New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverberry View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    These are both great! And you have single-handedly showed me why Matt's attracted to Radic, she's beautiful!
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-03-11 at 02:29 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Eeeee! I love this I love this I love this!

...Would it be too rude for me to ask you to do the other characters? (Matt's blue streaks are actually his bangs, tied up with a kind of lockpick and dyed blue.)
    A decorative lock-pick? Well that could be useful if they were ever imprisoned...

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think I'd have done it anyway.
    Though I won't be as quick as with these two, since I'm not completely sure yet what I think the others would look like.

But the next one - when I have made up my mind - will be either Janine or Lloyd, methinks.

And I'm glad you seem to like it.
    Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.
    Both your fanart pieces are lovely and very interesting. There's an obvious style to both of them that's not quite real enough for realism and not quite exaggerated enough for animé/manga which I think strikes a nice balance and makes it more unique than a straight forward try at either style. I don't know if that's entirely deliberate or something of an artistic compromise but it works well either way!

As far as drawing the others goes I know what you mean about 'not knowing what they look like' the characters would all obviously be distinct but it can be hard to put together imaginary faces and we don't have a lot of clues about what they'd look like in the comic itself beyond how they're recieved by other characters and their ethnicities, which aren't taken directly from real world ethnicities in the first place and would have a lot of wriggle room left anyway!

I have drawn Lloyd and Janine with specifically different faces and had feedback on them from Coffee though. For your reference this first draft clashed with Coffee's vision of them but the second draftwas better recieved. In fairness to Coffee, Janine looks ridiculous in the close up in the first draft - her nose is far too big, her eyes too tiny and her whole face just unbalanced (this was because it's too reliant on my loose base sketch which captured the emotion I wanted really nicely but I lost the expression somewhere in the inking and was just left with the hugely exaggerated features) so she was right to call me out on it there, artistically speaking. I think the main problems with Lloyd though were a difference in interpretation of the character more than the artwork itself: she said his hair looked scruffier than it should do and she thinks of him as having more typically Korean features than the more Chinese/Japanese (I modeled him on a couple of different action film actors, both Chinese and Japanese hoping he'd come out looking very generically 'Asian') I gave him. The art wasn't exactly perfect either but I don't think the second draft art's a whole lot better, just more 'Lloyd' perhaps.
    I'm telling you this to give you inspiration, not to try and restrict your efforts, by the way!

Also, for anyone who's interested, it's obviously fanart season because I'm about 60% finished with a new fanart project that held my interest more than the fourth installment of my cover version of the strip I linked above. No idea when I'll get round to finishing it though, sadly and I can't compete with Silverberry in terms of shading! (I may not bother shading this project at all just so that I can get it to a stage where I can show it to people sooner.)
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

4. - Top - End - #424
    Pixie in the Playground

... Wow. Thank you so much for this great, elaborate post, Eleanor.

I think we're on the same page concerning thinking up appearances for characters. I mean, they are stick figures - there are, like, six million ways to interpret each of them. :)
    Okay, that also makes it interesting, even although there's just no way of drawing characters exactly the way they are actually supposed to look like, no matter how detailed Coffee's descriptions may be, because everyone envisions them a little different.
    But hey, that's why we're calling these things "fanart" and not "identikit pictures".

Even so, I'm afraid you unwittingly managed to throw me a little off balance here. I sorta, maybe, somehow drew a little sketch today; and instead of just going ahead and draw my next picture based on it, I now wonder whether it might be better to bother Coffee with it and tell her to correct me where I'm too terribly off the mark.
    Eh, I'll just go and work out some other outlines for a while.

The style is more or less an accident, by the way. I started out by going for realism, then tried manga/anime style because I thought it would be way easier to master (I was so dumb.). After a while I decided I didn't like it after all and wanted to get away from it a bit, et voilà - this is where I'm stuck now.

And yay for fanart season! Count me in.

(I hope this wasn't getting too OT. If so, I'm terribly sorry.)

5. - Top - End - #425
    Colossus in the Playground

Thank you, but you're right in that it's called fanart. I want to see your interpretation.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright, got the message and will act according to it.

7. - Top - End - #427

... Wow. Thank you so much for this great, elaborate post, Eleanor.

[...]

(I hope this wasn't getting too OT. If so, I'm terribly sorry.)
    Ooh, sorry I put you off there! As you guessed, that wasn't what I was trying to do.

If I were you I would go ahead and post the sketches you have - you're right, our imagined versions are never going to be the same as anyone else's and that includes Coffee's. I only mentioned the points she raised on mine to give you some possible leads on a direction to take. CWater's interpretation of Janine looks pretty different from mine, as in fact does Keveak's as do CWater's and Zanaril's Lloyds and Coffee hasn't made any comments on any version of her characters looking more like her vision of them over any other.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

8. - Top - End - #428

Exactly! I'm just commenting and saying what I interpret them as as well.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Pixie in the Playground

I know you were actually aiming for the opposite, so no need to apologize.
    And thank you again for your efforts, I really appreciate it.
    I'll see if I get something done tomorrow. :)

10. - Top - End - #430

Okay, I'm leaving around 6 PM and will be back later tonight. So update either late tonight or first thing tomorrow.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Pixie in the Playground

In case you update tonight, I probably won't be around to see it. What a shame.

But I think I've finished my version of Lloyd. I find that I just can't do any better as of now even though I'm not completely okay with it, so here goes.

Spoiler
    Show

He looks a tiny bit troubled in my opinion, but then again, it's only fitting, I guess.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

But I think I've finished my version of Lloyd. I find that I just can't do any better as of now even though I'm not completely okay with it, so here goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    snip

He looks a tiny bit troubled in my opinion, but then again, it's only fitting, I guess.
    He looks a bit confused, IMHO, but...

Dat Hair.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Too skinny, I think you're better at drawing girls.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-03-11 at 05:00 PM.
    My Steam profile

14. - Top - End - #434

You're really great at drawing hair, you know that? However, yeah. Lloyd's a Fighter/Paladin. He's on the bulky side. Matt's the fragile speedster and Tinder's in the middle.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Pixie in the Playground

I have more practice drawing female characters, so you're both right - there's something I really have to work on.
    Maybe I will come back to him later and do it better than this time. Like I said, that's what I can do right now.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

He looks very bishie to me.
    Reminds me of Eliwood from Fire Emblem.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Reminds me of Marth from Fire Emblem.
    FTFY

18. - Top - End - #438
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Reminds me of Eliwood from Fire Emblem.
    I assure you that's purely coincidence.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    FTFY
    Marth has different hair. xD
    Also, I haven't played his games.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

He does look like Marth! I can't believe I didn't notice that!

FYI, first time I saw Marth, I thought he was a girl.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-03-11 at 05:33 PM.
    My Steam profile

21. - Top - End - #441

Sorry it's taking so long. I had a REALLY bad day, and when I came home it was either play Pokemon or curl into a little ball and cry.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry it's taking so long. I had a REALLY bad day, and when I came home it was either play Pokemon or curl into a little ball and cry.
    Pokemon?
    My Steam profile

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Pokemon?
    As a distraction from the Unspecified Badness of the Day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

(hugs LOTS)

25. - Top - End - #445
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, don't worry about it. Your happiness should come first for you.

26. - Top - End - #446

Well, to make a long story short, remember the science competition I was going to go to next week? The state science competition? And I'm a senior, so it's my last one ever?

Well, THE TEACHER IN CHARGE DIDN'T SEND IN THE FORMS ON TIME, SO OUR WHOLE TEAM GOT DISQUALIFIED!

Which is why I'm playing Pokemon White. As well as the "Getting through the game bit".
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2011-03-11 at 07:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    As a distraction from the Unspecified Badness of the Day.
    Why pokemon? The card game is bad, and the video games are highly redundant. The only thing I really like are the pokemon mystery dungeon games.
    My Steam profile

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Why pokemon? The card game is bad, and the video games are highly redundant. The only thing I really like are the pokemon mystery dungeon games.
    Matter of opinion. There's an entire Pokemon thread on here, and we're on #8.
    Well, to make a long story short, remember the science competition I was going to go to next week? The state science competition? And I'm a senior, so it's my last one ever?

Well, THE TEACHER IN CHARGE DIDN'T SEND IN THE FORMS ON TIME, SO OUR WHOLE TEAM GOT DISQUALIFIED!

Which is why I'm playing Pokemon White. As well as the "Getting through the game bit".
    Wow... That's... bad. I don't remember, was it like a science fair or more of a Jeopardy thing? If the former, what was your project?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #449

Ouch. Sorry your trip got wrecked, Coffee.

Silverberry, what everyone says about the hair is true. I've not got the hang of the stuff yet myself. I quite like the armour design too, what we can see of it is quite interesting.

Finally, an odd/random question for Coffee: is Radic religious? We know Lloyd and Janine follow Astrid and I think Serrin follows Isarus and Don, I seem to remember that whilst Aequar has a version of Tiamat, Tinder doesn't really do religion especially and I'm kind of drawing a blank with Matt but know he doesn't follow Isarus and Don and don't think he's in Astrid's church. I get the impression the Quillas don't really subscribe to any religions because of the whole 'no pilgramages' thing?
    Current avatar by Zefir

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what helps me when I'm upset? GIFs of Hugs.

May All Of Your Sadness Be Hugged away.