New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.P] The Summoner's Handbook: A Guide to the Pathfinder Summoner

Did not know that difference between "summoned" and "called", that is nice to know, I've been scared of summoner-types all this time over nothing! Everyone always said how hard it was to bid the critters into doing what you want them to do and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Master Summoner is still better than Broodmaster, if only b/c the monsters that are out aren't sharing resources to the detriment of all.
    That depends on whether or not a Broodmaster is forced to split the resources equally, if not maybe there are some nice things to be done with it, possibly on par with Master Summoner because the skilldolon will have full skill ranks.

Though I do agree that until proper math and builds are made it does look like the worse option.

As for the Skilldolon, it's not about the ranks, it's the Skilled Evolution which gives +8 to a skill. Pump mental stats and when they do get levels, they should get a fairly well-rounded number of skills.
    Indeed, they do get a nice bonus, at least in the lower levels, but I still believe that a normal Summoner can do it better overall, since it's not hard to make a punchdolon also be a skilldolon or, if you want to do that, rely 100% on Summons for battle and build a 100% skilldolon that only gets summoned when needed.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-08-12 at 09:53 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242

Thank you, your guide really helps me a lot.

But I can't find the "Improved Bite" evolution you suggest for the Chomper.
    Do you refer to taking Bite a second time? If yes, what's the point? Doesn't the chomper use 1½ his STR anyway because he only has one natural attack?

3. - Top - End - #243

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    Thank you, your guide really helps me a lot.

But I can't find the "Improved Bite" evolution you suggest for the Chomper.
    Do you refer to taking Bite a second time? If yes, what's the point? Doesn't the chomper use 1½ his STR anyway because he only has one natural attack?
    Maybe it's supposed to be the "Improved Damage" evolution applied to Bite?
    My Pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by WildPyre View Post
    Maybe it's supposed to be the "Improved Damage" evolution applied to Bite?
    Evolutions: Bite, Improved Bite, Improved Damage (Bite), Reach (Bite), Ability Increase (Strength), Trip (Bite), Poison (Bite)
    emphasize mine

Nope =(

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

It's been so long since I wrote it I can't remember what it was originally supposed to be. Probably just a typo.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good stuff.

I've been thinking of using the Master Summoner archetype, using several summons at once and keeping the (weakened) eidolon as basically a well-defended orbital radar platform, maybe with a wand of magic missile in hand so it can make itself useful.

Is that approach inferior to the regular full-eidolon approach?
    Last edited by Catharsis; 2011-08-18 at 09:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247

DruidGuy

Hi

First I want to thank the OP for what is obvously a major piece of work, but have they considered the Synthesist (yet)?

Synthesists use brute force as apposed to fighters' tactical training, but are still very powerful.

I'm using one in the PFS campaign. Might have missed a trick in not giving my character Str 13 at 1st lvl. (Human Synthesist 2, Str 12 Dex 13 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 18), but I'll sort that out at 4th lvl. (Taking Pwr Attack at 5th).

Current Evo's Dex & Con, (for Str 17 Dex 15 Con 15), using Gt Sword (Heirloom).

Debating which is best:
    1) Synthesist 5/Ninja xxx,
    2) Synthesist xxxx
    3) Synthesist 5/Oracle 1/Synthesist xxx

Both will have extra arms, so Pwr Attack with 2 weapons each round.

Option 1 grants new weapon profs, can use ki points for special stuff
    Option 2 grants full caster levels, better Evo's, but limited to simple weapons (plus the Gt Sword)
    Option 3 (Battle Mystery) allows some extra spells, inc (CLW), plus Wpn profs in Martial Wpns, so could wield 2 Gt Swords.

What do people think?

Remember, characters 'retire' at 12th lvl in PFS.

Thanks
    Paul H

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I second this. I would also like to see more analysis of the Synthesist. It looks like a good tier 3 melee option, but I'm not sure how it would play.

9. - Top - End - #249

Are you saying you and your Eidolon wielding greatswords?
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

10. - Top - End - #250

DruidGuy

Hi

First - I don't understand what people mean by Tier xx. Can anyone help us out?

Here's a suggestion:

Human Synthesist

Str 13 Dex 13 Con 13 Int 10 Wis 11 Cha 18

1) Dodge, Toughness. EVO (Dex, Nat AC) [Str 16 Dex 14 Con 13 Nat AC 4] Traits; Heirloom Wpn (Gt Sword)
    2) EVO (Dex Con) [Str 17 Dex 15 Con 15 Nat AC 4]
    3) Pwr ATtack. EVO (Dex, Con, Nat AC) [Str 17, Dex 15, Con 15, Nat AC +6]
    4) +1 Cha: EVO (Dex, Con, Extra Arms, Nat AC)
    5) Arcane Strike. EVO (Dex, Con, Extra Arms, Flight) [Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16*, Nat AC +6] *Inc +1 for lvl.
    6) EVO (Dex, Con, Extra Arms, Flight, Nat AC) [Nat +8]
    7) Wpn Prof Nodachi. EVO (Dex, Con, Extra Arms x2, Flight) [Str 19, Dex 17, Nat AC +8]
    8) +1 Cha. EVO (Dex, Con, Extra Arms x2, Flight, Nat AC) [Nat AC +10]
    9) Cleave. EVO (Dex, Con, Extra Arms x3, Flight, Nat AC)
    10) EVO (Dex, Con, Extra Arms x3, Flight, Gills, Swim) [Str 20, Dex 18, Con 17, Nat AC +10]

Items in () are Evolutions. Those in [] are net results.

At Lvl 10 you have 4 Attacks w/Nodachi's, Base AC 25, 161HP (93 Synth + 68 Eidolon, using PFS format).

Thanks
    Paul H
    Edit: @ Sarone, No - I 'wear' Eidolon, the Eidolon 'wields' Gt Sword.
    Last edited by Paul H; 2011-08-23 at 02:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    First - I don't understand what people mean by Tier xx. Can anyone help us out?
    The Tier system is a scale of power relating how base classes compare to one another in effectiveness in dealing with the problems that adventurers do. They go from Tier 6, which is not very effective at most anything (Commoner) through Tier 1, where you can do everything, even better than the those classes supposedly specialized in that area (Wizard, Cleric, Archivist, Druid, Artificer).

Here's the write-up: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=1002.0

It's used to quickly explain power and versatility and is a good measuring stick in terms of effectiveness.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #252

DruidGuy

Hi

Big TY for that.

Seen it for years & understood it was some ranking system, just had no idea of the specifics.

Cheers
    Paul H

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Debating which is best:
    1) Synthesist 5/Ninja xxx,
    2) Synthesist xxxx
    3) Synthesist 5/Oracle 1/Synthesist xxx
    It depends on whether or not your DM makes a fuss over having big sized equipment, but I'd go Synthesist 6, grab the Large evo and use Reduce Person when needed, the points spent on Large are better than the same amount spent elsewhere damage-wise.

14. - Top - End - #254

DruidGuy

Hi

Unfortunately, Large Weapons aren't allowed in Pathfinder Society campaign. (Or are special access only).

On other hand, Enlarge Person is on the Summoner's Spell List.

Thanks
    Paul H

15. - Top - End - #255
    Bugbear in the Playground

Large requires Summoner 8. Synth10/Paladin2 gets you some insane saves and other goodies, including martial weapon prof, while keeping third level spells.

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Large requires Summoner 8. Synth10/Paladin2 gets you some insane saves and other goodies, including martial weapon prof, while keeping third level spells.
    Whoops, you're right, it's indeed level 8.

17. - Top - End - #257

I'd love to see something on the Synthesist too.
    I'm playing a halfling Synthesist in a 'tank' roll, aiming to keep the opposition engaged long enough for our Ranger to kill them (or finish them off myself).

There seems to be a big 'issue' with Enlarge / Reduce Person. Spell says 'target', but Eidolon share ability specifies 'self'. Also, Eidolon ignores 'humanoid' requirement, but Synthesist doesn't (and now counts as outsider).

Aiming for the Large evolution anyway, because the evolution offers way better bonuses then the spell (besides the fact that I chose a quadruped form to begin with, and don't think I qualify because of it)

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    I'm playing a halfling Synthesist in a 'tank' roll, aiming to keep the opposition engaged long enough for our Ranger to kill them (or finish them off myself).

There seems to be a big 'issue' with Enlarge / Reduce Person. Spell says 'target', but Eidolon share ability specifies 'self'. Also, Eidolon ignores 'humanoid' requirement, but Synthesist doesn't (and now counts as outsider).

Aiming for the Large evolution anyway, because the evolution offers way better bonuses then the spell (besides the fact that I chose a quadruped form to begin with, and don't think I qualify because of it)
    My ruling; Enlarge / Reduce person does not work if cast by anyone other than the Synthesist. It DOES work if the Synthesist casts it on himself and both Synthesist and his Eidolon suit enlarge.

What do you think you don't qualify for? Quads can get large, they just don't get the extra reach that Bipeds get.
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post

Enlarge spell works due to the shared spell ability. A synthesist casts enlarge person on himself and shares it with the eidolon. Only the synthesist can do it. Initially the FAQ missed this part but they changed it later.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Eidolons

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Chomper (Dog Form)

Spoiler
    Show
    Base Form: Quadruped or Biped
    Evolutions: Bite, Improved Bite, Improved Damage (Bite), Reach (Bite), Ability Increase (Strength), Trip (Bite), Poison (Bite)
    Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Bite), Improved Natural Attack, Combat Reflexes/Lunge, Ability Focus (Poison)

This build goes a slightly different route: instead of lots of medium-strength attacks, you try to land one BIG attack, then use Combat Reflexes and Reach to make sure you get as many shots with it as possible. Stack as many conditions (such as Trip and Poison) onto the single hit as possible. Much lower damage potential than the first two forms, but unlike them you're not dependent on full attacks, meaning you don't have to stand toe-to-toe with the monsters and can move around.

I plan on playing a summoner for a PF campaign (level 9) and I plan to use this eidolon. I need to know: if Imp. Natural Attack (feat) and Imp. Damage (Evolution) can apply to the same basic attack. I guess they do, but my eidolon would be doing about 3d6 damage. And it seems unbalanced.
    Welcome to the Internet where opinions are facts and sources don't matter!
    I GOT A 4

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

If they do stack it isn't that big of a change. If they don't stack then you would deal 2d6 damage. The difference between that and 3d6 is on average 3.5 points of damage which is not much better than weapon specialization and that is considered to be a weak feat. Now if you can get even more size increases it starts making a bigger difference. It would be a worthwhile choice but it isn't that powerful on its own.

22. - Top - End - #262

I'd say that they stack, as pointed out, it's not that big of an advantage and comes out the same as wielding a large weapon and then being Enlarged, which does make your weapon huge.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    If they do stack it isn't that big of a change. If they don't stack then you would deal 2d6 damage. The difference between that and 3d6 is on average 3.5 points of damage which is not much better than weapon specialization and that is considered to be a weak feat. Now if you can get even more size increases it starts making a bigger difference. It would be a worthwhile choice but it isn't that powerful on its own.
    Really, if INA is considered overpowered, I quiver to think if Vital Strike was pursued, since, as has pointed out a couple times in the Vital Strike thread, it works best on single attack monsters like the Chomper. 6d6 bite!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #264

Really, if INA is considered overpowered, I quiver to think if Vital Strike was pursued, since, as has pointed out a couple times in the Vital Strike thread, it works best on single attack monsters like the Chomper. 6d6 bite!
    Interesting little feat. What exactly is "an attack action"? Does full attack work? How about AoO?
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barstro View Post
    Interesting little feat. What exactly is "an attack action"? Does full attack work? How about AoO?
    Vital Strike refers specifically to the Attack action, which takes a standard action. A full attack or AoO is neither.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Should Eidolon stats be rolled? or taken from the base form?
    Welcome to the Internet where opinions are facts and sources don't matter!
    I GOT A 4

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You take it from the base form.

Great guide by the way, thanks!

I'm curious about what you all think of an all Summoner party. I thought it'd be an interesting thought experiment. With four Summoners and four Eidolons, you could cover the main roles in combat (Tank, Striker, Controller) and out of combat (Face, Scout, Utility). Granted, the roles probably couldn't be done as well as builds with other classes specifically designed for them, but Summoner is a very flexible class. Thoughts?
    Last edited by nategar05; 2011-09-16 at 04:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

It could be a lot of fun, even more so if you use the archetypes to fill the roles more specifically

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Aurenthal View Post
    Should Eidolon stats be rolled? or taken from the base form?
    By RAW it's taken from the base forms, but it can be made into rolling I guess if everyone on the table rolled 16+ for nearly everything.

Quote Originally Posted by nategar05 View Post
    You take it from the base form.

Great guide by the way, thanks!

I'm curious about what you all think of an all Summoner party. I thought it'd be an interesting thought experiment. With four Summoners and four Eidolons, you could cover the main roles in combat (Tank, Striker, Controller) and out of combat (Face, Scout, Utility). Granted, the roles probably couldn't be done as well as builds with other classes specifically designed for them, but Summoner is a very flexible class. Thoughts?
    Well, I guess an all-Summoner party could work surprisingly well; as you said, maybe not as good as a standard party, but is most probably one of the most effective "single class parties" out there due to Summoner's sheer versatility.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Two new sample builds added, contributed by nategar05.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!