New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: [3.P] The Summoner's Handbook: A Guide to the Pathfinder Summoner

Quote Originally Posted by Sylivin View Post
    Remember that you get 2 claws for 1 evo point. So you end up with 2 primary attacks for 3 points. Meanwhile it costs 2 points for a stinger upgrade (1 for tail, 1 for stinger). So it ends up costing 4 points for 2 primary attacks if you go the tail route. Plus with the bonus of rend... tends to be better over all to go with claws both for evo point useage and overall damage per round.
    I would argue that you get 5 points for 3 primary attacks with the tail; tail slap and the stinger do not cancel each other. But I take your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Remember that you get 2 claws for 1 evo point. So you end up with 2 primary attacks for 3 points. Meanwhile it costs 2 points for a stinger upgrade (1 for tail, 1 for stinger). So it ends up costing 4 points for 2 primary attacks if you go the tail route. Plus with the bonus of rend... tends to be better over all to go with claws both for evo point useage and overall damage per round.
    You aren't adding in the costs of having enough limbs for all those attacks. So, claws are cheaper until you've used up your current number of limbs.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I find my self amused by the thought of a ranged mounted build, mounted archery on yourself, and a mountable eidolon, plus arms, dodge, mobility, and shot on the run. With some added legs it could be a real chore chasing you down.

Also, if a medium summoner merges with a small eidolon, do you get Kuato from Total Recall?

Now for a more serious change in direction, I notice that starting at level 12, your eidolon has fallen 3 levels behind you at 9 HD to your 12, now being that it certainly has a higher INT than 3, and you certainly have a high CHA, could you designate the eidolon as a cohort with the Leadership feat and earn it some class levels up to the usual 2 below your own? If allowed to work that could certainly help the multiclass issues the class faces.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by IthroZada View Post
    You aren't adding in the costs of having enough limbs for all those attacks. So, claws are cheaper until you've used up your current number of limbs.
    Eh? Limbs are 2 points and claws are 1, so you get 2 primary attacks for 3 points. Am I missing something?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I would argue that you get 5 points for 3 primary attacks with the tail; tail slap and the stinger do not cancel each other. But I take your point.
    Are you sure?

I thought there was a rule somewhere saying that each set of limbs (arms, legs, tail, head, etc) only got one (two in the case of arms and legs) attack per round, regardless of how many natural weapons are there, but I can't seem to be able to find it.

Otherwise you can also add Slam to arms and get 3 attacks for 4 evos.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    Are you sure?

I thought there was a rule somewhere saying that each set of limbs (arms, legs, tail, head, etc) only got one (two in the case of arms and legs) attack per round, regardless of how many natural weapons are there, but I can't seem to be able to find it.

Otherwise you can also add Slam to arms and get 3 attacks for 4 evos.
    Except that slams explicitly say you can't do that, the tail attacks don't. There might be a general rule, but someone would have to post a link to it.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Eh? Limbs are 2 points and claws are 1, so you get 2 primary attacks for 3 points. Am I missing something?
    I for some reason thought that you gained one limb at a time, instead of a pair. So, I am incorrect.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthroZada View Post
    Double post.
    You can delete posts from the edit button, y'know.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    You can delete posts from the edit button, y'know.
    I know now.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seeing as how this is the summoners handbook, what tier would a summoner be if it were a 3.5 class? I think bottom 2 or upper 3 (really goes from 3 to 2 with upper level spells IMO, Gate for instance) but I could be wrong.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Considering they can also create their own planes now as well I'd guess around 2.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

What was the final consensus on the Broodmaster?

I've decided one of my two major boss NPCs will be a Summoner, and I was considering having him be a Broodmaster. At the very least it would give the party more to focus on, but if it gimps him I'd rather go with the vanilla Summoner.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Qing Guang View Post

I've decided one of my two major boss NPCs will be a Summoner, and I was considering having him be a Broodmaster. At the very least it would give the party more to focus on, but if it gimps him I'd rather go with the vanilla Summoner.
    If you want lots of minions, it's probably better to go with the Summon Monster option rather than Broodmaster.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qing Guang View Post

Master Summoner works better for having a swarm for creatures, as Broodmaster's Eidolons are overly gimped. It would have worked better as having multiple Eidolons with an effective Summoner level penalty. But, them's the breaks.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2011-08-07 at 10:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

FAQ reversed ruling:
    http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9obe

Now you no longer limited with manufactored attacks (by BAb/Haste/etc) by Nat Attack limit by Eidolon level when fused.

16. - Top - End - #226

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Seeing as how this is the summoners handbook, what tier would a summoner be if it were a 3.5 class? I think bottom 2 or upper 3 (really goes from 3 to 2 with upper level spells IMO, Gate for instance) but I could be wrong.
    As you said, probably at the upper end of tier 3 for the early levels, and then rocketing into tier 2 when higher level spells are engaged.

17. - Top - End - #227

Well, that's how I figured it worked, anyway.

However, the Synthesist gains the bonuses from the Skilled evolution? Friggin' sweet! +8 to one skill check (especially at low levels) is HUGE

Also, I don't think the way the Synthesist is worded should mean that he can't use (say) a chain shirt as well (and I've gone in depth on this argument), but the FAQ certain puts a firm "no" on that. Which is probably good (I'm going to think of it as errata). The much happier "clarification" (errata) is BAB for a synthesist - it stacks with other classes! That's awesome, and makes synthesist dips soooooo much better.

Appreciate this link!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    FAQ reversed ruling:

Now you no longer limited with manufactored attacks (by BAb/Haste/etc) by Nat Attack limit by Eidolon level when fused.
    Took them long enough.

19. - Top - End - #229

RedWizardGuy

Master Summoner works better for having a swarm for creatures, as Broodmaster's Eidolons are overly gimped. It would have worked better as having multiple Eidolons with an effective Summoner level penalty. But, them's the breaks.
    I fail to see how Master Summoner is good for anything. Having your Eidolon at 1/2 the level of normal in place of getting to use one instance of your Summon Monster ability? Congrats you just gimped your big class feature for something you could have done with a wand, scroll, or by simply casting the spell yourself like normal.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't justify losing Shield Ally and half your Eidolon's levels to get a single casting of Summon Monster (Gate if you're high enough) through your Summon Monster class ability.
    My Pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

What effective summoner level penalty would you think is appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    FAQ reversed ruling:

They also confirmed you do not get the bonus from the armor the summoner wears.

Quote Originally Posted by WildPyre View Post
    I fail to see how Master Summoner is good for anything. Having your Eidolon at 1/2 the level of normal in place of getting to use one instance of your Summon Monster ability? Congrats you just gimped your big class feature for something you could have done with a wand, scroll, or by simply casting the spell yourself like normal.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't justify losing Shield Ally and half your Eidolon's levels to get a single casting of Summon Monster (Gate if you're high enough) through your Summon Monster class ability.
    You seem to be missing the fact that you can have multiple castings of the Summon Monster Class ability up with the master summoner archetype.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

21. - Top - End - #231

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    You seem to be missing the fact that you can have multiple castings of the Summon Monster Class ability up with the master summoner archetype.
    Hmm I'd say that only works when your Eidolon isn't out but at half it's level, you may as well put baby in the corner.

Seems like it would be good in the end game when you can gate in crazy powerful stuff, but early and mid game I think I'd still rather have the Eidolon at full powered murder machine.
    My Pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm I'd say that only works when your Eidolon isn't out but at half it's level, you may as well put baby in the corner.
    That is correct.

Seems like it would be good in the end game when you can gate in crazy powerful stuff, but early and mid game I think I'd still rather have the Eidolon at full powered murder machine.
    Still, if you're specifically looking for someone with a swarm of summons, the Master Summoner does a decent job at that.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-08-10 at 07:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    That is correct.
    *sighs and face palms*

Yes if you take that out of context of the rest of the sentence you look very clever for pointing out that I said something obvious... though if you read it in context you'll realize I was indicating that it's drawback was actually moot and not helpful to my stance at all.

If it helps your comprehension any better feel free to replace "I'd say" with "I'd point out"
    My Pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

They also reversed the share spells problem I mentioned in another thread. So enlarge is back for the synthesists because as I said in another thread they were making stuff up when they said it did not work.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

*sighs and face palms*

Yes if you take that out of context of the rest of the sentence you look very clever for pointing out that I said something obvious... though if you read it in context you'll realize I was indicating that it's drawback was actually moot and not helpful to my stance at all.

If it helps your comprehension any better feel free to replace "I'd say" with "I'd point out"
    I was merely confirming your reading of the rules, and wasn't intent on changing the context of the message. You would be right to say "I'd point out" rather than "I'd say", though since the latter implies at least a little bit of uncertainty.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-08-10 at 07:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Also note that, at least at first level, a Master Summoner is more powerful than a regular, as they have a min effective level of 1, so they have a full strength Eidilon + the ability to summon support for it.

Also note that a Master Summoner will probably have their Eidilon be less melee monster and more skill monkey/archer/mount with style. Think of it as an assistant/bodyguard while you send fodder in to deal with your problems.

As for Broodmaster, it depends on the number of eidilons you have out but i think for 2, a -2 effective Summoner level (min lvl 1) should work and then scale by 1 per extra eidilon you have out. I can't say how effective that is without playtesting it, that's just my gut impression.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #237

Also note that a Master Summoner will probably have their Eidilon be less melee monster and more skill monkey/archer/mount with style. Think of it as an assistant/bodyguard while you send fodder in to deal with your problems.

As for Broodmaster, it depends on the number of eidilons you have out but i think for 2, a -2 effective Summoner level (min lvl 1) should work and then scale by 1 per extra eidilon you have out. I can't say how effective that is without playtesting it, that's just my gut impression.
    The Broodmaster can have some interesting combinations and ways to be used, still I don't see any way it'll be better than a full Eidolon, except for the action economy of picking the lock and fighting at the same time.

But Master Summoner looks quite bad at any level other than 1st. Even if he makes an skilldolon, the thing will have few ranks due to its half-everything deal, it can act as a minor meatshield, but don't forget that the Summoner entry doesn't mention that the Eidolon follows any and every order from you regardless of dangers to itself, so the DM can actually say that it won't obey you until you can beat Viridian's Gym and claim the earth badge.

Even so, it'll be quite squishy (squishier than you) and the progression will hurt bad if you're starting at the low levels (your Eidolon only ups a level at character level 4); seeing how the Summoner class is developed around the Eidolon feature, severing it in half without a significant plus somewhere else is not worth it for me, feels like a Bard who gives up half his Bardic Music versatility and power just so he can punch and play the guitar at once.

28. - Top - End - #238

don't forget that the Summoner entry doesn't mention that the Eidolon follows any and every order from you regardless of dangers to itself, so the DM can actually say that it won't obey you until you can beat Viridian's Gym and claim the earth badge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner entry
    Eidolons are treated as summoned creatures, except...
    Summoned, not called. Summoned creatures follow any and every order (that they understand/are capable of) from you, regardless of the dangers to themselves.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

But Master Summoner looks quite bad at any level other than 1st. Even if he makes an skilldolon, the thing will have few ranks due to its half-everything deal, it can act as a minor meatshield, but don't forget that the Summoner entry doesn't mention that the Eidolon follows any and every order from you regardless of dangers to itself, so the DM can actually say that it won't obey you until you can beat Viridian's Gym and claim the earth badge.
    That isn't how pokemon works.
    If the monster is traded and if it is equal your character level: it might disobey. The badges get around this issue.
    But a Master Summoners Eidolon is 1/2 level thus it will never disobey if using pokemon rules.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

The Broodmaster can have some interesting combinations and ways to be used, still I don't see any way it'll be better than a full Eidolon, except for the action economy of picking the lock and fighting at the same time.

Even so, it'll be quite squishy (squishier than you) and the progression will hurt bad if you're starting at the low levels (your Eidolon only ups a level at character level 4); seeing how the Summoner class is developed around the Eidolon feature, severing it in half without a significant plus somewhere else is not worth it for me, feels like a Bard who gives up half his Bardic Music versatility and power just so he can punch and play the guitar at once.
    Master Summoner is still better than Broodmaster, if only b/c the monsters that are out aren't sharing resources to the detriment of all.

As for the Skilldolon, it's not about the ranks, it's the Skilled Evolution which gives +8 to a skill. Pump mental stats and when they do get levels, they should get a fairly well-rounded number of skills.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!