New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion II: No Longer Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Given the Ebon Dragon's fascination with antagonism, it doesn't seem a huge leap to have his fetich defined as the purest possible antagonism to himself. He is a shadow, and his core is light to cast that shadow.

It's still unlikely; but kind of a cool theory.
    It was the assumption made by my old 1e ST, back in the day. I don't know if there was anything canonical to back it up at that point.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    The Unconquered Sun was created by he who became Malfeas, at the urging of the Dragon's Shadow.
    No, The Sun was created by the Empyreal Chaos at the urging of the Dragon's Shadow. The Unconquered Sun was created directly by the Dragon's Shadow.

Here is the exact quote:
    The creation of the Daystar gave him the context he needed to focus on the shape of his non-extant nemesis; to capture his derisive, self-righteous sneer and war-machine magnanimity and make them real. From the depths of his empty, wicked darkness, the Shadow of All Things synthesized his absolute polar opposite: a being of light, justice and hope, to be the spirit of the Daystar.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

So I've heard it said that a Lunar is fine just using their claws with Claws of the Silver Moon, and that this is generally equal to most available artifact weapons. I'm probably missing something, but it looks pretty straightforwardly inferior to most options. Comparing to, for example, the Razor Claws, a starting Lunar will have less accuracy and pretty much equivalent damage. And the Razor Claws aren't that uber of a weapon compared to all the Grand-Gore-Whatsits, which seem to just straightforwardly outclass Lunar claws. Am I missing something? Clever application of mutations or the like?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

At the start they simply give +2 to accuracy and you add your strength twice for damage. That's pretty big. At essence 3(which is probably one of the first things you want to get), you instead add your dexterity to accuracy. That's really good. Even before elder essences that's probably +4-5 to accuracy. The next upgrade isn't anything special, just adding another 2 damage/1 to you minimum damage, but I think the absolute best thing about them is that they don't require you to carry around a big honking 'I'm an exalt' sign'. Plus, for 3 motes, they're dirt cheap. Well, 4m,1wp if you aren't using DBT, but really, who does that?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's what I managed to work out for a Night Caste version of Ezio last night. Got stumped when I reached the charms and then realised it was ten past eleven at night. Didn't use Reynard's lists from the first page for simplicity (easiest to leave calculating DVs and such til last IMO). Also, I decided to leave most of the fluff aspects blank for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attributes
    Physical:
    Strength ●●●
    Dexterity ●●●●●
    Stamina ●●●

Social:
    Charisma ●●
    Manipulation ●●
    Appearance ●●●

Mental
    Perception ●●●
    Intelligence ●●●
    Wits ●●●

Abilities
    Caste:
    Athletics: ●●●●
    Awareness: ●●●●●
    Dodge: ●●●●
    Larceny: ●●●
    Stealth: ●●●●

Favoured:
    Melee: ●●●●
    Thrown: ●●
    Linguistics: ● ("There were a couple of French girls in Firenze.")
    Lore: ● (Because of the stupid idea of characters being illiterate without a single dot of this)
    Investigation: ●● (Possibly un-needed but he roughs a few people up for information in Brotherhood and eavesdrops on conversations in both games)

Specialities:
    Stealth - Blending into crowds: ●●
    Larceny - Pick-pocketing: ●●

Virtues (Not sure about Conviction, Temperance and Valor)
    Compassion: ●● (He can't have any more than that or he'd have to constantly fail Compassion rolls to kill anyone, but he's still too caring to have only one dot)
    Conviction: ●●●
    Temperance: ●●
    Valor: ●●

Willpower: ●●●●● ●●
    Essence: ●●

Backgrounds
    Artifact - Hidden Blades: ●●● (still haven't worked out the mechanics for them, but since switchklaves are two dots, I figured a pair of blades based on them would be three dots at least)
    Artifact - Reaper Daiklave (Threw this one in because I had a spare background dot left after the Blades and this next one)
    Resources - The Auditore Villa at Monteriggioni: ●●●● (maybe change this into a manse?)

Seven bonus points spent so far, some in Abilities and a few in Backgrounds. As I said, I got stumped when it came to Charms beyond the obvious (Stealth and/or Melee Excellencies).

Anyone disagree on some points or feel I messed up somewhere? This was done with Anathema, namely the new Solar template for the Dawn Solution's character creation rules.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

To be honest, the one dot of Linguistics as a Favored ability, or the dot of Lore as the same seems a bit of a waste. You don't put all your dots in Caste and Favored abilities, you know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #97

Fair point, but I got stumped on what else to make a Favoured Ability.

EDIT: Plus I was already spending bonus points to get the dots in those. Might've put too many in the Caste Abilities but I wasn't sure how far to go without going overboard.
    Last edited by ShadowFighter15; 2011-01-20 at 12:22 AM.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    Abilities
    Lore: ● (Because of the stupid idea of characters being illiterate without a single dot of this).
    It's really not. Many of Creations mortal residents don't go to school, or have standardized learning. Sort of like medieval Europe, the commoners got by with simple math and memorizing things as opposed to writing them down.
    Mask of Winters is fantastic at memorizing things.
    I've thought about making a traveling scholar-tutor character whose Motivation is to increase Creations literacy rate.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

I wish someone would run a Dragon King game now. Preferably in the South or North, but East and West would also be acceptable, as long as I get to play a Dragon King.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

I once ran a "anything is allowed" game, but it died from lack of interest. Given the way that most games die, it would seem that people enjoy making characters more than playing them.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Given the way that most games die, it would seem that people enjoy making characters more than playing them.
    I think a game with a predetermined weekly time played over Skype voice chat would do well. The problem is getting five (that is, the full retinue of six people minus one for me) people without crippling social phobia on the internet. (<---this is my disapproval of your phobia)

It might also involve convening beforehand to discuss themes and build characters together so that they mesh easily and have all their bases covered.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

I think a game with a predetermined weekly time played over Skype voice chat would do well. The problem is getting five (that is, the full retinue of six people minus one for me) people without crippling social phobia on the internet. (<---this is my disapproval of your phobia)
    Also, having all players in a single timezone, rather than scattered across different longitudes, so everyone can participate without having other issues come up.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

I do mostly PbP games here on the forum, and those you don't even need to coordinate schedules. I've got one game that is going for the long haul and all that it requires from my players is a willingness to post an update once a week. Yeah, the pace is slow, but real life gets in the way and you have to deal with that. We've been going for almost two years now.

For some reason, though, it seems that many people try a PbP game and can't deal with the slow pace and don't even bother to tell anyone they are dropping out. It kinda bugs me.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, I've found that most games I'm in die from sudden ST Existence failure. The ST just stops posting, and everyone is kind of left wondering "uhhh... so what do we do now...?" and the thing dies.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-01-20 at 01:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

For some reason, though, it seems that many people try a PbP game and can't deal with the slow pace and don't even bother to tell anyone they are dropping out. It kinda bugs me.
    One thing I've figured out (after some painful experience) is not to demand too much, and not to make the players expect too much if you're the ST. As long as you post, the pace of posting doesn't matter as much as the quality of posting. And if you can post more often than usual, hey, bonus!
    I use black for sarcasm.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wish someone would run a Dragon King game now. Preferably in the South or North, but East and West would also be acceptable, as long as I get to play a Dragon King.
    I second this motion, Mountain Folk too.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing I've figured out (after some painful experience) is not to demand too much, and not to make the players expect too much if you're the ST. As long as you post, the pace of posting doesn't matter as much as the quality of posting. And if you can post more often than usual, hey, bonus!
    Well, yeah, but when someone just suddenly stop posting, doesn't bother to tell anyone why they aren't posting, and then the game then goes a month without update because I was waiting for their character to respond, it kinda kills the game.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yeah, but when someone just suddenly stop posting, doesn't bother to tell anyone why they aren't posting, and then the game then goes a month without update because I was waiting for their character to respond, it kinda kills the game.
    From my limited PbP experience I get the impression that it's because they're waiting for you to do the same. In person social pressure and nonverbal cues determine who talks. In PbP whoever speaks up talks, and if you feel your character would be better served by responding to what someone else says nobody can make you speak first. So no one does. The same seems to go for plans.

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

My biggest failing is that I'm reactive, not proactive. Most of my characters are based on me, so I rarely talk without good reason...
    But I have never dropped a game after it started. Not once!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    From my limited PbP experience I get the impression that it's because they're waiting for you to do the same. In person social pressure and nonverbal cues determine who talks. In PbP whoever speaks up talks, and if you feel your character would be better served by responding to what someone else says nobody can make you speak first. So no one does. The same seems to go for plans.
    Oh, this it very true. Though sometimes, I think it's because they're unsure of what to say, and while in person they would be attempts to talk, stuttering, and the like, in text it's more likely to just end in silence. For instance, in a nation-building play by post game I'm running, an NPC basically said "hey, here's the kingdom, what do you want to do?". No movement in the thread for awhile, and I asked what was going on. One player said that his character wouldn't respond to this at all.

It got me to thinking, and it's made me a bit more proactive in some of the other games I'm in.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

I would very much like to play a PbP/MSN/Skype game of Exalted, but it's hard to get there. The reason is that Exalted as it is now is, not to put too fine a point of it, a bloody hassle. Character creation alone takes the better of a day if I want to do it properly (most of that time is spent looking at Artifacts and coming up with backstories and personality), and of course, after that much time you are quite invested in your character.

The problem is that games where your players have been essentially recruited are prone to fall apart. If friends get together, even if they end up not playing, they can still do something else, but people off a forum? It's the game they're there for. Add the impersonal atmosphere of the Internet and bam, you got great grounds for a failing game.

I'd totally love a Terrestrial game. Got ideas for a ex-Dynast Water Aspect inspired by Haley Starshine and Nami. My characters tend to take space, sometimes be silly and often act rashly, so I'm sure she'd stir the waters up a bit (pun intended). But I'm hesitant to put her to paper at the first offer, because my character ideas tend to be one use only. Like wave functions, once observed they collapse, and the way I see it, I don't want to waste so much time, or more importantly so much inspiration, on a game that is more likely than not to run 2 session or less.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2011-01-20 at 04:20 PM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Just out of curiosity, is there any characters that are more universally reviled than a GSP with Gremlin Syndrom?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there any characters that are more universally reviled than a GSP with Gremlin Syndrom?
    A sparkly, high appearance abyssal?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

This is kind of an easy question.

Would the Neverborn, the Yozi, the Fair Folk Nobility, every faction of the Sidereals, the Silver Pact, the Realm, the robotariat of Autochthonia, and every free man, woman, and child all put aside their differences and come together in a genuinely concerted effort to murder a Green Sun Prince with Gremlin Syndrome at all costs without absolutely any plans of betraying their temporary allies because it might undermine their plan to kill him (in which the term "all costs" was quite literal)?

If not, then the Ebon Dragon.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else have trouble downloading the Scroll of Errata? The file keeps failing to download.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

This is kind of an easy question.

Would the Neverborn, the Yozi, the Fair Folk Nobility, every faction of the Sidereals, the Silver Pact, the Realm, the robotariat of Autochthonia, and every free man, woman, and child all put aside their differences and come together in a genuinely concerted effort to murder a Green Sun Prince with Gremlin Syndrome at all costs without absolutely any plans of betraying their temporary allies because it might undermine their plan to kill him (in which the term "all costs" was quite literal)?

If not, then the Ebon Dragon.
    Probably.

Especially if he went Heretical.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

27. - Top - End - #117

The Ebon Dragon during the end of RotSE. I think that literally almost every single faction in the entire canon hates him or wants him dead for various reasons at about that point.

If we're talking PCs, though, probably not. Though it heavily depends on the character in question. We all know how the Lawgivers, Champions of the God of Virtue turned out back when. Nothing stops a GSP with Gremlin Syndrome acting like he's a D&D Paladin sans gilded brass green-flaming stick or being a friend to all living and unliving things (WITHOUT any mindrape involved).

Though Fair Folk are pretty universally reviled too.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-01-20 at 10:42 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Probably.

Especially if he went Heretical.
    I doubt it.

Anyone else have trouble downloading the Scroll of Errata? The file keeps failing to download.
    Here, I just uploaded my personal Scroll of Errata file to mediafire, so that should definitely work. Enjoy.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Here, I just uploaded my personal Scroll of Errata file to mediafire, so that should definitely work. Enjoy.
    Thanks much. Does this include the new character creation guidelines I've been hearing about?

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks much. Does this include the new character creation guidelines I've been hearing about?
    Absolutely. Page 7.