New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Question: Does Lloyd trigger your "gaydar" at all?
    Not really. It's hard to tell if he would or not in real life, since this is a comic. But if I had to guess, I'd say probably not.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 6: Will we ever stop burning through threads so quickly?

Thank you CWater! And don't worry, the grammar was just fine. A LOT better than most native speakers, let me tell you.

About Serrin stabbing the goblin...To be honest, looking back, I don't like it too much either. It seems like more of a Matt thing. I'll try to fix it up in present day, but yeah, she's a bit OOC there...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

About Serrin stabbing the goblin...To be honest, looking back, I don't like it too much either. It seems like more of a Matt thing. I'll try to fix it up in present day, but yeah, she's a bit OOC there...
    I don't really agree. I know a couple of old guys (WWII vets) who are kind, loving and gentle and wouldn't hesitate to blow your brains out if you came against their family. It's perfectly believable to me that someone could be as innocent looking as Serrin and still be all business when the weapons come out. They aren't mutually exclusive qualities.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I don't really agree. I know a couple of old guys (WWII vets) who are kind, loving and gentle and wouldn't hesitate to blow your brains out if you came against their family. It's perfectly believable to me that someone could be as innocent looking as Serrin and still be all business when the weapons come out. They aren't mutually exclusive qualities.
    You're disagreeing with the author on a character trait of one of her own characters
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You're disagreeing with the author on a character trait of one of her own characters
    Yes. Yes I am.

6. - Top - End - #96

Maybe. *Shrugs*

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Hello,
    Let me first say that I've been reading Murphy's Law for a while now and the desire to comment on it was one of the main reasons I finally got around to joining the site (you should feel proud). I had my doubts at first (as I do with all fan comics) but, Coffee, you've really got something great here. I really like the characters you've created as well as the plot. While there are spots that could use some work, this is one of my favorite webcomics (not just fan comic). I honestly get just as excited about Murphy's Law updating as I do about OotS.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey... shouldn't we be discussing the horrible thing that Happened to Janine? here's what we know so far:

*It involved Orcs
    *It possibly happened in involved a bar in some way (happy now, Tangible?)
    *There was a guy named Roark
    *And a guy named Forde.

There's enough evidence to make a completely improbable guess as to what happened.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2011-02-07 at 06:23 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Hey... shouldn't we be discussing the horrible thing that Happened to Janine? here's what we know so far:

*It involved Orcs
    *It happened in a bar
    *And a guy named Forde.

There's enough evidence to make a completely improbable guess as to what happened.
    We don't know this.

>.>

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

We don't know this.

>.>
    Why else would she be afraid to enter?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Why else would she be afraid to enter?
    This indicates sorrow, nervousness or guilt. What makes you sure it's fear?

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Fine. I changed it.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Fine. I changed it.
    The point of including the extra emotions besides nervousness in there was that we don't know it involved a bar AT ALL.

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #104

Guys, guys, calm down. All will be answered in time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeSpark View Post
    Hello,
    Let me first say that I've been reading Murphy's Law for a while now and the desire to comment on it was one of the main reasons I finally got around to joining the site (you should feel proud). I had my doubts at first (as I do with all fan comics) but, Coffee, you've really got something great here. I really like the characters you've created as well as the plot. While there are spots that could use some work, this is one of my favorite webcomics (not just fan comic). I honestly get just as excited about Murphy's Law updating as I do about OotS.
    Thank you, seriously. Things like this mean a lot to me.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Yes. Yes I am.
    How very postmodern of you

In all seriousness though, I have to agree with Marnath here. Serrin turning into a competent, strictly business fighter when needed doesn't feel at all wrong next to her bubbly innocence. It totally works.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unleet View Post
    How very postmodern of you

In all seriousness though, I have to agree with Marnath here. Serrin turning into a competent, strictly business fighter when needed doesn't feel at all wrong next to her bubbly innocence. It totally works.
    Correction: it CAN work, if coffee wants it that way. But she already said Serrin was being ooc.

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #107

Correction: it CAN work, if coffee wants it that way. But she already said Serrin was being ooc.
    Maybe. I need to speak with Serrin for a bit. She was a bit...Off? There. I need to find out exactly what.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2011-02-07 at 09:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it does seem a little OOC for me as well Coffee. Maybe its because we've done a few of those Roleplaying chats back and forth, so I have the same mind set about her. Though if you think about it, if she tries to act like her mother, it wouldn't be too far OOC.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2011-02-07 at 09:12 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Though if you think about it, if she tries to act like her mother, it wouldn't be too far OOC.
    That's pretty much exactly why I think it made perfect sense.

Edit: Coffee, been reading this since about thread #2. Don't think I'm saying this as an "I know your story better than you" rant. I only just realized I could be coming off that way. Do take it as "don't be so hard on yourself, it's better than you think".
    Last edited by unleet; 2011-02-07 at 09:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

*It involved Orcs
    *And a guy named Forde.

So... was there a Forde in the Roark, or a Roark in the Forde....?
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M@XWeru View Post
    Question: Does Lloyd trigger your "gaydar" at all?
    Paladin.

'Nuff said.
    You would say this in The Playground: home and birthplace of the rabid O-Chul fanbase? Truly, sirrah, you are a braver man than I (assuming here that you are in fact a man, which I am not...)

Really? Then I'd like to hear your feel of Matt and Tinder, please.
    I'm not sure what you're asking for exactly, character analysis? I guess I could try.

I think two basic things apply with both Matt and Tinder that make me feel I 'know' them better than the rest of the party: their introductions and their range.

More in depth stuff, spoilered for wordiness:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For me, Matt was the first character in the comic to get a proper introduction - we pretty much met him in situ and because of the way he joins the party we can see his personality and a bit about his background almost straight away. Matt's introduction is also one of the main places we see what Lloyd's like as a person. I like Lloyd, but he tends to strike me as quite a straight forward 'straight-man and party leader' figure. We've been shown that Lloyd isn't infallable but so far he's always been pretty quick at realising his wrong doings and atoning for the bad behaviour. With Matt we see somebody who can be told that they are in the wrong (anti-elven agenda) but is much harder to convince. As far as the elves go, he changed his tune pretty quickly about the Peakanes, but as far as I recall he's still prone to thinking of the family as the exception to the rule - meeting them was an eye opener for him and he might give pause before mouthing off about elven arrogance to an elf in person now, straight away, but his overall mentality doesn't seem to have been fundamentally changed by the experience.
    As far as 'range' goes, we've seen Matt in some pretty serious circumstances - we saw him shoot a child and we've seen the fall out from that - but there's also a lot of levity to the character - the panel of Matt downing the cookies in the background of Lloyd and Janine's drama is quite easily the funniest thing I've seen in the comic so far.
    What I like about Matt is that he is so fallible and that there is humour to him too. He knows he can be a bit of a screw up, and so he tries to remedy that but because he's human it doesn't always work out. I also find his relationship with the 'loveable rogue' archetype, the fact that he's so aware of its existence and that he tries to live up to it but the fact is that he just isn't that smooth and sometimes he just comes off as incredibly dorky/ a jerk.
    Tinder is similar in this regard (range). His backstory is incredibly dark but he seems to have found a way to cope with it and even look back on the tragedy with a hint of black humour - we've seen that Tinder has suffered terrible things and generally doesn't have it easy, this could have made him an incredibly angsty character, but he isn't: he'll make jokes with the rest of them and he's not tragic and wounded and pitiful enough to prevent him from taking the time to merrily wallow in a sack of gold coins.
    Tinder's introduction to the comic was a nice blend of expositionary back story and honest to goodness action and it plot to it too. I know quite a long time was spent on Serrin's introduction to the party too, but when we met Serrin we also met a family of five other members, plus familiars, and apart from the fact that she's energetic and enthusiastic, I didn't pick up a lot about her as a person. When we met Tinder he was reacting to a much more intense situation; you learn more about a person when you see how they respond to things.
    I like Tinder as a character because he's laid back and he's honest, occaisonally blunt. You've said that Miles is the most observant/analytical character in Murphy's Law's cast, for me that honour goes no question to Tinder (not saying he's more these things than Miles is but as one of the six leads we have and should have seen more of Tinder than we have of Miles) who's been shown to be very astute about emotional matters, etc. He's also very good at containing himself. In the most recent comic Radic says 'We're all here, even Tinder' and a couple of people have questioned this, but the thing is that of the five of them Tinder probably has the most reason to be angry about what Lloyd did due to his background, however because Tinder is a very rational and reasonable person and because of his experience with unrepentent murderers, Tinder was able to accept the fact that Lloyd has changed since then; he, unlike Serrin, contextualises the information.

So um... phoo. There's a bit about my thoughts on Matt and Tinder and how I see their characters. Does that answer your question at all?

CWater: you made a lot of interesting points in your 'review'. I'd respond to a couple of them but I've been sitting and typing for long enough now, perhaps I'll come back to it later.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

22. - Top - End - #112
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    Except you didn't.
    Really? Oh, well, that is nice to hear.

And I must say I'm surprised that someone actually bothered to read through my whole twaddling text.

Thank you CWater! And don't worry, the grammar was just fine. A LOT better than most native speakers, let me tell you.
    Okay, good to hear. I know I'm always a little paranoid when writing longer texts in foreign languages. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    CWater: you made a lot of interesting points in your 'review'. I'd respond to a couple of them but I've been sitting and typing for long enough now, perhaps I'll come back to it later.
    I hope you will, I'd very much like to hear what others think of the story too. Some things can be perceived in so many different ways.

Liked your thoughts of Matt and Tinder by the way, and I agree with you on the most parts of it. (Matt also happens to be my favourite character, though I like to draw Lloyd most for some reason.)

EDIT:
    Hmm, I gave that scene an another thought this evening, and came to think that maybe Serrin doesn't just really...understand death. Note that I'm not saying that she wouldn't value life, on the contrary sorta, but that she wouldn't truly understand what it means when someone dies. And that someone defeated in battle is just as much dead as someone who dies from other reasons. It wouldn't be too hard to believe, I mean, death is a little different happening in their world to begin with; it can be reversed and they probably even know that there is an afterlife.
    I dunno, just a thought.

...Not sure if I got the point across. I'm a little tired, so my sentences might not make sense.
    Last edited by CWater; 2011-02-08 at 03:22 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

23. - Top - End - #113

Thank you! And I really like your analyses of Matt and Tinder, Eleanor. And hm, I never really thought about that, CWater. I'll have to have a conversation with Serrin about that.

Ooh, guess what, guys? I'm taking a creative writing class now. Pretty much everything I do in that class will be drabbles on Murphy's Law and its prequels/sequels, and I'll be posting them alongside the comic strips which they represent.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2011-02-08 at 10:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

*It involved Orcs
    *There was a guy named Roark Quark
    *And a guy named Forde.
    Fixed it. We also know that Quark was an orc and was either strange or charming.

Ooh, guess what, guys? I'm taking a creative writing class now. Pretty much everything I do in that class will be drabbles on Murphy's Law and its prequels/sequels, and I'll be posting them alongside the comic strips which they represent.
    So you can work on the comic AND schoolwork at the same time? That's great!

And they have been punished for it. The thing was that Ethan was about to execute all of them. Lloyd came up with the fastest solution he could think of. He could have done better, but...
    I know this was at least 3 topics ago, but I need to ask WHERE? Unless you're talking about the half of the bandits who were killed before surrendering.
    Last edited by Raging Gene Ray; 2011-02-09 at 03:14 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quark? foo, there goes my pun.

Ohh caffeinated one, creative writing classes are good as long as you remember two things,

1. the various writing prompts are intended to give you practice, not write good stuff for the prompts,
    2. take any and all critiques with a grain of salt, same as you would here. Just because they are also in or teaching a creative writing class does NOT make their opinion that much more valid. They are all WRITERS, not editors, not readers (exactly), not critics.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

I've got it! Rust is an Erinye! Their description in the monster manual is that they're fallen angels who aren't afraid to use their heritage to pose as celestials.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-09 at 10:52 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    I've got it! Rust is an Erinye! Their description in the monster manual is that they're fallen angels who aren't afraid to use their heritage to pose as celestials.
    They're also all female. They look like this:

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Rust could be a post-op FtM transsexual Erinye.

It could happen!

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

They're also all female. They look like this:

You're wrong, the description says they resemble comely men or women.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-10 at 01:52 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    No. The Erinyes were born from the battle between Cronus and Ouranos. Cronus castrated his father with a flint sickle, and the blood that dropped into the oceans became the Erinyes. There are at least three - Alecto ("unceasing"), Megaera ("grudging") and Tisiphone ("avenging murder") - but there may be more out there.

Sometimes I wonder what the Greek poets were smoking.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo