New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Character Builder Thread

Tyger: The problem with clerics in an evil party is that they can't cast Cure spells spontaneously. There's a feat which remedies that, though (spontaneous healer). Otherwise, building a cleric is fairly easy. At level 8, you only have 3 feats to play with.

If you want relentless optimisation, then there's the infamous Divine Metacheese build (one of the most powerful playable character types). Basically, take Divine Metamagic and Persistent Spell. Persistent Spell (CArc) lets you cast some spells 6 levels higher to increase the duration to 24 hours, and Divine Metamagic (CDiv) lets you burn turn/rebuke attempts to lower the level of a metamagicked spell down to that of the normal version.
    Then, max out your turn attempts per day. Nightsticks (Libris Mortis) are good for this, as is anything that boosts your Charisma. Your buffs now last all day!
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi omniam pecuniam mihi dabis, saxum immanem ad caput tuum mittam.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Could I get some help with a Warlock/Warblade/Cyran Avenger? I'd like input on level-by-level 3 - 20, with reasons for breakpoints.
    1. I'll be bringing a Warlock 2 to the table, built on 26 yet-to-be-assigned points. Eldritch Glaive and Entropic Warding are already set in stone in my mind.
    * * * * *a. Books that can be used to build your character: Any Eberron source book, Bo9s, XPH, and PH 1 & 2.
    * * * * *b. Race: Human
    * * * * *c. Class: Starting as Warlock 2.
    * * * * *d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method): 26 point buy per DMG.
    * * * * *e. Alignment: CG - DM does not allow evil PCs.
    * * * * *f. House Rules: are there any other requirements or unusual rules imposed on you/your character (e.g. no single level dips, no item creation feats, Track is being given to you as a class skill, etc.): No single level dips, PCs get Skill Focus: [Any one Craft of Profession] for free but must take ranks in that Craft or Profession or lose the Feat.
    * * * * *g. Concept: what requirements or preferences do you have regarding concept? This is a melee-focused build centered in Warlock, i.e. more Warlock levels than Warblade or Cyran Avenger levels - though not more than both combined, necessarily.
    * * * * *h. Other: Is there any other information that might help someone make your character all she can be (e.g., what are others playing, the setting is largely wilderness, the DM is threatening to use a lot of undead, or the campaign will be heavy on combat and light on intrigue)? Others in the party are a Psion (Shaper), a Changeling Bard/Rogue heading to Chameleon, a Warforged Druid, and a Sorcerer. The Druid is after a PrC in Secrets of Xendrik; I don't know much about the Sorcerer's plans other than battlefield control. With that lineup, I've got more of a tank role than I'd originally thought, thus the Warblade/Cyran Avenger.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, let's give this a whirl:

1. I would like to request a level-by-level build to level 20 for a gnome barbarian/frenzied bezerker (and levels of fighter, if needed).

a. I'd like to limit it to the core + Complete Warrior books, but if anything else would help, let me know.
    b. Gnome.
    c. Barbarian
    d. Use the champion build for now (18,16,14,12,10,8).
    e. Chaotic Neutral.
    F. House Rules: None ATM.
    g. Concept: I just want a little gnome that flies into rage/frenzy with his greataxe, but still be fairly smart and civilized.

Thanks in advance. =D
    Last edited by Shott; 2007-05-06 at 01:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Halfling in the Playground

Like to get an opinion on a CHaracter Build. Tis an unarmed combatant paladin. Currently have done as follows:

Human
    STR:15 DEX:14 CON:12 INT:8 WIS:14 CHA:14 (30 point buy)
    10 Ranks Sense Motive, 7 Ranks Knowledge (Religion), 7 Ranks Spot

1. Paladin - True Believer, Power Attack
    2. Paladin
    3. Paladin - Weapon Focus(Unarmed)
    4. Paladin - +1 STR
    5. Monk - Improved Grapple
    6. Monk - Combat Reflexes, Ascetic Knight
    7. Pious Templar - (God is one with favoured weapon Unarmed)
    Last edited by R4ph; 2007-05-08 at 03:44 PM.
    Please note that this material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or instruction.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Pixie in the Playground

Concept -
    I am creating a level 4 Warforged (Scout) Warmage for an upcoming Eberron campaign. I understand that a Warmage is a Cha-based caster, and that Warforged start with a penalty to Cha, so this isn't the most optimized of characters, but I'm really liking the idea of a little robot that walks into a room and starts blasting things.

Stats - 25 point buy
    Racial Modifiers: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha.

After spending 24 points, applying the racial modifiers and adding in my 1 attrib point for level 4, I arrived at this...
    Str: 8
    Con: 10
    Dex: 14
    Wis: 8
    Int: 14
    Cha: 14

I wanted a decent dex to help with AC and touch attacks, and a decent Int and Cha to be able to cast at least moderately well.

Gear -
    I should be starting out with 5000g, plus maybe another 400g or so for my faction. My plan was to get a +Int item with the money, to help with casting damage, but if anyone has a good idea on how to spend the money, I'm all ears.

Feats -
    I don't have the Monster Manual in front of me, but I believe that there is a body enhancement for Warforged called Mithril which grants +5 AC and only counts as light armor. I also don't have the Eberron book in front of me at the moment, but I believe this costs a feat. I'm honestly not sure what to go for with the remaining feat.

I am not completely familiar with Eberron, but I believe that most feats and spells are available. Also, this character is working for a faction, who's name eludes me, which grants access to both the Warmage class and the Warforged (Scout) race.

I know that's a lot of info, but any tips, tweaks, or any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    "It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities... for silence is a fragile thing... One loud noise, and it's gone... A few might take the opportunity to protest, but it'll just be a voice crying in the wilderness."

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

First-round-attack question:
    I'm going to be playing in a one-shot pvp game, at ecl 20, using phb/dmg/mm only, and with 1 million gp to spend. I know that several of the other players will be wizards, and I want to at least take one of them as near to dead as I can before they start being the goddamn Batman. My current build (Githzerai Fighter 4/Monk 4/Swashbuckler 10, with primary weapon as a +1 shock flaming frost spell-storing vicious rapier, storing Vampiric Touch as cast by a level 20 wizard) has a +18 initiative modifier, and the first attack, if it hits, will deal 20d6 damage. With boots of speed (haste as a free action) and monk movement, I'll almost certainly be able to charge the most threatening wizard on my first action...
    Is there a core build that can have me acting faster and striking with similar power?

(restrictions, apart from core-only, are that I can't have custom items, and the 25-point-buy system is being used) ( My character's dex right now is 30, and I could only go 2 higher with a better Manual of Quickness in Action--I decided that another stat would be better)
    Last edited by Winterking; 2007-05-11 at 07:38 AM.
    Winter Is Coming

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Swashbucker isn't in the PHB/DMG/MM.

Vampiric Touch maxes out at 10d6, flaming/frost/vicious add 4d6, base weapon damage adds 1d6 ... I don't see the 20d6, not that 20d6 is likely to down any 20th level character.

If you want to get the first strike we need to know the context, which is to say the arena and the pre-fight rules (buffing). Getting the first attack is easy, but against a prepared caster it's often going to be a miss and not a strike.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2007-05-12 at 08:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by R4ph View Post
    Like to get an opinion on a CHaracter Build. Tis an unarmed combatant paladin. Currently have done as follows:

Human
    STR:15 DEX:14 CON:12 INT:8 WIS:14 CHA:14 (30 point buy)
    10 Ranks Sense Motive, 7 Ranks Knowledge (Religion), 7 Ranks Spot

1. Paladin - True Believer, Power Attack
    2. Paladin
    3. Paladin - Weapon Focus(Unarmed)
    4. Paladin - +1 STR
    5. Monk - Improved Grapple
    6. Monk - Combat Reflexes, Ascetic Knight
    7. Pious Templar - (God is one with favoured weapon Unarmed)
    First, why do you want to play this?

Second, Take your monk levels first. Reasons. 1. In order to get Weapon Focus you must be able to do unarmed attacks - which you get as a 1st level monk. You don't get it as a Paladin. 2. More skill points at a loss of 1 hp.

Third, drop Weapon Focus and pick up something else -Clever Wrestling, Earth Embrace, Extra Stunning, ability focus, Fist of Iron,roundabout kick, raptor school, Sun school, etc.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Im looking for a tripper/disarming duskblade that uses the kusari-gama

Books: I can use Core + Any Complete book + PHBII
    Race: Human
    Class: Lv 6 Duskblade
    Ability Scores: 28 point buy
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Gear: Uses Kusari-Gama (DMG pg 145) and heavy shield, also I rather use chain shirt (the +1 AC for breatsplate isn't worth the -10 ft)
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life

What type of Fae are you?

10. - Top - End - #430
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Here's what I need.

Level: 20
    Class: All I require is all ten levels in Master of Masks. The other 10 can be whatever.
    Stats: 18, 14, 14, 12, 12, 10

Books: All Wizards books are allowed minus Campaign books. Skill Tricks are not going to be used. Nor are any Varients.

Race: Any without Level adjustment.

I'm looking for a strong Character build for an NPC right now for a Campaign I'm working on, and am having trouble coming up with an effective Master of Masks.

He is suppose to be the ring leader of the group, so please make a fitting Skill selection for him. Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive, things like that.
    Last edited by Corncracker; 2007-05-20 at 02:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hello Hello!

Forgive me bad english. Me a lizard man. English fourth language. (Fourth!)

I am looking for help creating a necromancer-type character, to be built from scratch at level 4 and then level-by-level to level 20, for a game that'll be reaching epic levels.

2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
    A. Books: Any!
    B. Race: Up to +2 LA, any allowed.
    C. Class: Also any. Cleric/Wizard preferential but not required!
    D. Ability Scores: Fixed at 18, 18, 17, 15, 13, 11, to be placed anywhere.
    E. Alignment: Any not chaotic Evil.
    F. House Rules: No item creation feats; character is begins play with a spellbook containing all level 1-4th wizard/sorc spells.
    G. Concept: I am seeking a character that will be commanding vast armies of undead, or very powerful undead, as later in the game there will eventually be army fights in which such armies of undead could be useful. Also awesome.
    H. Other: Other characters are ranger, clerics, and fighter-types, not a single arcane-caster, which is why Wizard is preferential (also because of that book I be gettin.)

That is all! many thanks to those who help.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, this looks like a good thread for my character.

Would someone please help with him? I want him built from scratch, from 1 to 10, and heres the crunch.

2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:

a. Books? Core and Libris Mortis.
    b. Race? Human on character sheet, but when campaign starts Undead.

Traits I have at creation:
    - Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    - Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    - Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    - Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    - Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures.
    - Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    - Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    - Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities or resurrection/true resurrection spells. It would take an act of a deific power to return you to ‘living’.
    - Gain bite (M: 1d6; S: 1d4) and slam (M: 1d4; S: 1d3) as natural attacks with damage by size
    - Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.
    - The aforementioned +2 to Strength at creation.

c. Class? Diviner (Wizard)
    d. Ability Scores? 10, 17, 11, 14, 12, 16 to be placed anywhere.
    e. Alignment? Possibly Lawful Good or Chaotic Good or Lawful Neutral.
    f. House Rules: Defense Bonus and Flaws.
    * * * * *g. Concept: A frail, knowledge obessed diviner who has considerable necromanctic knowledge.
    * * * * *h. Other: Everyone else in party is undead, and the kingdom the characters worked for while alive hates undead.

Sooo, can anyone help, please?
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFatGoblin View Post
    - Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities or resurrection/true resurrection spells. It would take an act of a deific power to return you to ‘living’.
    You know there is a spell to raise undead in LM right?
    d. Ability Scores? 10, 17, 11, 14, 12, 16 to be placed anywhere.
    Well the 10 and 17 are easily chosen ;) The rest pretty much fall into place naturally too. str con dex int wis cha : 12 10 16 17 14 11
    e. Alignment? Possibly Lawful Good or Chaotic Good or Lawful Neutral.
    That's a little too wide a target ... I'd advise LN, since it makes it a little easier to use evil spells. Necrotic Cysts are a wonderful thing (be careful though, even necrotic tumor can still be dispelled ... don't go wild with taking over opponents, they can be turned against you).
    f. House Rules: Defense Bonus
    Hmm, that variant has a rather poorly thought out multiclassing mechanic ... at higher levels unlike what the writers say it punishes multiclassing. How strict is your DM about the multiclass rule? If you take something like arch wizard later on will you basically not be getting defense bonus for it's levels? I'm going to assume you can simply stack levels from prestige classes ...
    Sooo, can anyone help, please?
    Prestige class choices are limited, basically there are pale master and loremaster, red wizard and later on archmage (a shoe in) ... I'd simply go straight wizard till archmage.

Lawful neutral undead human diviner 10 (forbidden school enchantment)

Flaws : Feeble and noncombatant (nasty for touch spells) or murky-eyed ( concealment can still be bypassed with true strike if necessary)
    Feats : Great fortitude, spell focus (necromancy), spell focus (evocation), greater spell focus (necromancy), life bond, mother cyst, fell drain, quicken spell, craft rod

Use the lifebond with your familiar, take skill focus (spellcraft) at 12th so you can enter archmage at 13. Craft a lesser metamagic rod of quickening (always handy, you can start off with a fell drain magic missile followed by a necromancy spell for instance). It's a good idea to have some zombie bodyguards if your DM is fond of throwing sun domain clerics at you.

You could also go for an army of undead fell animate + corpse crafter + destruction destribution type character, but it makes play more difficult (too many creatures in play). It would probably also make you especially conspicuous and hunted given the campaign setting. Dominating an opponent with a necrotic cyst is a lot more subtle.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2007-05-20 at 04:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I need some help building a very setting-specific Kobold scouty-type character. I like the idea of being a master of traps and ambushes.

Books: Just about anything goes. DM hasn't vetoed anything *yet*, if it's something he hasn't seen before there's a chance he may. Our group isn't the most trusting of third-party stuff, but we don't automatically veto it unless Monte Cook, Green Ronin, or the word Quintessential is involved.

Race: It's gotta be a kobold. In this more wild setting, they are *not* dragon-descended, but they and the Lizardfolk share a strong common ancestor, a "great race" of the past. No change to stats.

Class: Again, looking for something wilderness scouty. Currently using the Wilderness Rogue variant from Unearthed Arcana, which looks really good for what I want to do.

Ability Scores: 10, 15, 13, 16, 15, 14 rolled up.

Alignment: No restriction, and not entirely sure yet.

House Rules: We're going to have a distinct lack of item-buying later on. 2nd-level start because the setting is full of ECL-1 races. The DM is charging me the same cost as a Heavy Warhorse (400 GP) for my mount. There is no common currency in the setting, so any remaining money should be converted to efficient trade goods.

Concept: Scouty, ambushy, wilderness type. Rides a deinochyus(sp, too lazy to look it up), the common kobold trader's mount in the setting. Yes, my steed is significantly better than I am in combat right now. I want to go for some ranged combat, and skills are more important than outright damage. Being an explorer, social skills are significant: I don't want to give up those 5 ranks in Bluff (and the synergies provided by such) at 2nd level, unless there's a good reason why I should.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm looking for a melee-based fighter, in an Evil campaign which our DM has made stupidly hard (so far, 34 epic-level encounters)

What I was going to use so far was a Minotaur (6HD, LA+2) fighter 4 with a great-axe, but I am open to suggestions.

Rolls (no modifiers added) - 18, 16, 16, 13, 10, 9, 7

ECL = 12

Thanks!
    Last edited by merrja666; 2007-05-23 at 07:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Hi all,

After having seen the greatly entertaining PoC III: At World’s end yesterday, I come up with a highly orignal idea: make a Jack Sparrow character!...
    OK, it’s been done a zillion times before . However, I’d like it as a semi-serious entry for a core duel caster vs non-caster (28-pt buy, normal wbl guidelines, around 88,000 gold) I’d like to do a Jack Sparrow-like non-caster which is fun to play and actually has some chances to survive vs an arcane caster.

My current build idea is roughly the following
    Human, chaotic neutral lvl 10 rogue, lvl 1 cleric (of Calypso? Won’t be able to cast spells, though, see below), lvl 1 barbarian (for the drunken rage thing)
    STR 14 (6)
    DEX 14 (6)
    CON 16 (8 start, 1 level up)
    INT 10 (2, a good average of being genius at some time and stupid another time)
    WIS 8 (obvious, means he is basically a non-caster… )
    CHR 20 (6, two level up, boosted by clothes of CHR+4 -see below. he IS charming, but has a bad breath…)

FEATS (1 human, 5 level): Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Quickdraw, Skill Focus-Bluff
    CLASS ABILITIES: Sneak Attack +5d6, evasion, improved uncanny dodge, trap sense +3, special rogue ability: slippery mind, barbarian rage, 40ft barbarian movement, Rebuke undead (yes, he gets it, 8/day, has good CHR AND channels negative energy. Reflects his dealing with undead, for instance the undead monkey), Cleric domain powers: luck (for that great luck-reroll), and travel (for freedom of movement for 1 round/day- no-one holds a pirate… )
    INITIATIVE +3 (DEX, luck coin-see below)
    HITS (rogue at 1st level, averages): 85
    SAVES: Fort +11, Refl +10, Will +4 (incl. +1 from luck coin-see below)
    AC 13 (DEX +2, dodge; 17 with total defense, or 16 with fighting defensively)
    SKILLS (rogue at 1st level, total points with human bonus points: 125): max bluff (his main attack! Could be with 15 ranks, +1 luck, +5 CHR, +3 skill focus already at +24). And likely skills as appraisal, tumble, balance, jump, sleight of hand, diplomacy; but only some ranks in hide and move silently (he rarely does it in the movies), plus maybe a bit of religion and spellcraft.
    EQUIPMENT: luck coin (as luck stone, 20,000gp), luck blade (grants 1 luck-reroll per day, 22,060 gp, unfortunately the luck bonus does not stack with the coin), 2 masterwork pistols (use handcrossbow stats in core, 400gp each), clothes of CHR +4 (as the cloak, 16,000gp. He DOES look smart in that outfit), alcoholic beverage-potions of glibness (boosts bluff to absurd +54, enough to explain his survival of tight situations), good hope and tongues (1,050 the first two, and 750 gp the latter, remember his ability to talk to the natives?). Around 20,000 gp still left- maybe the Black Pearl? Unfortunately, a galley costs 30,000 gp…hmmm (and he cannot take it with him to combat, so it’s no use…)

Now, the will save is abysmal – but with slippery mind, rage and his luck re-roll he may have a chance in some cases…

Any more ideas? Are there any rules on the effect of alcohol? Plus, I did not figure out what item would fit the compass best yet.

Thanks for any help!

- Giacomo

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Linky

I would like to get some feedback on this character. Crunch only, fluff I made in a moment.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why is everybody asking and no-one answering?
    Okay, let's get involved. DON'T take my names too serious, I'm just translating them...

Hi all,

After having seen the greatly entertaining PoC III: At World’s end yesterday, I come up with a highly orignal idea: make a Jack Sparrow character!...
    OK, it’s been done a zillion times before . However, I’d like it as a semi-serious entry for a core duel caster vs non-caster (28-pt buy, normal wbl guidelines, around 88,000 gold) I’d like to do a Jack Sparrow-like non-caster which is fun to play and actually has some chances to survive vs an arcane caster.

My current build idea is roughly the following
    Human, chaotic neutral lvl 10 rogue, lvl 1 cleric (of Calypso? Won’t be able to cast spells, though, see below), lvl 1 barbarian (for the drunken rage thing)
    STR 14 (6)
    DEX 14 (6)
    CON 16 (8 start, 1 level up)
    INT 10 (2, a good average of being genius at some time and stupid another time)
    WIS 8 (obvious, means he is basically a non-caster… )
    CHR 20 (6, two level up, boosted by clothes of CHR+4 -see below. he IS charming, but has a bad breath…)

FEATS (1 human, 5 level): Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Quickdraw, Skill Focus-Bluff
    CLASS ABILITIES: Sneak Attack +5d6, evasion, improved uncanny dodge, trap sense +3, special rogue ability: slippery mind, barbarian rage, 40ft barbarian movement, Rebuke undead (yes, he gets it, 8/day, has good CHR AND channels negative energy. Reflects his dealing with undead, for instance the undead monkey), Cleric domain powers: luck (for that great luck-reroll), and travel (for freedom of movement for 1 round/day- no-one holds a pirate… )
    INITIATIVE +3 (DEX, luck coin-see below)
    HITS (rogue at 1st level, averages): 85
    SAVES: Fort +11, Refl +10, Will +4 (incl. +1 from luck coin-see below)
    AC 13 (DEX +2, dodge; 17 with total defense, or 16 with fighting defensively)
    SKILLS (rogue at 1st level, total points with human bonus points: 125): max bluff (his main attack! Could be with 15 ranks, +1 luck, +5 CHR, +3 skill focus already at +24). And likely skills as appraisal, tumble, balance, jump, sleight of hand, diplomacy; but only some ranks in hide and move silently (he rarely does it in the movies), plus maybe a bit of religion and spellcraft.
    EQUIPMENT: luck coin (as luck stone, 20,000gp), luck blade (grants 1 luck-reroll per day, 22,060 gp, unfortunately the luck bonus does not stack with the coin), 2 masterwork pistols (use handcrossbow stats in core, 400gp each), clothes of CHR +4 (as the cloak, 16,000gp. He DOES look smart in that outfit), alcoholic beverage-potions of glibness (boosts bluff to absurd +54, enough to explain his survival of tight situations), good hope and tongues (1,050 the first two, and 750 gp the latter, remember his ability to talk to the natives?). Around 20,000 gp still left- maybe the Black Pearl? Unfortunately, a galley costs 30,000 gp…hmmm (and he cannot take it with him to combat, so it’s no use…)

Now, the will save is abysmal – but with slippery mind, rage and his luck re-roll he may have a chance in some cases…

Any more ideas? Are there any rules on the effect of alcohol? Plus, I did not figure out what item would fit the compass best yet.

Thanks for any help!

- Giacomo

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING NOT GETTING THE PEARL? ARE YOU MAD?
    Anyway, he can't be a cleric, and not Calypso's anyway (he is one of the nine pirates that are binding her, remember?). Dealing with undeads? The monkey only makes him mad by attempting to his hat... And I don't get the barbarian thing. You forgot to include at least 1 level in bard class: Perform (oratory) and bardic music. Talk to your DM about a bard without spells, that would be perfect.
    The compass? There's a kind of alignment phylactery in DMG; just change it in an "I know what I want" thing and it'll work.

NEXT

I'm looking for a melee-based fighter, in an Evil campaign which our DM has made stupidly hard (so far, 34 epic-level encounters)

What I was going to use so far was a Minotaur (6HD, LA+2) fighter 4 with a great-axe, but I am open to suggestions.

Rolls (no modifiers added) - 18, 16, 16, 13, 10, 9, 7

ECL = 12

Thanks!

Bbr 1; Fgh 4; Rgr 1; Berserker 1; Bear fighter 1; Combat shapeshifter (hope it's right...) 2; Bear fighter 4; Berserker 5 feral (Savage Cheeses, whoops, I mean, Species) human. At ECL 12 is Bbr1/Fgh4/Rgr1/Bsk1/Bear3/Cbshape2 feral human.
    THIS IS GODLY BROKEN, but I understand this is the right situation in which you should use it. Minotaur is crap, if you want to know. If you play that for flavour, add feral anyway and start as bbr and bsk.

NEXT

I need some help building a very setting-specific Kobold scouty-type character. I like the idea of being a master of traps and ambushes.

Books: Just about anything goes. DM hasn't vetoed anything *yet*, if it's something he hasn't seen before there's a chance he may. Our group isn't the most trusting of third-party stuff, but we don't automatically veto it unless Monte Cook, Green Ronin, or the word Quintessential is involved.

Race: It's gotta be a kobold. In this more wild setting, they are *not* dragon-descended, but they and the Lizardfolk share a strong common ancestor, a "great race" of the past. No change to stats.

Class: Again, looking for something wilderness scouty. Currently using the Wilderness Rogue variant from Unearthed Arcana, which looks really good for what I want to do.

Ability Scores: 10, 15, 13, 16, 15, 14 rolled up.

Alignment: No restriction, and not entirely sure yet.

House Rules: We're going to have a distinct lack of item-buying later on. 2nd-level start because the setting is full of ECL-1 races. The DM is charging me the same cost as a Heavy Warhorse (400 GP) for my mount. There is no common currency in the setting, so any remaining money should be converted to efficient trade goods.

Concept: Scouty, ambushy, wilderness type. Rides a deinochyus(sp, too lazy to look it up), the common kobold trader's mount in the setting. Yes, my steed is significantly better than I am in combat right now. I want to go for some ranged combat, and skills are more important than outright damage. Being an explorer, social skills are significant: I don't want to give up those 5 ranks in Bluff (and the synergies provided by such) at 2nd level, unless there's a good reason why I should.

Look, there isn't much that should be said. Only remember that being totally clueless in combat is boring. I don't remember if that variant you're playing is giving up sneak attack. If it is, laaaaame, you should play a 1st level ranger 1st level scout instead. Anyway, being an explorer, you should pay more attention to flavour than to church.
    Stats:good with that order. Max out dex from now on: int boost doesn't get you that much SP, you know.

NEXT

oh! an answer!

NEXT

Hello Hello!

Forgive me bad english. Me a lizard man. English fourth language. (Fourth!)

I am looking for help creating a necromancer-type character, to be built from scratch at level 4 and then level-by-level to level 20, for a game that'll be reaching epic levels.

A. Books: Any!
    B. Race: Up to +2 LA, any allowed.
    C. Class: Also any. Cleric/Wizard preferential but not required!
    D. Ability Scores: Fixed at 18, 18, 17, 15, 13, 11, to be placed anywhere.
    E. Alignment: Any not chaotic Evil.
    F. House Rules: No item creation feats; character is begins play with a spellbook containing all level 1-4th wizard/sorc spells.
    G. Concept: I am seeking a character that will be commanding vast armies of undead, or very powerful undead, as later in the game there will eventually be army fights in which such armies of undead could be useful. Also awesome.
    H. Other: Other characters are ranger, clerics, and fighter-types, not a single arcane-caster, which is why Wizard is preferential (also because of that book I be gettin.)

That is all! many thanks to those who help.

Well, you should try The Logic Ninja's Guide to Batman. I found it absolutely MARVELOUS. Stick to the character, take a good PrC, I don't know anyone that fits you well, but you can search it in Liber Mortis. Not much of an help am I?
    Sorry

NEXT

Im looking for a tripper/disarming duskblade that uses the kusari-gama

Books: I can use Core + Any Complete book + PHBII
    Race: Human
    Class: Lv 6 Duskblade
    Ability Scores: 28 point buy
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Gear: Uses Kusari-Gama (DMG pg 145) and heavy shield, also I rather use chain shirt (the +1 AC for breatsplate isn't worth the -10 ft)

Good armour choice, but get it in mithral sooner or later.
    Stats: STR 10 DEX 16 CON 15 (+1 at 4th level) INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 8 (4 points left for the main spellcasting ability score, I don't know which one is it...)
    Feats: Proficiency, W. Focus, W. Finesse, Improved Disarm and requisites of those should be picked. Finess before Focus(it's +3vs+1). Get Monkey's Grasp to wield a Big weapon and get another +4 to Disarm checks, paying a -2 to hits.

NOW. I scratched many answers, people will come out to say why I'm wrong so you should be OK, and if they don't pop up you will be OK with my little aid.

Let's get to MY request:
    an effective Ultimate Magus. I'm ECL 13, CG, human. I NEED leadership, and I'm planning to go Archmage. I would be the party's Batman, but I don't give a rat's ass on how little optimized I am. I'm gonna be captain of an airship. All I need is 5 levels of requisites and a little advice on what to take.
    Thanks
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

19. - Top - End - #439
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winterking View Post
    First-round-attack question:
    I'm going to be playing in a one-shot pvp game, at ecl 20, using phb/dmg/mm only, and with 1 million gp to spend. I know that several of the other players will be wizards, and I want to at least take one of them as near to dead as I can before they start being the goddamn Batman. My current build (Githzerai Fighter 4/Monk 4/Swashbuckler 10, with primary weapon as a +1 shock flaming frost spell-storing vicious rapier, storing Vampiric Touch as cast by a level 20 wizard) has a +18 initiative modifier, and the first attack, if it hits, will deal 20d6 damage. With boots of speed (haste as a free action) and monk movement, I'll almost certainly be able to charge the most threatening wizard on my first action...
    Is there a core build that can have me acting faster and striking with similar power?

(restrictions, apart from core-only, are that I can't have custom items, and the 25-point-buy system is being used) ( My character's dex right now is 30, and I could only go 2 higher with a better Manual of Quickness in Action--I decided that another stat would be better)
    Hi,

you could try the duelist prestige class, it gets another +4 to initiative eventually, plus you can charge over uneven terrain (tables etc.) to get to that opponent wizard.
    If you want to go even faster, get a luck blade for 22,060 gp which allows you a re-roll of one roll/day. That it an extraordinary ability, so you could use an AMF around you while charging, effectively rendering the opponent spellcaster helpless. The AMF you can get with a ring of spell storing (a bit expensive), or by getting rogue levels for maxing UMD and cast it yourself from a scroll (as was said before, the swashbuckler is non-core).
    Maybe go rogue 2 lvls/fighter 6 lvls/2 paladin lvls (if you have UMD, you may have high CHR and be an even more attractive core "swashbuckler) and then 10 levels duelist.

@The Mormegil: Thanks for your hints! The build might drop the luck coin (after all, the coin was shown to be fake on part III!), so he has plenty of money for the Black Pearl (but in an arena-like combat that does not amount to much...)
    The cleric could also be not worshipping any deity, just his own strange "codex" . The barbarian is there for the drunken rage or some such. Does anyone know the rules for drinking alcohol? Malus to DEX and Bonus to STR? well...The phylactery is a great idea, will try to look into that.

Unfortunately, my optimisation knowledge ends at the core rules, so I do not know what to say on an ultimate magus build. Sorry!

- Giacomo

20. - Top - End - #440
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am looking for a druidic lich BBEG with a undead animal companion that can challenge (not kill) 4 level 8 druids.

SRD only would be prefered, although you can use most books, as long as you tell me what the feat, spell, etc does.

I want the race to be human or elf, with the lich template above that.

Ability scores can be anything you want, although a 32 point buy would be nice.

Feel free to fudge the rules a bit, for instance a spellcaster does not need to be level 11 to become a lich. Any undead creatures that accompany this lich would be nice also. I want the creatures to be animals, with undead abilities on top (again, feel free to bend the rules). Any help (spell list, animal companion, creatures, or even a finished BBEG) would be very much apprieciated. PM me with what you have.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, this is abit wacky, but I need a build that, allthough it has sever limitations, still kicks enough ass to be playable or at least annoying enough for the DM to kill off....

and now to the unsavory stuff:

- ECL 8, Drow, with at least a few bard lvls (will become Carlos Ximenez, pseudo-mexican Drow-Mariachi)
    - Base Stats(without race or lvl bonus): 15, 13, 13, 11, 9, 6
    - Available Splatbooks: Complete -scoundrel and champion, Eberron supplements and campaign book

I´ll try to come up with something myself, though any input would be very welcome.....
    Also, thanks to Wayril for the nice Avatar!

Mourning Ashigaru of the - Fanclub

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

1. I was wondering if someone could assist me in creating a 4th level Cleric of Shar, hopefully with a level progression so I can tweak if needed.

Books: I've got access to the PHB 3.5, DMG, Races of the Wild, Races of Destiny, Races of Stone, The compelte 3.0 & 3.5 Forgotten Realms source book collection up until this date

Race: I'd prefer Human, but if you can swing in any of the other core races (those from the PHB) then by all means do so.

Class: As above, Cleric level 4, but if you want to dabble in something else by all means do so (I just need a level 4 antagonist)

Ability Scores: 3d6 Flip lowest (1 becomes 6), then place

Alignment: Doesn't matter

Concept: Sneaking and hiding are core to this concept, as is knowledge of nature and religion. Her mother is an elven priestess, while her father is a human scout. Prefer fighting with longsword and kukri, but not necessary.

Other: The Cleric of Shar, is going to be an antagonist for an upcoming adventure, and I don't expect him/her to survive (although I'd like to make my PC's pay a price when they bring him / her down)

The Cleric is commanding a group of bandits operating out of The Hermit Wood in South Eastern Cormyr (Forgotten Realms) and is raiding passing merchant traffic taking both Goods, and People. I'd like him to be somewhat optimized because I want him to be a pain to take down.

Expect average character wealth -10% and if he can afford it, he can own it. He's actually part of the Church that is involved in Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave, and this adventure serves to tie the group into the story line.

If you require additional info, Please let me know.

23. - Top - End - #443

1. I'm curious as to whether anyone could help me design an 11th level priest of Apollo.

a. Any standard 3.5 rulebook or supplement may be used, but no books that have not been officially published under the 3.5 standard.
    b. Race should be Human. Not an elf, however.
    c. Since this is a priest of Apollo, I want to start him out as a cleric. Prestige Classes are okay, however, if they mesh with the concept. Tweaking existing Prestige classes that seem to fit is okay. (E.g., Radiant Servant of Pelor from the Complete Divine is easily tweakable.)
    d. Statistics must be generated on a 25 point purchase system.
    e. Alignment is pretty much Lawful Good, or possibly Neutral Good.
    f. No monks are allowed in this campaign. The feat Persistent Spell has also been disallowed.
    g. Concept - this is a priest of Apollo, god of the Sun, and patron god of archers. He's meant to be as skilled an archer as possible, while sacrificing as little clerical ability as possible. Apollo is also rather a pretty-boy, so Charisma should stay reasonably high to keep in concept.
    Last edited by Frozen_Northman; 2007-06-05 at 12:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Northman View Post
    1. I'm curious as to whether anyone could help me design a priest of Apollo.

a. Any standard 3.5 rulebook or supplement may be used, but no books that have not been officially published under the 3.5 standard.
    b. Race should be Human. Not an elf, however.
    c. Since this is a priest of Apollo, I want to start him out as a cleric. Prestige Classes are okay, however, if they mesh with the concept. Tweaking existing Prestige classes that seem to fit is okay. (E.g., Radiant Servant of Pelor from the Complete Divine is easily tweakable.)
    d. Statistics must be generated on a 25 point purchase system.
    e. Alignment is pretty much Lawful Good, or possibly Neutral Good.
    f. No monks are allowed in this campaign. The feat Persistent Spell has also been disallowed.
    g. Concept - this is a priest of Apollo, god of the Sun, and patron god of archers. He's meant to be as skilled an archer as possible, while sacrificing as little clerical ability as possible. Apollo is also rather a pretty-boy, so Charisma should stay reasonably high to keep in concept.
    Are you completely wedded to the Cleric class? (i.e. would a Favored Soul be an option)?

25. - Top - End - #445

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Are you completely wedded to the Cleric class? (i.e. would a Favored Soul be an option)?
    I'm certainly willing to consider Favored Soul type builds, though my natural preference is for the Cleric. If he were to go the Favored Soul route, I'd want to make sure that at least some of his chosen spells be dedicated to healing.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the extra ability points in CHA make it a little interesting; they'd really synergize better with a class that uses them (like Favored Soul). But, we'll give Cleric a try. For a Middle Aged character:

STR 12
    DEX 9
    CON 10
    INT 10
    WIS 17
    CHA 12

Domains: Sun, Healing

Feats:
    1 Proficiency (Longbow)
    1 (human) Scribe Scroll
    1 (Flaw) Weak Will
    1 (from Flaw) Zen Archery
    3 Extra Turning
    6 Extend Spell
    9 Divine Metamagic (Extend)
    12 Reach Spell (from CDiv)
    15 Precise Shot
    18 Craft Wand

Class Progression: Cleric6/Radiant Servant 10/Church Inquisitor 4
    Stat bumps: 4 (Wis) 8 (Wis) 12 (Wis) 16 (Dex) 20 (Wis)

Make sure you keep your skill points up to meet the prereqs for Radiant Servant and Church Inquisitor. Shouldn't be too hard, but just so you know.

If your DM doesn't allow flaws, ditch Scribe Scroll for Zen Archery. Scribe is very nice to have for spells you didn't prepare that day, but not utterly necessary. Or, if you don't mind losing out on the automatic heal spell Empower from Radiant Servant, switch out the Healing domain for the War domain, and use the feat on Scribe.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkortekaas View Post
    1. I was wondering if someone could assist me in creating a 4th level Cleric of Shar, hopefully with a level progression so I can tweak if needed.
    (5,000 GP, 32 pts.)

Elven Female Cleric of Shar AB 3(6/7), AC 15, HP 21,
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Attributes: Strength 14, Dexterity 14, Constitution 10, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 15, Charisma 14,
    Saves: Fortitude +6, Reflex +3, Willpower +6,
    Feats: Stealthy, Point Blank Shot,
    Skills: Observe 0(4), Listen 0(4), Search 1(5), Sneak 3(7), Hide 3(7), Knowledge Religion 7(9), Spell Craft 7(9),
    Equipment: Leather Armour +1,* Long Sword +1 (1D8+3), Masterwork Dagger (1D4+2), Composite Long Bow for Strength +2, 20 Arrows +1 (1D8+4),

Domains: Evil, Darkness,
    Prepared Spells: 5/4+1/3+1,

*A more heavily armoured variant would have Mail Armour +1 and a Heavy Shield to get AC 20.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-06-06 at 11:39 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

28. - Top - End - #448
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Suggested character build

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Northman View Post
    ... 11th level priest of Apollo ...
    Cleric 6/Radiant Servant of [Apollo] (CDiv)/Contemplative 1 (CDiv)

Domains: War and Sun. Glory Domain (SC) at level 11.

(Apollo isn't a war-god as such, but the war domain is the only domain available that represents divinely granted skill with a bow. Also, it lets you use the insanely good Holy warrior feat. )

25 point buy ability scores:

Str 10
    Dex 14
    Con 14
    Int 8
    Wis 14
    Cha 13

+2 Wis lv 4/8, +2 Wis from item.

Feats (1,1,3,6,9):

Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Divine Spell Power (CDiv), Extra Turning, Holy Warrior (CCha)

Zen Archery (CWar) looked good until I realized that Rapid Shot requires Dex 13.

Divine Spell Power: The +1 from Cha, the +3 from the Circlet of Persuasion, +2 from the Glory Domain, +2 from Knowledge (Religion) and +3 from the feat adds up to +11 on the turning check. That means you'll never get a penalty on you caster level when using the feat. With some extra effort (Eagle's Splendor, Ray of Hope [lv 1, BoED]) you can increase you chances of a +4 further. This will matter by level 12+, when CL 16 is in range. Remember, you don't have to cast the spell if the check isn't good. Just try again.

Typical spells prepared (Wis 18, 5th level slot relic).

I've made a few additional suggestions in parentheses.

Lv 6 (1+1): Heal, Blade Barrier* (don't cast, used for reserve feat.)
    (Stone Body [SC], note -4 Dex vs Rapid Shot)

Lv 5 (2-1+1): Righteous Might**, Flame Strike*
    (Healing Circle [CCha], Surge of Fortune [CCha], Divine Agility [SC])

Lv 4 (3+1+1): 2x Divine Power, Greater Magic Weapon**, Air Walk, Divine Power*
    (Lesser Holy Transformation [SC], Mass Shield of Faith [SC], Celestial Brilliance [BoED])

Lv 3 (4+1+1): Dispel Magic, Daylight, Invisibility Purge, Mass Conviction (SC)**, Magic Vestment**, Magic Vestment*
    (Light of Wisdom [CCha], Mass Resist Energy [SC])

Lv 2 (4+1+1): Cat's Grace, Silence, Remove Paralysis, Elation (BoED), Eagle's Splendor, Bless Weapon*

Lv 1 (5+2+1): 2x Divine Favor, 2x Shield of Faith**, Eyes of the Avoreal (BoED), Blessed Aim (SC), Nimbus of Light (SC), Endure Elements*

* Domain spell
    ** Get caster level 12+ if you can with Divine Spell Power

Spell tactics: Divide the spells into categories based on duration. Spells that last hours (magic vestment, greater magic weapon) can often be cast in the morning. 10 min/level spells (air walk, eyes of the avoreal, mass conviction) will easily last an entire "dungeon". 1 min/level spells (righteous might, shield of faith, cat's grace) can last for several battles if the party keeps pushing forward. You'll rarely be able to spend more than a round or two casting short duration spells so prepare the best spells (like divine power and divine favor) more than once and use them at the start of each major battle.

Equipment:
    4000 Ring of Counterspells (Dispel Magic)
    9170 +1 Animated Steel Shield
    11200 +1 Mithral Breastplate of Speed (MIC 14)
    9400 Bow of the Wintermoon (Relic, MIC 48) w/ Precise (MIC 40)
    2500 Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection (MIC 25)
    6000 [Vest] (Torso, MIC 234) of Natural Armor +1 and Resistance +2
    3000 Lesser Crystal of Fire Energy Assault (MIC 64)
    1400 Anklet of Translocation (MIC 71)
    2500 Goggles of Foefinding (MIC 108)
    2500 Vanisher Cloak (MIC 145)
    5000 Amulet of Fortune Prevailing (MIC 69)
    8500 Circlet of Persuasion and (Head, MIC 234) Wisdom +2

830 Left (buy some specialty arrows)

To buy: Lesser Rod of Extension, +Str, Dex, Con, Cha, Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Ring of Enduring Arcana (CMag)

Some Boots of Speed would be good, but I went for the 3/day haste armor ability and the Precise ability instead.

The Bow of Wintermoon is a relic item for Corellon Larethian, but it looks like a good fit for Apollo if you adapt the relic powers a little. The ability to always use your full Str bonus on damage makes the bow more than worth it even without relic powers. (The by far best bow available is the 22600 gp Energy Bow from the Animated Series Handbook, but the DM may not allow it and it will require some serious budget cutting for the rest of your items.)

Basic battle tactics: A typical battle starts with you buffed up with longer duration spells and casting divine power. For a less dangerous opponent you could just settle for divine favor. Use both and add righteous might for the full buffster-experience. Then you just stand back and use rapid shot on anything hostile that moves. The goggles and the precise weapon ability ensures that you don't have to worry about party members getting in the way. Use the cloak if you get in trouble or have to bail out a party member.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

A Cleric of Fharlanghn DMPC to assist a solo Changeling Rogue/Bard in Gestalt
    1. Which of the above are you asking for?
    * * *a. First level, that's all.
    * * * * *a. Core, XPH, Comp Cycle 1, CompSco, CompMage, HoB, RoE, MIC, MM2&3, MoI, WoL
    * * * * *b. Human, if not something that fits.
    * * * * *c. Cleric and something else that makes sense.
    * * * * *d. 28 point-buy
    * * * * *e. True Neutral or something else with sense.
    * * * * *f. House Rules: Option to replace turning with another [Divine] feat with no >Lv1 pre-reqs. Also trading in Heavy and Medium Armor Proficiency to get a bonus feat.
    * * * * *g. Concept: Passive and focused on The Great Journey. Has slightly more focus on speed buffs than normal clerics.
    * * * * *h. Other: Light combat, heavy social and intrigue.
    Libras D'lnar avatar by CSK

30. - Top - End - #450

I need a TWF Kalashtar Soulknife/Dervish. As much as I've tried, I can't seem to get the character to be a decent character until around 13th level...anyway.
    Wondering if anyone out there has any ideas of how to build a Kalashtar using two Mindblades, doing a Dervish Dance, with the lowest possible ECL without being too mechincally weak? (it's a rather powerful campaign)
    Books: Anything WotC, though I only have access to SRD + Completes + PHB/DMGII + Ebberon + Races of, and a few smattering of 3.0 books.
    Race: Kalashtar
    Class: Soulknife and Dervish, the rest is up to you (though Tempest or Monk would be cool)
    Ability Scores: 28 pb
    Alignment: LN
    House Rules: INT Backdates, and permenant INT enhancement bonuses give skill points/languages.
    Concept: One man army/geurilla trying to stop the expansion of Dal Qat, (sp?) the Inspired outpost in Xen'drik. One of those Kalashtars who follow the Path of Shadows.
    Other: Money is not an issue for the character, though he will tend to be rather ascetic. Must be able to fight against multiple opponents (though Dervish Dance covers that). I would prefer both weapons to be treated as magic for passing DR.
    I think that covers everything.