New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Request for additional psionics options in the Tome of Tactics

I'm stunned with all the work y'all have put into this project -- it's exhilarating. It's also driving me to distraction because I want to try several of these ideas out to see how they play compared to the original ToB material. Way to go!

As you continue the development of this project, I'd like you to consider investing a smidge more integration with the XPH (or, if you please, Dreamscarred Press's Psionics Unleashed). I've been experimenting with both psionics and ToB for several years and adore them -- mostly because they intertwine so well. You can easily "explain away" the source of ToB's martial maneuvers as an inborn, psionics-like, power source without upsetting any of the more hide-bound arcane- and divine-themed casters. They tend to quiet down and stop throwing things when you justify a shadow garrote as having been "manifested from ectoplasm" rather than "tapped from the weave" or whatever.

The wild strike feat is a strong down-payment on the kind of work y'all (we?) can do; I'd really like to see you (us?) explore some of these ideas.

As an example, I've been crafting a Warblade/Psion multiclass idea as an NPC for an upcoming PFRPG campaign because the two Int-based fighitng styles seem to integrate so smoothly that you'd assume that they'd been intended all along to merge. A PrC or feat combination or even variant cross-over rule could smooth off the rough edges of the traditional multi-classing approach and make something both fun and memorable.

Mull on it, please. No rush. If it's not to your liking, that's okay -- just keep on with the great work you're already doing and we'll all be thrilled.

Many thanks,

KP

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Tactics: A sequel to ToB [PEACH]

I like the idea of combining ToB with psionics, too; just need to find the time to actually sit down and flesh out True Psychic Warrior (10 level, full BAB, 8/10 manifesting with access to Crashing Wave, Diamond Mond, Giant's Grip, and Setting Sun) which will sort of center around Telekintec Maneuverer, sort of a psionic/ToB Master of the Unseen Hand, executing strikes with its mind, etc. In the mean time, I've got the psionic adaptation of my soldier base class and the Soulsword swordsage variant.

I'll definitely keep mulling on ways to combine ToB and XPH, and if you've got any other feats/variants/prestige class ideas in that vein, I'd be happy to have the help.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

3. - Top - End - #63

Default Tome of Tactics / Chapter 4 / True Psychic Warrior

TABLE 4-7: THE TRUE PSYCHIC WARRIOR__________HIT DIE : d8
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known|Powers Known

1st|+1|
    |
    |
    |Forceful|
    |
    |
    |+1 level manifesting class

2nd|+2|
    |
    |
    |Mind Strike|
    |
    |

3rd|+3|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

4th|+4|
    |
    |
    |Crystalline Blows|
    |
    |
    |--

5th|+5|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

6th|+6|
    |
    |
    |Mind Strike (full round)|
    |
    |

7th|+7|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

8th|+8|
    |
    |
    |Psychic Buffer|
    |
    |
    |--

9th|+9|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

10th|+10|
    |
    |
    |Mind Strike (quick-minded)|
    |
    |

[/table]
    Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Climb, Concentration, Escape Artist, Jump, Knowledge (psionics), Martial Lore, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble

TRUE PSYCHIC WARRIOR
    Mind over matter. My mind will prove that you don't matter. Or, if you prefer, my blade will sever your mind from the rest of your matter.
    -- Yeje Rang, a true psychic warrior
    True psychic warriors can be found in a variety of places, from the front lines of a raging battlefield to the calm of a mountain monastery for, while they all share the smae talents, how they choose to use them varies widely. Some prefer to play the part of the traditional psionic character, dealing damage with their powers from afar, while others instantly move to melee range, using their mental abilities solely to augment their strengths and defenses.

BECOMING A TRUE PSYCHIC WARRIOR
    Perhaps the most straightforward path to the true psychic warrior class is the psionic variant of the Soldier class, as this provides both the manifeter level and the study of the Sublime Way needed for entry. The most common path however, involves levels in one of the more powerful psionic classes mixed with levels in an initiator class that depends on the same mental ability score. In rare cases, a psionic character will meet the martial requirements through the use of feats, though this is a significant investment for any such class other than a psychic warrior.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Concentration 9 ranks
    Martial Maneuvers: Must know two martial maneuvers
    Martial Stances: Must know one martial stance
    Special: Manifester level 5th

CLASS FEATURES
    Telekinesis, though a particularly narrow and combat-oriented form of it, is the central feature of the true psychic warrior class, as it embodies their efforts to blend the mental and the martial. A true psychic warrior thinks of their psionic powers primarily as simply giving them additional options and a new range at which they can engage their enemies. Their choice of disciplines, among the most grounded in mundane tactics rather than the spectacular, provides a grounding for their otherwise supernatural abilities.
    Powers Known: At each level except 4th an 8th, a true psychic warrior gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before she added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that he adds those levels of true psychic warrior to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
    If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a true psychic warrior, he must decide to which class she adds the new level of true psychic warrior for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.
    Maneuvers: At each odd level, you gain a new maneuver known from the Crashing Wave, Diamond Mond, Giant's Grip, or Setting Sun disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisites to learn it. You add your full true psychic warrior levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At fourth and eighth level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.
    Stances Known: At 4th and 8th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Crashing Wave, Diamond Mond, Giant's Grip, or Setting Sun disciplines. You must meet a stance's prerequisites to learn it.
    Forceful (Ex): At 1st level, a true psychic warrior becomes able to learn powers he would not normally be able to, adding all powers with the [Force] descriptor to his class's power list.
    Mind Strike (Ex): On of the hallmarks of a true psychic warrior is his ability to initiate strikes with his mind as well as with his sword. At 2nd level, you learn the telekinetic maneuver power, even if you could not normally learn a 4th level power, and also gain the Telekinetic Maneuverer feat.
    full round: At 6th level, you can choose to spend a full round concentrating on the telekinetic maneuver power. If you do, you can make a full attack of bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip attempts instead of single one, using your manifester level as your base attack bonus as defined by the power.
    quick-minded: At 10th level, you can concentrate on the telekinetic maneuver power as move action and still execute the full attack of bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip attempts, allowing you time to also make a physical attack in the same round.
    Crystalline Blows (Su): Much as you have learned to use your martial strikes to enhance your psionic powers, you also channel your psionic might to enhance your martial skills. As a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, you can channel power points into any melee weapon you wield, including a natural attack, as if it were made of deep crystal.
    Psychic Buffer (Su): Forming a protective bubble around yourself with your psionic might, you allow yourself to manifest powers free of reprisals and attack at greater range. As a free action, you can forgo the benefits of your current stance to manifest a power without provoking an attack of opportunity. You may expend your psionic focus in the same action. If you do, the range of your melee attack increast by 10 feet and the base damage dealt by your weapon is force damage instead of its standard damage type until you initiate a stance.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-05-06 at 11:15 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Default True Psychic Warrior PrC draft

Thanks for posting this, playswithfire. I'm excited to see what's sloshing about in your head.

Some off-the-cuff feedback, in no particular order. If you've already covered this ground in a different forum somewhere, tell me to bugger off and I'll leave it be.

Are you invested in the class name? Or are you open to alternatives? I ask, because TPW stands a risk of being confused with the XPH PW basic class.

I like the balance between manifester levels and martial adept maneuvers/stances gained. The incorporation of maneuvers readied as the main benefit to the levels without a boost in manifester level keeps them from being seen as "dead levels." Nice!

Out of curiosity, why ML 5th but only Adept level 1st as the class prerequisite? Since the PrC seems to present an even balance between the two schools, would you accept a requirement for knowing both a 2nd level psionic power and a 2nd level martial maneuver? That would still require the PC to have reached at/about CL 6th before qualifying ...

The crystalline mind class feature is exhilarating -- I like it a lot. That adds greatly to the overall flavour of the class without actually unbalancing it. Given the loss of at least three (if not more) manifester levels' worth of power points, this is a feature that must be used judiciously (as opposed to using actual powers), since overuse can drain the PP reserve in just a few encounters.

Given the class's clear relationship with TK as a central power (which I greatly like), how would you feel about a higher-level class ability that allowed for some application of martial maneuvers at limited range? Something like turning a standard action strike maneuver into a maneuver with 5' of reach (as a full round action) at lower levels with a possible eventual ability to strike at 50' at 10th level (say, +5'/PrC level)? Or something similar to that?

Perhaps not as a class feature, but as a stance ... a PrC-unique ability to not provoke attacks of opportunity when manifesting powers. That'd clearly benefit the class, and would make him stand out as significantly different from other psionic classes ... But you would have to be in that stance to gain the benefit, thereby trading off the direct combat benefits gained from the more traditional stances that other martial adept classes adopt.

I get the connection to the diamond mind school; that seems like it'd be the dominant, default school for the class. Given how few high-level maneuvers you have available, though, I have a hard time believing that you'd be able to progress well in any other school (only one maneuver learned at each level) ... I realize that's a normal PrC design mechanic, but it doesn't exactly sit well. I'm not sure what (if anything) the solution might be. Any thoughts?

As-written, the PrC works within the 3.5 rule-set laid down for the original XPH, back when concentration was a skill and nearly all spellcasters had to devote maximum points in it. Diamond mind strikes rely on the concentration check methodology to produce their effects. Great for what we're going. Might want to discuss the impact of the loss of concentration as a class skill (and how to achieve the desired effect) for anyone taking this PrC into PFRPG system games (~3.75). A look at the mechanisms in Dreamscarred Press's Psionics Unleashed would be worth a sidebar.

Along those lines, the need to invest points into concentration (for the maneuvers and manifesting) means that those two skill points are going to be eaten quickly for any TPW that didn't start his manifesting life as a psion. Would you consider allowing -- as a class feature -- the TPW to replace all maneuvers and checks that would normally be accomplished with a concentration check to be performed with an autohypnosis check instead (in order to keep the psychic flavour of the class)?

I'm sure that this is going to be eating at me all week, so I'll revisit when I become coherent again.

Again, thanks for all the hard work you've been putting in to this project. I'm really eager to try this out and see how this works!

Cheers,

KP

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

I think he put true on the front for a reason.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

6. - Top - End - #66

Default Re: True Psychic Warrior PrC draft

Quote Originally Posted by Kettenpanzer View Post
    Are you invested in the class name? Or are you open to alternatives? I ask, because TPW stands a risk of being confused with the XPH PW basic class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I think he put true on the front for a reason.
    I'm not too invested in the class name; that's just what occurred to me when I thought of it (sort of like how Master's Voice was first called Yakity Yak and War Leader used to be Inspirational Commander), but I haven't thought of anything better yet.

Out of curiosity, why ML 5th but only Adept level 1st as the class prerequisite? Since the PrC seems to present an even balance between the two schools, would you accept a requirement for knowing both a 2nd level psionic power and a 2nd level martial maneuver? That would still require the PC to have reached at/about CL 6th before qualifying ...
    Even with those requirements, it'd still only need one adept level; the only difference is that the adept level would have to be the 5th level instead of the first.

The crystalline mind class feature is exhilarating -- I like it a lot. That adds greatly to the overall flavour of the class without actually unbalancing it. Given the loss of at least three (if not more) manifester levels' worth of power points, this is a feature that must be used judiciously (as opposed to using actual powers), since overuse can drain the PP reserve in just a few encounters.

Given the class's clear relationship with TK as a central power (which I greatly like), how would you feel about a higher-level class ability that allowed for some application of martial maneuvers at limited range? Something like turning a standard action strike maneuver into a maneuver with 5' of reach (as a full round action) at lower levels with a possible eventual ability to strike at 50' at 10th level (say, +5'/PrC level)? Or something similar to that?
    I actually considered doing something like that at 8th level, but realized it had no defense boosting abilities. I also thought about trying to incorporate the ability to gain range into what become crystalline blows, but neither felt that right.

Perhaps not as a class feature, but as a stance ... a PrC-unique ability to not provoke attacks of opportunity when manifesting powers. That'd clearly benefit the class, and would make him stand out as significantly different from other psionic classes ... But you would have to be in that stance to gain the benefit, thereby trading off the direct combat benefits gained from the more traditional stances that other martial adept classes adopt.
    Hmm, maybe I could do something like that at 8th level; I wanted there to be at least one defense-oriented class feature and that one would probably work better than Mind and Body as One, since it doesn't really need two class features that cost power points.

I get the connection to the diamond mind school; that seems like it'd be the dominant, default school for the class. Given how few high-level maneuvers you have available, though, I have a hard time believing that you'd be able to progress well in any other school (only one maneuver learned at each level) ... I realize that's a normal PrC design mechanic, but it doesn't exactly sit well. I'm not sure what (if anything) the solution might be. Any thoughts?
    Yes and no with regards to Diamond Mind's dominance, since the other disciplines have strikes that you can perform with telekinetic maneuver/telekinetic maneuverer. Not sure what to do about the lack of high level maneuvers; I pretty much based its progression on JPM and RKV since the original ToB was the balance point I was looking for.

As-written, the PrC works within the 3.5 rule-set laid down for the original XPH, back when concentration was a skill and nearly all spellcasters had to devote maximum points in it. Diamond mind strikes rely on the concentration check methodology to produce their effects. Great for what we're going. Might want to discuss the impact of the loss of concentration as a class skill (and how to achieve the desired effect) for anyone taking this PrC into PFRPG system games (~3.75). A look at the mechanisms in Dreamscarred Press's Psionics Unleashed would be worth a sidebar.

Along those lines, the need to invest points into concentration (for the maneuvers and manifesting) means that those two skill points are going to be eaten quickly for any TPW that didn't start his manifesting life as a psion. Would you consider allowing -- as a class feature -- the TPW to replace all maneuvers and checks that would normally be accomplished with a concentration check to be performed with an autohypnosis check instead (in order to keep the psychic flavour of the class)?
    Not all that familiar with Pathfinder, so I don't know what all would be involved in converting it for that. I'll take a look, though.

As for Autohypnosis/Concentration... maybe. I'd almost prefer to just give it more skill points, though. I'll think about it.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

Updated True Psychic Warrior (still need to look through Pathfinder psionics)
    Added two new feats: Fan Dance and Weapon Flurry

At this point, compared to the original ToB, I have one more base class, one less discipline and I'm short 7 or 8 feats. And I still need the equipment/Weapons of Legacy section, obviously.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Been awhile since anything new has been posted here. Hope the project continues to expand and improve. I've noticed some things and hope it helps make these classes even better.

Soldier:
    1. Soldier has access to Crashing Wave but is not trained in Swim
    2. The description under ability scores describes it as having only 4 per level, when it has 6.
    3. 5th level seems a little dead. +1 BAB and a new stance. I know stances are powerful by being on all the time but I don't think a whole levels worth is "New Stance!" Not the same as "3rd level spells!"

Mercenary: Been playing this for awhile now. Started at level 1 and I am about to level to 5. Love the class but I have found an inherit flaw in how it plays. It is a Int based class...but not really. See, it gets Int to damage over Strength, leading you to want to dump strength or at least not have it high. Since you use finessable weapons, you obviously want to use Weapon Finesse to use Dex instead.

Here is the problem. When I hit level 4 and could put a point in a stat, I didn't put it in Int. I put it in Dex. See, I get Int to Damage, but not to Attack. To make up for my 3/4 BAB and no strength, I have weapon finesse and Shadow Blade to add Dex to damage when in a Shadow Hand Stance. It is hard to consider a class "Int Based" when Dex is more important to me right now. My guy has 18 Int and 15 Dex right now but if I could do it over I'd have 16/16 and have 1 higher attack and 1 higher Init mod but the same damage. My first +2 stat item I am buying as well? Gloves of Dexterity. It gives me so much more then headband of intellect. +1 to attack, Ac, and Damage while headband will simply add +1 damage and a slightly better mod to my int based skills.

You don't get much out of having High Int that you wouldn't in playing a Swashbuckler, and they get full BAB and weapon finesse for free. I have a couple suggestions to make it a true Int Based class.

1.) Brew up a feat that gives you Int to attack that counts as Weapon Finesse for feat requirements (like Shadow Blade) and give it to Mercenary for free at level 1. This means they can dump Strength but not be punished for it.

2.) At 3rd level, give Mercenary a Ex ability that allows them to add Int to attack in place of strength for finesse weapons. This allows them to be full Int Based but it prevents casters from taking a single dip in it for Int to Rays.

3.) In the same theme as the previous, give them a inherit bonus to hit equal to half Int modifier. This means they still will probably get Weapon Finesse feat but giving yourself more Int isn't a bad thing anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

jguy, why did you take shadow blade if your int is higher than dexterity and you already had weapon finesse? Did you need it for gloom razor feat? If not, I'm sorry to say but it looks like your character is suboptimal for what you're trying to do. It's ok though, you're still a great skill monkey and a competant fighter.

I think what happened is that int seemed like a primary stat when it's actually secondary, playswithfire you should rewrite your ability paragraph. The thing is it has skill points out the wazzoo and a things like tactics giving free skill points so it doesn't need int so much for skills, and most of it's class features push it into melee range which makes dex and con more important.

jguy how much does intelligence affect manuevers and the new discipline's feats? I haven't had a good look at them to know how useful int is outside of class special features. If it doesn't have much effect then you could be on to something.

Also jguy they already have a feat exactly what you're talking about- that's what informed aim is meant to be ( don't know if you can tell or not, but I'm not trying to be offensive here). They only need shadow blade for a prerequisite or if they have nothing better to take.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2011-05-31 at 01:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

ClericGuy

I took Shadow Blade because my DM allowed it to stack with Int to Damage.

The class does present itself as Int based martial class when it is more of a Dex Primary with Int secondary for extra damage and skills.

My intelligence has had no effect on my maneuvers at all so far. It has a class ability later on that allows you to substitute Int for the primary stat of a DC but I haven't gotten to that part and I don't know if I will.

For the feat, Informed Aim replaced Damage rolls but not Attack rolls. This gives you the problem of MADness. A Fighter, or better yet a Warblade, just needs Strength for attack and Damage and can use 2-Handed weapons. For mercenary if you want to use the primary ability, Informed Aim, you need a decent Int with replaces Strength all together for damage, doesn't add. Since it is a finesse weapon you will want Weapon Finesse since early on it is easier to get a higher Dex mod then it is Strength or Int. Also, you can't 2-Hand most finesse weapons except Spiked Chain and Elven Court Blade, all exotic weapons. Also, I don't think Informed Aim allows 1.5 damage on 2 hand weapons either way.

This leads to the MADness. If you want to hit, you need high Dex, but you want High Int for extra damage, and you will need higher Con because you are a martial class with a D8 Hit dice.

I was thinking of going into Two-Weapon Fighting but my primary maneuver line, Life's Blood, requires an open hand almost at all times to use its abilities.
    Last edited by jguy; 2011-05-31 at 10:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Shadowblade stacks Int/Dex/Srength on a merc.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by jguy View Post
    Been awhile since anything new has been posted here. Hope the project continues to expand and improve. I've noticed some things and hope it helps make these classes even better.
    Still working on it, but trying to focus on legacy weapons and a few more feats. As far as classes go, mainly making adjustments based on player/playtest feedback.

Soldier:
    1. Soldier has access to Crashing Wave but is not trained in Swim
    2. The description under ability scores describes it as having only 4 per level, when it has 6.
    3. 5th level seems a little dead. +1 BAB and a new stance. I know stances are powerful by being on all the time but I don't think a whole levels worth is "New Stance!" Not the same as "3rd level spells!"
    1. Wow; complete oversight on my part; thanks
    2. I think I went back and forth and, obviously, the two things got out of sync; thanks again
    3. 16th is the same; I think when I was putting it together, I did consider stances to be a pretty substantial feature, since they can be things like 2d6 sneak attack, so I think I'm ok with a stance being the only feature of a class level, but I'll keep it in mind
    Made the first two changes.

Mercenary: Been playing this for awhile now. Started at level 1 and I am about to level to 5. Love the class but I have found an inherit flaw in how it plays. It is a Int based class...but not really. See, it gets Int to damage over Strength, leading you to want to dump strength or at least not have it high. Since you use finessable weapons, you obviously want to use Weapon Finesse to use Dex instead.

Here is the problem. When I hit level 4 and could put a point in a stat, I didn't put it in Int. I put it in Dex. See, I get Int to Damage, but not to Attack. To make up for my 3/4 BAB and no strength, I have weapon finesse and Shadow Blade to add Dex to damage when in a Shadow Hand Stance. It is hard to consider a class "Int Based" when Dex is more important to me right now. My guy has 18 Int and 15 Dex right now but if I could do it over I'd have 16/16 and have 1 higher attack and 1 higher Init mod but the same damage. My first +2 stat item I am buying as well? Gloves of Dexterity. It gives me so much more then headband of intellect. +1 to attack, Ac, and Damage while headband will simply add +1 damage and a slightly better mod to my int based skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I think what happened is that int seemed like a primary stat when it's actually secondary, playswithfire you should rewrite your ability paragraph. The thing is it has skill points out the wazzoo and a things like tactics giving free skill points so it doesn't need int so much for skills, and most of it's class features push it into melee range which makes dex and con more important.
    You're right. I meant for it to be Int-based, but only 3 class features really reference intelligence and the two that aren't informed aim come at 10th and 20th. In my head, its maneuvers had int-based DC's but that's not true either. I really need to either tweak some features and/or rewrite the abilities section.

You don't get much out of having High Int that you wouldn't in playing a Swashbuckler, and they get full BAB and weapon finesse for free. I have a couple suggestions to make it a true Int Based class.

1.) Brew up a feat that gives you Int to attack that counts as Weapon Finesse for feat requirements (like Shadow Blade) and give it to Mercenary for free at level 1. This means they can dump Strength but not be punished for it.

2.) At 3rd level, give Mercenary a Ex ability that allows them to add Int to attack in place of strength for finesse weapons. This allows them to be full Int Based but it prevents casters from taking a single dip in it for Int to Rays.

3.) In the same theme as the previous, give them a inherit bonus to hit equal to half Int modifier. This means they still will probably get Weapon Finesse feat but giving yourself more Int isn't a bad thing anymore.
    Good suggestions. I've also been working on updating a feat I wrote a while ago for another homebrew class and swashbucklers that was basically a reverse power attack. Reduce your bonus damage to gain half that bonus as to-hit. Obviously mostly helpful when you have sneak attack or wounding weapons, etc. Maybe change informed aim to be in addition to strength instead of replacing it and then give them that feat at around 3rd-5th.

Also, I don't think Informed Aim allows 1.5 damage on 2 hand weapons either way.
    I was thinking of going into Two-Weapon Fighting but my primary maneuver line, Life's Blood, requires an open hand almost at all times to use its abilities.
    I never considered two-handed weapons with Informed aim, but I think I would have it be 1.5 times with a spiked chain, as currently written, but not if I do the rewrite mentioned above.

Life's blood only requires a free hand for its couple of healing maneuvers, I thought, but it's been a while since I read over everything.

Very much appreciate all the feedback and look forward to your thoughts once I update the mercenary.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

jguy Rereading it with a refreshed mind this morning, you're absolutely correct sorry. Yeah it does need some kind of attack boost at an early level when you put it like that.

Playswithfire, the firebrand doesn't have anything 'iconic' at first level in my opinion. It has cautious stance which is nice, but it just came out of left field and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the class. Maybe put it at level 2 and drop follow my lead to level 1? You could move it's level 8 upgrade then to level 7 since at level 8 you gain a 3rd level stance, a second attack, +1 to fort and will and a new 4th level manuever, and 9th will have a bonus feat and a 5th level manuever. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky.

EDIT: ninja'd by plaswithfire. Well I'll get back to you on that soon.

EDIT2: Alright. For your 'reverse power attack' feat, I think it's a good idea, the demented one has a feat like that for his oncoming storm discipline. It'd be ok to give it at level 2 I think. You could also make it an upgrade of informed aim rather than a free feat.
    As for informed aim adding rather than replacing, you could also allow it to apply to ranged weapons that don't add strength. That way melee, thrown, and ranged are all useful.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2011-05-31 at 04:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

ClericGuy

The Lifes Blood healing maneuvers were honestly the main reason I started playing Mercenary in the first place. Immediate action self healing, move action ally healing, and the ability to heal up out of combat infinitely. I became the party healer with a single maneuver and the others love it. No need for Wands of Vigor or Cure Light Wounds. We all have Healing Belts for when someone takes a big hit in combat and I can't get to them. Also, the innuendos are endless. "Let me put my hands on you and you will feel all better...." "You're hurt? Let me touch you and make you feel good..." It goes on endlessly.

As a side note, Weapon Lock for Circling Vulture is a serious MVP. Most fights begin with me going Total Defensive and tanking up front, then stealing the enemies weapon when they miss me. My DM hates it so much but everyone else loves it.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Wow. This is quite impressive.
    Insert witty phrase here.

16. - Top - End - #76

jguy Rereading it with a refreshed mind this morning, you're absolutely correct sorry. Yeah it does need some kind of attack boost at an early level when you put it like that.

EDIT2: Alright. For your 'reverse power attack' feat, I think it's a good idea, the demented one has a feat like that for his oncoming storm discipline. It'd be ok to give it at level 2 I think. You could also make it an upgrade of informed aim rather than a free feat.
    As for informed aim adding rather than replacing, you could also allow it to apply to ranged weapons that don't add strength. That way melee, thrown, and ranged are all useful.
    Mercenary has been updated (both the description paragraph and several class features). Most noticeably, it now gets two feats, including Weapon Savvy, the "reverse power attack" and some of the Tactics abilities now also key off of Intelligence. Abilities section has been rewritten, though, to point out that Dex still trumps Int.

Mayhem and jguy, thoughts on the rewrite?

Weapon Savvy included here for reference as well as a Crusader/Samurai multiclass feat (sort of going through the Completes looking for warrior-type classes that need a boost).

WEAPON SAVVY
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where others swing wildly and trust to their strength to bring victory, should the blow actually land, you have learned to focus on precision.
    Prerequisites: Dex 15, Weapon Finesse, Informed Aim or Insightful Strike class feature
    Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for the round, you may choose to subtract a number from the bonus damage granted by your Informed Aim or Insightful strike to a minimum of 0 and add half that number (rounded down) to attack rolls made with the weapons that qualify for the damage. If you have both class features, you may not use this feat with both features in the same round. The penalty on damage and bonus on attacks apply until your next turn.

BUSHI SPIRIT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your zealous devotion to the code of Bushido makes you a fearsome opponent whom few can stand before unafraid.
    Prerequisites: Daisho Proficiency, Steely Resolve, one Devoted Spirit maneuver
    Benefit: When you demoralize an opponent while in a Devoted Spirit stance, that enemy remains shaken for two rounds instead of one.
    If you have levels in crusader and samurai, those levels stack for the purpose of determining the size of your steely resolve delayed damage pool.
    Your crusader and samurai levels also stack for determining your ability to use Staredown, Mass Staredown and Improved Staredown.
    Additonally, you may multiclass freely between the crusader and samurai classes, though you must remain lawful in order to maintain your samurai abilities as normal.

Playswithfire, the firebrand doesn't have anything 'iconic' at first level in my opinion. It has cautious stance which is nice, but it just came out of left field and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the class. Maybe put it at level 2 and drop follow my lead to level 1? You could move it's level 8 upgrade then to level 7 since at level 8 you gain a 3rd level stance, a second attack, +1 to fort and will and a new 4th level manuever, and 9th will have a bonus feat and a 5th level manuever. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky.
    Follow my lead used to come at first level, i think, and got shuffled when I added rousing speech. Or maybe it was just because I didn't want to copy the bard's inspire courage progression exactly, but moving 8th to 7th also accomplishes that. Let me think about it, but I'll most likely make the change you suggested. On cautious stance, I think it may need re-fluffing (same crunch); I think I was going for a force of personality/ unapproachable/ untouchable thing and it got lost in translation

The Lifes Blood healing maneuvers were honestly the main reason I started playing Mercenary in the first place. Immediate action self healing, move action ally healing, and the ability to heal up out of combat infinitely. I became the party healer with a single maneuver and the others love it. No need for Wands of Vigor or Cure Light Wounds. We all have Healing Belts for when someone takes a big hit in combat and I can't get to them. Also, the innuendos are endless. "Let me put my hands on you and you will feel all better...." "You're hurt? Let me touch you and make you feel good..." It goes on endlessly.
    To be honest, I was thinking of it as an acupuncture/acupressure type thing, so the humor hadn't occurred to me, but I'm glad you're having fun with it. Still waiting to see how effective a Devoted Spirit/Life's Blood Huntsman is as a sort of warrior/shaman. I was a little concerned about the out of combat healing, but since there are a lot of ways to get that, I decided it wasn't unbalancing.

As a side note, Weapon Lock for Circling Vulture is a serious MVP. Most fights begin with me going Total Defensive and tanking up front, then stealing the enemies weapon when they miss me. My DM hates it so much but everyone else loves it.
    Hmm; re-reading it, I may have to nerf Weapon Lock a bit since skill checks are so much easier to boost than attack bonuses. Probably nothing too severe if your DM hasn't ruled it ridiculous, but maybe something to take weapon size / the fact that you're disarming one handed into account.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by raxies94 View Post
    Wow. This is quite impressive.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-06-02 at 09:59 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Damn, I had a long post of what to say but damn forums screwed up and it's gone. Having had to write this a second time I might come off more harsh than intended as it frustrated the heck out of me, but I mean no disrespect.

The table for mercenary has disappeared .

Weapon savvy- aside from spelling error and some inelegant wording it's good.
    Bushi spirit- Seems fine.

Firebrand- At first glance, follow my lead and inspire courage seem similar, but on closer inspection it is much more limited and doesn't use the same or similar mechanics at all since it's basically an aura. So in my opinion it's different enough( supposed to be a compliment ). I noticed you've neglected to list a range for this ability, perhaps 30ft to put it inline with similar effects?
    Cautious stance is good, just that at level 1 there aren't many enemies using touch attacks.

Huntsman- Comparing it to the tome of battle classes I think it's too good. Full BAB, 2 good saves, 6 skills, good stance progression and nearly as many manuevers as warblade I think it's a bit much. It seems that you've tried to push to many concepts together without much direction. You could lower BAB to average, which would make it the unlikely combo role of skill monkey/tank. Even with a reduced BAB it would still be a solid tier 3, and I think it would help define it's role somewhat.

Soldier- It's nearly as tanky as the crusader yet so much more flexible. It should do fine with 4 skills per level.

Mercenary- Does it really need so many skill points? Factotum and beguiler have 6, they do alright. Mercenaries are able to get good use out of mundane equipment, and outside of stealth skills and search/gather info they don't really need a whole lot of skills especially since their intelligence bonus should net them a decent amount.
    I haven't looked into tactics abilities yet, I'll tell you what I think in a while.

jguy, how has your mercenary doing with skill points? It must have a truck load of them. Also what classes are the rest of your party?
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2011-06-02 at 07:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

I have several questions:

Why did you allow psionic soldiers to learn a third discipline if they had the psionic subtype?

Why have the Huntsman's animal companion be only half a druid's? It seems more like a liability than a help in combat.
    I understand it's the same as a standard ranger, but I think an alternative like the Pathfinder Ranger is good. Not all Rangers want a pet.
    My extended signature.
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

19. - Top - End - #79

ClericGuy

Honestly at times I feel like I might need more skillpoints. It was nice being able to customize what kind of Mercenary my guy is by selecting which skills he has maxed out and can fill in holes the party doesn't have. I get 13 skills per level, with +4 Int and being Human. Funny enough, I have maxed search but I didn't put any in disable device because my guy is more an apothecary then a trap finder.

I modeled my guy after Fidelus from the Codex Alera books. Most of my skills are put in perception, hiding, social skills, and knowledge of the general population. I could have maxed out UMD but I didn't want to go that route. More of a RP thing than anything else.

My Party consists of me, the crazy old man Mercenary, a Dragonwrought Kobold Druid who summons Badgers, I mean lizards, a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Dragonfire Adept, and a Crossbow based Ranger who really hates Bugs. We play really well together and the Dragonfire Adept is really good at Debuffing with entangling breath. The ranger could use a little power boost but that is mostly because we are in a castle right now and archery is hard in tight corridors.

For Weaponlock, a useful adjustment would be to give 2-handed weapons a +4 to the DC to disarm them to take into account the tighter grip. I don't know the rules for larger weaponry but increasing the DC by 2 or 4 per size wouldn't be out of the ordinary. I do hope to keep it Slight of Hand based because it is such a underused skill and makes disarming a good battle tactic.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I think as well that the Huntsman might be a bit too powerful, although I do think that it might just seem like a very Minmaxed class.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2011-06-02 at 10:54 AM.
    My extended signature.

21. - Top - End - #81

Damn, I had a long post of what to say but damn forums screwed up and it's gone. Having had to write this a second time I might come off more harsh than intended as it frustrated the heck out of me, but I mean no disrespect.
    Been there. Hate having to rewrite things because of technical glitches.

The table for mercenary has disappeared .

Weapon savvy- aside from spelling error and some inelegant wording it's good.
    Bushi spirit- Seems fine.
    Uh, yeah; bad copy-paste. I wrote a small program so that I can write everything in a sort of shorthand and have it be converted to HTML or forum format and I apparently skipped the table when I copied the result.

Spelling error? I caught that I saw widely when I meant wildly. Did I get something else wrong I'm not seeing. As for the wording, yeah, it's based on the wording of power attack, but it could probably use some polish.

Firebrand- At first glance, follow my lead and inspire courage seem similar, but on closer inspection it is much more limited and doesn't use the same or similar mechanics at all since it's basically an aura. So in my opinion it's different enough( supposed to be a compliment ). I noticed you've neglected to list a range for this ability, perhaps 30ft to put it inline with similar effects?
    Cautious stance is good, just that at level 1 there aren't many enemies using touch attacks.
    I guess I figured that if they were attacking the same character as you or being subjected to the same reflex save, they'd be pretty nearby, but I guess not always. Capping at 30 ft. makes sense.

Not a whole lot of touch attacks no, but never to early to start dodging ray spells.

Huntsman- Comparing it to the tome of battle classes I think it's too good. Full BAB, 2 good saves, 6 skills, good stance progression and nearly as many manuevers as warblade I think it's a bit much. It seems that you've tried to push to many concepts together without much direction. You could lower BAB to average, which would make it the unlikely combo role of skill monkey/tank. Even with a reduced BAB it would still be a solid tier 3, and I think it would help define it's role somewhat.
    I think as well that the Huntsman might be a bit too powerful, although I do think that it might just seem like a very Minmaxed class.
    Admittedly, it is sort of a ranger/scout/barbarian hybrid, which may have led to giving it too many/disjointed abilities. In terms of maneuvers, compared to warblade, it ends up with 1 less maneuver known, 1 less readied, 3 more stances known, one less discipline available and a worse recovery mechanism, so I admit he probably does come out ahead. I like the idea of a 3/4 BAB d12 tank/skillmonkey, but I want huntsman to be full BAB so that there's a 3/4 and full BAB class for each mental stat. What if I cut it down to 2 skill points per level. Then he's either the sort of hulking, dumb wilderness dweller or he can take Street Smarts to bump up his skill points. Does that bring it more into balance or just make it even more convoluted?

Soldier- It's nearly as tanky as the crusader yet so much more flexible. It should do fine with 4 skills per level.
    Yeah, I think I game him 6 so that there wouldn't be a repeated hit die/skill point pairing, but that's kind of a silly reason, so I'll probably cut him down to 4, yeah. Also makes one less thing I have to change for the psionic adaptation.

Mercenary- Does it really need so many skill points? Factotum and beguiler have 6, they do alright. Mercenaries are able to get good use out of mundane equipment, and outside of stealth skills and search/gather info they don't really need a whole lot of skills especially since their intelligence bonus should net them a decent amount.
    I haven't looked into tactics abilities yet, I'll tell you what I think in a while.
    Honestly at times I feel like I might need more skillpoints. It was nice being able to customize what kind of Mercenary my guy is by selecting which skills he has maxed out and can fill in holes the party doesn't have. I get 13 skills per level, with +4 Int and being Human. Funny enough, I have maxed search but I didn't put any in disable device because my guy is more an apothecary then a trap finder.
    The 8 skill points was partially based on my mistakenly thinking that scout was also an Int-based class with 8 per level, partly on, again, avoiding a repeated hit die/skill point pairing and partly because I wanted there to be a martial adept with a lot of skills. I wouldn't really mind cutting it to 6, but it doesn't seem to be too unbalancing. jguy, does your DM happen to post on this forum? I'd be interested in how the class looks/feels from his perspective.

I have several questions:

1. Why did you allow psionic soldiers to learn a third discipline if they had the psionic subtype?

2. Why have the Huntsman's animal companion be only half a druid's? It seems more like a liability than a help in combat.
    I understand it's the same as a standard ranger, but I think an alternative like the Pathfinder Ranger is good. Not all Rangers want a pet.
    1. During one of the rewrites, I decided to give psionic characters a boost when playing a psychic soldier and dragon/draconic characters a boost when playing an arcane firebrand, mainly because it seemed interesting. If pressed, I'd probably fluff it as those races being the ones most likely to take the adaptation or who originated it.
    2. I wanted it to have some sort of bonded animal, if only to have something tougher than a purchased mount for use with the Twin Spirit maneuvers, but I thought a full druid AC would be a it much. With a bit of effort (Natural Bond feat, e.g.), it can also be made more formidable on its own. That said, I'm not all that familiar with Pathfinder; what's the alternative they offer?

For Weaponlock, a useful adjustment would be to give 2-handed weapons a +4 to the DC to disarm them to take into account the tighter grip. I don't know the rules for larger weaponry but increasing the DC by 2 or 4 per size wouldn't be out of the ordinary. I do hope to keep it Slight of Hand based because it is such a underused skill and makes disarming a good battle tactic.
    I was thinking along those lines; basically bringing in some of the normal modifiers for disarming (+4 for two-handed, +4 per size category to the DC) and possibly making it so that you only end up holding the weapon if it's light or one-handed or if you have both hands free, if only to avoid confusion about wielding a two-handed weapon in one hand. It will definitely remain a Sleight of Hand check.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-06-02 at 05:22 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by playswithfire View Post
    Been there. Hate having to rewrite things because of technical glitches.
    Spelling error? I caught that I saw widely when I meant wildly. Did I get something else wrong I'm not seeing. As for the wording, yeah, it's based on the wording of power attack, but it could probably use some polish.
    Search 'weapnss.'

I guess I figured that if they were attacking the same character as you or being subjected to the same reflex save, they'd be pretty nearby, but I guess not always. Capping at 30 ft. makes sense.
    Actually IIRC some white raven moves are out to 60ft, on retrospect 30ft seems limited.

Admittedly, it is sort of a ranger/scout/barbarian hybrid, which may have led to giving it too many/disjointed abilities. In terms of maneuvers, compared to warblade, it ends up with 1 less maneuver known, 1 less readied, 3 more stances known, one less discipline available and a worse recovery mechanism, so I admit he probably does come out ahead. I like the idea of a 3/4 BAB d12 tank/skillmonkey, but I want huntsman to be full BAB so that there's a 3/4 and full BAB class for each mental stat. What if I cut it down to 2 skill points per level. Then he's either the sort of hulking, dumb wilderness dweller or he can take Street Smarts to bump up his skill points. Does that bring it more into balance or just make it even more convoluted?
    Yeah it's a tough one. I was going to suggest lower HD, but then that's just a ranger- not that that's a problem. Skill points, well then there's warblade, barbarian, and crusader to fit the big dumb brute archetype.

The 8 skill points was partially based on my mistakenly thinking that scout was also an Int-based class with 8 per level, partly on, again, avoiding a repeated hit die/skill point pairing and partly because I wanted there to be a martial adept with a lot of skills. I wouldn't really mind cutting it to 6, but it doesn't seem to be too unbalancing.
    Oh it isn't unbalancing, it's just too much compared to rogue, factotum, beguiler, and scout. Admitedly rogue and scout are pretty obsolete though.

2. I wanted it to have some sort of bonded animal, if only to have something tougher than a purchased mount for use with the Twin Spirit maneuvers, but I thought a full druid AC would be a it much. With a bit of effort (Natural Bond feat, e.g.), it can also be made more formidable on its own. That said, I'm not all that familiar with Pathfinder; what's the alternative they offer?
    Here, and here, see hunter's bond and nature bond.
    Substitute muscle memory for favoured enemy, should be interesting.
    To mirror the domain thing, you have a chosen discipline granting you extra manuever known and readied slots, say one of each. The granted manuever known could be chosen at the start of the day from the chosen discipline.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2011-06-02 at 09:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Search 'weapnss.'
    Ah! Thanks; for some reason I wasn't seeing it. Fixed.

Actually IIRC some white raven moves are out to 60ft, on retrospect 30ft seems limited.
    I'm fine with either, since it'll mostly be redundant except for archers and large area effects. Let's go with 60.

Yeah it's a tough one. I was going to suggest lower HD, but then that's just a ranger- not that that's a problem. Skill points, well then there's warblade, barbarian, and crusader to fit the big dumb brute archetype.
    True. I wonder how well a huntsman would work with d8. Ranger always felt a bit flimsy as a frontliner with d8, but he didn't have Life's Blood healing maneuvers which seem to be pretty effective. And it does fit with someone who survives in the wild by being clever (skill points) and prepared for anything (most stances) rather than toughness. Might have to whip up a few characters and test it out, but that may be the solution.

Oh it isn't unbalancing, it's just too much compared to rogue, factotum, beguiler, and scout. Admitedly rogue and scout are pretty obsolete though.
    Hmm, I guess since factotums are supposed to be the most versatile of characters, it's a bit odd for mercenary to have more skill points. I'll have to spend some time seeing how the mercenary stacks up against factotum and make a decision.

Here, and here, see hunter's bond and nature bond.
    Substitute muscle memory for favoured enemy, should be interesting.
    To mirror the domain thing, you have a chosen discipline granting you extra manuever known and readied slots, say one of each. The granted manuever known could be chosen at the start of the day from the chosen discipline.
    I think hunter's bond would work better than nature bond, but I think I'm also gonna try to come up with my own. Thanks for the links.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-06-02 at 10:34 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

In my experience with the huntsman and the one combat situation I got into (I love it by the way) I never was directly involved, and so never took damage even as I went the archer route (Iron Rain) and wiped out 32 mook archers that would have decimated the party (Hail of arrows with 150d6 or something retarded like that). So I can't attest to it needing the HP, but as I doubled as front line TWF(Swordbow + Luckblade), Id say it needs the d10. Feel free to drop it, just my two cent. On and this was lv 17.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

I agree with elfstone, d8 is too low and it would make it too similar to the swordsage.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I think dropping Skill points on huntsman to 4 is fine really. I don't think that it would make it much weakers really. It's on the high end of tier 3 in my opinoin and it will take a lot to drop it to the middle, since as I said you have either very good or very medicore abilitys on it.
    Also you put placeholder's in the disipline descriptions for Iron rain and Twin Spirit, have you got descriptions for them yet?
    I mostly think this because when I make homebrew, I often do as much as I can to make it set out like WOTC material.

I like the option for the animal companion as well.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2011-06-04 at 08:10 AM.
    My extended signature.

27. - Top - End - #87

Alright. Updates based on feedback:
    Huntsman is now a d10 and can choose to gain some DR/- instead of its animal companion. I also put Muscle Memory back to a previous version that I think got lost when my computer died a while ago. Basically it's an attack bonus and dodge bonus instead of an attack and damage bonus. Since he gets Wisdom to damage, I think I like this version.
    Firebrand now has Follow my Lead at level 1 and cautious stance (with a bit of explanation) at level 2. I left the first increases to Follow my Lead at 8th, though, just to avoid having two levels with no class features (as distinct from maneuvers/stances).

EDIT:
    Also you put placeholder's in the disipline descriptions for Iron rain and Twin Spirit, have you got descriptions for them yet?
    Iron Rain and Twin Spirit aren't my disciplines. I included the description by the author of Twin Spirit and gave him credit in parentheses. For Iron Rain, I guess I could message the author(s) and get their approval.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-06-04 at 08:41 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I also have a question about the tactics class feature, it says you add int for the abilitys when the class has more focus on wisdom. Why?#
    Also, you claim that Huntsman is a mesh or Barbarian, ranger and scout, yet there is nothing that indicates scout.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2011-06-04 at 11:41 AM.
    My extended signature.

29. - Top - End - #89

I also have a question about the tactics class feature, it says you add int for the abilitys when the class has more focus on wisdom. Why?#
    Also, you claim that Huntsman is a mesh or Barbarian, ranger and scout, yet there is nothing that indicates scout.
    Mercenary is the intelligence-based class. All of its abilities are INT-based.

Yeah, the scout thing may have mainly been in my head and not really translated to the finished product other than basically blindsense/blindsight and a bit of the fluff.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

SOrry about the question before, I was confusing Mercenary and Huntsman.
    Also you mention Energy Adaption, what book is it from? I can't find any mention of it on the wizards feat index here.
    Did you mean Energy Admixture or Subsitution?
    My extended signature.