New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536373839404156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Character Builder Thread

A while back I posted about the interesting consequences of using the Awaken spell on a Colossal tree. I'd like to build a character that could actually do this.
    1) I'd like this built from scratch, up to ECL 20.
    2) a-c)Any books, races, classes, or combinations are acceptable, although some druid levels will probably be necessary.
    d) I'd like this character built with a 32 point buy.
    e) Any alignment is acceptable, except that if druid levels are taken the alignment has to fit the druid restrictions.
    f) No house rules
    g) A character that can cast the 5th level druid spell Awaken. This is most simply done by having 9 druid levels. But any other way is acceptable too. To have the spell work on a Colossal tree requires a DC 42 will save. I'd like the character to have as high a chance of succeeding in this save as possible. My best attempt is a Mind Flayer Druid with maxed-out Wisdom, Iron Will, and the Detached trait. Even he only succeeds 1/4 of the time.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think this works to awaken the tree
    Dwarf Druid 12
    Feats
    1 [open]
    3 [Martial Study(Diamond Mind)] for Moment of Perfect Mind
    6 [Natural Spell]; not relevant, but he'd have it
    9 [Steady Concentration]
    12[open]
    32 point buy
    STR 13, DEX 13, CON 18, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 8
    after level ups
    STR 13, DEX 12, CON 20, INT 8, WIS 17, CHA 6

Equipment:
    Ring of Concentration +10 (costs 10,000 gp)
    Amulet of Health +4 (costs 16,000 gp)
    62,000 extra gp to play with

Moment of Perfect Mind lets you substitute a constitution check in place of a will save (usable as a counter, once per encounter). You should have max concentration, so 15 ranks, CON mod is +7 after the amulet, the ring gives +10 and Steady Concentration (Races of Stone) lets you always take 10 on Concentration checks, so you cast the spell, need to make a will save, use the counter to make it a concentration check and steady concentration gives you exactly 42.

Also doable as Druid 10/Swordsage 2, which frees up a feat, gives you WIS to AC and more useful maneuvers, but I thought I'd do it as pure druid first. The other 8 levels are up to you.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-03-28 at 10:00 AM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

3. - Top - End - #903
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That's excellent. I wouldn't have thought 12 levels of plain druid would get there. And he's got enough gold and spare feats to do the Maximise/Empower thing on the tree's stats.

4. - Top - End - #904

Tome of Battle makes many things possible.

Oh, I realized after the fact that you could replace Steady Concentration with Wild Talent. That would let you become psionically focused and expend that focus for a 15 on a concentration check. Steady Concentration is probably more useful overall, but wild talent might let you set it up at a lower level. It also has fewer prereqs (none vs Steady Concentration's requirement of, i think, 8 ranks of Concentration)
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

5. - Top - End - #905
    Orc in the Playground

I took leadership recently myself finally, though I haven't exactly decided what to do with it (poor planning) right now my Paladin5/Crusader13 has a Unicorn special mount that I figure would be best to focus on. I figure that the Unie will have to be a Cleric almost guaranteed. What'd I'd really like is to have some transportation options using her, not too worried about combat, we have enough NPCs in there. healing would be nice but really I just get tired of having to be teleported/flight spelled and whatnotted, I do have a Pegasus Saddle for her, so that takes care of some issues.
    Granted this is a fairly general request, but can someone offer some suggestions?

6. - Top - End - #906
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I was thinking about a fighter specialized in unarmed strikes.
    I like the feats that combine two classes: ascetic stalker and the like, and im going to do a homebrew variant: ascetic warrior. And then one level Monk and the rest figther, you know of any good feats that would fit this build?

7. - Top - End - #907
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alternate Class Feature: Decisive Strike (PHB2): Trade flurry of blows feature to deal double damage on single -2 attack, full-round action. It's not like level 1 flurry is going to help you. Goes great with Circle Kick too.

Superior Unarmed Strike (ToB) (Monk unarmed damage is treated 4 levels higher)
    Improved Natural Weapon (moves natural weapon up size category)
    Circle Kick (Sword & Fist) (If unarmed strike hits during full round action, get free attack)
    Roundabout Kick (deal additional unarmed attack when you crit, requires Power Attack)
    Last edited by Dode; 2008-03-31 at 05:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by gareth View Post
    A while back I posted about the interesting consequences of using the Awaken spell on a Colossal tree. I'd like to build a character that could actually do this.
    1) I'd like this built from scratch, up to ECL 20.
    2) a-c)Any books, races, classes, or combinations are acceptable, although some druid levels will probably be necessary.
    d) I'd like this character built with a 32 point buy.
    e) Any alignment is acceptable, except that if druid levels are taken the alignment has to fit the druid restrictions.
    f) No house rules
    g) A character that can cast the 5th level druid spell Awaken. This is most simply done by having 9 druid levels. But any other way is acceptable too. To have the spell work on a Colossal tree requires a DC 42 will save. I'd like the character to have as high a chance of succeeding in this save as possible. My best attempt is a Mind Flayer Druid with maxed-out Wisdom, Iron Will, and the Detached trait. Even he only succeeds 1/4 of the time.
    Class: Archivist 9
    Race: Any
    Alignment: Any

Stats (without racial adjustments, after level ups): Str 10 Con 14 Dex 10 Int 20 Wis 10 Cha 10

Feats: Any

Spells: Surge of Fortune (Complete Champion), Awaken

Strategy:
    1) Cast surge of fortune on yourself.
    2) Cast awaken on the tree you want awakened.
    3) Discharge surge of fortune to roll a natural 20 on your will save (Automatically saves)
    Last edited by Nermy; 2008-03-31 at 12:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That sounds even better. I'm not familar with the Archivist class, where is it described?

10. - Top - End - #910
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Gareth, I believe that the Archivist is in the Eberron CS book.

Now for my questions.

Could you please build me a 5th level Warblade?

Books: I can use Wizards Book, but the magazines are out, as are items from third parties like Paizo

Race: Any, but I am wary of level adjustment, and I my preference is for a human, but feel free to make a compelling argument

Class: Warblade

Ability Scores: 4d6 x7 with the lowest removed and rerolling 1's resulted in 17, 15, 14, 14, 13, 12 (there is a +2 to put in there from level 4)

Alignment: Any

House Rules: My DM says that powerful characters are encouraged and he wont try to one up us if we do well. So while I dont want to be cheap, I want to make an effective fun to play character

Concept: I’m thinking of a flashy, self absorbed nice guy, the kind of guy who is happy when he is fighting well and receives the proper adoration for it

Other: I am going to be the main melee guy, but the party looks like it will have a monk, a fighter/barb (he is a maybe), a cleric, and a sorceror. My play concept is someone who goes in after the monk and uses the flank and stances to basically be a blender and tear dudes up. I have looked through the ToB and I like the warblade class. I prefer to keep my maneuvers and stances in the Iron Heart and Diamond Mind schools, and for purely character reasons I would like to use a sword or an axe for the main weapon, shields I can take or leave.

I think this thread is a really great idea and I appreciate it a lot.

Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #911

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by gareth View Post
    That sounds even better. I'm not familar with the Archivist class, where is it described?
    It's in Heroes of Horror, sorry I forgot to put it in the original post!

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Since my goblin build seems to have died, I'll try a different one.
    I'm planning to take Leadership at 6th level, and I need a build for a cohort from level 2 (it's a +2 LA race) to 20.

Any published material is acceptable
    Race: Petal (MM3 p. 120)
    Class: Sorcerer (to start with - feel free to suggest prestige classes)
    Alignment: NG
    Concept: Born into a community of corrupted fey - now atoning for her past misdeeds by fighting evil, helping the less fortunate, etc.
    Other: I'm taking Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty at 1st level with at least one flaw - please don't change this.
    Stats (after racial adjustments):
    Str 6
    Dex 28 (at ECL 4 - that's right)
    Con 20
    Int 20
    Wis 15
    Cha 26 (also right)
    Last edited by monty; 2008-04-02 at 04:28 PM.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

13. - Top - End - #913
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hello! This is my first post here, so I'll try to follow the suggested guidelines as best as I can.

I tend to get wordy. So, I'll write the long version, then put up a quick "summary" of sorts.

Thanks. :)

Available books: Core(PHB, II, DMG, etc), Completes, and BoED. No ToB, specifically.

I'm not entirely asking for a hand-out here, I'll post my own thoughts and ideas. The core issue for me is that I'm still new to the game, so everytime I turn around, someone says, "Well, why didn't you take this?" or "What about this spell?" and I have no real answer. I have a bard I'm enjoying, but he's mostly a buffer, and tends to not do so well in close combat(mostly the surviving part). I'm going to continue playing it, but for the moment I thought I'd try a paladin of some sort so I could get in on the combat a little more.

I will have about 98k gold, in addition to a +3 animated heavy metal shield(or something- right beneath a tower shield) and a +3 Great Sword of Ghost Touch and Icy Burst on "loan" from my bard. There's story behind why he has them, and why it's not entirely cheating that the paladin gets them.

A noobish question: Just how much AC does a +3 shield provide? Is it just the 3? That doesn't seem to make sense at all.

The short version:

I intend to take at least 5 levels of paladin, using the Charging Smite variant.

At level 12, is a 1 LA for Aasimar worth it for a paladin over another race?

What would be a good class combination? I like the idea of a gray guard, so unless they're just "that bad" I do want to get into it.

Would I be better off picking up some cleric? Fist of Raziel?

What're good feats? I'm looking at Power Attack, Divine Might, Leap Attack, and Battle Blessing right now.

Suggested spells?

What's the best way to do alot of damage? Nothing horribly ridiculous needed.

The long version: Help me to improve a two-handed paladin to something fun and useful. I don't want to Min-Max, but I do want to have good damage without dying often.

I'm level 11 or 12. A fellow player suggested a 1 level penalty to pick up Aasimar(heritage, not full on) for a few beneficial stat-bonuses. The fluff works okay for me as well. My questions on this are: Is the level loss actually worthwhile, over, say, getting an extra feat as a human, plus the loss of BAB and the feat at 12? I know paladin's are feat starved already.

I've looked at a number of class combos. Right now, I'm looking at Pal 5(taking the charge variant, as we're usually indoors), Gray Guard 5(justice blade is nice, so is the role play). I looked at a 3-level dip in Shadow Striker, but I think my paladin spells can simply outperform it overall.

A number of threads I've seen about getting a high-damage paladin all seem to involve either going several levels of cleric, or staying cleric altogether. I assume Divine Power is just that good? Is it worth taking enough cleric to get it, then going paladin? We have a cleric already who is happy with what he does, so I don't really want to steal his thing.

Feat suggestions? With my current build, I believe I have 4 feats, going on 5. Power Attack, Divine Might, Battle Blessing, and Leap Attack are my current thoughts. I may be able to do away with Battle Blessing, as we tend to get to buff before we enter a major fight, but I like the flexibility of it.

My other idea is Divine Shield. I have a CHA of 28 after items and leveling, so that'd be +9 AC(bringing me up to about 44, I think). We have a Dwarven Defender who is intended to be the tank, but I'm not sure how he plans to hold them to him. Our previous tank, a knight, died in the line of duty, etc, and he's since rerolled.

Any excellent spell suggestions? Rhino Rush, Bull's Strength, Find the Gap, Prayer, and Holy Sword are a few that I'm fond of right now.

Lastly, I see alot of threads that suggest paladins get into Fist of Raziel quickly. I understand the weapon buffs are nice, but with something like Holy Sword to fall back on, is it really all that useful?
    Last edited by DeuxExeMachina; 2008-04-03 at 06:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeuxExeMachina View Post
    A noobish question: Just how much AC does a +3 shield provide? Is it just the 3? That doesn't seem to make sense at all.
    Actually, it's a total of +5. 2 for the shield itself and 3 for the enhancement bonus.

... As for the build itself... I've only ever played a paladin to level 5, So I wouldnt be much help to you. I know SOMEONE here can help though.
    Last edited by SamTheCleric; 2008-04-03 at 07:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #915

Q.N+1. (Let N equal the last numbered request)

Could I please get some help with designing a character to do mounted ranged combat, capable of woodland sneaking/fighting, preferably with a mount that will not become incredibly vulnerable (mount special feature or animal companion for example would help a bunch). The mount certainly doesn't have to be a horse. Hit and run tactics, woodland knowledge, and stealth abilities are important.

Books: I can use pretty much anything but region specific books, though the DM isn't a fan of cheese and will alter things.
    Race: Preferably elf, half-elf, or halfling, though gnome could fit - the campaign has a sylvan feel.
    Class: I was looking at the light cavalry variant of the Scout class and the wild plains outrider prestige class, but I'm really not that familiar with mounted combat. The Devoted Tracker feat and variant ranger/paladin builds might serve instead?
    Ability Scores: Champion spread (18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8)
    Alignment: Any non-evil
    House Rules: There are some, house rules tend to be to limit abuse.
    Concept: Stealthy sylvan mounted combatant, capable of serving as a scout/ranger and dealing decent damage.
    Other: Every player is investing in Hide and Move Silently, and they are training the teamwork benefits associated with woodland scouting/skirmishing.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

A: N+1 [Partial]

If you go with a halfling ranger/paladin you could also go into Wild Plains Outrider and Halfling Outrider. Halfling Outrider (from complete warrior) gets some interesting mounted archery abilities.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Orc in the Playground

we need to number these requests

Deuxexmachina -

consider Divine Justice - lets you deal the same damage to your opponent as you take, pretty nice with Karmic Strike/Robilar's Gambit.

Though it may not be optimized, I might suggest one of those two feats, and work up the TWF tree to get Double Hit. So each time you are attacked, you strike back twice.

then again as the old saying goes, the best ability of the Paladin is "Should've taken Spirited Charge"

I might also recommend a level of Pious Templar for mettle.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Orc in the Playground

we need to number these requests

Deuxexmachina -

consider Divine Justice - lets you deal the same damage to your opponent as you take, pretty nice with Karmic Strike/Robilar's Gambit.

Though it may not be optimized, I might suggest one of those two feats, and work up the TWF tree to get Double Hit. So each time you are attacked, you strike back twice.

then again as the old saying goes, the best ability of the Paladin is "Should've taken Spirited Charge"

I might also recommend a level of Pious Templar for mettle.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Sholos' Sorceror

I'm looking at building a 9th-level sorceror.

Books: I can use Core

Race: Preferred human

Class: As above, sorc

Ability Scores: 28 point buy

Alignment: NG

House Rules: Any non-core material must be approved by DM. We start at 40,500 XP. We have 36,000 gp to spend on equipment, no one item can cost more than 12,000 gp.

Concept: I'm looking for a sorceror concentrated on Necromancy and Enchantment. Stays in the back and concentrates more on making it easier to kill things rather than direct damage.

Other: This is for a one-shot adventure. I really have no clear idea what others are bringing (though there's at least a wizard and no rogue yet). I need a final character by Friday.

Thanks to anyone who helps!
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

20. - Top - End - #920

Can I have an arcane caster, to around 13th level
    with plenty of blasting ability and some way to melee-is there a good feat or something?
    Tall Dark Strangers In Hooded Cloaks should be assumed to be Epic until proven Low Level.

Maybe there is an artifact: Cloak of Mighty Power

21. - Top - End - #921

I'm in need of a gladiator-
    Level 6
    100gp + 1 masterwork weapon
    Up to 2 flaws
    Using Defense bonus from UA
    Using Wound and Vitality from UA
    No ToB or magic of any kind
    Up to +2 LA and 2 Racial Hit Die
    Any sources

I was thinking either a crit specialist or spiked chain uber fighter, but anything goes. It will be mostly be balanced teams (1v1, 2v2, etc.) or large amounts of characters (5+) against an overpowered monster.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a solid divine team player/booster for the party. I'm trying to avoid a CoDzilla. I want him to focus on buffs and misc. magic, rather on anything obviously offensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Books: PHB, DMG, MM I, PHB II, Complete Series, Book of Exalted Deeds.
    Race: PHB only. Human preferred.
    Class: I'd prefer cleric or favored soul.
    Ability Scores: Point buy, 32 pts.
    Alignment: MUST be good. This is a campaign requirement.
    Concept: Highly focused team player, who specialize in assisting/buffing/healing party members either directly (bless, cure, etc.) or indirectly, through environment manipulation, divinations, and other utility magics.
    h. Other: The campaign is currently a "plane hopping" scenario, though we're not sure how much longer this will last. Other members of the party are: A Human Scout, Human Fighter (shield specialist), Human Bard, and a Human Sorcerer (focuses on blasting and direct damage spells). All are level 14.

I'm not sure I want to go straight divine, or try a Mystic Theurge, Thaumaturgist, or some other combo I haven't really thought about. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

23. - Top - End - #923

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Sholos' Sorceror

I'm looking at building a 9th-level sorceror.

Core only sorcerer

28 pb
    Str 8 0
    Dex 14 6
    Con 16 10
    Int 10 2
    Wis 8 0
    Cha 16 10

+2 Cha from levels

Spells known:

4th (2): Dimension Door, Enervation
    3rd (3): Fly, Haste, Dispel Magic
    2nd (4): Glitterdust, Command Undead, Blindness/Deafness, Mirror Image
    1st (5): Ray of Enfeeblement, Silent Image, Mage Armor, Grease, Magic Missile

Defense: Mage Armor, Mirror Image, Fly, Haste.
    No save: Enervation, Ray of Enfeeblement
    Weak reflex: Grease
    Weak fort: Blindness/Deafness
    Weak will: Command Undead, Glitterdust
    Buffs: Haste (good opener)

Feats (1,1,3,6,9)
    Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot (for rays), Empower Spell (magic missile, ray of enfeeblement, maybe mirror image), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration

Improved Initiative is also a decent choice.

Items:
    5015 +2 Mithral Buckler
    4000 Cloak of Charisma +2
    4000 Amulet of Health +2
    4000 Gloves of Dexterity +2
    2000 Ring of Protection +1
    2000 Handy Haversack
    6300 Tan Bag of Tricks
    4500 Circlet of Persuasion

31815 Total
    4185 Left (misc, scrolls, wands, whatever)

Ask the DM if you can get a Vest of Resistance (CArc, MIC). Not having any save bonuses hurts. The bag of tricks provides instant meatshields or distractions. Good backup if the group doesn't have solid frontliners.

Skills:
    Concentration, spellcraft, bluff, at least one cross-class rank in tumble.

24. - Top - End - #924

Half Elves.

Hello folks. I might be asked to play in a short campaign. For once I won't have to be a GM! I was fancying the idea of playing a half-elf. While there are ALL roleplay-resons to go for it (I find the idea charming and full of options for background development) I am also concerned about the number crunching. So, I though I might just ask some feedback. As a GM I have had NPC half elves, but for the same reason I ahve also never being eager to optimize and maximize.

They look like they have some good racial benefits, almost enough to make up for the lost bonus feat, but I would like to hear your advice (also, there is that +1 skill points , which become 4 sp at level 1...) on the matter. also, which classes play out better with 1\2 elves?

(I personally like sorcerers and druids a lot)

EDIT:
    I'll add a few more info, just to make the task easier. It's a 1-shot campaign, and the level should be somewhere around 6 or 7. Multiclassing and XP penalties are thus not a big hindrance.

Hence, I was thinking of a Monk 2 / Sorcerer 4 or 5, half elf, with the "Battle sorcerer" variants (d8, BAB = cleric, light armor and no ASF, fewer spells) AND the denying stance Monk (+2 bonus to Tumble, good grappler) coupled with a choice of touch spells to be used in grapple. Proficiency with Longsword and light armors.

Not so sure about the monk 2 though. Might as well swap them with FTR levels and start as a Sorcerer 4 or 5 and Ftr 2 (still a battle sorcerer, for no ASF and d8 and higher BAB progression) and again improved grapple and improved unarmed strike as BF.

O.
    Last edited by Ossian; 2008-04-13 at 05:55 AM.
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

25. - Top - End - #925

Mind Flayer Illithid Slayer

I'm playing a 13th-level Mind Flayer Illithid Slayer in a Gestalt game soonish, and I've got a build up but I'm thinking of changing it. Currently, it's Rebel (CG Paladin in Fax Celestis's fix) 5//Psychic Warrior 1/ Illithid Slayer 5, but I'd like to rework it to be more of a mobile combatant, running round people and then jumping on them, tentacles extended, and eating their brain.

Available books: Core plus Crystal Keep and possibly homebrew stuff if I can persuade the DM.
    Ability Scores: 36-point buy.
    Alignment: Chaotic Good, definitely. No compromising here.
    Traits and flaws allowed; no manifester/caster levels ect. above ECL (not a problem here, I feel); Practiced Manifester gives extra power points (may not be a houserule, but that's the interpretation of the DM).
    Concept: mobile Illithid-slaying Illithid grapple-monkey. Preferably use Illithid Slayer, and would like plenty of size-expansion, and would like high Charisma for Mind Blast et cetera. Anything that takes advantage of flat-footedness would be good, too (I'll be stunning people a lot...).
    Concept, reworked: More of a back-line combatant, actually. Would like to stick with Illithid Slayer, but ridiculous Grappling isn't so important- concentrate more on improving Mind Blast and adding a bit more control-style stuff. Also, may swap Psychic Warrior for Wilder.
    Other: Gestalt plane-hopping, mainly Material Planes; will be starting soonish, so I need this quite quick.

Obviously, to get the build possible, the first 7 levels are easy...

LA7//RHD7

Take it from there, basically...

EDIT: Going into minute detail isn't necessary, but classes and useful feats are what I'm after. Currently the character can get up to a +34 Grapple bonus (with augmented Expansion), so anything that can get above that is particularly nice.

That Grapple bonus breaks down thusly: +11 BAB +8 Size +8 Gloves of Titan's Grip +4 Improved Grapple +3 Strength. Chaos Monk with the Passive Way style would free up a couple of feats and, at the next level, add another +1 effective to the Grapple (Combat Expertise for 1, so -1, but +2 from the style).
    Last edited by MorkaisChosen; 2008-04-17 at 09:48 AM.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

26. - Top - End - #926

Quote Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
    Half Elves.

They look like they have some good racial benefits, almost enough to make up for the lost bonus feat, but I would like to hear your advice (also, there is that +1 skill points , which become 4 sp at level 1...) on the matter. also, which classes play out better with 1\2 elves?

(I personally like sorcerers and druids a lot)

EDIT:
    I'll add a few more info, just to make the task easier. It's a 1-shot campaign, and the level should be somewhere around 6 or 7. Multiclassing and XP penalties are thus not a big hindrance.

Hence, I was thinking of a Monk 2 / Sorcerer 4 or 5, half elf, with the "Battle sorcerer" variants (d8, BAB = cleric, light armor and no ASF, fewer spells) AND the denying stance Monk (+2 bonus to Tumble, good grappler) coupled with a choice of touch spells to be used in grapple. Proficiency with Longsword and light armors.

Not so sure about the monk 2 though. Might as well swap them with FTR levels and start as a Sorcerer 4 or 5 and Ftr 2 (still a battle sorcerer, for no ASF and d8 and higher BAB progression) and again improved grapple and improved unarmed strike as BF.

O.
    Half-Elves stink. +1 to Listen to Spot and +2 to Diplomacy and Gather Info are okay at level 1, and become practically meaningless at level 6/7. They're basically humans with some very weak abilities that come nowhere close to making up for that all-important bonus feat. I suppose they make goods Bards (which would be similar yet easier to implement then your Monk/Sorcerer MADness), but that's it.

Also, what books are you using?

27. - Top - End - #927

Hello all! I have a simple request: I'd like someone to help me out with making a fighter who focuses on mounted combat. I'm only really looking for a lvl1 fella, but some advice on what to do with him when he levels would be appreciated. I've no preferences when it comes to race, whatever you think would be best. Skills should include (obviously) ride and handle animal.

I'm a very new player but I think running people over on a warhorse just sounds cool.

So, anyone up for it?

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say: I'm using core only here and 4d6b3 stat generation
    Last edited by The Cats; 2008-04-15 at 11:38 PM.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

28. - Top - End - #928

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Hello all! I have a simple request: I'd like someone to help me out with making a fighter who focuses on mounted combat.
    Normally I'd suggest a halfling. Being able to bring your mount with you on dungencrawls is quite useful. But since you mentioned running people over, I'm guessing a Large mount is preferable.

Human Fighter 1

Ability scores:
    1.Str 2.Con 3.Dex 4.Int 5.Wis 6.Cha

Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge

Possible future feats: Mounted Archery, Trample, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Lance), Weapon Specialization (Lance).

Equipment:
    7 Heavy Wooden Shield
    3 3Javelins
    10 Lance
    8 Flail
    2 2Daggers
    100 Chain Shirt
    20 Other equipment

150 Total

You'll notice that your mounted fighter doesn't actually own a mount. He can't afford a proper war horse at level one. He could buy a light horse (replace chain shirt with studded leather), but they're almost useless in a fight.

Once you get your hands on a war horse you'll be all set for the triple damage charges. Don't forget to buy some barding for your horse. Also look for a good composite longbow, especially if you pick Mounted Archery.

29. - Top - End - #929

Quote Originally Posted by Iku Rex View Post
    Normally I'd suggest a halfling. Being able to bring your mount with you on dungencrawls is quite useful. But since you mentioned running people over, I'm guessing a Large mount is preferable.

Human Fighter 1

Ability scores:
    1.Str 2.Con 3.Dex 4.Int 5.Wis 6.Cha

Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge

Possible future feats: Mounted Archery, Trample, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Lance), Weapon Specialization (Lance).

Equipment:
    7 Heavy Wooden Shield
    3 3Javelins
    10 Lance
    8 Flail
    2 2Daggers
    100 Chain Shirt
    20 Other equipment

150 Total

You'll notice that your mounted fighter doesn't actually own a mount. He can't afford a proper war horse at level one. He could buy a light horse (replace chain shirt with studded leather), but they're almost useless in a fight.

Once you get your hands on a war horse you'll be all set for the triple damage charges. Don't forget to buy some barding for your horse. Also look for a good composite longbow, especially if you pick Mounted Archery.
    Shoop-da-whoop! thanks!
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

30. - Top - End - #930

Goblin

confused Re: Character Builder Thread

1. Character from scratch built to 10th level

2. Needs to be a character that can withstand punishment (read: tank), but also if possible have mobility and some sneakiness

a. Most Wizards of the Coast Especially Expanded Psionics, and Complete Psion. Also allowed is Hyperconcious from Sword/Sorcery Malhavoc Press. Not sure about TOB

b. Any, but prefer lower to no LA

c. See House Rules

d. 32 point buy

e. No evil, good preferred

f. Is homebrew Campaign setting ruled by psionics. Setting has NO MAGIC, also the main non-psionic core class is the Commoner, which is based off the Unearthed Arcana Warrior class. This commoner class has 2 good save, 2d10HD per level, 6+int skill points, fighter BAB and fighter feat progression, but with the ability to take special abilities such as evasion, mettle, etc.

g. Concept: If it can be done, I always liked the idea of a D&D Dragoon or Captain America.

h. Other: Psionic campaign world where Elan rule. The two players whose characters weren't killed last session have a Psion/Psychic Churgeon (surgeon) and the other one plays some kind of guy who controls creatures to fight for him (some dream related prestige class if I recall)

P.S. I don't have much experience with psionics besides the up-the-walls feat

Use whatever you need in the way of magic items, assuming that if the DM says no to something I can probably find some sort of replacement.
    Last edited by togapika; 2008-04-19 at 12:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?