New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default [3.5] Tomb of Horrors

TOMB OF HORRORS

The forest path is worn down with the tracks of wagon wheels moving from the great nations of the West, across the unclaimed territories that lead up to the East. Here and there, one can see the massive flag stones of the ancient road that once cut through this ancient forest, the size of a man's arms outstretched.
    Making their way along the path a the party of noble adventurers; four humans, two dwarves, a halfling and an elf. One of the dwarves is a transmutationist named Dranga, and her fellow dwarf, in full plate armor with shield, is Trevor Dermic. Welby Bolger is the halfling, a sorceror and the elf, Snake, is one of those known as a "shadow dancer". Each of the humans are armed to the teeth: Jim Porter, with rapiers and a masterwork longbow, while Jake Smith favors the great sword and Bob keeps all his weapons hidden beneath a cloak. The sole human woman in the group, Daina Lightfingers, brings up the rear armed with a silver bow on her back.
    Usually, they would be riding, but their horses were stolen and most likely eaten during the encounter with that purple worm demon lich...
    But today, these noble adventurers are content to walk, the red dirt that is unique to this valley coating their shoes and legs.
    The forest slowly comes to an end, and the forest path continues down into the large town below them. The mountains seem to ring forest, path and town alike, with only the edges of the swamp being the single break from trees and snow-capped peaks. The dirt road runs through the town, and becomes a cobbled one as it leaves, headed East back into the forest. From the town a single dirt path runs into the swamp.
    Eager for a place to rest and a chance for some food, and maybe make plans on how to finish the demilich once and for all the party hurries down the hill to enter. As they get closer, it is safe to assume that the town lives on trade passing through, lumber and mining, and is supported by farmers to the South. The swamp is to the North.
    Somehow, Trevor manages to outstrip his companions, and is first to see the gathered crowd before him. A man breaks from the group of villagers of assorted races and falls to the dwarf's metal bound feet.
    "More adventurers! Thank blessed Heironeous! Help! Please! I beseech you!"
    The rest of the party catches up and gets a better look at the man clutching Trevor's armor; he is wearied with bloodshot eyes, and there are red patches in his scalp where he's torn out the hair, and it appears as if he's been sleeping in the dirt.
    Pleadingly, the man continues, 'I'm supposed to be mayor! But the children, we never knew! There was nothing I could do! We thought the trees were safe!"
    Trembling, he points to the very edge of the swamp, where a ring of elm trees stand by the path leading in.
    Sobbing, "My daughters! They and the children! We never thought to tell them to stay out of the swamp..."
    In the crowd, made up of mostly humans and halflings, women cover their faces and the men shift nervously-and Welby notices that there are no children amongst them.
    "The first adventurer's and their wizard came first, and went up to that hill, and then the screaming truly began! That was a week ago!"
    He breaks down, and can't continue. A man with a handlebar mustache and a halfling woman scramble over to pick him off the ground and lead him away. Another halfling takes the mayor's place, "This morning, the wizard and one of his friends came running out of the swamp as if Erythnus himself was chasing after them! The friend kept saying, "They're dead-stay away from that place! You're better off not knowing! And then his friend made a hole in the air and they left!"
    He points to a razor-sharp line in the dirt, and Dranga can recognize the tell-tale sign of a Dimension Door spell.
    The halfling begins to weep as well, "My son is missing too."

Spoiler
    Show
    The Starting Roster:
    Bob Foapple, the Expert
    Jake Smith, the Fighter
    Welby Bolger, the Sorceror
    Trevor Dermic, the Cleric
    Dranga Skaldsdotter, the Wizard
    Snake, the Shadowdancer
    Jim "James" Porter, the Thug
    And Daina Lightfingers, a Thief

The Current Roster:
    Jake Smith, the Fighter
    Welby Bolger, the Sorceror
    Dranga Skaldsdotter, the Wizard
    Snake, the Shadowdancer
    Quin Stoneshield, a Cleric
    And Daina Lightfingers, a Thief

Shudu, The Honorbound, a Scout
    Maki, The Barbarian
    Eduardo, Master of Death

Bob Foapple
    Jake Smith
    Welby Bolger
    Snake
    Dranga Skaldsdotter
    Quin Stoneshield
    Shudu, the Honorbound, a Scout
    Maki, the Barbarian
    Maki, during his infamous RAGES
    Eduardo, Master of Death

4) Initiative will be dealt with in the following manner: When Initiative rolls are required for the entire party, rather than waiting for everyone to post their rolls, I will prompt the first person to post to roll several d20s for each person in the party, and I'll administer all applicable bonuses when determining order.
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2012-01-23 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Retcon!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Tomb of Horrors

[Alright adventurers! I don't know if my "setting" of the setting was clear enough, so a simple math if forthcoming. What course of action do the adventurer's take? They can do some minor investigation, or take the obvious path and begin Tomb of Horrors! Good luck everyone!"
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-10 at 01:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

OOC: Background -
    Spoiler
    Show

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!
    Welby is a young (child by their standards) Halfling much like most of these races typical specimens. With the exception of the glint in his eyes.

Welby was born without a wizardous bone on his body. But his parents were both renown wizards that only helped protect the lands of the halflings but ensured that whenever a young Halfling required tutoring they could provide it. Their biggest failure was their own son who did not have any ability for wizardry and even worse seemed to have inate knowledge of small amount of sorcery. This brought them great shame in the community and hence they were not the most loving parents.

He deeply believes that he is invincible and hence he has no fear or sense of danger. That does not mean he won’t flee to fight another day but it would be a tactical decision and not one stemming from fear.

Offence is the best defense was something he once heard his drow companion say and ever since he took it to heart acting like a crazed derro some times and not stopping at any challenge or against any odds.

Being very young, inexperienced and not recognized for what he believes is his talent Welby decides to flaunt it all the time. His clothing is to say the least eccentric mixing explorers carefully planned outfit with bright reds and greens and blues of a courtier. He has also designed numerous sigils on his cloak and robe to make them look more impressive and magical. Some are indeed sigils of protection while most are just fake designed to impress rather than have any effect.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.
    Welby is driven by his desire to surpass in magical aptitude and potency his now dead parents who never accepted his talents.

Shallow as it may sound, Welby desires nothing more as far as material possession go as a Robe of the Archmagi and a Staff of Power. In his mind, whoever owns such potent items, is obviously a mage of incredible power… even his robe would say so!

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
    Welby did not lose his parents by accident as his tale goes. The last day before he abandoned his home he murdered them and more than half his local community when he flew into a blind rage after his father criticized his inability to memorize but the simplest cantrips.

Welby does not know it but his dabbing in magic and the style of his life have attracted the attention of the Priests of two opposing factions, the priesthood of Tymora (goddess of Fate, Destiny, Divination, the Future, and Honesty.) and the priesthood of Vecna evil god of Deceit, secrets and magic.

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.
    Aximand Malagar a drow elf warrior/rogue/wizard that had been accompanying Welby in his journeys helping him along amazed by the little Halflings tenacity and ignorance as well as his inability to feel fear. Lately they had to split up as Malagar went back to his people to create his own Drow House.

High Priest Oriath of Tymora is a powerful half-elf cleric that wishes to guide Welby on the path of the Fate spinner feeling that the goddess has plans for the little guy.

The Wizard Locust, a half-elf that was friends with Welbys parents and has since their demise made it his personal crusade to find out what happened to them and to bring the responsible party to justice. He does not yet know it was Welby who did the deed but he suspects so.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.A silent night out in the fields not far from their house. Welby sees the moon and the starts above him and raises his hand. He knows his father loves him but after almost a year of steady training he is still unable to even grasp how he can learn magic from books. Suddenly sparks fly off his fingers and a magic missile is born at his finger tips. When he runs to his parents a huge smile on his face and tries to explain his feat of wizardry they look upon him with distaste and horror… «our own son, a filthy sorcerer» they say.
    -
    Upon entering the chamber both he and Malagar recoil in terror, the Beholder turns its ugly eyes towards them and prepares to blast them into oblivion. With a yelp Malagar runs to the right springing and trying to get the anti-magic field to not look at the halfling. Welby realizes its his time to shine, the one thing he had been saving is finally going to be used. He runs under the beholder his small size allowing to avoid all gazes and rays and pulls out the sealed scroll. He reads the words of power and smiles feeling the energy surround him. Not a moment later Malagar jumps next to him tumbling away from the destructive power of the beholder and touches the Halfling. Fortunately for them despite the spells difficulty Welby has just managed to cast the teleport spell inscribed on the parchment
    -
    The duergar patrol has been hunting them for hours. Welby, Malagar and their goblin guide have just managed to avoid them once more hiding into the shadows of a crag in the deep hollows of this cavern. The duergar cleric leading his group looks around wondering where they went and gives the order to march ahead. Malagar and Ichto the goblin relax a little bit knowing they are safe. Welby on the other hand smiles broadly and almost yells
    « Ha! That idiot missed us, now we can double back and steal all their treasure «
    From down the passage the sound of armored toes stops abruptly as the duergar turn around to chase them.

From behind the dwarf came the halfling.

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show

Welby's charisma does not translate into handsomeness as he is too young to have significat male characteristics. It is the feeling of serenity and youthfull innocense that his eyes and whole face offer that makes those talking to him like him.

His clothes show how hard he tries to appear menacing (and resulting into an even cuter look) with bright reds and blacks in intricate robes and runes. The magical items he carries are an even greater testament to this as all of them are very obvious with sparkling edges and the full "magical effect" surrounding them.

He looked at the ground. He looked at the gathered crowd. He looked at the weeping parents and tilted his head.

"HELLO I AM WELBY!" He said waving his hands a huge grin appearing in his face and reaching to his ears

"Dont worry, I shall save the children and the orphans and the women too! Nothing can stand in the way of my near cosmic power." His cheerfullness and certainty almost creating a puplable sense of joy in the area!

Without looking around another second for all those clues and things that were usually what others did he strode ahead and started to whistle almost oblivious to the stunned stares all around him.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-01-10 at 01:48 PM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Holy crap. This is gonna be good.]
    The halfling spokesman sticks out a hand, "Thank you for your kindness friend, I'm Pharrin. My son's name is Pharrin too-please bring him back to me."

5. - Top - End - #5

Hearing the other halflings words he stopped momentarily and turned back to look at him.

" I SHALL! I shall bring him to you and you will live happily for ever after like a father and son should... " he paused for a second lost in thought but also for dramatic effect.

"... Did you ever tell your son he want good enough mister? Or that he should study hard those dusty old tomes that made him cough and sneeze? Did you?" The little sorceror asked his face darkening for a moment.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-01-10 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"He's only four! But he wants to be a baker just like me-of course, if he wanted to be a wizard, I'd support him! It'd be pretty interesting having a wizard in the family."

7. - Top - End - #7

Anger bubbled on the surface of the little,no longer smiling, face.

"Wizards are evil mister. If he wants to be a baker you can let him. But not a wizard. Everyone knows wizards are wicked things that want to cause nothing but suffering. Sorcerers on the other hand... now they are the ones that shall inherit the world because they are nice and smart and they have the power of dragons inside them!" he paused to catch his breath.

"But enough of this. Do not worry, all will be saved or my name is not Welby 'the robe' Bolger the Master of Magic. And in return you shall tell everyone that if they ever find a Robe of the Archmagi they must bring it to me".

Again, the momentarily anger forgotten he smiled at the halfling and to the rest of the gathered folk and turned to look at his companions.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OOC - Sorry I don't have much time (I only just noticed this thread was up but backstory
    Spoiler
    Show

Trevor is somewhat quiet and reserved, but mostly just cautious. He prefers not too go in himself first, with summoned monkeys being handy scouts. He dislikes combat and prfers to hang back and heal people/ summon monsters. When he was younger he was a right old troublemaker, but that changed at the young age of 29 when he nearly died... well he sort of did die, but his father being a cleric meant it wasn't for very long

but as you can imagine the whole experience was a tad traumatising, and since then has Trevor has made sure that he's been good (mostly) and that he doesn't die.

I can expand on this if you want (but I have to go now so sorry)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I don't have any idea where Monodominant got that Background outline, was that something you provided us OasysMaster? Because I hate waiting for a "use it, don't use it" answer, I just went ahead and used it for my char background (posted here and in my sheet). Added a picture to my sheet for now, but will update it when I find a more appropriate one.

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!

Jake Smith was born to Harrison and Emily Smith in a small farming community just outside of the capital city. While Harrison owned and ran a farm, his skill as an artisan blacksmith has been the primary income for the family. Proceeds from his craft afford the hired hands who both live on and maintain the majority of the farm. As a boy, Jake would sit with his father for long hours in the forge and dream of slaying dragons and saving princesses. It is no wonder that Jake left home to join the military at the young age of 16...

For many years, Jake served as a private in the local militia. He saw service in two minor wars and with his tactical and martial knowledge has found himself easily employed in the years since he has left the service. Jake often seeks out employment where "muscle" with a "bit more brains" is needed.

Jake believes strongly in the values of family and honor. Despite his outspoken views, Jake rarely talks of his family or his time before military service.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.

From an early age Jake has dreamed of being a hero. Not content with the life of a smith or the life of a farmer, he played with swords, slaying fantastical beasties and saving princesses. "Jake Smith, Hero of the Nine Caverns and Ender of Slavery" he would often name himself. The goals of the child are the hardest to fade, and within these dreams Jake's true values are founded.
    Jake seeks out injustice and attempts to right it. When it is not served by fate or law, the steel of his blade provides a sturdy place from which to serve justice.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

Jake Smith's family have disowned him. Despite Jake's strong sense of Honor, as a young man he spat in the face of his father and joined the militia without his consent. When he grew older and left the service, he returned home to ask for forgiveness. His father reluctantly took him back in, but upon the rising Sun, enemies of Jake's arrived on the farm. Jake slew his foes, but not at the cost of his Father's love, he was disowned once again never allowed to return.

During Jake Smith's time in the militia he was a patrolling guard outside of the Dragons Swallow, an inactive Dragons Den who's cave-mouth is guarded year-round. Jake twice caught a halfling Bard trying to sneak in, on both encounters this Bard dodged being held by excusing his actions with his extreme desire for folk-lore... There is more to this story than meets the eye

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

(friendly) Barnicus Black - Human Self Proclaimed "Business Man"
    Barniscus first met Jake during his military service. They first met whole Jake was assigned to a trade caravan heading out of the main city and south to resupply the line against the Orc territory. Barnicus first planted the seed of finding more "lucrative" work with Jake's skills and ultimately hired Jake on his first job after leaving the service.

(friendly, deceased) Winston West - Human Proprietor
    Winston West, father of 4, widowed Lana West upon his passing. Winston hired Jake to protect him during the influx of outsiders several Summers ago. Winston had a tendency toward privacy and made a habit of asking Jake to stand outside of rooms he was in. One such day, Winston asked Jake to watch the door and slipped out through a window right into the hands of the men he saught protection from. He was found that night crucified and burning outside of town.

(enemy, at least unfriendly) Yurif Ll'awan - Elf Druid
    Enemy to Winston West, a local proprietor who was the main driving force of local clear cutting. During these excavations, Winston's crew destroyed holy land that Yurif's clan had worshiped for centuries. Killing Winston as revenge for the desecration, Yurif found himself at the top of Jake's ****-list. Being a druid, Yurif is mostly "off the radar" and hasn't made enough waves to regain the attention of Jake.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

The veins in his neck pulsates as a slight wheeze emits from his labored breathing. The tension in Jake's words resemble nails scraping a chalkboard as he answers the question, "Because, young one, that is the way of things..." he says. "Why?" asks the young halfling completing a score of Whys. Despite the will to crush this Iron Willed adversary, Jake manages a meek smile. "A curious one aren't we?" he states as he folds an oiled cloth over the edge of his freshly sharpened blade
    ---------------------------
    Upon realizing that he'd been played, Jake turned to the con-artist and proclaimed "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..." [pause] "You can't fool me again!" at which time a passer-by promptly removed his shoe and threw it directly at Jake's head.
    ---------------------------
    Waiting for his friends to return, Jake pulled loose the fastening strap of his scabbard. Thumbing the strap he began to ponder the benefits of this fateful paring. Snapping it closed and pulling it loose again over and over he counts money yet payed and fantasizes of settling down near-by his home village.

First shaking his head at the sorcerer, Jake breaks his glare and looks onto Pharrin, "Sir Pharrin, I find the mayor's tale of the returning adventurers dissatisfying... is there more information you can tell us of the swamps ahead? Let us hope that there is no Den of Purple Worms just ahead, as that would be most unfortunate." Jake raises his voice slightly at the last sentence as to suggest to Welby that running ahead of the group may be ill-advised... After a moment to be sure that his message has sunk in, Jake continues, "It was said that no one thought to tell the children to stay away from the swamp, which suggests to me that you have not held this settlement long... How long have you been here?"
    Last edited by FireSickle; 2011-01-10 at 03:25 PM.
    -sig-

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

[OOC: Background + Appearance]
    Spoiler
    Show

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character.

Dranga came from an averagely well-to-do family of dwarves; while not many dwarves become wizards in her community and her family expressed confusion over her choice, they were relieved that she would still pay respect to her elders - traditionally warriors and bards - and her family.

She views magic as an abstract object to be manipulated and painted onto the canvas of reality, so her views of wizardry and sorcery are different from what others might think: wizards study an art, and sorcerers have the inborn talent for the art. Thus, both are equally capable with manipulation of the art - in this case, magic. She also has differing views on elves than her family, seeing them as equals instead of "fancy-prance elves".

She, like the rest of her family, holds necromancy in high disdain. According to Dranga, "you can't be respectin' the dead if their bones are walkin' right beside ye".

Unlike the rest of her family, Dranga loves to explore and research things, especially monstrous creatures, myths and various flavors of arcane information.

A friend Dranga met on one of her explorations was transformed using baleful magic, before she could cast a powerful enough spell to return his shape. He ended up dying to a trap set by a hunter.

Dranga's primary goal is to attain mastery over arcane transformations, but her first goal is to simply become more powerful than she currently is.

Freebie: Dranga is actually female.

She never actually banned herself from practicing necromancy, even though she and her family feel very strongly against it. While she won't be raising ghouls, she'd be "transforming" powerful enemies into less powerful enemies by sapping their strength with it.

Her friend is not actually dead, but was instead wounded badly; the hunter that found him freed him and managed to find him enough help to return his natural shape.

Lydagan Boarfist, a dwarven monk who enjoys fine drink along with his normally meager rations. Lydagan was one of Dranga's childhood friends and also pursued an unusual career for a dwarf; they left their community at about the same time, but after the first adventure together, they parted ways. They later met again and pursued a hag in a forest; Dranga thought Lydagan dead after he was transformed into a rabbit, then wounded by a hunting trap.

Selan Capsica, an elf fighter. She and Dranga often butted heads over how to procede on adventures - Selan had little patience for diplomatic or creative solutions, preferring to apply combat to almost every situation she came upon. Dranga once threatened to turn Selan into a roach if she did not show more patience; shortly after, the adventuring group fell apart.

Tormore, another dwarf wizard. Originally a friend, he and Dranga became something of rivals, when Tormore suddenly turned to summoning fiendish powers to get a leg up on Dranga. Ever since, Dranga feels uneasy whenever fiends or underworld powers are mentioned, unsure of whether Tormore is behind them and thus, still alive.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

Dranga dislikes dealing with any otherworldly powers, even celestials. She finds the idea of a being composed entirely of an ideal to be something of an odd subject, and doesn't quite understand how it would work. She also has a dislike for dragons, but that's mostly because one first tried to extort her community, then tried to eat it.

Creeping through the Underdark to get away from Tormore, Dranga passed by a troupe of Mind Flayers, who she swore had actually seen her, but they hurried by regardless. Confused, she waited for a moment, then heard a series of hideous screams and shouts, one of which she would swear was Tormore.

Graduating from her tutorship and having none but her tutor to congratulate her - her family was largely disinterested in her choice of career, and so give little weight to the accomplishments she makes in it.

Appearance:

Stout, with shoulder-length brown, curly locks of hair. Her nose is somewhat flat and her chin somewhat wide, giving her the appearance of being rather big for her size, even though she's nearly half the height of a human. She wears a brown furred and hooded cloak and robe, along with several bangles (decorative, nonmagical rings, earrings and the like). She wears fine black jackboots of elven make, and carries a large crossbow slung over her back.

Edit: Actually, she looks a lot like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Dranga smirks at Welby's remarks on wizardry, but turns to the townspeople and introduces herself.

"I am Dranga Skaldsdotter, a wizard. I'll help look for your children as well," she says, calmly. "We'll bring them back safe, don't worry." she adds, trying to assure the people.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-01-10 at 03:53 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Are we supposed to be posting our backgrounds out in the open IC thread here?)

A slim elven figure detaches himself quietly from the group, emerging from the shadows. Garbed in dark grey padded armor, the figure is thin as a twig, and his bony fingers twirl a dagger idly as a rapier and longsword bump at his hips. Intense emerald eyes follow the conversation's exchange thoughtfully.

"Of courssssse, only after we are given proper....compenssssation," Snake adds as an afterthought to Dranga's remark. The long, forked reptilian tongue flicking out of his mouth shows where he got his nickname from.

12. - Top - End - #12

OOC: I believe our DM didnt make an OOC post, and in any case these are just the opening posts so we can have some clatter here. As for this background "tool" its something I have been using in other forums for quick background production.

Picture wise something like this with more red
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pharrin appears a little confused about Welby's comments on wizards and the Robe, but his grief and worry are far more pressing than some miscommunication.
    Turning to Jake, the halfling bows honorably, and doffs a worn hat, "This settlement-Half Moon Row-has been here over 200 years! And the swamp is supposedly smaller than it used be 75 years ago! The children never seemed interested in the swamp, even though it was so close. It's smelly and ugly, not very interesting as a place to play!"
    The halfling actually makes a double-take upon taking a good look at Dranga-he's heard stories about dwarven women, but they'd always been the OPPOSITE of what he sees right now.
    "Thank you kindly! And I'm sure the mayor will come up with a way to thank you all! And if he doesn't the entire town will pitch in!"
    Pharrin looks plainly distressed to see Snake's tongue, and shivers a little. But in he meets his eyes, and bows to him as well.
    "Your actions will not be forgotten by Half Moon Row."

Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: Are we supposed to be posting our backgrounds out in the open IC thread here?)
    Yes, just place them in Spoilers.

Monodominant, your picture isn't showing up.

Good roleplaying everyone-I hope you all can keep it up.

o_O, I just realized Dranga is a woman as well! I thought Daina was the only one! Time for some retcons!

And TIPOT, Trevor's backstory is fine.

Addressing the party as a group, Pharrin points to a young elf maiden who steps forward, "She can best describe the situation as a whole."
    Curtsying politely, the elf tells her story, "I brought my sister to the elm trees to play with the other children eight days ago... And then I left to run some errands. When I returned with my friends-they were simply gone! Then, the same night, we heard screams coming from the swamp, they were the screams of the children! I heard my sister calling my name!"
    She shudders, a trembling hand gesturing to the swamp.
    "The first party, of a wizard, some warriors and a bard appeared the next day. At first, we were suspicious, but they seemed honest enough! So we decided they were better suited. The screams continued every night and day until the fourth day, when they changed! The screams of men and women joined them! And then, around midnight-they stopped all at once. And this morning, the wizard and one of the warriors ran from the swamp, saying terrible, terrible things! And then they were gone! And now you're here!"
    Daina steps forward, "You don't have to worry-we'll do our best!"

Master Pharrin

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs49/f/20...acil_stock.jpg <-The maiden.

[Alright, so what's it gonna be? Into the swamp and onwards, or is there anymore you guys need to know? ]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Derjuin, where'd you find your picture for Dranga?]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

[It's from Complete Mage, it's the fluff picture for Master Specialist]

"Troubling, for the screams to suddenly go silent. We should leave soon, if we're to rescue them." She says, turning to the rest of the group as she finishes. "I'm all set to go, so long as everyone else is."
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-01-10 at 05:56 PM.
    Morning Star

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

did you see that face-tatoo on the maiden?! No chick has a face tatoo like that and is not evil... If you ask me, this whole town are undead beings luring us into a giant Barbeque pit, I bet they slap some Molasses on us right before we head down the path and say "Its all in good taste sirs."

Jake rubs his chin briefly in thought. Satisfied with that answer, "Thank you fine miss." After briefly taking in the sight of each unfortunate townfolk, Jake turns to his companions and says "Marching order?"
    -sig-

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Of no importance in the swamp, preparing a marching order for the Tomb of Horrors might be a good idea-if you even get inside!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    The swamp IS smelly, but it doesn't appear to be any different from any other swamp. Having left the town behind, the party is reassured by a sure, straight path that leads through the waters.
    "In fact..." Daina muses, "I'd almost say its suspiciously well maintained for a path through a swamp..."
    Suddenly, the swamp comes to an end, after only an hour and a half of walking, qith the path continuing straight into a line of dead trees.
    "Elms."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jake suggests he be either in the direct front or back of the main line with 1 or 2 scouts several feet ahead.
    -sig-

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Does the party continue along the path? They can still turn back.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jake thinks back to the ring of Elm trees by the path leading in... Were those trees dead like these are?
    -sig-

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Dranga will stand near the back of the line, though she will ask if anyone wants to be behind her. If no one, then she'll bring up the rear of it.
    Morning Star

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC/Background)
    Spoiler
    Show

Average, that's the best way to describe Bob. You would be less surprised to find Bob behind a counter anywhere in the world, as opposed to being in an adventuring party. He's of average height, though seems smaller due to his slight build and permanant slouch. Nervous though, as if he's completely out of is element. His dream is to own a magic shop somewhere quiet...and he figured the best way to develop an inventory is to find it

Lots and lots of magic items, for the shop, ya know. My personal goal is to survive this dungeon with a sub-optimal character, using my wits...though I won't be upset if I die horribly. It's 1/2 the fun :D

His secret? He's not quite as average as he makes himself out to be, he's pretty healthy :D...A secret he doesn't know? His aunt's husband's brother's cousin's grandfather's daughter-in-law is secretly 1/10th elven

Nope, no allies or enemies, even he if had them, they'd forget about him pretty quickly, he's pretty ordinary

He's constantly glancing in every direction at once, as though he's worried something nasty will pop out of a corner if he isn't looking for it. Loud noises will cause him to jump and scream like a little girl. If faced with more then three monsters of equal CR or greater, his first action is to run away...err...make a tactical retreat

"Err...yeah..our best...sure," Bob says, trying to sound confidant. This party has lasted longer then his other adventuring party...but it sounds like something carnivorous is lurking out in that swamp...and it's hard to run in mud.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The ones outside the swamp were VERY old, but very much alive. These elms are black with age-there are no leaves on the ground. Simply black sand and pebbles.
    -------------
    Yeah, elms growing out of sand. That's not foreboding at ALL.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Anyone got Detect Magic? Or better yet, a spell called 'Why did I sign up for this'?" Jake mutters staring at the trees ahead.
    -sig-

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"I do indeed have Detect Magic," Dranga says, making a gesture in the air, uttering a phrase of power and casting the cantrip; a moment later, her eyes begin to glow.

"It might be a good idea to cast another spell, too..." she says, rummaging in her pouch for a piece of cured leather. "Mage Armor."

After her spell finishes, Dranga looks about the swamp for anything magical in nature.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-01-10 at 06:17 PM.
    Morning Star

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

OOC : Whatever we do, we shouldn't split up to cover more ground

The dwarf, having stayed silent up until now fianlly speaks up (imagine a gruff. scotish sounds voice) "Is everyone ready for action? I'm getting a bad feeling from this, so I'll send a monkey in too check it out."

Cast summon monster 1 to summon a celestial monkey, have said monkey investigate the sand and climb a tree

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bob will pull his Wand of Scorching Ray and his Wand of Augury and look around for anything out of the ordinary

28. - Top - End - #28

The halfling looks suspiciously at the creature appearing suddenly from thin air and also huffs more childisly than angrily at the wizard casting her spells.

"Hey Dwarf! I see your monkey and I'll raise you a DONKEY" he says and laughs softly at the perceived hillarity of his joke!

With that he has one his trained dogs to herd the first of the two pack donkeys that survived the purple worm forward.

The dog barks happily and the donkey moves forward towards the sand not wishing to deal with the dog.

"So, assuming Donkey survives I can go first. I dont mean to brag my good friends, and wizard, but I am essentially invincible! I once even killed a Beholder with my ultimate spell. (rolling for bluff)."
    On that note he starts casting a series of spells occasionally stopping to look at the Wizard and then throwing some random words to cause confusion to anyone trying to understand what he is casting.

{Mage armor and Stoneskin}

" And now " He yells " Its time for the most amazing thing you have ever seen. On the count of three I shall become a proud member of the master race" with an even more playfull look at the wizard.

"One. Two.... Two and a Half... THREE" {Alter Self to : - Grig (page 235 MM) }

And suddenly with a small pop and fizzle where the small 3 foot halfling was standing there appears to be nothing. After a second and a better look they hear the now much lower volume voice of the Welby

"I AM DOWN HERE! SEE I CAN FLY! HURRAY!" The creature still retains the outlook of the halfling but now it has become even smaller, more or less a 1 foot tall and has sprouted wings and has blue skin that looks slightly tougher. After buzzing around for a little while laughing on his own he lands on the head of the other trained dog who has seen this happen many times before and has learned to simply accept his deranged master.

Spoiler
    Show

My AC now is: 26/Touch 25/Flat 19. Size is tiny so further difficulty to be spotted and fly 40 and racial feat dodge as well as natural armor +2

Also roll for the bluff:

(1d20+19)[25]
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-01-10 at 07:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[I'll let the PCs decide whether or not they believe Welby's boast, but Daina does look impressed.]
    In the first minute of concentrating, Dranga detects the presence and pervading nature of magic along the path they've traveled, and beginning on the edge of the swamp touching the forest of elms. In the next minute, she is able to discern the epic nature of the magic that hangs over the elm forest. She cannot discern the source, but her spell does reveal that she is only at the very edge of a massive aura of magic. The effect of such powerful magic actually leaves Dranga feeling a little woozy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bob's wielding choice and the casting of Mage Armor are duly noted. As are Welby's spells.

Trevor's spell works perfectly... to an extent, the monkey appears in a puff of smoke and the smells of a tropical jungle.
    Scamperinng around and hooting, it greets the party pleasantly.
    When the dwarf gestures for the monkey to investigate the sand and trees, it bares its teeth and screams, jumping up and down in rage. The monkey refuses to leave the path and disappears in another puff of smoke.
    [The Summon spell is not considered used. Keep it in your slot list]
    The donkey leaps forward but stays on the path, as do the hounds, as Welby urges them amongst the trees, the donky and hounds appear to set aside their differences, and appear to be huddling together as they move forward, whining piteously and braying in dismay.
    Daina takes a deep breath, "That's... strange... I say we should press on, stay alert and stay on the path, I'll take lead."
    Stringing her bow, Daina sets forward, and arrow set to the string, following the donkey and the hounds.
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-10 at 07:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy