New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Lords of Creation: In Character #2

Westin, The Bird of Hermes, Teppelin

"Hmm. Lloyd, are you? Well met, good meeting. Can't say pleasant meeting yet, since the meeting's only started, but the start is good. Yes. Call me Westin. Or Dr. Westin. Not Mr. Westin, inaccurate, imprecise, terribly insulting - I'll let it slide though. Kids these days, never reading their books." He scowled and muttered something unintelligible before continuing. His speech was clipped, smashed together, as if stumbling along in the wake of his thoughts and given verbalization only as an afterthought.

"Hmm. Yes. Go ahead, laugh. Better an honest laugh than a dishonest smile and nod. Not a lie, but not the truth either. I'll have you know though that I'm not mad -hmm, no, well, perhaps. But you need some mad with your science - otherwise you're hardly a scientist at all! Wouldn't be where I am now, if I wasn't a little mad. You should know that - whippersnapper, thinking you know your history. Who do you think invented Ragnaid, hmm? Yes, me. Had a colleague, said it wouldn't work - you know were he is now? No. Exactly. Galia Pharmaceutical has come a long way since then. Always by being a little madder than the competition." The mention of ragnaid - the little blue-green crysteel parcel used for physical trauma management in practically every hospital in Teppelin - would strike a chord with anyone with even a modicum of biology studies.

"Hmm. So, where to begin. What to begin with, you mean, don't you. Not where. Colloquialism, acceptable, inaccurate even so. Literally answered, here. Answered in spirit, a good thing to begin with is an answer of your own. In the spirit of this little discussion, what do you consider sane, Lloyd? You don't know what's sane of course. I don't know either, mind you. Nobody knows what sane is, possibly because none of us are. But you can tell a lot about a man by what he think is sane."
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Shanefyer-The Void
    Shanefyer the Tale-Teller is travelling through the void, watching as great acts are performed on the worlds below.
    "Ooh...that one'll make a good one...better write this down..."
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Wallace and The Gnomes - Over the Citadel - Trade Secrets

"Well! That should be great!" The Captain replied, smiling emphatically. The Citadel was a vampire of its own- demanding untold sums of metal. He had not been privy as to what they were doing with so much of it, but there had been...rumors. Interesting ones, at that.

When the rest of the Gargoyles went flying off, right towards the Citadel proper, Hedto couldn't help but shout futilely as he ran to the wheel. The ship began to turn as its wings, extended for long flights, abruptly shifted on the air currents.

"Hey! Hey, wait! What're you doing? Where are you going?!" He shouted, rambling off the questions as he pawed at the wheel. Down below, along the Citadel walls, orderly formations of Legion Musketeers, engineers, researchers, cannon operators, and more than a few scientists were hard at work. Carts, loaded with precious supplies, raced across tracks as large conducting rods were erected. The winter snow had made the Citadel a rather chilly place to be at the moment, but freezing weather couldn't keep them down. Fires had been set up in non-military zones, to keep workers warm as they poured concrete and inserted lengths of rebar into new fortifications.

Elsewhere, electric lanterns kept fur-clad soldiers on patrol almost sweatingly warm. Firing drills peppered straw targets with shot, as the Gnomes prepared to defend their home. Not all was military, of course, however. Why, as the Gargoyles flew overhead, more than a few off-duty Gnomes had taken to making what could best be described as a mini-Citadel made of bricks of snow.

Children skated along frozen aqueducts of water, originally intended to keep a much less advanced age of laborer watered and supplied. Couples, both young and old, enjoyed windowed views from the upper levels of the Citadel, watching the distant landscape from behind the protection of their fellows. It was a friendly sight, when one scraped away the military barding, to know that the Gnomes still had a culture beyond the barrel of their rifle.

Even the Vampires couldn't break that.

Wing Adepts - The Skies, Low over the Citadel - A New People

The wing adepts, with Wallace at the front, sailed over the city. They peeked at the musketeers, enjoying the smell of the smoke that erupted from the barrels. How fragrant. It took a little while before they made the connection to the targets.

They saw the children playing, and remembered their childhoods, pestering one another with balls of gravel. The snow that now fell was rather frustrating, the wetness not sitting well on their skin. They continued to fly.

Gargoyles and Gnomes - The Foothills of the Mountains - New Friends

A short while later, the first gnomish merchants began to roll towards Butron. The cliff faces would have been very difficult for any gnomish carriage to traverse, but they would not need to. An obsidian Gargoyless had founded a new trade town at the base of the mountains in preparations for the incoming traders. With a large town hall of quartz, and a large number of stone shops ready for rent from an interested merchant, the city was looking almost deserted, but that would change soon. Thoria, had been founded.

Spoiler
    Show

Create Society (Thoria: Combined Gargoyles and Gnomes)-Free from Organized

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonOfUndeath View Post
    Vampires & Gargoyles

A trio of Vampires stood on Gargoyle land. They were Sergav Sixth-born, a Psion
    Germid Third-born, a Diplomat
    Fertij Tenth-born, a Skin-mancer

They waited for a Gargoyle to approach knowing it would be the most respectful way of doing business.

The uneven terrain was difficult for most to traverse, but a vampires easy jumping made motion manageable, if unstable as they bounded from surface to surface trying to find one that actually was level enough to stand on. Eventually they came close enough that they were noticed by a couple from the explorers guild, a pair of married cavern crawlers.

The sight of these new creatures was very strange to them, having never had anything else come close until the recent gnomish arrival. The female, used to needing to be assertive in a male dominant organization, spoke first.

"Hello, My name is Hanna, and this is Joshua. Welcome. Who are you and what brings you to these mountains?"
    "The wise prince will find means by which his followers will always, and in all instances, have need of him. Then, they will always be loyal to him."
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vampires&Gargoyles

"Greetings, I am Germid Third-born. We have come introduce ourselves and to ask you for help. I am a Vampire, I represent the entire Vampiric community. If you have any questions you would like to ask please don't refrain from asking them. Though I would have preferred to have this first meeting without talk of war or other unsavory things, unfortunately it must be done. You see there is a country ruled by beings called Tieflings that have wrongfully captured and imprisoned an entire race called Humans, the Humans are currently in the process of escaping and fighting the Tieflings for their freedom. The Vampires and our allies the Forsaken, the Skeletons and the Zombies are attempting to aid the Humans. The Tieflings are very advanced technologically. About an hour ago they sent some type of energy weapon through the Forsaken army killing hundreds and disabling their flying machines. This was before they had done anything except mobilize forces. Fortunately we are led to believe they can't do that often and with your help we can bring these Tieflings to justice and free the Humans with minimal bloodshed."
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Citadel

It was like working through a large, clanging, quite often dangerous maze, traveling through the Citadel. He knew the direction he needed to go, but not how to get there. So, his feet continued onwards, going at angles to the pull, passing by still more wonders -- a dozen workshops, vast halls, and a number of buildings he didn't even want to guess at the purpose of. Still he walked onwards, passing upwards, until the hustle and bustle ceased to fill his ears. Parts of the Citadel, levels that weren't being currently used, workshops that had been long since abandoned. Corners turned and turned, and the feeling grew closer. He heard rumblings far off, on occasion, loud bangs ringing his ears from time to time.
    The next corner he turned found him in front of what was once a very large building -- it seemed to have a number of structural problems now, but there were voices and other noises coming from inside. He pushed the door open gently, and stepped inside to find his new residence.
    Somehow, the door was pushed shut, tearing it out of his hands, as several heads swiveled to look at him. Several gnomes sat around a blazing fire that burned no fuel he could see, others stood facing each other off to the side. One was operating some sort of large machine as he passed an item over it repeatedly. And yet, despite all this activity, it seemed less chaotic, more organized than of the rest of the Citadel. He smiled and bowed before he stepped forward again, forward to learn.

Deep Desert

It was a fortunate thing that this meeting was more courteous and friendly than the last. The day was hot, and a small party of Mteule were trekking the sands, determined to make it to Eloha Rocks by the next light. Their feet dragged in the faint notpattern of the desert walk, and they kept lips quiet, the better to hear danger coming, and to save energy and water. That was why the strains of a plucked string was heard. After a few moments of indecision, they angled towards the sound -- a Bearer was still welcome among them, and they would make the trail shorter, not to mention more pleasant. Two crests later, and the player could be seen, seated on a large rock in a reg, harp in front of them, swaying as they played. Slipping and sliding down the back of the dune, they approached, still listening. The performer showed no sign of acknowledging them, playing without a look. The sun beat down overhead as they swayed... As the last, lonesome and emotional notes floated through the air, the watching party clapped hands in appreciation.
    Up in the air, the harpist shot, arms clutching the instrument to... its chest. It turned as it came down, and the face that stared back was most certainly not human. Eyes went wide, and it darted off the rock that it was on, heading for the sand. The Mteule, more than a little surprised for their own part, stepped back, hands raised up. It reached a patch of bare sand, and began to sink beneath, glancing back at them once more. The Mteule still stood, watching it. It stopped sinking, and the two parties just looked at each other. No motion made, eyes locked, the creature's instrument clutched still close.

The voice that caught the air was not a trained voice, certainly not that of a Bearer. Still, many Mteule had grown up with retelling stories and singing around the tents as the Eye brightened, and this one could put forth the words and the cadence of an old song, a song of greeting and meeting. First one voice, then two, then four. The creature watched them intently, still partly buried. Slowly, it began to release the grip on the instrument, adjusting the strings and then flickering fingers, producing a low melody that wove in and out of the words, then followed them, then supported them. It rose to the top and came down with the voices, and when the words trailed off into the desert, the music with it, it stood and smiled. Then, hesitantly, it stepped upwards, out of the sand, and towards the Mteule. It would take a while longer than they thought to reach Eloha; they reached for the temporary shelters, for them and their new friend.

6. - Top - End - #276

Avatar of Bacsphaal, the First Battle

As the crimson laser of death wrapped around him, the Lord of Want simply grinned. Finally, he turned back to Evanzar. "Me? A Horseman? Not quite."

There was a collapsing of space around the staff he held in his hands as he cast it behind him, filling it with a vortex of burning hate. Then for a few seconds, everything went dark. No light, nothing. The entire battlefield was, for a few seconds, completely void of all light.

Then with an explosion that defied the senses the Tiefling fleet was engulfed in a mind-buggeringly huge column of flame that incinerated all who the Lord of Want did not consider allies. Crysteel was a strong armour, and the magical barriers of the Tiefling mages were mighty. But they weren't gods.

Barring divine intervention from Teppelin, or some very fast maneuvering, their doom was sealed. This had the side effect of letting Tyrr focus on the Warmech.

"That, lad, was what the pyrotechnics of a god look like. You can call me Bacsphaal."

Bacsphaal, Pyrokus

"I...see." He runs his hand over the Warrior Matrix. "Say... Do you think we could repurpose this? We need a base of operations, and with a bit of reworking..." he taps the machine a few times, "This could most certainly fit the bill."

Bacsphaal, Some Time Earlier, The Drought

Bacsphaal stepped out of seemingly nowhere before Marcus, stopping to analyse the dwarf with a critical look. "Say... You're the son of that merchant-prince, right?"

A cage sprang up next to Bacsphaal with - if only it wasn't Marcus' father! It is gone as soon as it appears, rising up into the ceiling. "That one, yes? How did you get here, and more importantly, how did you become a god?"

Spoiler
    Show

Curse(BURN MY PRETTIES BURN AHAHAHAHAHA-ahem, what I meant was huge lethal explosion of doomfire hitting as many tiefling ships as possible):1 AP (1ap for MR 1 Curse, with 1 free Plaguebringer MR and 3 free Artifact MR for a total of 5 MR)
    Remaining AP: 1/21
    GP:13/21
    Last edited by Steilos; 2011-01-25 at 06:36 PM.
    Solomon Yeager by the exceedingly talented The Architect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Steilos
    Class: Thief
    Promotes to: Ninja

Skills
    Vantage - Allows the character to post first in all threads.
    Insight - Allows the character to see threads at a greater distance.
    Ah, mon petit choux fleur.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277

Kali, Hespa, and Tel'Radai

Spoiler
    Show
    Kali nodded to Hespa, "I find all of this agreeable- though I am not one to directly meddle, I can at least set up the triggers that will lead to a more nature-friendly approach to the forests. If you wouldn't mind introducing the plant, I'm sure that could very well 'seal the deal' as it were."

He opened his tome, mirroring the book in the Citadel below. An artifact meant to influence the mortals below. A quill materialized in his hand, quickly scribbling into the tome.

"As per my own part of the agreement, here are the, ah, influences to make the Gnomes a bit easier to stomach. I cannot promise instant results- but they factor into my plan for the Gnomes well enough."

Hespa twirled in a circle before smiling and saying "Well Kali, one such plant already exists. I'm sure that if the gnomes tried talking to the ironbark treants that they would find useful allies. The treants posses minor powers to control most of my other creations and would likely be able to protect any logging party that they were traveling with from the beetles. In the future, if the gnomes are unable to come to an arrangement with the various independent treants, I suppose I could create a non-sentient plant to aid them. All the hard work of filling these forest with defenders has left me weary though, so for the time being I hope that the treants will be able to assist with your resource management issues."

Spoiler
    Show
    Tel'Radai

"Reborn, but lesser than a god, if still worthy of worship. That is Llymic, who was once Saeric, who now rests in the cold places of the material world, where you may not go, I am afraid. The winter spreads as his wounds heal and his sleep comes to an end. But the winter is a promise of the long past, and it must run its full course before any will end it."

Hespa then twirled back towards mirror Hespa and asked "Are any of the gods truly worthy of worship? You asked of the Earpocolypse. According to the whispers I heard as a seedling that was the time when the Elder Gods released flame and metal upon the world, and the land of the Listening Goddess who was called Ear was largely destroyed. In the time that followed only the god of death helped restore life to the shattered world, the rest simply ignored the event or perpetrated vengeance killings. If the whispers were correct it was a very odd time. Can a god still commune with this fallen Llymic, or does his material for prevent this?"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Tel'Radai, Hespa

"Her name is Teikoku, she was the creator of life. And the cataclysm that swept the world was as much her fault as it was the fault of her brother, Mondo, as it was the fault of her brother, Sozuchi. And it was also the fault of the great makers, Terran, who fed his sister's outrage, Julien who descended into his debauchery and the mirror lord himself who watched amused. And it was also the fault of the smaller gods who took sides in that conflict and added to the death tool, and do so to this day. And it was the fault of the four mortals who did what they did, and all their kin who are punished to this day for it. And all other mortals who lost their close ones to the flames. And of the immortals in their high abodes who watched the chaos with entertainment. And it is the fault of the deities and mortals and immortals who followed, who would derive all the wrong conclusions from the event."

"Most of all, it is the fault of those who point fingers and give excuses and rationalizations when fingers are pointed at them, instead of silently and elegantly accepting their shame."

All the time Tel'Radai spoke, visions of the cataclysm as witnessed by him and his immortal kin, the nerra, blanketed the surroundings, a magnificent display of illusions, with all the heat and all the tearing shards of metal of the event as it was.

But Hespa is a goddess. What threat do the true illusions of a Hal'Xaazen Deceiver pose to a deity.

"And to this day the aftermath of that event haunt us all in our own particular ways, still the gods are worth of worship, for they are the makers of everything, and for that we must be grateful and humble. Even the small gods who came afterwards, must be humble before their divine ancestors."

The image of the mirror lord looms massive and terrible behind Tel'radai, before all the illusions vanish.

"As for Llymic, I am afraid not. The gods can see, hear and speak to their dead kin as easily as mortals can theirs without the aid of magic, and no magic of the gods can reach their fallen..."

"But we can be patient while he awakens, Mistress, we have all the time in the existance."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post

"Hmm. Lloyd, are you? Well met, good meeting. Can't say pleasant meeting yet, since the meeting's only started, but the start is good. Yes. Call me Westin. Or Dr. Westin. Not Mr. Westin, inaccurate, imprecise, terribly insulting - I'll let it slide though. Kids these days, never reading their books." He scowled and muttered something unintelligible before continuing. His speech was clipped, smashed together, as if stumbling along in the wake of his thoughts and given verbalization only as an afterthought.

"Hmm. Yes. Go ahead, laugh. Better an honest laugh than a dishonest smile and nod. Not a lie, but not the truth either. I'll have you know though that I'm not mad -hmm, no, well, perhaps. But you need some mad with your science - otherwise you're hardly a scientist at all! Wouldn't be where I am now, if I wasn't a little mad. You should know that - whippersnapper, thinking you know your history. Who do you think invented Ragnaid, hmm? Yes, me. Had a colleague, said it wouldn't work - you know were he is now? No. Exactly. Galia Pharmaceutical has come a long way since then. Always by being a little madder than the competition." The mention of ragnaid - the little blue-green crysteel parcel used for physical trauma management in practically every hospital in Teppelin - would strike a chord with anyone with even a modicum of biology studies.

"Hmm. So, where to begin. What to begin with, you mean, don't you. Not where. Colloquialism, acceptable, inaccurate even so. Literally answered, here. Answered in spirit, a good thing to begin with is an answer of your own. In the spirit of this little discussion, what do you consider sane, Lloyd? You don't know what's sane of course. I don't know either, mind you. Nobody knows what sane is, possibly because none of us are. But you can tell a lot about a man by what he think is sane."
    The Bird of Hermes, Teppelin

"What is sanity, you say?"
    Lloyd takes a moment to consider- perhaps longer than the question truly warrants, from the mouth of a person like Westin.
    "Sanity is reason. Therefore, the opposite of sanity is the lack of reason. No, I should refine that. The opposite of sanity is the lack of reasons. I am not insane because I have reasons I understand for doing what I do. Not necessarily logical ones, but ones I understand. "
    Lloyd half-smiles and shrugs.
    "Insanity occurs when an action or its reasons are not understood. If I were to experience a sudden, irrational fear of spiders that caused me to flee the room whenever I saw one, then I would be insane, because I would not understand my own actions. I would cease to act with reason.

However, if I then found out that that fear was somehow implanted in me - say, I had a traumatic experience involving a tarantula when I was younger - then I could understand my actions and be sane again.

Is that a good enough definition for you, Doctor?"
    Last edited by Lagren; 2011-01-25 at 10:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steilos View Post
    Bacsphaal, Pyrokus

"I...see." He runs his hand over the Warrior Matrix. "Say... Do you think we could repurpose this? We need a base of operations, and with a bit of reworking..." he taps the machine a few times, "This could most certainly fit the bill."
    Josiah, Pyrokus

With an infusion of power I could reshape it to serve almost any purpose.

Spoiler
    Show
    In OOC speak, all I need is new gods attached and I can make it mortal, scaping, whatever we need.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Lost and Found

"I think the second type of dragon would be of more interest to me, They seem more akin to me than the first. I hope they find me worthy of the knowledge required to subjugate the Kami. I would like it much if you directed me to one of these dragons wise enough to teach me."

Dripio Teppelin

They were moving out, ten years and it was finally time to do what they were made form, make the world a better place. Some were meant to fix the world through examples, others through manipulation and diplomacy, still others were meant to bash heads together until people were no longer stupid. Dripio and the dragons were a bit of all three. It would be a lot harder now. After the Tieflings had gone "Dance worms who can kill us all, bang bang bang." Hopefully, the four hundred dragons would be able to make peace with the humans. By setting examples, mind controlling some leaders, and crushing the right heads. The dragons took off, flying to the bastions where the revolution was still underground.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lords of the Horseman...And Quarland: Pyrokus

<Then by all means let us infuse our energy into this machine. Let us bring it back to it's former glory and beyond.> Immortas stutter-teleports reappearing with his hand touching the contraption's needle-point and sending his Divine Essence gushing into it's dry pipes.
    <By the way Quarland, our 4th Lord has disappeared. Would you care to step up to the War position? Or create one of your own.>

Dracula's Army

Dracula, carrying Immot and Jos, got word from the front of the group that the Bastion had been spotted. He called a halt and put Immot and Jos on the ground before bounding to the front of the army in a leap. After conversing with the 6 Masters for a second he approached the Bastion and called "Attention Humans: We have come to free you from this prison and throw down your captors. We are the Vampires, Zombies and Skeletons of AXIS. Do not fear us or attack us. Do not attack the Tieflings until we have breached the walls.
    Attention Tieflings: Your days of holding these people are over! We give you this chance to surrender before we start liberating the Humans by force. If you refuse to surrender, your lives are forfeit. You have 5 minutes to shoot a red flare into the air for Surrender or Green for refusal. If you do not shoot a flare, we will assume you refuse."
    call me Dragon

13. - Top - End - #283

"Hmm. A good definition? As good as any. What it is is a practical definition. Rather cold, but very smart - reasonable, you might say. Very sane. Something to ponder though - what if the reason is simply 'just because', hmm?" The old man gave a dry chuckle, shaking his head.

"But enough philosophy. I came to hear wonders. And see wonders too, since one can hardly simply trust word-of-mouth, can they? I've seen many things so far. I might call some of them wonders, but not the sort that need my funding, hmm?" Westin rose from his seat, producing a sturdy cane from seemingly nowhere. He didn't need it of course, but it looked rather stylish.

"Hmm, yes. First thing I see is this fine ship. Very nice. Very... large. Destroyer-Class. Hmm, but with some oddities - no destroyers were ever built in our shipyards matching the exact specifications of this one. Checked myself. Very strange, very fishy. Where did you get one of Teppelin's destroyers, if not from us? That smacks of friends in high places - high enough to build it somewhere else, or high enough to make it seem like it was never built at all. Very nice - friends like that, speaks wonders for your credibility. Alternatively, speaks wonders for you ability to dupe people into supporting you. Both possible."

"Very much, very informative. You, even more informative. Very smart, very sane, very rational. Also, very ambitious - you do not convert a fishy destroyer to make soup and sandwiches. Unless the soup is amazing. Perhaps. But no, irrelevant. The real question is - how ambitious are you? You can be too ambitious, hmm, yes, but it is far too much more common to be not ambitious enough."

He turned to Cecile, giving her an appraising look, like an employer about to hire a mercenary. "And I see this. Very nice girl. Clever girl. Also, very pretty girl. That first one is pleasant, the second one excellent, the last one meaningless, if you'll beg my pardon. Clever thing, science. Always a trade-off. Meaningless things don't last long, certainly. Better to put something better in their place." The man looked back to Lloyd, nodding sagely.

"Consider that my request. Take this girl, and improve her to the best of your ability. Better. Best. Proof-of-concept. Also, proof-of-dedication. Leaving improvement undefined - by design. Want to see what you do. Bigger? Tougher? Broodmother? Warrior? All? Nothing at all is nothing done. More done is better, but not without purpose, hmm?"

"Wheels turning in your head, Dr. Lloyd? Show me what you can do. If what you can do is impressive, hmm, yes, then you shall have all the funds you could ask for and then some - and all the respectability Galia can give your fishy destroyer. Hardly mad, by your definition. Reasons, good reasons. You'd be mad not to."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: To everyone not replied to, I'm going to bed because it's late. Sorry. Will reply tomorrow. Battle scenes take time to write.

Homebrew:

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
    Unelma: The Dreaming - The Dreams of Gods and Mortals

Saguro:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Replying to Saguro via the fabric of dream, "I agree. Perhaps we should consider making contact with other deities also ... if only to ascertain the extent of their involvement with the mortal situation as it might affect the dreaming."

The lady in white responds, almost absent-mindedly - as if part of her attention is somewhere else, "You have braved the Dreaming, e'en to the very heart of it. A touch of foolhardiness and a fair serving of courage. You are also the first." she pauses a moment to let this sink in.

"Thus for your courage, and for sheer chance and providence, you will have your chance. I hereby grant this boon: you and those of your ilk, Foolamancers, Thinkamancers and Mathamancers may travel the dream, even unto the realm of dreams, the Dreaming itself."

"In exchange, I lay upon thee and thine this duty: should the Dreaming ever be endangered, you will all come at our call to protect and defend it."

"I also caution thee, neither I nor my brother grant any protections alongside this boon and the Dreaming can be ... dangerous. Walk it with care."

The lady in white then looks at Troy, subjecting him to a detailed scrutiny, before nodding once to herself, "There is one more thing ... there must be one who can shoulder the duty I have laid upon you, one with the ability and the power to lead and govern thy ilk, and one who will watch over them. For this task I choose you Troy Unelmoija."

As she finishes speaking a palpable cloud of dreams envelops Troy, and for an instant, a very long instant, he is subjected to something utterly indescribable, and the the cloud of dreams is gone. Troy, now Troy Unelmoija looks around the hall with eyes that see more than mere mortal eyes can perceive, and stunned he can do little but raise from his knees where he had collapsed and with a gesture of utmost respect to the lady in white, he and his erstwhile companion depart.

Spoiler
    Show
    Foolamancers, Mathamancers, and Thinkamancers are hereby granted the right to walk the realm of dreams.
    In return they too must defend the Dreaming should they be called.

AP 0: 0-0 (Raise Exarch - Troy Unelmoija: Free from Mythic)
    Raised from Troy the Eag'Chept with permission from planswalker.

AP: 0
    GP: 0/15
    Divine rank: 2

[Divine intervention: 1 BAP/week for unaugmented bless/curse (Avatar)]
    [Mythic: Free Raise Hero/Exarch 1/week]
    [Pouch of dreams: Free MR4 Bless 1/week]
    The Dreaming - Adventure beyond your wildest DREAMS!

The dreamwalkers among the Forsaken and the Chept were glad to know that the ones who ruled the Dreaming were tolerant of their presence. The more adventurous among them would explore the Dreaming to their hearts' content.

Most of them, though, met together in their dreams and little changed in their habits.

Almost none of them bothered to discuss this change in their dreams with their families, considering this to be inconsequential. It was just dreams, after all. Although it was useful to be able to compare notes with the dark-skinned ones, the Chept mostly didn't give that much weight to their lucid dreams. Their preparations for war were far more important.

Hakan, The Ultimatum, Area 11

"A contest? You sure about that, gramps? Well then..." Kakumei, huddled up in a ball to fit in the small restroom, unfurled itself. In doing so, punching cleanly through the ceiling. "Up and out!" Rubble falling everywhere, the ganman jumped upwards, using the decks of individual floors of the massive ship as an odd sort of ladder. "Good luck, Dream-Geezer!"

With a crash, and debris falling dramatically from its shoulders, Hakan's mech finally planted its feet on the deck of the ship. By now alarms were sounding all throughout the Ultimatum as the presence of intruders was 'detected'. Bay doors opened, and the first of the ship's point defense knightmares streamed out, weapons at the ready.

Hakan grinned.
    William - the Ultimatum - Area 11 - Fighting to the Core

William laughed as his new comrade blasted his way through the ceiling and made an enormous distraction on the deck of the ship.

William would head below and seek the energy core of the ship, where the raw arcane energies that powered the ship were generated. He knew the basic layout of battleships from memory, a piece of information that he considered critical intelligence and thus applied himself to memorizing the original schematics of the Fist. Assuming Ear was as regular as always, chances are this ship would have all its critical functions in the same places. The outside of the ship, at least, had looked the same.

Taking the form of mist, William departed and began to travel in the direction that the power core would be on the Fist. He stuck to major thoroughfares, not trusting the designers to have made all the side-passages the same.

In the chaos and confusion of the battle, he managed to make it almost two-thirds the way there before tiefling security realized there was a second intruder on board.

Then the fun part began. William mostly relied on ice lances he conjured up to disable the security personnel that tried to engage him. The Knightmares, he disabled with a short-range pulse from his shield, and warped the properties of the crysteel of the Knightmare's legs to bind to flat surfaces rather than respond to the controls. It was a silly little trick, one a mage who knew how he did it could undo easily enough. However, the soldiers that usually piloted those mecha would be stuck for a while, and their machines would serve to block the passages behind him to slow down pursuit.

At one point, a pair of Knightmares blocked his way, and they had equipped their mechs with long, crysteel polearms whose tips burned through almost anything. They managed to keep him far enough out of reach that he couldn't afford to blow the energy it would take to disable them from that distance. He had to save most of his shield's charge for the power core.

Thus, he raised his right hand, chain wrapped around his fist, concentrated for a moment while both Knightmares were recovering from a swing, and the chain began to glow a sickly green color.

Spoiler
    Show
    Steilos, if you have a different color preference for the chain, let me know and I'll edit that.

At first, nothing seemed to happen. Then, all at once, the two mechs turned on each other. Both so consumed with greed and the desire to be the only one given credit for killing the Penkappa that they turned on each other. Will deftly darted forward, and disabled both in a single blast. Instead of fusing these two's legs to the floor, he instead fused their mecha's fists into the other's body where he had been frozen mid-punch. It would be far more involved separating those two to clear the hall.

A few more disabled mechs later, William approached the doors to the Power Core. He gathered his energies, for there would be mages within, for it took a team of mages to keep a core of that magnitude properly supplying the ship with power.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

15. - Top - End - #285

Hedto, seeing the Gargoyles soar much faster than the airship, simply relented, redirecting the vessel as the Flag Waver gave the gestures for all-clear. They were vaguely homoerotic, but Flag Waving never was much of a language anyways.

For the Gargoyles, soaring over the flying buttresses and plateaus of the Citadel? It was a world of freedom. The Gnomes, recognizing the Gargoyles as anything but their dreaded foes, were rather content with letting them soar about. After all, they weren't actually hurting anyone, and more than a few of the children were rather amused by the sight of something flying overhead. Skating along the handful of ice rinks, a few couples chose to imitate the flightpath of the Gargoyles...right into snowbanks.

The wetness of the snow ended, however, in a localized area along one of the plateaus of the Citadel's upper portion. Thick clouds of black and brown smoke were being pumped out by over a full score of smokestacks, each one as wide as two Gargoyles flying side-by-size. Four large steel rails were suspended from in front of a large iron blast door, over thirty meters wide. They swung around in a brief curve, heading into another set of blast doors over two kilometers below that one.

As the Gargoyles sailed by the blast doors opened, several beaker-shaped tubes of stone slowly sliding down the rails. The molten iron inside bubbled in the chill air, snowflakes landing in the mix hissing away.

The Gnomes obviously wanted their iron for some reason.

Gargoyles and Gnomes - The Foothills of the Mountains - Thoria And Trade

The first of the Gnomish traders was a rather chubby sort. Not quite fat, but certainly hefty enough for the rosy cheeks he had even when warm, Jebnor was one of several workshop suppliers that had decided to check out these Gargoyles. Back in the Citadel, metals fetched a high price, especially considering the recent complications in the countryside.

Dressed in a suit of spun cotton, the Gnome had walked with the assistance of a cane ever since a workshop accident involving trying to integrate the rotary cannon concept to rifles. He had kept the cogwheel that did it on a thin chain around his neck.

Behind him, Gnomish craftsmen (and women) of every kind rode on every sort of transport imaginable. From steam-driven tractors to horseback, all the way to six-person bicycles (Since everyone in the family had to pitch in), all sorts of Gnomes were traveling to this new city. Gnomish watchmen, as well as Legionaries, had joined them in this exodus. Where there were Gnomes, there had to be law. Inspectors had followed in their wake like cockroaches, to ensure that the workshops that would inevitably spring up to so close a source of iron would follow the damn rules.

It would be up to the Gargoyles, who had made this trade city, to decide whether or not Gnomish laws applied here. Whatever their decision, the Gnomes had brought plenty to trade for the precious metal the Gargoyles offered. Trinkets were the mainstay of their gods: Wooden nutcrackers, chandeliers made of colored glass, paintings of famous events in Gnomish history, the offer of paintings, mugs, toy forges, rickshaws, the aforementioned bicycles, lockets, safes, foodstuffs, cotton, furs. The list went on and on- as though the Citadel were a vault, and the Gargoyles had been the first people to actually figure out how to open the door.

But it wasn't all junk: A savvy buyer, or just someone who was very peculiar, could find real valuables amongst the minor items. Flintlock pistols, cut-down carbines, even a handful of the newer rifles that had the actual, legitimate rifling. Steam engines, fixed up and saved from being melted down, were also available for sale. A few designs for old ships had even surfaced. Barter was more than acceptable in these markets, though the Gnomes had brought along a hefty supply of denarii not only for trade amongst themselves, but should the Gargoyles show interest in the idea as well.

Human in the Citadel: Learning Is Fun For Everyone! (And other such childhood lies rhymes)
    The small home was part of what had once been the headquarters of the now-defunct Mento-Masters workshop. MM's once-brilliant sign had decayed with age, one of the letters having come loose so as to look like an awkward "E". Inside of it, the handful of remaining workers- those not gobbled up by the other workshops- now lived rather simple lives.

Though things were starting to look up under the new management.

The handful of workers weren't dressed in the most upbeat of clothes, but with the winter air that perforated even the Citadel's interior, not too many people could afford suits and ties. They were wearing the heavy wool sweaters for this reason, with blankets thrown on top. The fire continued to blaze, though there was neither gas line nor electrical wire leading to it.

Which meant, by all the rules of nature known to the Citadel, that it should not have existed in the first place.

The Gnomes still crowded around it, though, and one of them was currently stoking the flames a bit with a length of iron rebar, though there were no embers to be seen. Upon the human's entry, they turned their heads, the one with his back turned to the door revealed to be holding a six-string guitar. They said nothing as the guitar-carrier simply tuned the instrument.

Facing towards the opposite wall, the Gnome standing over the machine- the one holding what looked to be an oversized pair of tweezers- was muttering to himself. He smelled vaguely of fish, in a rather 'nature gone au natural' sort of way. The fact that his clothes seemed to have fish skin built into it was just another fact.

"Read left to right, then reset back to the next line, but reset just doesn't translate right. Reset is reset- it just goes back to the..."

The sound of the door being forced open didn't draw the Gnome's attention away from his project. The machine seemed to be a rather oblong bronze sphere in shape, with a flat bottom laying evenly on the floor. The top of it was opened, a square hatch having been opened to reveal contents only the Gnome could see for now.

"If you're here with the meal, Duva, please be a dear and set it on the fire. I've almost got this worked out."

Kali smiled at Hespa's explanation, "Ascension fatigue. I had the same high rush through my veins when I first ascended. You feel like you can take on the world- then all the power starts running low. It's a precarious position, retaining enough strength to remain effective when needed, but not so much that you seem overloaded."

He closed his tome, letting it rest at his side once more, "As for the Gnomes, I made them bright enough- I'm certain they'll be able to figure things out for themselves when the time comes. Though I'd like to mention it's not precisely my own resource management issues- while I do have larger-scale plans for the Gnomes as a species, their immediate future does not bear any real significance to the outcome of those plans. The resource conundrum was simply a complication I had not foreseen."

He smiled again, "How goes the world creation, by the way? It seems there is quite a bit left undone at the moment."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

The Void - Saguro

Leaving The Dreaming, Saguro instantly merged with the darkness of The Void. He didn't feel so comfortable outside his realm, but he had the strongest feeling, that it would be impolite not to meet the old snake in person.

Figuring out where to go next, he spotted the newly crafted moons, well, this one surely doesn't seemed to be shy. Closing in, he made an attempt to get the attention of the elder god.

"Sozuchi, if you wouldn't mind, I Saguro of the Dreaming, would ask for the honour to speak with you. I recently met one of your children, and sensed that you could give me some advise about my heritage as well, as about this strange world."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Lords of the Horseman...And Quarland: Pyrokus

<Then by all means let us infuse our energy into this machine. Let us bring it back to it's former glory and beyond.> Immortas stutter-teleports reappearing with his hand touching the contraption's needle-point and sending his Divine Essence gushing into it's dry pipes.
    <By the way Quarland, our 4th Lord has disappeared. Would you care to step up to the War position? Or create one of your own.>
    Pyrokus

" Hmmm, the War position...,
    Quarland ponders, "Yes, I think that'll do quite nicely. I have a Horseman in mind already. Do you want me to juice this artifact up? I'm still running hot, I've got plenty of power left for a second artifact if we need it."

Spoiler
    Show
    I create a Hero to be Horseman right? The gods themselves are not the Horseman.
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Hmm. A good definition? As good as any. What it is is a practical definition. Rather cold, but very smart - reasonable, you might say. Very sane. Something to ponder though - what if the reason is simply 'just because', hmm?" The old man gave a dry chuckle, shaking his head.

"But enough philosophy. I came to hear wonders. And see wonders too, since one can hardly simply trust word-of-mouth, can they? I've seen many things so far. I might call some of them wonders, but not the sort that need my funding, hmm?" Westin rose from his seat, producing a sturdy cane from seemingly nowhere. He didn't need it of course, but it looked rather stylish.

"Hmm, yes. First thing I see is this fine ship. Very nice. Very... large. Destroyer-Class. Hmm, but with some oddities - no destroyers were ever built in our shipyards matching the exact specifications of this one. Checked myself. Very strange, very fishy. Where did you get one of Teppelin's destroyers, if not from us? That smacks of friends in high places - high enough to build it somewhere else, or high enough to make it seem like it was never built at all. Very nice - friends like that, speaks wonders for your credibility. Alternatively, speaks wonders for you ability to dupe people into supporting you. Both possible."

"Very much, very informative. You, even more informative. Very smart, very sane, very rational. Also, very ambitious - you do not convert a fishy destroyer to make soup and sandwiches. Unless the soup is amazing. Perhaps. But no, irrelevant. The real question is - how ambitious are you? You can be too ambitious, hmm, yes, but it is far too much more common to be not ambitious enough."

He turned to Cecile, giving her an appraising look, like an employer about to hire a mercenary. "And I see this. Very nice girl. Clever girl. Also, very pretty girl. That first one is pleasant, the second one excellent, the last one meaningless, if you'll beg my pardon. Clever thing, science. Always a trade-off. Meaningless things don't last long, certainly. Better to put something better in their place." The man looked back to Lloyd, nodding sagely.

"Consider that my request. Take this girl, and improve her to the best of your ability. Better. Best. Proof-of-concept. Also, proof-of-dedication. Leaving improvement undefined - by design. Want to see what you do. Bigger? Tougher? Broodmother? Warrior? All? Nothing at all is nothing done. More done is better, but not without purpose, hmm?"

"Wheels turning in your head, Dr. Lloyd? Show me what you can do. If what you can do is impressive, hmm, yes, then you shall have all the funds you could ask for and then some - and all the respectability Galia can give your fishy destroyer. Hardly mad, by your definition. Reasons, good reasons. You'd be mad not to."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: To everyone not replied to, I'm going to bed because it's late. Sorry. Will reply tomorrow. Battle scenes take time to write.
    "What I can do?"
    Lloyd is smiling, though it doesn't touch his eyes.
    "What I have done, you mean. I sincerely doubt that a man who sought the records of this ship before setting foot on it didn't notice, though I have made every effort to maintain Cecile's outward appearance. If you really didn't notice, then I suppose I'll thank you for the compliment."
    Lloyd turns to his assistant, still smiling that flat, cold smile. It softens somewhat, when he considers her; but then it's gone again, as if it never existed. Lloyd's tone is business.
    "Cecile. Please show Dr. Westin."
    The girl pauses.
    "Can we trust him?"
    "You can trust him with everything."
    Cecile nods.
    "Alright then, I'll give you the full rundown."
    She steps over to the nearby flat-screen TV and touches a small patch of lighter-looking crysteel in one corner. Immediately, it brings up what looks like technical specifications for her body, complete with a graphic detailing where and what every mechanical or bioengineered part within her is.

"I am one-half of the Hermes program; The perfect Knightmare pilot. I don't get fatigued. I don't need to eat or sleep. I can withstand up to 20 gravities in acceleration - in any direction - without blacking out or experiencing any ill effects, without any other safeguards in place. My right eye and arm are mechanically based, but are seamlessly integrated with the rest of my body. The eye allows the miniaturized magical reactor and onboard computer in my chest to display data directly on my vision, while my right arm's carbon-steel 'bone' composition allows it to exert pressure and force far in excess of any normal Tiefling's - though this is merely a side-effect of its necessary replacement. Should my reactor be for some reason non-functional, these mechanical portions of my body may be run from ATP, allowing them to continue to function, though I will then require food and rest as a normal Tiefling does."

She takes a breath. Apparently that's still necessary.

"I can communicate with properly configured computer equipment either wirelessly or through simple skin contact, allowing me to control my Knightmare as if it were part of my body, even at a distance. I can regenerate any organic part of my body in under five minutes, surviving even if every one of my major organs is damaged, provided my "Core" of the reactor and computer remains intact and there is sufficient biomass nearby. This is, of course, without mentioning any of my more generalized upgrades such as improved reaction times or increased hardiness. Lloyd can give you a dossier on the rest of it if you desire a more in-detail overview."

She smiles.

"As for the other half, the machine I'm built to pilot... That's down in the lab. Do you have any more questions before we show you Bella?"

Spoiler
    Show

Create Artifact: "Bella", Mortal Artifact. (3 AP)

Raise Hero: Cecile Ikari (Free from "Bella")
    Cecile lost her right arm and eye to a Spiral Knight in the fall of Bastion 6.
    Lloyd found her in a hospital and offered her a chance to be herself again as his test subject and assistant. She took it.

Her fighting spirit and capabilities are immense, and she believes wholeheartedly in Lloyd's cause. He trusts her and she trusts him.

Create Prestige Class: Neuro-Pilot (Free because I didn't create a Prestige Class back when I made the Special Bioengineering Corps, now the Hermes Program because that was hilariously inaccurate.)

3-3=0.
    15 GP - 15 GP = 0 GP, +1 DR.
    Ozoi is now DR 3! Huzzah! Now I can make another +3 Bane artifact and not lose AP from Impulsive for it!
    Last edited by Lagren; 2011-01-26 at 12:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289

Vampires, Bastion 07, The Blasted Isle

Really? Vampires? Of all things, vampires? Count Belmont rubbed his forehead in frustration as the report was brought to his attention. There were, for whatever reason, a great many vampires were demanding that humans be freed. In all likelihood, to dine upon. He couldn't help but think of the fable wherein the wolf demands custody of the pig-moles. "Just... do vampires qualify as a situational existential threat?"

"No idea, sir."

"Well, worth a shot. I have much bigger things on my plate than worrying about vampires and their shambling buddies." He gave a wave of his hand, dismissing the subordinate. "Right then. I've got a call to make."

A glint in the distance. An eruption of light from the ground. Dracula's forces were set to encounter the support from Teppelin that had so ruined the day of those in the Forsaken armada. But not quite in the same manner. There were no vicious crimson lances of energy - such would be worthless against the mobile Vampires. Instead, it was the energy of the Oathkeeper that washed over them in a curtain of pale blue.

It called upon their bodies to cast them out. Some of the strongest vampires resisted. Some of the weaker ones, as well as many of the lesser undead unfortunate enough to be caught in the effect, simply fell to pieces on the spot. The rest were left in what was more or less the undead equivalent of a seizure, parasitic soul partially knocked from their bodies leaving them to struggle with realigning their essence properly.

Rising from behind the high walls, a sizable number of gunships began coasting over the agonized vampires. Their crews began the process of bombarding the undead below into oblivion, while wary White Mages took the deck to prepare to repel those vampires that had resisted what troops had colloquially referred to as the Reckoning Bomb. Some of them would almost certainly try to board.

Forsaken Armada, The Blasted Isle

Initial assaults had had little effect on the massive battleships cruising through the skies - but then came Bacsphaal's contribution. The ships were designed to withstand nearly any mortal weaponry or magic, but the direct intervention of a god was beyond them. Far away, watching the reports come in, Idra cursed in a storm of rage - he had not anticipated the god of greed taking such a direct role. This called for re-evaluation. Barking commands, he called for the battle-group to withdraw to Area 09. It was one of the safest Bastions through this rebellion, as well as one of the closest. They could take the time to repair there.

As abruptly as they had come, the battleships turned about, cruising in an orderly retreat. They fired off a half-hearted parting volley, but their cores were working overtime just to keep them airborne, and it did little damage. The cruisers, which had fared somewhat better for their position miles distant from the main battle, covered them until they were able to rejoin the main formation.

The tiefling armada withdrew, battered and sore. The forsaken had achieved victory - if a painful one. Idra consoled himself that it had, at the very least, not been a complete loss. They had hit the forsaken invaders for massive damage - had it not been for the intervention of that blasted avatar, they likely would have crushed the invasion then and there. Which had rather been his plan. Teppelin's forces were hurting, but the forsaken couldn't possibly be feeling much better.

He would simply have to be better prepared next time around.

William, Deep in the Ultimatum, Area 11

He had bought time. A fairly large amount of time, as such things go, in fact. But not unlimited time - he would need to enter the Core room eventually. This was something those in said room were keenly aware of - there was a powerful caster on board their ship, and he was seeking to break in and mess with their ship's core.

This could not be permitted.

Unfortunately, in the chaos of the boarding (they still weren't entirely sure how many rebels had made it on board - conflicting reports placed it anywhere between three and a dozen), they were unable to receive as many reinforcements as the nervous engine technicians would have liked. Armed with white magic or no, they weren't used to being embroiled in actual combat. Still, they had protocol - the lone Blue Mage among them would try to lock down the man's spellcasting, while the rest alternated between refreshing their shields and opening fire with their sidearms.

They'd practiced this situation. Drilled for it. But that paled in comparison to the real thing.

Hakan, Deck of the Ultimatum, Area 11

"Well-Earned Fall of Tyranny Throoooooow!"
    "Rising Human Spirit Uuuuuuupercuuuut!"
    "Chain-shattering Bellow of Freedom Smaaaaaaash!"

It seemed that with every blow, another knightmare fell. In some cases, quite literally - more than a few had been bodily tossed down to crash into the city below. And with every one that broke apart, Hakan's spirit soared. Kakumai was more than just good - it was invincible! Almost. "Hah! Is that all you've got, Oppressor-in-Chief? Enough with the cannon fodder! Come out and fight me like a man!"

A deep voice boomed from speaker systems all around, sending the human warrior whirling about to find its true source. "Hmph. Do you think me a fool? You are nothing but a worm, in a stolen knightmare. That is all. Your skill is impressive, but you are nothing before the might of Teppelin. You wish to do battle? So be it! Behold, little worm, my personal knightmare!"

With the blaring of a sirens, an as-yet-unopened hatch in the deck retracted. Rising from the depths of the ship came the heavy mech piloted by the Bastion Lord. Hakan didn't really stop to think about the implications of this - his foe was standing right in front of him, and that was what mattered. With a boisterous battle-cry, he gave the machine a heavy punch, shearing off an arm.

Which promptly regrew.

Kakumei caught a strong hook from the other arm as the destroyed one finished growing back. Light seemed to be erupting from the deck beneath the knightmare's feet. The rebel launched another series of blows, but each infliction of damage was simply regenerated in seconds. Whereas the ganman was taking damage with every blow it soaked.

"Wretched little human. You fight me here? My Hydra draws strength from the very ship itself! You cannot hope to defeat me while the Ultimatum still functions!"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:

Using Teppelin's Blight Charge to drop a Turn/Destroy undead mini-nuke on the Vampires. MR2 Curse.

Using the Spiral's MR4 bless to help the tiefling fleet to shrug off the worst of the assault upon it. They're still badly bruised, but their ships will be able to make a recovery with time and skilled engineering work.

Homebrew:

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Red View Post
    The Void - Saguro

Leaving The Dreaming, Saguro instantly merged with the darkness of The Void. He didn't feel so comfortable outside his realm, but he had the strongest feeling, that it would be impolite not to meet the old snake in person.

Figuring out where to go next, he spotted the newly crafted moons, well, this one surely doesn't seemed to be shy. Closing in, he made an attempt to get the attention of the elder god.

"Sozuchi, if you wouldn't mind, I Saguro of the Dreaming, would ask for the honour to speak with you. I recently met one of your children, and sensed that you could give me some advise about my heritage as well, as about this strange world."
    Sozuchi - the Void

Another god, eh? Sounds not-boring. Sozuchi appears near the source of the thought-message with a splash. Which, without gravity in the void, sent tiny drops of water spraying everywhere.

"Hello there, Caller in Darkness, I am Sozuchi, the god of not-boring, self-proclaimed. Tell me, what is it you wish to say?"

William, Deep in the Ultimatum, Area 11

He had bought time. A fairly large amount of time, as such things go, in fact. But not unlimited time - he would need to enter the Core room eventually. This was something those in said room were keenly aware of - there was a powerful caster on board their ship, and he was seeking to break in and mess with their ship's core.

This could not be permitted.

Unfortunately, in the chaos of the boarding (they still weren't entirely sure how many rebels had made it on board - conflicting reports placed it anywhere between three and a dozen), they were unable to receive as many reinforcements as the nervous engine technicians would have liked. Armed with white magic or no, they weren't used to being embroiled in actual combat. Still, they had protocol - the lone Blue Mage among them would try to lock down the man's spellcasting, while the rest alternated between refreshing their shields and opening fire with their sidearms.

They'd practiced this situation. Drilled for it. But that paled in comparison to the real thing.

Spoiler
    Show

"Well-Earned Fall of Tyranny Throoooooow!"
    "Rising Human Spirit Uuuuuuupercuuuut!"
    "Chain-shattering Bellow of Freedom Smaaaaaaash!"

It seemed that with every blow, another knightmare fell. In some cases, quite literally - more than a few had been bodily tossed down to crash into the city below. And with every one that broke apart, Hakan's spirit soared. Kakumai was more than just good - it was invincible! Almost. "Hah! Is that all you've got, Oppressor-in-Chief? Enough with the cannon fodder! Come out and fight me like a man!"

A deep voice boomed from speaker systems all around, sending the human warrior whirling about to find its true source. "Hmph. Do you think me a fool? You are nothing but a worm, in a stolen knightmare. That is all. Your skill is impressive, but you are nothing before the might of Teppelin. You wish to do battle? So be it! Behold, little worm, my personal knightmare!"

With the blaring of a sirens, an as-yet-unopened hatch in the deck retracted. Rising from the depths of the ship came the heavy mech piloted by the Bastion Lord. Hakan didn't really stop to think about the implications of this - his foe was standing right in front of him, and that was what mattered. With a boisterous battle-cry, he gave the machine a heavy punch, shearing off an arm.

Which promptly regrew.

Kakumei caught a strong hook from the other arm as the destroyed one finished growing back. Light seemed to be erupting from the deck beneath the knightmare's feet. The rebel launched another series of blows, but each infliction of damage was simply regenerated in seconds. Whereas the ganman was taking damage with every blow it soaked.

"Wretched little human. You fight me here? My Hydra draws strength from the very ship itself! You cannot hope to defeat me while the Ultimatum still functions!"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:

Using Teppelin's Blight Charge to drop a Turn/Destroy undead mini-nuke on the Vampires. MR2 Curse.

Using the Spiral's MR4 bless to help the tiefling fleet to shrug off the worst of the assault upon it. They're still badly bruised, but their ships will be able to make a recovery with time and skilled engineering work.
    Having prepared his defenses, William took the form of ice and, with the might of a glacier, broke down the door to the power core room. Less than a dozen mage technicians, and a blue mage? Such an insultingly low force. Shield raised forward, ready to dissipate the magic of the mages that targeted him directly. That blue mage, though. he was a bigger problem. He'd encountered a few over the years, and they were able to lock down all sorts of spellcasting. So, he unleashed on him not a spell but a plague. Some of the virions that were always with him went out and infected her. Over the years, William had strengthened them to resist common spells to stop them. They went to the mage and infected her with her next breath. Within seconds, her breathing would be hard as the tubes going to her lungs swelled up. In a minute, she would be unable to breathe. Death would come soon after.

He did not enjoy allowing his friends to cause such harm, but it was one of the fastest-acting diseases they knew. It would make her spellcasting difficult almost immediately, impossible within a minute.

William raised his spiked chain in his other hand, and the power of the god of greed infused the room. Each white mage found within their hearts the desire to abandon this fight against such a dangerous foe and flee.

"Any of you who leave now, I will not kill." William offered them.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Steilos View Post
    Bacsphaal, Some Time Earlier, The Drought

Bacsphaal stepped out of seemingly nowhere before Marcus, stopping to analyse the dwarf with a critical look. "Say... You're the son of that merchant-prince, right?"

A cage sprang up next to Bacsphaal with - if only it wasn't Marcus' father! It is gone as soon as it appears, rising up into the ceiling. "That one, yes? How did you get here, and more importantly, how did you become a god?"

Marcus and Bacsphaal - The Drought - Family Matters

"DAD", Marcus screamed, louder than anything his mortal self could have done. It seemed that while his power had grown his ability to hide his emotions had not.

"Seeing that, I have no doubt that you are completely aware of who I am. As for my becoming a god, at my death Iurious intervened. I had made a promise to my father, and he wanted me to have the chance to keep it."

He momentarily paused. This wasn't going like he had thought, but then he hadn't expected to be faced with a trump card on arrival. No matter, this couldn't be worse than his dealings with the dwarves. He had once convinced someone to pay him to work for him. It was just a matter of figuring out what this man wanted.

"I suppose we should cut the small talk. I come here to see what can be done to salvage the dwarves, and end the corruption. We all have many things we want, I simply want to know what you desire so we can perhaps come to an agreement."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Hedto, seeing the Gargoyles soar much faster than the airship, simply relented, redirecting the vessel as the Flag Waver gave the gestures for all-clear. They were vaguely homoerotic, but Flag Waving never was much of a language anyways.

For the Gargoyles, soaring over the flying buttresses and plateaus of the Citadel? It was a world of freedom. The Gnomes, recognizing the Gargoyles as anything but their dreaded foes, were rather content with letting them soar about. After all, they weren't actually hurting anyone, and more than a few of the children were rather amused by the sight of something flying overhead. Skating along the handful of ice rinks, a few couples chose to imitate the flightpath of the Gargoyles...right into snowbanks.

The wetness of the snow ended, however, in a localized area along one of the plateaus of the Citadel's upper portion. Thick clouds of black and brown smoke were being pumped out by over a full score of smokestacks, each one as wide as two Gargoyles flying side-by-size. Four large steel rails were suspended from in front of a large iron blast door, over thirty meters wide. They swung around in a brief curve, heading into another set of blast doors over two kilometers below that one.

As the Gargoyles sailed by the blast doors opened, several beaker-shaped tubes of stone slowly sliding down the rails. The molten iron inside bubbled in the chill air, snowflakes landing in the mix hissing away.

The Gnomes obviously wanted their iron for some reason.

Gargoyles and Gnomes - The Foothills of the Mountains - Thoria And Trade

The first of the Gnomish traders was a rather chubby sort. Not quite fat, but certainly hefty enough for the rosy cheeks he had even when warm, Jebnor was one of several workshop suppliers that had decided to check out these Gargoyles. Back in the Citadel, metals fetched a high price, especially considering the recent complications in the countryside.

Dressed in a suit of spun cotton, the Gnome had walked with the assistance of a cane ever since a workshop accident involving trying to integrate the rotary cannon concept to rifles. He had kept the cogwheel that did it on a thin chain around his neck.

Behind him, Gnomish craftsmen (and women) of every kind rode on every sort of transport imaginable. From steam-driven tractors to horseback, all the way to six-person bicycles (Since everyone in the family had to pitch in), all sorts of Gnomes were traveling to this new city. Gnomish watchmen, as well as Legionaries, had joined them in this exodus. Where there were Gnomes, there had to be law. Inspectors had followed in their wake like cockroaches, to ensure that the workshops that would inevitably spring up to so close a source of iron would follow the damn rules.

It would be up to the Gargoyles, who had made this trade city, to decide whether or not Gnomish laws applied here. Whatever their decision, the Gnomes had brought plenty to trade for the precious metal the Gargoyles offered. Trinkets were the mainstay of their gods: Wooden nutcrackers, chandeliers made of colored glass, paintings of famous events in Gnomish history, the offer of paintings, mugs, toy forges, rickshaws, the aforementioned bicycles, lockets, safes, foodstuffs, cotton, furs. The list went on and on- as though the Citadel were a vault, and the Gargoyles had been the first people to actually figure out how to open the door.

But it wasn't all junk: A savvy buyer, or just someone who was very peculiar, could find real valuables amongst the minor items. Flintlock pistols, cut-down carbines, even a handful of the newer rifles that had the actual, legitimate rifling. Steam engines, fixed up and saved from being melted down, were also available for sale. A few designs for old ships had even surfaced. Barter was more than acceptable in these markets, though the Gnomes had brought along a hefty supply of denarii not only for trade amongst themselves, but should the Gargoyles show interest in the idea as well.

Gargoyles and Gnomes - Thoria - Trade City

The town populated quickly. Many of the Gnomes would find it a bit too rustic for their tastes, but others would find it freeing. There were only two laws here, as these were the only two laws which the gargoyles allowed. The first was the respect of the right to private property. The second was the openness to maintain the first law. These encompassed many of the standard laws of many societies, the illegality of murder and theft, etc. but it meant many of the regulations imposed in gnomish cities were not required.

At least not directly.

The publicity requirement meant that every workshop had to allow for inspections for no reason whenever wanted by anyone. This meant that though the regulations on production weren't required to make things. Those things made outside gnomish regulations could be tagged, and stopped at the gates to the city. Soon a two tiered production line emerged. Some people made goods to send back to the gnomes, all regulations followed, others made goods for sale to gargoyles, on the cheep. Sometimes gargoyles would spring for the cost of a regulated good, but most didn't feel the need for the cost.

The occasional explosion did mean people learned very quickly which properties to avoid setting up shop next to. When possible reparations were made, but if a mad gnome blew himself and all his belongings to bits, then there wasn't much to make reparations with.

The danarii quickly found use. The gargoyles found it convenient to carry, but they all did their best to keep most of their wealth in coal. After all, danarii wasn't very filling. A large bank sprang up, made of quartz with a stone vault. It was quite the sight, and allowed those worried about having coal to keep it safe while trading in the danarii.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vampires&Gargoyles

"Greetings, I am Germid Third-born. We have come introduce ourselves and to ask you for help. I am a Vampire, I represent the entire Vampiric community. If you have any questions you would like to ask please don't refrain from asking them. Though I would have preferred to have this first meeting without talk of war or other unsavory things, unfortunately it must be done. You see there is a country ruled by beings called Tieflings that have wrongfully captured and imprisoned an entire race called Humans, the Humans are currently in the process of escaping and fighting the Tieflings for their freedom. The Vampires and our allies the Forsaken, the Skeletons and the Zombies are attempting to aid the Humans. The Tieflings are very advanced technologically. About an hour ago they sent some type of energy weapon through the Forsaken army killing hundreds and disabling their flying machines. This was before they had done anything except mobilize forces. Fortunately we are led to believe they can't do that often and with your help we can bring these Tieflings to justice and free the Humans with minimal bloodshed."

Vampires and Gargoyles - Near Butron - Diplomatic Ties

The couple looked at each other. "Perhaps you should come with us, Hudson will want to talk to you" Their wide eyes betrayed their uncertainty about the situation. "Follow us".

The Gargoyles were initially slow with their pace, not wanting to leave the visitors behind, but as they saw the speed with which they could move, and the distances to which they were jumping, they upped the pace. They even started trying to show off a bit. Like penguins on ice the cavern crawlers slid along the surface of the rock. Sometimes dipping low only to come flying upward and out into the air. A moment later and they were back to sliding along another tunnel they had found.

Upon arrival in Butron, the three were led to a large cathedral, built of quartz with a few small gems studded around. Hudson stood next to the alter talking with an architect about the bell tower, wanting to add a time keeping device to the town.

The male of the two quickly hurried forward and told Hudson about the situation, they then both left, along with the architect, and it was only Hudson and his guests.

"You say you want our aid in liberating these humans. I can say that freeing those who are wrongfully imprisoned is something my people can certainly stand behind, but we want to make sure of two things. The first is that we want to make sure that they aren't being imprisoned for good reason, though it sounds like that is unlikely since it is a racial line. The second is that they will have a better circumstance with you than they would with their current captivators. After all, no reason to trade one dictator for a worse one."

"That isn't to say I don't trust you or your kind, but I just don't know the state of things that far from our homeland, and so I would like to give the tieflings a chance to speak for themselves."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
    Unet: Butron - The Sleeping Gargoyle

As Harrison head off to work, back to the mines, he found the image of what he had dreamt in the front of his mind again. It was a truly wondrous image and it somehow gave him hope, inspiring within him a desire for that sort of peace and beauty once again.

Unet: Butron - Elsewhere in the city

A young gargoyle sat on the hard stone of the marketplace, an empty bowl sitting in front of her. It was humiliating to be dependent on the charity of others, but it was the only choice remaining to her. Although young, she was deformed, had been since birth, and was thus unable to fly. The stigma attached to being unable to fly made it impossible, for all practical purposes, for her to ever gain a mate. She had worked in the mines for a while, but even there she had been unsuited, possessing insufficient strength to be able to contribute her fair share of the work. Thus she sat on the ground in the market square and dreamed.

Unbeknownst to her, someone noticed her, or more precisely someone noticed the particularly vibrant dreams of the young misfit. Fortunately for her that being was Unet, and Unet decided to intervene as only an avatar of dreams could. With the softest of touches, unnoticed even by the young gargoyle herself, Unet awakened something within the girl ... something vibrant!

As passerby after passerby wandered past, the hungry young gargoyle wondered if today would be another day where she would not eat. Introspective she barely noticed when someone tossed a small piece of coal into her bowl. Realizing what it was only after it had rolled to a standstill in her bowl, Kay quickly snatched it up and stuffed it into her mouth. As she munched, she noticed seven small stones in her bowl. When they had been put there she had no idea, but there they were seven colored pieces of chalk. Not something which one could eat. Kay looked around, but no-one seemed to be paying her any attention. They very seldom did due to her deformities - no gargoyle wanted to think overmuch on the horror of being unable to fly.

Absently, she began playing with the pieces of chalk, making bold strokes of the colored chalk on the granite surface of her bowl. A picture emerged, a gargoyle crouched on a rocky outcrop with his wings outstretched. Incredibly lifelike, the simple lines of the picture spoke of the freedom of the air, of that which most gargoyles took for granted - flight.

Gargoyles - Butron - Lifted Up

The light of the moons shown brightly this night. She had been sleeping all day, her hunger bringing fatigue. She had seen something in her dreams that day, and wanted to share it.

She stood in front of the wall of a stone shop. It had long since been closed up for the night. No one was around. She twiddled the piece of chalk which lay in her hand. A look up at the wall. What was she waiting for? Finally she brought the chalk up to the wall, and began to draw.

A child held by it's mother. The father stepping out to fly away. The scene took shape before her, and yet had been already formed in the dream of the day. Where it had come from originally, who knew.

She was almost done. Then she heard something. Her head turned quickly, and she slinked away into a crevice nearby. The shop keeper had returned. Walking up from further down the path, he spotted the mural on the wall. This wasn't good. Graffiti was a serious offense in Butron. Suddenly, she saw something she hadn't expected. A smile lay on the shopkeepers face as he walked away.

Maybe she wasn't the only one who appreciated this image.
    "The wise prince will find means by which his followers will always, and in all instances, have need of him. Then, they will always be loyal to him."
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyce View Post
    The Glass Workshop

Mernos considered his creation and felt it was not yet ready. It needed something else, it needed an edge, something to take it from devastating to nigh unstoppable. The answer was magic, but of a new sort, Mernos whirred his eyes to the Future and saw what he could do, then saw the most fitting, the one that would complete his understanding and allow the thing to decimate it's foes with all due Haste.

The Fatecrafter's eyering begin to spin wildly, for the clockwork god would have to look into its own nature, into what had made it. The Timestream swirled around Mernos as he absorbed the instances of both the mortal and the Divine transgressions against time. He studied how magic affected time, caused the wounds that had given him birth. Before he has merely repaired the problems, but now he studied them in full and by doing so he understood both himself and what he could do more fully, he know knew how he could use magic to affect time without causing the very problems he was needed to repair.

He turned his attention back to the Warmech, though his eyes still spun madly. He altered the flow of time in the Warmech, speeding up its every move and calculation to a mortal creature it would well have been driven mad as everything around it moved so slowly, but Warmech was not so frail it could use this blessing to the fullest.

Mernos's eyes slowed as he considered other steps he would need to take, war was such a temporary affair. The first would be to instill in some mortals the very power he had just found, to do so was a simple thing, he reached into the future and plucked from it a few books that taught these ideas and he placed them in various libraries and places of magical knowledge, doing so had created a stable time loop, just as it was meant to and those whose books went missing would be able to guess that just such a thing happened.

Mernos paused and considered his next step...

Warmech

Warmech understood its initial goal and in mere seconds was flying through the Citadel, examining. It then turned its attention to the fleets assembled not too far away. It could sense the massive discharge of magical energies, and was watching the happenings in person even as Tyrr assaulted fleets with his storms.

Warmech considered it's actions for an entire second, it was supposed to protect the Gnomes not these others. Then again these might be allies of the Gnomes, or at least the enemies of enemies. The storm itself would cause problems for the Gnomish fleet, its creator must be dealt with. In milliseconds the Golem was in the clouds, the source's laughter gave away it's position.

Warmech activated its weapon systems for the first time, great orbs of acid, fire, ice, and sound filled the air even as hundreds of Magic Missiles streaked towards their target. Lightning flooded from Warmech's eyes filling the sky with nigh-permanent light. Whether these assaults did true damage did not matter, Tyrr could either face his aggressor or find his own fleet decimated.
    Tyrr

Tyrr growled with anger as the tiefling fleet retreated. His playthings would not escape him! As he prepared another storm to slow down the cowards, he was interrupted. Missiles of fire, ice, lightning, acid, and more, pouring into his storm from above, smashing into his form.

Tyrr was sent spinning end over end, barely recovering in time to dodge another wave. A new plaything present, so Tyrr focused on it. He smashed at it with a gushing burst of wind, but it was fast enough to evade. So he let loose with a barrage of fireballs, sending them streaking toward Warmech with great speed...

Alek

With a roar, Alek was sent spinning through the windshield of the battleship's bridge as the pilot slammed the thrusters to maximum. Recovering his equilibrium, Alek turned to dodge the expected barrage, but nothing came. The ship fled, its protective fleet following. Alek grunted. " Cowards."

He turned to see Tyrr go spinning by, desperately trying to regain positioning against some new foe. His scowl turning into a grin, Alek dived into the storm that followed Tyrr, searching for this new foe.

Through the clouds below, he spotted the strange enemy, which appeared somewhat like the Knightmares the tieflings had used, although it seemed much faster. Prepping himself with several wards, Alek folded his wings. He dived downward through the storm of fireballs that Tyrr was letting loose, sword high over his head, bringing it down squarely onto the mech's back with all the strength and speed of his hundred meter dive...

Gygax

[observation: enemy retreat]
    [conclusion: battle over]
    [powering down weapo-]
    [ALERT ALERT! hostile spotted]

Gygax whirled it's huge body around, turning it's weapons instead onto Warmech's form. It let loose with an enormous barrage of concentrated weaponry, foregoing his area of effect weapons for more precise rays of lightning and ice...

Evanzar

Evaznar sighed with relief as the fleet fled. Turning to the god of greed, Evanzar bowed low in respect. " Our thanks, Lord of Want." He called out a few orders into his helmet communicator, before spotting the firestorm in the clouds. Through a gap, he noticed the hulking form of Warmech, blasting magical missiles toward Tyrr. He simply sighed, " Oh great, another threat. " Reaching into an extra dimensional bag at his side, he pulled out a long whip of bright gold, the tail constantly shimmering and flexing with movement. He grinned at Bac. " Solid Chaos. 100% awesome." Flicking it back, he swung it up into the clouds with inhuman speed. It extended to a hundred times it length, snapping itself around Warmech's forearm with a snap!.

Spoiler
    Show
    8AP
    -1AP Lead Populace (Solid Chaos)
    Little is known of this notorious unreliable substance, other than its notorious unreliably. It does respond to some level of psychic commands, but it does not respond to the laws of physics.
    7AP
    8/24GP
    Last edited by apocalypsePast2; 2011-01-26 at 09:44 PM.

Call me Apoc.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vampire Gargoyle Relations

"We will leave the Humans their own country and allow free travel between our lands and theirs, of the Tieflings, they imprisoned the Humans because of a unique power the Humans have, Hope, the more they believe the more real it is. Impossibilities happen around them. Their rebellion couldn't have lasted as long as it has without this Reality-Breaking. They can win a game of chance 200 times in a row with dice loaded AGAINST them if they believe they will. They call it the Spiral. It stops them from ever submitting fully. Many of us remember our heritage as Humans and mourn for the culture destroyed by the Tieflings. We remember how it was before the Tieflings held the Humans captive, when Humans ruled their Isle and weren't stuck in Crysteel cities and burdened by Tiefling rule. Though we have different personalities we keep our memories in the transformation."

Bastion 07

<You do realize Vampires do not need to kill to feed, just to increase numbers. And how hard is it to send up a green flare? a Blue wave of Undead destruction doesn't count. The reasons of the Vampires want the Humans liberated is because they REMEMBER!> The Count can't tell which way the voice is coming from and can't see an intruder anywhere.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is Thought talking but he is invisible and undetectable (unless you can sense a God's Thought) so Count Belmont probably thinks he is going crazy.

Outside Bastion 07

Dracula was unharmed by the blue energy as was Immot and Jos. His Progenitor (parent) Fergle Second-Born didn't make it. Immot and the surviving Bone-mancers quickly set up shields to block some of the bombardment (50% chance of it disappearing into The Void) while Jos and the surviving Skin-mancers started magically recovering the surviving Undead and raising the Vampires and Zombies that didn't
    Dracula got angry. If he was still Human a vein would have popped in his head and his face turned red or purple. Instead he just jumped straight through a gunship, destroying it and landed on top of another. He smashed his way into the cockpit, killed everyone in the room (Raise as Vampires in 1D4 rounds) and sent the ship towards the Bastion wall. He practically flew down hallways and left a bloodbath behind him, killing every Tiefling he could lay eyes on. By the time he had finished clearing the ship, the newly risen Vampires had landed and Demon Masters, Skin-mancers and Vampires climbed aboard. Dracula dropped down to the ground and leaped again high into the sky crashing gunships into each other and turning crew into Vamps to act as pilots.
    The Demons bounded through the wall and started spreading chaos through any Tiefling force in the city, Tieflings started helping Humans, killing other Tieflings, gibbering madly, passing out from sudden pain and shooting themselves to stop the torture.
    Vampires stood on gunships sending their non-verbal Siren's Song throughout the city charming the Tieflings.

Then the scouts came.
    The scouts had been nowhere near the Army or the Bastion when the blue energy struck so they were completely fresh troops. They came from behind quickly stalking and killing Tiefling patrols turning them into Vampires. They steadily head towards the center multiplying in number as Tieflings are raised as Vampires.

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot to put 3 AP into the Warrior matrix
    7+6(rollover)
    13-3 (put in Warrior Matrix)
    call me Dragon

24. - Top - End - #294

Things were looking grim. Hakan was no monk - for that matter, neither was his ganman. Kakumei was big, bulky, and tough. Hardly suited for acrobatic maneuvering. He fought with a brawler's mentality - tossing heavy blows, and trusting his toughness and that of his mech to deal with anything that came his way.

Unfortunately, faced with a foe who could regenerate any and all damage, he was running the risk of simply being worn down. Trading blows did little when exchanging nothing for something. Still, the man wasn't about to give up so easily - gritting his teeth, he went in for another heavy punch. There had to be a limit to the thing's prowess.

The idea that it might surpass his own didn't even occur to him.

William, Reactor Core, The Ultimatum

The group of white mages traded nervous glances... then dropped their weapons and sprinted from the room. The Chain's power had hardly needed to be used at all - they were engineers, not fighters. The blue mage though, stayed - clinging on even as her strength failed her. Even as her vision faded, she clung to her training - slumping back against a console, she blindly inputted a short sequence. It took only a few seconds to grope out the necessary keystrokes, before sliding to the ground. Unable to produce any sound but a blood-flecked choking noise, the young mage wearily tossed up a hand in an obscene gesture before breathing her last.

As if on cue, the entire room was suddenly bathed in red light as a deep whining siren added itself to the general din on-board the battleship. Come what may, the entire ship now knew that the Core had been breached. William had seconds - perhaps a minute at most - to tamper with his objective before emergency locks set in and hardwired energy routes to their various functions.

Westin, Bird of Hermes, Teppelin

"Hmm. Yes, yes, detected a core, didn't think you'd integrate it. Ambitious design, hmm, but also lazy. Mechanical parts shortcut, recommend replacement. Looking harmless also definite drawback, against humans in particular - perceptual reality application yes? Look like harmless slip of a girl, they can break you like harmless slip of a girl - makes no sense, quite mad, but there you have humans in a nutshell."

"Hmm, also, seems impractical in places. Difficult to reproduce. Still, good start, good start. Prototype. Also, from your words, half of a whole. Much depends on other half, hmm? Quite interested in seeing, myself - one of two halves I've seen, and it isn't that half that needs a fishy destroyer to maintain. But must ask - why Bella? Terrible name, Bella. Knew a Bella once, bloody irritating girl. Always complaining. Also, dead now."

Homebrew:

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hakan, Rising Up, Area 11[/B]

Sunrise.

It had been killing Hakan every hour of the wait, but Soren had managed to convince him to give the dream-geezer the time to catch up. He, with all his nineteen years of wisdom and experience, didn't really see why that was necessary - they had the ganman, after all. But... Soren had a cool head. He had a way of feeling things out that Hakan envied sometimes - plunging ahead, but always keeping an eye on where he was going.

But now, the wait was over - the first glimmers of Mondo's eye appeared over the walls of the Bastion, Hakan jumped down the cleverly-concealed tunnel to the rebel base below. For the last time, he couldn't help but think - all these years of jumping in and out of tunnels were about to come to an end. He strode through the gathered crowd, looks of resolve on every face. Not all of them were here - some were in other hideouts, ready to pop up and strike amid the confusion. But many were - they'd stayed to back up their leader. Hakan felt a swelling of pride - he'd die for any one of them, and any of them for him. Brothers and sisters.

The time for flashy words was past. This stopped him about as much as it ever did. Climbing up onto the ganman, he addressed the crowd. "Listen up, bozos! This is it! We're going to be drilling up and out - so if any of you feel like chickening out, this is your last chance! No? Didn't think so! Then here we go!"

Slinging himself into the cockpit, he gripped the 'controls'. In reality, they were simply a pair of crysteel handles of armatures that roughly corresponded to the motions of his arms. He wasn't entirely sure how they worked, but figured he'd figure out as he went along. Figuring that turning it on was a good place to start, he gripped the handles and willed the machine to life.

Happily enough, it worked. The armor plating slammed shut in front of him, turning transparent from his side to allow viewing of the outside. That conquered, he willed the mech to walk, after finding a lack of any mechanisms for his feet. He grinned - this was easy! Easy as... walking. The mighty ganman turned towards the rebel crowd, who cheered wildly. "This ain't just some machine! This is more than that! We're staking our freedom on this thing, and on all of us! From now on, this thing is named Kakumei! It is freedom - ours... then all humanity's!"

Caught up in the moment, Hakan thrust his fist skyward in his favorite stance.

Right through the ceiling, and onto the street above. Well, that was one way to make an entrance. Yanking it back, he dropped into a crouch before hurling the entire bulky mech upwards, slamming through the ceiling of the cavern like a flimsy bit of cardboard. It landed, feet spread wide, on the street - somehow not collapsing the cave below. The Spiral was taking hold, and physics was going off to cry in a corner somewhere and remember the days when people paid attention to it.

Spotting a knightmare - standing somewhat dumbstruck at the shoddily-built copycat that had erupted from the stone beneath its feet - Hakan decided to test the combat prowess of his new weapon. Pulling back his fist, he let loose a battle-cry. "Blazing Eruption of Freedom Puuuuuuuuuunch!" Kakumei's fist impacted the knightmare like a meteor - the head went flying off into the distance, followed by the body going slack as the panicked pilot slammed eject and hurtled a hundred or so meters down the street in an escape capsule.

"Hell yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Come and get me!"
    For a moment or two, he felt invincible. This was it! With this, he felt like he could take on the entire tiefling army single-handed. Unfortunately, the navy had something of its own to say on the matter. Even as rebels poured out into the streets, the destroyers Justified and Efficiency began their bombardment of the city below. The battleship Ultimatum hung ominously in the sky, but did nothing. Yet. It's weapons would cause much collateral, and it couldn't risk destroying its own troops until battle lines were more clearly defined. The Marquess cursed silently, wishing for a carrier - a wish that would likely be granted in a few hours as one was diverted from holding over 09.

But in any case, Hakan soon found that nothing ruined one's day quite like being knocked down the length of the street by a naval chroma cannon.

Area 11, Revolution

Janrya pumped two shots of gel into a pair of tieflings advancing down the street. Their chests exploded, the potent Void gel caving in their stermuns and rupturing their hearts. Several human rebels advanced rushed by her, hammering the surprised tiefling squad with weapons fire. They took down several troopers, but the tieflings reacted with trained speed, finding cover and returning fire on the exposed humans. The untrained rebels quickly fell to the professional soldiers. Janrya ducked back behind cover, a short crysteel wall, and grunted in anger.

The human troops were disorganized, and many fell quickly to the disciplined tiefling squads. That wasn't to say they didn't have heart. Years of oppression had hardened their anger into rage, and they fought like demons against the tieflings. But rage didn't win fights on its own, and the two destroyers raining chroma-flavored death onto the city had been slicing the humans up. With them still in the sky, the humans had a very slim chance, even with the Ultimatum still silent.

Wrenching herself back to the fight, she peeked over the edge of cover and was greeted by a whiz of laser fire whistling over her head. She ducked down as the squad unleashed a volley of fire on her. She started to cast an invisibility spell when the firing went abruptly silent.

Peeking again, she was greeted by the sight of a human wielding two swords tearing apart the tiefling squad with the grace of a ballet dancer. He swung and twirled through tiefling flesh like soggy cheese, slicing off limbs like loaves of bread.

It was over in a few seconds, the entire squad dead.

The man heard Janrya stand up, and glanced at her. " Janrya." he acknowledged, then glared at her. " I did not teach you to hide behind walls doing nothing, whelp. Do something useful, or I'll serve your soul to the Masked Lord."

" Lucian." She greeted her master. " A pleasure as always. " She grinned, then grew serious. " I believe we should try to remove those airships, " she said, pointing. "They're the biggest threat."

" Agreed. " Lucian looked up at them, then back to her. " So let's take them out right now." He smiled at her.

Janrya stared at him confused.

Lucian laughed, and shouted out a single syllable. With a flash of violet light, they dissipated.

The Justified

They reappeared in a storage closet on the Justified.
    Janrya recoiled in shock at the sudden displacement. " You're a cleric and a Foolmancer?" she exclaimed.

He shushed her, and grinned. " You're surprised I kept some secrets from you?" he joked. Gesturing to the door, his human face morphed to that of a tiefling, and his clothing to that of a lieutenant's. " Shall we go?"

Pyrokus

" Well, I suppose I can contribute a bit too. And my War is a bit, well distracted, at the moment, but I'll soon have him on his horse and ready to go."

Walking closer to the Warrior Matrix, Quarland presses his palm against it. Purple fire flows down his arms and into the thing's circuitry, rejuvenating it.

Spoiler
    Show
    7AP
    -0AP Join Pantheon (Impulsive)
    -3 AP Join Warrior Matrix
    4AP
    11/24GP
    Last edited by apocalypsePast2; 2011-01-26 at 08:15 PM.

Call me Apoc.

26. - Top - End - #296

"It was my pleasure... Haven't killed anything in days..." Bacsphaal replies to Evanzar before watching the Solid Chaos whip grab the Warmech. "Very impressive." he comments, firing a flurry of doomfire projectiles at the Warmech with a flick of his hand.

Bacsphaal, The Drought, Family Matters

Bacsphaal just smirked at Marcus' outburst, before turning back to the topic at hand. "You are asking me to release my hold over the desires of the Dwarven Race and to repair their extensive corruption..." He folded his arms and tilted his head. "You're asking the wrong person, lad. It's like asking an arsonist to put out a fire. I don't do salvage or repair." He circled around Marcus. "Besides, I am Bacsphaal. Greed, famine and poverty incarnate. To tear up the roots of corruption would be akin to tearing my own hand off."

Bacsphaal leans nonchalantly upon his staff. "On the other hand, what could you offer my for my word that I won't make any more trouble in the Old World? Not sayin' I'll help you fix it or anything, just that it won't get any worse."
    Solomon Yeager by the exceedingly talented The Architect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Steilos
    Class: Thief
    Promotes to: Ninja

Skills
    Vantage - Allows the character to post first in all threads.
    Insight - Allows the character to see threads at a greater distance.
    Ah, mon petit choux fleur.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297

Kali, Hespa, and Tel'Radai - Overlooking the Blasted Isle

Spoiler
    Show
    Tel'Radai, Hespa

"Her name is Teikoku, she was the creator of life. And the cataclysm that swept the world was as much her fault as it was the fault of her brother, Mondo, as it was the fault of her brother, Sozuchi. And it was also the fault of the great makers, Terran, who fed his sister's outrage, Julien who descended into his debauchery and the mirror lord himself who watched amused. And it was also the fault of the smaller gods who took sides in that conflict and added to the death tool, and do so to this day. And it was the fault of the four mortals who did what they did, and all their kin who are punished to this day for it. And all other mortals who lost their close ones to the flames. And of the immortals in their high abodes who watched the chaos with entertainment. And it is the fault of the deities and mortals and immortals who followed, who would derive all the wrong conclusions from the event."

"Most of all, it is the fault of those who point fingers and give excuses and rationalizations when fingers are pointed at them, instead of silently and elegantly accepting their shame."

All the time Tel'Radai spoke, visions of the cataclysm as witnessed by him and his immortal kin, the nerra, blanketed the surroundings, a magnificent display of illusions, with all the heat and all the tearing shards of metal of the event as it was.

But Hespa is a goddess. What threat do the true illusions of a Hal'Xaazen Deceiver pose to a deity.

"And to this day the aftermath of that event haunt us all in our own particular ways, still the gods are worth of worship, for they are the makers of everything, and for that we must be grateful and humble. Even the small gods who came afterwards, must be humble before their divine ancestors."

The image of the mirror lord looms massive and terrible behind Tel'radai, before all the illusions vanish.

"As for Llymic, I am afraid not. The gods can see, hear and speak to their dead kin as easily as mortals can theirs without the aid of magic, and no magic of the gods can reach their fallen..."

"But we can be patient while he awakens, Mistress, we have all the time in the existance."

Spoiler
    Show
    Kali smiled at Hespa's explanation, "Ascension fatigue. I had the same high rush through my veins when I first ascended. You feel like you can take on the world- then all the power starts running low. It's a precarious position, retaining enough strength to remain effective when needed, but not so much that you seem overloaded."

He closed his tome, letting it rest at his side once more, "As for the Gnomes, I made them bright enough- I'm certain they'll be able to figure things out for themselves when the time comes. Though I'd like to mention it's not precisely my own resource management issues- while I do have larger-scale plans for the Gnomes as a species, their immediate future does not bear any real significance to the outcome of those plans. The resource conundrum was simply a complication I had not foreseen."

He smiled again, "How goes the world creation, by the way? It seems there is quite a bit left undone at the moment."

Hespa began to spin and twirl, hop and pirouette. Her vine-like hair danced counter to her movement and made several patterns during the dance. In a sing-song voice she replied "World creation appears to be a strenuous business, although I've found that there are many tools which can help ease the burden. I'm afraid that I simply don't have time to be building new worlds when there is still so much to do in this one". Hespa stops her dancing and starts glancing back and forth between the many battle zones. "What are all these creatures?" She asks. "The one up near those white structures don't seem that numerous. I wonder if they will survive. I feel that soon I shall be off to see the Llymic, that I might know what happens to gods who abandon their godliness. Would you two like to come with me?".

The Blasted Isle

Hespa's creations were slowly spreading across the island, with the first swarms of Locani coming close enough to the bastions and the Forsaken armies to make their presence felt. Long standing magics and enchantments began to be eaten away, and mages felt their contingencies and protections disappearing. Only those who could see into the spirit realm of Kamigawa would notice the Locani at work.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

William - Reactor Core

A few seconds was all the time he needed. William had modified his shield over the years, without having changed his appearance. First off, he released his shield's energy draining burst, disabliing all arcane energy in that quarter of the ship. Things without their own power sources would become useless. Even those with one would take time to recover. All this had been done before. What had not been done was what happened next.

He approached the core, and placed his shield over one of the facets. At once, his shield flared to life, glowing a most brilliant bright blue hue. A trail of blue energy connected his chain to the core, through the shield.

The ship's systems shut down, and all over the capital ship everything lost power.

The backups kicked in quickly, slowing the descent. William reached out with his free hand that wasn't keeping the shield in place and touched a panel. It took almost all his skill and concentration, but he managed to level the ship. A blue flare shot up to signal the cruisers to lay off assault.

Once the flare went off, he subverted the crysteel panels nearest the door to emits arcs of energy back and forth, crackling with ominous power.

He had done what he could. Now it was up to his loud friend in the giant robot.

Chept - Into the Fray

Their preparations complete, the Chept army moved out at once. They did not march, however. Marching was for those armies that were not composed of mages, archmages, spirit-shapers, and otherworldly beings.

No, the Chept army does not march. It teleports. Each of the Set'Chept and many dozens more among the lesser Chept with sufficient magical skill set up teleportation gates. Once the spell was finished, the Star'Chept rushed through, pouring in a seemingly endless stream for an hour, followed by the more "civilized" Chept mages. They were followed by Chept, Banchept, Elekchept, Iounchept, Bitvachept, Shota, Jormungand, and the Faeri.

Within an hour, the Chept had reached their first destination: the Vortex Isles. A few hundred Chept mages were already living there, seeking to study the magics of the place, and they were easy to convince to join with their brethren. The residents of the Vortex Isle once more associated themselves with Sozengrad. After this "conquest", the Chept armies teleported off once more.

This time, to a land that no Chept had ever stepped foot in before. The Blasted Isles.

They did not know much about the lands there, but they knew that the humans within had at one point had the hubris to set creation on fire. It seemed likely to make a good vassal territory.

They decided to pick a location on the Isles far away from their homelands, in order to help hide where they came from. Not that anyone can exactly track an army that teleported in.

They chose a location in the northwest of the Blasted Isles. Tieflings know that area as Area 07.

Vampires and other horrors had surrounded it. At once, something in the Star'Chept flared to life. Iounchept would later theorize that it must have been an experience that the Star'Chept had while in the Riverways that reminded them of the vampires. Whatever it was, the Star'Chept went completely berserk, attacking the vampires head-on. Shota saw this, and decided to channel this rather than fight it. Using he gifts as Sozuchi's Valkyrie, she blessed them with the pure rage of the heart. Ironic, as they Star'Chept had no hearts. Filled with a now-supernatural fervor, the vampires found themselves set upon by behind by creatures that defy all understanding about what life is. They did not appear to have musculature strong enough to be anywhere close to matching the vampires, but nontheless, the vampires found themselves matched in strength by these creatures. They had no blood to drain, and "killing" them seemed to only slow them down for a little while. The vampires were torn to shreds, the parts of them that had been initially bitten almost always separated from their hearts.

The Chept mage-army stood back for now, waiting to see the results of the fist wave.

Spoiler
    Show
    bless, mr4 on the Star'Chept. They are now empowered by a divine fervor that enables them to exceed vampires in combat.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Westin, Bird of Hermes, Teppelin

"Hmm. Yes, yes, detected a core, didn't think you'd integrate it. Ambitious design, hmm, but also lazy. Mechanical parts shortcut, recommend replacement. Looking harmless also definite drawback, against humans in particular - perceptual reality application yes? Look like harmless slip of a girl, they can break you like harmless slip of a girl - makes no sense, quite mad, but there you have humans in a nutshell."

"Hmm, also, seems impractical in places. Difficult to reproduce. Still, good start, good start. Prototype. Also, from your words, half of a whole. Much depends on other half, hmm? Quite interested in seeing, myself - one of two halves I've seen, and it isn't that half that needs a fishy destroyer to maintain. But must ask - why Bella? Terrible name, Bella. Knew a Bella once, bloody irritating girl. Always complaining. Also, dead now."
    "The mechanical parts were early on, before we has progressed to more sophisticated methods. If I were to rebuild her now, I'd do it differently - but I was not and am not going to remove an arm I've already installed. It's part of her body now - replacement would involve major and unnecessary surgery.
    Therefore, her right arm's metal, while the rest of her bones are merely the density of it. As you say, a prototype.

As for her appearance being a disadvantage against humans... Yes, they will destroy a harmless Tiefling woman easily. They will kill that woman. Not Cecile. Cecile will survive. If she is attacked outside her Knightmare, that means it has been disabled or she has been ambushed. In either case, survivability takes precedence over combat effectiveness.

As for reproduction of her particular set of enhancements; It is highly unlikely that all of her enhancements will be possible as a package without major invasive surgery or scratch construction. Cecile is one-of-a-kind; her body has been my testbed for every major advance I have made so far.

However, the individual enchancements that are built into her are all reproducible. I have pills in my medicine cabinet that can replace the need for all food and sleep for up to a week without side-effects; I can integrate a neural connection into any Knightmare and pilot with a week's work and a year's training. I can engineer powerful muscles, incredible reflexes, and regeneration based on metabolism into anyone willing to undergo drug treatments for several months while their body is reshaped. All of these, I can do without invasive procedures, working with normal Tieflings as my materials; and every one of them can be done in such a way that the modifications are invisible or nearly so.

With surgery or working with beings I created myself? Then I can do more than that. Then I can create beings like Bella.

You ask, why do we call her Bella?"

Lloyd shrugs.

"Why don't you take this one, Cecile?"

Cecile smiles. It's a warm and honest smile. It's a smile that you might have when thinking of a friend.

"She is Bella as in beautiful, because she is an elegant and peerless piece of bioengineering.
    She is Bella as in Bellicose, because she is a machine built and grown for war.
    She is Bella as in Isabella, because she is the result of a promise I made a long time ago.
    She is Bella as in Belladonna, because she is the poison of despair that will make the humans give up.
    But mostly, she is Bella because she is a demon. Her true name, the official one, is Belial."

The smile is now a ferocious grin.

"Lloyd! Take the Bird out of Teppelin, please. I want to put Bella through her paces for this sack of meat, and if I do it here there will be rather a scene."

With that, she leaves the cabin, clearly heading for the lab.

Lloyd watches her go, then shrugs.

"Some parts are harder to work with than others. People are generally complicated that way.

Want to go on a little sightseeing trip to nowhere? I promise it'll be worth your time."

Spoiler
    Show

I meant to show Westin Bella in this post, I swear! But then Cecile went and got all... something on me. I'll get to it! I will!
    Last edited by Lagren; 2011-01-26 at 11:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Attack of the Starfish! Bastion 07

Unfortunately for the Stars the area they attacked were full of Tiefling-Vampires. These Vamps were more accustomed to using guns than fangs or raw strength. They also found that killing with Fire would work too and the Psions in the overhead ships started raining pinpoint accurate flames at the starry-headed creatures.
    The remaining Tieflings, Chept and any other creature not Human or Undead hear a gentle singing in the air. The song is the most beautiful song they ever heard and seems to be coming from a choir of the most beautiful things ever laid eyes upon. They will either stare in awe and wonder or chase after them if they leave sight. Everyone else just see Vampires laughing at the fools in contempt.

Spoiler
    Show
    10AP -3AP (MR2 Bless: Star Tactics)
    Tiefling-Vampires use their guard weapons to attack the Stars (which seem to be lasers unless I misunderstood something) and Vampires with Psion levels start using Fire-based attacks from the converted gunships.
    7AP -7AP (MR4 Curse: Siren Song)
    Everyone not immune to Mind-Affecting or Human can't do anything except move or climb when no Singing Vampire is in sight.
    Last edited by DragonOfUndeath; 2011-01-26 at 10:51 PM.
    call me Dragon