New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Tomb of Horrors

Of course, you can always enter one of the tunnels at random and see what happens.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yellow Crosshairs still indicate any uncovered entrances
    The Cyan Circle indicates Daina and Jake's position.
    The Pink Circle indicates the rest of the party.
    The Blue Circle indicates Welby and Snake.
    And Harley is digging away alone at the East Tunnel.
    Hmm, I was hoping to atleast get inside by today...
    Oh well, available from 9 tomorrow. G'night.
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-12 at 10:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seeing as the night had not yet come the little halfling abandoned his guard post momentarily to relief himself and get something to eat. He did not really need food, ever since that little comet had somehow landed on his head and started to spin around in lazy circles but it still felt nice to eat.

It was during that fatefull... peeing that he found the entrance to the third tunnel and alerted the rest of the team.

Once everyone was gathered after the "excavation" of the first tunnel he smiled and looked around.

"Lets split up and explore each one! Thats what my father used to do with his adventuring buddies..." he paused "... and thats why he died! hahahah" he laughed and turned to the already open site.

"I guess I can check if there is any magic in there apart from the magical emanation around the hill itself but about traps and all that I cant do much without the donkey!" he said and went to have a look after a short preparation.

Spoiler
    Show

I am once again casting shield and alter self to pixie (mage armor should be still on) and stoneskin since we will be sleeping soon anyway. Additionally if I understand correctly going into "gaseous form" should not trigger the dormant effect right? its nor summoning nor a "natural" thing correct?

Regardless, he will enter the first tunnel and look around (either as a gas or as a pixie) casting detect magic and focusing for the full 3 rounds to get a maximum reading. Additionally he will do a preliminary search but he will not touch anything (including the ground by the use of flying or floating) at all.

(1d20+3)[12] - search
    (1d20+4)[7] - spot

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-01-13 at 07:20 AM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Additionally if I understand correctly going into "gaseous form" should not trigger the dormant effect right? its nor summoning nor a "natural" thing correct?
    The logic is sound, but there's only one way to find out if the original caster(s) of the spell agree with your line of thinking. =P

As Welby makes the transformation into the form of a pixie, nothing significant takes place. As he hovers within the confines of the tunnel, he detects the overwhelming epic magic that Dranga felt earlier, and gets a little dizzy as well. As he ends the spell, the feeling fades away however, and Welby's less-magical search shows nothing.
    [So, Detect Magic, Spot and Search revealed nothing.]

5. - Top - End - #125

After a suitable time has passed and he feels confident there is nothing else he can discover he exits the cavern and returns to the others.

Momentarily he considers giving them an all clear for sheer comedic effect but after seeing the powerful magic in the area decides not to joke around that much.

"Okay, there does not seem to be any magical essence apart from the ever present overbearing one that infuses the whole area nor did I notice anything out of place with a first glance. Perhaps someone more talented at all this clandestine business could also have a look?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

he exits the cavern
    It's not a cavern; it's a masterworked tunnel made of granite stones, perfectly smooth and so well joined one cannot fit a knife between them.
    Daina regards Welby curiously, "If you don't mind me asking, how did your father die?"
    Harley keeps digging.

7. - Top - End - #127

"Dont mind at all" said the halfling with a smirk "He died knowing that his son would become what he never could. He also died happy as he died along with my mother. Lastly they died from a fire, a great big fire" he paused and it was as if a sorrowful dark cloud passed over him.

"They were both wizards you know" he said with a leer.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I thought you said he died while adventuring with his buddies and splitting up?

9. - Top - End - #129

"That is true also. My mom and he were adventuring together with a couple of other halfling heroes. They were actually looking for a creature that was terrorising their village community.

They split into groups of two, mom and dad went together, and searched the wooded area around the village. During the middle of the night they saw flames rise in the sky from the side of the village and they rushed back. Unfortunately they met their tragic end there as well. But they were wizards so lets be honest it was kind of expected..."
    The voice of the halfling does not tremble nor quiver as he tells the story and is almost completely impassionate, only the smallest trace of sorrow can be heard by someone with high empathy.

"What about you? Are your parents alive?"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yup. They're thieves-taught me everything I know!" She beams proudly. "My father was a courtier would infiltrate noble houses to siphon off their riches and my mother crafted custom pick sets. If there was a lock that needed opening-my mother would have the key! I wouldn't be the woman I am today without 'em!"

11. - Top - End - #131

"I share the same sentiment in a way. If it was not for them I would also not be what I am today he.he.he." said the pixie sized halfling without actually laughing.

"So since we will be making camp soon wanna see some fireworks?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Is that some kind of halfling pickup line?"

13. - Top - End - #133

"Whats a pick up line?" said Welby looking at her curiously!

"I mean that since we will sleep after and I dont feel that accomplished for the day I can expend the gifts of the dragons in a fiery display that will make everyone happy"

Spoiler
    Show

I am leaving work now and I have language courses so more posts from me in about 4 hours when I get home

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-01-13 at 10:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Daina laughs, "Fireworks would be fine."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Not being very skilled in searching for traps, Dranga decides to stay back for now, opting to see Welby's fireworks show. "If we decide to sleep near, or on, the hill tonight, I can provide some measure of housing for us, a tiny sphere of a hut perhaps containing an extradimensional pocket." she says.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From the tunnel Snake and Harley are digging into, Dranga hears Harley call out, "A roof over our heads would be nice. Can we get a hand over here?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Dranga turns around and heads toward the tunnel being excavated. "What kind of aid can I lend?" She says when she's within conversing distance with Harley. "With nighttime coming soon, I could take the form of a magical creature that may be able to make digging faster, if you have two extra shovels."

[Would taking the form of a girallon actually speed up digging, considering one has four arms and a lot more strength than I currently have?]
    Morning Star

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Actually, yeah-that works.
    But there won't be enough time to dig the Centre Tunnel unless you want to do it in the dark...]
    Harley looks a little nervous about testing the ward's capabilities again, nonetheless, he reaches into his pack and pulls out yet another two shovels, handing them to Dranga.
    As Dranga makes the transformation into the powerful girallon, everyone looks up nervously to see what will happen.
    Nothing.
    With the extra arms and muscle, Dranga, with Harley and Snake's help make short work of the remaining dirt in the tunnel.

Two separate doors are dimly visible at the end of this roughly worked, plain stone corridor.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think I'm beginning to notissssse a pattern here," Snake hisses thoughtfully, breathing hard as he throws aside his shovel. "Thissss Assssererak guy definitely hassss a Thing for sssskullssss."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Girallon-Dranga sets her shovels down and becomes a dwarf again, her eyes fixed to the doorframes the trio has just uncovered. "Is this...writing?" she says, looking over the symbols along the top of the frame. "Read Magic, just in case it's magical," she mumbles, her eyes glowing for a moment as she tries to interpret the language, if any.

[Dranga knows Common, Dwarven, Abyssal and Draconic, if the symbols are intelligible to her at all]
    Morning Star

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Read Magic spell is ineffective; the runes are simply decorative gold symbols inserted into the shapes cut into the stone.
    Daina peers into the newly excavated tunnel, "What do you think is in there?"
    Shrugging, Harley takes his shovels back from Dranga, "Only what you take with you." He smiles wryly.

22. - Top - End - #142

Welby decides to wait a bit more and smiles at his "crowd". Firstly he has a look at the new location and performs the same actions as before and then comes out again

Spoiler
    Show

Detect magic
    Look around without touching while flying above ground

(1d20+3)[5] search
    (1d20+4)[11] spot

If nothing is found continue with the following

"I see a diffrent pattern... first one door... now two doors... let me guess when we uncover the third entrance it will have three doors" he says and looks at the others before continuing.

"Lets relax a bit though... " and on that note he extendes his hands theatrically.

Colorful pigeons made of brilliant energy burst forth from his fingers and soar to the sky and gather in a formation creating the letter W. As the others look at the sky he pulls back his hands and blows on his palm after taking a small item in his hand and a red marble soars as well towards the W. The moment it touches the doves it explodes into a large ball of fire making the night like day for a few moments.

The show continues as lights appear in the sky chased by what looks like some flowers in formation and ends up with one more ball of fire.

Spoiler
    Show

seeing as we will be resting I empty my arsenal just before we do (I expect we create the hamlet OUTSIDE the hill as it does not seem a wise idea to risk it regardless of the actual effects that trigger the ward.

The light show happens after Dranga creates the house or what not.

It is essentially three magic missile castings (if you will allow Welby's MM to take the shape of doves made from brilliant energy for the fluff of it) followed by a fireball.

Subsequently a few castings of prestigitation and light again followed by a fireball.

Lastly before going to sleep I will cast an extended mage armor

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Welby's Detect Magic, Spot and Search checks reveal nothing.
    Welby's magical display draws a grunt of approval from Harley and applause from Daina.
    So... no digging in the dark?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

(sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I have had a lot of unexpected business to take care of)

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+16)[35]

(could I have been digging the center tunnel, since I was unavoidably detained for the last day and 1/2?)

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Well since you're sorry I guess I can rule that Bob has been digging since Welby peed on the tunnel. Though why Welby would be peeing where everyone would be digging escapes me. =P
    Still, clearing out a tunnel is no easy task, and Bob has only cleared a quarter of the passage...
    So guys, what's it gonna be? Are you gonna keep diggin' in the dark? And if so, what light sources do you make use of? Or shall I just proceed through the night into the morning?

Oh, and despite that epic roll, Bob doesn't Spot anything.
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-13 at 05:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

OOC: Well according to initial post we had been marching today before arriving to the village, then we came to the swamp and searched around, then found the hill and some of the entrances so I do think it has been a full day. We can call it a night rather than risk inviting attention during the night.

Also welby went to pee and then found the third entrance... not the other way around :). It was the disappearing... substance that lead to him noticing the opening.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

lol Okay, gotta be specific. How does Dranga intend to create this "sphere of a hut" for her companions? I see nothing on her Character Sheet...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

[Shadow Evocation: Leomund's Tiny Hut , unless you want to say that it can't recreate that spell, or I have an outdated PHB and Tiny Hut was turned into a Conjuration spell]
    Morning Star

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Hmmmm, I'll allow it. But it does raise an interesting question, the sphere ISN'T it's just an illusion... I wonder what would happen if I made it rain and Dranga told some of the party that the sphere was an illusion. Since they have no reason not to disbeliev her they'd stop believing... So some people would get rained on and others wouldn't... lol]
    Dranga uses her Shadow Evocation to create the "Tiny Hut". As the party enters the Hut, Daina makes a point of placing her bed roll as far from Harley as possible.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    was in the hospital wednesday night and yesterday, will take me some time to catch up on this thread...

Jake follows everyone's lead.
    -sig-