New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    How do you know? Janine should get Lloyd out there, although even if he does detect not evil, that's no guarantee he's good for their welfare, at least it's a start.
    Even then, there are plenty of ways to prevent detect evil from detecting whether you're evil or not.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Even then, there are plenty of ways to prevent detect evil from detecting whether you're evil or not.
    That shows up as "no reading" rather than "not evil".
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Suspicious cleric is suspicious...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

hmmmmm.....

is taking care of homeless children....

suddenly cleric shows up, claims their parents are assassinated and that he needs to take them away immediately.

Yea, I wouldn't trust him. It sounds like he was the assassin, he is in disguise and he is going to kill them once she is far enough away.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    hmmmmm.....

suddenly cleric shows up, claims their parents are assassinated and that he needs to take them away immediately.

Yea, I wouldn't trust him. It sounds like he was the assassin, he is in disguise and he is going to kill them once she is far enough away.
    Why would an assassin care about two homeless children? And none of that "destined to" stuff.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-03-04 at 07:33 PM.
    My Steam profile

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Why would an assassin care about two homeless children? And none of that "destined to" stuff.
    Evil Overlord List. Families of assassinated people tend to chuck spanners in all of your machines.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Plus, Janine has issues with Clerics and kids, remember?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Herpests right. destined to indeed.

cause sooner or alter they start asking the question "who're m'parents?" "where'd I come from?" "why am I an erphun?" that eventually leads thme to to their homeland which leads them to the overlord which leads to the Truth and leads to overthrowing.

that and in medieval times, blood was very important. to them blood = divine right to rule. no blood left, no divine right, vacuum for some else to claim a new divine right under their blood and establish a new dynasty. meaning the long lost prince thing is a little more threatening than you think, cause while they probably aren't that bad or anything, people say like......Littlefinger....who could take advantage of that, use them and their divine right as a puppet for their own rule.

so yeah. thats why he would care.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Because someone paid him to eliminate the whole family? Assassins don't kill because they have ulterior motives, they kill because someone else has ulterior motives. Without knowing who hired the assassin we can't know their motives so we have no idea how they're related to those kids dying. Just because we haven't seen the reason doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    hmmmmm.....

Been done too many times i think. From what i know of coffie, she likes to avoid, bend, and twist Tropes as much as possible.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

The cleric's not evil.
    Says who?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Maybe he wants to keep the kids under his thumb instead of killing them. If their parents were assassinated, they might have held political power, which Cyrus and Lucille are set to inherit. As their guardian, the cleric would be able to gain their trust and influence how they rule as adults.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

You know, he could genuinely be who he says he is too.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Yes but the consequences of believing he is when he isn't are much worse than the consequences of believing he isn't when he is.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

The cleric's not evil.
    How d'you know? Does Janine know?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #376
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    Yes but the consequences of believing he is when he isn't are much worse than the consequences of believing he isn't when he is.
    Exactly. Even if she wakes the children up and asks them whether they know this guy, there's still the chance he pretended to be a friend of the family while secretly planning to kill off the parents and get his hands on the orphans.

We'll see.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Barbarian in the Playground

I accept that there could be some sort of truly grim reality behind this new cleric but as far as my own immediate reaction to the update goes?

I may be jumping the gun here, but I think Janine may have just found the potential "someone" I was hoping for her to find...
    Think we're a little too early in the storyline for anything big to come of it yet though so...Meh. This could be the beginings of a genuine breakthrough for Janine though... (This is weird, because I'm hoping for this and I'm usually a very anti-romance type person. I must be going soft or something )

Also: Lix? Someone, somewhere might just have heard your demand for a false bearded Radic image... but who am I to say? [/OMINOUS]
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2011-03-05 at 08:40 AM.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Yeah, but then speculation is boooooooring

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    Also: Lix? Someone, somewhere might just have heard your demand for a false bearded Radic image... but who am I to say? [/OMINOUS]
    Ooooh, I wonder who? <3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    Been done too many times i think. From what i know of coffie, she likes to avoid, bend, and twist Tropes as much as possible.
    guy, it ain't about the tropes, its about the story, to think that a writer will do that just because of the trope thing is kinda foolish in my opinion.

that and when you become used to surprising people, wouldn't the biggest surprise at some point be not to surprise them?

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Exactly. Even if she wakes the children up and asks them whether they know this guy, there's still the chance he pretended to be a friend of the family while secretly planning to kill off the parents and get his hands on the orphans.

We'll see.
    What the hell?

Some homeless, starving kids appear. "They're probably faking as part of a con."

A cleric offers to take them in. "He's probably the one who orphaned them in the first place and he's going to kill them!"

The first one, I could understand...but the second one just comes out of left field. Yes, it's unlikely that an old friend just happened to come by. It's just as unlikely that an assassin who killed their parents would just happen by.

It's like you're exploiting the limits of probability to think of horrible things that could happen.

Seriously, what is there to suggest that the cleric isn't just a way to give some sort of happy ending to this part of the story and let Janine carry on the rest of the plot?

I'm most interested in the fact he mentioned a Fire Temple. More background on the religions of Aquear...but what is it? Is he really a druid and "cleric" is just a name denoting his place in a hierarchy? Is there any deity associated with this temple or just the abstract concept of "Fire" and "Light" in general? Are there temples for other elements that keep in contact with one another?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    What the hell?

Some homeless, starving kids appear. "They're probably faking as part of a con."

A cleric offers to take them in. "He's probably the one who orphaned them in the first place and he's going to kill them!"

The first one, I could understand...but the second one just comes out of left field. Yes, it's unlikely that an old friend just happened to come by. It's just as unlikely that an assassin who killed their parents would just happen by.

It's like you're exploiting the limits of probability to think of horrible things that could happen.

Seriously, what is there to suggest that the cleric isn't just a way to give some sort of happy ending to this part of the story and let Janine carry on the rest of the plot?

I'm most interested in the fact he mentioned a Fire Temple. More background on the religions of Aquear...but what is it? Is he really a druid and "cleric" is just a name denoting his place in a hierarchy? Is there any deity associated with this temple or just the abstract concept of "Fire" and "Light" in general? Are there temples for other elements that keep in contact with one another?
    There were four elementals involved in the story about the creation of the world. They helped make Salblaze and the other dragon. One of them was a fire elemental.

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #383
    Colossus in the Playground

Have I really made you guys that paranoid?

He's the cleric of one of the for Elemental Gods who helped make the world.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post

I think we outsmarted ourselves mostly.

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack217 View Post
    I think we outsmarted ourselves mostly.
    Nothing as exciting as thinking your way into a corner, eh?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

It's just not a decent world without elemental gods IMO :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post

Well, isn't it a remarkable coincidence that an old friend of the children's family should just happen to be there and never have noticed them until now, that they are already being taken care of?

If you ever read "A Series of Unfortunate Events" you'll understand why I suspect that guy.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2011-03-06 at 08:48 AM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post

Aw man. Does this mean my pet theory of "new cleric is an (eventual) romantic interest/foil for Janine" is out? ...No wait - don't tell me. I want to watch and find out!

...I am very open to gentle hints about how wrong I am with that guess.

Well, isn't it a remarkable coincidence that an old friend of the children's family should just happen to be there and never have noticed them until now, that they are already being taken care of?

If you ever read "A Series of Unfortunate Events" you'll understand why I suspect that guy.
    In fairness to Coffee/the story, I thought this was rather a neat coincidence too (as in, a little too tidy) but upon re-reading my take on the situation is as follows: the reason old family friend has been reunited with the twins is that he was in the area in the first place because he was actively searching them having heard of their parents' fate and was able to take an educated guess as to their whereabouts sure it's a little convenient story-wise that he only actually found them after he'd stopped looking and once Janine appeared on the scene, but once you examine the whole picture the situation is hardly entirely untrue to life. (Not that anyone actually said it was, I'm jus' sayin'...)
    My gut feeling is that this guy is pretty much legit.
    ...there again that was essentially what I thought about Rust until the strip where it became abundantly and undeniably clear that he was bad news, so take from that what you will!
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

29. - Top - End - #389
    Banned

DruidGirl

Well, of course something like this could happen in real life. Coincidences happen, and as you pointed out, he has a reason to be where he is.
    However, since this is a work of fiction, and such coincidences often turn out to be traps in fiction, I am paranoid about that stranger.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2011-03-06 at 10:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Well, of course something like this could happen in real life. Coincidences happen, and as you pointed out, he has a reason to be where he is.
    However, since this is a work of fiction, and such coincidences often turn out to be traps in fiction, I am paranoid about that stranger.
    Yep, that's what fiction and suspense are all about, doing something with very little chance of happening in real life just to catch you off guard.
    Of course, it's been used so many times that we're caught off guard if they do the mundane thing rather than the "unexpected" thing.
    My Steam profile