New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Away from the Sun

The night grows on, but the life in the streets has not been livelier in some time. The festival of lights was a much needed one for the city of Tonia. Everywhere, people laughed and drank and sang. Scores of vendors littered the streets, selling everything from food to alcohol to toys and other festival treats. The town guard had upped their patrol, trying their best to keep everything from going too far. So far, no fights had broken out, not even in the local tavern which was famous for it's barfights.

No one knew about the massing army in the caverns outside the town, a mile west. No one in the town of Tonia knew that tonight might be their last night alive.

Places of interest:

Blacksmith - closed.
    Churches - open. Ra's: full-time monks and clerics working. Osiris's: full-time monks and clerics working. Obelisk's: two clerics on duty, otherwise closed.
    Market District - selling various festival wares.
    Murky Waters Tavern - busy with festival goers.
    Drow Samurai avatar by Ranger Mattos!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Away from the Sun

Nao walks through the city without speaking, slowly chewing on a piece of roast animal flesh she had earlier bought off a street vendor. She makes her way to the Church of Osiris; from experience she knows that it is usually a safe place to get some rest without being hassled too much.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

An armored lizard-like creature walks by the street of the newfound city, until he stumbles upon a sign: "Murky Winds Tavern"

"This sounds promising," he mumbles in Common. "But I wonder why everything is so noisy around here..."

Once inside, he looks for a spot, and talks to the bartender or someone available. "Greetings..."

Spoiler
    Show

Aura activated:
    Aura of Toughness: Damage reduction 1/magic until I change the aura.
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Osiris Temple

Though not as flourish or fancy as the temples of Ra or Obelisk, the temple of Osiris is never the less impressive even in such a modest city as Tonia. Colors of red and black and brown are rampant in simple, yet elegant patterns. A cleric in waiting sees the strange form of Nao approaching, but takes solace in the fact that if the Hellbred is within the city walls, she must be safe.

"Good evening, friend of the two-headed one," the cleric greeted. He did not lower his red cowl, but the human's face was not hidden, either.

Murky Winds Tavern

The Murky Winds is full of loud, rowdy patrons celebrating the festival of lights. Many servants run about, serving drinks and food at order. The thick smell of pipe smoke fills the tavern, mixed with the scents of cooking meats. The bartender is a female Hengeyokai in her human form, eyes slightly slanted and with slicked-back black hair. She nimbly slides the drinks down the bar with precision, but exhaustion is clearly starting to hit her. It takes her a moment to address Mergrak. "What can I get you?" she asks distractedly, eyes not fully meeting the Lizardfolk's.
    Last edited by Talon Sky; 2011-01-23 at 11:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

OldWizardGuy

"Fish and booze, please," Mergrak replies. "And also, some information... What are you all celebrating? I just arrived Tonia, you know..."
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Saji Eiichi
    Spoiler
    Show

Saji Eiichi
    Male Neutral Good Lesser Hengeyokai(sparrow) Sorcerer, Level 2, Init +3, HP 14/14, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Quarterstaff +2 (1d6+1, x2)
    Heirloom Gloves of Lightning (3/day) +4 (+7 if they are wearing metal) (1d8+5, x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 13, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 18
    Condition Current Form: Human.
    Sparrow Form:
    size :Fine
    AC: 24 (+8 size, +6 dex)
    move speed: 1 foot, 50 foot fly
    Str: 1
    Dex: 23
    Con: 10

After passing seamlessly through the crowds in the market district Saji arrived at a square with live music and people dancing. He hid his face beneath a silver dragon eye mask sold by a vendor, he couldn't exactly afford to be identified by certain individuals. After finishing eating his pastry he brushed back his black hair, leaving the red streak in front. He hadn't been able to have much fun in the city lately so being a dancing man himself he joined in dancing with whomever would join him.

Spoiler
    Show

Dance Check!(I assume it would be charisma):(1d20+4)[11]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dancing is usually a Perform check, so yeah, Charisma.

Nao's green tinted lips part in a small smile, and she bows politely to the cleric.

"Good evening to you sir. It's been a long night, and I am just looking for a place to stay for a bit. Is it ok if I rest here for a bit before I move on?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Godfrey sits on a bench on the edge of the street playing with a child's toy he recently purchased. He stares intently at the hanging figure that jumps as he tightens his grip. Not out of idle amusement, but in fascination at the mechanics of it. This was the first primarily human town he had ever entered, and he wonders if the streets were always this busy, or because of the celebration that appeared to be going on. Realizing people were giving him odd looks as he played with a child's toy, he quickly stows it and enters the inn.

Spoiler
    Show
    purchased a toy. how much, a copper or two?

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfFighterGuy

Mengjin, a samurai, sat in a corner of the Murky Waters tavern, drinking amazake (assuming that's offered) slowly, and nibbling on some light food.

He regarded Mergrak talking to the bartender, and chuckled to himself. He stared at the no-dachi for a little while, but went back to his amazake a minute or so after.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Murky Winds Tavern

Spoiler
    Show
    A CP is fine, as long as it's a simple puppet and not too intricate

The bartender finished serving an order to a group of particularly drunk dwarves before turning back to Mergrak, her sleek arms crossed. "Fish, we got. Booze, we got, but you'll have to be more specific. The house special is a dark brown ale, sweetened by a slice of red apple in the drink itself." She chucked and threw back her black hair. "Adventuring type, hmm? Well you picked a fine time to visit Tonia. The festival of lights celebrates our ancestor's founding of the empire....our current one, mind, not the old one." The bartender swiveled and took another order, shouting it to the back and then glancing back to Mergrak. "The end of the Taint Wars, when light returned back to the land."

As Godfrey enters the tavern, the bartender gives him a curt nod, a finger in sign that she'll be with him in a moment, and a smile. She turns from Mergrak again to take another order, from a rowdy group of humans and an orc. When she finished a few minutes later, she motioned for Godfrey to come up to the bar. "What's yer poison, sir?"

Streets

Spoiler
    Show
    Dance is a Perform skill, so yes, Cha. Ninja'd

There was not much of a response to Saji's dancing. The streets were filled with drinkers and dancers, each of them too involved in their own celebrations or those of their friends to be wooed by Sanji's adequate dance routine. The night was already long, and they were either all too drunk, or had seen it all before, to care.

Osiris Temple

The cleric bowed to the strange being, and gave her a small smile. "The inn should have a fine amount of room, m'lady. We have our hands full at the moment, though I am most sorry. After all, balance within this city is much harder to maintain with the celebrations going on. People are....indulging....beyond what is balanced and moderate."

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

"Okay, bring me some of that wonderful ale, miss! And the fish too!" Mergrak replies as he looks around with his reptilian head. He sees a lot of people, some of them dancing, others are drinking, or talking or eating, etc.

His sight soon spots a human warrior sat in a corner, wearing clothes and armor which follow blue and red patterns, and wearing two interesting weapons. The guy seemed to be drinking something.

"Is it good?" he finally asks him in Common.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfFighterGuy

Mengjin looks back at Mergrak again, and replies:
    "It's not too bad. It's sweet, and won't get you drunk. Take that as you will.
    "Tell you what, I'll let you try some of mine."

13. - Top - End - #13

OldWizardGuy

"Sure, why not," says the lizard, and gets a sip of the alcohol. "This is pretty good, but I think I've tasted it before, some years ago. By the way, I'm Mergrak," he adds with a respectful bow.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

14. - Top - End - #14

HalfOrcPirate

Godfrey blinks in surprise at the bartender "Poison?!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nao looks at the priest with slightly wide eyes.

"No one is hurt, I hope? I'm happy to offer my aid, if you are short on healers."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Murky Waters Tavern

The bartender sighed as she brought the tray over to the table were Mergrak and Mengjin were sitting, on which laid a piece of fried catfish and a glass of thick, brown drink with a bobbing apple slice as promised.

"Want anything else, sirs?" she addressed them both at once. Once she had their answers, she turned to see the slightly surprised looking and possibly insulted human.

"Drink, your drink?" she asked exasperatedly, wondering where exactly this wild-looking man could be from.

Osiris Temple

The cleric gave a dismissing wave of his scarlet-gloved hand and smiled. "No, no m'lady, though I appreciate the concern in your eyes and voice. Not many in the town tonight would choose such selflessness over celebration....excuse my earlier brashness. The church of Osiris does welcome you to stay within our rooms if you wish to. Our food might not be as rich as the Murky Water's, but a comfortable bed is a comfortable bed."

Outskirts of Tonia - half a mile north

The swift, silent feet of several hundred marching soldiers moved across the landscape with unerring, unearthly grace. Stationed at intervals within the advancing army were robed figures, chanting with all their might on a common spell of invisibility. Though there were twenty armor-clad warriors for every sorcerer, the combined strength of their cloaking spells weaved together perfectly.

Just as their smiling leader intended. He rode at their forefront, his horse and himself invisible as well, though the spell was his own. He needed no aid from petty spellcasters.

"Master," a disembodied voice whispered beside him. "Master, I return from my scouting mission. It appears that the apex of their celebration will commence with a large and rather noisy display of light and sound; I do not understand exactly what the spy described, but it will serve as a great distraction for the entire city."

"Good," the leader cooed, his face never changing....for what it was worth, as no one could have seen it. "You have done well, General Gorothimos. Tonight, your actions will create untold ballads for bards' songs eternal."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nao nods, "You're very kind. I promise to stay out of you and your clergymembers' hair. But if I can lend my aid in any way, do let me know, I will not be long, but nonetheless, I do not wish to be a train on your resources."

She adds, "Might I ask your name, brother of Osiris?"

18. - Top - End - #18

HalfOrcPirate

"Oh! Yes, my drink!...uh-" Boz looks around frantically, not knowing what he could possibly order- his eyes fall on the table next to him. He points at the Lizard man chewing on a piece of fried catfish "I'll have what he's having." after the bartender leaves he leans over and asks him and his friend "So, uh...how is it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Where is my wolf? He knows heel, so he could be with me, but would they let him in the town with me? If he's outside, does he sense the invisible army?
    Last edited by Sherriff Bart; 2011-01-25 at 02:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfFighterGuy

"And you may call me Mengjin, Mergrak."
    He stays silent for a moment, looking at Mergrak's no-dachi.
    "You know, I haven't seen many skilled no-dachi users before. It always seemed that the weapon was large and unwieldy, but you look like you would have plenty of finesse if you picked up a smaller blade. Perhaps we should have a small spar in the future?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh jeez, invisible army? How invisible are we talking here, invisible invisible, improved invisible, or superior invisible?

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

Mergrak sniffles the fish before chewing it in pleasure. "Hmmmm, this is good!"

Then he notices that the human samurai is looking at his no-dachi. "Huh? This? Yeah, I was trained by a human warrior after leaving home. He presented me with this sword, which I learned to use."

*chew chew*

"Sure, Mengjin," Mergrak says. "Anytime, I'd be honored to have a friendly duel. Iaijutsu or kenjutsu, both sound good to me!"

He repairs in the pair of swords that Mengjin has. "What about yours? It's the first time I notice such weapons."

Spoiler
    Show
    Note: Iaijutsu is a duel of quick-drawing, where the faster usually wins. Kenjutsu is swordplay where the more skilled one usually wins.
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-01-25 at 02:17 PM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Your wolf is probably with you, or at least outside the tavern. The city allows domesticated....or at least controllable....animals within their walls.

Um....DM Invisible? "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when the DM means for him to."

Osiris Temple

"Meakrai Vaeylon," the cleric answered with a smile, and turned to gesture Nao through the temple. "High Cleric of Osiris and head operator of the temple's inner workings in Tonia. We have little need now, but trust me: after the festival of lights, there will be much need for healing prayers."

Murky Waters Tavern

The bartender brought Boz is drink, the same dark-brown ale. The apple slice in it was a bit hastily cut, but sizable. She also carried refills for Mergrak and Mengjin respectively, setting the drinks on the table.

"Call me if you need anything else, sirs....though I do ask you pay your tabs before the hour's end. At midnight is the Grand Display, and I'd like to actually go out into the streets and see it this year." She chuckled and tossed back her silky black hair. "Last year, four dwarves puked up all over my bar counter, and I spent several hours cleaning it up and completely missed the fireworks."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, Father Vaeylon, I greatly appreciate your aid. I am known as Nao. If anything occurs that I may be of use for, please feel free to have someone wake me."

With that, having made it to the bed, Nao promptly collapses upon it and quickly begins snoring loudly.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Osiris Temple

Once Nao was safely in bed, Meakrai made for the council chambers and met with the only other two clerics on duty....his personal clergymen. They saw his rather grim expression but said nothing, nor did Father Vaeylon give them reason to.

"That one....what is she? A demon?" one of the clerics asked a little frightened.

"I sensed honest good about her," was all Father Vaeylon said. "I had her turned away, but then I saw how much she would not fit in with the celebrating town. And from that, I saw potential."

The two other clerics proceeded to ask Meakrai what he'd meant, but the cleric of Osiris had already said too much. He retreated to his bedchambers but did not dress for bed, choosing instead to stare out his window in anticipation of the coming show.

That demonic-looking woman looked powerful, and if things got out of hand....if certain bonds and agreements were forgotten....then Vaeylon could use someone powerful.
    Last edited by Talon Sky; 2011-01-25 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazi

24. - Top - End - #24

HalfOrcPirate

"Certainly, miss. How much do I owe you?" Boz asks, reaching for his purse. "I've never seen fireworks before, when are those scheduled?"

25. - Top - End - #25

OldWizardGuy

"Sure, lady," says Mergrak. "I'd like to see the fireworks too. Oh, nothing else for me, thank you! This fish is wonderful..."

*chew chew*
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Murky Waters Tavern

The bartender smiled. "The apple-butter ale is six copper each, not including the first refill. As for the fish, it's three silver pieces. And for you, sir," she addressed Mengjin, "your total meal comes to five silver." The bartender's sly grin did not hide her glee. The food and drink weren't overpriced, per say, but she was clearly taking full advantage of the loose purses people tended to have at celebrations. "And the fireworks are scheduled to go off at midnight....don't worry, I'll announce ten minutes or so beforehand when everyone needs to clear out o' my tavern."
    Last edited by Talon Sky; 2011-01-25 at 05:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfFighterGuy

Mengjin reached into his belt pouch, and pulled out a few coins.
    "...three, four... I seem to be one short. Can I get some change on a gold piece, then?
    What time is it, anyways?"

28. - Top - End - #28

OldWizardGuy

Mergrak took two silver pieces from his pouch. "Here you go, miss."

Mergrak then takes a sip of his ale. "Hey, this one's good too. Pretty fruity-sweet... What time? I don't know, less than midnight I suppose..."
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

29. - Top - End - #29

HalfOrcPirate

Boz hands the bartender a silver piece and says around a mouthful of apple"mmhear jyou goh, fyank you." After swallowing it he turns to the Lizard man and Samurai "You're planning on going to the fireworks too? Mind if I watch it with you?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Outside in the streets, a new sound cuts through the music of the revels, a repeated metallic twang coming from a man playing a bow-like instrument, hitting a strung steel wire with a short reed. A drum player joins in and a large group of people begin a call and response song. In front of the ensemble, two men engage in what appears to be a choreographed fight, each of their spinning kicks missing the other by inches. Lenah knew different however, none of this was planned, controlled spontaneity his mestre called it, you practiced and repeated movements, but when the time for the game came, you were in crisis. Lenah smiles as he appreciates the irony of the idea, neatly side-stepping a thrusting foot before spinning with a return.

((My best attempt at describing a roda, here's a video for reference.))
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.