Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5 Races] My Little Pony

Ok, so I admit this is a pretty silly idea, but I've been watching the current My Little Pony show and it is surprisingly fun and well-written. And well, it inspired me. I'm new to homebrewing, so please critique the hell out of anything that seems poorly thought out or unbalanced. As you can probably guess, I used strongheart halfling stats as a base for the ponies. My other inspirations are noted.

Edit: This is an older version by now, version 4 in a later post is the newest

Ponyfolk

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Type: Magical Beast
    • +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
    • Small: As a Small creature, a ponyfolk gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
      Ponyfolk base land speed is 20 feet.
    • +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
    • Stability: A ponyfolk gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • 1 extra feat at 1st level.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Equine.
    • Even though they lack hands, ponyfolk are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass ponyfolk takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
    • Note: I am mainly using the term ponyfolk to differentiate them game-term-wise from conventional non-intelligent ponies. In practice, feel free to call them ponies.

Unicorn

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength.
    • Small: As a Small creature, a unicorn gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Unicorn base land speed is 20 feet.
    • Stability: A unicorn gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Arcane Ability: Unicorns with Intelligence or Charisma scores of 10 or higher can cast cantrips as a racial ability. They may choose one 0-level spell per +1 modifier on Charisma or Intelligence (whichever is higher) and cast that spell at-will. They are always treated as a level 1 caster for these spells and are subject to arcane spell failure, but do not need to prepare them. These spells are handled separately from any other spell-casting the unicorn may be capable of.
    • Increased Caster Level: Unicorns are considered to have +1 caster level for purposes such as spell range, duration, and damage. They do not gain any other benefits of caster level, such as class features of spells know, earlier than other races.
    • Empowered Magic: One per day, a Unicorn can apply the Empower Spell feat to any spell as it is being cast without incurring the normal spell slot penalty. This must be declared before casting the spell and is lost if the spell cannot be completed for any reason.
    • Even though they lack hands, unicorns are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • Favored Class: Wizard or Sorcerer. As soon as a level in either is taken, the player must decide which will permanently be considered favored.
    • +1 Level Adjustment

Some stats inspired by the High Elves of the original d20 Warcraft system

Pegasus

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • +2 Dexterity, +2 Strength, -2 Constitution.
    • Small: As a Small creature, a pegasus gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Pegasus base land speed is 20 feet.
    • Stability: A pegasus gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Gliding: A pegasus can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Winged creatures glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if her maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A pegasus can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a winged creature becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The creature descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
    • Flight: When a pegasus reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A pegasus can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Pegasi can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to double their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because pegasi can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, pegasi have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A pegasus with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A pegasus can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A pegasus with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
    • Wing Buffet: The pegasus has two wing attacks as secondary natural weapons (damage 1d6 for a Medium creature) and may make a special bull-rush attack with a range of 25ft, +5ft per two character levels once per two rounds. This is a ranged attack which must be made with the pegasus's wings, and the pegasus does not move with his target, but otherwise functions as a normal bull rush.
    • Shielding Wing: The creature may encase themselves in their own wings, gaining a +4 shield bonus to AC when they take the total defense action, +1 per three character levels.
    • Even though they lack hands, pegasi are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass pegasus takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
    • +1 Level Adjustment

Inspired by and adapted from zenanarchist's Winged template:
      http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161005
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2011-01-12 at 05:13 PM.
    The OmegaDex, the complete index to just about everything related to Star Wars Saga Edition.

"Waspinator not want to be destroyed! Waspinator has plans!"
    -Waspinator, Transformers Beast Wars

"When was it that the twerps were chosen for this mission?"
    "It was when the mission became scary!"
    -Team Rocket, Pokemon

"It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."
    -Dragonmech designer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5 Races] My Little Pony

I think the ability arrays are kind of off. Currently, you have:

Earth Pony: +2 Dex, -2 Str
    Unicorn: +2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Str
    Pegasus: +2 Dex, +2 Str, -2 Con

First of all, the generic Earth Ponies are much stronger and more resilient than the others. They should absolutely have at least more constitution than the others, and almost certainly more strength. On the flip side, they've shown no extra aptitude for dexterity.

From what we've seen of Unicorns, they're generally a bit more frail, and tire more easily, than the other kinds of ponies, so I'd throw on a constitution penalty.

I don't think there's any basis for a constitution penalty for the Pegasi, considering the duration and intensity of the flights they're able to perform, and I don't think we've seen them be particularly stronger than average.

I'd propose:

Earth Pony: +2 Con (And add a little something extra to push them into +1 LA like the others)
    Unicorn: +2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Con, -2 Str
    Pegasus: +2 Dex, -2 Str

Also, if you're worried about D&D name overlap, "Ponyfolk" is fine to distinguish from "Pony", but keep in mind that 'Unicorn' and 'Pegasus' are also names for D&D critters.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-01-11 at 03:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Hmmm..... I can see your point. Let's see... I'm fiddling with the naming conventions a bit.... and I think I'd prefer to keep the Earth Ponies as LA +0 as sort of the baseline. Let's tweak the ability scores though..... I also changed the bonus to Move Silently to Swim, to make them a little more athletic and to distance them from the original halfling stats I modded them from.

How does this look?

Version 2:

Earth Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity.
    • Small: As a Small creature, an Earth Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Earth Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
    • +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Swim checks.
    • Stability: An Earth Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Even though they lack hands, Earth Ponies are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Earth Pony takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Unicorn Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Dexterity
    • Small: As a Small creature, a Unicorn Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Unicorn Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
    • Stability: A Unicorn Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Arcane Ability: Unicorn Ponies with Intelligence or Charisma scores of 10 or higher can cast cantrips as a racial ability. They may choose one 0-level spell per +1 modifier on Charisma or Intelligence (whichever is higher) and cast that spell at-will. They are always treated as a level 1 caster for these spells and are subject to arcane spell failure, but do not need to prepare them. These spells are handled separately from any other spell-casting the Unicorn Pony may be capable of.
    • Increased Caster Level: Unicorn Ponies are considered to have +1 caster level for purposes such as spell range, duration, and damage. They do not gain any other benefits of caster level, such as class features of spells know, earlier than other races.
    • Empowered Magic: One per day, a Unicorn Pony can apply the Empower Spell feat to any spell as it is being cast without incurring the normal spell slot penalty. This must be declared before casting the spell and is lost if the spell cannot be completed for any reason.
    • Even though they lack hands, Unicorn Ponies are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • Favored Class: Wizard or Sorcerer. As soon as a level in either is taken, the player must decide which will permanently be considered favored.
    • +1 Level Adjustment

Pegasus Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Small: As a Small creature, a Pegasus Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Pegasus Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
    • Stability: A Pegasus Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Gliding: A Pegasus Pony can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Pegasus Ponies glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if her maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A Pegasus Pony can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Pegasus Pony becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Pegasus Pony descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
    • Flight: When a Pegasus Pony reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A Pegasus Pony can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Pegasus Ponies can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to double their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Pegasus Ponies can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Pegasus Ponies have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Pegasus Pony with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Pegasus Pony can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Pegasus Pony with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
    • Wing Buffet: A Pegasus Pony has two wing attacks as secondary natural weapons (damage 1d6 for a Medium creature) and may make a special bull-rush attack with a range of 25ft, +5ft per two character levels once per two rounds. This is a ranged attack which must be made with the Pegasus Pony's wings, and the Pegasus Pony does not move with his target, but otherwise functions as a normal bull rush.
    • Shielding Wing: The Pegasus Pony may encase themselves in their own wings, gaining a +4 shield bonus to AC when they take the total defense action, +1 per three character levels.
    • Even though they lack hands, Pegasus Ponies are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Pegasus Pony takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
    • +1 Level Adjustment

The OmegaDex, the complete index to just about everything related to Star Wars Saga Edition.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

"It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."
    -Dragonmech designer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Pffff. 'sbeen done

5. - Top - End - #5

Except that was an April Fool's joke and they didn't actually make it.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

6. - Top - End - #6

Shhhhhhhhhut uu-up!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I love you. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #8

The next question of course is to figure out what the mechanical benefits should be a of a feat for Pegasus Ponies that causes them to leave brightly-colored trails behind them as they fly.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

9. - Top - End - #9

Sounds like prestidigitation to me. Mind, I haven't actually watched the show - think I should, though.

10. - Top - End - #10

It's all up on Youtube. You can get episode titles here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Litt...282010-2011.29

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

At least I don't feel so bad for downloading Season One of Curious George onto my computer for the kid I babysit xD.

12. - Top - End - #12

Version 3! Changes focus on Pegasus Ponies and some of their cloud interaction abilities. Also, brightly-colored trails while flying.

Earth Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Small: As a Small creature, an Earth Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Earth Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
    • Stability: An Earth Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Even though they lack hands, Earth Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Earth Pony takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Unicorn Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Small: As a Small creature, a Unicorn Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Unicorn Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
    • Stability: A Unicorn Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Arcane Ability: Unicorn Ponies with Intelligence or Charisma scores of 10 or higher can cast cantrips as a racial ability. They may choose one 0-level spell per +1 modifier on Charisma or Intelligence (whichever is higher) and cast that spell at-will. They are always treated as a level 1 caster for these spells and are subject to arcane spell failure, but do not need to prepare them. These spells are handled separately from any other spell-casting the Unicorn Pony may be capable of.
    • Increased Caster Level: Unicorn Ponies are considered to have +1 caster level for purposes such as spell range, duration, and damage. They do not gain any other benefits of caster level, such as class features of spells know, earlier than other races.
    • Empowered Magic: One per day, a Unicorn Pony can apply the Empower Spell feat to any spell as it is being cast without incurring the normal spell slot penalty. This must be declared before casting the spell and is lost if the spell cannot be completed for any reason.
    • Even though they lack hands, Unicorn Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • +1 Level Adjustment

Pegasus Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Small: As a Small creature, a Pegasus Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Pegasus Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
    • Stability: A Pegasus Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Gliding: A Pegasus Pony can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Pegasus Ponies glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if her maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A Pegasus Pony can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Pegasus Pony becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Pegasus Pony descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
    • Flight: When a Pegasus Pony reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A Pegasus Pony can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Pegasus Ponies can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to double their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Pegasus Ponies can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Pegasus Ponies have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Pegasus Pony with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Pegasus Pony can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Pegasus Pony with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line. While using the run action and flying, the Pegasus Pony leaves a brightly colored trail behind them, the exact appearance of which depends on the individual Pegasus.
    • Wing Buffet: A Pegasus Pony has two wing attacks as secondary natural weapons (damage 1d6 for a Medium creature) and may make a special bull-rush attack with a range of 25ft, +5ft per two character levels once per two rounds. This is a ranged attack which must be made with the Pegasus Pony's wings, and the Pegasus Pony does not move with his target, but otherwise functions as a normal bull rush.
    • Shielding Wing: The Pegasus Pony may encase themselves in their own wings, gaining a +4 shield bonus to AC when they take the total defense action, +1 per three character levels.
    • Cloudwalking: A Pegasus Pony can tread on clouds or fog as though on solid ground. The ability functions continuously but can be negated or resumed at will. They may also otherwise interact with clouds as though they are made of a solid material, at DM discretion.
    • Even though they lack hands, Pegasus Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Pegasus Pony takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
    • +1 Level Adjustment

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

13. - Top - End - #13

How are you going to handle the Pegasus Ponie's weather manipulation abilities? By herself Rainbow Dash can trigger lightning bolts (Griffon the Brush Off) and create whirlwinds (Swarm of the Century). Granted she has advanced training that might translate to a PRC. But its an issue for the regular Pegasuses as well. Individually they aren't that powerful but the things they can do get pretty crazy when a bunch of them work together. For example the whirlwind/cloud drill they did in Winter Wrap Up
    Last edited by Spamotron; 2011-01-11 at 07:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm not sure I'm up to make a good PrC, but that would probably be the best way to handle the weather manipulation stuff since it doesn't seem to be a thing every pegasus does. We never see Fluttershy do it, for example.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

15. - Top - End - #15

Another thing why small sized? Judging their proportions against other animals, trees and terrain they appear Medium sized in show to me. They still count as "little" because mundane ponies and horses are Large in DnD.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Also seems that they should be quadrupeds, and have at least 30' movement speed.

I'd also note that unicorns display the ability to mentally manipulate objects, likely akin to mage hand.

You also seem to have left out winged unicorns (of which there are a few).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #17

The telekinesis is covered. See the unicorn cantrips. They just need to pick mage hand as one of them.

Size is a little hard to judge, since there's no humans around and we can't necessarily assume that anything else is the same size it would be in real life. I did specify them as magical beasts instead of humanoids, so that covers the quadruped part, but I think they should probably stick at the current speed unless I bump them up to medium.

And yeah, there are a coupled winged unicorns on the show, but those aren't really PC race material. I see Celestia and Luna as heavily templated DM-only variants. I mean, they're apparently some kind of pseudo-deity with the whole power over the sun and moon thing. And living for thousands of years.
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2011-01-11 at 09:06 PM.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm not the only one this crazy!

Fitting the ponies into DnD classes is hard. The show just isn't combat oriented enough. But it's fun to imagine "My Little Combat Ponies" you could build off this. Flutteryshy, Pegasus Druid, casting "Summon Rabbits" to hold off the advancing goblin hordes. Rarity, Unicorn Rogue, palming a diamond as she talks her way out of the dragon's den (wait...), Applejack, Pony Barbarian, plowing ahead no matter how many wounds she takes... this is fitting better than I expected, actually.

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, yeah. The whole point of D&D stats like this is basically to use them in the D&D combat system. If you're wanting a true to the show, most problems solved by non-violent solutions game, the rules probably don't matter that much.

And I see Rarity as some kind of Artificer, myself.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Size is a little hard to judge, since there's no humans around and we can't necessarily assume that anything else is the same size it would be in real life. I did specify them as magical beasts instead of humanoids, so that covers the quadruped part, but I think they should probably stick at the current speed unless I bump them up to medium.
    On the size issue, I'll point out that in all fictional settings you can only base things off of how they look relative to their surroundings. Otherwise you could say the humans in a setting are actually 50 feet tall and everything else is scaled to match. As such saying you can't assume everything else is the same size as in real life is a fairly poor argument (given that if you can't assume other things are, why would you be able to assume humans are if they were in the setting).

Except that quadruped is actually a specific trait that must be mentioned. It affects carrying capacity, allowing the creature to carry more than a biped of the same size. See the second paragraph of Bigger and Smaller Creatures. As such you should mention it. As for speed, given they are horses they should be at least as fast as a normal person. And given they are faster than things that could be considered the same size (like dragons), it makes sense that they would be faster than normal small creatures.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

For size, the clearest comparison I remember is Applejack with the herd of cows. Applejack is clearly much smaller than the cows, about the size of a work dog (but much bigger than her little collie). So, I think smaller than a human, maybe not enough to be "small" since riding dogs are medium.

On the other hand, My Little Ponies. They have to be small size. Anything else is just wrong.

On speed, I agree. Those ponies can hoof it. For an example, see Applejack with the stampede again.
    Last edited by Vessiel; 2011-01-11 at 10:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Well, yeah. The whole point of D&D stats like this is basically to use them in the D&D combat system. If you're wanting a true to the show, most problems solved by non-violent solutions game, the rules probably don't matter that much.
    Well, it depends on the rules. Some make social conflict central to the game, even some 3.5 variants. And there is always the bluff, perform and diplomacy skills.

And I see Rarity as some kind of Artificer, myself.
    We don't really see her create anything except art. Now, Pinkie Pie as a mad artificer, that would explain a lot.
    Last edited by Vessiel; 2011-01-11 at 11:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Pinkie's probably using a mechanic class from some steampunk setting and no one's brave enough to tell her to stop.

And ok, I'll probably bump up the pony speed a little bit. And add the quadruped carrying limits. Also, think I should make them count as humanoids for the purposes of mind-affecting spells? Since ponies as depicted on the show are very human-like mentally and it would be a balancing point against them to be vulnerable to that stuff, and I'm slightly worried that I may be giving them too many good traits.

On size, if we assume real world animal sizes, let's look at this screenshot I just took:

A typical dog is Small:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dog.htm
    And a bison (couldn't find cow stats, but is probably close enough) is Large:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bison.htm

Honestly, Applejack (the pony) isn't THAT much bigger than Rinoa (the dog). These ponies are probably on kind of the high end of Small or low end of Medium so it's kind of a judgement call.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

24. - Top - End - #24

Version 4! Upped land speed and quadruped carrying limits. Also, changed how they're affected by mind-affecting spells.

Earth Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Type: Magical Beast, treated as Humanoid for the purposes of Mind-Affecting spells and abilities.
    • Small Quadruped: As a Small creature, an Earth Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use. Her lifting and carrying limits are the same as those of a Medium character.
    • Earth Pony base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Even though they lack hands, Earth Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.

Unicorn Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Type: Magical Beast, treated as Humanoid for the purposes of Mind-Affecting spells and abilities.
    • Small Quadruped: As a Small creature, an Earth Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use. Her lifting and carrying limits are the same as those of a Medium character.
    • Unicorn Pony base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Even though they lack hands, Unicorn Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • +1 Level Adjustment

Pegasus Pony

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Pegasus Pony base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Flight: When a Pegasus Pony reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A Pegasus Pony can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Pegasus Ponies can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to double their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Pegasus Ponies can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Pegasus Ponies have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Pegasus Pony with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Pegasus Pony can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Pegasus Pony with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line. While using the run action and flying, the Pegasus Pony leaves a brightly colored trail behind them, the exact appearance of which depends on the individual Pegasus.
    • Cloudwalking: A Pegasus Pony can tread on clouds or fog as though on solid ground. The ability functions continuously but can be negated or resumed at will. They may also otherwise interact with clouds as though they are made of a solid material, at DM discretion.
    • Even though they lack hands, Pegasus Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
    • +1 Level Adjustment

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know, you could edit your first post, so people don't have to scroll down to find the latest version.

Also, I watched the first two episodes. I was pleasantly surprised.
    "Is she really going to-?" *Pinkie starts singing* "Yup, she is."
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Eh, I kind of like having all of the edits saved. I'll edit a note into the first post that there are later ones, though.

And yeah, the occasional musical numbers are awesome.
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2011-01-12 at 05:14 PM.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer

27. - Top - End - #27

I signed up specifically for this thread.

First off, the manipulation of objects for the ponies should come with penalties for them using their respective hooves, mouths, and fetlocks in such a manor with them being lesser penalties for earth ponies as they typically don't have means to control items.

Second off, unicorn ponies need to be able to make physical attacks with their respective horns given that you gave pegasus ponies the ability to attack and with their wings which is much less obvious than an unicorn pony attacking with their horn.

Third off, you need to mention something about Winking since it was highly used by the unicorn ponies throughout the series. Basically winking is disappearing and than reappearing somewhere else within close sight range provided that the path from point A to point B has a means where it is possible not to go through solid objects and isn't instant death. This can be used to escape sticky traps only but using this to avoid getting caught in a trap that was already strung on your character before getting caught by the said trap is allowed. I don't care if this is a unicorn pony feature ability or a feat that can be taken as early as character level 1/class level 1 by any character whom is either magical type creature like the unicorn ponies or part of a magic base class like wizard.

Finally, both unicorn ponies and pegasus ponies need to have enough drawbacks so they are more in line with the earth ponies but don't do so by taking away their advantages as I feel there is another way to lower them down to the point where there respective LA+1s can just be throw out so that they don't end up either being the go to ponies or the avoid at all cost ponies.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by invinible View Post
    Third off, you need to mention something about Winking since it was highly used by the unicorn ponies throughout the series. Basically winking is disappearing and than reappearing somewhere else within close sight range provided that the path from point A to point B has a means where it is possible not to go through solid objects and isn't instant death. This can be used to escape sticky traps only but using this to avoid getting caught in a trap that was already strung on your character before getting caught by the said trap is allowed. I don't care if this is a unicorn pony feature ability or a feat that can be taken as early as character level 1/class level 1 by any character whom is either magical type creature like the unicorn ponies or part of a magic base class like wizard.
    I have to disagree. We see one unicorn, (Twilight) use teleporting. Neither rarity, snips, snails, nor Trixie demonstrate any teleportation, even in situations where is would be highly useful. (such as having just woken the Ursa, or Trixie's attempt to make a grand exit, where she ends up merely using smoke and running away). As such, it would seem to be much more reasonable to put it down as a spell or class feature, and not something innately related to unicorns.
    Last edited by Clockworkchaos; 2011-02-10 at 01:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll admit, I feel a tad silly posting on this thread, but what about statting up Zebras as well? Maybe a bonus to Wisdom, and Brew Potion as a bonus feat, as a start?

30. - Top - End - #30

Ok, haven't been around much. I'll work on another version soon. My thoughts:

Yeah, Unicorns and Pegasi probably need to be toned down a little bit.

About object manipulation, I think that's best left to the territory of roleplaying. D&D doesn't model some parts of behavior in very high detail, such as being left-handed vs right-handed, and I honestly think for the sake of simplicity and playability we should just ignore how ponies are able to competently handle objects.

About teleporting, if we're going by the current show, only Twilight, Celestia, and Luna seem to be able to do it. They are probably moderately high level Sorcerers who know Dimension Door.

And hmmm, I don't know if Zebras really need separate stats from the Earth Ponies. Zecora doesn't seem very different physically and we don't see any others to try to establish any kind of baseline as to whether they've got any particular leaning mentally or anything.

-Team Rocket, Pokemon

-Dragonmech designer