New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default [3.5]Alternative Uses for Turn Undead

'Kay, so I'm researching some of the things I can do with Turn Undead attempts besides, well, actually turning undead. If you don't generally see a lot of undead, then it makes sense to find a different use for them.

But as I've been browsing through my books, I realized that there are just so many options it's overwhelming.

What do you trade your Turn Undead for? I'm guessing most of these options are going to be feats, but there could be items that could be used to channel that positive energy toward something that could help the party.

What alternative uses for Turn Undead are most useful?
    Last edited by Callista; 2011-01-12 at 03:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Alternative Uses for Turn Undead

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER trade Turn Undead. Its an awesome mechanic for powering tons of cool stuff.

CWarrior, CDivine, and a couple other books have a fair number of [Divine] feats, feats that use TU attempts to do various things. Some of them are REALLY GOOD, like Divine Metamagic or Divine Might, and some of them are kinda meh, like Divine Vigor or Divine Shield, and some are downright terrible like the one that aligns everyone else's weapons but yours, forgot the name, or Divine Resistance. The ones that take an action to activate but only last 1 round are generally considered miserable.

CChampion also introduces Devotion feats, all of which other than Knowledge Devotion, grant additional uses by spending TU attempts.

Some classes also use TU attempts to do cool things. Ruby Knight Windicator and Ordained Champion are two of the best, and best known, but I'm sure there are a few others.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2011-01-12 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

On my Ordained Champion... I use Turn Attempts to Smite (Cha to hit, Turn Level to Damage) and Sacred Shield (Cha to Shield AC as a Sacred Bonus)... Probably will pick up Divine Spell Power for a Caster Level Increase

The #1 thing turn attempts are used for in the realm of most bang for your buck, though, is Divine Metamagic.
    Advocate for S.U.P.E.R.!
    (Society for Undersized People Earning Respect)

Initiate Ref for the Arena! I'm Participating!

Monkey Eating a Sandwich Avatar courtesy of Akrim.elf... Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER trade Turn Undead. Its an awesome mechanic for powering tons of cool stuff.
    Nonono. I meant trading uses of Turn Undead. I don't think I'm silly enough to actually give up that class feature. It's very cool indeed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, there's not much you can really trade if out for anyway. Clerics only have the Smite Giant's ACF in Races of Stone, which is TERRIBLERAWR, and Paladins have a couple of options in Champions of Valor, most of which are pretty bad, though.

Just makin sure! :P

EDIT: I just remembered another use. Illumians (RoDest) with the NaenHoon sigil combo can use something akin to Divine Metamagic, and it doesn't even have the whole "Divine Only" clause, which means that any Illumian Wizard who dips into Sacred Exorcist can DMM Persist up to 2 spells per day. Also, another reason why Paladin4/Duskblade2 is my favorite entry into Suel Arcanamach. Persistant Wraithstrike is FUN!
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2011-01-12 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

1.Unless you're wanting to be a necromancer, I would change out Turn Undead. For Rebuke Dragon. Not only is fully compatible in regards to feats(says so explicitly), but I suspect that commanding a dragon is far more potent for the cleric not built for necromancy.

2.Dragonfire Channeling converts Turn attempts for undead(dragons too) and elementals into a breath weapon. If you've got elemental domains, this is probably the only RAW+RAI method of converting them. Requires you to be dragonblooded. Default is half-fire, half-sacred, but can be adjusted with draconic heritage.

3.In complete divine, there's a variant rule for how turning works that allows you to deal damage instead of the fear/destruction results, making it *FAR* more effective against high effective HD undead, like the BBEG.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Are there options that affect more than just your character?--like, stuff that'll help the rest of the party somehow?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    1.Unless you're wanting to be a necromancer, I would change out Turn Undead. For Rebuke Dragon. Not only is fully compatible in regards to feats(says so explicitly), but I suspect that commanding a dragon is far more potent for the cleric not built for necromancy.
    You can only command a dragon with HD up to half your turning level, which isn't going to be all that impressive even if you pile on the turning level bonuses. With undead, you can at least use tricks involving negative turn resistance to snag stronger targets, which won't work with dragons.

On the other hand, for good-aligned (or healing-spont neutral) clerics any rebuking is probably better than straight turning, and the dragons will probably smell better than undead.

As far as alternate uses for turn attempts, my favorite is Water Devotion. Yeah, it's no Divine Metamagic, but I like being able to just plop out a water elemental several times a day whenever I feel like it, and it'll frequently compare favorably to the elementals you could get with Summon Monster at equal level.

Are there options that affect more than just your character?--like, stuff that'll help the rest of the party somehow?
    Just looking at Complete Divine, there's Sacred Boost (maximizes cure spells), Sacred Healing (fast healing for your allies for Cha + 1 rounds), and Glorious Weapons which lets your allies' weapons pierce aligned DR. From Complete Champion, Good/Evil Devotion and Protection Devotion are both area buffs.
    Last edited by Benly; 2011-01-13 at 01:59 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    You can only command a dragon with HD up to half your turning level, which isn't going to be all that impressive even if you pile on the turning level bonuses. With undead, you can at least use tricks involving negative turn resistance to snag stronger targets, which won't work with dragons.
    Wait, where are you getting the 'half' part from?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

A few items from the MIC can be powered by Turn Attempts:

Divine Wrath weapon enhancement
    Ring of Brief Blessing
    Radiant Sphere

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Divine Metamagic is great and gets a bad reputation from people who try to carry around 400 Nightsticks. When used responsibly, and with at max 1 Nightstick, you can get free Extend/Persist on extremely useful spells and then have more spell slots for utility/combat/buffing/whatever.

I'll second that the Devotion feats are awesome, well several of them are anyway. Law, Travel, Animal, and Knowledge Devotion are all great feats, and all but the Knowledge one give you extra uses for spending TU attempts.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Wait, where are you getting the 'half' part from?
    From the way turning/rebuking works, unless Rebuke Dragons changes that drastically. You can rebuke targets up to your level, but commanding only happens to targets with HD of half your level or less.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD on "Destroying Undead"
    If you have twice as many levels (or more) as the undead have Hit Dice, you destroy any that you would normally turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on "Evil Clerics and Undead"
    Undead that would be turned are rebuked instead, and those that would be destroyed are commanded.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

There is Divine Counterspell in Complete Mage. You lose the ability to turn/rebuke undead but gain the ability to burn turning attempts to act as Dispel Magic for counterspelling. You add your cleric levels as opposed to caster levels, you can do that 1+ Cha mod (as opposed to 3 + cha.)