Default Re: [3.5] Tomb of Horrors

Roll Listen checks to hear Snake! DC15!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    listen check (1d20+15)[29]

Bob's finely tuned senses register Snake's shout, but he ignores it. If he is to be betrayed, he wants to know now, preferably at a distance. Treasure can wait.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[17] Listen check
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Alright, Dranga hears Snake as well-does she respond?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Listen for Snake: (1d20)[5]+3

EDIT: Jake has such bad dice-luck... Jake will stand near the entrance and wait to hear back from snake. (Unsure if jake can see Snake, if not then...) Jake will become visibly uneasy as more time passes without word back from Snake
    Last edited by FireSickle; 2011-01-17 at 09:50 AM.
    -sig-

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jake can see Snake, and he can see that the elf is trying to communicate with him, but a particularly strong gust of winds takes away the already difficult to understand words...
    Alright, so Dranga, Harley, Daina, Welby and Bob make their way down the West Tunnel... Harley's torch illuminates the walls as he reaches to open the doors at the end of the corridor. As Harley moves to open the doors, a stone partition begins to slide from the West wall, essentially about to seal them in!

[Roll a DC 23 Reflex Check to determine whether or not you react fast enough. A successful Check allows you to choose whether you avoid the trap or remain with anyone who fails.]

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Oh my" Yelled the halfling at his comrades when he saw the trap sprung and gave the augury wan wielding man an angry look before darting into action before thinking.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[26]

Edit after seeing the roll: And as his reflexes were exceptionally fast he managed to reach the trapdoor before it blocked them in and turned to look if anyone seemed to be falling back as his hands started casting a spell.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-01-17 at 02:00 PM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Assuming Jake doesn't have any clue about whats going on in the other passage...

Jake takes a five foot step into the cave opening to get some cover from the wind in hopes that he can hear Snake better, "I can't hear you, what was that?" he shouts back in.

Personally, Jake would be reluctant to travel too far from the rest of the party, given the severity of this mission, he would feel it is tactically unwise to split up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry I couldn't be more active, I would've spoke up about this before the rest of the party moved to the other Tunnel

Jake assigns the Standard Marching Order... If you disagree with this please post a revision:

2 by 2 order
    Snake (front scout)
    Welby - Jake
    Dranga - Jim
    Bob - Harley
    Trevor - Diana(scout from the rear)

1 by 1 order
    Snake (front scout)
    Welby
    Jake
    Bob
    Harley
    Dranga
    Trevor
    Jim
    Diana (back scout)
    Last edited by FireSickle; 2011-01-17 at 02:05 PM.
    -sig-

9. - Top - End - #189

OOC: I am good with that... Welby is fearless enough to be second point but as he is not in an actual position to see in the dark or to find traps he would definetly allow someone more usefull to take point and back them up from close enough (plus I think when I am fully buffed I have the highest AC of the party :) )

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

[Reflex check before action:

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[20]
    ]

Dranga notices a grinding sound and the area near the door darkening, but when she turns about and sees a large stone block moving to close off the tunnel, it is too late for her to hope to squeeze by it.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-01-17 at 02:53 PM.
    Morning Star

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC @Monodominant
    Spoiler
    Show
    I remembered from the beginning that Welby stated he would want to be up front, but I placed a scout up for exactly the reason you stated... they see more traps and are generally more sneaky-sneaky.

Tactically I tried to buffer each side with higher hp chars, and tried to keep the Spell casters in view of the Cleric (rather than behind).

If Snake shouts back... listen (1d20+3)[21]
    If that doesn't double for hearing next door.... listen (1d20+3)[20]
    -sig-

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Alright, a slight retcon, Bob could NOT have entered the tunnel, since he was outside casting the Augury.
    So far, Welby has will be able to escape.
    Dranga will not.
    Again, Bob is OUTSIDE the tunnel.
    And if Snake does call again to Jake, he'll hear him as the wind has died down.
    Jake also hears the grinding sound of the large stone, and Welby's "Oh my."
    As the large stone door snaps in front of Welby, Daina smashes her fist against the wall.
    [Dranga made a successful Spot Check]
    In the flames of Harley's torch, Dranga can see word written in dark-blood upon the stone barrier facing her.
    -ee, you in Gehenna, Dresden!
    Where the "S" would be is smeared downwards, as she follows the smear downwards, the amount of blood increases with the presence of bits of bone and flesh along the bottom of the stone.
    "I have a bad feeling about this." Harley mutters.
    The stone shudders a little and begins to move inward.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [4]

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just out of curiosity, what gives you the idea that Diana will make a good scout?
    Well guys? Any idea for escape? Rescue?
    Last edited by TheOasysMaster; 2011-01-17 at 07:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

ooc
    Spoiler
    Show

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Epic_Obstacles

I thought about it for a while, that is pretty much inescapable. Short of being able to jam something into the floor or wall to stop the stone from travelling, or a wizard with a learned Shape Stone type spell, or a teleport...

Who's carrying Wedges, Pitons, Marbles, Etc? The only guy retconned out :-D, but I wouldn't expect an NPC to save my ass all the time, so I don't blame you.

Hacking at a 540 hp object with a hardness of 8 is going to take a bit longer than a few rounds... How long do we have?

Jake hears the Welby shout and shouts "I think there's trouble," as he draws his flaming great sword and strafes to the East tunnel.
    -sig-

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

[Dimension Door - you can bypass obstacles* with it, right? I have one prepared today, and I think there are exactly 3 + myself people stuck in the trap.

*by obstacles I mean things like moving walls and such]
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-01-17 at 10:59 PM.
    Morning Star

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

ooc @Derjuin
    Spoiler
    Show

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm

So sweet... It says you can do 3 others and it goes perfectly to where you visualize. 1 standard action, so it could be done on a surprise round.
    -sig-

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Dimension Door opens before Dranga, she shoves Harley and Daina through before following after herself. As she goes through, she hears things...
    Flesh so fine, so fine to tear, to gnash the skin; skin to strip, to plait, so nice to plait the strips, so nice, so red the drops that fall; blood so red, so red, so sweet; sweet screams, pretty screams, singing screams, scream your song, sing your screams...
    The Dimension Door snaps shut behind her, and the spell ends, the voices stop.
    Panting on the ground, clutching his chest, Harley watches for a minute as the stone division continues to slide deeper into the tunnel until it slaps shut with a *snap*.
    As Jake arrives, Harley hauls himself to his feet, and dusts of his pants, "Thank you very much for that Dranga-I owe you my life, I dont think i had anyway of getting out of there!"
    Still lying on the ground, Daina appears to be trying to curse every god from every single pantheon in alphabetical order...
    [Hmmmm, I need to take a closer look at how Dimension Door works... Well, done Derjuin-simple solutions often work best.]

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

lol, I'm gonna be honest, when I played this-this part KILLED me. The DM had decided to make it interesting by having a prior party go inside as well... And he'd left a ring from some rogue in the tunnel, and I detected magic. So the party mage used some magic cancelling spell. And then when the stone came out, I couldn't magic my way out!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Dranga bows to Harley and turns back to look at the tunnel they'd just teleported out of. "I am glad I had the right spell for the right moment. Otherwise..." she shakes her head, trying not to ponder too long on how life as a smear of blood would be.

"I assume then that we are not going down that corridor?" She says to the group, extending her hand to help Daina up.

[That sounds like a terrible situation to be in Was it something like Antimagic Field?]
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-01-17 at 11:21 PM.
    Morning Star

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jake sheaths his blade and, staring at the sliding stone wall, says "Maybe we shouldn't split up." Without waiting for a response, he turns and hastily makes his way back to the center corridor to regain sight of Snake.
    -sig-

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[It was his cheap knock-off of that spell, his own custom version made to be a little more-potent. Anyways, I had 40 seconds to roleplay an epic death, so it was pretty entertaining.]
    A little shaken by their near brush with death, Daina graciously takes Dranga's hand, "Thanks alot-I owe you big time! Yeah, we should probably be a little more careful..."
    [Alright, I shall assume that all PARTICIPATING party-members reconvene outside the Centre Tunnel to peer at Snake, who has greatly impressed me. Are you guys sure you don't wanna check the other one?]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'll provide another updated map in the morning, before 9, and then we can really get this thing started!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Snake sighs when he sees his companions appear at the entrance of the tunnel. "What took you sssso long?" he calls out to them in annoyance, unaware of their brush with death. "I found a carving here!"

24. - Top - End - #204

Welby smiled self assured he would have survived anything this so called demi-lich could do to them...

"Pedantic really..." he said with a fake scholarly tone. "a kobold could make better traps... you HEAR THAT YOU BIG UNDEAD DEMI-LEECH? A KOBOLD!" he screamed at the top of his voice... "and guys next time we get trapped like this just come close to me if the dimension door cant fit all of us... I can make us insubstantial!"

"Anyway, gentlmen and ladies... this passage registered in our dear wand carrier as Doom and Info... we saw the Doom... we didnt see the info or at least I didnt... so the one place I wont go is where there is JUST doom. So Central passage it is as far as I am concerned. But enough of this skulking about in the darkness"

Spoiler
    Show

cast extended light on a stick I pick up from outside and put it in one of my front pockets so that it is sticking out proving light without having to hold it all the time.

"so you said you found something interesting my elfin friend" he said turning to Snake.

Spoiler
    Show

General rule for Welby so I dont have to say it all the time. Whenever we are in the actual "dungeon" he will be using his little wings to hover above ground while also not touching the ceiling... just so we dont have any trapdoor/pressure plate/trip rope misunderstandings... the alter self lasts for 1.30 hour but I guess despite the real life timing the above scene has not taken that long. Whenever the spell goes out tell me and I will act accordingly.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

cast extended light on a stick I pick up from outside and put it in one of my front pockets so that it is sticking out proving light without having to hold it all the time.
    Any sticks will have to be gotten by entering the black trees...

Spoiler
    Show
    General rule for Welby so I dont have to say it all the time. Whenever we are in the actual "dungeon" he will be using his little wings to hover above ground while also not touching the ceiling... just so we dont have any trapdoor/pressure plate/trip rope misunderstandings... the alter self lasts for 1.30 hour but I guess despite the real life timing the above scene has not taken that long. Whenever the spell goes out tell me and I will act accordingly.
    Duly noted.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jake takes a moment to address Snake, "Sorry, these guys thought it was a good idea to check out the other tunnel without saying anything to us... Now whats this about a carving? Whats it say? Is it safe to come over and look at?"
    -sig-

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah sorry , I forgot to subscribe to this and I haven't been online since thursday, sorry , what's happened?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pretty much after nearly losing half the party to a compacting room trap, the party has found the entrance to the Tomb of Horrors. Well, Snake has. Boldly, he has entered the corriodr ahead of his fellow adventurers who are even now peering in upon him.
    Trevor and James are still snoring at the foot of the hill below.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Err... why is Trevor sleeping? (Unless thats metaphorical sleep )

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

ooc @Tipot
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you go back and read through the thread.... (which I really hope you do so you know what all has happened thus far).... I believe we rested for the night and the Inactive players stayed asleep
    Last edited by FireSickle; 2011-01-18 at 03:27 PM.
    -sig-