New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Tomb of Horrors

I could've sworn I'd posted again last night...
    ...the night passes without any incident, and at 9:00 in the morning, the party should be ready to begin their day anew.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Even before the sun rises Welby has gotten up and is zooming around but trying not to wake the others.

Studying the house he has figured out that something is strange about it and as such he has examined it numerous times touching it and in general interacting with it.

Momentarily he thinks of dispelling it to see what happens but decides against it in the end.

When eventually the sun rises he opens the door wide and yells

"RISE AND SHINE PEOPLE! WE GOT A DEMILICH AND HIS CHILD ABDUCTING AND CHILD KILLING MINIONS TO BAG AND TAG!"
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Harley leaves the Hut first, cheerfully greeting Welby. Plainly, he's a morning person.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Dranga rolls over, then sits up and yawns. When her eyes adjust to being open, she searches for her spellbook and begins her morning study. Something akin to "G'mornin..." sort of halfway-rumbles out of her mouth.

[I'm going to keep the same spell list as the previous day; in fact, it can be assumed each day I'll do that unless I specifically say I'm preparing different spells ]
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Daina wakes up and its clear she is NOT a morning person. Cursing, she gets dressed and stumbles out of the Hut. "So, what are we gonna do? Finish the last tunnel? Or enter one of 'em?"

6. - Top - End - #156

"Since the two so far have no additional signs of magic and noone has been able to find traps around them or anything to that effect I suggest we clear the third passage before making an informed decision! Perhaps its a riddle or something! First we found 1 tunnel with 1 door... then another tunnels with 2 doors... the third tunnel will have 3 doors and we will go down the middle one! Brilliant is it not?" said the halfling and stopped to breath.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jake agrees with Welby's sentiment, "I feel that we should clear the remaining tunnel before we try making an entrance. Perhaps each of these doors leads to different level or area of the Dungeon, or perhaps they are hexed and a riddle awaits our brilliant minds to solve?"

Jake is wide awake and after taking a moment to see that their camp site was undisturbed, he will go back to clearing the remaining tunnel with Harley.

[Search](1d20)[11]+7
    -sig-

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I agree, lets see what our options are before we go into one of these tunnels" Bob is still tired, and wishing he got more rest. In more more restful area at that. But the lure of magical trinkets overrides the fear he feels.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jake's search check reveals nothing new, but an hour of determined digging finally clears the third tunnel...
    Brilliant colors are everywhere; pigments painted on stone are undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor is a colorful mosaic, featuring a distinct, winding path of red tiles forming a 2-foot-wide, meandering trail south down the corridor. A few chips and gaps reveal that cement or plaster covers the underlying stonework of the corridor, and it mostly provides a smooth surface for the many illustrated scenes.

[Sigh, nobody got my Star Wars reference. =(]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

((I didn't even see a Star Wars reference...))

Snake frowns curiously. "Hmmm...Sssso thisss iss it?" he hisses thoughtfully, carefully examining the area as he steps forward.

Search - (1d20+16)[30]
    Last edited by Tyrael; 2011-01-14 at 10:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

30 feet into the tunnel, Snake discovers a trapdoor.
    By stepping on it.
    As he hears the trapdoor shift, Snake looks down to see himself squarely standing atop it a 10 foot square with slotted edges. With red tiles that make up part of pattern on the corridor floor.
    The door appears to be jammed or stuck, as Snake's weight doesn't cause it to open and there are no handles that he can see.

Snake finds something...

Some notes about this map...
    What do you guys think? I told you they'd get better. And I'm gonna make an official little Oasys Master's Tomb of Horrors compass rose.
    Also, this map is to scale considering the terrain.
    The "tokens" are not.
    I plan to re-upload this map later with properly-sized tokens, as they now indicate that one man takes up a 10x10 area. But that's for tomorrow.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Snake leaps back, spitting out a hiss-mangled curse in Elven. "Thank godsss thesse trapsss look dessigned for human weight...." he mutters.

Looking back to his companions, he waves them forward as he carefully steps off the trap. "Let'sss keep moving, but ssstay off the red path," he orders.

13. - Top - End - #163

Welby followed behind the weirdly speaking elf cheerfully after performing his usual spell series

Spoiler
    Show

Mage armor is still active from last night, casting alter self and stoneskin.

"Before we go this way, can you check the other two entrances for traps as well? Way I see it, the more traps a place has the more likely to be the actual entrance. We havent checked the other entrances though for normal traps, only for magical."It is then that he notices the bright colors and intricate inscriptions and pictures on the walls.

"WOW! This place is awesome! The other two were very plain and lame!"

He focuses for a few seconds and opens his gleaming eyes checking for any additional magical auras like he did in the previous tunnels.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Harley follows Snake as well, examining the floor and murals with interest.
    He and Welby can both appreciate the realism and vibrant colours of the corridor walls. The images depict fields with cattle grazing, a copse with several wolves in the background, slaves—human, orc, elven, and strange humananimal mixtures of pig-human, ape-human, and dog-human—going about various tasks. Certain frescoes are more focused and show rooms of some building—a library filled with many books and scrolls, a torture chamber, and a wizard’s work room. Chairs, windows, boxes, bales, doors, chests, birds, bats, spiders, and all manner of things appear on the walls.
    [These can be examined a little more closely if you so wish.]
    When Snake moves off the trapdoor, nothing happens.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, the word "trapdoor" has such a negative connotation in roleplaying games. It might just be a hidden passage? =P Some notes about the map-I will be updating it shortly, everything to scale. And to my surprise, I've found a 3D model of this adventure! I will see how I can make use of it... Oh, about the maps, I won't be slowly showing more of it as the game proceeds-only what is immediately visible will be depicted in the most current map. If you so wish, you can have a character do recording to make a complete master map.
    Oh, I'm searching the rules for how many characters can fit in one square... it seems to be a max of two medium to a 5x5 if they're friendly... So, in a ten by ten, 8 medium characters max? o_O
    Oh well, bunch up guys, a Halo-style TPK would be rather amusing.

Daina turns to Dranga and Jake and Bob, "Welby's right-let's check out the East tunnel. If James and Trevor wake up anytime soon, we can split up into three groups and explore each one.
    Welby's preusal for magic brings up nothing-it appears that while within the confines of "the Tomb", the magical aura's mind-affecting powers are muted.

Shall we "Split the Party?"
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-15 at 10:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What light sources are being used?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I think we should consult the oracles before we enter further," he will then use his wand of augury and ask the question, what will happen if we go down this tunnel, for all three tunnels

Spoiler
    Show
    UMD rolls for each question
    (1d20+19)[32]
    (1d20+19)[25]
    (1d20+19)[34]
    (1d20+19)[22]
    (1d20+19)[37]

put up a few in case I got a one

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Daina looks impressed as Bob consults the Wand, "I've always wanted one of those!"
    As Bob stands before the East Tunnel, the Wand gives the following reading, "Woe! DOOM! DEATH! DESTRUCTION! Woe!"
    At the Centre Tunnel, "Woe and Weal! DOOM! DANGER! DEATH! DESTRUCTION! GLORY! TREASURE! POWER! RICHES! DESTINY! DOOM! DANGER! DEATH! DESTRUCTION! Woe and Weal!"
    And finally, at the West Tunnel, "Woe and Weal! DOOM! DANGER! DEATH! DESTRUCTION! A BETRAYAL REVEALED! POSSIBLE PLOT EXPOSITION! FORESHADOWING! DOOM! DANGER! DEATH! DESCTRUCTION! Woe and Weal!"
    Only Bob hears these readings, and can share them with the rest of the party at his own discretion.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

The augury has spoken!" Bob, proclaims as dramatically as he can. "Basically, the east tunnel is doom, the central tunnel is doom and treasure, and the west tunnel is also doom, with a bit of information of some sort. All in all, we're doomed" A grimace passes across his face as he finishes.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Daina's face pales, "So... Avoid the west tunnel... Do you think the east one has information on those children? Can you use the Wand to ask where they are?"

20. - Top - End - #170

"The way I see it" replied the halfling "if we have to deal with doom, doom with treasure and plain doom again... its kind of obvious that we should go for doom and treasure! I vote we go down the center!"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

"Information? If it's on the children, I believe we ought to head that way..." Dranga muses. "Though the threat of 'doom' looms down all three paths, the west one might lead us to our goal the quickest."
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Harley stops, and nods, "Yeh, we hef teh find me daughters!" He begins rummaging in his pack and pulls out a torch, and lights it. With this in hand, he begins to make his way to the West Tunnel.

23. - Top - End - #173

"Okay... if there is a chance to learn something about the children lets go for the west one. But be careful, we have not checked it out for any traps and that type of thing. Perhaps Snake can help"
    Said the halfling and joined them towards the western tunnel.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, Harley, Daina and Welby are entering the West Tunnel, while Bob uses his Wand again? And is Snake going to keep going into the Centre Tunnel?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

ooc
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry I wasn't around this weekend, drove a few states south to see my brother off, he ships out to Army Basic Training tomorrow morning. I just rolled in, i will catch up on the thread and post by tomorrow morning sometime.
    -sig-

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

After what appears to be praying to his stick. Bob decides to go down the west tunnel, keeping his distance from the rest of the party. He puts his wand of augury away into his quiver and pulls out his everburning torch from his haversack.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Alright, I'll give a chance for Snake and Jake to make their decisions. I want to know the exact party compositions if you guys decide to split up. Also, it'll give a chance for Trevor or James to make an appearance...
    ><
    It's really gonna suck if you guys get TPKd because two party members are "asleep"...
    Furthermore, if you guys could come up with a standard traveling order, or something, I'd appreciate it.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Snake proceeds into the center tunnel daringly, reaching into his pack and pulling out a Sunrod to light his way. The seasoned elven Rogue seems to fade in and out of the shadows as he stays off the red path, studying the ground ahead of him carefully for any more trapdoors.

Search - (1d20+16)[30]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! BADASS, right here!]
    Not even 10 feet away from the first trapdoor, Snake discovers another one! This time on the west wall, (diagonal to the right of the first one).
    Avoiding this one, Snake is now 60 feet into the tunnel. The light illuminates the western wall of the entry corridor of the tomb, where a torture chamber is painted. This portion of the fresco illustrates an iron door that evidently confines some sort of a horrid creature (its clawed and scaled hands grasp the bars of its small window) that can be loosed to torment prisoners.
    On the western wall of the entry corridor of the tomb, north of the torture chamber, a wizard’s workroom is painted. Two jackal-headed human figures in this painting are portrayed as if holding bronze chest—which is real, and protrudes slightly into the corridor! The chest is hinged on the bottom so as to allow the lid to swing down.

And finally, Snake made his Spot check!
    On the floor of the corridor, hidden in the mosaic, in an archaic, yet readable, form of Common, is a message!
    ACERERAK CONGRATULATES YOU ON YOUR
    POWERS OF OBSERVATION. SO MAKE OF THIS
    WHATEVER YOU WISH, FOR YOU WILL BE MINE IN
    THE END NO MATTER WHAT!
    Go back to the tormentor or through the arch,
    and the second great hall you’ll discover.
    Shun green if you can, but night’s good color
    is for those of great valor.
    If shades of red stand for blood the wise
    will not need sacrifice aught but a loop of
    magical metal—you’re well along your march.
    Two pits along the way will be found to lead
    to a fortuitous fall, so check the wall.
    These keys and those are most important of all,
    and beware of trembling hands and what will maul.
    If you find the false you find the true
    and into the columned hall you’ll come,
    and there the throne that’s key and keyed.
    The iron men of visage grim do more than
    meets the viewer’s eye.
    You’ve left and left and found my Tomb
    and now your soul will die.
    [Unless Snake relays this message or what he's found, each player is gonna have to find these traps/message/ mosaics on his/her/their own.]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Snake stands back, studying the mosaic. Nodding to himself, he calls back down the tunnel, "Hey, I found sssssomething!"