New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Sea of Dragons - DnD Gaming Server set in the Forgotten Realms (Uses NWN2)

Hello, OOTS fans. I've been lurking on this site quite some time enjoying the comic and the comments on the forum. After reading for awhile, it's hit me that some people here might enjoy the online equivalent of DnD dungeon delving and adventures without having to run with the masses or be led through a plot like in some popular MMO games. Therefore, I introduce a server that I and a couple others run to give players just this kind of experience - freedom to explore, dungeon delving, character development, and plenty of failed listen checks! It's as close to PnP as you can get on a computer.

For this reason, I present (with permission, of course) Sea of Dragons: Moonsea

The server is entirely free and the only "payment" we get from it is the satisfaction of seeing players enjoy something that we've built. We don't have fees, we don't have ads, we don't require applications. So what do you need to play?
    • Neverwinter Nights 2 and the expansions (MotB, SoZ)
    • Your Imagination

The first is now easier than ever to obtain and the second is something everyone should already have.

So, how about a better introduction to the server and it's goals? Sure. Read on!

All Dungeons and Dragons players appreciate the value of a good story, no matter how tragic or how silly. And we at Sea of Dragons aim to bring you all the resources required to build your own tale or join in with others. Sea of Dragons is a Persistent World server set in Forgotten Realms’s Moonsea region. As a Persistent World each event is progressive, just as the real world shifts from yesterday, to today, into tomorrow. It is a living, breathing, evolving world for your character to adventure and grow. In an effort to avoid the heavily trampled modern settings of Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition, 3.5, and 4th Edition, Sea of Dragons takes place previous to Forgotten Realms infamous Time of Troubles, thus giving every player – and their character – a unique perspective into the revolutionary Forgotten Realms setting. Despite the timeline, we still stick to the 3.5 rule set.

The whole project is beautifully rendered with Obsidian’s Neverwinter Nights 2 engine, the most stream-lined and accurate video game simulator for D&D to date! Select from all your favorite races and classes, and some new ones, to create a traditional or contemporary character, and play through his days in a vibrant and challenging world. Join other adventurers and forge allies and friendships to defy the forces of evil, or challenge the righteous as an insidious villain. Your imagination is the limit, and we’ll supply the visuals to match!

At Sea of Dragons we take pride in putting the players first, affording a character-driven world. Watch the towns and cities shift around your character with every choice that he or she makes. Our talented and devoted staff of Dungeon Masters and Developers is dedicated to bringing you the very best plots and an ever expanding world of high adventure.

Come join the players at Sea of Dragons and interweave your tale with so many others for endless hours of old fashioned Dungeons and Dragons fun.

Some fun things you can do in a nutshell:

• Make a character and forge your own adventure. Spin your own plots with other players or with a DM's help. Build your character's background and then play out his future. Be a hunter, healer, ferocious warrior, or town drunk. The possibilities are endless.

• Be a part of the ruthless Moonsea politics - join the Harpers, Red Wizards, or Zhentarim. Alternatively create your own player guild. Bring a few friends and form your own adventuring party.

Sea of Dragons is a heavy RP (Roleplay) world, and so we have introduced things to the game to make your adventure more like tabletop. Here is a partial list of the fun things that are implemented on the server:

• Alcoholic Beverages: Playing the town drunk is a real possibility. Or perhaps a drinking contest? Either way, if your character has too much ale, he may find himself passed out on the floor.

• Ambushes: Resting in the wilds of the Forgotten Realms is a dangerous thing to do. Any number of hostile creatures are just waiting for your character to close his eyes in slumber before pouncing upon him.

• Ammunition: Skilled characters can retrieve some ammunition that they have fired. Who wouldn't want to retrieve those expensive magical arrows? Haley Starshine would get them back!

• Climbing: Your character can attempt to scale rock walls, ropes, and crates to gain access to places. Use them to sneak around enemies, come in through a back door, or just to laugh at your less nimble party members when they fall down.

• Economy: Loot dungeons, skin animals, go fish, brew potions, or interact with other characters to keep your money plentiful. Your character will need it to purchase those special Boots of Elvenkind.

• Explosives: Bombs aren't just for villains, ninjas, and dwarves. Everyone can enjoy a good fireworks show.

• Holy Symbols: Banjo's clerics need their holy symbols to be effective. Without them they might as well be underpowered fighters with blunt weapons and hand puppets.

• Lanterns and Torches: Nobody wants to be in the dark unless they are either a sneaky rogue bent upon backstabbing or stealing, or a crafty dwarf who can see in it. That's why there are torches and lanterns provided for those lesser races that aren't smart enough to have developed darkvision.

• New DnD Spells: 400+ custom scripted spells have gone on the server in addition to what the original NWN2 has to offer.

Interested and have the game? Click the link below to check out the site, then hop online!

Interested but don't have the game (and two expansions) or just want more information? Feel free to send me a message and I'll be glad to help.

And again, for anyone who doesn't feel like scrolling up to find the link to our site, here it is: Sea of Dragons Website
    Last edited by The Curt Jester; 2011-01-13 at 10:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Dragons - DnD Gaming Server set in the Forgotten Realms

You may want to bold the fact that this is a NWN 2 + Addons server. Right now it's kinda burried in all the text.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3

Thanks for the note. I'll make the edit. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looks interesting. With the steam holiday sales, I managed to pick up neverwinter platinum edition which contains all of the expansions. I have managed to play through the campaign of the original and MotB with a cleric and wizard respectively and now I don't know really what to do. SoZ seems unattractive to me since I prefer to play spell casters and according to what I have read without hide, spot move silently or listen the game becomes very tedious.

So maybe I will check out Sea of Dragons some day. I will bookmark your site and check it out a bit and see whats in store.

5. - Top - End - #5

I should mention that Sea of Dragons has about 400+ custom DnD spells besides what the original game has to offer. Wizards have plenty to choose from. Wizards are also squishy for awhile, but that's why low level fighters are around. :)
    Administrator of the DnD gaming server, Sea of Dragons: Moonsea - a Persistent World set in the Forgotten Realms that uses the Neverwinter Nights 2 game.

See what the server has to offer without leaving these boards! Sea of Dragons on OOTS Forum

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Sea of Dragons - DnD Gaming Server set in the Forgotten Realms (Uses NWN2)

As a player on Sea of Dragons, and a wizard player, I can attest to the wonderful options available to spellcasters, custom spells and systems for every caster class as well.

More about the server in general is that it is designed to feel like a tabletop game with a heavy focus on character development and roleplay, adventuring is of course available but not the only way to earn experience (and certainly not the best). The players are amazingly creative and fun to play with and the staff is always willing to help however they can (within the rules, of course).

I would love to see some more Order of the Stick fans on the server, as I've found that you guys tend to be a great crowd. (Great comic, great crowd).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Dragons - DnD Gaming Server set in the Forgotten Realms (Uses NWN2)

So, I've tried Persistent Worlds before, and my problem was always the same: I'm European, and whenever I could actually be on, there were about two other players in the world and no DMs, so there was never anything to do. About the time I just had to log off in order to get any sleep, everyone else came on.
    How is that on your server? How many people do you have?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well this may be a good experience for me since honestly I have never roleplayed. My only actual experience with DnD is via neverwinter nights 2 and LOTS of book reading. So yeah, I know the rules and strategies but actually acting as someone I am not will be new to me.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, I've tried Persistent Worlds before, and my problem was always the same: I'm European, and whenever I could actually be on, there were about two other players in the world and no DMs, so there was never anything to do. About the time I just had to log off in order to get any sleep, everyone else came on.
    How is that on your server? How many people do you have?
    We have a pretty good European crowd, but it does vary by day. Currently at nearly noon GMT -6, there isn't much of a crowd. The most in the European hours will show up around 3 PM to 6 PM (9 PM - 12 AM GMT). We actually have more European players, I think, though the U.S. players seem to be a bit more regular on when they show up. Weekends are better, of course, because the U.S players often show up in European hours.

EDIT: As of 9:18 PM GMT, there are definitely more than two players online to interact with.
    Last edited by The Curt Jester; 2011-01-14 at 04:22 PM.
    Administrator of the DnD gaming server, Sea of Dragons: Moonsea - a Persistent World set in the Forgotten Realms that uses the Neverwinter Nights 2 game.

See what the server has to offer without leaving these boards! Sea of Dragons on OOTS Forum

10. - Top - End - #10

This coming weekend is the one year anniversary of Sea of Dragons going into open beta. We've had a great year with lots of new updates such as custom coded systems, PnP style monsters. In all, we've made more headway on this project than we expected in such a short period of time. We're looking forward to doing just as much in the coming year.

However, that can wait for a few days at least. For now it's time to celebrate a little bit and do something fun for our players. This coming weekend (February 4/5/6) we are going to take a shot at doing a three day marathon of DM-run events. That's right --- though I don't think we can cover all 72 hours, we're going to have 7 DMs online that weekend as much as possible.

If you've played on SoD or currently play there, be sure to stop by sometime and try to get into one of the plots. If you haven't played there, now might be a good time as we hope to have both a lot of DMs and a lot of players on during this weekend.

We only do this marathon once a year, so don't miss it!

Anyone needing more information about the server can just read through this thread or click the link in my signature to jump to our forum.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Returning to the server after a long, unfortunate absence! Looking to try and get some interest involved again, feel free to check us out and log in to game with us. You'll find me most US Eastern evenings between 6pm and 11pm!

Hope to see you guys there!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's been quite a while since I played on a NWN PW, but I feel like I'd like to give this a closer look. European based and with several real-life commitments so I probably won't be playing a whole lot though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm tempted to have a look at this, although I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to roleplaying though - might need a DM or something to get me started.

Another EU player here as well.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I'm tempted to have a look at this, although I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to roleplaying though - might need a DM or something to get me started.

Another EU player here as well.
    Hello.

Role-playing is pretty easy, actually. Just pretend you're somebody else! If you need help with things, you could pop into the server IRC channel (Go to the forum link and then click on "Chat" at the top. There are often people in there that can help you out if you need it.

Jester

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems like a pretty cool server. I think I'll be good at the roleplaying because of the RP-Town on the GITP Minecraft server. Somehow, I played a battle-hungry paladin who fully believed his god encouraged looting and fighting monsters .
    I also have several questions:
    Is there any sort of faq of some sort for new players?
    Do I need certain mods to go on the server?
    At what time are the most players/DMs on?
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    This seems like a pretty cool server. I think I'll be good at the roleplaying because of the RP-Town on the GITP Minecraft server. Somehow, I played a battle-hungry paladin who fully believed his god encouraged looting and fighting monsters .
    Everybody's opinion on what is good role-playing varies. I wouldn't worry about whether or not you are and instead just have fun with it.

I also have several questions:
    Is there any sort of faq of some sort for new players?
    The forums ( www.seaofdragons.com/forum ) has information on the server. But were you asking about the server or the game itself? It'll be easier to give info if I know.

Do I need certain mods to go on the server?
    Yes, you do. However, the server is set up so that when you connect, all the files that you need will automatically download into the appropriate folders on your computer. All you need to get are the game and the two expansions. I know it's available on Steam as a package deal.

At what time are the most players/DMs on?
    Around 5 PM to 11 PM CST (GMT -6). I'm the one who DMs most, but I haven't had a lot of chance to do much of it of late so my own times are sporadic.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Curt Jester View Post
    Everybody's opinion on what is good role-playing varies. I wouldn't worry about whether or not you are and instead just have fun with it.

The forums ( www.seaofdragons.com/forum ) has information on the server. But were you asking about the server or the game itself? It'll be easier to give info if I know.

Yes, you do. However, the server is set up so that when you connect, all the files that you need will automatically download into the appropriate folders on your computer. All you need to get are the game and the two expansions. I know it's available on Steam as a package deal.

Around 5 PM to 11 PM CST (GMT -6). I'm the one who DMs most, but I haven't had a lot of chance to do much of it of late so my own times are sporadic.
    1. Alright
    2. The server. Thank you for the link.
    3. Okay. I already have the package deal on steam.
    4. Thanks for letting me know.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine