New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion II: No Longer Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg Mage View Post
    Back to the Gravity vs. Creation and Autochthonia situation, what exactly is the Omphalos? Can't look it up right now, and seems like one of those things that the wiki won't have, but I assume it has something to do with preventing another Fae invasion.
    Well, for one Omphalos is just a plain English word; it's not a made-up fantasy word, so that helps. But, more specifically, it's the center-point of Creation's geomancy. In Return of the Scarlet Empress, the Ebon Dragon breaks the Omphalos so he can corrupt the whole world and remake it in his image. This has the side effect of shutting down any natural defenses Creation has against the Fair Folk.

Which, as was humorously stated earlier, the book states that, ironically, this will probably be a good thing for Creation, as the Fair Folk are more likely to fight against the Ebon Dragon than anything else.

It bears mentioning that breaking the Omphalos involves killing Pasiap, the Dragon of Earth, and exploding the Imperial Mountain in the process. So, fixing it is rather difficult.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Oh, hey, it's those guys I used to make models of. Waitaminute, Shadey? Is that you?"

Predicted response from Autobot.
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2011-02-02 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    It bears mentioning that breaking the Omphalos involves killing Pasiap, the Dragon of Earth, and exploding the Imperial Mountain in the process. So, fixing it is rather difficult.
    Which is where Gethamane comes in, with it's super-artifact Reality Engines intended as a backup Elemental Pole of Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, hey, it's those guys I used to make models of. Waitaminute, Shadey? Is that you?"
    I like to think all the other Primordials had silly nicknames for Autochthon, rather than the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Gethamane
    Germaine?

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Omphalos is the mountain above the Elemental Pole of Earth. It is also called Mount Meru (for the city), the Imperial Mountain (because the Scarlet Empress likes calling things her own) and "HOLY HELL IT IS HUGE" (because it is huge).

Pasiap is not the fetich soul of Gaia (at least, not definitively). There is no concrete information as to the identity of the fetich soul of Gaia. It might not even be one of the six named ones.
    Six? There's only five Elemental Dragons. Is there another Gaian(Gaic?) Soul I don't know about?

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Six? There's only five Elemental Dragons. Is there another Gaian(Gaic?) Soul I don't know about?
    Gnosis, the comet.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ettin in the Playground

Gethamane. There's a Hekatoncheires and lots of Darkbrood and occasionally ghosts, and nothing to eat but fungus, and human sacrifice, and it's generally a lovely place. Also, it's connected to the Underworld. Also, there's a hidden Yu-Shan gate there, in case the backup Elemental Pole of Earth didn't give the Neverborn enough reasons to want it invaded. It's one of the worst places in Creation to be a mortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I was talking about the (Maximum 8) cap that you had in the Charm when you already had a limit of (Occult + Degree) set by the Charm. Having an upper limit for the Charm isn't a bad idea, its just that caps set by other traits are more interesting than flat caps and allow a character to grow stronger over time, making the Charm useful even when a character has later Charms to draw on.

A coordinated attack made by hundreds sounds like an Essence 10 Solar Charm. Malfeas must have felt like a pincushion.
    Agreed, on all counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like to think all the other Primordials had silly nicknames for Autochthon, rather than the other way around.
    "BE QUIET, RUSTBOY! I'M SLAUGHTERING SOLARS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    It's one of the worst places in Creation to be a mortal.
    How is it that different from the rest of Creation?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Gethamane
    Legerdemain?

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    You don't get brainwashed from birth and learn immediately that the boogyman is real and wants to eat you. Oh, wait, that sounds like several places.

Alright, it is among the worst places to be mortal.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Most of Creation has plentiful and delicious harvests of a wide variety of foods. Gethamane has fungus.
    Most of Creation sacrifices expensive things to the gods. Gethamane sacrifices people to a garden.
    Most of Creation has ghosts, but not a direct 24/7 passage to the Underworld. Even Shadowlands have sunlight to keep the ghosts down.
    Most of Creation has powerful-ish gods and Terrestrial Exalts that care about protecting mortals, or at least care about their source of prayer. Gethamane has a couple weak and insane gods who do nothing but keep the air circulating and occasionally drive people mad. And sometimes Jadeborn, who try to stay the hell away from Gethamane because of the Hekatonkhires there.
    Yeah, the Hekatonkhires? Most of Creation doesn't have those. Did I mention that it was born from the hatred of the first Primordial ever to die? And that it's Essence 8?
    Darkbrood. DAAAAARKBROOOOOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gnosis, the comet.
    That's not definitive, though. The only word we have on that is the Magnus.

Pasiap is not the fetich soul of Gaia (at least, not definitively). There is no concrete information as to the identity of the fetich soul of Gaia. It might not even be one of the six named ones.
    Pasiap is definitely not the fetich soul of Gaia. One of the endings of RotSE has the Emerald Mother showing up after Pasiap is killed.

Yeah, the Hekatonkhires? Most of Creation doesn't have those. Did I mention that it was born from the hatred of the first Primordial ever to die? And that it's Essence 8?
    Vodak is a good example of that thing I was saying earlier about behemoths sometimes being more powerful then their Essence would indicate. He ate more than 10,000 Dragon-Bloods when he attacked. That's, what, most of the Terrestial population of the Blessed Isle?
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Pasiap is definitely not the fetich soul of Gaia. One of the endings of RotSE has the Emerald Mother showing up after Pasiap is killed.
    (insert obligatory comment about Return of the Scarlet Empress not being canon here)
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

The fetish soul of Gaia is whichever one the ST chooses.

That said, Pasiap seems to be a negative.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Vodak is a good example of that thing I was saying earlier about behemoths sometimes being more powerful then their Essence would indicate. He ate more than 10,000 Dragon-Bloods when he attacked. That's, what, most of the Terrestial population of the Blessed Isle?
    He did. And he can split them off and sic them on enemies. Because what's the one thing a behemoth needs? The ability to field an army of exalts. No way that could be overpowered.

Though it's only half to a third the Terrestrial population of the Isle. They've got 20 or 30k DBs there (can't remember which).
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    The fetish soul of Gaia is whichever one the ST chooses.
    The fetish soul of Gaia is obviously Luna, considering how much they shack up.
    I use black for sarcasm.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, fetish/fetich. How much amusement you cause...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Oh, fetish/fetich. How much amusement you cause...
    Not as much as Sol having a specialty of Ride (Luna +1), though.

It's canon!

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah. XD

Yeah, whoops.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    He did. And he can split them off and sic them on enemies. Because what's the one thing a behemoth needs? The ability to field an army of exalts. No way that could be overpowered.

Though it's only half to a third the Terrestrial population of the Isle. They've got 20 or 30k DBs there (can't remember which).
    ...seriously. xD
    Oh, Exalted... ♥♥♥♥♥
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by meschlum View Post
    High dot Behemoths are nice for high soak, but that's not an option here.

Size mutations are extremely good, I agree. The fur/scales/tough skin series of mutations can add a little soak, but not all that much.

Since you have a Fair Folk helping you out, have you considered gossamer armor? Barding for your pet, so it's not useable by anyone else (which helps make GMs happy). Gossamer armor has 0 mobility and fatigue penalties, which is nice, and is easy for Fair Folk to make at perfect level (for an extra +3/+3 soak, since you can't improve fatigue and mobility). Given the effective weight and origin, you could describe it as a protective aura or some such rather than mundane armor.

Mutations that are often ignored are Derangements: "<Player Character> loves me and everything <he> does is for my own good." is, if not essential, at least useful when dealing with bus sized creatures.

Depending on the degree of Godzilla-dom, look at Dragon's Breath for an Abomination granting exactly what's in the name.

If you want to enable massive shenanigans, give it Essence Channeler and teach it TMA. Plus, that lets it fuel its own powers more easily.

Drifting towards more Fair Folk involvement, an Adjuration or two (created from the creature's Staff Grace, of course) can give a few nice extras:

- Knife Hand Dream gives +5 damage at Essence 3 (and Aggravated damage at higher essence)
    - Opalescent Gossamer Raiment adds decent amounts of soak (grace and essence based, though)
    - Armament of Flesh gives decent upgrades to natural weapons

This requires a few commited motes, but that's what Essence Channeler is for!
    That's a lot of stuff again. Thanks! Though if these couple posts have been the "simple" ways, I'm kind of scared to think of the complicated ones .

Anyway, personally, I'm trying to keep future Fae involvement to a minimum, to save the ST headaches. Still, I might just ask her if she could read this stuff and say if any of this is kosher.

This seems awesome. Especially the possibility of (what looks like) a giant wolf performing martial arts.
    You're more right than you know. The original inspiration for the monster is agile enough to literally do breakdance moves .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-02-03 at 05:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Any advice on the most suicidal creature to summon with Thaumaturgy? I was going to go with a Storm Serpent but their essence is sadly just a smidge high for the limits of Beckon (species).
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Any advice on the most suicidal creature to summon with Thaumaturgy? I was going to go with a Storm Serpent but their essence is sadly just a smidge high for the limits of Beckon (species).
    Ice Weasels. They'll tear your goddamn limbs off, and look so very adorable while they do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

It may look like just your everyday corgi, but this is Exalted. It's probably a member of a genetically engineered super-race of First Age corgis with enlightened essence that shoot bone-shurikens and lightning that causes scurvy.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Oddly enough, in my game, one of the characters has a familiar, a dog, who was kidnapped and is being experimented on right now...
    BEEP.

27. - Top - End - #507

RedWizardGuy

Art of Demon Summoning: Beckon Octavian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

28. - Top - End - #508

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    That's a lot of stuff again. Thanks! Though if these couple posts have been the "simple" ways, I'm kind of scared to think of the complicated ones .

Anyway, personally, I'm trying to keep future Fae involvement to a minimum, to save the ST headaches. Still, I might just ask her if she could read this stuff and say if any of this is kosher.
    Happy to help!

Part of the fun to the Fair Folk is that they work a lot like a toolbox - come up with an idea, and there is (almost always) a way to get Fair Folk to do it (more or less well, granted), so even if you don't use them per se, you have a notion of how much effort is involved (from NPCs) in getting what you want.

Raising newly dead Exalts is a bit harder post-errata (ludicrously rather than extremely), and I'm still working on time travel.

29. - Top - End - #509

RedWizardGuy

Wait, how did you find a way to bring someone back from the dead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Bugbear in the Playground

The fetish soul of Gaia is obviously Luna, considering how much they shack up.
    So... Gaia's a chronic masturbator?

Also, I think Gnosis is mentioned as one of her jouten rather than one of her souls.
    My Homebrew