New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Character Builder Thread

How would you build a Seguleh-inspired fighter (from Memories of Ice, third of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson)? They're unarmoured, masked, twin-longsword fighters who use unarmed attacks as well as blades. Lets say you've got 10 levels to play with, it is going to be some combo of Fighter, Ranger and Monk?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the best way is a 4th level monk and then up as ranger to increase bab. Take the feat from CAd that makes you add level from monk and ranger classes for unarmed damages and the feat that makes two-bladed swords a special monk weapon (I think it's in AoO, but I can't relly remember). You lose a single point of Bab and gain many attacks. You can, on the other hand, buy the Monk belt and take 4 levels of warrior to gain Weapon Specialization (both unarmed attack and two bladed sword). Anyway, in two levels you'll take the last feat and have 7 attacks in a round. Just a thing: soon enough you'll realize that your unarmed attacks are more powerful than your sword attacks. Just keep in mind you can't fight with two unarmed strikes: you'll have to sacrifice damages to get more attacks.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

3. - Top - End - #363
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    How would you build a Seguleh-inspired fighter (from Memories of Ice, third of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson)? They're unarmoured, masked, twin-longsword fighters who use unarmed attacks as well as blades. Lets say you've got 10 levels to play with, it is going to be some combo of Fighter, Ranger and Monk?
    I think he wanted two long swords.... you were discussing a two bladed sword. using two long swords would be much more difficult.

Don't forget the feat from the book of the nine swords that lets you deal unarmored/unarmed monk damage as if you 5 levels higher(or a 5th level monk if you have no levels in monk)
    Darnit Dave! what did i tell you about playin' that unicorns and corridors?!
    - Chuck

Fool me once? shame on you,
    Fool me twice? Do you want your posessions identified?
    - Kevin, about nethack

4. - Top - End - #364
    Pixie in the Playground

could someone post an Archer build if they have one similar?

books... any and all.

race elven. subraces and templates welcome, boosting stats or ability to fly would be nice but not crucial, arcane magic can allow for both.

up to lv 20 wiz/EK other classes welcome, (fighter, a few other PRC come to mind.) but need max caster lvs and highest BAB possible within reason.

focused on int/dex. int toped at 20 rest to dex.

basically AA gish build. actually likes to use the bow! combat feats will be tight. need some meta magic, extend for example. but aside from bonus wiz feat and maybe one or two other feats to wiz, all others can go for archery feats.

also, is an arcane archer of this type a worthwile build?
    tia

5. - Top - End - #365

Planetar

1. Which of the above are you asking for?
    * * *a. scratch to 20 progression, preferrably fully paladin, but I'm able to see a few dips in his carreer, so long as he maintains his ablity to progress as a paladin.

2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
    a. Books: anything wotc, besides incarnum stuff.
    b. Race: Human
    c. Class: Paladin, PrCs at your discretion
    d. Ability Scores: your discretion, 28 point buy, preferrably with no "dumping" stats. I'd like to see at least a +1 bonus on int, for skills.
    e. Alignment: LG, o'course ;)
    f. House Rules: none!
    g. Concept: A paladin who inspires and heals, less focus on himself being an avatar of his god's smiting, more of him making the most of his healing and inspirational abilities
    h. Other: the Sacred Healing feat (complete divine, I think) is the one feat I really want to see for certain on this guy, at as low a level as possible. Any feats that can burn turn undead or smite uses for healing or buffing allies are greatly welcome. of course, heal should be maxed. survival ranks might be good too.
    And I like the idea of the endurance feat - this character comes from the desert, and spent years wandering.

this may not come up, but this character, while devout, is not an evangelist. He's one that highlights his god's abilities by example. now that I think of it, it may work best if he starts with 1-2 levels of cleric prior to becoming a paladin. but I'll leave that in your capable hands

thanks!

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by quotemyname View Post
    I think he wanted two long swords.... you were discussing a two bladed sword. using two long swords would be much more difficult.

Don't forget the feat from the book of the nine swords that lets you deal unarmored/unarmed monk damage as if you 5 levels higher(or a 5th level monk if you have no levels in monk)
    Hey, that's not that difficult: just take the CAd feat that decreases penalities to fight with two one-handed weapons instead of the proficency feat and talk to your DM about changing the feat about two-bladed swords in a feat about long swords. If you have an entire style of fighting centered on that, I'd say why not?

I liked it best with the two-bladed sword anyway...

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quotemyname View Post
    Bingo, two longswords - a sword in each hand, not a double-weapon (which are cheesy, anyway).
    Last edited by Kiero; 2007-03-28 at 07:54 AM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

8. - Top - End - #368

Question.

Anyone know of a PrC that would let my character become a plant as their base type and gain nifty plant based powers?
    Thank you good sir Necromimesis for the amazing avatar.

9. - Top - End - #369

Planetar

there used to be the verdant lord druid from masters of the wild - really neat plant-based shifting class, got some neat plant based abilities. it hasn't been replaced yet, so I guess it's still basically valid

10. - Top - End - #370
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talfrey View Post
    Question.

Anyone know of a PrC that would let my character become a plant as their base type and gain nifty plant based powers?
    You could also go geomancer and take most of the plant related drifts like leaf/vine hair, photosynthesis, and bark skin.
    Please check out my movie. Better Luck Yesterday

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Talfrey, try the simple Q&A thread stickied above this one.

12. - Top - End - #372

I had a really fun fighter in 3.0, and would like help creating something similar for 3.5. The problem is some feats changed and things that used to work do not seem to work anymore.

The goal is a crowd-control fighter who's job is to hold the hordes back from the finger-wigglers. She would use combat reflex to trip any that tried to bypass her, and on her turn, full attack on one of the prone, and take a 5' step back. I cared not at all about how much damage was done -- just as long as they were stopped, and she was still armed and able to do it again the next round.

The previous build was a human who used a glaive, with combat reflex, combat expertise, improved trip, improved initiative and knockdown. I had Weapon Focus and Power Attack in there, too -- the only reason was a fighting school out of one of the Mongoose books that allowed me to avoid the trip attack (or lose my weapon) in return. That's the real key that I have trouble figuring out in how to make this PC work again.

All books are open -- the goal is to reach the above goal as soon as possible (level-wise). Thanks in advance for your assistance!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Pixie in the Playground

I've had an idea for a character knocking around in my head for a while but I have no idea how to build it into an effective character: (Does not need to be combat opitmal, we tend to talk more than fight, but we do get in fights)

Paladin Leader

The idea is to build a paladin around the Leadership feat.
    32 point build
    any of Human, Elf, Half-Elf or Dwarf
    Paragon Race selection is allowed
    "splat" books allowed for feat/PrC selection:
    Eberron Campaign Setting book, Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, or Complete Arcane

If I could get a 20 level feat/level progression I would be grateful!
    Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Currently working on a bardic gish, and looking for input on feat and spell choice. Since I usually play casting focused wizards and enhance their spell books as fast and as much as possible... so the limited options that a bard or sorcerer have access to are leaving me with a lot of difficult choices. feats i have been considering are arcane strike, leadership, and a few of the giant fighting ones (currently looking at a gnome).

1 bard (dodge)
    2 bard
    3 bard (iron will)
    4 bard
    5 bard
    6 bard (?)
    7 bard
    8 dragon slayer
    9 eldrich knight (?)
    10 bard
    11 sublime chord
    12 sublime chord (?)
    13 eldrich knight
    etc...

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

smile Re: Character Builder Thread

PLEASE help with a Level by level character with the following:

BOOKS: 6 completes, PHB I/II, DMG I/II, Races books, unearthed arcane, heroes of battle/horror, libiris mortis, vile darkness, exalted, MM I-IV, miniatures

RACES: ones with no LA

ABILITY SCORES: 13,12,17,11,14,16 (fixed)

ALIGNMENT: not evil

CONCEPT:
    -Spell caster for Melee Combat squeezed so i can get the PrC "master transmogrifist" ASAP.
    -Will eventually be master transmogrifist this will be the first 7-8 lvls before i go into in the PrC.
    - a little help with the personality back story ( the whole transmuter persona is a mystery to me)

-Other:
    -the dungeon has a high PC turnover rate ( as in there is a lot of dying so build defensive)
    -i've been looking at battle sorc (UnE Arcn) with arcane diciple WAR ( divine power) and STRENGTH ( rightgeous might) with a domain focus feats so this would be a good place to start.

if someone completes this project could you please Private message me? i will look in on this from time to time but i dont know if i will find the post that answers this post.

thanks
    Last edited by Cowboy_ninja; 2007-04-02 at 08:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm a returning D&D player, I used to play a lot back in the Advanced D&D rules days. I have some characters using those rules that I'd like to convert to the current rules system and I'm wondering what to do with a 13th level "Illusionist" now that there is no such class as Illusionist. Any general suggestions for what to do?

Also, I have an 11th level Wizard, a 10th level Cleric, a 13th level Ranger and a Fighter/Cleric multiclass to convert as well. Any thoughts on them?

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by Meschaelene View Post
    I had a really fun fighter in 3.0, and would like help creating something similar for 3.5. The problem is some feats changed and things that used to work do not seem to work anymore.

The goal is a crowd-control fighter who's job is to hold the hordes back from the finger-wigglers. She would use combat reflex to trip any that tried to bypass her, and on her turn, full attack on one of the prone, and take a 5' step back. I cared not at all about how much damage was done -- just as long as they were stopped, and she was still armed and able to do it again the next round.

The previous build was a human who used a glaive, with combat reflex, combat expertise, improved trip, improved initiative and knockdown. I had Weapon Focus and Power Attack in there, too -- the only reason was a fighting school out of one of the Mongoose books that allowed me to avoid the trip attack (or lose my weapon) in return. That's the real key that I have trouble figuring out in how to make this PC work again.

All books are open -- the goal is to reach the above goal as soon as possible (level-wise). Thanks in advance for your assistance!
    The only thing is that you need less feats to do it.
    I'll use the spiked chain anyway.
    Fancy that PC!

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brassbaboon View Post
    I'm a returning D&D player, I used to play a lot back in the Advanced D&D rules days. I have some characters using those rules that I'd like to convert to the current rules system and I'm wondering what to do with a 13th level "Illusionist" now that there is no such class as Illusionist. Any general suggestions for what to do?

Also, I have an 11th level Wizard, a 10th level Cleric, a 13th level Ranger and a Fighter/Cleric multiclass to convert as well. Any thoughts on them?
    Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with exactly what the old Illusionist class could do (and can't seem to find a good online resource for AD&D rules). I'd suggest a wizard with specialization in the Illusion school of magic. A Beguiler might be more in keeping with the flavor of the original class.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Hi all, i'm asking you cool optimizers some help to build this char-concept.

a.) Any book allowed (no dragon Mag)
    b.) Race: (Elf La+0, supposing wood elf)
    c.) Class: thinking about Swasbuckler/rougue/swordsage/warblade/eternal blade??
    d.) Stats: 32point-buy
    e.) Alignment: non-evil
    f. ) House Rules: we use action points (and related feats), Max 3 class, 2flaws, racial weapon don't need EWP to be used.
    g.) Concept: The dextrous swashbuckler, feint, hit HARD. smthing like a dashing swordsman
    i supposed to do this with swash3/rogue17 and martial study(ashadow stance)+shadow blade to get dex to dmg and daring outlaw to stack swash and rogue levels, obtaining dex+int+1,5str to damage (what about going into dashing for real to add cha?? )
    or via warblade and/or swordsage builds.
    What would be better?
    the little diff with the standard figure is that i'm going to use an Elven courtblade (Rotw) finessable and 2handed
    consider to play it with the least team support possible (a crusader, or a couple players)

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, I'd like a bit of insight into a character idea if anyone has a minute or two. I'm playing a barbarian in our newest campaign, and I'm playing him as a pretty typical strong and stupid guy. I'm not crazy about going barbarian20 and have been looking at some PrCs. We have all the books between us all so any suggestions are fine.

What I was thinking was:

Barb7/Bear warrior6/Warshaper2/Frenzied Berserker5

Using all those together would give me something like +26 strength.

I really kind of want to keep the character focused on primal and barbarian-ish PrCs though, no dipping into holy liberator and all that and no min/maxing his will save (although I know it would benefit me greatly, especially with FB). I'm open to dropping any or all of those PrCs or even being talked into barbarian 20, but it seems like the beneficial levels of barbarian are all front-loaded. Thanks a lot!

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdad View Post
    Hey, I'd like a bit of insight into a character idea if anyone has a minute or two. I'm playing a barbarian in our newest campaign, and I'm playing him as a pretty typical strong and stupid guy. I'm not crazy about going barbarian20 and have been looking at some PrCs. We have all the books between us all so any suggestions are fine.

What I was thinking was:

Barb7/Bear warrior6/Warshaper2/Frenzied Berserker5

Using all those together would give me something like +26 strength.

I really kind of want to keep the character focused on primal and barbarian-ish PrCs though, no dipping into holy liberator and all that and no min/maxing his will save (although I know it would benefit me greatly, especially with FB). I'm open to dropping any or all of those PrCs or even being talked into barbarian 20, but it seems like the beneficial levels of barbarian are all front-loaded. Thanks a lot!
    If you don't mind dropping into the Magic of Incarnum book, you could try Barbarian 4/Totemist 2/Totem Rager 5/Bear Warrior 6/Warshaper 3. Instead of being bestial, he'd have a unique link to nature and life.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

EDIT: Some slight changes to the requests below, FYI.

1. Scout 9 levels, Dungeon Delver 1 level.
    2. 'Spellcraft' as a class skill for Scout is dropped and replaced with 'Open Lock' as a class skill, permitting access to Dungeon Delver.
    3. Track and Quick Reconnoiter as feats, please.

-------------------

Playgrounders (do members of these forums have a snazzy nickname?):

OK, so I'm depending on the kindness of strangers and askin' for some help, if anyone is willing and able, please.

Q.1

1. Which of the above are you asking for? From scratch to a certain level-10.

a) Books that can be used: Any published books (not magazine or web sources)
    b) Race: Human
    c) Class: Scout
    d) Ability Scores: 34 pt buy
    e) Alignment: Neutral Evil
    f) House Rules: 80,000 starting gold, HP max at creation, 3/4 max per the other nine levels. No leadership feat.
    g) Concept: Opportunistic young scout, exceptional at sneaking, reconnaisance, acrobatics, getting about in the wilderness (above and belowground settings), athletic skills. His primary occupation is to travel alone or in a small group in the Underdark, move unnoticed towards an enemy (typically a large group of enemies), record their movements, numbers, etc., and withdraw to report that information.
    f) Other: I've got a pretty good head for the numbers of D&D 3.5, but I've never built a character from scratch to higher than L5. I've only played a character up to L7 before, and that's in d20 Future. So, I'm a bit out of my element here. I've also never played a Scout before, so I'm a fish out of water as to what's desireable for a Scout to have. One requirement is that he must have some method of regularly obtaining Darkvision for extended periods of time, on a reliable daily basis.

I should also add that, while the DM has been pretty tolerant of feats, items, etc. that are to be permitted, the concept may change pending ruling from her. Please do not take offense should that happen in this case, if I have to change your concept a bit.

Thanks kindly for any help anyone is able to provide :) Any offerings could be posted here, or emailed to me at [email protected] , thanks again!
    Last edited by Rakeesh; 2007-04-05 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Updating request
    Bwah-ha-ha-ha! Yes, I can hold. Yes, I would like to place an order for delivery. Aku. I think I'm in the computer. Yes, that's it. I'd like a large... uh? What? Extra thick! 30 minutes or it's free - excellent! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

Campaign I'm in: Eressëa: Vóréa's Ruin. I play Culcullen, Antell Ranger and Druid.

Signature image by: DarkCorax (Thanks!)

23. - Top - End - #383

Request
    ok, I'm reviving a character that never made it past rolling the dice, and need some help if anyone is willing. The character will be level 5, and some mixing of Rogue/Sorcerer.

Here we go:
    Setting: Forgotten Realms
    Books: DM is open to most everything
    Race: strongheart Halfling
    Class: Rog2/Sor3
    Ability Score: str 3, dex 20, con 14, int 17, wis 8, cha 18 (stats are fixed. this is after race, and lvl4 increase, which was put into cha; ).
    Alignment: CN (negotiable)
    House Rules: Sorcerers get Heighten Spell, and Eschew Materials for free.

Character Concept:
    I would like his battle philosophy to be one of equalizing the playing field. This stems from his being so physically weak. He attempts to even things out with his spells. I'd like to focus on ability damage spells if possible. Most all of his Cha skills have 5 ranks; other skills taken are balance, concentration, hide, move silent, disable device, search, open lock, sense motive, tumble. I have minimal ranks in UMD.

The poop:
    I am the only Rogue in the party. That might be important. Yes, strength is a '3'. My greatest difficulty at this point is choosing spells, and feats. Feats I've considered include: Spellcasting Prodigy, Spell Penetration, Practiced Caster, Weapon Finesse, Combat Casting. Any help here would be great.

There will be an Enchanter, a Paladin, and a Cleric (maybe) in the party also. I hope this is enough, or maybe not too much. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Brigham; 2007-04-11 at 01:58 AM. Reason: silly stuff,

24. - Top - End - #384
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would like to request a character :)

1) Level-by-level, with a complete sheet at level 1 and changes per level afterward.
    2) Any book
    3) Human with Natural Lycanthrope Template of a Dire Wolf
    4) Generally unarmed melee fighter. Any class that takes advantage of her insane strength score. Probably focusing into grappling and such disabling abilities. Rend, etc. She very much is the front-line for the Dread Necro, so it's likely that she would have levels is Knight for the "taunting", etc.
    5) 36 point buy, standard
    6) LE
    7) No house rules
    8) She is the highest (and only) cohort of a level 20 Dread Necromancer with a maxed Charisma and Leadership, so her ECL is appropriate for such. LA buy-off for the template. Standard WBL for her level.

Other: She isn't an idiot, but isn't a genius either. Mental scores should be in the 10-14 range most likely, if possible.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    If you don't mind dropping into the Magic of Incarnum book, you could try Barbarian 4/Totemist 2/Totem Rager 5/Bear Warrior 6/Warshaper 3. Instead of being bestial, he'd have a unique link to nature and life.
    iron heart surge is a pretty good way to end frenzied berserker temper tantrums assuming you have acess to tome of battle.

26. - Top - End - #386

BardGuy

I'm considering a character for the next campaign I'm in (whenever that may be), and I'd like some thoughts.

Pretty much, the concept is a dwarven fighter/bard, who eschews any kind of music, and instead takes oration, chanting, stuff like that, serves as a boost to morale and inspiration of others from the front lines. He'd be armored, and probably use spells very little. After battle healing, and maybe some other times when he knows he'd need it.

Any advice on feats, perhaps a PrC that fits that I'm not aware of?

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry to be off topic, but ive been wondering how you roll those abilities for your characters.

As far as i know to roll you abilities you roll 6 times 4D6 and dismiss the lowest die of each 4D6. you note the 6 results and repeat the process 2 times and then you pick one of the three ability lists.

That's what i have just done (and i have done it for the first time, because usually we assign our abilities with the alternative point system)

So my results are ridiculous compared to what you guys always post up there. Here are my results:
    15 | 12 | 12
    12 | 12 | 13
    12 | 09 | 11
    14 | 04 | 12
    10 | 15 | 13
    11 | 11 | 14

Am I doing something wrong? Or why are the stats posted here so high usually?

As an example here is one of the stat rolls posted on the first page:
    Ability Scores: Use these rolls: 18/16/15/13/12/17

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

Could someone please build me a 20th level Assassin Character
    Books: I can use Core + Any Complete book
    Race: Human
    Class: Only PrC be Assassin, Bard/Ranger/Fighter also acceptable, nothing else please
    Ability Scores: 32 point buy
    Alignment: Any evil
    House Rules: None
    Concept: I'm Thinking of a social type of character who is good at going into a tavern, and just blending, who can perform when requested, and an expert archer.
    Other: I would like the character to be able to do well on his own, without always having to rely on a party, but to also be able to help out when in a party situation.
    FISH!

Many Thanks to Djinn for my awesome Avatar

29. - Top - End - #389
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    I'm sorry to be off topic, but ive been wondering how you roll those abilities for your characters.

As far as i know to roll you abilities you roll 6 times 4D6 and dismiss the lowest die of each 4D6. you note the 6 results and repeat the process 2 times and then you pick one of the three ability lists.

That's what i have just done (and i have done it for the first time, because usually we assign our abilities with the alternative point system)

So my results are ridiculous compared to what you guys always post up there. Here are my results:
    15 | 12 | 12
    12 | 12 | 13
    12 | 09 | 11
    14 | 04 | 12
    10 | 15 | 13
    11 | 11 | 14

Am I doing something wrong? Or why are the stats posted here so high usually?

As an example here is one of the stat rolls posted on the first page:

Ouch. Your stats seem a little low for that sort of roll, but I don't think that you can arbitrarily consider any set of stats "low" without other information. There's a lot of different ways to make stats, so my guess is that the stats you saw earlier just used a higher power system of rolling or a really high point buy system. Check the DMG (p. 146, I think, but I'm not sure- either way, it's in the table of contents).

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Your not doing anything wrong. Most people seem to use 28-32 Point Buy. Your middle set of rolls, though, is illegal as the total modifiers are +0. The other two sets have +6 Net Modifiers which puts them in a very reasonable range.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)