New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Star Trek: Trevelyan

"There's a reason there are no fat engineers." Brad says, mentally adding better environmental controls to the list of things that could be improved about the shuttles. Long experience in shuttlecraft had made him used to the cold chill of space, so much that he hardly noticed it, unless on a long mission, or someone reminded him of it.

"I think that the shuttlecraft is an underutilized tool. Every ship of the fleet has a launch bay, but these things are only really designed to ferry down away teams or supplies when transporters aren't useable. Seems like a waste of deck space, especially when we have four shuttles." Brad mused. "Now if we had a better shuttle, I'm sure its usage would more than make up for the deck space."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Perhaps one with a better weapons package" T'jen muses as he waits for take-off.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

"Once we are finished with this mission I will assess any plans you have for this theoretical shuttle. For now, we are all assembled so at your will Mr. Chertan."
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

"Roger, sir." Brad requests permission to depart from the Trevelyan, and takes off as soon as he is given leave to. He carefully pilots the shuttle out, around the moon, and down to the landing area. He keeps an eye on his sensors to ensure no surprises sneak up on him.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

Brad flies the shuttle like a true master, skirting above the cloud level for most of the flight before gracefully bringing the shuttle down on the mesa. The rim of the concave top hides the shuttle from sight. The steep slopes of the mesa extend below you.

Towards the south, you can see your path to the energy signature. About a kilometre along that path, a mountainous ridge runs roughly parallel to this path and continues on for about another 5km. You can't, from this position, see any particular structure or unusual feature at the point of the energy signature.

The scanners have revealed several lifeforms in and around that mountain range. One of the fast-moving clusters of lifeforms was moving north of the mesa at an average of 40km/hour.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

T'jen waits for the captain to disembark, following right behind him with phaser holstered but easily accessible and eyes scanning the area for potential threats.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sir, do you want me to join the away team, or stay with the shuttle?" Brad starts to work through the power down sequence while waiting for his answer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"Come with us, in an emergency the Trevelyan can move into direct orbit and beam us out, no use wasting your other talents sat in the shuttle."
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

"As ordered, sir." Brad finishes up the shutdown procedure, programming the unlock commands into his communicator, notifying the Captain of the command as well. Without one of the two of them, the shuttle would be useless, unless someone with a good deal of skill hacking starfleet systems spent some time with it.

Checking that his phaser and communicator were secure, Brad formed up with the rest of the away team.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Given that it is probably fairly warm out, Roe leaves his jacket in the shuttle. He checks that his tricorder is calibrated correctly and that his phaser is set to stun. Finally, he pulls his communicator out and flips it open. Before signaling the ship, he looks to the Captain.

"Shall I make sure we can communicate with the ship, Sir? I doubt the locals will be able to detect our signal."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"Given that they are our emergency way off the planet, I would say yes, it would be preferred."
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-01-20 at 05:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

"Aye, Sir.".........*flip noise*............ "Roe to Trevelyan...."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

13. - Top - End - #43

"Commander Raynes here. Mr Kelso suggested we launch a relay beacon in order to communicate with you from our current position. He is insistent that it can't be detected unless it's in use.

Was there something that you needed, Lt. Commander?"
    Last edited by Arstense; 2011-01-20 at 07:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

"Verifying comm status. Do you have a fix on our location?"
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

15. - Top - End - #45

"Fix confirmed. Transporters and helm on standby."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

"Roger. Roe out." Eugene turns towards the assembled away team, drawing his tricorder as he does so. "Ready to go, Sir."

He begins scanning, trying to detect the fast moving life forms and doing a general scan for any other abnormalities.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

17. - Top - End - #47

The tricorder's range doesn't extend out to the mountains, so Eugene can't currently pick up any lifesigns. There are no anomalies, either.

The shuttle is carrying some climbing and abseiling apparatus, so making your ways down the steep slopes of the mesa should be not be difficult.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

"Mr. Chertan, Mr. Roe, you'll go first to secure the ground. The good doctor will accompany me after that, and Mr. T'jen will bring up the rear after assuring our safe descent. Phasers on stun setting one."

Sharec takes a moment to absorb the feeling of the natural heat on his skin, the temperature was reminiscent of Vulcan and it was a pleasant sensation compared to the artificial heat generated the environmental controls in his quarters.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Brad nods and checks his phaser's setting. He takes the lead, paying as close attention as he can to his surroundings.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Roe keeps his phaser holstered and focuses on his tricorder, following close behind Brad.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

T'jen quickly checks that his phaser is set to the right setting and follows the group. He frowns a bit at the heat, an unpleasant reminder of certain parts of his childhood on Vulcan, but otherwise displays nothing.

22. - Top - End - #52

It's hot and dry, but the descent is fairly easy. At least, it's fairly easy for members of the galactic elite.

As each of you reaches the bottom, you feel the brown sand of the desert floor shift just a little under your weight.

The path to the signature now lies before you, as well as the path to that parallel mountain range which contained lifesigns. No tricorder is currently picking up those fast-moving lifesigns.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Captain, I'm uncertain what to make of this. We picked up life signs, but the tricorders now pick up nothing. So, I'd either say those living beings are no longer showing any life signs OR we can't pick them up either because something is blocking it or they're too far away."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sir, what's the primary target of our investigation? The life signs or the power source?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"The anti-matter generators. It is logical to assume that they are the root necessity for the advanced vehicles we detected, and in our current situation we are much more likely to keep up with a stationary generator than a fast moving vehicle.

While I personally find the temperature agreeable, if anyone begins to feel fatigued inform Dr. Newsreader immediately."

And with that Sharec will set off, Phaser holstered but in easy reach.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-01-27 at 05:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

T'jen nods and follows, keeping his eyes open and scanning the area for any trouble.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sarah follows as well, paying attention to any tri corder readings, but mostly focusing on the rest of the crew and if they're showing any signs of fatigue or illness.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Brad nods to the captain and continues on his way, being very cautious.

29. - Top - End - #59

The walk across the desert is hot and uncomfortable, but not as bad as might be expected. For the two Vulcans, it's not as harsh as their homeworld.

After 1km of travel, you are now walking with the mountain range to your left. At the base of the mountain, there's some sort of... small dust cloud? Those with tricorders quickly confirm that the dust cloud's signature conforms to that of those fast moving lifesigns. They are coming towards you.

0.1km further along your path, there is a rock formation approximately 2x3 meters across and 2.4m high. There is also a scattering of smaller rocks in the vicinity that could be used for cover. You could, if you wanted to, make it before the lifesigns arrive.
    Last edited by Arstense; 2011-01-27 at 06:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Sir." T'jen says, pointing at the mountain, "Inbounds."