New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion II: No Longer Mortal

Should the number of bonus points God-blooded start with be increased if using the dawn solution errata? Because now everybody will have to spend a few bonus points on Willpower which they wouldn't otherwise. I guess that is why Solars etc now start with 18 bp. You could argue that God-blooded already have enough bonus points, but you would be wrong you can never have enough.

Also, if your talking about trying to balance the different types, you might want to think about Ghost-blooded. It seems Arcanoi are generally less effective than spirit charms and they can have problems trying to regain essence in creation. (On the other hand they are the far cooler than the others so it does balance )
    Last edited by a_humble_lich; 2011-02-06 at 02:30 PM.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by a_humble_lich View Post
    Should the number of bonus points God-blooded start with be increased if using the dawn solution errata? Because now everybody will have to spend a few bonus points on Willpower which they wouldn't otherwise. I guess that is why Solars etc now start with 18 bp. You could argue that God-blooded already have enough bonus points, but you would be wrong you can never have enough.

Also, if your talking about trying to balance the different types, you might want to think about Ghost-blooded. It seems Arcanoi are generally less effective than spirit charms and they can have problems trying to regain essence in creation. (On the other hand they are the far cooler than the others so it does balance )
    If Inheritance is above 3 dots, they have no real need for an extra 3 bp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    So, it's just a name for non-exalted nobles of houses? Then what's the difference with the current set up?
    Pretty much nothing, just removing a statement in SoH that I heard a few people rage at.

Quote Originally Posted by a_humble_lich View Post
    I think they probably have enough, especially if Inheritance is in play. I'll consider it if more people agree, though.

Arcanoi seem decent to me, but I probably haven't read enough spirit charms to judge. I'm considering making different types of Charms cost different numbers of BP; would that be a good ide?

Perhaps explicitly noting that Ghost-Bloods can take the Underworld Cult background to represent general worship of their family line would help (Ghosts and Demons notes that ghosts living in Sijan and Stygia often get that background just from ambient reverence).
    Letting them carry around Essence Tokens would definitely help, so GBs can fill up in the Underworld and use them like fuel tanks when they get back to Creation.
    I feel like Underworld Manse should help somehow, but it still only functions in the Underworld and it's not like there's an arcanoi that lets you count as being in the Underworld.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Pretty much nothing, just removing a statement in SoH that I heard a few people rage at.
    If I remember that statement, it was only directed at Terrestial Halfcastes, which don't make much sense anyways.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Scroll of Heroes says Terrestrial Half-Castes do not exist unless you say otherwise, which is as it should be.

The Blessed Isle is the book that says they exist, among other contradictions.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

Those tables that cropped up in the last thread (the ones showing your Exalt type preferences and whether you wanted to be an ST or not), if anyone wants to use them again, I'd be happy to keep track of them. I read this thread just about every day or two so any tables posted I could copy-paste into Notepad and then edit into the main list (or PM it to Jokashi if the main list is in one of his posts).
    Last edited by ShadowFighter15; 2011-02-06 at 08:13 PM.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

7. - Top - End - #637
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    Those tables that cropped up in the last thread (the ones showing your Exalt type preferences and whether you wanted to be an ST or not), if anyone wants to use them again, I'd be happy to keep track of them. I read this thread just about every day or two so any tables posted I could copy-paste into Notepad and then edit into the main list (or PM it to Jokashi if the main list is in one of his posts).
    Sounds good. Which reminds me
    Updated first post with currently recruiting games. A few really interesting ones going around right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    Last edited by Jokasti; 2011-02-06 at 08:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #638

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    Sounds good.
    Cool. I'll start things off and just add any other tables people post to the notepad document and PM you that occasionally (unless I get lucky enough to be the second poster of the next thread, then we'll just house it there).

Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Cool. I'll start things off and just add any other tables people post to the notepad document and PM you that occasionally (unless I get lucky enough to be the second poster of the next thread, then we'll just house it there).
    I think I already did one. Ehh.

Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

I did this already, but I guess I'll do it again.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think it's about time I stopped lurking and posted here, too :

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savant
    Who wouldn't want to go to the desert though? Cecelyne is hot.

12. - Top - End - #642

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Pretty sure TRD is right. Most STs will let you play your followers if you play them reasonably. But if you're using them as sheep who follow mindlessly... no ST will allow that unless the game is based on mass combat.
    Why wouldn't they? Especially since you can create actual mindless slaves that use Essence with the right charms.

Having an army of 100,000 mortals really isn't that impressive in Exalted.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe not, but you should still bother putting effort into it. Just because they're motal doesn't mean they haven't got a motivation of their own.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

14. - Top - End - #644

I know some of you have done these tables before, but it'll be easier just to have everyone repost their tables rather than trying to dig out the old thread and look for them all there.

Now, to see if I'm right about how to add extra lines to a table.

Interesting pattern with the second choices there.

15. - Top - End - #645

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Maybe not, but you should still bother putting effort into it. Just because they're motal doesn't mean they haven't got a motivation of their own.
    Meh. By default they're extras. The effort you give is basically "I am a divine demigod who trained you and gave you something better."

You really don't have to try very hard. Hell, depending on the pc you probably wouldn't even need to use an Excellency to boost your social attack roll, since their motivations are likely going to be in tune with yours, since they follow the guys who follow you.

It's like saying that a general needs to put effort into getting salutes from and having their orders followed by privates.

Last edited by Mikal; 2011-02-07 at 11:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    Meh. By default they're extras. The effort you give is basically "I am a divine demigod who trained you and gave you something better."

You really don't have to try very hard. Hell, depending on the pc you probably wouldn't even need to use an Excellency to boost your social attack roll, since their motivations are likely going to be in tune with yours, since they follow the guys who follow you.

It's like saying that a general needs to put effort into getting salutes from and having their orders followed by privates.
    Uhm we were talking about Henchman who are Heroic Mortals and thus by definition not Extras. Also as Heroic Mortals they have Heroic Motivations, which while not necessarily opposed to your own aren't likely to be perfectly in tune with yours either.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Uhm we were talking about Henchman who are Heroic Mortals and thus by definition not Extras. Also as Heroic Mortals they have Heroic Motivations, which while not necessarily opposed to your own aren't likely to be perfectly in tune with yours either.
    This.
    I have no objection to your mortal extra followers having motivations of obedience and little personality, but henchmen should be pretty much characters in terms of being their own people.

18. - Top - End - #648

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    We're talking about the followers of Henchmen, who most assuredly are extras.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    We're talking about the followers of Henchmen, who most assuredly are extras.
    No the discussion was about whether your Henchmen would do whatever you say no matter what.

Yes your Henchman's followers are extras. But they are loyal to your Henchman not you. That's why they're your Henchman's followers. Sure if your Henchmen we're mindless automatons(whether metaphorically or literally) it would be a pointless distinction. But they're not, and it's not.

20. - Top - End - #650

NecromancerGuy

An army of 100.000 mortals can be a huge liability on its own (not to mention upkeep costs), you'll likely be expected to deal with massive threats (and blamed for failures). On top of that, these guys can be easily wiped out in a number of ways, if your ST decides you had your fun with your massive army. Alternatively, the circumstances will simply force the army to be required someplace else. You may also find out that due to various circumstances, a retinue of 15 mortal clerks would be much more useful than your army.
    LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

Likewise, need to stop lurking and actually post here!

Also you can probably brainwash your henchmen if that's the sort of guy you are, but that could carry repercussions of its own. (Namely all the problems associated with akuma, and that people know you routinely brainwash your henchmen.)

Last edited by Guancyto; 2011-02-07 at 10:10 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Also you can probably brainwash your henchmen if that's the sort of guy you are, but that could carry repercussions of its own. (Namely all the problems associated with akuma, and that people know you routinely brainwash your henchmen.)
    Of course, that's nothing that a little brainwashing can't solve!

"Hey, you know, this is turning in to one of those plans - the kind where we brainwash anybody that notices that we're brainwashing everybody."
    "It is?"
    "Uh huh. And how do those always end?"
    "The airship is in flames, everybody's dead, and I've lost my hat."
    "That's right. And any plan where you lose your hat is?"
    "A bad plan?"
    "Right again!"
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

not lurking, just updating my table
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #655

Likewise, need to stop lurking and actually post here!

Not really. There are plenty of mind-rape charms that aren't obvious in their effect, especially against a mortals pool. They just become devoted, not mindless automatons.

It's trivially easy for a Solar level exalt to modify a mortal's motivation and intimacies to seem to naturally become in tune with what you want. Even a Heroic Mortal.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2011-02-07 at 10:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Well sure, if you're sneaky. But people who hear the tale of Bob the Mortal are going to say to themselves, 'a year ago Bob wanted to blow up Gem. Now all he wants to do is fan Alice the Solar.' And the bigger the rewriting is, the more they will say that. Maybe it's just how Solars are, but it can make heroic people leery of you even if they're aware you're not a horrible demon.

Also, the more devoted they are, the less likely they are to act outside your orders even when you're busy Limit Breaking and doing so would be a staggeringly good idea. That sort of thing.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2011-02-07 at 10:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, by doing so you basically have to be a monster. A high compassion or temperance character probably isn't going to go around doing that.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-02-07 at 11:16 AM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #658

Well sure, if you're sneaky. But people who hear the tale of Bob the Mortal are going to say to themselves, 'a year ago Bob wanted to blow up Gem. Now all he wants to do is fan Alice the Solar.' And the bigger the rewriting is, the more they will say that. Maybe it's just how Solars are, but it can make heroic people leery of you even if they're aware you're not a horrible demon.

Also, the more devoted they are, the less likely they are to act outside your orders even when you're busy Limit Breaking and doing so would be a staggeringly good idea. That sort of thing.
    Maybe, maybe not. From the Solars POV that might not be, depending. And a Solar who does such things likely would have the POV that someone not following orders is bad.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Troll in the Playground

Well sure, the sort of Solar who would be fine with that would probably also be fine with the drawbacks, yes. But it is a weakness of the approach, even if its users wouldn't acknowledge it as such.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.