New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

I'd love to see you redo Erinyes if you could, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I'd love to see you redo Erinyes if you could, my friend.
    They'll do it if you "volunteer" for council duty.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    All my respect to Oslecamo, as far as getting the project off the ground and popularizing it, but he didn't have the best head for balance. Beyond that, even those creatures that are technically balanced, wouldn't necessarily pass muster today. Minotaur and Troll are two creatures with some potential to be interesting, but are just a mess of passive bonuses with little to make for interesting gameplay. There's also a few (Dragon, Tarrasque) which are potential nightmares as far as the power level they bring to the game. I've discussed the point to death with Gorgondantess (as far as dragons are concerned, anyways), but I still have to say I wouldn't allow any of the Monster Class Dragons into my games.
    I still personally think that the dragon isn't that bad. It's more powerful than a warblade or crusader, but barely, and just as hard to go "ridiculous optimization LOL" with.

On the other side of the spectrum, I wouldn't mind a chance to tackle a few of the monsters Oslecamo did already, from scratch, just to bring them up to par with monsters today in terms of options & power level. The aforementioned Minotaur and Troll included.
    I think that would be a good idea. I'm already working on 2 of the monsters he did that are just flat out messes (Wild Hunt & Ethergaunt).

Though I'm hesitant to contribute more monsters, because with Gorgondantess so busy as to be unable to critique, and MagicYop AWOL, the council thing has more or less fallen through. I feel like the Manticore and Basilisk are nearly done & need a final lookthrough by experienced contributors before addition to the list, but there's nobody to give that final say.
    I've been busy, yeah, but I will say that the Pseudonatural Creature is 85% finished, and just needs a few more invocations, statting out of the, ah, "familiar", and a little tweaking. Once I'm done with that, I'll be able to contribute much more.

I've currently got loose frameworks done for Chimera, a non-monster class that's turning out to be a huge project (not related to this project), and one monster class that I'm keeping under wraps until it's towards the end-stages (It's a 20 level class, bleh).
    Neato.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, I feel the need for a reminder that the Gargoyle is not technically finished yet, but is close (I think). If I can get a more recent review I'll try to get it list-worthy. In the mean time, I'm taking up the Lodestone Marauder (MM4). It was one of a few things I wanted to do, so now it's been requested I may as well.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I gave the Skeroloth Hold Person and Hold Monster as it gains levels.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    We are going by 3.5 here. Please don't be looking at 3.0. Ever. If there's any confusion, try here.
    So, should I change it to a three level class now, or just keep it as is?

No wisdom. Period. Unless you want to give it wisdom based abilities, which is cool. It does have highish constitution on the actual monster, as well as strength. One of the two. Or just up the actual class features and leave it at dexterity. I don't know much on the fluff, so I just said constitution, as it is a very mechanically appropriate choice, and it wouldn't be going out of fluff entirely.
    How about something like blindsense out 5'+5' per point of Wis. mod? Or maybe the saving throw for poison is based off of Wis? That way the Blindsense, Poison, and Vermin Empathy are all based off of Wis. Plus it can multiclass into monk, which uses Dex and Wis as it's main scores.
    Also, I just figured out that the poison the 3.0 Ettercap has is different from the poison that the 3.5 Ettercap. Now I'm thinking that a bonus damage progression would be better than a die size progression.

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Scio View Post
    So, should I change it to a three level class now, or just keep it as is?
    Build it as a 3 level class, as that's the standard way of doing things around here.

How about something like blindsense out 5'+5' per point of Wis. mod? Or maybe the saving throw for poison is based off of Wis? That way the Blindsense, Poison, and Vermin Empathy are all based off of Wis. Plus it can multiclass into monk, which uses Dex and Wis as it's main scores.
    Also, I just figured out that the poison the 3.0 Ettercap has is different from the poison that the 3.5 Ettercap. Now I'm thinking that a bonus damage progression would be better than a die size progression.
    The blindsense thing feels forced.
    The poison goes against common sense.

Overall, there's really no need for the wisdom bonus or stuff being based off of wisdom.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Build it as a 3 level class, as that's the standard way of doing things around here.

The blindsense thing feels forced.
    The poison goes against common sense.

Overall, there's really no need for the wisdom bonus or stuff being based off of wisdom.
    Aye. There's no reason not to use constitution, really.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Anyone willing to have a look at my Black Dragon? I'd like to get to doing the bigger Yugoloths again, but if there's a lot of fixing to be done with the dragon, it might not work so well.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

10. - Top - End - #190

Troll

Monster Class
    Monster Manual, SRD

Class
    Spoiler
    Show
    HD: D10
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will |Special
    1st|+0|+2|+2|+0| Troll Body, Furor, Mend Flesh, +1 Str, +1 Con
    2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0| Scent, Gnaw, +1 Str, +1 Con
    3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1| Thrash, Rend, Regeneration, +1 Str, +1 Con
    4th|+3|+4|+4|+1| Excision, Tumescent Recovery, +1 Str, +1 Con
    5th|+3|+4|+4|+2| Growth, Violent Onslaught, +1 Str, +1 Con
    [/table]
    Skill Points 2+Int per level
    Class Skills: Climb, Jump, Swim, Knowledge (Nature, Dungeon) Intimidate, Tumble.

Proficiencies: The Troll is proficient only with its own natural attacks.

Troll Body: The Troll loses all other racial bonuses and gains Giant traits, granting it low light vision. Trolls are initially medium sized creatures with a base movement speed of 30', possessing two claw attacks that deliver 1d4 + Str mod damage each and natural armor equal to their con modifier.

Trolls speak either Common or Giant as their starting language and gain additional languages for a high intelligence score as normal.

Attribute Bonus: The Troll gains +1 to Strength and Constitution with each level in the class, for a total bonus of +5 Str and +5 Con at 5th level.

Furor: Starting at first level, the Troll may throw itself at a foe with reckless abandon, claws or weapon flailing, heedless of the blows he himself suffers. The Troll may, as part of a full attack, declare he is using Furor and deliver an additional blow using its highest attack bonus, with a -2 penalty. A Troll delivering a claw attack in this manner suffers only a -1 penalty to hit. Using Furor provokes an attack of opportunity from the victim, but only a maximum of one such attack of opportunity a round. A successful attack of opportunity does not interrupt or interfere with the Furor.

After any successful hit with Furor, a Troll of 2HD or more may elect to deliver another Furor attack at a further, cumulative -2 (-1 for claw) penalty. As such, a Troll would suffer a -2 for the first Furor attack, a -4 for the second, a -6 for a third, and so on. This process may be repeated to deliver a number of Furor attacks up to or equal to the Troll's HD, with the caveat that if one Furor attack misses, they all miss. Non-furor attacks are unaffected, and do damage independently of whether the Furor misses.

Finally, starting at 2HD, a Troll may deliver a series of Furor attacks alongside a standard action attack, but is limited to one extra attack for every two HD it has. This involves the same cumulative penalties and provokes the attack of opportunity, as described above.

Mend Flesh: Starting at first level, the Troll may step back from combat to crudely smear or pinch its flesh together, prompting muscle and warty hide to join together again. Mend Flesh is a standard action, in which the Troll heals itself of damage equal to its HD or its Con modifier, whichever is higher. This is a supernatural ability, and does not count as a spell or magical power for the purposes of healing nonlethal damage (In short, you do not heal an amount of nonlethal damage equal to the lethal damage healed).

This may be performed a number of times a day equal to the Troll's Con modifier. In the event that the Troll suffers fire or acid damage, this ability becomes unusable for 1d4 rounds.

Starting at 3HD, if the Troll is damaged and unable to take a standard action (such as if it is unconscious, stunned, dying or dazed), it will automatically use Mend Flesh as a free action.

At 9HD, the Troll may use Mend Flesh as a move action.

At 15HD, the Troll heals twice the amount.

Scent: At second level, the Troll gains Scent, as per the monster ability, with a standard range of 30'. Trolls can scent fires and smoke at four times the usual range (twice the usual range, as a racial variant, doubled again as smoke is a strong scent). Scent is described here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This extraordinary ability lets a creature detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.

A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.

The creature detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the creature can pinpoint that source.

A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.

False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.

Gnaw: Starting at second level, the Troll gains Bite as a secondary natural weapon, dealing 1d4 + ½ Str damage.

Further, a Troll may, as a standard action, make a Gnaw attack. This requires the Troll take a full round action to make a single Bite attack, which suffers the standard penalty to hit for being a secondary weapon. This special attack deals 1d8 + 2x Str damage, with the Troll and the victim making an opposed Strength check if the bite hits and damages the victim. Every time the Troll succeeds in the Strength check, it deals 1 point of Con damage and makes another Strength check, with the Troll sustaining a cumulative -2 penalty to its Strength check for each attempt after the first, until the Troll fails the opposed Strength check. This ability only works on flesh and blood enemies. The damage dealt by the Gnaw attack penetrates DR.

Gnaw provokes an attack of opportunity from adjacent opponents, but if the Troll is below half hitpoints, Gnaw does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the target (it still provokes attacks of opportunity from other foes in the immediate vicinity).

At 5HD, the Con damage increases to 1d2. This becomes 1d4 at 10HD, 1d6 at 15HD and 1d8 at 20HD.

Thrash: A third level Troll can exercise strength and raw brutality to bring its foes to their knees. Thrash offers two options to the Troll:
    • As part of a melee full attack, foregoing the use of Furor or attack maneuvers, the Troll may batter his opponents with such ferocity that they buckle under the assault. As the Troll makes a full attack with every attack directed at a single foe, the Troll and that foe make opposed strength checks, using the special modifiers for size as found under Grapple. If the foe fails to beat the Troll's result, that foe is immobilized for one round, losing the ability to move from their current location of their own volition for the duration.
    • The Troll may make a jump check with a +2 bonus. If it comes within reach of an airborne foe, it makes a trip attack against that foe. The opponent does not get a bonus for having additional legs, nor can they attempt to trip the Troll if the attack fails. If the trip attack is successful, the Troll drives the foe 30 feet straight downward, plus 5' per point he beat the opponent's result. Foes take falling damage as appropriate, and fall prone on striking the ground. Foes who are still in the air at the beginning of their next turn can use their airborne mobility and maneuverability to avoid hitting the ground. This is a full round action if the Troll makes the jump check, and a standard action if it can reach and make the trip attack against the airborne foe without the jump.

Rend: Starting at third level, a Troll that hits a foe with both claw attacks deals a bonus 2d6 + 1.5 x Str damage. A Rend can only occur once each round. A Troll that uses Furor is not paying enough attention to whether its attacks are hitting to take advantage of Rend, so Rend only has a 50% chance of working if a Troll uses Furor.

Regeneration: At third level, the Troll manifests the Regeneration ability, healing an amount of nonlethal damage each round equal to half its HD. Fire and Acid deal normal damage to the Troll. Should the Troll lose a body part, it regrows in 3d6 minutes. The Troll can reattach the severed body part by holding it to the stump for 1 round. Regeneration is described here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creatures with this extraordinary ability recover from wounds quickly and can even regrow or reattach severed body parts. Damage dealt to the creature is treated as nonlethal damage, and the creature automatically cures itself of nonlethal damage at a fixed rate per round, as given in the creature’s entry.

Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal damage to the creature normally; that sort of damage doesn’t convert to nonlethal damage and so doesn’t go away. The creature’s description includes the details. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.

Creatures with regeneration can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts. Severed parts die if they are not reattached.

Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration.

An attack that can cause instant death only threatens the creature with death if it is delivered by weapons that deal it lethal damage.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.

Excision: At fourth level, a Troll that would fall victim to physical maladies (effects that would require a Fortitude saving throw) can tear and claw away their own flesh to prevent the effect from setting in properly. Doing so is a free action, declared as one fails a Fortitude Save. The Troll deals its own claw damage (typically nonlethal) to itself and adds half the damage total to the result of the saving throw.

For example, a Troll achieves a result of 15 against a DC 18 petrifaction attack. It opts to claw at the parts of its body that are turning to stone, dealing 1d4+6 damage to itself. Rolling a 4 for damage, the Troll effectively deals 10 points of nonlethal damage to itself, adding +5 to the result of the save. With a new effective result of 20, the petrifaction is averted.

Tumescent Recovery: At fourth level, the Troll may enhance its regeneration for short periods of time, healing less mortal wounds within heartbeats of their occurrence. Activating Tumescent Recovery is a swift action, and grants the effects until the end of the Troll's next turn. For the duration, the Troll forces all damage rolls against it to be rerolled and use the lower result. Tumescent recovery is usable once a day per 2HD, but the effect has the same restrictions on use as Mending Flesh (It suffers the same 1d4 round restriction on use after taking fire damage) and the effect ends immediately if the Troll suffers fire or acid damage (fire and acid damage is not rerolled).

Growth: A fifth level Troll grows to large size. Its reach, grapple modifiers, natural attack damage and skills change accordingly, but it doesn't gain any ability score bonuses or penalties.

Violent Onslaught: A fifth level Troll may throw himself through enemy ranks, clawing or smashing his way through them as he does so. This is a full round action, in which the Troll moves half its movement allowance in a straight line (it cannot move a shorter distance). The Troll can move through spaces occupied by enemies, but not through obstacles. Should he so wish, he may make a jump check to give himself vertical height to strike at flying foes.

The Troll makes a single attack, at a -2 penalty, against every opponent who falls within his reach during the movement. If the Troll attacks with its claws, it makes these attacks at a -1 penalty. This attack deals full damage to swarms.

At the end of the first onslaught, a Troll that has either killed an opponent or made the onslaught while at 50% or less health (count nonlethal damage as lethal for these purposes) may make a second use of Violent Onslaught, provided it is not moving back in the direction it came. Rather than suffer a -2 penalty, this second charge grants a +2 bonus to attacks made (+4 for claws).

Opponents of the Troll's size or larger may make an attack of opportunity against the Troll as it tears past.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    I made a few changes here. The main thing I wanted to address was how passive Oslecamo's Troll was. It didn't have a lot of options in combat, and those options it did have weren't a ton of fun.

Mend Flesh is one such example. It's in keeping with the Troll's primary schtick (regeneration), but requires an action and some thought for use in combat. It's a little strong at early levels, but given that the Troll doesn't have proficiencies and is pretty much stuck with somewhat unimpressive claws (1d4 base damage is not fantastic), it should at least give the Troll enough staying power to feel confident about using Furor or just outlasting opponents in the fray.

Furor is fairly fitting for the Troll, given flavor descriptions and my own mental picture of the Troll looming before you, largely ignoring the fact that you're stabbing through her chest while she tears off your head. There's a bit of a gamble element in there too; at level 20 you might be able to deliver 20 bonus attacks, which looks ridiculous on paper, but missing one means you lose 'em all. On the flip side of the coin, though, it also means you really, really don't want to be denied your AC against Trolls. If you're helpless, that Troll can and will tear you to pieces. Which is great - it's very much in keeping with my mental picture of trolls.

Tumescent Recovery is another I wanted to mention. The effect is largely flavor, because it allows for some awesome moments where the Troll is striding through the magical sandstorm, healing as fast as its flesh can be ripped away, or striding through enemy ranks to crush that damned wizard, wounds closing up as fast as they are made. I think I'll have to go back to it to tidy it up, though.

So, the Troll is a reckless fighter that can throw itself into the fray and trade hits, then heal up and be ready for the next fight. I've tried to give it a few options so it has something to do in most level 1-5 combats. I think this version would be much more enjoyable to play, or to play against, should a DM wish to throw it at the group.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feb 03, 2011:
    • Gnaw bite & bonus damage now penetrate DR.
    • Excision bonus to saves is halved.
    • Tumescent recovery is clarified. Added a table elaborating on the healing amount.

Feb 06, 2011:
    • Gnaw (which was a singular bite attack that did bonus damage equal to the target's total HD, penetrating DR) replaced with Chomp, a single bite attack that can deal potentially massive damage, which was the intent anyways.
    • Clarified what Immobilization does, under Thrash.
    • Leaving Rend, Tumescent Recovery and Violent Onslaught alone until I decide what to do with them.

Feb 10, 2011:
    • Rend now only has a 50% chance of working if you use Furor, so there's a choice to be made in declaring your use of Furor.
    • Tumescent Recovery no longer grants healing each time you take indirect damage (indirect damage was hard to calculate and the overall effect was complicated) but now lets you force rerolls on all damage taken for the duration.
    • Violent Onslaught now has a 'rage mode', where a troll brought to low health, or a troll that offs an enemy, can use the ability again, with a small bonus.

Feb 11, 2011:
    • Changed Chomp (described above, in the changelog) back to Gnaw, but changed mechanics. It now lets the Troll bite, followed by making a Strength check against the foe. Each strength check you pass deals con damage and lets you make another strength check (with a penalty on the check and more con damage) until you fail.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-02-11 at 06:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191

The new troll looks pretty good, but there a few minor issues. You haven't stated how many hit points of damage a troll heals with regeneration and I'm not familiar with the immobilized condition mentioned in thrash. Did you mean they are knocked prone?

Edit: Also, some wepon proficiencies might be apropriate. trolls are savage, but capable of using tools. Maybe just a few basic wepons, like the club, sling, greatclub or spear
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2011-01-29 at 04:44 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

12. - Top - End - #192

Added the regeneration amount (equal to 1/2 HD). Tweaked Mend Flesh so it doesn't heal scads of nonlethal damage as well (oversight on my part). Immobilized means you cannot move from your current square, but does not, IIRC, forbid full attack options. It is not equivalent to being knocked prone.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BAB is weird. If it's medium BAB, the level 5 bonus should be +3.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

14. - Top - End - #194

True dat. Was copying monster class template from a level 4 creature, and was rushing through the new row on the table.

15. - Top - End - #195

Lodestone Marauder

Spoiler
    Show

Lodestone Marauder
    Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Features

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Lodestone Marauder Body, Magnetic Defense, Spiked Hide, +1 Str

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Lesser Magnetic Repulsion, Lesser Magnetic Attraction, +1 Con

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Spiny Whirlwind, +1 Str

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Growth, Magnetic Wrecking

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Magnetic Crushing Charge, +1 Con

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Claws, Climb Speed, +1 Str

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Magnetic Repulsion, Magnetic Attraction, Burrow Speed

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Unstoppable Force, Immovable Object, +1 Str

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Magneto-Kinetic Mastery, Biological Supermagnet, +1 Str[/table]

Skills Points at 1rst Level: (2+Intelligence Modifier) x 4
    Skills Points at Each Level: (2+Intelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The Lodestone Marauder’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis).

Proficiencies: The Lodestone Marauder gains proficiency with its natural weapons, but no other weapons, nor any type of armour.

Lodestone Marauder Class Features:
    The following are the Class Features of the Lodestone Marauder.

Lodestone Marauder Body: The Lodestone Marauder loses all of its racial traits and becomes a Medium Abberation. It is a quadruped (granting it a +4 bonus to resist trip and bullrush attempts, as well as a larger encumbrance limit than a biped of its size and strength). It cannot speak, but can understand languages it knows (one plus one per point of Int bonus at first level) and can learn to read and write. Its claws lack fine manipulation, but can manipulate metal objects as if they had fine manipulation thanks to its magnetic abilities (companions often invest in a sheet of thin metal to be piched into pictures and letters, or a set of metal quills). It gains a natural armour bonus equal to its Con modifier. It gains a bite attack as a primary natural attack, dealing 1d6+1.5XStr mod damage. A Lodestone Marauder wears barding rather than normal armour, and even barding is priced as for an unusual or exotic creature. It cannot wear standard gloves, helms, shields or robes. It has a base land speed of 30ft and Darkvision 60ft.

Magnetic Defense (Su): Upon reaching 1st level the Lodestone Marauder gains access to a passive magnetic field, granting it a deflection bonus to armour class equal to one-third its HD (minimum 1) against partially or wholly metal-based attacks (e.g. most swords, polearms, etc., as well as many spells from the Wu Jen's Metal element). It also recieves a bonus equal to its HD on saves against electrical spells and abilities.

Spiked Hide (Ex): A Lodestone Marauder learns to utilize the spikes on its body, in much the same way as a warrior in spiked armour. A creature grappling a Lodestone Marauder takes 1d4 points of piercing damage at the beginning of the Marauder's turn. The Lodestone Marauder also adds 1d4 piercing damage to damage dealt by grapple chacks, and deals lethal damage in a grapple in this way. At 4HD, and every 4HD thereafter (8, 12, 16, 20, etc.), the damage die increases by one step as if it were a weapon increasing in size.

Attribute Bonus: A Lodestone Marauder gains bonuses to Strength and Constitution at each level indicated in the table. These bonuses stack, for a total of +5 Str and +2 Con at 9th level.

Lesser Magnetic Repulsion (Su): At 2nd level the Lodestone Marauder learns to create a small burst of magnetic repulsion, leaving its opponents off-balance. As a standard action, a Lodestone Marauder can create a burst of magnetic repulsion within a 10' cone, which extends a further 5' per 2HD of the Lodestone Marauder. Any creature holding a metal weapon or item (including swords and other weapons and items made mostly or entirely of metal, excluding wooden-hafted weapons and items such as polearms), wearing metal armour or which is made of metal must make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2HD+Con mod) or lose their Dexterity bonus to armour class for 1 round/2HD. A creature holding a metal item or weapon may drop the item to automatically succeed on their save, at which point the item flies to the far edge of the burst's range, dealing 1 damage of an appropriate sort (usually piercing, bludgeoning and/or slashing) to anything in its path. Any unattended metal items (under the Lodestone Marauder's Light Load encumbrance limit) are also sent to the edge of the burst's range.

Lesser Magnetic Attraction (Su): At 2nd level the Lodestone Marauder learns to harness its magnetic powers to drag items towards itself. As a full-round action, a Lodestone Marauder can attract all mostly or wholly metal items (swords, coins and the like count; arrows, polearms and similar items do not) under its Heavy Load encumbrance limit to itself, within a 10ft/HD radius. Unattended items are automatically dragged 5ft/HD toward the Lodestone Marauder, going by the shortest route between the two, possibly being stopped by barriers, even low ones. Creatures holding such items must make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2HD+Con modifier) or drop them, at which point they are dragged as normal. Creatures wearing such items (or who are made of metal themselves) are unnaffected unless the combined weight of that creature and its metal items fall under the limit, in which case the creature moves 5ft/2HD toward the Lodestone Marauder. Any item which could be moved into the Marauder's space by this movement becomes stuck to its hide, though it can be pulled off with no Strength check necessary as a move action.

Spiny Whirlwind: At 3rd level the Lodestone Marauder learns to spin in a tight circle, slicing nearby enemies to shreds with the spikes on its carapace. As a full-round action, the Lodestone Marauder deals its Spiked Hide damage plus its Strength modifier to all enemies within 5ft of itself. At 7HD, Lesser Magnetic Repulsion or Lesser Magnetic Attraction can be used as part of this action, taking effect before or after the Spiny Whirlwind effect, at the Marauder's choice. At 14HD this works with the Magnetic Repulsion and Magnetic Attraction abilities.

Growth: At 4th level the Lodestone Marauder grows to Large size. Its reach, grapple modifiers, natural attack damage and skills change accordingly, but it doesn't gain any ability score bonuses or penalties.

Magnetic Wrecking: At 4th level the Lodestone Marauder can, as a standard action, deal damage as its bite attack to all metal items on its hide or its reach (including or excluding particular items as it chooses), ignoring 1 point of hardness for every 4HD (no minimum, round down).

Magnetic Crushing Charge: At 5th level, by releasing a forward thrust of magnetism in combination with a charge, a Lodestone Marauder crush its enemy with magnetic force whilst attacking. When the Lodestone Marauder makes a charge, it deals an additional 1d12+Str bludgeoning damage, as long as the charge's target is wearing metal armour or clothing. This additional damage is dealt even on a charge to bullrush, and in this case the opposed Strength check to bullrush recieves a +4 bonus.

Claws: At 6th level the Lodestone Marauder gains two claw attacks as secondary natural attacks, each dealing 1d6 damage at Large size.

Climb Speed: At 6th level the Lodestone Marauder learns to climb effectively, gaining a climb speed of 20ft, as well as the associated +8 racial bonus to Climb checks and the ability to take 10 on Climb checks even if rushed or threatened.

Magnetic Repulsion: At 7th level the Lodestone Marauder learns to master its magnetic repulsion. This ability works as Lesser Magnetic Repulsion, with the following exceptions. The range is 10ft plus 10ft for every HD of the Lodestone Marauder. Any creature failing the save required for holding a metal item drops that item. Any creature failing the save required for wearing metal armour or clothing drops prone onstead of losing their Dex bonus to armour class. Unattended items (and items on the Marauder's hide, at the Lodestone Marauder's option) deal damage as thrown improvised weapons to all in their path (Reflex save of 10+Lodestone Marauder's HD for half damage), instead of 1 damage. Finally, the weight limit for affected items increases to the Marauder's Medium Load.

Magnetic Attraction: At 7th level the Lodestone Marauder masters its magnetic attraction. This ability works as Lesser Magnetic Attraction, with the following exceptions. The action taken is reduced to a standard action and the weight limit is doubled. Creatures holding metal items fall prone if they fail their Reflex save. Unattended items are dragged as close as possible to the Lodestone Marauder, instead of being limited to 5ft per Hit Die. Creatures made of metal or wearing metal armour are treated as unattended items unless they succeed on a Reflex save. Movement caused by this ability provokes attacks of opportunity.

Burrow Speed: At 7th level the Lodestone Marauder learns to dig quickly and effectively, gaining a burrow speed of 20ft. The Lodestone Marauder can dig through loose earth, sand, clay and similar materials, but not packed earth, stone and similarly hard materials. The Marauder leaves a useable tunnel with a diameter equal to its space, which collapses after three rounds, two rounds if disturbed.

Unstoppable Force (Su): At 8th level, as long as the Lodestone Marauder has metal up to 5ft per HD beneath it, the Lodestone Marauder gains a +10 bonus on Climb and Jump checks, as well as to checks made to bullrush or overrun. In addition, they gain a +10 bonus to movement speed, attracting itself to the metal beneath it with each bound to move faster, and ignore difficult terrain, almost floating over the ground with their magnetic powers.

Immovable Object (Su): At 8th level the Lodestone Marauder learns to use its magnetic powers to stay in place. It gains a bonus equal to twice its HD to Balance checks and checks made to resist trip and bullrush attempts, so long as there is metal up to 5ft per HD beneath it.

Magneto-Kinetic Mastery (Su): At 9th level the Lodestone Marauder learns to use its magnetic power to its full potential. They gain Telekinesis at will as a supernatural ability, but they may only move metal items using it. The caster level for this ability is equal to the Lodestone Marauder's hit dice and the Lodestone Marauder uses their Strength modifier where a Wizard would use their Intelligence modifier.

Biological Supermagnet (Su): At 9th level the Lodestone Marauder can have items stuck nigh-immovably to its skin. It can, as a free action, have any metal item within 5ft stick to its skin, or become unstuck. A stuck item requires a full-round action and a Strength check (DC=Lodestone Marauder's Strength score) to remove. A Lodestone Marauder can benefit from a stuck magic item as if it were wearing or wielding it, but the normal rule of one item per slot (two for rings) still applies, so this is most useful for items it could not normally use. Stuck items remain stuck even after the Marauder's death, at which point the DC to remove items becomes 20, regardless of what it was before. Items attracted by Lesser Magnetic Attraction or Magnetic Attraction are now treated as if stuck by Biological Supermagnet.

Comments/Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show

Comments
    Okay, first draft is done. Lots of active abilities, the class encourages (or should encourage) melee with a focus on battlefield control (nonstandard though it may be). It has lots of things to knock opponents about like ragdolls, provided their magnetic power is strong enough and the opponent has metal items on them. It's quite strong to make up for a lack of speech and fine manipulation, but I hope it should be within reasonable limits.

Magneto-Kinetic Mastery should be fun, lacking a maximum weight limit. You can move almost anything metal with it, given enough time. Note that a 1-round action is different from a full-round action.

Changelog
    09/02/11 - A few typos and wordings fixed ("10ft+5ft/HD" to "within a 10' cone, which extends a further 5' per 2HD of the Lodestone Marauder", "5fHD" to "5ft per HD", Lodestone Marauder Body is now in the table, etc.). Magnetic Attraction and Repulsion now read "As Lesser Magnetic X, with the following exceptions, to avoid redundancy. Magnetic Repulsion and its Lesser form now have flying objects deal some damage, and Magnetic Repulsion's effects may have been changed slightly, partially to balance the added damage and partially because I accidentally deleted the ability before making changes to it or copying it for reference. Supermagnet no longer features "permanent". Magnetic Attraction (or more accurately, it's Lesser form) clarifies what happens to items that reach the Marauder. Burrow speed now leaves a usable tunnel, where it previously lacked clarification. Magneto-Kinetic Mastery now requires concentration as a spell, anyone still wearing metal on the cliff edge after not doing anything to the big magnet visibly charging a supermove deserves whatever they get. A bit of text under LM Body added to allow some communication, or at least suggestions for it.
    19/02/11 - Clarification on damage dealing in Lesser Magnetic Repulsion. Magneto-Kinetic Mastery changed to at-will, metal-only Telekinesis.

I know the Gargoyle isn't done yet, but I did want to do this anyway. In any case, it is now ready for review.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2011-02-19 at 06:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

The lack of speech is going to be a problem. May use the Purple Worm's "After a week, body language is comprehensable."
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Troll looks good! I found a few things that were iffy, but at first glance, nothing was wrong with it.

And as for the lodestone marauder... haven't read it in whole, but I just want to say: F*ckin' Lodestone Marauders, how do they work?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Troll looks good! I found a few things that were iffy, but at first glance, nothing was wrong with it.

And as for the lodestone marauder... haven't read it in whole, but I just want to say: F*ckin' Lodestone Marauders, how do they work?
    A wizard did it.

19. - Top - End - #199

May want to censor that all the way, posting rules don't let you censor you're own posts for occasions like this, I imagine. And are you referring just to the meme, or (Lesser) Magnetic Repulsion and Attraction, which are rather wordy and will probably need to be cut down?
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2011-01-29 at 06:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    A wizard did it.
    Know thy memes.

May want to censor that all the way, posting rules don't let you censor you're own posts for occasions like this, I imagine.
    I find it amusing that those who tend to follow the forum rules strictly also tend to ignore the "vigilante moderation" rule.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2011-01-29 at 06:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I know the meme. I just thought I'd post another meme as well.

22. - Top - End - #202

I find it amusing that those who tend to follow the forum rules strictly also tend to ignore the "vigilante moderation" rule.
    It was just a thought, it seemed to rather defeat the point of a censor in the first place. No word has no vowels, after all (unless it has a "y"), so it's only a matter of guesswork even for the few who don't know it already. Nevertheless, I'd have preferred an answer to my question, really.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    It was just a thought, it seemed to rather defeat the point of a censor in the first place. No word has no vowels, after all (unless it has a "y"), so it's only a matter of guesswork even for the few who don't know it already. Nevertheless, I'd have preferred an answer to my question, really.
    Like I said, haven't read it in full. I'm a little too busy right now to do much more than quote internet memes at people.

24. - Top - End - #204

Added Vivisector, Razor Boar, Black Dragon, Troll, Lodestone Marauder and I think one or two others to the 'Unfinished Monster' list. Tidied up the Called Monster list.

Just a heads up, guys. My significant other's dad died, which wasn't a surprise and wasn't that sad, given that he's been sick enough for long enough that it's something of a relief for everyone. As a consequence, anyways, I'm going away this week. This might mean I am unable to post at all. Conversely, it might mean I have a lot of time to post, depending on the strength and the availability of the connection where I end up staying. Just letting you know what's up and that I haven't dropped off the face of the Prime Material, just in case.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-29 at 08:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Speaking as a (very) inexperienced homebrewer, I just want to say that the work that y'all have done here is just amazing. It's even inspired me to consider running a monsters-only campaign at some point. This series of threads is a really incredible resource...so thanks, on behalf of me and my group.

Condolences, Hyuudra. Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible this week.

And I'm rather excited to hear that the Ethergaunt is being redone. Ethergaunts are awesome.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    And I'm rather excited to hear that the Ethergaunt is being redone. Ethergaunts are awesome.
    That will be finished in an... indeterminate amount of time. Might be in a few days, might be in a few months, just depending on... everything, really. Not a first priority, really (though apparently it should be, as everyone seems to want one).

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Wasn't there some sort of "only work on one monster at a time" sort of rule?

If not, I recommend one.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Wasn't there some sort of "only work on one monster at a time" sort of rule?

If not, I recommend one.
    There was such a rule, some time ago, but it was ignored by the people it was most intended for, and in the current dynamic, with one council member AWOL and another busy, it's not possible to get stuff accepted in any reasonable span of time.

Speaking for myself, I've polished and gone over my previous unfinished monsters as much as I can, in good conscience, and deem them complete for most intents and purposes. Basilisk and Manticore have been reviewed by people in the know, altered to address the reviewers' concerns and I suspect they're awaiting a small few minor changes and a thumbs up before their inclusion on the list. Storm giant, as I see it, needs more critiques but is largely unfinished.

Further, the thread was stagnating somewhat, with the aforementioned difficulties with council members and the restriction on waiting until your monster was accepted. The influx of new monsters, while adding to the size of the unfinished list, has helped spur discussion and creative input. Which is good.

Regardless, the main concern for the rule was to not have people posting new monsters & forgetting about their unfinished ones. While I can't speak for others, I can assure you I've not forgotten about my monsters.

29. - Top - End - #209

-- Time Warp --

Speaking of which: first five people to post and ask for a critique on their monsters that's more than a week old get my critique. I want to do some critiquing, but I don't want to waste time and energy on anything that's been abandoned.
    Seeking critique on your choice of Storm Giant or Basilisk. The latter has been critiqued, but is more finished and could get a potentially final look & inclusion to the list. The former is largely uncritiqued, but a little more comprehensive. Your call.

With Gorgondantess' assent, Manticore has been added to the finished list. May your tail spikes strike true.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-30 at 12:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of which: first five people to post and ask for a critique on their monsters that's more than a week old get my critique. I want to do some critiquing, but I don't want to waste time and energy on anything that's been abandoned.