New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Orc in the Playground

Default Looking to build a Fochlucan Lyrist

Hello there everyone. I was hoping to get some help building a character for Living Greyhawk.

I've already played the 1st level character, Verna Brushgather, a few times, but that was in 3.0, and I haven't converted her yet, and she's still only 1st level, so I can actually rebuild her from scratch.

I have a basic idea of the character's background, and personality. When I read the write up on Fochlucan Lyrist, it seemed like someone wrote the prestige class just for her and made me want to take her out of retirement.

I previously built her as a tall fellow halfling. She grew up in a halfling caravan. She loved signing, but helped take care of general business for the caravan. When I previously built her, she was one of the caravan's cooks... and if possible that's a roleplaying aspect I'd like to keep. She loved to sing, and play the lute or lap harp, as well as telling stories. She often played distraction for some of her relatives that persctibed to the view that just because a resource has already been gathered doesn't mean you can't gather it again. And that includes the metal used in coins.

I previously built her to the concept of a social rogue who was also good with her senses, and was relatively good in combat. I did this by using the rogue class. Unfortunately, because my local groups don't get to many rogues, and people always demand to know your classes, rather than being content with being told you're the group face and singer, they demanded to know I used the rogue class, and then expected me to know how to disarm traps and open locks, which are skills I hadn't given my character.

I'd like some help re-building this character to optimize her while preserving at least some of her feel. I also want to head for Fochlucan Lyrist.

My "Standard Form" from the first post is below.

1. Which of the above are you asking for?
    * * *a. From Scratch, level by level to entry to Fochlucan Lyrist
    2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
    * * * * *a. Books that can be used to build your character
    Anything that's legal in Living Greyhawk, but I'd prefer to keep it to the Core, + Races of the Wild, + the following books from the Complete Series: Warrior, Adventurer, Divine, Arcane, Scoundrel
    * * * * *b. Race (including any Level Adjustment Limits)
    I'd prefer to stick to Tallfellow halfling, but if someone makes a good case for another halfling race, or for switching to elf, I might be up for that.
    * * * * *c. Class
    Fochlucan Lyrist Prestige Class. Two ways of getting evasion I was thinking of were rogue, and master thrower.
    * * * * *d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method)
    Can be rebuilt.
    * * * * *e. Alignment
    NG
    * * * * *f. House Rules: are there any other requirements or unusual rules imposed on you/your character (e.g. no single level dips, no item creation feats, Track is being given to you as a class skill, etc.)
    The Living greyhawk campaign documentation can be found from the link at he start of my post. Mostly it just forbids accessing some things. It should be noted that I cannot take any feats or spells that are not core until I am at least 3rd level.
    * * * * *g. Concept: what requirements or preferences do you have regarding concept?
    Er, sorry, gave a fair amount of detail on that one above, I think.
    * * * * *h. Other: Is there any other information that might help someone make your character all she can be (e.g., what are others playing, the setting is largely wilderness, the DM is threatening to use a lot of undead, or the campaign will be heavy on combat and light on intrigue)?

I'm from the Dyvers region, which includes a section of the Gnarly forest which is this world's equivalent of the Fanghorn forest. In this area we have ancient orders of druids, who have trained up volunteers from the local city-state of Dyvers to become the "Gnarly Rangers" (who are generally considered to be incompetent, due to every one of them that shows up in a mod being shown to be so). We also are on the Velvedyver river, a major trade river which leads to Greyhawk city.

As for the thieves guild, there is no theive's guild! (Don't gank me!) However there is an alliance of several perfectly legal buisness. No, really! This includes a performing arts guild, which the Bards guild is 'friendly' towards. You must have a license to make money by performing within the city limits, otherwise you get arrested for "begging." The guild has recently become easier to join. Rather than having to find someone at a convention, you can just have a DM sign a certificate (the difficulty in joining the guild was another reason I didn't choose to go bard for 1st level before).

The free city of Dyvers has as it's main diety Zilchus, the diety of money. If you want something in Dyvers, you can get it. Even if that something is a someone. You just need enough money. The government is considered to be Lawful Neutral.
    Many people, however, especially those who are not from the city it's self, but the surrounding areas, such as druids, rangers, monks, etc, are still good hearted, and may even be heroic. Still, they have often had a bit of the Dyvers entrapenurial nature rub off on them. So while you might help even without payment, it's customary to at least -ask- for it in -most- cases.

One notable exception to this 'entrepreneurial spirit' that saw many people step up to become heros was: Random farmer begs you to rescue his wife and kids.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Character Builder Thread

The harsh part about qualifying for Fochluchian Lyrist is the Evasion prerequite, which means you will have to take a two level dip into Rogue, since bards can't be lawful so monks are out of the question. Instead of taking two levels in Rogue, I am giving this lyrist two levels in Divine Oracle, making her a hedge wizard kinda seer, imagine the halfling caravan's charlatan precognizant with her crystal ball and tarot cards. Two levels of Divine Oracle(Complete Divine) nets you Prescient Sense which functions exactly like Evasion(including for prc and feat qualification) except that it also works in medium and heavy armor. You will be given two caster levels, you may want to boost your bard caster level to five or just take your Druidic caster level to 7 before entering the PRC: Your choice.

1 - 3 Bard
    4 - 8 Druid
    9 Divine Oracle
    10 Divine Oracle
    11-20 Fochluchian Lyrist
    You will either be a 15th level bard/15th level druid or a 17th level druid/13th level bard.

Alternatively, You can opt for a single level Druid dip.
    1-7 Bard
    8 Druid
    9-10 Divine Oracle
    11-20 Fochluchian Lyrist
    You will be a 19th level bard/11 level druid.

Or you can take a single bard dip instead:
    1 Bard
    2-6 Druid
    7-10 Divine Oracle (boost your bard caster levels twice, your druid caster levels twice)
    11-20 Fochluchian Lyrist
    This is also 17th level druid and 13th level bard.

Divine oracle only has a single feat as prerequisite: Skill Focus (knowledge: religion) plus eight ranks in knowledge religion and the ability to cats third level spells. You gain access to the Oracle Domain as well, further expanding your repertoire.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Orc in the Playground

Pardon, but where does the information that prescient sense counts as evasion for prestige class access come from? Is this an Errata, or one of the campaign rules I am missing, or a house ruling?

4. - Top - End - #544

HalflingRangerGuy

The class ability says that it is evasion minus the armor limitation; whenever a class ability emulates a feat with addenda or exceptions, it also qualifies you for prc's or feats as long as the circumstances of the addenda or exception are still met. The most popular example of this is the combat mastery feats of a ranger, they do not actually have the twf or manyshot tree feats but they are treated as such when wearing light or no armor. The prescient sense ability functions as Evasion except that it works regardless of the type of armor you are wearing. I wish I can quote a book on this now but I will edit this post later when I have the information at hand.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Orc in the Playground

It describes the ability, as granted, in terms of what it does, not in terms of it being evasion, but it does later call it "this form of evasion."

I'm still debating between bard and druid, but druid does seem like it has a much more powerful spell list, so I'm thinking I'd want to go that rout.

Do you have any suggestions for a Druid heavy build that avoids paying double skill costs for the required prestige class skill requirements?

Any feat suggestions?
    Last edited by Josh the Aspie; 2007-08-06 at 02:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I need a build that works around paralyzing and stunning players through touch. Also Str and dex damage as well, mostly like mai from avatar who would stop them from bending by just hitting the pressure points. lvl 10 btw
    Last edited by Rathma; 2007-08-07 at 01:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547

HalflingRangerGuy

You mean Tai Lee, Mae is the dart goth chick. Anyway, it's not possible at level ten. Tai Lee is at least level 12, hurhur.
    Strongheart Halfling Rogue 10/Monk 10
    Spoiler
    Show
    Racial Two Weapon Fighting
    1 Monk1 Stunning Fist, Ability Focus(Stunning Fist)
    2 Rog1
    3 Monk2 Weapon Finesse(second level halfling monk substitution level RotW), Ascetic Rogue
    4 Rog2
    5 Rog3
    6 Rog4 Weakening Touch
    7 Rog5
    8 Rog6
    9 Rog7 Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    10 Rog8
    11 Rog9
    12 Rog10 Crippling Strike Snapkick
    13 Monk3
    14 Monk4
    15 Monk5 Savvy Rogue
    16 Monk6
    17 Monk7 Size Matters Not(Halfling monk substitution level)
    18 Monk8 Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    19 Monk9
    20 Monk10

The idea is to get as many Crippling Strikes in as possible. Someone else might suggest Freeze the Lifeblood, but I don't believe in allowing saves. LOLz. Flurry+Snapkick+TWF/ITWF nets you six attacks by level 12, your damage dice doesn't matter, that is 12 STR damage, add weakening touch for a -6 penalty. Dex based characters and arcane spellcasters should be paralyzed by then. Melee opponents should be having a hard time doing anything effectively, remember that Power Attack has a STR 13 prerequisite, if they reach STR 12 they lose all benefits of Power Attack as well as other feats with power attack as a prerequisite. With savvy Rogue, undead get a taste of their own ability draining abilities.

Your other tactic is stunning, with size matters not, ability focus, ascetic rogue, your base stunning fist DC is 18 against creatures large or larger, 14 for medium and small, as long as you remember to flank or find a means to keep you opponent from getting his dexterity modifier to ac (improved invisibility, greater blink). This number scales with your wisdom and hitdice so by level 20 the DC is at least 28 vs large and larger creatures, 24 vs medium and smaller + wisdom modifier.

you may opt to get only 9 levels in monk so as to remove all the flurry penalties and get more sneak attack damage. Remember to take the Spell Deflection ability in Complete Mage instead of getting Evasion twice.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd like to add a bump in for my build a page back basically a abj3/ms6/Iosfv7/ms4 on feat progression. I'm really looking for the optimization on feat progression. More info on the page back. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #549
    Orc in the Playground

The head GM in charge of my meta-region has ruled that yes, Prescient sense counts as a pre-requisite for classes that require evasion, but that no, if you have this, and evasion, it does not give you improved evasion.

This, and the fact that I am a contractor that has to move between regions makes me rather nervous about weither or not I'll be able to use Oracle by the time I get to that point.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good progression to use in case Oracle winds up not working?

10. - Top - End - #550
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hi

I am hoping to have those gurus out there break this character (ie. make sure it conforms to rules) and point out large flaws in design or oversights if present. This is a character that I will be playing from level 1 onwards and so it must be valid and able to be effective at all levels.

Concept: Flitherin, a whisper gnome obsessed with the night, and the creatures stalking it - expecially bats. Likely chaotic neutral as his passion to to preserve and create habitats for bats to thrive in. Has a druid-like outlook on bat ecosystems/caves and encounters. He is not evil, but he is dark, combining animalistic tendencies with the darkness of night. He may not be 'optimized' as you will see, but the class choices I believe fit his dark theme very well. Suggestions for change however in level choice or feat choice always welcome.

Biggest question I needed to answer in my gaming group is "Why warlock?" as multiclassing a warlock is a big no-no on most forums and help sites. I was looking for damage boosts to his charge and other options like scout or rogue had conditions that just could not be met with regularity (scout cannot be mounted and rogue sneak attack is hard to setup when I will rely on charges rather than flanks). A recent post of the warlock on these forums made me realize that the Hideous Blow would add just as much damage as a sneak attack, but every single turn reliably, plus give some really need secondary dark invocations that fit really well with what I see in this character.

Race: Whisper Gnome (racial stat mods included below)
    Strength 15
    Dexterity 14
    Constitution 15
    Intelligence 11
    Wisdom 12
    Charisma 13

Level 1: Class Ranger1 (full BAB - D8 HP))
    Feats: Handle Animals
    Favoured enemy: vermin
    Concept: travels with his riding dog (bought, not a companion yet)

Level 2: Class Ranger2 (F BAB - D8 HP)
    Combat Style:Mounted Combat (varient lvl2 ride-by attack, lvl 6 spirited charge)
    Feats: Ride-by(ranger)
    Concept: uses Lance in ride-by attacks / charges on riding dog

Level 3: Class Ranger2/Warlock1 (rogue BAB - D6 HP)
    Feats: Power Attack
    Invocations: Hideous Blow (uses the newest FAQ - HB does not provoke AoO)
    Concept: As with lvl2 but ride-by also deals HB-blast damage

Level 4: Class Ranger2/Warlock2 (rogue BAB - D6 HP)
    Feats:Detect Magic (warlock)
    Invocation: Summon Swarm (bats)
    Concept:As in previous levels but his bond with bats begins and they will heed his summons
    Stat:Strength

Level 5: Class Ranger3/Warlock2 (F BAB)
    Feats: Endurance (ranger)

Level6: Class Ranger4/Warlock2 ((I am aware of XP penalty)) (F BAB - D8HP)
    Feats: Animal Companion (Ranger) and Natural Bond
    Spells: 1 1st level spell (likely Magic Fang or Calm Animals)
    Companion:(as druid lvl5) Will be a Dire Bat (-3 druid level)
    Concept: Now he flies into combat (ride-by with lance doing HB-blast damage and power attack when appropriate). He can/should qualify for a flying charge bonus as well if charging 30' dropping 10' and using piercing weapon, Lance. Ergo diving charge damage is x3. If unable to fly still charges best he can on walking bat and summons bat swarms.

Level7: Class Ranger4/Warlock3 (XP penalty fixed) (R BAB - D6 HP)
    Feats:Blast2d6, damage reduction 1/coldiron (warlock)
    rest the same

Level8: Class Ranger4/Warlock4 (R BAB - D6 HP)
    Feats:Deceive Item
    Invocation:See the Unseen
    rest same

Level9: Class Ranger4/Warlock4/BeastMaster1 (F BAB - D10 HP)
    Feats:Improved Companion etc as beastmaster
    Feats: Diving Charge (+Nd6 damage based on charge distance)
    Companion: (as druid level 8) Dire bat (-3druidlvl) +2 HD with Fly-by Feat
    Concept: Now the Dire Bat also gets to chomp down on the monsters during the Ride-by attack (hence no AoO afterwards for leaving area). Charges now do x3 damage on a diving charge plus 2d6 Hideous Blast +2d6(average) Diving Charge and still summoning bat swarms into play

Level10: Class Ranger5/Warlock4/BM1 (F BAB - D8 HP)
    Favoured Enemy: Magical Beasts +4/vermin+2
    rest the same

Level11: Class Ranger6/Warlock4/BM1 ((yes, XP penalty again)) (F BAB - D8)
    Combat style:Spirited Charge (ranger varient)
    Companion(druid lvl9): thus Dire Bat is at +4 HD
    Charges are now at x4 damage with the lance (x3spirited lance charge,x2swoop/diving charge) + 2d6HB +2D6(ave) Diving Charge

Future: Get Warlock level back up to 6 (negate XP penalty at 5) and gain +ND6 Hideous blow damage plus lesser invocation Fell Flight (for the times bat cannot fly). Level a few more times afterwards in Beast Master to gain more Dire Bat minions. Future Feats include others of the flying feats from RotW like Aerial Reflex/Aerial Superiority.

He comes out a quirky dark-druid type character able to deliver massive charges when he can has room to move around. Worst case he is grounded and cannot charge so he uses ray eldrich blasts or fights with secondary weapons using Hideous Blow and fighting atop a biting bat with swarms of bats and secondary bat companions nipping at enemies heals.
    Sorry for length.

Is anything broken or truly unorthadox?

((the only real question I have addressed elsewhere is whether the x2 damage from swooping charge can be used by a mounted rider....if I go with Fell Flight at lvl 13 it hardly matters either way))
    Last edited by Benejeseret; 2007-08-10 at 08:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551

Character Level: 6th
    Setting: Forgotten Realms
    Wealth: 5000gp
    Stats: 16, 14, 13, 11, 10, 10 in any order
    Alignment: Any believable
    Race: Any FR race up to +1 LA
    Books: All 3.5, no Dragon magazine
    Concept: A fiendish summoner
    Stipulations: Level dipping is heavily frowned upon by the DM except maybe at 1st
    Limits: Sky
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

This is more 'checking that I've done everything right, and haven't missed anything obvious' than character building, but anyway.

Character is a half-elf Crusader 7/Suel Arcanamach 1/Abjurant Champion 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10.
    Neutral Good
    Str 14
    Dex 14
    Con 14
    Int 12
    Wis 10
    Cha 20
    Feats Iron Will, Power Attack, Combat Casting, Practised Spellcaster, Extra Granted Manoeuvre, Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike
    Skills
    Crusader skills (Balance 5, Concentration 10, Jump 5, Knowledge [history] 2, Knowledge [religion] 2, Martial Lore 6, Spellcraft 5, Tumble 5)
    Arcanamach skills (Tumble 5)
    Champion skills (Concentration 2, Knowledge [arcana] 2, Swim 2)
    JPM skills (Diplomacy 10, Sense Motive 10, Tumble 10)
    Skill bonusesBalance +9, Concentration +14, Diplomacy +19, Jump +9, Knowledge [arcana] +5, Knowledge [history] +5, Knowledge [religion] +5, Martial Lore +7, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +6, Swim +4, Tumble +17
    Spells
    1- 6/day Shield, Protection from Evil, Feather Fall, Enlarge Person
    2- 5/day Resist Energy, Arcane Turmoil, See Invisibility, Invisibility
    3- 4/day Anticipate Teleportation, Arcane Sight, Greater Magic Weapon
    4- 4/day Dimensional Anchor, Ray Deflection, Ruin Delver’s Fortune
    5- 3/day Overland Flight, Telekinesis
    Manoeuvres
    1- Bolstering Voice (stance, WR), Martial Spirit (stance, DS), Stone Bones, (strike, SD), Crusader’s Strike (strike, DS), Douse the Flames (strike, WR)
    2- Battle Leader’s Charge (strike, WR), Foehammer (strike, DS)
    3- Bonecrusher (strike, SD), Revitalising Strike (strike, DS), Death Mark (strike, DW)
    4- Divine Surge (strike, DS), Searing Charge (strike, DW)
    5- Radiant Charge (strike, DS), Leaping Flame (counter, DW)
    6- Aura of Triumph (stance, DS)
    7- Castigating Strike (strike, DS)
    8- Inferno Blade (boost, DS)
    9- Strike of Righteous Vitality (strike, DS)

Equipment is open, except that I want a +1 merciful holy undead bane falchion and a mithral twilight breastplate, probably with some other enhancements.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
    Character Level: 6th
    Setting: Forgotten Realms
    Wealth: 5000gp
    Stats: 16, 14, 13, 11, 10, 10 in any order
    Alignment: Any believable
    Race: Any FR race up to +1 LA
    Books: All 3.5, no Dragon magazine
    Concept: A fiendish summoner
    Stipulations: Level dipping is heavily frowned upon by the DM except maybe at 1st
    Limits: Sky
    The build depends a on what you want to do with the character in the future. If you expect a long campaign you need to plan ahead. Here are a couple of arcane - based summoners.

Version 1: Human Focused Conjurer* 5 (CMag 34)/Paragnostic Apostle** 1 (CCha)
    *Evocation, Enchantment, Necromancy banned
    **Knowledge is Power: Call of Worlds

Immediate Magic ACF (PHBII 62) replaces familiar.
    Domain Granted Power ACF (CCha 52, summoning domain [SC 281]) replaces level 5 wizard feat.

Str 10
    Dex 13
    Con 14
    Int 16
    Wis 10
    Cha 11

+1 Dex level 4 (Int if you excpect to advance to high levels.)

Feats: Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Beckon the Frozen (Frost 47), Dimensional Reach (CMag 41)

If you want a game-mechanical connection to the lower planes you can replace Beckon the Frozen or Dimensional reach with Blood Calls to Blood (HoH) or an abyssal heritor feat (FCI).

Skills: Get prerequisite skills. Max concentration. Max spellcraft so you know when to jump away with Immediate Magic. Make sure you have the languages you need to give orders to your summoned creatures. Fiendish creatures have Int 3, so technically they understand Common (MM 7). The DM may disagree and make it Infernal or Abyssal.

Equipment suggestions:
    Crystal Mask of Languages (MIC 91, 2500 gp) Extra languages if you're short on skill points.
    Ring of Silent Spells (MIC, 2000 gp) Don't reveal your location by speaking.
    Healing Belt (MIC 110, 750 gp) Daily healing.
    Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (MIC 144, 2500 gp) +5 on concentration checks. Could help you keep the spell if you take damage in mid-summoning.
    Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend (3000 gp) Can make a summoning spell last more than one encounter if you rush forward.
    Amber Amulet of Vermin (MIC 68, 500-1200) More cannon fodder.
    Wand?

Tactics: Nothing very complicated here. You cast summoning spells at caster level 9 (summoning domain + Dimensional Reach feat) and your creatures have +4 Str, +4 Con, cold subtype, +1d6 cold damage on their attacks and fast healing 5. Go invisible and summon a monster or two, then provide support with buffs and, if necessary, conjuration blast spells. Immediate Magic keeps you safe from many attacks - just pop out of reach if someone tries to attack you.

Version 2: Human Sorcerer 5/Mindbender 1 (CArc 54)

Domain Access ACF (CCha 52, summoning domain [SC 281])

You'll qualify for thaumaturgist (DMG) in a couple more levels. (Don't advance in mindbender.)

Str 10
    Dex 13
    Con 14
    Int 11
    Wis 10
    Cha 16

+1 Dex level 4 (Cha if you expect to advance to high levels.)

Feats: Able Learner (RoD 150), Infernal Sorcerer Heritage (PHBII 91), Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning

If you want to go thaumaturgist later you'll get Augment Summoning as a bonus feat, so don't take it now.

Skills: See above. It's hard to qualify for mindbender due to cross-class skill requirements, thus Able Learner. Not the best feat for a medium-Int character though.

Spells known:
    3rd (1): Summon Monster 3*
    2nd(1+1): Invisibility, Summon Monster 2*
    1st(3+1): Benign Transposition (SC), Lesser Orb of Cold (SC), Mage Armor, Summon Monster 1*

*Domain Access ACF

Equipment suggestions: (See above.)

Tactics: As above. No extra cold damage or fast healing, but caster level 10 for summoning evil outsiders and you can give your creatures orders without revealing your location (telepathy).

For more ideas, see the most excellent Summoning Handbook.
    Last edited by Iku Rex; 2007-08-11 at 09:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Pixie in the Playground

I was hoping someone could offer me some options on a Con Man char

Starting at level 5 and progressing to ~15

Human
    Rogue

Str 8
    Dex 14
    Con 14
    Int 16
    Wis 11
    Cha 16

Currently level 5 but could rebuild to meet pre-reqs if I decide to take a PrC

Have taken Weapon Finesse, Quick Draw, and skill focus bluff

Lots of Languages and what I consider con man skills (bluff, disguise, forgery, UMD, sleight of hand, as well as knowledge nobility, local, history etc.)

Concept: a very look at me type char, likes to impersonate nobility and while money is very motivating will be involved in a good con for the sake of a good con. Never intended to be incredibly combat effective, he even tends to stay out the way in combat until a chance shows itself for him to step up and make a finishing blow that makes it appear as though he is an invaluable combat asset to rest of party. Wears and uses a short sword when appropriate for the con he is involved in but keeps a dagger up one sleeve and darts up another whenever possible (hence quick draw) so far he has played out as the char that draws the party into trouble but also has a tendancy to find a way out of trouble.

so far I really only see myself continuing in Rogue unless I can find a PrC that emphasizes the con man aspects without making him much more combat effective (i want him to never be able to back up his bluffs without some serious help from the rest of the party) so I was hoping that you all might have some feats/skills/ or even a PrC to suggest that would help this char continue

The rest of the party includes a Wizard specializing in Illusion (barring evoc and ench) a full plate fighter, a pretty serious dmg throwing ranger, and sometimes a halfing shaman.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking for a summoner, levels 1-10(playable at all these levels), the guy has his heart set on effigy master
    Books: Core, Complete, BoED, MIC(My standards)
    Race: No preference
    Class: He has his heart set on one level of effigy master
    Ability Scores: Not important, but 4d6 drop the lowest
    Alignment: Any non-evil
    House Rules: Nothing important.
    Concept: The guy likes to play mages. All of his previous mages have died rather rapidly, and he's tired of taking crap for it. So now he's gonna stand behind these things and watch.
    Other: I’m not too sure how the effigy master and a summoner fit together. I'd actually like to see what you can do working in one level of effigy master, and then what you can do with just a summoner.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to build a polearm gnome warblade, preferably an expertise-tree type, but just trying to make it workeable. I'm not sure how many points I'll have in the campaign, but I know it will be point buy, I figure we can count on at least 25 points.

So, to summarize,

Definitely
    -Gnome Warblade
    -25 Point-buy
    -Level 1
    -Uses a reach weapon (glaive, ranseur, or guisarme)

Preferably
    -Utilize the expertise tree (tripping and disarming, to be exact)

The books I have avaliable are just core + ToB

In terms of fluff, this kid is a glory-seeker out to vindicate gnomes to a martially oriented world. He genuinely loves to fight, and therefore hates that gnomes aren't taken seriously in a fight, so he took his favorite weapon and set out for a life of felling anything bigger than he was who came looking for a fight. The reason he uses polearms is that my DM and I were talking, and I for one believe that any gnomish (halfling, goblin, kobold, or so on) militia or army would likely use polearms almost exclusively as the melee weapons of choice. The reasoning being that it's easier to reach the vital organ's of a significantly larger adversary when you attach your sharp-n-pointy to a long stick. My DM agrees with me and so polearms are now the weapons of choice for all small races. Since it was my idea in the first place, I really want my character to fit in with the other gnome warriors. However, I'm having trouble (especially with the expertise line idea) with the various limitations of small melee.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2007-08-15 at 01:11 PM.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

17. - Top - End - #557

Hello there gurus of build optimization and fun. Here's hoping you can help me with a build. I freely admit to being new to ToB, and to melee classes in general, as I always play casters.

So, here's the requirements:

0) Full build, though level by level to 8th would be great!
    1) Class: Crusader
    2) Alignment: Any non-evil, leaning towards Lawful Good.
    2) Character Level: 8th
    3) Setting: Homebrew D&D based in G.R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones
    4) Ability Scores: 4d6 drop lowest, roll 7 scores, drop one.
    5) Race: Any, pending DM approval. Prefer nothing with too high a LA.
    6) Books: Any, though not too likely to get in Exalted / Vile stuff
    7) Houserules relevant:
    -----a) Crusaders use same readiness rules as Warblades (i.e. not random) but get one less than book list.
    -----b) Regain manuevers by spending a full-round action meditating to regain one manuever.
    -----c) Shield provide x2 their book listed AC bonus. Yes, tower shields give +8 AC.
    -----d) Once you take a PrC, not permitted any other PrC until you finish that one. I.e. no one level dips into PrCs. Same rule does not apply to base classes though.
    8) Concept: Our party healer is out quite a bit (busy in RL) so this guy needs to be able to dish out substantial damage, and also heal from time to time. Was thinking of either sword and board for the huge AC, or reach weapon, as no one else uses reach. RP wise, probably a wandering hedge knight of the seven for those who are familiar with the series.
    9) Other: Would really like some advice on stances and manuevers. Some of them seem pretty dang nice, but its tough to see all the combinations that might come up.
    Last edited by Tyger; 2007-08-16 at 08:30 PM.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm looking to create a 9th level gish. I've got an idea in mind, but I'm curious to see what alternative possibilities (crunchwise) people will come up with.

My current build:

Grey elf, Cru (Wee Jas) 1/Wiz 5/JPM 2/Abjurant Champion 1.
    @1: power attack
    @3: combat casting
    @6: (undetermined)
    @6 (wizard): (undetermined)
    @9: (undetermined, maybe arcane strike?)

At present, I was leaning towards a battlefield-controller build, wielding a reach weapon and spiked gauntlets to be able to contribute to melee even from behind the first rank of fighters. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what other possibilities might be workable.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If anyone would care to help a noob on the board out it'd be much appreciated. Looking through the Book of Exalted Deeds the Reformed Villain gave me the idea for a former warlock who has seen the error of his ways and turned lawful good monk, a combination I feel has possibilities.

Any suggestions for this character at level 8, any official 3.5 books allowed but no Dragon, stat rolls 13, 16, 16, 17, 15, 11 to be distributed as appropriate.
    Setting is home made, all official races are allowed and any good ideas for combining the powers of monks and warlocks welcome
    Defender of the faithless

20. - Top - End - #560
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cirkux:
    You may like the Enlightened Spirit Prestige Class (Complete Mage). Essentially, a redeemed warlock.

You could ask you DM for an "Ascetic Spirit" homebrewed feat (perhaps Cha instead of Wis on AC, monk and warlock stack for unarmed damage).

With these points clear, I suggest: Warlock 5/Monk 1/Enlightened Spirit 2.
    Use fractional Bab: changes +4 to +6.
    Now: focus on defense. You have Cha on AC, sacred bonuses for enlightened spirit and with a few magic objects and wands of something you could have a really decent AC... Therefore, you can be a melee fighter. Take the Decisive Strike mok variant from Player's Handbook II: with a least Eldritch Essence you have (monk's unarmed damage + warlock's eldritch blast damage + Str + every other bonus)*2 every round... really a DECISIVE blow!
    Once you hit ECL 15 you can also heal yourself (and allies) to stay in melee even longer.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

21. - Top - End - #561
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thanks that sounds like a really nifty combo, and fun to roleplay too.
    Defender of the faithless

22. - Top - End - #562

I have an Idea for a half-vampire in forgotten realms

My mother was a priest of Lathander she was hunting a vampire and the vampire wanted to give the church a black spot to which it could not rid of, When I was born the clerics were about to destroy me when they heard the voice of Lathander, saying I was meant for great things,

quote "I am a warrior of darkness and protector of light"
    race human
    class need idea
    roll 4d6b3
    books almost ay faerun book, and core
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

The Procedure:

A character can be built:
    Level by level (showing what you should take at each level). A progression from 1st to level 10-15 is okay (or further if you want).

Asking for a Character (You may want to use the Sample below as a template for your request):
    2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:

* * * * *a. Books that can be used to build your character: PHB, DMG, MM, plus ONE (1) other if it's common or really worth it
    * * * * *b. Race (including any Level Adjustment Limits): Any. I was thinking human (for multiclassing) or grey elf for the int and dex bonuses w/o sacrificing movement speed. And b/c snobby + ninja = gold. Wild elf for dex bonus w/o con penalty might be better (less int, yeah, but combat comes first).
    * * * * *c. Class: Rogue, mostly.
    * * * * *d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method):
    Generation (rolled). You may assume 16, 16, 14, 13, 11, 8 if that helps.
    * * * * *e. Alignment: Any, probably non-evil.

* * * * *g. Concept: what requirements or preferences do you have regarding concept?
    The over-arching idea here that lead to all 3 goals is to focus first on simple physical combat (i.e., dealing damage AND avoiding it). He should be effective outside of combat as much as possible without weakening the character within combat. Oddly enough, a couple tricks I discovered made me do a sudden flip from a heavily armored fighter to a stealthy rogue.

1. The primary goal here is a kind of core "ninja". A stealthy sneak attack trigger is a must. Weapon would most likely be ranged, for safety and easier full attacks. Again if any idea that helps the 2nd or 3rd goal interferes much with this goal, it should be scrapped.
    2. Secondary goal would be to pump UMD into the stratosphere to make use of scrolls and wands. Then I'd use spells from several different classes to help my other 2 goals, or to have that one high level emergency spell with less of a scroll failure chance than the party wizard. And probably several very low level scrolls (i.e., cheap) for random situations.
    3. The third goal would be skillmonkey. However, surviving a trap (via party member or other means) is more important than merely finding/disabling traps. Ditto for scouting, and survival in general. But with his high focus on stealth, safe scouting shouldn't be hard.

* * * * *h. Other: No specific setting in mind yet. This is more for the future or at least as an exercise.

I've been dabbling with this character for some time now, and it's becoming one of my favorite character concepts. I'm tempted to post what I have so far, but I want to see some fresh ideas. That'll help me further refine the concept. Thanks for any builds I get, I appreciate them.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2007-08-22 at 11:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default tower shield with throwing axes

I got the idea to make a dwarf fighter who uses a tower and shield and specializes in throwing axes. i was just wandering if this is possible and if so what would be the best way to go about bulding this at 5th level.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: tower shield with throwing axes

Quote Originally Posted by bean6882 View Post
    I got the idea to make a dwarf fighter who uses a tower and shield and specializes in throwing axes. i was just wandering if this is possible and if so what would be the best way to go about bulding this at 5th level.
    Yes! And it would be very effective. You'll be able to get more full attacks since you can hit opponents that aren't far away. It would have the following problems though:
    1. Trying to get a full attack at higher levels. You either have to settle for 1 attack, or weaken your weapon by splitting your cash across multiple throwing axes. Either way you'll probably want the returning enchantment. But compared to melee weapons which often only get a single attack anyway, that's not so bad. By "higher" levels I mean level 7+, so for a 5 level build this is not a problem.

2. AB and damage. A melee fighter gets strength to both AB and damage. You get dex to AB and strength to damage. That means you need 2 good stats instead of 1. I'd count each point of AB as about +10% damage (from extra hits), and arrange your stats to maximize damage accordingly.

3. -2 average damage from using a throwing axe instead of a waraxe.

Okay, now for the build.
    Stats:
    As mentioned above, 1 AB ~=10%. Since your damage is only 3.5, 2 strength is ~30%. You're averaging 5.5 HP per level, so 2 con is 18%. So I'd say put strength first, con second, then dex 3rd. Distribute the mental stats however you like.

Wealth by level:
    1st 150 gp
    2nd 900 gp
    3rd 2700 gp
    4th 5400 gp
    5th 9000 gp

Level 1:
    Fighter 1.
    EQ (besides standard eq): Tower shield, scale mail, multiple throwing axes.
    Feats: Weapon focus (throwing axe), point blank shot. +2 AB right off the bat, huzzah! That's ~+20% damage.

Level 2:
    Fighter 2.
    New EQ: Perhaps a breastplate in place of scale mail. Masterwork throwing axes.
    Feat: Quick draw.

Level 3:
    Fighter 3.
    New EQ: Full plate. More masterwork throwing axes, if needed
    Feat: Rapid shot.

Level 4:
    Attribute Boost: Probably strength, for reasons above.
    Fighter 4.
    New EQ:+1 tower shield, +1 full plate.
    Feat: Weapon specialization (throwing axe).

Level 5:
    Fighter 5 or barbarian 1. If you only face 1-3 encounters per day, getting that rage all the time may be helfpul.
    New EQ: ring of protection +1.

Later feats, etc.: From here on out you have a variety of minor feats to choose from: dodge (the more AC you have the more that next +1 is worth), far shot, precise shot, the pre-requisites for dwarven defender. Or you can spend 1 level on a spontaneous arcane caster instead of spending feats and go dragon disciple. That'll boost your most important stats (str, con and AC). Later improved critical and improved weapon focus are good choices. Besides all these there are also the "trick" feats like improved trip, if you want.

This strat will work really well until magic weapons arrive around level 8. Carrying multiple magic weapons is an ineffective and expensive strat. You might want to just use your throwing axe in melee, or find another work-around. Maybe your 1st attack could be melee, while you throw MW throwing axes with the rest. Or maybe you could grab sneak attack damage or ranger favored enemy damage. Or get a belt of strength. I dunno, I'm stuck here.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2007-08-23 at 08:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

ericgrau thanks man that is really what i was looking for. i never thought about taking the dragon desciple class with that though might first though on progression would have been the dwarven defender later. i think once i get into the higher levels i might use a dwarven waraxe for melee and then with quick draw throwing axes on secondary attacks. again thanks

27. - Top - End - #567
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, for a campaign I'm going to run soon, I'd like a 20 level cleric/ sorceress type. optimized to have a 9th level progression in both arcan and divine spells. use any sources you wish, but cite where they came from. Flavor-wise, she will be a lich-queen, but a shirt of gentle repose makes her seem a 28 year old human female. She would also rely heavily on illusions and enchantments as well as the obvious necromancy. Thanks in advance.

1. Looking for a from-scratch character, built to level 20. Sorceress/ cleric. optimized with PRC's for full spell progression in both

2. Books: any, but state your sources please
    Race: Must be human
    Class: As above, sorceress/ cleric/ any prestigeclasses you can find
    Ability Scores: Use the Champion array (18/16/14/12/10/8)
    Alignment: lawful evil
    Concept: she's a master of necromancy and negative energy, but also a clever manipulator, seductress, and illusionist. Her spells known should mainly be a combination of necromancy spells and enchantments/ illusions with a few combat spells. (I have the spell compendium available)
    Other: She's my BBEG, her only required magic item is a garmet constantly maintaining gentle repose so her flesh doesn't decay.
    Last edited by stolenchariot; 2007-08-25 at 01:41 PM.
    Twelve Gates Campaign setting

Help, feedback, and contributions gladly accepted.

Currently working on: Races.

28. - Top - End - #568

I was looking to make a low-level Rock Skipping Champion (Rich Burlew's halfling PrC). What would be the best class to start out in? I was thinking fighter, for extra throwing-related feats and full BAB, which lets you get the PrC BAB requirements by Ftr6. Possibly even start him as a rogue at level 1, so he can do things besides climb, jump, and throw, even if that means not hitting Rock Skipping until 7.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, any feat advice would be appreciated, too. I'm thinking of going with Point Blank Shot (lv1), Precise Shot(F1), Far Shot(F2), Weapon Focus (Sling/Halfing Stone)(Lv3), Weapon Specialization (Sling/Halfling Stone)(F4), Concealed Ambush)(Lv6), and Ranged Disarm(F6), because I like the idea of him chucking a rock and making his enemies drop their swords.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2007-08-25 at 10:14 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello, back again, this time I'm more looking for guidance than a straight character, I'm building a sorcerer for my first ever full-caster(unless a beguiler counts?). I also have the opportunity to switch to wizard, the campaign is currently lacking an arcane caster at all, so the wizard is still being considered.
    Books: Core, Complete Scoundrel, PHB2, MIC, BoED, MM3, the DM has EbCS but I dunno if players are allowed in there...
    Race: I like human unless you have something really cool
    Class: I'd like to start with sorcerer...
    Ability Scores: 8, 14, 15, 12, 12, 18
    Alignment: Neutral to chaotic good
    House Rules: Guns are available. I wouldn't be using them.
    Concept: I’m interested in playing the flashy spellcaster role. I'm actually considering setting aside some gold to convert into cheap gems(bling, anyone?)
    Other: I’m thinkin' that's it.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

30. - Top - End - #570
    Dwarf in the Playground

eek Re: Character Builder Thread

i need help with 1 thing if eny of u could help me i would apreciate it... how would i make a half dragon and half fiend (see monster manual)
    Thanks to abrdam for da avatar

"There are Three things all wise men fear: the Sea in Storm, a Night with no Moon, and the Anger of a Gentle Man."-- Patrick Rothfuss