no effect.

Growth: At fifth level the razor boar grows to large size(long). Its reach, grapple modifiers, natural attack damage and skills change accordingly, but it doesn't gain any ability score bonuses or penalties. In addition to the normal changes the razor boar also gains +1 to its natural armor bonus and +10 ft to it base land speed.
    At 15 HD the boar grows to Huge size.

Wrench: From fifth level the razor boar has the ability to tear away the weapons of its foes. Once per day per 2 HD, after being struck and damaged by a piercing or slashing weapon, the boar can move in such a way as to tear that weapon from their opponent's hands. Against manufactured weapons this is treated as a disarm attempt for which the boar is considered to be wielding a two-handed weapon. Weapons so disarmed remain stuck in the boar's hide until removed. Removing a weapon requires a successful touch attack against the boar followed by a disarm check as above if the boar is unwilling or a successful DC 5 heal check if the boar is willing.

Against natural weapons of creatures of the boar's size or smaller this forces the foe to make a reflex save DC 10 + ½ HD + str modifier. Those who fail the reflex save are treated as flat-footed until the beginning of their next turn, those who fail by 3 or more are knocked prone and considered flat-footed until they are no longer prone, those who fail by 7 or more have their weapon trapped in the boar's hide. A creature with a stuck natural weapon is pulled into the boar's square and can take no action beyond attempting to free itself, a full round action in which it makes a strength check opposed by the boar's constitution check. If the trapped creature rolls higher it pulls itself free and can move to any space adjacent to the boar, if the boar is successful the trapped creature takes bludgeoning and piercing damage equal to the boar's HD from the movement of its hide and sharp hairs. The boar takes no penalties from having the trapped creature in their space.
    This ability has no effect on creatures larger than the razor boar.

Unstoppable: At sixth level the razor boar gains the ability to shrug off almost anything. Once per day per 5 HD the razor boar can supress all ongoing negative effects or conditions affecting it for a number of rounds equal to its HD or its constitution modifier, whichever is lower. Time spent suppressed does not count against an effect's duration. If a suppressed effect targets multiple characters this only suppresses its effects on the boar. This effect can even suppress death, though it must have been activated before the boar died to do so. Activating this ability is a purely mental free action.

Ignore Spells: At sixth level the boar gains spell resistance equal to 10+HD

Tusk Rush: Beginning at seventh level the razor boar can attack an opponent they can reach with their tusks as a standard action. If the attack hits the boar can attempt to bull rush that opponent as a free action with a +4 bonus to their strength check. Bull rushing in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender, but still provokes attacks of opportunity from movement as normal.

Razor Tusks: At eigth level the boar's tusks grow ever sharper, gaining the keen weapon property. If it has the improved critical feat for its tusks or if they gain the keen property from some other source increase their critical threat range by one instead of their normal effects. These bonuses do not stack and are not multiplied by the keen property.

Crazy Sharp: From eight level the boar can score critical hits against creatures that would normally be immune to them, although its critical multiplier is halved when it does so. The critical multiplier should be rounded up and halved after the bonus from sharp tusks is applied, not before.

Reflexive Gore: At ninth level the razor boar's reflexes quicken, allowing it to gore its foes as it tramples them. When a foe fails their reflex save or misses their attack of opportunity against the trampling boar they provoke an attack of opportunity from the boar. A foe who intentionally fails their save does not provoke this attack.

Greater Resilience: At 9th level the razor boar gains Energy resistance to all energy types equal to its damage reduction.

Vorpal Tusks: At tenth level the boar's tusks sharpen to an impossible degree, gaining the vorpal property.
    At 20 HD the vorpal ability activates on a natural 19 as well as a natural 20.

Unstoppable Rampage: At tenth level the boar's unstoppable ability improves. While Unstoppable is activated the boar gains a single extra swift action which can only be used to activate abilities from this class. In addition whenever the boar activates unstoppable they gain a pool of charges equal to half their Con modifier which can be used to activate Surge of Force, Hard to Kill, or Wrench without using a daily use. These charges dissipate when the unstoppable effect end. Finally, the boar gains a single extra use of unstoppable per day.

Spoiler
    Show
    Comments
    So, the razor boar, a big, incredibly tough brawler with pointy teeth.(and the ability to bullrush a tarrasque by 12 HD)
    Points of concern
    • Should I up the racial bonus to bull rush?
    • Is Sharp Tusks broken?
    • Is Unstoppable to much?
    • Crazy Sharp: y/n?

Spoiler
    Show
    Changelog
    January 30
    • Minor Formatting changes.

January 31
    • Changed Vorpal Body to Razor Boar Body
    • Modified Scent
    • Modified Sharp Tusks
    • Reworded Growth
    • Capped Unstoppable Duration
    • Reworded Reflexive Gore

February 10
    • Added Surge of Force, Hard to Kill, Wrench, Barrel Through, and Unstoppable Rampage
    • Made sharp tusks make tusks adamantine

February 18
    • Added speech and fine manipulation to rb body
    • Surge of Force now has HD+4 uses/day
    • Numerous small spelling/grammar changes

February 26
    • Modified wording on language.
    • Changed surge of force uses per day to HD or str.
    • Upped damage of tusks.
    • Changed .5s to ½s.
    • Added the word 'modifier' to a bunch of places.
    • Changed second 'Additionally' in sharp tusks to 'Finally.'
    • Removed cannot be healed back to life clause from unstoppable.
    • Slight rewording to Razor Tusks, Crazy Sharp and reflexive gore.

March 7
    • Rearranged Mighty force, surge of force, hard to kill, and Wrench
    • Reworded scent.
    • Added combat maneuver bonuses to Mighty Force.
    • Added action type to unstoppable

March 20
    • Separated Resilience into 3 abilities, resilience, Ignore Spells, and Greater Resilience.
    • Added mounting to Wrench

March 30
    • Capitalized a dc in wrench.
    • Wrench can only be used against natural weapons your own size or smaller.

Last edited by Saidoro; 2015-01-06 at 12:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Has anybody attempted the multiheaded template yet?

20. - Top - End - #140

Goblin

It's not on any of the lists, so probably not.

21. - Top - End - #141

Can I request epic level for the Tarrasque? Or a Tarrasque PrC?

Hehe yea. that powerful of a tarrasque.. Is being used.. In a game...
    =D
    Adopted Larger, but younger, little bro of Lady Moreta
    Awesome Avatar of Awesome Done by C-Lam
    Watch me play SKYRIM, give me quests, laugh at my deaths, and give me MOAR MODS! :P

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfLaughter View Post
    Can I request epic level for the Tarrasque? Or a Tarrasque PrC?

Hehe yea. that powerful of a tarrasque.. Is being used.. In a game...
    =D
    I hate to tell you this, but that's probably not going to be happening any time soon. There's not a lot of demand for that, and extra levels for a class hasn't happened as far as I can tell.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but that's probably not going to be happening any time soon. There's not a lot of demand for that, and extra levels for a class hasn't happened as far as I can tell.
    I didn't figure it would.. Any good PrCs for it?
    Adopted Larger, but younger, little bro of Lady Moreta
    Awesome Avatar of Awesome Done by C-Lam
    Watch me play SKYRIM, give me quests, laugh at my deaths, and give me MOAR MODS! :P

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfLaughter View Post
    I didn't figure it would.. Any good PrCs for it?
    Monster of Legend seems fitting.

Have it lose a leg in battle and take 1/2-Golem?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-01-27 at 01:34 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Telepathy out to 10' per HD is kind of crippling. That means not being able to talk to other people in the same room as you.
    Well, that's how the original class communicated. She was capable of telepathy but incapable of speech.

All skills should not be class skills. That gives you access to iajitsu focus, hypnotism, craft dreamweave item, and so on... skills with concrete in-game benefits that can really power you up. Also, it's the factotum's schtick that you're messing with.
    That was a suggestion by Gorgon. I personally agree with you there.

Needs more flavor text in ability descriptions, so we've got a better idea of what's going on and why. You mention a tempest lash, but I frankly don't have a clue what that is, especially because there's no source.
    Okay.

Home Plane:
    I don't like that you named it for the player. Let the players name their own dark library.
    WOTC named it actually. Otherwise, yeah, I'd have left the name blank. I'll probably do that anyway since the first name is impossible to spell, and the second seems about as subtle as a brick to the face.
    Being able to transport to the library is fine. Not having a way to transport back is... inconvenient.
    good point.
    This strikes me as an ability fitting for a much higher level than 4th.
    It was originally, but I think somebody suggested that it made more sense as a lower level ability. Not sure what my reasons were for putting it at 4th.

Infinite Knowledge:
    Seems like a kind of overpowered version of Knowledge Devotion. The problem with skill-based abilities is that they either don't work at all (truenaming) or they're too easy to pump, granting ridiculous bonuses.
    The 13th level bonus sucks. A bonus to AC granted around the time that AC really has started to decline in usefulness. I can't see smart players using it.
    The 16th level bonus is weird and ill-fitting. I can't think of a better way to say it. "DCS" is confusing (Save DCs would be better, but still awkward), and there's really no precedent for an ability like it. Replace it?[/]
    I think this was a suggestion by Gorgon based off of the Marrutact.

Combat Expertise:
    [The thing about combat expertise is that, as a feat that's a prerequisite for so many other feats, it's one you take early or you just don't take it at all. As such, it is out of place at 5th level.
    Okay. I just thought the first couple of levels were kind of front loaded already.

Damage Reduction:
    "The miss chance increases by 10% every time she takes another 2 levels in the class for a total of 40% at 14th level. " - wording is awkward in the underlined part there.
    So... I have 40% chance to dodge any attack at 14th level. I've also got the dodge bonus from combat expertise, so that's... 5%? 45% chance to avoid any attack. I'm also getting +5 to AC in addition to my existing bonus, so my AC is maybe going to prevent what? One in five attacks on its own? Seems a little much, numberwise. It strikes me that with some other abilities and/or concealment benefits, you're nigh untouchable (Say, warlock's entropic shield, as a start).[/]
    originally it was just a flat twenty percent. Should I just go back to that?

[quote]Knowledge Devotion:
    What would happen if I, as an Illurien with skills stacked to maximize knowledge, huge int, int bonuses from levels in the class, item familiars granting +20 or more to the knowledge skill of my choice, picked up the Knowledge Devotion feat in addition to the bonuses granted here? Stacking! Too easy/intuitive to abuse.[/] Thanks for pointing that out.

Rejuvenation:
    Kind of crippling if you don't necessarily get a choice in the matter. If I'm the BBEG trying to defeat the party, I'm going to kill the Illurien over and over, and run away after each time.
    Have any suggestion for how to implement it then? Somebody suggested the level drawback to balance out the unlimited amount of raise dead/resurrect or whatever it is.

I complained about the number of rolls with storm of knowledge, and I complained about the number of things that tempest lash got, goodie wise. I fear the experience tracking makes a full attack routine by the Illurien into a bit of a headache (You're rolling vs. ac, doing damage, recording damage to the monster on the sheet, rolling int damage, recording changes to the monster on the sheet, adjusting stats where needed, calculating hp gain, adding to your temporary hp pool, calculating XP damage, adding to your special XP pool... and you're doing all this potentially twice a round, several rounds in a row.
    The XP thing was a suggestion by Magicypop. After pointing a bunch of stuff out, I agree there's too much rolling. Any ideas on what to do to reduce the amount?

Improved SLAs:
    ]Too vague, a little rushed.
    I can add, what? Two spells, period? Or two spells for each level?
    The number of times it's usable per day is awkwardly worded.
    supposed to be per level to kind of represent the endless pursuit of knowledge. It was just an idea and I expect it's more powerful than I intended.

Okay, I'm addressing your various points here Hyudra. I've edited a few things out because I've already addressed them.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    They were also called Daevas back in 2e, and Daeva is approximately 10,000,000 times cooler than Angel.
    Agreed, though I'd toss a few more zeros in for good measure. I'd rather be a "not-quite-god" than a "messenger" any day.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Agreed, though I'd toss a few more zeros in for good measure. I'd rather be a "not-quite-god" than a "messenger" any day.
    I agree, but we should probably put "(Solar)" in or something, otherwise it's hard to find what you're looking for.

EDIT: Never remind disregard this.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-01-27 at 02:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Black Dragon

Class
    Spoiler
    Show
    HD: d8
    {TABLE]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Feature
    1| +0| +2|+0 |+2 |Black Dragon Body, Wings: Glide, Draconic Path I
    2| +1| +3|+0 |+3 |Acidic Breath, Keen Senses, Arcane Blood (Obscuring Mist)
    3| +2| +3|+1| +3|Blindsense, Breath Power
    4| +3| +4| +1|+4 |Physiology of the Skull Dragon
    5| +3| +4| +1| +4|Draconic Path II, Grand Claws
    6| +4| +5|+2 |+5 |Wings: Flight, Charm Person/Animal
    7| +5| +5| +2| +5|Breath Power
    8| +6/+1| +6| +2| +5|Hide of the Skull Dragon
    9| +6/+1| +6|+3 |+6|Draconic Path III
    10| +7/+2| +7|+3 |+7 |Growth, Grand Wings, Charm Monster
    11| +8/+3| +7| +3|+7 |Breath Power
    12| +9/+4| +8| +4|+8 |Plant Growth
    13| +9/+4| +8| +4| +8|Draconic Path IV
    14| +10/+5| +9| +4| +9|Tail Slap, Insect Plague
    15| +11/+6/+1| +9| +5| +9|Breath Power
    16| +12/+7/+2| +10| +5| +10|Growth, Crush
    17| +12/+7/+2| +10| +5|+10 |Draconic Path V
    18| +13/+8/+3| +11|+6 |+11 |Mass Charm Monster
    19| +14/+9/+4| +11| +6| +11|Breath Power
    20| +15/+10/+5| +12| +6| +12|Draconic Paragon[/TABLE]

Skills Points at first level: 4+Intelligence Modifier x 4
    Skills Points: 4+Intelligence Modifier
    Class Skills: The Black Dragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Climb (Str), Jump (Str), Spot (Wis), Listen (Wis), Bluff (Cha), Hide (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: All skills, taken separately (Int), Spellcraft (Int) and Swim (Str).

Proficiencies: The Black Dragon gains proficiency with whatever natural weapons it has, no armor, and no weapons

Black Dragon Body
    The black dragon loses all other racial bonuses gaining Dragon traits (including darkvision 60' and immunity to paralysis & sleep), with one bite as a primary natural attack dealing 1d8+1.5str, 40' base speed, swim speed equal to its base speed and is medium sized. Its claws are capable of fine manipulation and can be used for somatic components of spellcasting or anything else a human hand could do. Black Dragons have common and draconic as a starting languages, with additional languages for a high intelligence score as normal.

The black dragon also gains a natural armor bonus equal to its Con modifier. Whenever the black dragon grows one size category, its natural armor increases by a further 1.

The black dragon is immune to acid and is amphibious, capable of breathing in water indefinitely and using its breath weapon (when it gets one) underwater. It can cast spells underwater, if it has them, but is subject to all limitations governing how the spells work. Spells that do not function underwater still don't function underwater even if cast by a black dragon.

Wings
    Glide
    At level 1, a black dragon can use its wings to glide, negating damage from a fall from any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Black Dragonss glide at a speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. Even if a black dragon's maneuverability improves, it can't hover while gliding. A black dragon can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
    Flight
    At level 6, the dragon's wings become functional, and it gains the ability to fly at a speed of 10ft per round per HD (max 200ft), with Poor Maneuverability. However, its wings are neither large, nor controlled, nor powerful enough to properly attack with so it does not gain wing attacks.

Draconic Path
    Different dragons have different pursuits, and this applies to the black dragons as well. Just as some of their kind take up arcane studies from their lairs, other drakes rely on the bare minimum of magic their heritage gives them, while focusing the full of their draconic might to improve their physical prowess.
    A dragon must choose one of the paths below at first level (War Dragon or Dragon Mage). Once made, this choice may not be changed by any means.

War Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    A war dragon may not possess the full arcane might of dragons who truly focus on their arcane talents, but that is by far not the only innate talent black dragons have. War dragons are self-sufficient, cunning and terrifying creatures, achieving with physical might and a draconic body what the dragon mage achieves with spells.
    The War Dragon's hit dice per level of Black Dragon is raised do d12 (including the first level). In addition, at levels 1, 5, 9, 13 and 17, the gains a +1 bonus to initiative checks and may choose either a fighter bonus feat, with any feat that specifically enhances flying, any metabreath feat, and any feat from Dragon feats section of the Draconomicon added to the list, or skirmish damage, gaining +1d6 skirmish damage the first time they choose the skirmish option, and +2d6 every subsequent time they choose it. Prerequisites for the bonus feats must be met as normal.

The War Dragon gains +1 to STR at every odd level, a +1 to charisma at levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20 and a +1 to constitution at levels 2, 6, 10, 14 and 18. This totals to a +10 to strength, +5 to Charisma and +5 to Constitution at level 20.

Draconic Camouflage (Draconic Path I)
    A first level black dragon choosing to focus on its physical talents becomes a powerful hunter, capable of stalking prey much smaller than itself without fail, unimpeded by its increasing physical bulk as it grows. The black dragon does not take size penalties to hide checks, and gains a bonus to hide checks equal to 4 + 1/5 its HD.

Holy &%"# It's a dragon! (Draconic Path II)
    At level 5, a War Dragon's attack is both sudden and unexpected, unmatched in the sheer, raw might and explosive burst of violence. It is not subtle in the least once put in motion, but the sudden charge stuns opponents with panic, making them easy pickings for the dragon.
    Whenever the war dragon charges an opponent in the surprise round, all flat footed enemies within 30 feet+5ft/HD of the dragon must make a will save (DC=10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier) or be shaken, if they have more or equal HD compared to the dragon. If they have less HD than the dragon, they are instead Frightened if they fail the save, and shaken if they do not fail it. Any creature that fails the will save takes a penalty to its initiative check equal to 1/3 the dragon's HD, and takes extra damage equal to the dragon's HD from any attack it makes during the surprise round.

Hidden Dragon (Draconic Path III)
    At level 9, the dragon becomes especially adept at hiding, and gains the ability to hide even while being observed. As long as it is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a black dragon can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. It cannot, however, hide in its own shadow. In addition, the dragon gains the ability to make a full attack at the end of a charge.

Caustic Essence (Draconic Path IV)
    At level 13, the caustic nature of a black dragon begins to spread much further than just the breath weapon. All of the dragon natural weapons deal an extra 2d6 points of acid damage, and the save DC for the dragon's breath and any breath powers used in conjunction with it have their save DC:s increased by 2. In addition, a number of times per day equal to 1/3 its hit dice, the dragon may bring the full brunt of its mighty breath to bear through a singe natural weapon attack, dealing extra acid damage equal to the normal damage dealt by the breath weapon, without a reflex save to avoid the damage. This ability may be activated as a part of an attack action.

Terror of the Dark Depths (Draconic Path V)
    At level 17, the black dragon masters the art of instigating a rout with a mere roar and a threatening glance. The primal fear of the great scaled monster is so overwhelming it even causes pause in those normally fearless. Any fear effect generated by a dragon affects even creatures immune to fear. In addition, when it uses its Holy &%"# It's a dragon! ability, creatures that would normally be frightened may instead be bestowed the cowering condition, at the dragon's option. Finally, the dragon is immune to fear, even fear effects caused by a level 17 war dragon.

Dragon Mage
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dragon mage is the master of sorcery, drawing on his natural talents at magic, his very blood, to call forth miraculous magic with but a thought.
    The dragon mage spontaneously casts arcane spells with the spells known and spell slot progression of a bard, gaining access to spells from either the druid or the sorcerer spell list. The choice of spell lists must be made at first level, and cannot be changed afterwards by any means. Essentially, the dragon casts as a bard with a different spell list.
    The dragon's caster level is equal to his hit dice. In addition, at levels 5, 9, 13 and 17, the dragon mage can add a spell to his spells known list from the spell list he did not choose at first level. This would mean that a dragon that casts druid spells would gain a sorcerer spell to his spell list at those levels. If the black dragon chooses druid casting, it may add the spells from any one of the following domains to its list at levels 1 and 9. The domain choices available are Water, Trickery and Plant. If the Draconomicon is available, the Domination domain is added to the list. Finally, it gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat.

If it multiclasses as a bard its spellcasting increases as a bard
    If it multiclasses as a sorcerer it counts as already having sorceror casting depending on its dragon level, as shown on the following table (if druid list was chosen then it keeps learning spells from the druid list instead of sorcerer/wizard list).

{table]Dragon level | Virtual sorcerer casting
    1|-
    2|1
    3|2
    4|3
    5|4
    6|5
    7|6
    8|6
    9|7
    10|8
    11|8
    12|9
    13|10
    14|10
    15|11
    16|12
    17|12
    18|13
    19|13
    20|13[/table]

So for example a dragon 2 who takes a level of sorcerer would count as already having 1 level of sorcerer and gains the spell slots and spells known that a sorcerer gains when leveling from level 1 to 2, but not the spell slots and spell knowns from the 1st level of sorceror. He would get the familiar ability, but dragon levels wouldn't count for it.

A dragon 18 who takes a level of sorceror would count as having 14 levels of sorcerer (13+1) and gain the spell slots and spells known that a sorcerer gains when leveling from level 13 to 14, but not the spell slots and spells known that a sorcerer gets from level 1 to 13. He would get the familiar ability, but dragon levels wouldn't count for it.

The Dragon Mage gains +1 to STR at levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20, a +1 to charisma at levels 1, 5, 9, 13 and 17, a +1 to intelligence at levels 2, 6, 10, 14 and and 18 and a +1 to constitution at levels 3, 7, 11, 15 and 19. This totals to a +5 to strength, Charisma, Intelligence and +5 to Constitution at level 20.

Draconic Theory (Draconic Path I)
    While the black dragon gains magical powers just from its magnificent bloodline, handling arcane forces has a way of sharpening the focus of a creature already disposed to hoard knowledge.
    At first level, the Black Dragon is capable of utilizing its refined knowledge to better understand magic and its enemies. The dragon may take ten on spellcraft checks in any situation. In addition, times per day equal to 1/4 the Dragons HD+Int modifier (minimum 1), the dragon may mimic the effects of Detect Magic, with the following differences: The dragon does not need to concentrate, and gains the information in the amount of rounds that would normally be needed for concentrating. In addition, the Dragon's ability is not limited to a cone, but instead discerns all effects within 30ft of the dragon.

Breath Channeling (Draconic Path II)
    At fifth level, Times per day equal to half his hit dice, the black dragon may warp the magics comprising their spells through its fundamentatum, making them an integral part of his breath weapon.
    The breath weapon is used and the spell is cast in the same action, with the action used being the one taking the most "time". For example, if the black dragon channeled a spell that would normally take a swift action to cast, it would instead be cast in the same standard action that the breath weapon was used in. The casting provokes attacks of opportunity as normal, and apart from being cast in the same action as the breath weapon, the spell is cast normally.
    If the spell cast would normally only affect a single target, the target is chosen from those in the breath weapon's area of effect, even in the case of a touch spell. However, if the spell itself has an area of effect such as cone, line or burst, the area of effect is instead altered to match the breath weapon's area of effect. In cases where it matters, the damage of the breath weapon is resolved before the effects of the spell take place.
    Using this ability extends the recharge time of the dragon's breath weapon by a round, and cannot be combined with breath powers other than Breath Control.

Awesome Magic (Draconic Path III)
    At level 9, a Black Dragon working its magic is a terrifying sight to behold, especially when the spell in question is directed at you. Any spell with verbal components audible at the time of casting can be used to trigger Awesome Magic, which causes any creature within 30ft+5ft pr hd of the dragon to become shaken unless they succeed on a will save (DC=10+1/2 HD+ Cha modifier), unless they have less than half the dragon's HD, in which case they are frightened on a failed save, and shaken on a successful one. Awesome Magic can be used 1/4HD+cha modifier times per day.

Grand Dracomancy (Draconic Path IV)
    At level 13, the dragon's mastery of magic reaches new heights. So complete is its control over the arcane forces drawn from its blood that it can cast any spell it knows as a still spell without needing a higher level slot to cast it. A dragon doesn't do fancy handsigns to cast a spell. It just does. In addition, times per day equal to 1/4 HD +Int modifier, the dragon can gain a bonus to a single spellcraft check equal to its HD.

Scale Thaumaturgy (Draconic Path V)
    At level 17, the black dragon learns to shape arcane energies into scales. Each day, it may spend 10 minutes per scale to store a single spell from the spell list it normally casts from. The spell does not need to be on its spells known list. The dragon may do this 3 times per day, and can craft a scale with a spellcraft check with a DC of 20+spell level. The dragon can only have one scale-inscribed spell of a spell level of 5 or higher, and once cast, the scale dissipates, and the spell cannot be cast again until another scale with the same spell is inscribed. Casting a spell from a scale takes a spell slot as normal.

Acidic Breath
    At level 2, as a standard action no more than once every 1d4 rounds, the Black dragon may breathe out a line of acid out to 60', plus 10' per class level. It deals 1d6 damage/HD, with a reflex save (10+1/2 HD+Con Mod) for half.

Arcane Blood
    At second level, a full-blooded black dragon has magic in its very blood, and no specimen is exempt from this. Even dragons focusing on their physical prowess gain some magical ability. The save DC:s are equal to 10+1/2 Dragon's HD+charisma modifier.
    Firstly, at level 2, the dragon may bring the misty marshes of its home with it, gaining the ability to cast Obscuring Mist once per day+ another time per day every 3 hd after the second HD it gains.
    At sixth level, the dragon's guile and subtle powers of deceiving the mind appear, granting it the power to cast charm person or charm animal as a spell like ability one per day per three hit dice. At tenth level, they can cast Charm Monster as well from the same pool of uses, and at eighteenth level, they may cast Mass Charm Monster from the same pool of uses.
    At twelfth level, the dragon may also cast Plant growth once per day per 5 hit dice.
    At fourteenth level, the dragon may cast Insect Plague once per day per 5 hit dice.

Keen senses
    At 2nd level, the black dragon sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision out to 120 feet, and can see normally even in magical darkness.

Blindsense
    At level 3, the black dragon gains blindsense out to 60ft+5ft per level.

Breath Power
    At third level, and every four levels thereafter, the black dragon gains additional powers with its breath weapon. The dragon may choose a single power from the list below, provided it meets the prerequisites for it. Using a Breath Power adds an amount of rounds to the recharge time of the Acidic Breath of the black dragon, as indicated in the description. Only one Breath Power may be utilized at a time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soul-Burning Acid
    When the Soul-Burning Acid power is added to the breath weapon of the black dragon, half the Acid Damage the breath weapon would normally deal is instead turned into Untyped damage, the acid searing through the very being of the creature, instead of just hide. Using this ability adds one round to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Acidic Fumes
    The Dragon's acidic breath fumes light mists that sicken and weaken those exposed to it. Any creature caught within the area of the dragon's acidic breath must make a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2 HD+Con modifier) or be sickened for 1d4 rounds. Using this ability adds one round to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Breath Control
    The dragon gains further control over its breath weapon. Instead of a line of acid, it may instead utilize a 30ft cone of acid+5feet per class level. Using this ability adds no time to recharge period of the breath weapon, and may be used in conjunction with other Breath Powers.

Forceful Stream
    Prerequisite: Level 7 black dragon
    The Dragon's acidic breath is emitted with unusual force. Any creature of equal or smaller size compared to the black dragon that fails the reflex save against the dragon's breath is knocked prone. Using this ability adds two rounds to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Poisonous Breath
    Prerequisite: Level 7 black dragon
    Far more than simply horrid to the nose, the dragon's breath can be intermingled with a vile poison. A creature caught within the are of the breath weapon must make a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2 HD+Con Modifier) or be poisoned (inhaled poison) and take 1d6 points of strength damage. The secondary damage is also 1d6 strength damage. Using this ability adds two rounds to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Horrid Breath
    Prerequisite: Level 11 black dragon
    The dragon's breath stuns targets with nausea. A creature caught within the are of the breath weapon must make a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2 HD+Con Modifier) or be nauseated for 1 round.Using this ability adds two rounds to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Enlarged Breath
    Prerequisite: Level 11 black dragon
    The Dragon's breath is exhaled into a larger area, encompassing a massive area. This ability doubles the breath weapon's range, so a 40 ft cone becomes a 80 ft cone and so on. This ability adds Using this ability adds one round to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Stunning Breath
    Prerequisite: Level 15 black dragon
    The dragon's breath knocks the wind out of enemies, leaving them disoriented. A creature caught within the area of the breath weapon must make a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2 HD+Con Modifier) or be stunned for 1d4 round, with another fortitude save to end the effect each round. Using this ability adds three rounds to the recharge time of the breath weapon. If the creature is immune to being stunned, it is instead dazed.

Cursed Exhalation
    Prerequisite: Level 15 black dragon
    The dragon learns to bring the marshes to its enemies, pinning them down with the draining essence of the swamps. A creature caught within the are of the breath weapon must make a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2 HD+Con Modifier) Or be exhausted. In addition, those that fail the save are also slowed for 1d4 rounds. Using this ability adds three rounds to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Breath of Ruination
    Prerequisite: Level 19 black dragon
    The dragon unleashes its most potent breath, dissolving enemies to nothingness in mere moments, and leaving acidic fumes, droplets floating in the air and pools of acid in its wake, creating a zone of utter destruction. The Dragon's breath deals damage as if the Empower Breath feat was used on it and any creatures killed by the breath weapon are utterly disintegrated, as if killed by the spell, though in this case, not even dust remains. In addition, the area encompassed by the breath weapon continues to deal damage equal to 1d6/4 HD for 5 rounds after the initial attack, with a reflex save for half. Using this ability adds four rounds to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Exhaled Aura
    Prerequisite: Level 19 black dragon
    The dragon shapes its breath weapon into a cloak around itself. Instead of damaging creatures in its normal area, any creature adjacent to the dragon takes the normal damage for the breath weapon, with a reflex save to halve the damage. This ability lasts for 3 rounds. Using this ability adds four rounds to the recharge time of the breath weapon.

Physiology of the Skull Dragon
    At fourth level, the black dragon becomes immune to diseases and poisons of any sort.

Grand Claws
    At level 5, the dragon gains two secondary claw attacks dealing damage equal to 1d4+1/2 the dragon's strength modifier.

Hide of the Skull Dragon
    At ninth level, the Black Dragon's hide toughens to turn away both sword and spell. It gains Spell Resistance equal to 11+HD and DR/- (Damage Reduction) equal to 1/2 HD.

Growth
    At 10th level the Black dragon grows to large size.
    At 16th level the Black dragon grows to huge size.

Its AC, bonus to hit, base damage, grapple and skills change accordingly, but it doesn't get any ability score bonuses or penalties.

Grand Wings
    At level 10, the dragon gains two secondary wing attacks dealing damage equal to 1d6+1/2 the dragon's strength modifier.

Tail slap
    At level 14, the black dragon can make a tail slap attack dealing 1d8+1/2 str damage (already taking the dragon's size into account). This is a natural secondary attack.

Crush
    At 16th level this dragon can make a crush attack dealing 2d8 damage, taking the dragon's huge size into account.
    Spoiler
    Show

This special attack allows a flying or jumping dragon of at least Huge size to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against opponents two or more size categories smaller than the dragon (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents).

A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the dragon’s body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC equal to that of the dragon’s breath weapon) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the dragon moves off them. If the dragon chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

A crush attack deals the indicated damage plus 1½ times the dragon’s Strength bonus (round down).

Draconic Paragon
    at level 20, the Dragon becomes the pinnacle of its kind. The recharge time of its breath weapon is decreased by 1 round in all cases, to a minimum of 1 round. The maneuverability of its flight increases by one step. In addition, it gains other benefits depending on which draconic path it chose.
    War Dragon
    The dragon can force two will saves against any fear effect it makes. If the target fails one of the saves, the target is treated as having failed the save. In addition, its Caustic Essence ability now grants +4d6 acid damage to all natural attacks.
    Dragon Mage
    The Dragon Mage can use its Scale Thaumaturgy to cast spells otherwise out of its reach (since it has the spell progression of a bard). It can inscribe a seventh level spell on a scale, and can cast level 7 spells gained via Scale Thaumaturgy three times per day. In addition, the spells gained by scale thaumaturgy no longer fade when they are being cast, but can be cast up to 3 times before fading. Finally, the dragon no longer has a limitation on how many scales it can have of spell slots higher than 4, though it can still only craft three spellscales per day.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

So. Finally done. As far as I can see, the War Dragon is about on par with ToB, though perhaps somewhat more straightforward. I tried to encourage tactics, especially with the "Holy &%"# It's a dragon!" (needs another name) ability. The War Dragon is intended to be scary and sneaky, and the two aspects complement each other. In addition, it should be rather good in combat. I wanted to drop pounce in, but I didn't want to overload the lower levels, so it comes kinda late. Maybe I should put it in with Caustic Essence? I'm also a bit worried about the dippability of that option.

As for the Dragon Mage, I hope the domain thing and the extra spells from the other list help the druid casting stay up to par. The other abilities mostly signify that dragons are ancient creatures, and very knowledgeable. Magic is in their blood, and thus, Draconic Theory. Scale Thaumaturgy was something that popped into my mind when I was trying to think of a level 17 ability for the Dragon Mage, and I think it is pretty good, if perhaps slightly awkwardly worded. Not sure how to clarify it though.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    March 26 - Tidied up descriptions, fixed typos. Clarified stuff. Added gliding at first level, and dropped the darkstalker feat from the Draconic Camouflage ability. Switched around Hidden Dragon and Caustic Essence, while boosting the latter. Granted natural attacks at lower levels.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-04-16 at 06:22 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

29. - Top - End - #149

I would like to request the Lodestone Marauder (MMIV).
    How does it work?
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

30. - Top - End - #150

Well. At least your Black Dragon looks cooler, I guess. Mine was a bit haphazard so if you wanna do it, that's cool. My only gripe is that the higher level stuff (Diseased Breath, Toxic Breath, Impure Breath) are a bit useless against a Warforged, or any of the many ways of being immune to being sickened/nauseated. Might wanna give them a secondary effect that's a bit harder to get around.