New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion II: No Longer Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    --Lunars have to have some element of survival
    Lunars are also themed toward protection, IIRC.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Lunars are also themed toward protection, IIRC.
    ...Lunars have a theme?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    ...Lunars have a theme?
    Silver solars is a theme.
    BEEP.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

...Lunars have a theme?
    They have several themes. It's just none of them are big enough/integrated enough to really sell them as a unique brand of Exalt.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Banned

Yeah, Lunars need a new book. So do Sidereals, Abyssals, Infernals, Dragon-Blooded, Alchemicals, and Solars.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, this isn't about the average mortal. But, what would a second age scholar with about 4 dots in lore, 3 in occult, with schooling in Lookshy, know about the Yozi/primordials? Anything?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

...Lunars have a theme?
    Mostly protection and versatility. Also survivalism, evolution (whether Lamarckian in which you change yourself into something perfectly adapted for solving the problem you face, or natural selection in which the weak people in your model ecosystem-society die off until it's full of badasses), shapeshifting, being an outsider to society, being able to adapt to any society and belong anywhere, emulating nature in general and animals in particular, savage beast (Full Moon)/ trickster (Changing Moon)/ wise old nature guy (guess) archetypes.

And being a Solar's bodyguard, drinking buddy, and/or boyfriend.

And said Solar's moral guide, I guess, given the stuff about how Lunar mates are the fastest way to redeem Abyssals and GSPs. That didn't seem to remotely work out in anything I've read about the first age, but eh. Maybe Leviathan, Lilith, Ma-Ha-Suchi, and Ingosh were just exceptions and most Lunars had healthy and nurturing relationships with their mates.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2011-03-15 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    They have several themes. It's just none of them are big enough/integrated enough to really sell them as a unique brand of Exalt.
    I view the overarching theme of Lunars as an existential one.

The only divine mandate Lunars are given is a fairly insignificant and petty one that, in practice, is more a clearly unnatural compulsion than anything else. Of all the groups of Exalts in Creation, they are the most free to do what they please in the world - with Celestial power, and the backing of their fellows, but lacking severe responsibility.

From an ST's perspective, a Lunar NPC can fit damn near anywhere. They can be Wyld-themed villains or urban masterminds, deep Realm infiltrators with powerful anti-Fate artifacts, exotic locale explorers, Deathlords - you name it, a Lunar can thematically go there. Lacking guidance, Lunars forge their own fates.

From a player's perspective, Lunars are the easiest Exalt to throw into a multi-Exalt circle of damn near any composition, because of the above.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    From a player's perspective, Lunars are the easiest Exalt to throw into a multi-Exalt circle of damn near any composition, because of the above.
    At least, they would be if they weren't straightjacketed into particular builds to be effective. You get combat monkeys and sexy socialites and that's about it.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    At least, they would be if they weren't straightjacketed into particular builds to be effective. You get combat monkeys and sexy socialites and that's about it.
    With the exception of sorcerer/artificers, those are about the only types of builds I really see in any Exalt type

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    With the exception of sorcerer/artificers, those are about the only types of builds I really see in any Exalt type
    And the No Moon anima power is frightening for Sorcery.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    And said Solar's moral guide, I guess, given the stuff about how Lunar mates are the fastest way to redeem Abyssals and GSPs. That didn't seem to remotely work out in anything I've read about the first age, but eh. Maybe Leviathan, Lilith, Ma-Ha-Suchi, and Ingosh were just exceptions and most Lunars had healthy and nurturing relationships with their mates.
    Maybe their Solar mates were just too wicked and far gone to be redeemed at all. That could be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    And the No Moon anima power is frightening for Sorcery.
    I think you had a typo here. This should read "Almost makes sorcery worth it. Almost."
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, it was Leviathan who screwed up his relationship with his Solar Mate, after having an affair with said Solar's wife, then running to save her instead of his Mate when the Siddies went for broke.

He failed to save either of them, and hides in his city in shame, half-mad (he still calls himself an Admiral, even though the navy doesn't exist.)

He's also the (probably unwitting/knowing) leader of that-group-of-Lunars-that believe-you-should-love-your-mate-and-hold-them-and-squeeze-them-and-call-them-George-whose-name-I-can't-be-bothered-to-spell-and-my-this-is-getting-long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I think you had a typo here. This should read "Almost makes sorcery worth it. Almost."
    Extreme downtime requirements aside, Sorcery is very powerful, if only for the ability to access effects thematically disparate from your Exaltation type.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

I agree, but the massive downtime and related rules makes it harsh for combat, and even the massive cost reduction of the No Moon requires you spend motes equal to the discount (I.E. only effective if you're casting a lot of spells at once)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I feel that if you're only looking at the "directly in combat utility" aspect of sorcery, you're selling its capabilities far short of what it can do. Even if we're looking only at CCS, since no-moons are the topic of discussion, to say nothing of SCS which kicks rules to the curb.
    BEEP.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem is that while some spells are really great and are worth taking (like the summoning spells and Imbue Amalgam), the rest are either mediocre at best or downright suicidal to use at worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Troll in the Playground

There is also the problem that many, many spells are the kind of thing you cast maybe two times per story, tops, but still cost the same XP as getting more generally advantageous Charms or raising perpetually useful Ability dots or any other stuff - and XP is, in my experience, a sharply limited resource. It makes buying most spells feel like a waste.

And certainly combat spells are a bad idea among bad ideas. Sorcery is the go to place for big, powerful, but costly effects. In a game with cheap PDs, high DVs, and many immunities galore, "big, powerful, costly attacks" tend to read "waste this turn"

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    ...*ahem*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xEfUh6dSpk

Seriously, man, if people being PAID to be relatively consistent managed to make the mishmash that Exalted is now, how well do you think a bunch of forumites will perform?
    Better than Exalted writers, I reckon. At least we have a forum and we use it to talk to each other, which seems to be out of style in WW's offices. There's accounts of writers who seriously had no idea what the other guys were writing until they saw the document in print.

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Mostly protection and versatility. Also survivalism, evolution (whether Lamarckian in which you change yourself into something perfectly adapted for solving the problem you face, or natural selection in which the weak people in your model ecosystem-society die off until it's full of badasses), shapeshifting, being an outsider to society, being able to adapt to any society and belong anywhere, emulating nature in general and animals in particular, savage beast (Full Moon)/ trickster (Changing Moon)/ wise old nature guy (guess) archetypes.
    A pity half of those themes are so little expanded upon that most people can't even see them. Seriously, I mentioned the "outsiders" theme to my current ST and her reaction was something in the vein of "...uh? Don't really see it...". To most people, being a Lunar is simply about being tough and being persistent. Which is great for Full Moons, but makes thinking of No Moon exaltations a serious bear . I mean, I managed in the end, but still...

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    The thought I had here was, "What's the absolute slowest you can go to actually pull these things off?" Yes, you have to be going as fast as you can in order for the Charms to work, but if you can be outpaced by a starting character while doing so, that'd just look silly, now wouldn't it?

"Wait, he's going so fast that he's invisible, but I'm running faster than him, and everyone can see me just fine?"

Any ideas for this?
    Start with making your character legless. You're getting bonus points at creation AND your top speed is going to be somewhat limited. For extra effect, have your character's arms chopped off as well.
    LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Which is great for Full Moons, but makes thinking of No Moon exaltations a serious bear . I mean, I managed in the end, but still...
    I seriously read that to mean that you were talking about only having played Lunars whose spirit shapes were serious bears.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Okay, this isn't about the average mortal. But, what would a second age scholar with about 4 dots in lore, 3 in occult, with schooling in Lookshy, know about the Yozi/primordials? Anything?
    Well, 3 in Occult is enough to know about most First Circle Demons, so I imagine you'd have at least an inkling of how it worked: namely, how these First Circle Demons were created by the Yozis/their composite souls to serve various purposes, and that the Second and Third Circle Demons are somehow vital components to the Yozis...

I seriously read that to mean that you were talking about only having played Lunars whose spirit shapes were serious bears.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    I feel that if you're only looking at the "directly in combat utility" aspect of sorcery, you're selling its capabilities far short of what it can do. Even if we're looking only at CCS, since no-moons are the topic of discussion, to say nothing of SCS which kicks rules to the curb.
    Ah, but outside of directly-in-combat, you don't have that same mote-dependency thing because you can pace yourself better, which makes the No Moon's anima banner pretty unhelpful.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

By the way, while we're talking Sorcery, I'm reading the Celestial Circle spells in the White Treatise for the first time, and I'm kind of... underwhelmed. I'm trying to think up of scenarios that would allow for use of many of these spells and which would come up more than maybe twice per campaign, and I'm having trouble. The effects are really cool and all, but they feel like they are mostly either in the once-in-a-game category or the not-worth-so-much-essence-oh-my-god-why-does-this-cost-35-motes category.

And then there's Imbue Amalgam, which I'm either reading wrong or could be used for so many shenanigans it's not even funny.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-03-16 at 09:27 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Troll in the Playground

You're not reading it wrong.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know how you could possibly think that. Sure, most of the spells aren't very good. Then there's Magma Kraken, which is the solution to everything.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Sorcery is more useful for Exalts who can't simply do everything awesomely like Solars.

Solars only get use from Solar spells. Which is why they were developed really. They can do practically anything Celestial spells can do by themselves.

Perhaps not on such dramatic scales, so there's that. Sorcery is for when you want to kill an army all at once?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    You're not reading it wrong.
    I was afraid so. It does have the drawback that you need to utterly destroy the personality of a mortal and substitute it for slavish devotion, so it's really kind of morally objectionable to many characters, but in the hands of someone without moral compunctions this thing could get pretty silly pretty quick...

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    I don't know how you could possibly think that. Sure, most of the spells aren't very good. Then there's Magma Kraken, which is the solution to everything.
    Eh, as far as memetic solutions to everything go, I prefer Neighborhood Relocation Technique . But yes, there is undeniable style in dropping a giant aggroed chunk of magma with tentacles on your enemy's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Sorcery is more useful for Exalts who can't simply do everything awesomely like Solars.

Solars only get use from Solar spells. Which is why they were developed really. They can do practically anything Celestial spells can do by themselves.

Perhaps not on such dramatic scales, so there's that. Sorcery is for when you want to kill an army all at once?
    Actually, I'm searching for spells for a Lunar, not a Solar - I don't play Solars if I can avoid it at all. It's just that most of these seem just so impractical to use, and so very much not worth the annoyance of finding a source to study the spells and then scraping 10 XP for the initiation charm and then another 10 XP for each individual spell that you'll probably use twice in the campaign at most (except, okay, Magma Kraken, because that's a spell you'll probably spam as much as humanly possible if you do get itjust because of the whole "it's a goddamn magma kraken, dude" thing, and there are indeed few situations that can't be improved by an angry kraken on fire )
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-03-16 at 10:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Troll in the Playground

Imbue Amalgam is also benefited by Summon Elemental, and Demon of the First and Second Circle.

Bind a few elementals/demons, then Imbue your Amalgam so you've got plenty of charms to give to it.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

Well, one spell suffers from the problems that Warstriders in canon are bad, but if that's fixed, the celestial spell that creates a full warstrider could be useful.

Maybe.
    Satomi by Elagune