New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A question on heavy repeating crosbows.

I am making a crazy iron golem repeater/warhammer build.

and I am thinking theoretically I can use a repeater crossbow, shoot 4 bolts, reload, and keep repeating. Or is it I can only shoot 5 bolts per round?

Feel free to try to help me build.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2011-01-10 at 02:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: A question on heavy repeating crosbows.

I'm not too clear on what you're asking.

Normally, you can apply iterative attacks to a repeating crossbow, up to the point where you run out of bolts. At that point, loading a new set of bolts in is a full-round action. If you swap out cases of bolts before you get to five, it's still a full-round action to switch cases.

If you're building a custom golem anyway, then you might as well build a force crossbow or something into the process. Perhaps look for inspiration at something like the Force Golem (MM5) to see what an intelligent golem might do.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I was reading on teh srd and it said that repeating crossbows reload as a free action if you have any bolts still in it.
    I was thinking this could leave me shooting for a long time with a crossbow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Yes, reloading it is a free action, but shooting it is a standard action. So you can only shoot once per round.

Hope that answers you're question.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadn4ught View Post
    Yes, reloading it is a free action, but shooting it is a standard action. So you can only shoot once per round.

Hope that answers you're question.
    Shooting it is an attack action just like shooting any other ranged weapon. So you can do it as a standard action, or as part of a full attack.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I was reading on teh srd and it said that repeating crossbows reload as a free action if you have any bolts still in it.
    I was thinking this could leave me shooting for a long time with a crossbow.

There's two kinds of reloading with repeating crossbows.
    1. Reloading the bolt in the firing mechanism.
    2. Reloading the case of bolts that acts as the weapon's clip of ammo.

Reloading the bolt in the firing mechanism is a free action, and it is done by flipping a switch (according to the PHB) and dropping another bolt from the clip/case into the firing slot. You can only reload this way until you run out of ammo in the clip/case. This reloading does not interrupt your attack.

Once you run out of ammo in the clip/case you need to reload that. That is a full round action that interrupts your attack action.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is a Warforged weapon in Eberron that is basically a repeating crossbow that summons it's own bolts. If you're building it into a golem, I'm sure you can make it unlimited.

-edit- build them into twin shoulder-turrets to keep the golem's hands free for squishy goodness.
    Last edited by panaikhan; 2011-01-11 at 08:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

For those confused, pulling the reloading lever on a repeating crossbow is a free action, a full attack is a single action, and actions in D&D usually have to happen in sequence. I believe there's a ruling from the Star Wars D20 online Q&A that states you can't take a free action between attacks as part of a full attack action, but I can't remember it and I don't know Star Wars D20.

Anyway the rules on ammunition state that drawing ammunition for a bow is a free action, as opposed to not an action or part of an attack:

Quote Originally Posted by From the SRD:
    Projectile weapons use ammunition: arrows (for bows), bolts (for crossbows), or sling bullets (for slings). When using a bow, a character can draw ammunition as a free action; crossbows and slings require an action for reloading.
    This is poorly worded, but if it's possible to reload a bow between attacks during a full attack action, there's no explicit reason that shouldn't also be true for a repeating crossbow.
    Last edited by stainboy; 2011-01-11 at 09:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    There is a Warforged weapon in Eberron that is basically a repeating crossbow that summons it's own bolts.
    It's a bit overpriced though, and requires EWP.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stainboy View Post
    For those confused, pulling the reloading lever on a repeating crossbow is a free action, a full attack is a single action, and actions in D&D usually have to happen in sequence. I believe there's a ruling from the Star Wars D20 online Q&A that states you can't take a free action between attacks as part of a full attack action, but I can't remember it and I don't know Star Wars D20.

Anyway the rules on ammunition state that drawing ammunition for a bow is a free action, as opposed to not an action or part of an attack:

This is poorly worded, but if it's possible to reload a bow between attacks during a full attack action, there's no explicit reason that shouldn't also be true for a repeating crossbow.
    For that matter, it'd also make Rapid Reload close to worthless, as it specifically reduces the reload time for Light crossbows down to a free action. If that didn't do anything, it would be unnecessary text.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    It's a bit overpriced though, and requires EWP.
    All repeating crossbows are exotic.

I'm just saying - custom-made golem, with automatic heavy crossbow turrets (make them Weapon Familiars, same setting) for shoulders. Win-Win.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    All repeating crossbows are exotic.
    Yeah, but when you basically got Quick Loading on it anyhow, making it a repeating one is waste.

+1 Quick Loading light crossbow would cost you 8k, and have the capacity of 100 bolts, reloadable without costing hitpoints.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.