New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Oh, I don't know. Lyrical content aside, she could have a lovely singing voice.

Also, if Serrin and Matt did get married and have kids, would they be Quarter-elves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Actually, they would be human with slight elven characteristics. If Matt was an elf and they were married, the children would be elves with slight human characteristics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakonzeta View Post
    science!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Those are real world genetics, perhaps in Aquear it is diffrent.
    Quote Originally Posted by HypoSoc View Post
    SCIENCE!
    Putting aside your wanton catgirl slaughtering, , I believe in canonical d&d, half-elf isn't literal. A half-elf, quarter-elf, or eighth-elf, and etcetera to an unspecified amount of elfiness, all use the same rules.

Of course, Coffee can change anything she wants. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Genetics... Don't... work... that... way....

"Species" (used in the broadest of terms since procreation is possible so elves and humans are the same species) are not defined by a single allele variation. Each and every single characteristic has a half-chance to be either. From the ears, to sleep dependency, to constitution, each has a half chance to come from one or the other. This doesn't even count Dominant, Recessive and Partially Dominant genes that would allow for traits that are present in neither to occur, or the forced mutation that occurs in Meiosis.
    [/genetics]
    That is completely true, but half elves are as generic as any race (Assuming any stat plusses or minuses are mutations). However, by real genetics, such a race would be widely varied. D&D uses simplified crossings, thus my idea was simplified. Goodness, if real genetics would be applied to half-elves, each one would be enormously different....
    Please do not call me drak. It irritates me.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

That is completely true, but half elves are as generic as any race (Assuming any stat plusses or minuses are mutations). However, by real genetics, such a race would be widely varied. D&D uses simplified crossings, thus my idea was simplified. Goodness, if real genetics would be applied to half-elves, each one would be enormously different....
    How so? Phenotypicly anyway Elves aren't much more then tall thin humans with an extended life span and pointed ears...

...Really Elves are just white basketball players who happen to be members of greenpeace.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, Gicko, Elves are on average a foot shorter than human's.

And for the other things, there is an actual rule in DnD about this. Children concieved by a half-elf and either one of the other species will result in the full blooded species. Meaning that in the game, the child would have all the same stats as the Human/Elf that is married with the Half-Elf. However, the child will have some characteristics of the other species as well. A human child may have slight tips at the ears as well as a slight elven apperance while the Elf child may have slightly rounded at the top ears and be slighlty taller than normal.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Genetics... Don't... work... that... way....

In scenario I, any offspring would have 1/2 of a chance to be human, and 1/2 of a chance to be half-elves. In scenario II, offspring would have 1/2 chance to be elven, and 1/2 of a chance to be half-elven.

[/genetics]
    That's assuming 'half-elf' is a different species and genetics don't work THAT way in the real world either.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-03-19 at 10:35 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

Page two is "finished".

Spoiler
    Show

I'm having a lot of fun making this.
    More readable version can be found here.

I have no idea where Radic got the new clothes from. None.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

SCIENCE!!!
    It's actually even worse. Some traits may be expressed only if they come from the mother, and some traits may be expressed only if the came from the father. This is due to something called genomic imprinting which can 'tag' genes so they're not expressed. Different genes are tagged in mothers and fathers.

This is why mules and hinnys are different.

And catgirls are only killed if real-world physics is debated. Given Coffee's aversion to physics, this should probably be avoided.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

I think 1/4 elves and 3/4 elves are considered half-elves, in the Eberron campaign setting book, they got a half-elf born to an elf and a half-elf as a sample NPC.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

That's what I said but nobody listened.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

10. - Top - End - #580

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    That's what I said but nobody listened.
    Personally I like to go with half eles being incredibly varied and unpredictable and any mix of elves and humans being "hybrids" and it being an individual's opinion as to whether they're half elves or humans with elven relatives or whatever - like human nationality, basically. My understanding of d&d rules is that you can pretty much take 'em or leave 'em depending on your group and campaign anyway. As for Aequar half elves and their offspring.... yeah, we basically just have to make up our minds for ourselves until Coffee mentions anything about it.

Erm... not to be incredibly egocentric or anything, but did anybody notice the fancomic page I posted? It has a half elf in it...
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

I liked it, but I forget where in the plot it's from. DXD

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

However, I think 1/8 elves are human and 7/8 elves are elf.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

13. - Top - End - #583

It's an original scene so basically it didn't happen. The imaginary setting is pre-Kylie exposition though although at the same time possibly in a version of the Murphy's Law universe where Janine at least suspects Lloyd isn't straight? It's hypothetical off-panel/ free time time (maybe after the love potion debacle but before Saphrin's little friendly talk with the guys? in the end it's essentially irrevelent.) I wrote it and drew the base sketches very shortly after the following conversation:

RANDOM OFF THE WALL THEORY TO CREATE CONVERSATION

What would happen if (team member) was actually a shapeshifter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonus View Post
    Well Tinder is a shapeshifter, isn't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Janine might actually be able to get with Lloyd?
    I meant shapeshifter like changeling. But I like Kyuubi's answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    It is possible for her to get with Lloyd assuming he is not strictly homosexual. Maybe if she changed a bit he would like her more.

At least how I see it, Lloyd might be like Lucas and Cadugan in Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic. [..] Just my thoughts on that.

Radic: Could go male to avoid the advances of Matt.
    Matt: Not really sure, Maybe use it to escape law enforcement. I mean he did start out this comic clearly as a thief type.
    Janine: Like Kyuubi said, she might go male (once Team Gale knows about Lloyd's sexual orientation) to attract his attention. But then there is what I said above that might mean she could get his attention as a female.
    Tinder: I don't really know too much about how he thinks.
    Lloyd: He could enter a more "traditional" relationship with Lexi but, as they are already together, they probably don't care too much about that.
    Serrin: God (or Coffee) knows what goes on in her head to even guess how that might affect (or is it effect) how she acts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    She could get one of them false beards.
    Someone arty draw this. Other than Coffee, she's busy. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    I meant emotionally/mentally, though now that you mention it that sounds great.
    I think Kyuubi was thinking that Janine could turn male, rather than turn into Lexi or someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Exactly. Maybe she'd turn into the guy from the old spice commercial?

Anybody in the mood to make a spoof of that?
    Then life intervened until about yesterday and I couldn't do much about it. (An old spice commercial spoof would have been funny but I think I'm too lazy to do one for y'all).
    Part one is on page 19 I think?
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2011-03-19 at 01:27 PM.
    Current avatar by Zefir

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, okay. (nodnod)

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

The first one looked like it was going in a lesbian direction. Very promising.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #586
    Pixie in the Playground

Er... who's Kylie?

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoupLadle View Post
    Er... who's Kylie?
    V's mate...

...wait, that's Kyrie... was Kylie Serrin's mom?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SoupLadle View Post
    Er... who's Kylie?
    She's the Drow merchant who recognized Lloyd as the man who killed her brother and led the attack on her village.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    V's mate...

...wait, that's Kyrie... was Kylie Serrin's mom?
    Serrin's mom is Saphrin.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

20. - Top - End - #590
    Pixie in the Playground

She's the Drow merchant who recognized Lloyd as the man who killed her brother and led the attack on her village.
    Oh, right. I'm usually better with names than this.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Colossus in the Playground

Haha, I think I'm gonna enjoy this, Eleanor.

As for the genetics...I guess you should think of mixed-breed dogs. Except that in this case, most of the genes are codominant.

22. - Top - End - #592

The first one looked like it was going in a lesbian direction. Very promising.
    [looks back at comic and sees perfectly platonic conversation between two women]
    Huh.
    [looks back at name of poster who claimed comic looked like it was going in a lesbian direction]
    Ah.
    Spot of wishful thinking there methinks, Asta.

Thanks for this; I was going to link back to the comic that gave her name and then couldn't find it so it's probably an easier detail to forget than I first thought!

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Haha, I think I'm gonna enjoy this, Eleanor.

As for the genetics...I guess you should think of mixed-breed dogs. Except that in this case, most of the genes are codominant.
    Mixed-breed dogs was actually what I base my thoughts on what half-elves should be like -take the labradoodle for a popular example; supposedly you breed a lab and a poodle and you get a desperately willing to please, obedient and loyal dog (labrador characteristics, although our first lab was only willing to please herself, so this varies even within labs) which is very bright and has fur that does not cast and thus should be more suited to owners with mild allergies (poodle characteristics) but sometimes you just get a dumb stubborn dog who sheds like mad (the 'bad' characteristics of both - labs can be pretty smart but poodles are meant to be smarter and I can vouch for labs being heavy shedders from personal experience). I adore dogs of all shapes and sizes so if I can relate something back to dogs, or more specifically my own dogs or ones I walk for other people, I often will.

And I'm working on page three now so if I don't get too distracted I'll probably be posting it later tonight. In retrospect the pages would probably work best if I'd just waited and posted them all as links in one post, but I've started so I'll finish...
    Current avatar by Zefir

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    [looks back at comic and sees perfectly platonic conversation between two women]
    Huh.
    [looks back at name of poster who claimed comic looked like it was going in a lesbian direction]
    Ah.
    Spot of wishful thinking there methinks, Asta.
    You... honestly don't see how panel 2 and 3 could be misinterpreted? Perhaps I spend too much time in the Explicit section over at the SGU forums.

― Tim Fargo

24. - Top - End - #594

You... honestly don't see how panel 2 and 3 could be misinterpreted? Perhaps I spend too much time in the Explicit section over at the SGU forums.
    Hahaha. No, I did think when I finished that page that it gave off a kind of weird slash-fic vibe but I was hoping that was just me because I honestly didn't write it with that in mind Should have known you'd have pointed it out if you were going to comment on it. Thanks for taking the time to read it anyhoo!

EDITED TO ADD:

Page three is ready.

Spoiler
    Show

I wasn't kidding when I said this thing wrote itself. The ideas just came to me a little faster than I was working - it was a bit of a CoffeeIncluded moment! (with admittedly weirder results)

Also, points to anybody who gets the name reference. Special imaginary internet points. If Coffee's online when this goes up I hope she'll get it at least...

Larger, clearer version is here

...And Asta? I wrote the plot and dialogue to all four pages of this a while ago, but I positioned Janine's left hand in panel 1 with you in mind. (Still entirely U/PG content guys, no worries)
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2011-03-20 at 09:16 PM. Reason: To Avoid Double Posting
    Current avatar by Zefir

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

That mustache is amazing. O__O
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Well, sometimes people like Janine only get that you mean "No!" if you stomp on them and their feelings much like he just did. That being said, it still makes you feel bad for having to hurt their feelings.

So: aaaawwwww, poor Janine!
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

27. - Top - End - #597

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    That mustache is amazing. O__O
    Why, thank you!

I'm fairly sure you'd need a not insignificant amount of product to support such a glorious 'tache without the aid of magic but hey ho... the glory of fantasy settings and cartoony styles...
    (A tiny curlicue of the moustache is visible in page two if you look hard enough but I can't really see how it could have been the size it is now and not have been a little more visible from the back. I claim artistic lisence... unless it was still growing in page 2...?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Well, sometimes people like Janine only get that you mean "No!" if you stomp on them and their feelings much like he just did. That being said, it still makes you feel bad for having to hurt their feelings.

So: aaaawwwww, poor Janine!
    Part of me thinks that this is indeed what she needs, although Lloyd's practically already done it in the real comic so... I dunno. I guess we've not really seen her come on to him strongly since the scene with Matt and the cookies though, have we? Can't remember.
    It still comes across as rather harsh, particularly as in this scenario she wasn't even doing anything (apart from introducing him in terms that made it clear that she still "liked" him)... Ouch.
    Current avatar by Zefir

28. - Top - End - #598
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    Never mind...apparently, Discworld has its own Hedgehog Song...I thought she was referring to a much different Hedgehog Song.
    You mean, she isn't going to sing the Discworld hedgehog song?

And I was looking forward to finally find out what the lyrics are...

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post

The Hedgehog Song.

― Tim Fargo

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post

A very interesting link but I prefer to think of it as A Hedgehog Song (An Hedgehog Song? surely not? I'm not French!).

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad, UK paperback edition, dedication
    to all those people - and why not? - who, after the publication of Wyrd Sisters, deluged the author with their version of the words of 'The Hedgehog Song'. Deary deary me...
    It's like Lewis Carroll's "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" the intended answer is basically whatever's the most amusing or logical conclusion for you personally as a reader. I'd be pretty disappointed with an "official definitive version" of The Hedgehog Song's lyric or the answer to the Mad Hatter's riddle, but seeing various people's thoughts on both is fun. (I'm a Pratchett lightweight so my knowledge of references to the song are limited. I've read... the first six or so Discworld novels and all his children's books? It's quite a vast series and I tend to need to concentrate more than usual to enjoy them). I think my favourite answer to the riddle is probably "Edgar Allan Poe wrote on both" but there's not an answer as far as I'm concerned and there's the fun of it.

But for those people (like my sister) who just feel that they have to know these things and get really frustrated when they can't, that link is a pretty dang good place to go - you can really see they put a lot of thought into it.
    Current avatar by Zefir