New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Lords of Creation: In Character #2

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: This is a continuation of the IC thread of the game Lords of Creation, the original thread (Found HERE) having reached 50 pages. This post will contain a summary of the state of Creation at the end of the first IC, once I get done writing it. Until then, this is a placeholder post.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2011-01-13 at 11:08 PM.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Lords of Creation: In Character #2

Secrets! And Magic, Maybe

"Oh, I see." Turkin said, folding his arms. The Faeri were, as ever, enigmatic. The fact that one of them liked the Gnomes wasn't as surprising as it otherwise could have been, but it was still a minor shock.

"Would you mind us finishing up the lesson? I'm sure I can figure out a lot on my own, but I wouldn't mind learning a bit more before I end up finding out this big surprise. I like surprises, don't get me wrong, but getting both feet on solid ground with this magic stuff couldn't hurt before I do so." He said, taking a seat on the ground and folding his legs.

"So, uh, I'm ready if you are!" He added emphatically.

Vampyre's Bane, Citadel Tepplin! Tepplin, Vampyre's Bane! Play nice!
    The crew of the ship had put up with the extended journey rather well. Thanks to the miracle that was baseboard heating, combined with some rather hearty warm meals (Made with a minimum of fire damage to the ship's kitchens), the crew had actually got along without any losses. Some minor frostbite was the worst that the crewmen had to go through, and even then it just meant a couple days of rest whist the skin healed.

Adhering to the strange map, which they had installed into a short podium in front of the wheel, the ship had actually maintained a fairly steady course outside of the airspace of these Human-containing cities. Not that Folger saw why Humankind needed to be contained. It wasn't like the meteors were all that bad an event: They made sure there was lot of metal to be mined up, after all!

The diplomatic heavy artillery had been set out once more, the ship attempting to approach Citadel Tepplin on the upper levels. As the helmsman and his assistants once more retracted the ship's telescoping wings, causing the ship to dip abruptly in spite of the winter breeze, the Gnomes began to guide their airship towards anything that looked like a dock. Cannon crews stood at the ready in case this was all just a giant trap, though the ship's civilian contingent seemed just as ready. If this wasn't a trap, then there was a lot to learn about their new neighbors, and their very fragile-looking imitation of the Citadel!

Gremlins in The Citadel
    "Oh sod!" Was all Dalni could muster, as he witnessed the carnage of these tiny, bouncy little bastards. They had rained down on the massive, vertical city in all the fury that a bunch of looters could muster. The refineries, metalworks, and dry docks had been the key areas affected- and they had thus been the heart of a rather engaging conflict.

Bearing the Tome of Kali in both hands, the ancient artifact having helped the progression of Gnomes- not to mention serve as an excellent means of taking care of any Vampires that might have still lingered in the area after all these years- the Gnomish Legatus was currently using it to play a sort of whack-a-mole. He, alongside a platoon of Legionary Musketeers, had taken up position on one of the upper decks. Sixty Gnomes in total, they stood in three ranks of twenty.

They hadn't fired on the Gremlins, not yet, but as Dalni whacked another one away from one of the pivotal supports, the soldiers had put their rifle butts to good use.

"Who among you is leader?" Dalni shouted over the din of yips and the crackle of iron nails being pulled out of wood. Several scaffolds had already collapsed, the workers having evacuated the hanging drydocks and the ships kept there. What ships were capable of setting sail were currently cutting themselves from their various umbilicals, trying to make an emergency launch so as to avoid being disassembled for their various shiny or valuable-looking bits. Metallurgy had backfired on the Gnomes in this aspect, especially their new found love of metal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lead Populace (Fire By Rank). 1 AP
    Lead Populace (Early Steam Engine). 1 AP
    Lead Populace (Sophisticated Metallurgy). 1 AP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Pleasure Palace

Julien waits for Frig to return, he had very little to do. An artwork in the mean time. He flicked his fingers and a statue of Frig appeared in the middle of his throne room. He grinned and flicked his fingers again, and a large group of Elven maidens showed up all made of marble.

Spoiler
    Show
    21-11 (Julien's Marble Army +5 Combat Artifact) = 10 AP remaining.
    Last edited by Lady Tialait; 2011-01-12 at 01:08 PM.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

4. - Top - End - #4

The Spire, Area 06, The Blasted Isle

"Hm. It appears you are having problems, sir?"

The scrawny man behind the desk started at the voice, glancing up. He blinked, stared a moment, then shrugged.

"Bah, its nothing. Just a bit of petty ranting. I've issued a general hold order - we won't fire unless they do something stupid. And welcome back. How fares your sister? I confess, they've been barking louder than usual, but your division should strengthen us beyond any ability to assault. We now have nearly six times the garrison we had back during the... incident."

"As ever, she endures. Barring a medical miracle, that is all I can foresee. Still, she always believed in miracles... However, that is beside the point - Lord Baron, with your permission, may I at least place myself on standby? I always find that it is unwise to underestimate the capacity of humans for doing something stupid."

Baron Fredrik thought for a moment, nodded.

"If you wish, Knight-Commander. I doubt it will be necessary, but I will not stop you."

Outside the Spire, William was met with... nothing. He was simply ignored. The tieflings found little use for making a martyr of yapping dogs - as far as they were concerned, humans who spent their energy ranting away were humans not actually doing anything to resist the regime.

There was no reason to interfere. It would die down eventually, one way or another.

Gnomish Airship, Citadel Teppelin, The Blasted Isle

It wouldn't take long at all for one of the sharper-eyed gnomish lookouts to spot an entrance to the massive structure. The only problem was... it was closed. A colossal gate of crysteel, roughly halfway up the structure, which looked to be large enough to permit the passage on an entire fleet.

The gnomes could probably have spent weeks searching for a way through, but they were saved the trouble by an observant lookout. With the blaring of a deep, impossibly loud siren, the main gate into Teppelin began to open. It took a solid minute for the doors to slide open, as a multitude of lights flared to life. Their gleaming strands would guide the airship to the dock they were looking for. One of many.

The very moment the ship entered the confines of Teppelin, it was bathed in the amber radiance that pervaded the structure. All around hung a multitude of platforms and structures, hanging in midair. Everything was built from the crystalline substance that had composed the tiefling airship. Several massive cylindrical buildings hung around the apparent docking area - though these had the decency to be anchored to the ceiling. At least, they presumably were - from this angle, it was nearly impossible to actually view such altitudes.

There were a multitude of open docks, but the gnomes were spared the bother of selecting one when a harsh floodlight from one of the closest platforms illuminated them. The ship was hailed with what appeared to be the same gadget the tiefling captain had used.

"Gnomish Vessel Vampyre's Bane - dock immediately. You are obstructing air traffic in this sector. I repeat, dock immediately."

The dock in question was crawling with personnel - including more than a few of what appeared to be soldiers. What kind of host would they be without a welcoming committee, after all?

Homebrew:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Secrets! And Magic, Maybe

"Oh, I see." Turkin said, folding his arms. The Faeri were, as ever, enigmatic. The fact that one of them liked the Gnomes wasn't as surprising as it otherwise could have been, but it was still a minor shock.

"Would you mind us finishing up the lesson? I'm sure I can figure out a lot on my own, but I wouldn't mind learning a bit more before I end up finding out this big surprise. I like surprises, don't get me wrong, but getting both feet on solid ground with this magic stuff couldn't hurt before I do so." He said, taking a seat on the ground and folding his legs.

"So, uh, I'm ready if you are!" He added emphatically.
    "Of course. You nearly have the basics down as it is, and much of the rest beyond this would be me guiding you as you taught yourself. Now then, I believe we left off with the importance of somatic gestures in arcane spellcasting, and the significance of removing them from the incantion...."

By the end of the day, Turkin knew the basics of arcane spellcasting, and was given a tome containing many basic spells and incantations, as well as a few useful for attack and defense. He also was taught enough of the principles of enchantment and magical forgings to teach himself to craft almost any item imaginable, with practice.

In a few weeks, Turkin had been taught what almost any other teacher would take years to impart, and he understood it on a more fundamental level most archmages ever achieved. Iounchept is a very good teacher, and Turkin was one of the best pupils he ever taught..

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    The Spire, Area 06, The Blasted Isle

"Hm. It appears you are having problems, sir?"

The scrawny man behind the desk started at the voice, glancing up. He blinked, stared a moment, then shrugged.

"Bah, its nothing. Just a bit of petty ranting. I've issued a general hold order - we won't fire unless they do something stupid. And welcome back. How fares your sister? I confess, they've been barking louder than usual, but your division should strengthen us beyond any ability to assault. We now have nearly six times the garrison we had back during the... incident."

"As ever, she endures. Barring a medical miracle, that is all I can foresee. Still, she always believed in miracles... However, that is beside the point - Lord Baron, with your permission, may I at least place myself on standby? I always find that it is unwise to underestimate the capacity of humans for doing something stupid."

Baron Fredrik thought for a moment, nodded.

"If you wish, Knight-Commander. I doubt it will be necessary, but I will not stop you."

Outside the Spire, William was met with... nothing. He was simply ignored. The tieflings found little use for making a martyr of yapping dogs - as far as they were concerned, humans who spent their energy ranting away were humans not actually doing anything to resist the regime.

There was no reason to interfere. It would die down eventually, one way or another.
    After a few minutes of silence, Wilzako says "Do you not see? They ignore us, as if we truly were the worms they talk about. Is this the world we want for our children? I confess that I do not know what is out there in the world beyond, but I do know what is in the world here, Repression and hopelessness. We may appear weak to the casual eye, but I tell you, we are strong! Where one may fail alone, two can succeed, and three together are not easily hindered. We have within this city thousands of people, thousands of sources of strength. If we will move as one, there is nothing that we cannot do."

"Then let's go! Death to the Tyrants!" someone in the crowd shouted.

"No! Do not go against them now, for we are few, those with the courage to gather here today underneath the very shadow of the symbol of their oppression. No, I do not say 'let us attack' but 'let us talk'. Violence has been tried before, and their response was even more violence. Do not forget the many who died fighting for freedom. My own father was one of the martyrs, shot down while allowing a mother of five to escape. This time, we shall come at our oppressors with something far more dangerous than makeshift weapons and ill-prepared spells. We shall assault them with Unity, and with Determination. If all of us as one demand freedom, our voice will be heard even as mine was not today."

After a few more minutes of talking with the people and answering questions, the crowd dispersed, for it was approaching curfew, and it was death to violate that mandate.

Wilzako went his own way, when he heard one of his aunts whisper to him to take a different route home. He wandered through a back alley, and came upon a tiefling out patrolling.

Wilzako had only a few minutes before curfew was enforced, he had better hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmee View Post
    Its not that the Dwarves were hostile to this stranger, but it was mostly due to their natural distrust of the non-earthern races. After all, it was the Nerra who had manipulated the Dwarves and almost led them to extinction. So when Shota made herself known to the Children of the Earth, their reaction was one of caution. While it did seem that her intent was peaceful, they would take no chances. She was taken to the new Dwarven capital and granted an audience with Under-King Malaperdas.

"Speak then, what do you wish from the Children of the Earth?"
    he asks Shota.
    "I come to heal, and to teach, and to bring help, however your people need it. As I said before, I am Shota the Valkyrie, in service to Sozuchi, and battle sister to Brunhilda Boulderbutt."

Vortex Isle

There was a small clan of Chept spellcasters who had made their way to this island, seeking to learn from the one who had been born of magic. While they had not heard from him in a long time, they continued to better their magics over time. They came to see magic as almost a living thing, something that can be mastered, but not tamed. Those who did so became known as magisters, those whose breath itself was magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    ap: 0=4-1(create society: a Chept mage's cabal on the Vortex Island, called the Seekers of High Arcana)-1(create class: magister)-1(teach populace: self-research to the gnomes. When Turkin finally gets back home, he will have what it takes to teach others as well.)-1(guide populace: humans with hope and nonviolent protest tactics.)

gp: 21/21 Sozuchi is now dr5
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

6. - Top - End - #6

Wilzako, Area 06, The Blasted Isle

The tiefling guards glanced up at the ronin, then down to the holographic display in her hand... then back to Wilzako. She blinked. She stood there for a few seconds... and gave a muffled shriek.

"Mmmmeeeeeekkkk! Mm, um, um, ummmm..."

Fumbling slightly, she grabbed the red crysteel energy pistol from her hip, aiming it at the human. She actually still had the safety engaged, which would keep the weapon from firing, but she didn't seem to notice.

"Isn't it c-curfew by now? I t-thought all you humans were supposed to be home by now! I should... wait..."

The tiefling lowered her pistol slightly, checking something on her wrist. She groaned at just a glance.

Then, as if remembering her situation, she whipped the gun - still with the safety absently engaged - up to point at Wilzako once again. She was very clearly nervous. If the young man was familiar with tiefling insignias, he would recognize the single-bar pattern of a recruit on the shoulder of her uniform.

"...uh, forgot to reset my watch... But that's still too late for you to b-be over here! Uh, how did it go... uh... oh, yeah, Citizen, return to your designated habitation unit at once! Curfew is in less than a quarter hour! If you cannot make it home in time, please use one of the communal buildings or, uh... communal buildings or... ask shelter from a friend! That's it!"

Homebrew:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The tiefling guards glanced up at the ronin, then down to the holographic display in her hand... then back to Wilzako. She blinked. She stood there for a few seconds... and gave a muffled shriek.

"Mmmmeeeeeekkkk! Mm, um, um, ummmm..."

Fumbling slightly, she grabbed the red crysteel energy pistol from her hip, aiming it at the human. She actually still had the safety engaged, which would keep the weapon from firing, but she didn't seem to notice.

"Isn't it c-curfew by now? I t-thought all you humans were supposed to be home by now! I should... wait..."

The tiefling lowered her pistol slightly, checking something on her wrist. She groaned at just a glance.

Then, as if remembering her situation, she whipped the gun - still with the safety absently engaged - up to point at Wilzako once again. She was very clearly nervous. If the young man was familiar with tiefling insignias, he would recognize the single-bar pattern of a recruit on the shoulder of her uniform.

"...uh, forgot to reset my watch... But that's still too late for you to b-be over here! Uh, how did it go... uh... oh, yeah, Citizen, return to your designated habitation unit at once! Curfew is in less than a quarter hour! If you cannot make it home in time, please use one of the communal buildings or, uh... communal buildings or... ask shelter from a friend! That's it!"
    Bastion, Area 06

Familiar with the insignia of his captors, a point he studied deliberately, he said, "Indeed, I fear I am actually quite a ways away from my dwelling. However, you have nothing to fear from me. I am a simple man, without weapons in my hand and you have a pistol in yours." He holds his hands up to show that they are empty, and takes a step forwads. "Also, you might want to turn your safety off before you try to fire it. After all, clubbing a man to death with your gun is not the most effective means of enforcing curfew." He smiles reassuringly.

"I am Wilzako Pendroke. Might I know your name as well?"
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Sa'Mondo

And so as Day followed Night, dawn arose on Sa'Mondo. This time, the Great Eye of Mondo shone more fiercely than usual, driving back some of the encroaching winter.

Spoiler
    Show
    AP 0 = 1 - 1(SR2 w/+1 scaping, drive back the winter)
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Wilzako's virions begin to agitate, starting to inch towards the tiefling.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Bastion 06, the Blasted Isles

He quietly tells his lifelong companions through his thoughts, a link he had established with his Ronin powers: do not harm her. If you do infect her, be sure that it doesn't impair her. There is no need to kill anyone involved. However, it might just be useful if your influence spread among the tieflings. However, if a peaceful solution is not sought, the Knightmares might descend once again, and this time not be satisfied killing only some of the inhabitants.

11. - Top - End - #11

Gremlins in the Citadel
    The yips and cackles did not die down at all. Instead, all Dalni got for his efforts was an impromptu chorus of gremlins shouting "YER MOTHER!" and many other unspeakable things.

As Dalni watched, massive sacks of loot came into view pulled by many hundreds of gremlins each. All of this was forgotten when there was a sudden thunk-athunk as many of the little sods wound up trying to steal the bullets out of the rifles.

Meanwhile, a crane exploded in the distance sending a gremlin flying at roughly the speed of sound straight at the face of one of the soldiers.
    Last edited by Steilos; 2011-01-12 at 05:02 PM.
    Solomon Yeager by the exceedingly talented The Architect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Steilos
    Class: Thief
    Promotes to: Ninja

Skills
    Vantage - Allows the character to post first in all threads.
    Insight - Allows the character to see threads at a greater distance.
    Ah, mon petit choux fleur.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Wilzako, Bastion 06, The Blasted Isle

"Uh... right. My bad. My name is Olivia, infantry recruit, twenty-second division, serving under Knight-Commander Enki. We just got transferred here today."

With a quick motion, the tiefling disengaged the safety on her weapon. She didn't lower it though, and took a halfhearted step backwards in response to Wilzako's approach.

"And don't c-come any closer! Or I'll shoot! You don't need a weapon to hurt people really, really bad, and this could be some crazy... tricky... trick. Of trickery. Humans are good at that stuff."

Her threat sounded completely hollow, and her eyes kept darting between her weapon and the ronin. Her words meandered about, unfocused - she seemed to be having to remind herself of the danger of the situation as much as she was actually talking to Wilzako.

"I'm not even on-duty, I'm just trying to get a feel for the lay of the city after everyone goes to bed. Tomorrow I start my first posting, at the fields, and I don't want to get lost. That would be embarrassing. And if your home is far away, shouldn't you get going? There are houses all around if you are worried about making it on time."

Homebrew:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Wlizako - Area 06

"I felt a spirit draw me to this place, and now I think I know why. You have nothing to fear from me. I am a harmless young man who dreams of freedom, not some violent thug out to hurt someone. Regardless, I bid you good night and hope you remain safe on your patrol."

As he turns to walk away, he adds over his shoulder, "By the way, you are right, not all power lies in the form of a weapon. Words and hearts can be just as powerful. Remember that as you keep the peace, and no not sacrifice your heart in exchange for a bigger weapon." Wilzako disappears around the corner of a building. Olivia can hear a splash of water, then the sound of footsteps stop.

Should she investigate, she will find a puddle in the street, but no trace of the man she had met.

------------------------------------------------------

Knowing that he could never have made it back on foot, Wilzako used his ronin magic to call forth water from the air. Once so formed, he stepped through the puddle and entered the fountain in his home. Water was not plentiful in the Bastion, but here underground where Wilzako had carved out with the kappa's help a secret home for him, he had found a small underground stream.

The family whose house was over the site of this cave did not mind if the strange young man lived beneath their basement, for he was good with the children and has skills as a healer. They pretended to ignore the signs that he had skill with magic, something that would cause trouble should he be found out.

Wilzako sighed when he got back. Today had been disappointing but informative. He had not expected the oppressors to actually respond to him, but had hoped that they might. He just knew that is he could talk with them, he could show them that humanity was nothing to be afraid of. The way the Bastion was designed to keep the people forced on the bottom was wrong, but it was not the jailkeepers who were at fault for the jail. If only they could be shown that there was nothing to fear fromthe humans, there si no reason why things had to be so restrictive.

Wilzako longed for the day that he would be free, free to live as he would under the open sky, when his people would be free to live as they chose and go where they pleased. Whatever crimes his ancestors may or may not have committed, this situation was wrong.

Nevertheless, he knew that the tieflings were not cruel or unfair people by and large. They adminstered the rules equally, and were not unnecesarily cruel or bloodthirsty in enforcing the rules. It was the institution itself which was evil.

It was with such philosophical thoughts that Wilzako fell asleep that night.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Agrias Bastion 6

Boring, nobody got killed. Well whoever the kid was he had potential. After the speech was over he followed close behind, wow. He talked down a Tiefling. Lots of potential. Enough potential to warrant a gift, Agrias returned to his house to pick something up. From his house like any other, he sneaks out carrying a pole with white cloth wrapped around the end.

With the pole in hand he found the kid, carefully moved himself into the house, and stood over Wilzako's bed until he woke.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

15. - Top - End - #15

Blasted Isle, Area 6

Kishiro collapsed backwards as the blade left his body. It was quick, even in his altered mind, time enough for regrets and memories between when he began to fall, and when he slammed against the ground. Swiftly then did his spirit flee, the soul forsaking the flesh for things beyond the realm of man. Blackness overtook it too, and silence. Was death nothing more?

Elsewhere...

In the blackness, there came a voice. "You have done well." If he still had a body, it would have been called a flush of pleasure at that. It did not last. "But not well enough. Not perfect. You failed." Sensations of pain, of shame... "You did try. For that, you will have a rare gift. You will remember with clarity many would envy, and many would fear. Your path is a long one. Do not falter." The voice that passed through him faded, and there was darkness.

Somewhere through time...

The darkness surrounded him for a time, ever pushing closer, until things seemed cramped, disorganized. Thoughts and memories floated around, difficult to reach. Then, pain, pain, unlike any remembered, although he did remember. The pain was welcome though, for it was something. There was light. But how could he see light without eyes? Ah, then he must have eyes...

"A beautiful babe... look!" From father to mother the little one was passed, hands cradling him, rocking him at her breast as they watched their new life.

The midwife watched, a frown. The boy made not a noise as he came forth, and she thought it dead on birth, if not for the breathing. But it did breath, even before it opened its eyes. It had done it slower than other babes she had delivered. But it was the lack of crying that disturbed her the most -- babes were supposed to noisy. That's the way things were. The sun burned overhead, the people suffered regardless of the leader, and babes cried. But not this one....

Blasted Isle, Area 6

It was a relatively simple matter for the other Fist to play dead. He had gone far enough in training to be able to nearly shut down his entire body, and make his escape later. Thus it was that word got back to the enclaves, both of what happened in the Bastion, and Kishiro's actions. They could not commend him -- that would only encourage foolishness, especially among the younger members. But even of some of the few upper adepts who heard were struck by the courage and sentiment in such sacrifice.

Great Desert

A strange thing happened. In hold and desert, camp and roaming camp, inside Tagwe and out, the Mteule women all were similarly affected -- each and every one, in the span of forty nights, were with child. Such a massive population uprising was unheard of in the Desert -- pregnancy made certain activities difficult, and the heat was less than pleasant. From young to old, if they were old enough to bear children, they did. Every camp had children scampering around at night soon, and the numbers of Mteule seemed limitless, despite the numerous threats that had been reducing them for years. In fact, even more strangely, no where was there the normal tale of accidents with the children -- no adder bites, no Jagter hunting, no Rocs descending to carry them off. All was strangely quiet....

Spoiler
    Show

AP 4 - 0 (Raise Hero: Kishiro/Unknown (Free from Mythic) ) - 0 (MR 4 Bless on Mteule, free from Face) = 4

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Agrias Bastion 6

Boring, nobody got killed. Well whoever the kid was he had potential. After the speech was over he followed close behind, wow. He talked down a Tiefling. Lots of potential. Enough potential to warrant a gift, Agrias returned to his house to pick something up. From his house like any other, he sneaks out carrying a pole with white cloth wrapped around the end.

With the pole in hand he found the kid, carefully moved himself into the house, and stood over Wilzako's bed until he woke.
    Wilzako awoke the next morning just as the sun arose, and was startled to see a strange figure loom over his bed. He called out only one word, "Shtrichto" and two blue-white Kappa manifested themselves and wrapped their bodies around the legs and torso of the invader, trapping his arms.

"Who are you, and how long have you been following me? In fact, how did you follow me when I used a puddle of water as a portal to move instantly from one side of the bastion to the other?"

17. - Top - End - #17

Imperial Quarters, Teppelin, The Blasted Isle

When the Eye of Mondo had begun its cycle of day and night, those years ago, it had brought many changes. Some were welcome. Some were useful. And then... there was morning. Some people claimed to like mornings.

Kiki was of the opinion that they were lying. Nobody could possibly like mornings.

Groaning, she pulled the covers back over her head for a few moments before sitting up and sighing. She glanced to her her side, sighing more heavily still at the empty place. She understood that the schedule of the Empress was a demanding one... but she'd like, just once, to not wake up alone. Still, she was used to it - she'd wed a workaholic, fully aware of what that meant. It was still worth it.

Slipping into her clothes, she strolled casually to the small kitchen she'd requested be installed in the dwelling. Not that she liked cooking - actually, she hated it with a fervor. Ifrit had informed her that her 'skills' with food preparation might actually break the laws of reality. But Genome was an excellent cook, and one of the perks of being the Empress-Consort was that she could commandeer the city-spanning bio-computer to make her breakfast. She'd raised her hand, ready to give the gesture that would call up the bearded visage of the construct, but froze at an unexpected sight.

"...Yumiko? Yumiko! What are you doing here?"

Sure enough, the general sat at her table. While she technically lived here as well, Yumiko was forever requesting deployments in the field. Her presence was a rarity. Like Kiki, she hadn't aged a day in the years since the rise of Teppelin. Which is not to say she looked unchanged - with her light sleeveless robe, her crysteel replacement of a right arm glinted in the artificial light.

"I did not wish to spend this day alone. Too many sad thoughts. I... I need a sister right now."

Kiki lowered her hand, casting her gaze downward.

"Oh. Today again. I'd almost forgotten. I... wish I could. I wish we could just forget all this death, even for just a little while, and... make something new."

Taking a seat, she knitted her hand together - a habit she'd unconsciously picked up from Teikoku. Taking a deep breath, she hesitantly phrased a question to her lifelong friend and sworn sister.

"Yumi... would I make a good parent?"

Enki, Area 06, The Blasted Isle

In the confines of the Spire, silence reigned. Gathered in quiet mourning, the soldiers of the city watched the Crysteel screen, listening to the broadcast.

"...and now, continuing our vigil, words from the Lord-Marshal Idra, broadcasting from Teppelin..."

The screen shifted to a view of a solemn tiefling, back-lit by the characteristic ambiance light of the Capital. He spoke calmly, his voice and temper even. There was no fire to his words. But they were cool, and soothing.

"Thank you. People of the Empire, you all know why we gather today. We gather to remember, to hold those memories close to out heart. Twenty years ago, to the day, we suffered a terrible tragedy. When a cruel and unprovoked terrorist attack on Area 06 broke out, none could have suspected that it would be the most unthinkable tragedy of our Empire's history."

"But heinous as their actions were, we do not gather to remember the monstrous villains who committed this crime. We gather to remember the heroes of that day - the Knight, who stood against the mob alone that the foot soldiers under his command might escape to the Spire. We remember the infantry who gave their all to quell the battle with a minimum of bloodshed. We remember the eighty-nine noble warriors who made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty."

"Join me now in a moment of silence in honor the 89 who died that day..."

Enki gritted his sharply pointed teeth, scowling and hanging his head. The memory of that day was still fresh, after all these years.

"Sir?"

A whisper, and a tap on the shoulder surprised him. One of the few who hadn't been pulled off surveillance duty. He dragged the aide out of the main hall... and as he listened, his face contorted in utter rage.

"They... what? Tell no one for another hour. Do not disturb the vigil. I will handle this myself."

Brimming with anger, the Knight-Commander strode out into the silent city.

Someone would bleed for this.
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Actions!

AP: 6 - 0 (Lead Populace - Telecommunications and advanced Scrying; free from Leader of Men)

Final AP: 6
    GP: 15/21

Homebrew:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Imperial Quarters, Teppelin, The Blasted Isle

When the Eye of Mondo had begun its cycle of day and night, those years ago, it had brought many changes. Some were welcome. Some were useful. And then... there was morning. Some people claimed to like mornings.

Kiki was of the opinion that they were lying. Nobody could possibly like mornings.

Groaning, she pulled the covers back over her head for a few moments before sitting up and sighing. She glanced to her her side, sighing more heavily still at the empty place. She understood that the schedule of the Empress was a demanding one... but she'd like, just once, to not wake up alone. Still, she was used to it - she'd wed a workaholic, fully aware of what that meant. It was still worth it.

Slipping into her clothes, she strolled casually to the small kitchen she'd requested be installed in the dwelling. Not that she liked cooking - actually, she hated it with a fervor. Ifrit had informed her that her 'skills' with food preparation might actually break the laws of reality. But Genome was an excellent cook, and one of the perks of being the Empress-Consort was that she could commandeer the city-spanning bio-computer to make her breakfast. She'd raised her hand, ready to give the gesture that would call up the bearded visage of the construct, but froze at an unexpected sight.

"...Yumiko? Yumiko! What are you doing here?"

Sure enough, the general sat at her table. While she technically lived here as well, Yumiko was forever requesting deployments in the field. Her presence was a rarity. Like Kiki, she hadn't aged a day in the years since the rise of Teppelin. Which is not to say she looked unchanged - with her light sleeveless robe, her crysteel replacement of a right arm glinted in the artificial light.

"I did not wish to spend this day alone. Too many sad thoughts. I... I need a sister right now."

Kiki lowered her hand, casting her gaze downward.

"Oh. Today again. I'd almost forgotten. I... wish I could. I wish we could just forget all this death, even for just a little while, and... make something new."

Taking a seat, she knitted her hand together - a habit she'd unconsciously picked up from Teikoku. Taking a deep breath, she hesitantly phrased a question to her lifelong friend and sworn sister.

"Yumi... would I make a good parent?"

In the confines of the Spire, silence reigned. Gathered in quiet mourning, the soldiers of the city watched the Crysteel screen, listening to the broadcast.

"...and now, continuing our vigil, words from the Lord-Marshal Idra, broadcasting from Teppelin..."

The screen shifted to a view of a solemn tiefling, back-lit by the characteristic ambiance light of the Capital. He spoke calmly, his voice and temper even. There was no fire to his words. But they were cool, and soothing.

"Thank you. People of the Empire, you all know why we gather today. We gather to remember, to hold those memories close to out heart. Twenty years ago, to the day, we suffered a terrible tragedy. When a cruel and unprovoked terrorist attack on Area 06 broke out, none could have suspected that it would be the most unthinkable tragedy of our Empire's history."

"But heinous as their actions were, we do not gather to remember the monstrous villains who committed this crime. We gather to remember the heroes of that day - the Knight, who stood against the mob alone that the foot soldiers under his command might escape to the Spire. We remember the infantry who gave their all to quell the battle with a minimum of bloodshed. We remember the eighty-nine noble warriors who made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty."

"Join me now in a moment of silence in honor the 89 who died that day..."

Enki gritted his sharply pointed teeth, scowling and hanging his head. The memory of that day was still fresh, after all these years.

"Sir?"

A whisper, and a tap on the shoulder surprised him. One of the few who hadn't been pulled off surveillance duty. He dragged the aide out of the main hall... and as he listened, his face contorted in utter rage.

"They... what? Tell no one for another hour. Do not disturb the vigil. I will handle this myself."

Brimming with anger, the Knight-Commander strode out into the silent city.

Someone would bleed for this.
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Actions!

AP: 6 - 0 (Lead Populace - Telecommunications and advanced Scrying; free from Leader of Men)

Final AP: 6
    GP: 15/21
    Bastion Area 06

A few months after the events with the stalker in his bedroom, Wilzaki woke up one morning to the sound of kappa whispering in his ear, "Happy birthday, Will."

Wilzaki hated birthdays. Not because he was old. In fact, this was only his twentieth in this world. No, he hated birthdays for a different reason. They were also the day that marked the anniversary of the single biggest massacre in history, barring the events of the Raging Cataclysm many generations ago. That day proved to all the world that it didn't take a god to kill mortals, they were perfectly adept at exterminating themselves.

He rose up stiffly, and got dressed. He and his followers had planned soemthing toda, in honor of the over three hundred who were slaughtered that day, many of whom had not even raised a weapon when a Knightmare gunned them down. However many tieflings had died in the struggle, there had been far more human corpses thrown into heaps for mass burials than there had been tiefling bodies carefully retrieve and buried with honor.

The public gathering to mourn the lost humans had not been banned specifically, but the occupational army had made it clear that the human insurgents who had died were to be considered criminals, not martyrs. Thus, today, exactly twenty years after the even, Wilzaki planned something to remember the dead. Something big, by repressed Bastion standards. For each person who had died in the killings and confirmed dead, one of their descendants agreed to gather in the rice fields, each with a small carved figurine of the lost one, along with one for each tiefling slain with their own tokens. The groups would stand apart from each other, and alternately throw their figurines into the middle between the two of them, one human, then one tiefling. When the tieflings ran out sooner, the human figurines were thrown down, and a pause given where their name was said.

This also marked the first time that anyone had numbered the exact total of human losses. They came out to 327.

Concluding the ceremony, several humans got up and spoke. Wilzaki was given the honor of speaking last, for his words were greatly honored.

The first to speak was Umikiro, one of the last few survivors who remembered the outside world. He was ancient beyond memory, all his children dying before him, and he himself had lost count of the number of his days. He spoke of the past, of the glories of the Blessed Empire, from before the devastation. Two of his grandsons helped him down afterwords.

Many others spoke, from oldest to youngest, eighty-eight in all. Wilzaki then rose up to give his own speech. "My brothers, my sisters, I come here today to speak not of the past, but of the future. The future that two different peoples fought for twenty years ago, two futures along the same course, and the outcome of that fateful day. The humans fought to bring a brighter life to their futures and those of their children, while the tieflings-"

It was then that Wilzaki noticed that a tiefling had begun to lurk at the edge of the crowd, staring intently at him.

19. - Top - End - #19

Teikoku, Teppelin, The Blasted Isle

"You want... children?"

Teikoku looked quizzically at Kiki. Even after so much time together, she could still make the air adept deeply uncomfortable with nothing but a simple vocal inflection. But as amusing as it could be to make her mortal spouse squirm on occasion, she still loved the girl.

"You know what, uh, forget it, I..."

"No, no... the idea has remarkable merit. My brothers all have children of their own. It is possible. But you... you are different. This..."

Teikoku closed her eyes, lost deep in thought for a solid minute. She spoke softly without opening them.

"...to merge the Spiral with the structure of divinity? It would be foolish. Reckless. Irresponsible. Courting disaster. Who knows what kind of power such a child could wield? That is what I think. But..."

"It isn't what you feel, is it? Tei, I'm begging you, for once in your life don't think! What if the opposite is true? What if this could be the thing that we've been looking for? And she'd be ours! We..."

"...very well."

"We... wait, did you agree?"

"Yes."

Teikoku was... smiling. Actually smiling, widely and genuinely.

"I'm not thinking. About this one thing. It is... refreshing. I must thank you."

Inputting a simple command onto a nearby crysteel console, she summoned up a familiar face.

"Genome. We require science."

"Of course milady. Fusing divine genetics with mortal ones into viable offspring with the mystical power of shiny rocks is practically the definition of science. I shall notify the Bio ward..."

"Oh, dear, it appears I've been noticed!"

The tiefling's voice dripped with sarcasm. The lanky, blonde-haired man flashed a mirthless grin full of viciously sharp teeth before beginning to stroll around the edge of the crowd towards Will.

"Well, really, go ahead, would you? Don't let me stop you! Tell everyone about the people your kind killed! The people who the humans attacked, butchered, murdered without a shred of honor. How about the knight caught outside his knightmare - all he had was his sword. 'Course, you lot just couldn't have that, could you? You had to crush him with your multitudes, when he'd done nothing wrong be be a tad too trusting. Must have realized he could take any of you if the fight was fair!"

"There's a lass in my squad, so go on, I'd like to hear you tell everyone how her brother died! A shattered bottle in his gut, before he even realized a battle had begun, his gun stolen and his body left to bleed out in an ally without even the honor of a mercy kill!"

By now Enki stood mere meters from Will. He spread his arms wide, hands open. He was still grinning, his every word was dripping with malice.

"Hells, I could go on all day, but you're the one with the nice stage! Like I said, please continue. You've covered the terrorists, but I'm here to hear the speech on the heroes who stopped them!"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Actions!~

AP: 6 - 1 (Create Class - Knight) - 1 (Create Class - Soldier) - 2 (Create Prestige Classes - Archmage and Teppelin Arcanist) - 2 (Create Prestige Classes - Crysteel Adept and Imperial Knight)

Final AP: 0
    GP: 21/21 - Level up!

Knights and Soldiers (a class that focuses on ranged weapons, group tactics, and has natural proficiency with the energy weapons favored by the Tieflings, to be homebrewed when I can, unless I can find something that works for them) are both common in the Tiefling armies, along with Warblades. The prestige classes (except Imperial Knight) are all the result of tiefling research into structuring the arcane and unlocking its properties.

Archmagi wield a degree of precise control previously unheard of, even among the most disciplined wizards. However, their numbers are small, and most are researchers and scholars, not members of the army. Teppelin Arcanists are identical to Mages of the Arcane Order, except that Teppelin's massive magical reserves are the source of their powers. Crysteel Adepts wield the potent magics of Crysteel in incredible ways, attuning themselves to the mystical material on a fundamental level and gaining the power to project the essence of the stuff through sheer force of will - they are mechanically identical to Initiates of the Sevenfold Veil.

Imperial Knights are warriors who take to the field in mighty Knightmares, gaining one and the skills required to use it. Also to-be-homebrewed, obviously.

Homebrew:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Wilzako - the Memorial

"Sir, if you would like to speak on behalf of your people, I would be honored to hear your thoughts." Wilzako said calmly. He stepped down and offered the speaker's stand to the tiefling.

21. - Top - End - #21

The noise and activity, if anything, was perhaps the poorest choice the inhabitants of Tepplin could have made. A Gnome, when presented with a new thing, was almost immediately inclined to take it apart and see how it worked. As it was, it was only due to Folger and sheer force of will (Mostly his) that had prevented the crysteel device from being torn apart in so very, very many ways.

In the middle of an area so unique, so different from the very efficient, devotedly singe-purpose machinery of the Citadel? It was somewhere on par with a truck full of Twinkis crashing through the concertina wire fence of a fat camp. Several of the civilian crew had to be effectively blockaded in to prevent them from trying to take a flying lunge at a few of the more impressive pieces of technology.

And the people holding them in weren't doing much better. Even the soldiers were eyeballing the distance from the Bane to other ships. As Folger was consumed with the task of guiding the ship into the precise pathing required for a safe landing, this had left the Legion sub-commanders to marshal their forces. Crates, packed with straw and containing blackpowder rifles, were pried open.

In that same motion, crates containing alembics and other such pieces of scientific equipment were opened. Glass vials and beakers, stuffed with cotton, were quickly fixed.

Both scientists and soldiers prepared to debark as the ship glided in, its captain hoping for just enough air current left to make it to the pier. Apparently, these tieflings didn't need a good wind to dock their ships safely.

Just another mystery to figure out.

Gnomish Archmage: World Is Screwed. End Of Story...Or Is It?

Turkin, at the end of the umpteenth week of study, had definitely...naturalized. He, as well as his other companions, had changed considerably. For himself, Turkin had adopted the simple clothing favored by Chept spellcasters- after, of course, adjusting it a bit. Returning to the Citadel had always been an option, of course, but he had needed to learn so much. His original thoughts on magic, as just explaining away natural phenomenon, had been rather opened up.

Especially since he had the not-so-small revelation that magic was not only a natural event unto itself, but that magic could enforce change upon other natural laws. It was, quite frankly, something that could mean up is down, left is right, and that stone- if one could properly persuade it- was really just as buoyant as a river barge.

Currently, Turkin was focused on a simple figure-eight pattern with a bit of water. The chanting and the rituals served their purpose, but he couldn't help but feel that there was always more to discover. The Faeri had remarked that the fancy chanting to summon it was...what? Purposeless? Unnecessary?

So much more to discover, but not enough time. As the water continued its infinite loop, he eventually dismissed the effect, guiding the water back into its bowl. Water that Fulmip promptly drank, as the now-rather-muscular Gnome finished his exercise. Turkin had tried, once, to keep pace with the seemingly exercise-obsessed man.

He had lost his breath, and collapsed, somewhere around the six mile mark. Fulmip had become a physical machine, and- unbeknown to the Gnomes present- that was just as well. He was just mirroring a similar divide that was taking place on the Citadel. On the topic of which, whilst Fulmip and Turkin had gone their own way, the others had as well- leaving for long periods of time to the crash site, usually asking either one of them or some local Chept to help escort them as they repaired the crashed ship.

"So." The first Gnomish Archmage said to Iounchept, on the eve of his seventh week in study, "It seems like a lot of what's left to learn is on my own. Or, at least, on my own with a few books to guide my way. I think I've said so a couple of times, but I actually do appreciate this. All of this, in fact. The shelter, the food, the knowledge. I've told you a bit about some agriculture stuff I've picked up along the way, though I'm sure that when- when the Citadel catches wind," He finished, finding himself unsure- for the first time- about returning home, "They'll gladly share more with you all."

"But," He said, "I still was asked to see these Oni about that favor the Faeri mentioned. Before anyone goes anywhere, would you- or some of the other Chept- mind taking me and the others to see them? I wouldn't mean to impress upon anyone, but it's something I'm still curious about."

Gremlins in the Citadel
    At the explosion, Dalni couldn't help but gasp at the carnage erupting from the crane, "The powder charges! They lit the-"

His sentence was cut off as the soldier next to him suddenly went down, his rifle clattering away as the gremlin crashed into him. The Gnome's neck was obviously broken, the musketeer jerking around like a fish out of water. Muscles clenched and unclenched, and it was at that point that Dalni decided enough was enough. He wasn't going to lose perfectly good men to this ragged band!

"Mount-ah, bayonets!" He shouted, perhaps a bit too late. The Gremlins were swarming over the outer edges of the group, many of the soldiers currently trying to both mount bayonets on the rifles and simultaneously fight off the feisty little looters grabbing at their shot and powder satchels.

"Open fire!" Was the pivotal command, punctuated by Dalni- joined by those musketeers currently not fighting to keep their valuables- fired in a staggered line at the mass of Gremlins overrunning the drydocks. Burning crane fragments, uncaring for the battle erupting, had begun to rain down. A large section of heavy cable smashed into the wing of one of the escaping ships formerly docked, causing it to barrel roll- with another catastrophic explosion- into a minor bank. The heavy iron door of the vault was ripped off its stone hinges, revealing the treasure trove of carefully-kept gold that was so vital to backing the Gnomish currency.

It was only hope, and a mere handful of now suitably terrified bank guards, that would keep the Gremlins from detecting this uncovered treasure trove. And hope didn't have much in the way of worth right now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Turnover: 11 AP!
    Last edited by Gunther; 2011-01-13 at 06:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Enki, The Memorial, Area 06

"First off, human," The word was practically dripping with venom, "I speak for myself. Not for the Empire. Not for tieflings. I came here alone, of my own accord, for one reason." He shouldered his way onto the platform, unnecessarily shoving Will aside.

"I came, because I couldn't believe that you apes were treating the scum that died at the hands of our soldiers that day like some kind of heroes! I'd thought before that day that I'd seen the depths to which humans would sink, but oh was I wrong! Such cowardice! Such dishonor!"
    He clenched a fist, raising it to eye level. "Did you know that no soldier that died that day did so fighting against odds of anything less than three to one? Is that the 'nobility' of humanity? Is that what your 'heroes' are made of? Ganging up on those whose boots they are not fit to lick, then crying and sobbing the the corner when it turns out their little schemes weren't thought out quite as well as they ought to be?!"

Enki's fist was trembling. It was taking every ounce of his discipline to not simply snap the neck of the human speaker. But he continued, every word ablaze with spite. "Let me tell you something about that day! Let me tell you about the moment that snuffed out any hope I might have had for you worms. After all you had done, all the atrocities you had committed, all those dead because of you, Lady Yumiko - in her mercy - offered to spare you! All she asked was that the leader of the mob stand up and take responsibility for his actions! One man or woman could have stopped everything that came after!"

Reaching down, Enki grabbed one of the human figurines from the ground. He studied it, silent for a moment, then drew his hand back and hurled it down. The statuette shattered into tiny fragments as it impacted the crysteel slab serving as a speaking platform. A booted foot further ground the shards into dust.

"ONE! NEVER HAVE I SEEN SUCH COWARDICE! SUCH ARROGANCE!"
    The tiefling paused, catching his breath and collecting himself. He next words had returned to deadly calm. "No-one stepped forward. Nobody wanted to take responsibility. And because of that disgusting cowardice, you little worms died. Which brings me to why I've come here today..."

He held his arms wide once more, palms open... and grinning hatefully once again. "I come here, unarmed. Alone. I was there that day. My blades dripped with the blood of cowards and worms. Dozens of apes have died at my hands. And I hear you speak of honor, and ask you to prove it! Avenge them! Fight me! Fist to fist, face to face! One on one! The battle you never gave my comrades the chance to have!"

As the piloting skills of the Admiral brought the Bane into a docking position, everyone on board would a slight shuddering lurch as Crysteel clamps affixed themselves firmly to the bottom of the hull. The timber, more fragile than the crysteel the anchors were designed to interact with, groaned slightly - but gnomish engineering held out. As the clamps retracted, pulling the ship gently towards the platform, it might occur to an observer that - for better or worse - the gnomes were now trapped.

From a hovering stack of identical devices, a simple slab of crysteel drifted into place, neatly bridging the gap between the platform and the gnomish ship. It ominously lacked rails, but any gnome to try to set foot on it would feel a strong pull originating from the object, pressuring them away from the edges. A clean-cut, sharply dressed individual stood at the bottom of the impromptu ramp. Flanking him were a good two dozen soldiers with rifles and body armor in full view. He called up to the crew of the Bane, not needing an amplifier at this distance.

"Ah, you would be the gnomish envoys I've heard about! Why don't you come down here and introduce yourselves properly, hmm? Don't worry about the ship - we'll take fine care of her. I really must insist."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: AP!~

AP: 0 + 8 (Rollover)
    Bonus AP: 0 + 3 (2nd IC Bonus)

Final AP: 8
    Final Bonus AP: 3
    GP: 0/24

Homebrew:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Gnomish Archmage: World Is Screwed. End Of Story...Or Is It?

Turkin, at the end of the umpteenth week of study, had definitely...naturalized. He, as well as his other companions, had changed considerably. For himself, Turkin had adopted the simple clothing favored by Chept spellcasters- after, of course, adjusting it a bit. Returning to the Citadel had always been an option, of course, but he had needed to learn so much. His original thoughts on magic, as just explaining away natural phenomenon, had been rather opened up.

Especially since he had the not-so-small revelation that magic was not only a natural event unto itself, but that magic could enforce change upon other natural laws. It was, quite frankly, something that could mean up is down, left is right, and that stone- if one could properly persuade it- was really just as buoyant as a river barge.

Currently, Turkin was focused on a simple figure-eight pattern with a bit of water. The chanting and the rituals served their purpose, but he couldn't help but feel that there was always more to discover. The Faeri had remarked that the fancy chanting to summon it was...what? Purposeless? Unnecessary?

So much more to discover, but not enough time. As the water continued its infinite loop, he eventually dismissed the effect, guiding the water back into its bowl. Water that Fulmip promptly drank, as the now-rather-muscular Gnome finished his exercise. Turkin had tried, once, to keep pace with the seemingly exercise-obsessed man.

He had lost his breath, and collapsed, somewhere around the six mile mark. Fulmip had become a physical machine, and- unbeknown to the Gnomes present- that was just as well. He was just mirroring a similar divide that was taking place on the Citadel. On the topic of which, whilst Fulmip and Turkin had gone their own way, the others had as well- leaving for long periods of time to the crash site, usually asking either one of them or some local Chept to help escort them as they repaired the crashed ship.

"So." The first Gnomish Archmage said to Iounchept, on the eve of his seventh week in study, "It seems like a lot of what's left to learn is on my own. Or, at least, on my own with a few books to guide my way. I think I've said so a couple of times, but I actually do appreciate this. All of this, in fact. The shelter, the food, the knowledge. I've told you a bit about some agriculture stuff I've picked up along the way, though I'm sure that when- when the Citadel catches wind," He finished, finding himself unsure- for the first time- about returning home, "They'll gladly share more with you all."

"But," He said, "I still was asked to see these Oni about that favor the Faeri mentioned. Before anyone goes anywhere, would you- or some of the other Chept- mind taking me and the others to see them? I wouldn't mean to impress upon anyone, but it's something I'm still curious about."
    Gnomish archmage has a trip that out of this world - kinda

"Of course. You are now ready to visit the Oni. They live at Onigawa, a subset of the plane of Kamigawa, the spirit realm. It is rather more trivial to travel to it than any of the other planes of existence. However, the easiest way leaves your body behind and only your spirit goes on the trip. This leaves your body vulnerable until you get back, and only knowledge can be taken back with you. However, it does have the advantage of being simple to set up and your spirit is practically invulnerable while there. If it is somehow "destroyed", the spell ends and you are returned to your body. However, if you'd like, we can instead transport you there bodily. Such a working is outside your own expertise at the moment, but I could easily set up the spell for you. Which do you prefer?"

"First off, human," The word was practically dripping with venom, "I speak for myself. Not for the Empire. Not for tieflings. I came here alone, of my own accord, for one reason." He shouldered his way onto the platform, unnecessarily shoving Will aside.

"I came, because I couldn't believe that you apes were treating the scum that died at the hands of our soldiers that day like some kind of heroes! I'd thought before that day that I'd seen the depths to which humans would sink, but oh was I wrong! Such cowardice! Such dishonor!"
    He clenched a fist, raising it to eye level. "Did you know that no soldier that died that day did so fighting against odds of anything less than three to one? Is that the 'nobility' of humanity? Is that what your 'heroes' are made of? Ganging up on those whose boots they are not fit to lick, then crying and sobbing the the corner when it turns out their little schemes weren't thought out quite as well as they ought to be?!"

Enki's fist was trembling. It was taking every ounce of his discipline to not simply snap the neck of the human speaker. But he continued, every word ablaze with spite. "Let me tell you something about that day! Let me tell you about the moment that snuffed out any hope I might have had for you worms. After all you had done, all the atrocities you had committed, all those dead because of you, Lady Yumiko - in her mercy - offered to spare you! All she asked was that the leader of the mob stand up and take responsibility for his actions! One man or woman could have stopped everything that came after!"

Reaching down, Enki grabbed one of the human figurines from the ground. He studied it, silent for a moment, then drew his hand back and hurled it down. The statuette shattered into tiny fragments as it impacted the crysteel slab serving as a speaking platform. A booted foot further ground the shards into dust.

"ONE! NEVER HAVE I SEEN SUCH COWARDICE! SUCH ARROGANCE!"
    The tiefling paused, catching his breath and collecting himself. He next words had returned to deadly calm. "No-one stepped forward. Nobody wanted to take responsibility. And because of that disgusting cowardice, you little worms died. Which brings me to why I've come here today..."

He held his arms wide once more, palms open... and grinning hatefully once again. "I come here, unarmed. Alone. I was there that day. My blades dripped with the blood of cowards and worms. Dozens of apes have died at my hands. And I hear you speak of honor, and ask you to prove it! Avenge them! Fight me! Fist to fist, face to face! One on one! The battle you never gave my comrades the chance to have!"
    Area 06

Talking of honor struck a nerve with Wilzako. His people, the Ronin had never been considered honorable by either society they were a part of, but they had a code of honor, of ethics. All that Will had seek of the tielfing code of honor boiled down to "have a deadlier weapon and follow the rules you make up". However, he knew that he was no fighter. Besides which, what good would it do to attack this tiefling? It would prove nothing. Instead, he used the power of words.

"Really? You whine of honor? When have your people ever acted with honor? You whine about three to one odds and unofficial weaponry. What honor is there in an unarmed man being gunned down by an armed soldier? If you think we are without honor, we have all the honor your people allowed us. You keep us like animals in cages! Never once have our two peoples known anything but the relationship of master and slave. You whine about honor, but it is your very own rules which have denied us any honorable means of bettering ourselves, of seeking a future for our children outside of squalor and despair. You accused us on that day of cowardice, yet who was it that felt comfortable behind their two dozen Knightmares and dozens of guns. Your people hide behind advanced weapons for fear of what would happen should you actually face us on even terms. If we are worms and apes, what fears a worm? Only that filth that eats it!"

Wilzako was speaking only to the tiefling, but his words were heard by all present. That tends to happen when you are the center of attention to a crowd of some 400 humans. Twelve of those closest to the tiefling turned and charged at him all at once, fury on their faces and a shout of revenge in their throats. The rest of the crowd was whipped into such a fury by his speech that the surrounded him, chanting, "death to the filth".

24. - Top - End - #24

Bacsphaal, the Rot

While Bacsphaal was waiting, a black shadow suddenly bursts out of the ground next to him and out rides the Black Rider, replete with monstrous steed. He whispers something in Bacsphaal's ear and then leaves. The Lord of Want's face darkens immeasurably.

Gremlins In The Citadel

Hope is indeed a worthless currency. Upon Dalni's volley, the Gremlins were so tightly packed that thousands died. Well, that what it looked like anyway. I mean, they shattered into thousands of tiny golden beads which seems like a decent indicator of dead to me...

Anyway. The Gremlins stop. At first it seems that the volley has attracted their attention, but then they all look straight past Dalni at the vault. A single war cry erupts from a million tiny lips, resounding around the entire Citadel and confusing the hell out of any passing spirits.

"JAAAACKPOTT!"

The tidal wave begins. A tsunami of grey squeaking things that sweeps towards the vault like a million minature kleptomaniac rhinos, making their very best attempt to barge through the opened doors into the gold reserves.

Oh, and all those minature beads? Watch your feet lads, it's slippery out there.

Spoiler
    Show
    New Thread Rollover! +7AP +3 bonus AP (lost next rollover)
    Solomon Yeager by the exceedingly talented The Architect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Steilos
    Class: Thief
    Promotes to: Ninja

Skills
    Vantage - Allows the character to post first in all threads.
    Insight - Allows the character to see threads at a greater distance.
    Ah, mon petit choux fleur.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

"And again! You decry me one moment, and then seek to turn my fair challenge into an opportunity to once more band together, many against one! And you speak to me of hypocrisy!" He turned his back to Will very deliberately, as if daring him to strike out, while facing the onrushing group of humans. "Very well then. I accept your terms!"

His movements seemed almost casual. There was no frantic haste, no rage in his strike, no matter how much his voice carried. Snatching a wide hooked punch, he sent an assailant staggering. An odd, shuffling kick unbalanced the fighter further, even as it brought Enki out of the path of a swing from another opponent. With a thunk, the first assailant hit the dirt... followed by a gruesome crack as the tiefling used his windpipe as a stepping stone to launch into a sharp blow to another foe's head.

It seemed that Enki's every movement was accompanied by the snapping of bones. He continued to speak, barely even breathing hard. "I know not what your people did to earn your place in these mud-holes. But it is the will of the Empress that you stay here, and the duty of a soldier to enforce that will!" Another assailant fell, body listless and neck snapped. "But never have I seen a single indication that you are anything but pathetic parasites!" A brutal slashing motion sent another human screaming to her knees, left eye horribly mangled. A second blow caved in her skull. "You speak of numbers? I come alone! You speak of weapons? I come unarmed! And still," he spoke as he ground the face of his final foe into the dirt, before ending his life as well with a blow to the spine, "...and still, you are nothing!"

Enki rose from his fighting crouch, shoulders rising and falling with his breathing. The grin was gone from his face. He raised a finger to Will, his tone no longer ablaze with passion but frozen with deadly seriousness. "And all I see in you is one more ape of a 'leader' who spouts off rhetoric while letting others die in his place. I wish I could kill you, human. I wish I could kill your whole sorry race. But I never strike down those who haven't chosen a fight of their own free will, so I guess I'll just have to leave you all with your cowardice. Meet your deaths in shame, worms."

Gritting his sharp teeth in a snarl, he began to stalk away, crowd parting to give the deadly man a wide berth. He had nearly made his way out of the fields when a sound caught his ears... his eyes widened in shock as his soldier instincts kicked in. Not even thinking about what he was doing, he grabbed the nearest body - a young girl of not even fourteen years - tackling her to the dirt and letting loose a shout.

"DOWN!"

With a deep boom, a pulse of chromatic energy ripped through the crowd of humans. Dozens died in that first blast. Shoving himself to his feet, wondering what in the Rot was going on, Enki was abruptly seized by a Crysteel fist and hurled away - after a painful bounce, he gathered his wits and froze as he saw what was happening.

The heavily-customized knightmare that had tossed him fired off a second round from the chroma-cannon, which proved much less successful than the first now that the crowd had begun to scatter. Raising its fist, it bellowed forth in authoritative tones, "Open fire on this gathering! They assaulted a Knight-Commander, in direct violation of non-violence mandates!"

"What... what!? Wait, Lord-Baron, no, that is..."

The heavy mech whipped about, leaving the crowd of disorganized humans to the three lighter models he had brought along as escorts. It lowered its volume to a speaking level, as Fredrik's icy tones washed over Enki. Even through the distortion of the speakers, the Baron's anger was evident. And his words were very... deliberate. "Knight-Commander. You were assaulted, unprovoked, by humans. It was fortunate that one of your aides was concerned enough about you to let me know you were out and about. Report to the Spire at once. I think we need to have a little chat about your... unorthodox... way of observing Vigil."

"...yes, Lord-Baron. At once."
    He set his jaw, turned and began the trek back to the tiefling fortress, doing his best to ignore the sounds of gunfire behind him... and the screams that followed them.

Homebrew:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Iurious The Void

After removing the curse on the land from Altora, the foul stuff moved far from the world into the void. Within minutes the stuff had found Iurious's hands. Iurious held the corruption as a globe in his hands, as he moved to dispose of it, Iurious saw something rather captivating in the world. As he contemplated what he saw, Iurious stopped concentrating on the globe. The substance fell apart in his hands, coating them. Iurious shook his hands, seeking to remove the foul substance, eventually he realized the folly of that. So into the substance he channeled divine will, transforming the stuff into a pair of gloves. Carefully Iurious peeled off the black, rubbery gloves and stored them, away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rollover +7 (+3 bonus AP)
    Create Bane Artifact +3 (-4, Used bonus AP), a pair of black gloves if I am mucking about with foul magic I want to keep my hands clean.

AP 3+7-4=6
    GP 5/21
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

27. - Top - End - #27

Kolmansk

The smiles within the room were loud, louder than any raucous laughter might be. Larissa Midna, Matriarch of the house, and her daughter, Pelscies, sat together, considering their fortunes. House Vinter seemed to be in decline, and Midna on the rise. Her daughter was even coming along rightly... The General's power was much reduced, after that terrible series of tragedies, what with his scouting parties almost all disappearing! She did have to admit, the baubles Pelscies had returned with were very pretty. Perhaps she should be sent back to get more. After all, it wouldn't do any good if no one else knew that House Midna had such pretty things, but they couldn't yet afford to stand out. Distribute some among friends, to be seen as generous... Yes, that sounded like a plan.

Planning was going on elsewhere within. This room was not so full of glee. No displays of weath or influence in this room. The walls and table in the center of the room were covered, instead, in maps; maps that showed the layout of all of the known desert, as well as points of human habitation. And along the west edge of the comprehensive map, an arcing red ring. The central figure in the melee around the table was Talmanes. The customary, skin-tight accoutrements of the Asherati were on him, but all the others in the room deferred to him, openly and otherwise. One of the smaller charts, spread atop the table, was where he focused right now. Part of the arc creased this chart as well. A long finger tapped at the arc. Silence reigned for some time, then an instrument came to his other hand, and he began to swiftly mark -- dots and arrows, moving in an odd dance, approaching that line, and a single one crossing over. When the instrument finally lay still, Talmanes straightened, looking around at his companions. His voice was quiet when he began to speak, and they all leaned in closely, that they might not miss a word. As he spoke, the hands moved across the marks, demonstrating his words.

In the end, he lost an argument, got his way in the scheme of things, and was given a minor concession for it all. It had to be enough.

Southern coast of the Old World

If there was anyone or anything watching, the events that follow would be... strange, to say the least. The fog was always out there moving, and that was the horizon. It didn't change. Except for now, it did. It started out as a point of darkness in the fog. As time passed, the point changed into a line. Hard to distinguish anything about it for still longer -- perhaps it was one of the vessels that ply the fogways. But as time passed, the line continued to grow, grow, and grow. It grew to take up the whole horizon, until features could be seen on the approaching... thing. Cliffs, and vast expanses of sand. And the expanse continued to grow, as the bank of fog between the two shrunk. Then the shaking began, in both lands.

As worlds collide...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"And again! You decry me one moment, and then seek to turn my fair challenge into an opportunity to once more band together, many against one! And you speak to me of hypocrisy!" He turned his back to Will very deliberately, as if daring him to strike out, while facing the onrushing group of humans. "Very well then. I accept your terms!"

His movements seemed almost casual. There was no frantic haste, no rage in his strike, no matter how much his voice carried. Snatching a wide hooked punch, he sent an assailant staggering. An odd, shuffling kick unbalanced the fighter further, even as it brought Enki out of the path of a swing from another opponent. With a thunk, the first assailant hit the dirt... followed by a gruesome crack as the tiefling used his windpipe as a stepping stone to launch into a sharp blow to another foe's head.

It seemed that Enki's every movement was accompanied by the snapping of bones. He continued to speak, barely even breathing hard. "I know not what your people did to earn your place in these mud-holes. But it is the will of the Empress that you stay here, and the duty of a soldier to enforce that will!" Another assailant fell, body listless and neck snapped. "But never have I seen a single indication that you are anything but pathetic parasites!" A brutal slashing motion sent another human screaming to her knees, left eye horribly mangled. A second blow caved in her skull. "You speak of numbers? I come alone! You speak of weapons? I come unarmed! And still," he spoke as he ground the face of his final foe into the dirt, before ending his life as well with a blow to the spine, "...and still, you are nothing!"

Enki rose from his fighting crouch, shoulders rising and falling with his breathing. The grin was gone from his face. He raised a finger to Will, his tone no longer ablaze with passion but frozen with deadly seriousness. "And all I see in you is one more ape of a 'leader' who spouts off rhetoric while letting others die in his place. I wish I could kill you, human. I wish I could kill your whole sorry race. But I never strike down those who haven't chosen a fight of their own free will, so I guess I'll just have to leave you all with your cowardice. Meet your deaths in shame, worms."

Gritting his sharp teeth in a snarl, he began to stalk away, crowd parting to give the deadly man a wide berth. He had nearly made his way out of the fields when a sound caught his ears... his eyes widened in shock as his soldier instincts kicked in. Not even thinking about what he was doing, he grabbed the nearest body - a young girl of not even fourteen years - tackling her to the dirt and letting loose a shout.

"DOWN!"

With a deep boom, a pulse of chromatic energy ripped through the crowd of humans. Dozens died in that first blast. Shoving himself to his feet, wondering what in the Rot was going on, Enki was abruptly seized by a Crysteel fist and hurled away - after a painful bounce, he gathered his wits and froze as he saw what was happening.

The heavily-customized knightmare that had tossed him fired off a second round from the chroma-cannon, which proved much less successful than the first now that the crowd had begun to scatter. Raising its fist, it bellowed forth in authoritative tones, "Open fire on this gathering! They assaulted a Knight-Commander, in direct violation of non-violence mandates!"

"What... what!? Wait, Lord-Baron, no, that is..."

The heavy mech whipped about, leaving the crowd of disorganized humans to the three lighter models he had brought along as escorts. It lowered its volume to a speaking level, as Fredrik's icy tones washed over Enki. Even through the distortion of the speakers, the Baron's anger was evident. And his words were very... deliberate. "Knight-Commander. You were assaulted, unprovoked, by humans. It was fortunate that one of your aides was concerned enough about you to let me know you were out and about. Report to the Spire at once. I think we need to have a little chat about your... unorthodox... way of observing Vigil."

"...yes, Lord-Baron. At once."
    He set his jaw, turned and began the trek back to the tiefling fortress, doing his best to ignore the sounds of gunfire behind him... and the screams that followed them.
    Wilzako - the Blood Memorial

Wilzako was horrified at what he saw. The tiefling downing those twelve without apparent effort confirmed why his people did not give them a "fair" fight in the uprising. Suicide was pointless. He cursed the twelve fools while at the same time honoring their conviction.

Then the world exploded. The military come out in full force, cannon blazing, murdering dozens in the first volley. 127 people died in all before those in the memorial managed to flee the area and blend in with the rest.

Twelve of them had assaulted the tiefling, only four of those that did had any sort of informal training in combat.

Of the 115 others who died, every last one of them was unarmed. 31 of the deaths were among those who had chosen to honor the deaths of the oppressors. 49 of those who were killed had at least one child in their homes, who now had to join the massed ranks of those who grew up without mothers. 35 children had been orphaned today, either due to their last living parent dying, or both having been out there honoring the dead. Seventeen children had been killed, five by soldiers with guns who had to look them in the face before doing so, or having shot them in the back while they ran terrified for their lives.

Wilzako was very careful to track down these numbers. He decided that the names and numbers of everyone who was killed for freedom was important. Today had changed him, as permanently and irrevocably as as the first cannon shot took away the lives of women and children, mothers and fathers. He no longer saw that humans could live with the tieflings, for the tiefling had no respect for the Children of the Spiral. They had imprisoned his ancestors in these cages, and why? For a crime committed by four humans. The Ear Tyrant, for he refused to use the proper name of the Empress, a habit he picked up from the Kappa. When he asked them why one day, they said because she is a silly goddess who takes herself too seriously.

Childhood memories aside, tonight marked the end of Wilzako the Speaker. By tomorrow morning, he would be reborn William Penkappa, Ronin of Freedom.

It began with a trip to the Spire. Wilzako took on the form of steam, a vapor nearly invisible, and, quiet as the fog, floated in through the door, creeping along the ceiling. He did not have to look long before he found the Baron's office, for he heard shouts coming from it. He paused just before the threshold, listening to the conversation inside.

29. - Top - End - #29

Enki, The Spire, Area 06

The Knight-Commander sat stiffly in his chair before the Baron's desk. His head hung. His hands clenched his kneecaps, sharp nails digging into the flesh there. Fredrik let him squirm a moment before speaking. "Knight-Commander Enki. You are, I presume, fully aware of what you did?"

"Yes, Lord-Baron. I am." He spoke through clenched teeth, forcing the words out.

The deceptively frail-looking Baron remained silent for a moment, before sliding open a hidden compartment in his desk. Very carefully and deliberately, he withdrew a high-power energy pistol. Enki inhaled slightly at seeing it, but quickly controlled his breathing once more. The Baron spoke again, his voice like a blade of ice. "You nearly incited a riot, Enki. You have grossly violated the law. As I am sure you know, the punishment for such a violation is death."

"I..."
    The knight took a deep breath, then raised his gaze to meet Fredrik's. His voice was steady and calm when he continued. "I accept whatever punishment you deem fitting, Lord-Baron."

"Knight-Commander Enki. Stand."
    The Baron took his own instruction, rising and pushing his own seat aside. Enki followed suit wordlessly. Fredrik picked up his gun, hefted it slightly - he'd always preferred pistols. So much more elegant than a bulky rifle. He raised the gun, placing it squarely against Enki's forehead. To his credit, the knight did not flinch or squirm - he merely closed his eyes. Fredrik waited a few moments, observing... then drew his gun back and whipped his subordinate across the face with a sickening crack.

Enki's eye's jolted open at the impact as his loose body was sent crashing to the floor. Even as he spat out several of his pointed teeth, trying to form words, he was sent skidding further along the crysteel floor by a savage kick. And another. The Baron was shouting, punctuating each sentence with a booted foot. "FOOL! IMBECILE! What did you hope to accomplish!? What idiocy possessed you!?"

He grabbed Enki by the throat, bodily dragging him back into his his seat. Fredrik remained standing, glowering down at the knight. It took him a few moments to recover from the pounding daze, but Enki managed to grit his teeth and speak. "My... honor demanded it. Or so I thought. But I let myself be guided by anger, and now there lie dead those who raised no fist of conflict. The depths of my shame know no bounds, Lord-Baron - I do not know why I am not dead, for I have justly earned that sentence."

"Hmm... you actually feel sorry for the worms?"
    Fredrik seemed genuinely surprised by the answer.

Enki started to shake his head, then winced, coughing up a small amount of blood. "No. But there... there is no honor is the death of civilians. Even if those civilians are humans worms. It is the sacred duty of a soldier to save life. It is because of that that we must show no mercy to those those who would force a battle! Please, Lord-Baron, why do I still breathe!? I am guilty!"

"I see... what a delightfully idiotic worldview. I had wondered for some time why someone of your skills never advanced past Knight-Commander. Now I understand."
    The commander of Area 06 folded his hands, taking a seat himself. "The only 'sacred duty' of a soldier, Knight-Commander, is to ensure that the will of the Empress is carried out. To that end, we must sometimes set aside such petty things as honor and justice. Hence why you still live."

"You are the finest swordsman I have ever seen. You are a tool, Knight-Commander, and an exceedingly useful one. I will not squander you. I have governed this city for five decades, and only once has it reeked so strongly of rebellion. The humans are up to something. If we allow another rebellion on the scale of the tragedy twenty years ago, it will be my head on the line. Last time I was lucky to merely lose the title of Duke, and Idra is not a man tolerant of repeated failure. Also, you will tell no-one of this conversation. That is an order."
    He gestured towards the door. "Best of wishes in recovering from the injuries dealt by those savage humans. Dismissed."

"...As you command, Lord-Baron."
    Enki struggled to his feet, wincing with every movement. He staggered towards the door, falling to his knees after a few steps. Fredrik simply watched. At last, after what felt like miles, the battered knight was able to use the door-frame to drag himself to his feet, opening it and exiting the office. Leaning heavily on the wall of the narrow hallway, he passed Will's hiding place unnoticed.

"C-commander!?" A voice echoed from down the hall, followed by the pounding of footsteps as a pair of soldiers raced to the knight's side. Wilzako would recognize the female as Olivia, even out of her combat gear. "Sir! you're hurt, oh, this is... this is..."

Her companion, another new recruit by his uniform, took the initiative, tossing one of Enki's arms over his shoulders and taking some of the man's weight. Olivia quickly followed suit, offering her own support despite mumbled, dazed protests by the knight-commander. She spoke, voice tinged with indignation. "I can't believe that the Baron would keep you walking around like this! You need the infirmary, like, now! Come on sir, everything is gonna be all right."

In a few moments, the hall was empty once more. And the Baron was alone.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Actions!~

AP 8
    Bonus AP 3 - 1 (Raise Hero - Baron Fredrik)

Final AP: 8
    Final Bonus AP: 2
    GP: 0/24

Homebrew:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The Spire - Area 06

Wilzako seeped through the top of the doorway as the knight-commander stumbled out. He re-formed directly behind the Baron, and said. "I want to know why. Why did you kill those today whose only crime was witnessing death?"