New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Common Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms

From Context, I would say "For the Loss" or "For the Lose"—Opposite of FTW, which means "For the Win."
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

While most probably the correct context of FTL, in a sci-fi game could also easily refer to Faster Than Light travel.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Updates made, and are, as ever, in blue.
    Last edited by Gorbash Kazdar; 2007-08-10 at 12:36 PM.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorby
    Oberoni Fallacy: The statement that there are no problematic or broken rules, as any identified as such can simply be corrected by application of Rule 0. A fallacy as having another overarching rule allowing for corrective action to be taken does not mean that there were not problems in the first place. Formally identified as a logical fallacy by WotC forum member Oberon.
    The poster who "invented" the fallacy is named Oberoni, not Oberon.

edit: the original thread on WotC is long since purged, I believe. But here's a thread on the Nifty Message Board where the original WotC post by Oberoni was quoted.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2007-08-10 at 12:55 PM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    The poster who "invented" the fallacy is named Oberoni, not Oberon.

edit: the original thread on WotC is long since purged, I believe. But here's a thread on the Nifty Message Board where the original WotC post by Oberoni was quoted.
    Typo corrected.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Since I've been here, I've seen several referenced to casters (particularly psions) "going nova". Am I correct in guessing that "going nova" means blowing all their high level spells on one encounter? If so, why are psions particularly good at it?

Thanks.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

You surmise correctly.

Psions are good at going nova because many of their powers can be augmented. Whereas spellcasters have most aspects of their spells scale with level up to a certain point, typically psionic powers only automatically scale with respect to duration and range. To get more out of a power, a manifester has to augment the power: spend extra power points.

This augmentation also comes with the benefit of no absolute caps beyond the psionic character's manifester level. Whereas a wizard's fireball can never do more than 10d6 damage on its own regardless of the wizard's caster level, a 20th level kineticist can unleash a 20d6 energy ball. Due to this expanding power level, a fully augmented psionic power can be more powerful than a spell of the same level, though it should be noted such powers require the psionic energy of a much higher level power. For instance, that energy ball is a fourth level power, but it cost more power points than a 10th level power.

This augmentation allows a psion to go nova using virtually any of his or her known powers, whereas a wizard would only find a few of his or her highest level appropriate for such a task.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

Can anyone explain what a "Batman Mage" is? I see it regularly listed next to CoDzilla, so I imagine that it is some power wizard in late game.
    Believer of Smashdor

"You and all those other mental wimps deserve to die, isn't that right, MISTER THREE-FOURTEEN"
    ~Mortimer McMire

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

"Batman Mage" refers to a wizard who, much like the DC Comics character Batman, is capable of overcoming almost any situation with the right combination of spells. Such spells heavily focus on Utility and Battlefield Control functions (once again, two areas in which Batman excels). Many of these spells are drawn from a fairly narrow list of some of the more powerful spells. Most Bataman spells are core.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Halfling in the Playground

Um, I just wanted to thank the original poster and those who followed, as there's a fair bit of terminology I just didn't recognize, and I'm now able to follow an Oots Forum conversation much easier.
    Let's not go to Silent Hill. It is a scary place.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like to suggest adding the Term "Optimizier" to the list. The definition could be something like:

Optimizier: A player who makes characters very effective at their intended purpose while considering the integrity of the character's backstory and personality. A player might optimize a character for combat, or for social skills, or any number of other situations. Also used when referring to how capable a character is at a given task (i.e. "this character is very optimized for combat").

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Tormskull, I would also suggest adding something to the effect of 'Some people use powergamer to refer to this' or a link in the power gamer definition.

The fact is, none of these have straight dictionary definitions, so you have to compensate for different uses by designating the correct term as a replacement.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    "Batman Mage" refers to a wizard who, much like the DC Comics character Batman, is capable of overcoming almost any situation with the right combination of spells. Such spells heavily focus on Utility and Battlefield Control functions (once again, two areas in which Batman excels). Many of these spells are drawn from a fairly narrow list of some of the more powerful spells. Most Bataman spells are core.
    To further elaborate, a sort of running internet discussion joke that "Batman can beat anyone with prep time" resembles the wizard, since if the wizard knows what the enemy is, he can prepare the right spells ahead of time. As the theory goes, a wizard without proper information or prep time will generally retreat, much like Batman does after being beaten, where he researches the enemy in his batcave (or perhaps Magnificent Mansion), develops an antidote serum, and then returns to utterly ruin his target.

Also, after the nth time of seeing this question asked, it would probably be prudent to have some sort of description added to the terminology section.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'd hate to ask, but what does E6 mean? I can't search for something that short on the forums, and using the Find function on my browser to look for 'E' would be ridiculous.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-s1 View Post
    I'd hate to ask, but what does E6 mean? I can't search for something that short on the forums, and using the Find function on my browser to look for 'E' would be ridiculous.
    http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=352719

E6 is a d20 variant in which characters only up to level 6, and then earn extra feats instead of leveling beyond that.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-s1 View Post
    E6 refers to an augmentation to the D&D game which caps maximum level at 6th level (hence, E6). More information here.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hey.

WBL is something I've seen a lot of lately, but usn't up on the list. What's that now?

18. - Top - End - #228

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Accountant View Post
    Hey.

WBL is something I've seen a lot of lately, but usn't up on the list. What's that now?
    Wealth By Level = Amount of gp you get to spend on equipment when creating character.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

What exactly is a "bag o' rats?" I've tried searching the forum and googling it, and I've gathered that it's an excercise in rule-breaking similar to Pun-Pun, and that it involves exploiting Combat Reflexes and a bag of rats in order to get a near infinite number of attacks. How does it work, though?
    The following statement is true.

The previous statement is false.

If you are a Sprint customer, please let me know if I can ever help you with your service. If you are not yet a Sprint customer, I would like to help you become one. Send me a PM!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by batsofchaos View Post
    What exactly is a "bag o' rats?" I've tried searching the forum and googling it, and I've gathered that it's an excercise in rule-breaking similar to Pun-Pun, and that it involves exploiting Combat Reflexes and a bag of rats in order to get a near infinite number of attacks. How does it work, though?
    It involves the Cleave/Great Cleave feats. Rat 1 moves, provokes AoO. You take AoO, kill the rat, cleave into your foe. Lather, rinse, repeat.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    It involves the Cleave/Great Cleave feats. Rat 1 moves, provokes AoO. You take AoO, kill the rat, cleave into your foe. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Ah, so you get repeated AoO based on the rats moving in and out of being threatened, and then get a bonus hit from great cleave on additional opponents provided you kill the rat on the AoO? That's rather clever.
    The following statement is true.

The previous statement is false.

If you are a Sprint customer, please let me know if I can ever help you with your service. If you are not yet a Sprint customer, I would like to help you become one. Send me a PM!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by batsofchaos View Post
    Ah, so you get repeated AoO based on the rats moving in and out of being threatened, and then get a bonus hit from great cleave on additional opponents provided you kill the rat on the AoO? That's rather clever.
    Another variant involves whirlwind attacking the rats and cleaving into your enemies. This only works in D&D 3.0, because 3.5 added the "When you use the Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities" clause to the feat.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

thank you for all your abbreviations ,i believe all people in the forum can learn more about the words ,it is really helpful to all the people.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

May I suggest the following chat abbreviation?

TBH - to be honest.

I've seen it crop up a lot lately and I had to go look on www.acronymfinder.com to figure out what it meant.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

25. - Top - End - #235

Various typos corrected, minor changes to remove dated information or make definitions clearer. Added Batman Mage, bag'o'rats, blaster, Pun-Pun, 4E, E6, FUBAR, SNAFU, TBH, WTF, WBL, nova, GSL, ninja'd, RuC, CoSR, and A:tEoS.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

This may be the wrong place, but I think the following post accurately defines the concepts and would prevent debates from becoming bogged down in semantics if it was official.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Power Gamer: Someone who makes the most powerful character possible.
    Optimizer: Someone who makes the most powerful character possible to fit a specific concept.
    Munckin: An idiot who thinks they can optimize or powergame when they can't and proceeds to whine when the DM points out their stupidity (this catagory is things like people walking around when dead, or healing people by drowning them. also included are those who grab builds from the CharOp's boards).
    Edit: N/M, I missed them in the OP on my scan.

I hate IE.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2008-05-10 at 06:11 PM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    I hate IE.
    IE = Internet Explorer
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

This thread really is a must read.
    This only suggestion I could make would be
    Cleric of Cheeseweasle: Nickname for a cleric of Pelor who takes the Good and Healing domains.
    Probably not worth adding, but it pops up in the Brisbane Living Greyhawk community from time to time.

29. - Top - End - #239

Added optimizer.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen NSFW occasionally applied to non-adult content that might still be unsuitable for a workplaces, libraries, etc. Specifically, I'm thinking of loud or obnoxious video or audio clips, large files that might get blocked by company servers or firewalls, etc. This usage is, in my experience, somewhat rarer than NSFW = sexually explicit or suggestive, but it might be worth mentioning nonetheless.